Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Thank you! I've been in danger of losing my fingers or fracturing my scull by propping my 1995 Maxima hood up with a broken broom handle for the last 3 years.

I have looked around but never found an affordable replacement. If my local Auto Zone confirms that your part # and price will work for my 1995, I'll be asking for your address to ship a bottle of wine.
  • josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    I've got a rear seatbelt buckle that locks correctly but is sticky when you try to release it. Pushing release all the way down and it sometimes doesn't want to release.

* Has anyone else had this problem?
    * Gotten it fixed?
    * Did the dealer charge you anything?
    (I'm at 20,000 miles)

Thanks,
    jl
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I believe that all Nissans have a "vehicle life time" warranty on any of the safety related items.

Check your owners manual for warranty specifics.

They should repair it for free (unless of course someone stuck a coin in the mechanism that's what happened to mine) or poured a soda into it, or something goofy like that. Then they might charge you something.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I refuse to believe that any manufacturer would have a lifetime waranty on safety related items. For example, would you expect Nissan to replace your malfunctioning ABS brake unit after warranty expiration? Or your foglights when they burn out? Or weathered or delaminating windshield glass? There could be some rare exceptions, notably those things that never or very rarely break.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the difference...and im amazed by your lack of deductive reasoning...between the items you stated and seatbelts, is the fact that seatbelts are a legal requirement. fog lights and ABS are optional safety equipment. glass wearing out is based on the conditions in which you drive. fact is, every manufacturer covers seatbelts for at least 10 years.
    Actually, my deductive reasoning is not that bad - I verified that while Nissan provides lifetime warranty on the seatbelts for my 98 Maxima, the warranty on the air bag system is only 5 years/60k miles (covered for some reason under powertrain coverage), not ten years, not lifetime. This is because seatbelts are simple mechanical devices, they rarely break, and and costs associated with fixing or replacing seatbelts are low compared to replacing or repairing air bags or associated components. Air bags are just as mandated by law as are seatbelts.

I was responding to post # 7460, namely to the statement that "Nissan provides lifetime warranty on ANY of the safety related items". Well, even a pedal mounted brake light switch is a safety related item.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Post #7460 clearly said

"I believe that all Nissans have a "vehicle life time" warranty on any of the safety related items.
    Check your owners manual for warranty specifics."

In addition, the post heading was "Seatbelt" and was in response to a direct question about seatbelts, not all of the items you listed.

You mis-quoted me and/or mis-read my post.
  • bbee_wbbee_w Member Posts: 1
    It's common that 02 maxima headlights are being stolen. mine just got stolen again(the 2nd time)! i mean it's a wonderful car but i can't drive it. any suggestions anyone??
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Put in 2000/2001 lights. These wont be as strong as yours, but they are quite adequate. They will fit with a little adjustment (they are actually slightly smaller). Talk to someone who could do this for you. Nobody's going to steal those.
  • g00chg00ch Member Posts: 10
    I just got my car (2000 SE) back today from Brown and Brown Nissan in Mesa, AZ and had my rotors resurfaced. They just got in an on-car lathe so now my braking is as smooth as silk! It almost doesn't feel normal to not have the darned vibration and pulsating!
    Your rotors may be smooth now, but they are even thinner now after having been turned, and are more susceptible to warpage. So I suspect that they will not stay true for very long. How is it possible that I have no rotor problems at all on my 98 Maxima SE at 72K miles? What did Nissan change in 200 to make these rotors so distortion prone?
    you probably just drive different. i use the engine to brake quite often. my last new car got to 81k before i even had to replace front pads. i never touched the rotors.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I just got my letter. Nissan will install "new securing devices" and new "identification technology" for free on HID's in NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI. Check your mail. Sounds like they listened (or feared lawsuits).
    I asked the same question a while back and was told that Nissan did indeed change the rotor / brake design for 2000 and it has led to a lot of complaints.

In 9+ years and 145,000 miles, my 1995 SE 5-speed total brake work has consisted of:

90,000 miles: new front pads; rotors untouched
    105,000 miles: new rear pads; rotors untouched
    140,000 miles: new front pads again; rotors untouched.

That's it. I drive a fair amount of highway miles, but I don't use the clutch to brake the car (which is also original, wiht no problems).
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I also received a letter from Nissan today indicating that a new theft deterrent device and HID identification system will be instituted on all 02-03 Max at no charge. It's about time Nissan does something to correct the defective HID design.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Can anyone recommend a good Nissan dealer service dept. in the Boston area. Have any of you Bostonians had any positive experiences.

My son has a Sentra with 17,000 stop and go miles
    on it and Ira Nissan is telling him that ALL
    4 rotors are rusty and if they machine the rotors
    ( now at 22 mm. thickness) then the rotors will be at their minimum (20 mm.). They told him he needs 4 new rotors. How can you possibly wear down
    4 rotors in 1 year and 17,000 miles ?? Gotta be a manufacturing defect.
    it may be a defect, but i have a feeling you are dealing with a crappy service dept. "rusty"?!?!?!

every brake rotor gets oxidation on it if it sits outside more than 12 hours. this oxidation goes away within the 1st 2 or 3 stops. this is a fact of life since disc brakes have been around.

OTOH, if your son waits till the last minute, and stomps on the brakes, that will do the rotors just as quick as the pads. and dont say "ive ridden with him...he doesnt do that." anytime my parents are in the car, i drive like a grandpa...and im 30...lol.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    You are absolutely correct. I don't trust the
    Ira Nissan service dept. That's why I asked for
    suggestions as to what other Boston area Dealer
    has a good service dept.

Actually, my son is your age, and married with
    2 kids. I'm trying to understand why the ROTORS
    are at minimum after 1 year and the PADS are OK !
    I've not seen the car. Either this is all BS or
    it's a manufacturing defect. I've suggested to him
    to get a second opinion. I've done a search here at Edmunds and no one else has had this problem.

I'll keep ya posted. Meanwhile, My 2k2 Max is
    still awesome. I have heard that there may be a recall on the 3.5 engine for engine crank position
    and cam position sensors. Customers will be notified beginning in Dec.
    All rotors develop surface rust very quickly when they get wet. If I wash my car and do not drive it right after washing, the rotors will be covered with rust in less than one hour. This is very thin surface rust, which will be removed by applying the brakes once of twice. But to have 2 mm deep rust on rotors, you would have to leave them submerged in sea water for six months. Just my 2 cents.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    When the thieves in New England can't steal the hid's there, they will just move to other jurisdictions (Philly/Baltimore/DC/Hampton Roads. Nissan should be smart and cover ALL 02-03's. I'm sure they'll get the message.
    We drive two cars - still have original pads and the rotors were never cut on one of them - 2002 RSX-S with about 41K miles (driven mostly hard). Our 2001 Maxima has had a number of brake jobs in 50K miles. I am at a point where the front pads outlive the front rotors by a margin!

Typically, I'd be able to cut the front rotors twice (at about 10K mile intervals) without replacing the pads. After that the rotors are too thin to cut again. And at that point the front pads would still have plenty of meat left in them. Then I put new rotors in and change the pads only because it doesn't seem right to have a brand new rotor with an old pad. But if I never changed the front pads they'd still be good now at 50K miles, judging by how little wear they actually accumulate.

I definitely feel there's a problem with Nissans brake system.
    The sad thing is that 95 - 99 Maximas had good brakes. Why can't they leave good things alone? I would be far happier if they left Maxima design just the way it was in 99 and instead of wasting money on redesigning the body, spent the money further improving the quality of the vehicle. But it seems that in order to break even on redesign costs they are always looking to cut costs somewhere and compromise quality even on critical systems such as brakes. I am one of those individuals who is not impressed with nonsense like heated steering wheels and double skylights, and ever increasing tire sizes, but rather with well designed and well built vehicle.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    I just spent a week with a rental '04 Maxima SE while my Accord was in the body shop. (Sir, would you like a Malibu, Grand Am or a Maxima - Hmmm tough choice!).

I was planning on buying another Accord next October for a company car. However, this Maxima has definately changed my mind. I've always liked Maximas, but the new car feels so much more substantial, and yet very sporty when you want it to be. Can't say enough about the engine, but the magazines aren't kidding when the talk about torque steer. Yikes! This leads me to a question:

I want a 6spd, but wonder if the torque steer isn't worse with the manual transmission. I'd point the car onto an entrance ramp, stomp on the gas and hold on with both hands as the front end tried going every which way but straight. Do you end up with less control with the manual transmission because you don't always have both hands on the wheel?

Also, the 6spd. seems pretty rare. There aren't any in the Minneapolis area to speak of right now. I was hoping to test drive one back to back with the automatic rental car. Any tips on availability?
    as far as torque steer, i wouldnt touch the 6-speed. its horrible...the automatic is very manageable, as you already know. get an SE with auto, and it will come with the tiptronic...best of both worlds.

as far as availability, we have over 30 maximas at any given time, and ive only seen 1 6-speed since they've been out (and we had to dealer trade that one).
    I don't know all the differences between 2004 and 2002 driveability, but the 2002 6 speed, while not perfect, is certainly fun and nothing to fear (not "horrible"). I had a 2000 Maxima automatic and "traded up" to the 2002 3.5 6 speed.

If you want a 6 speed, just ask, they'll find you one.
    I found the manumatic a bit frustrating at times, especially when I wanted to upshift before the computer thought I should. It let me downshift almost anytime.

Also, I know the EPA ratings, but are they acurate? I went through a ton of gas in four days, mainly be due to overagressive use of the accelerator. The trip comupter said I averaged 21.6 mpg over 1500 miles.

Back to an availability question for Bowke. I want a SE in Onyx over black cloth with a sunroof as the only option, and assuming I'm flexible on the auto vs. manual. I've seen one equiped like this in silver here in Minneapolis. How soon do I have to start looking for an October 1 delivery? I would think I'd be caught between declining inventory of 2004s and stocking up new 2005s at that time of year.
    ummm...do your deal at the end of july. they will order the car the 1st week in august, and its 45-60 days till delivery.
    Nissan will do custom orders like GM or Ford?
    with ford, your name goes on the monroney sticker. nissan doesnt do that, but yes, they build it for you.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I went to Kline Nissan on Hwy 61 in Maplewood and test drove a 04 6-sp SE no prob. Was getting oil changed and said "hey, let me drive a new 6sp". Less than 10 minutes later I was behind the wheel, with the sales guy blabbing about all the new features but at least I got to drive one. I liked it but not enough to trade up my loaded 2000 SE autotragic. I'd go G35 for same price, or try the new TL.

seeya
  • yakuza70yakuza70 Member Posts: 2
    I've also heard the horror stories of the 2004 6-speed torque steer. For the money of a new '04 maxima, I'd get a G35 6-speed.

gg2k2se - it's funny that you upgraded from a 2000 automatic to a 2002 6-speed. I did the exact same thing - love the 6-speed. Yeah there's torque steer but not too bad as long as you're ready for it.
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    I have a 2003 6 speed and torque steer is not that bad I don't know why everyone complains about it so much. You can get a 6 speed with the limited slip differential which will solve the torque steer it is an available option on the 6speed should be standard though
    I would think torque steer in the 2004 Maxima should not be any worse than the 2002/2003, since the engine power is essentially the same.

A couple of my other thoughts on this debate, FWIW:

1) If you are really interested in a true high performance "sport sedan" you shouldn't be looking at any FWD car. No matter how well torque steer is handled through LSD or other methods, the weight balance is front-end heavy and the power driving the front wheels can never match the handling characteristics of a well balanced RWD setup. For my buck, my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed has been a great performing "sporty" and fun to drive sedan, with decent all weather versitility. The G35 sedan, on the other hand, sucks in a light snow, as one of my associates found out getting stuck in his driveway this past winter.

2) 6-speed vs. automatic. The fact that the Maxima is offered in a 6-speed is the only reason I would consider it. Acura has even gone that way with the new TL. While a 6-speed doesn't turn either car into a BMW 5 series, it at least offers some additinal driver control and acceleration performance. Furthermore, unless the new 5-speed automatic in the SE is a vast improvement over the former 4-speed, Nissan's automatics are sub par IMO compared to their superb V-6. It would be a very sad commentary if, in 2004, one looking to a "sporty" sedan, the only choice from Nissan was an automatic Maxima. That's a non-choice in my book, albeit I may be in the minority.
    I want the 6spd.

I hadn't checked Kline, but Luther, Morries, Fieldmands, Walser, and Wayzata. Thanks for the tip.

The G35 is too small for me. The Max will be our primary car, so I need rear seat and trunk space.

The limited slip is only available with the Driver's package, which includes a whole bunch other stuff. Since I had budgeted for an Accord, I'm trying to keep the price down.
    Yes, these cars are somewhat rare. It so happens that there is one sitting at our local Nissan dealership. Black, tan leather interior, Bose sound system (no sunroof, just the skylights). Sticker price about 30K and some change.
    is somewhat surprising for the "4DSC" and given how Nissan's ads for the Maxima highlight the six speed. Probably a case of creating perception while building to reality.

I priced out a Maxima with and without the LSD. The difference is $3,900 more in MSRP and likely $3,600 more in out the door price based on the flat rate of a local dealer and references in Kiplingers Personal Finance. Given that I'm already streching up from an Accord, it may be too much. But, that heated steering wheel would be great here in a Minnesota winter...
    Yes, yakuza, my wife and I both enjoy shifting but we sold our 1990 SE and conservatively got a 2000 automatic. Then the low financing came out in 2002 so I convinced her it was worth getting the numerous upgrades put into the 2002 model (HID, 6 speed, 6 disc) so we traded up and are happy with the 6 speed.

Overall, there are many variables and comprises when buying a new car, we found the Maxima to have the best combination of size, fun and luxury that we wanted. Acura TL and 3 series too small, 5 series too expensive, 300M, Passat too boring. While not a "true" sports car, it's a blast to drive hard to work and back.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    Only 5 % of Maximas have manual transmissions. That was the number I heard from a couple of sources when I was shopping for one. I was surprised the percentage was so low, but visits to five different dealers proved the rarity to me. Rare, but not impossible to find.
    is 3,750 cars with manual transmissions.

Pretty small supply.
    It appears that manual transmission vehicles in the US are disappearing fast:

Ford Explorer no longer offers manual transmission (did until 2002)

Nissan Pathfinder dropped the manual transmission option several years ago

Land Rover Discovery dropped the manual option
    in the late nineties

Cannot get a manual on any full size American car or SUV anymore, and often manual transimssion on midsize and compact cars are only available with smaller base engines.

It is nice that Maxima and Infiniti G35 still offer manuals. However, now the manual transmission is a "no cost" option, which is nonsense becuase it costs less to make than an automatic transmission. It cost about $ 1000 less than an automatic in 1998. They must have learned this marketing trick from GM (Corvette).
    The 540i 6-speed was at least $1k more than a comparably equiped automatic.

I doubt the Maxima 6-speed transmission is any less expensive to produce than their dinosaur 4-speed auto and probably not even the newer 5-speed auto. An AMG high performance automatic or BMW SMG is a different matter. Nissan automatics are about as basic as they come to design and build.
    Actually the 2003 BMW 540i automatic and 540i 6 speed are priced the same with the same equipment. The $ 4100 sport package, optional on the automatic is standard on the 6 speed. If you get the 6 speed or the optional sport package, you must pay $ 1300 gaz guzzler gas. This is a truly great incentive for buying a manual transmission car. To be proportional, they should impose a $ 4,000 gaz guzzler on every monster SUV and full size pickup truck out there.

Just about every manufacturer charges more for an auto transmission, if manual is offered as standard equipment. If it cost less to produce an automatic, then everybody would charge extra for a manual transmission.
    I guess I agree, however, I think BMW's steptronic and especially AMG's "sport shift" automatic are in a different league than Nissan's automatics. I just can't imagine there being much of a cost difference to Nissan between their automatics and the 6 speed manual transmission they put in the Maxima.

On another point, I owe you much thanks for the hood strut recommendation a few weeks ago. It took me three trips to two different AutoZones, but I now have a hood that will stay open. I did say I'd send you a bottle of wine or some such equivalent, so e-mail me at habitat@erols.com with your address if you want to collect. A deal is a deal!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    automatics are way more complex than manual trannies and also have the over head of needing complex electronics as well.

my guess is sticks are cheaper to make.
    transmissions are completely different. BMW's is basically a computer controlled manual transmission. The AMG is an automatic transmission that allows more driver input. Nissan's auto is more similar to the AMG model than the BMW.
    BMW's SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) is a manual transmission. There is no torque converter, etc. It is purely a manual transmission (without the clutch pedal, which is automated). This is a very expensive manual transmission (costing $2,400 more than the regular M3 manual transmission, which in itself is quite expensive - certainly more expensive than most domestic auto transmissions).

It is unfair to say that all automatics cost more than manual transmissions - in fact there are some very expensive manual transmissions out there.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    and the SMG is available on HOW MANY CARS? 3?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I thought I just read that the SMG is now available on the Sport Package-equipped 330i, FWIW.

Forgive me for sounding naive or lazy here, but anyone care to share their opinions on the Sky Roof thing? I'm sure there are numerous posts here somewhere regarding same, but I haven't found them. I don't even know how this thing works; I'm assuming they either don't open at all, or they must open sideways? If so, do they open independently or together?
    To my knowledge these panels do not open (are fixed). Each panel has a separate manual sunshade on the inside which can be opened or closed.

I would be concerned about potential water leaks if the panels are not sealed properly.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    No, it doesn't open. They are 2 small "windows" that have sunshades that slide open like a sun/moonroof (looks like one window from the outside), but are just there to let light in. I personally think it is an interesting feature(standard), but I probably wouldn't choose it if it was an option.