Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• n7ein7ei Member Posts: 1
    My new maxima 2004 3.5 SE had an annoying vibration at about 100 MPH. The dealer was no help and would not get into the car and drive at this speed to diagnose the problem.

I went to a Goodyear dealer equipped with the latest tire balancing equipment, the Hunter GPS 9700 vibration control system with road force measurement balancer.

This machine simulates actual road conditions and checks the wheel rim for conformance to specs and the tire as well.

I had allready taken the wheels to another tire shop not equipped with the latest equipment and had the wheels balanced.

It turned about that the tires could not be mated to the rims as indicated by the the test results.

Goodyear will replace the offending tire based on the test results at no charge where the tread life is less than 25% worn.

To get the replacement tire you must go to a Goodyear dealer and have the tire tested on the proper equipment.

I had called Nissan Customer Service representative at the head office. She promptly consulted their technical experts and came back with an in accurate and incomplete answer. Like don't drive so fast.

For further info on tire balancing go to Hunter's web site or put in your search wheel balance.

Vibration can be caused by wheel and or tire problems or a combination of both.Experience wheel balance personnel can detect tire problems by eye and feel but now days you cannot count on getting an experienced tech to work on your car.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the difference is that the warranty starts at whatever mileage, up to 500, the vehicle has at delivery. you lose NOTHING by having 200 miles on a new car, so why should you get something for nothing?
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    It strikes me that the person who is able to sell a car as "new" that has 200+ miles on it is really the one getting something for nothing--and that something could well be use of the car for test drives and other jaunts by a series of drivers (assuming the miles weren't part of transporting the vehicle with the prospective buyer's knowledge). The very reason many people buy new is because they want to know the treatment the car has received from Mile 1, or as close to it as reasonably possible.
    "or as close to it as reasonably possible."

as a dealer, sometimes a car gets miles put on it...thats life. the difference is that the warranty, lease, and EVERYTHING about the car, starts at the miles that are on the car at delivery. thats what a warranty is for. if someone test drove the car, and the kid in the backseat tore the fabric, then its fixed AT NO COST TO THE BUYER.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    you're saying the warranty starts when the car is taken delivery? so if i pick up the car at 200 miles so i get warranty till 36,200?

it's not even the point..

"you lose NOTHING by having 200 miles" - i certainly don't have anything to gain if i paid full price if someone drove my car for 200 miles..it's not my goal to make money for dealerships regardless what they tell me... the point is, if the 200 miles were from test drives, it's been used.. if i choose to buy it after 200 miles, then it's my choice.. if it's from transportation, that's a diff story.. but for you to tell me 10 people have driven my car and i'm buying it at full price as a NEW car, you're out of your mind.
    but to buy THAT car is YOUR choice. if you dont like it, buy another...but in many cases, its the only one with a certain widget that a buyer wants, or has the right interior color.

you cant honestly tell me that, if it was the only car that fit EXACTLY what you wanted, you would complain over 200 miles.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Generally if a new car has 200 or more miles on it, it has been test driven quite a few times or perhaps driven from another dealership as part of dealer car trade. Recently I was passed on I-95 by a Nissan Altima that appeared to be a new vehicle in transit to another delaer (dealer's tag, car appeared brand new). The guy was doing almost 100 MPH in this car. Great way to break in a new vehicle! Since that day I do not feel like ever buying a new vehicle that has been driven from another dealership a considerable distance.
    You should be concerned with buying manual transmission new cars with some miles on them. A person who does not know how to drive a manual transmission car may incur more wear and tear on the clutch during a 10 mile test drive than a normal driver in several thousand miles, grind the gears, or worse.

So bottom line, you are taking some risk when buying a new car with several hundred miles on it.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sorry bowke, I have to agree with p100, kyleknicks, lumbar and others who would advise against getting a "new" car with 200+ miles on the odometer. That's easily 20+ test drives of 8-10 miles a pop. You want to sell me a "demo", fine, but that's not a new car in my book.

And p100 makes another good point. Unless you get a car with 2-10 "delivery" miles on the odometer, you can never be sure that abuse did not occur during the break in period. This could lead to poorer gas mileage, shorter clutch life, etc. for which the warranty does not apply. When I bought a Honda S2000, I made absolutely sure that it had no test drive miles on it. The last thing I wanted was some 17 year old burning about 20% off the life of the clutch or missing shifts for even 5 miles, let alone 200. I might be less picky with an automatic Maxima, but not much so. Hell, even I was encouraged to "let it rip" by salespeople when I've test driven cars.

It behoves dealerships to specifically set aside their demonstrators and leave the "new" cars alone.
    but you see, for dealers, it's all about making a dollar... if they could use your car (before you bought it) to give free test drives and sell more cars, and not cost them a dime, they'll do it.. oh wait, who wouldnt? but..at least be honest about it and not try to sell it as brand spanking new car with no wear and tear whatsoever.. like i said, if you're the one agreed to getting a car from a diff dealer and they'll put miles just transporting it, well.. that's a diff story.. how it gets transported, it's your decision.

bowke are you a car dealer?
    you are one of the only ones who doesnt know it! ;-)

the problem also, is that many people want to test drive THE EXACT CAR they want. in some cases, a deal is not struck, and the car sits. as a dealer, we cant help that.
  • capricciocapriccio Member Posts: 1
    I am cosidering a purchase of a 2000 used vehicle (automatic). Any suggestions?

More specifically: Is there anybody who thinks that sports suspension on SE is rougher than they would like for their personal comfort? If somebody likes sports s better, your feedback is too appriciated.
    If somebody can explain what exactly is sports suspension and why some people may like better, please do.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I did test drive a GLE, and maybe I'm just deluding myself but I didn't feel a whole lot of difference (I drove the GLE and my SE on the same nasty Michigan-road test drive). It made so little difference to me I ended up picking the SE because I liked the color better (the same charcoal grey Porsche uses, my favorite color of any car I've owned).

My last car was an Olds Intrigue and it had a pretty cushy ride, but my Max SE is actually softer-sprung and handles crappy roads a LOT more gracefully. The GLE actually had a bit more body roll ripping through turns (yes, I "ripped" through turns, it's the only way to drive a Maxima lol). If I had to do it over again I'd buy the exact same car, no regrets.

As for people complaining about vibration, I notice it on my car when it's really cold (freezing or below) outside. Once the car gets going for about a mile or so the vibration goes away, leading me to believe it's the 17" tires. On Tirerack's site I've read similar complaints about the Bridgestones. I don't really mind it too much, I'm going to abuse the heck out of my tires next summer and then buy better, "long term" ones. :)

Did I mention I love my car? I think it's possible I'll be one of those nuts who, 20 years down the road, I'm on my 4th Maxima. It's just perfect in every way, I can't really ask anything more of a car.
    what part of michigan?
    anyone seen tonight's Dateline NBC's episode on the tricks dealerships play with people buying new cars?

it included tricking people into higher interest rates, decreasing someone's monthly payment amount but also by increasing the length of the loan...etc etc..

like they said, the only way to buy a new car, is to go to your credit union, get your loan pre-approved and then buy it the car at invoice + taxes, and no other fees..
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Car sales: Tricks of the trade Click Here

• dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The 00 Maxima's GLE model shipped with 16" wheels and tires as standard equipment while the SE model shipped with 17" wheels and tires.

There's significantly more rubber between a GLE wheel and the road than on the SE wheel.

Most 2000 models available as used are probably ready for new tires anyhow so I'd focus on getting the right car in good condition regardless of particular model and then consider changing wheels/tires if the ride isn't what your looking for.

I have a 00 Maxima SE with the standard 17" wheel and tire package. It is definitely a rougher ride than the GLE model BUT it's mostly because of the wheel size.

I switch out the 17" wheels and tires every winter with a set of 16" wheels and snows for the winter and the ride definitely gets softer.
    many of the things they talked about are things MOST buyers are familiar with in the first place. nowhere did i see where they "tricked" anyone into a higher interest rate. the rate is done on a cost/retail basis just like the car is. nothing new or sneaky about that.

aside from the obvious notion that there are crooks out there, they didnt show me much to get excited about...except the way they sensationalize things.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    It is days like this that I wish I have an SUV or a Jeep. From the weather forecast, it looks like we will have 12 inches of snow before the day ends. I have an 03 Max GLE, and the OEM all season tires are not very good in snow. Even though I have TCS and ABS, I am afraid of taking the car out when there is more than 8 inches of snow on the ground. Any recommendation for 17 inch snow tires? I looked at Tirerack and did not see many choices. Will 16 inch tires (the OEMs are 17) fit well?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Check Tire Rack.com. I'm pretty sure 16" wheels and tires will fit. The Blizzack WS-50's seem to tbe some of the best (reasonably priced, too) snow tires out there.

If you've never driven on dedicated snow tires, your in for an incredible treat. The difference between average snow tires and the BEST all season tires in snow is night and day.

I will warn you however, once you get dedicated snows, you'll be hooked on them and in all likely hood will never drive in snow and ice season without them again (or allow your loved ones to drive without them either).

The difference is amazing.

I have two sets of the Blizzack WS-50's, one for the 95 Maxima and another for the 00 Maxima. I wish they made them for my 03 Murano but nothing is available yet.

An obvious additional side benefit is that you save significant wear and tear on your stock wheels and tires while the snows are in place. I'm on my 4th winter now with the first of WS-50's and I'll probably replace them at the end of this winter.
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Hi all,
           I am trying to decide between a 2003 Maxima versus a 2004 Camry LEV6. I drove the Camry. It is very smooth, but doesn't take off from zero as quickly as even my current 1999 Maxima. I am not a rash driver though.

I drove the 2003 Maxima the other day and it was pretty awesome. Since I hate the front grille of the 2004 Maxima not to mention its high price, I am leaning towards a 2003 Maxima.

Does anyone know if the 2003 Maxima has had any recalls or major known issues?
    Dklanecky, thanks for your suggestion. It appears that the Bridgestone Blizzard WS-50 are great snow tires for their price. I was surprised that the rims sold at Tirerack are more expensive than the tires themselves. For a set of Blizzard tires plus the "cheapest" rims, the price is over $1000, excluding shipping charges.

Aristotle, the 03 Max is a much faster car than any Camry, but the ride get can gittery if you go over bumpy roads. Overall, the Max is more fun to drive, but if you live in NY or NJ, be aware that the beautifully bright HIDs are magnets for low life thieves. So far, the only "recall" I am aware of are the HIDs (Nissan is adding a steel bracket to the HID housing and data-doting it with VIN), but the recall applies only to NY and NJ Max owners (at this time).
  • nasknask Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I might be asking a question that's been asked before , but couldn't find any answer that satisfied me.

I have a 2001 Maxima SE with about 26k miles on it, while I am totally satisfied with the car, the milage is bad - I get about 17 miles a gallon in city and may be 20-22 miles for highway driving - some said it might be due to the way I drive which might be some what true on a high way as I tend to drive fast(blame it on the fast car ;))but on city roads I am driving only as fast as any other guy

Any suggestions to improve the milage (not at the cost of the performance) are welcome and appreciate your time
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I also have a 4th generation Maxima (1995 SE) and have seen a lot of posts complaining about the 2002/2003 brakes/rotors. In general, I've also heard it said by many that the 4th generation was the best and that the 2000/2001 and 2002/2003 versions backslid in terms of build quality and reliability.

The Camry V6 is a Japanese Buick. I'd consider an Acura TL as a more attractive alternative to the Maxima than any Toyota.
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. Now, your comments make me wonder if the 2003 Maxima is worth buying. Is 2003 V6 Altima a better vehicle than the 2003 Maxima? How about 2004 Camry SEV6?

Ideally I would like to buy the 2004 Acura TL but it is far more expensive, isn't it?
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    The 03 Maxima SE is great car and most condsidering it want cross the Camry(different strokes for different folks Max more enthusiast, Cam more cruiser type)and actually on the quality side the Max isnt bad. The ride isnt bad and the rear beam is much improved over the 4th gens rear beam and it is not nearly as jittery as the 4th gen over rough roads and on smooth roads its great. As far as Maximas go the 3rd gen 89-94 was the best quality Maxima not the 4th gen, back then they used high quality materials and great paint. By the time the 4th gen cam around Nissan was in Trouble and initiated several cost cutting measures and it is noticeable if you compare a 3rd gen interior to a 4th gen interior 5th gen quality on par with 4th gen. With the 6th gen 04 Max for a car in this price range the materials are a bit subpar.
    very few people actually cross-shop a maxima...maxima buyers want a maxima. period. in the old days (90's) the maxima was a competitor to the camry, but i think you are out of date. the altima is now the camry competitor.
  • roc797froc797f Member Posts: 7
    I have an 02 SE. Previously I had a 01 4 cyl Accord. I never considered a camry. In comparison to the Accord......There is more windnoise in the max but the max corners much better, ride is noticeably more "stiff", and the power is just..........too much fun. BUT these are things I like about it (other than the windnoise). In my area, a used 03 SE Max is running about $3,000 less than a used 03 V6 Altima. Did I consider an Altima - no, I had ALWAYS wanted a Max. To each his own,
    Its interesting, but I've noticed lots of comments like "I really never thought about a Maxima until I drove it..." on message boards such a this from current owners. Put me in the same group for if it hadn't been for a rental '04 Maxima SE, I'd be buying another Accord next year. My plan now is for a Max!
    im just commenting based on my sales experience. one of the first questions i ask is "what other models are you considering?" to which most people reply "nothing else...just the best price on a maxima"

i didnt mean most people already have a maxima...just that they are not considering anything else.
    a bit off-topic, but have you Nissan dealers been given a preview of the '05 Pathfinder? There is a teaser pic over at freshalloy.com and it looks very much like the Dunehawk concept.
    we know that it will come out this spring...we know it will be bigger, with an optional 3rd row, and likely will have the 4 liter from the QX4...but we have no other information whatsoever.
    concept appears to have three rows of seats too. I guess we'll have to wait and see it at the NAIAS in January.
    I dont know what you are talking about as far as my comment "out of date", I make no mention of the Max being a competitor to the Cam or even mention the Alti(I did say that most want/wont/dont cross shop them read my comment). I work for Nissan Motor corp as Business Analyst for your info the Max has never been a direct competitor to the Camry throughout the 90's it was the Cressida/Avalon. The Stanza/Altima was Nissans answer to the Camry although a tad smaller that was it.
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    My wife and I have purchased 4 sedans since 1995 (most recently Oct 2003) and have generally cross-shopped the Accord, Camry and Maxima. We have never considered the Altima in the same category as the Accord and Camry. I know other people of the same opinion. I submit that the marketplace and potential customers determine cross-shopping patterns.
    i agree before the new altima came out in 2002, you wouldnt cross shop the altima with camry and accord..but i think that has changed.

before 2002, i viewed the altima as a cheaper nissan, not in the class as the maxima..but since the maxima is now, in the range of $30G's, and altima offer a v6 with 240hp, and if i'm looking for a sedan in the $25G range, it would be the accord (i would never buy the 4 door accord though) vs the altima, and probably throw in the Mazda6s in the mix..not passat since they're almost 30's
    the issue now is that the altima (post-2002) is the same size, price, and similarly equipped as the camry/accord. also, if you look at the 2004 maxima, its in a whole other league than the camry/accord.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The older Altimas were more of a match for the pre-1992 compact size Camry. The Cressida and Maxima were rivals until the Cressida was dropped.

Then there was overlap with Camry V6, Avalon, and Maxima pricing. The current Altima was almost going to be called the Maxima, but Nissan reconsidered, phew!
  • los2fastlos2fast Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2004 SE and had wheel locks put on at the dealership the next day. When I drove home I noticed on turns and speed bumps I would hear a thump or something loose in the rear left side. Any idea what this might be? What could the dealer have done by just putting on wheel lock lug nuts? I am taking the car back in the morning.
    I agree with Kyle that with the 04 Max selling at $30k, the "traditional" Max owners may now want to cross shop the Accord and Camry because the latter two can be had at around $25k.

I think Nissan has put itself in a difficult position because the 04 Max is not really in the same league as the 04 Acura TL or Lexus ES 330, and the Max is not usually cross shopped against the Avalon, which caters to a different audience, even though the prices of the two cars are quite close. Rather the Max is more of an in-betweener that is not quite entry luxury, but is slightly more upscale than the Camcords.

Talking about value, I think the Camcords beat the 04 Max even if it sells at invoice. Albeit the Max is a more powerful car, an average driver does not really need that much power in everyday driving. Further, the Camry provides a more comfortable (though a bit sedated) ride, which fits well with many woman and senior drivers. Also, the Accord provides a good compromise between the Max and the Camry in terms of ride comfort, handling and performance, and as such, is a crowd pleaser, as is evidenced by its popularity as the top selling family sedan.

Nissan has to rethink its strategy carefully as far as how the Max should be placed in the Nissan/Infinity line up. As we all know, the Max used to be Nissan's flagship and best selling sedan. Now, with the G35 and Altima taking away a chunk of the would be Max buyers, the Max may just linger in obscurity. The 04 Max is only six months old, but it is already selling at or close to invoice. This does not bold well for the Max, especially when compared with the hot selling TL, which is supposedly Max's close competitor.
    i would look long and hard at the accord (i only like the 2door, hate the 4 door) if my budget was $25G, the v6 accord with leather is one nice car, it might not be "luxo", but it's sure near the level my 2k maxima gle is..

if i HAD to get a 4 door at that price, i would get the Mazda6s... maybe an Altima v6

at $30G, i would go for a 04 I35 (i know it's old, but there's nothing else out there for $30),or maybe a Passat i know the saab 9-3 is around this range, but not my cup of tea..

in the $35, i would go for a TL, G35, ES330 ..

the point being, nowhere did i mention maxima, because afterall, it's a Nissan.. why would i pay a premium price for a non premium car? and this is from a huge maxima fan prior to the 2004 model year....lets' face it, acura, lexus, infiniti is a notch above nissan, if i had to pay a price that could get me one of those mentioned, is it wise to spend it on a nissan?

maxima = sad turn for vehicle with a solid history (nissan's bad marketing and poor product positioning)
    Looking at your last post, I understand why you want the 03 Max :-) For its price (I got mine last year at $26.5k before TTL), performance and content, it is a pretty desirable car.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I have always liked the Maxima...as a matter of fact, my step grandparents are avid Maxima owners. They will buy no other car. Period!

Don't even bring up the new Accord I am getting. They wouldn't have it.

To me the Maxima has always been one of those niche family sedans. It just doesn't fit into one particular category.

I can see people comparing the Maxima to the Accord, Camry (V6 models), TL and even the G35. Some people do not pay attention about RWD and horsepower. I do, but I can't afford to :)

To me the Maxima has always been more luxurious than the Accord and Camry, but it became most apparent to me in 2002 when they facelifted the 5th gen model. They added Xenons and memory seats to the GLE and an optional navi system. At that time, no other midsize family sedan offer those options. That has changed now though. Camry and Accord offer this system today.

The new Maxima to me seems less luxurious than the 5th gen and the quality to me is not as good, but I still like the car simply because it is a Maxima. The quality of the Maxima has been going down lately.

As someone previously stated, the 3rd gen was by far the best quality-wise, and to me the 4th gen was worse than the 5th, and the 6th is worse than any of them. Not as bad as pictures make it, but definately not up to near-luxury sedan standards. The 5th gen was close though.

Would I consider the new Maxima...yes...but not fully equipped. I would love to find a fully loaded 02 or 03 SE 6spd w/o Navi.

The older Maximas were better values than the new one because they offered so much as standard equipment. Xenon headlights were standard on the lowly GXE model in 2002, now they are optional on the SE. Memory seats used to be standard on the GLE, now they are optional on the SL, which is just crazy IMO. If a car cost this much, these options should be standard.
    I am aware that new things have been added, but for the price of this car, many of the optional features should be standard.

Although I never thought I would say this, I actually like the skyview.

And as wierd as it may sound, the new Maxima would be nice looking if not for that front end, which should be fixed ASAP.

Have a good one
    believe it or not, I've seen on the net.. i believe on maxima.org, someone had changed their brand new 04 max grill... it's one of those that have bars running hortizonally, aftermarket grills you see sometimes on Ford Expedition's.

it's actually very tolerable..
    kenny...

i have to disagree...the maxima with the driver preferred package rivals the build quality and equipment of a top-of-the-line TL, and is priced accordingly. you can get an SL with elite package (navigation, rear buckets w/heated seats, rear windowshade, etc...) for under $34k. none of the 'near-luxury' competitors you mentioned offer anything that even resembles this.

kyle...

the problem nissan has is that they havent made many people aware that the altima actually offers MORE size and features than the previous generation maxima.

having said that, most of the people that cross-shop the altima and maxima end up buying the altima.
    you know, you're right... i didn't know there were more room in the altima than my current maxima.. intersting...
    Well bowke the 02-04 Altima doesnot offer more features than the 02/03, but may be on par with the 00/01 Max but its quality is not no where near 5th gen Max standards. 02/03 Maxima offered; Memory seats(not avail on Alti),Nav(not avail on Alti),Hids,trip computer standard(optional on 3.5 Altima) and some other itmes not offered on the Altima SL or 3.5 and once again a much higher quality interior. The 02/03 Max was as well a clear step above the 02-04 Altima in quality and features and the 04 just seperated them a bit further.
    you are right...those features were "offered". but the car that was discussed at $26k had cloth interior, base engine, and none of the things you mentioned. the altima SE with leather can be had at that price with a good negotiator. that includes auto climate (not on the base max), bose cd changer (also not on the base max), leather and heated seats (not on the base max), more head room, leg room, trunk space, horsepower, etc...

if you loaded up a maxima in '02-'03, you still take yourself well over the $30k plateau.
    There is a company called Grille Tech that makes a really great mesh grille for older Maximas. They don't have one yet for the 6th Generation, but its only a matter of time. It looks very much like the mesh grille on the Cadillac CTS-V or Jaguar XJR. Plus, its only $50 or $60 bucks. Very hot.
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    My wife wanted a new car to replace her 2001 Acura TL. Having owned Accords in the past and having a 97 Max SE in our current stable, she decided to test drive an 04 Accord EX V6 and an 04 Max SE. The drives included city and highway roads as well as twisty backroads. We skipped the Camry cross-shopping test drive this time. She liked the Accord in all regards. She found the Max less desirous because of the downgrade in design and quality of interior/dashboard/controls and handling. The engine power was substantial, maybe too much, but not in overall harmony with the car. The 04 Max did not have the balance and maneuverability that we have come to appreciate on the 97 Max. The 04 almost seemed ponderous in comparison.

She then test drove the 04 Acura TL and easily concluded that its qualities were better than the Max and Accord. We understood that the TL was marketed and sold in a different category/class than the Max and Accord and felt that the additional cost of the TL was acceptable to us. She bought the TL and is very pleased.

Our 97 Max is a very fine car and is so far almost bulletproof at 153K Mi. After driving the 04 Max and looking at/sitting in the 04 Altima, I wonder if Nissan has lost its way with these designs.