Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    It was easier in thr old days when it was Maxima/Cressida and Camry/Stanza. Then car classes and sizes all changed.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I'd be willing to bet the Maxima interior, stereo, etc. could be upgraded substantially to compete with the 2004 TL. Some of my objections are just ugly styling quirks compared with the clean lines of the TL and 3-series interior.

So, rather than discounting the current Maxima to compete with the Altima, Accord and Camry, I'd suggest to Nissan to try again, get it right and, if necessary, charge a little more. The 2004 TL finally gives someone looking for a sporty FWD near luxury sedan with a 6-speed manual an alternative to the Maxima. But I don't think the Maxima needs to roll over and play dead just yet.
  • the maxima will never ever be able to compete with the near luxo cars like g35, TL, etc... it's a nissan for crying out loud! as long and hard as the nissan exec's try... they'll fail 10 out of 10 times.. then you add in the fact that their products are getting weirdier looking every year,their plan will not happen. (unlike the clean lines and quality of the other cars) I would never dish out that type of $ for the service they provide at a nissan dealership. the service dept are subpar, the sales try all kinds of financing games..just to give examples... just my opinion
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    "it's a nissan for crying out loud! as long and hard as the nissan exec's try... they'll fail 10 out of 10 times.. then you add in the fact that their products are getting weirdier looking every year,their plan will not happen. (unlike the clean lines and quality of the other cars) I would never dish out that type of $ for the service they provide at a nissan dealership. the service dept are subpar, the sales try all kinds of financing games..just to give examples... just my opinion"

And which auto company has been the most successful in generating sales increases, profit increases, and market share increases in the last couple of years?

How do you rationalize your comments, even if they're "just your opinion".
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    Nissan certainly has had a good run lately. No one is denying that. And, I think everyone who frequents this board likes or has in the past liked its products.

Kyle's point, and mine also, is simply that when it is time to dole out $30K plus for a sedan, it's difficult to look at Nissan and a Maxima when so many other more attractive choices beckon. Actually, this point has been made and remade.

I would like to hear from more 04 owners. Why did they choose the Maxima, and how satisfied are they? Are they satisfied that they received value for their money? Does the Maxima exceed their expectations?

The lack of 04 owner participation here (and granted, there are other more popular Maxima forums) indicates to me that either not many are buying the car, or those that buy them don't have much to say. Anyone?
  • i acknowledge the fact that Nissan has done well the last 5 to 7 years in all aspects of sales, profits and market shares... but keep in mind, their positioning of the maxima is a completely new approach in their business...which i think most will agree, has not worked.

when they came out with the 95-99 maxima, it gained many fans and then the 00-03's built on that fan loyality.. and all the increase in sales/profits/market shares you were referring to were built on that timeframe.. i'm sure the 02-03 altima helped in this aspect also.. but moving the 04 maxima upscale to the near-luxo catalgorie, nissan can't compete with luxury badges.. thus my claim "nissan is still..just a nissan"...its almost like a Mazda Millenia will always be viewed as a Mazda and never a luxo competitor..it'll be sad if the max suffers the same fate.

Nissan did well because they had a niche, i'm not sure they have such niche anymore..
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    As mentioned in earlier posts in this forum, the 04 Max has been likened to an American Buick with more horsepower, and hopefully better reliability. If you were to view, hypothetically, that 04 Max owners as Buick owners, they probably may be less passionate about the Max than earlier gen Max owners, and that may explain the lack of participation on this board.

The foregoing is intended only as a flame, and should be taken literally for its contents or implications thereof. This disclaimer is attributed only to the author, and should not be construed as an endorsement by Edmunds or its very kind and understanding hosts :-)
  • babe915babe915 Posts: 34
    has enyone replaced this filter if so is it behind the glove box and is it available in after market sales.
  • ericuericu Posts: 16
    There seems to be a lot of negative vibes in this forum, but I am a new 04 owner... and after one month of use and 1500 miles later, I am very happy with my first car ownership ever. And I do have prior experience driving other cars owned by other people - parents, sister, friends, rent... (Volvo, Toyota, Nissan, Audi, Honda, Dodge, Mitsubishi). Maybe I am just lucky, but thus far I have not yet experienced any bugs that I have read about here (cold air leaks under driver side, squealing brakes, squeaking sound/rattles from the rear, distortion from stereo sound, steering wheel shimmies, etc). My only complaint is the atrocious turning radius of 40+ feet. It's like turning a truck sometimes. Also there is slight torque steer. Otherwise it is really fun and smooth to drive and very comfortable and spacious inside.

To answer some of your questions... I chose the Maxima partially because it appeared to be the best bang for the buck. I got it for a great price (before tax/fees, 23.96K with some extra stuff - mats, spoiler, guards). In my opinion, it was a great combo of performance, value, comfort, luxury, space, style, reliability, etc. I am very satisfied. It definitely thus far meets my expectations and then some. Would I do it again? yes, but it has only been a month :-) My sister has a 1996 Altima, and that had some influence on my Nissan purchase.

Maybe I am not the most experienced car owner, but at least I am personally happy with my vehicle which ultimately is what matters the most.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    did it come with an engine??? $24k is about $1000 under invoice on the most base of all maximas.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,001
    It's nice to hear from an '04 owner. Don't be afraid of venturing onto this forum. Maximas change enough for each generation that each owner tends to think theirs is the best. I have seen some bashing of the 00- 02's here and I love my '01. Maybe the thing is, we all really like our cars and can't imagine them being different! I do like hearing the reasons people made choices for Maximas. Like you, we thought in '01 we got a lot for our money. In fact it's the nicest car we've owned and we still enjoy getting into it every day, nearly 3 years later. Not a single problem (knock wood) so far. The turning radius must be a real change, because ours is not nearly so wide. Maybe because the car itself is bigger?
    of the new Max is no doubt influenced by the 18" wheels.

Ericu: At the price you paid, the 04 Maxima is an outstanding value. Was the price you paid influenced by any factors such as your trade in (did you get a fair price for your old car?) or end-of-the year discounting? That is about 1K under anything I've heard of. Also, how do you like the skylight roof?
    Welcome aboard ... no puns intended.

Congratulations on your becoming an owner of a brand new 04 Max. What a great price ($24k) ... you certainly get a lot of bang for your bucks.

At that price, forget about competing with the TL, which is perceived by Nissan as the 04 Max's nearest competitor. At that price, the Max will exceed Nissan's sales expectation, even though Nissan had said that it didn't want or expect to sell too many Maxes and was limiting the number of production units. At that price, the Max may even compete with the Camcords and Altimas in terms of sale volume, even though Nissan had said that the Max should be moved upmarket in terms of courting near lux car buyers and adding profits. At that price, the 04 Max costs even less than my 03 Max, which is totally unexpected (probably by everyone)for a newly designed car. Please note that I am not trying to imitate the repeated use of certain phrases, as was done by Bush in his State of the Union Address yesterday :-)

I wish Eric lots of luck in his enjoyment of the new car -- even though it is rumored that the 04 Max has quite a few first year bugs -- just as many of us have with ours.
    bowke28 (#7814) asked, "did it come with an engine???"

Good thought. On the day of delivery and prior to signing, the first thing I did was look under the hood. It in fact was there. I then looked the salesman right in the eye and asked him if it comes with the engine, and of course he is going to say yes. Therefore I then looked at the sales agreement for any fine print charging an additional fee for the engine. No such fine print existed. I then proceeded to signing the contract.

But in all seriousness, I got a good deal. The salesman simply asked me what will it take for me to buy it today, and I told him. I then put down a down payment ($500) the next day. He located the car I wanted (black, cloth, mats, guards, spoiler) and about 3 weeks later, I signed the contract and drove it home. It was not hail damaged. It was an automatic (manuals were on sale). It was not a demo. It had 33 miles on it. As far as I know, it was legitimate. One month later, I am still happy and the engine is still there. However, maybe the salesman is not.

Maybe it was because it was a volume dealer. Maybe it was because I brought my dad the next day and my dad came into the dealership with his clipboard and all of his questions. Maybe my dad intimidated them. Maybe the salesman found us so annoying that he just wanted to get it over with. Maybe we just outlasted him at the negotiation table. At least we now all know that this is an obtainable price for a great car.

To answer ramped1's questions (#7816): I did not trade in a car. This is the first car I have ever bought and owned. There were no official discounts, although it was the end of the year. I think the skyview roof is novel, especially how it stretches to the back. All it really does is provide additional lighting. It would be pretty cool if it actually opened, but I didn't want to drop another grand for the optional moon/sunroof. It's not often that I personally would want to open it anyway, other than maybe using the tilt option.
    sounds like a sweet ride .... enjoy, and keep us posted.
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    Enjoy your new car! I have the same turning radius complaint with my '02 Maxima. I often find myself misjudging a turn into a parking space or not having enough room for a U-turn because of the wide turning circle. I bought the Maxima after owning a Honda Accord, which is a similar-size vehicle. The Accord had a noticeably smaller turning circle.

According to Edmunds' data, here are the turning circles for several sedans:

2004 Nissan Maxima: 40'
    2002 Nissan Maxima: 40'
    2004 Honda Accord EX-V6: 36.1'
    2000 Honda Accord EX-V6: 36.4'
    2004 Mazda 6s V6 : 38.7'
    2004 Toyota Avalon: 37.6'
    2004 Toyota Camry: 36.7'
    2000 Toyota Camry: 36.7'
    2004 Buick Park Avenue: 40'

Why does the Maxima (this generation and the last one) have such a large turning circle? Heck, it's as big as the Buick Park Avenue!
  • As someone said above, the 18" wheels likely have a lot to do with it. Also, the car has a pretty long wheelbase relative to Accord, Mazda6 and Camry. What's the Altima?
    the maxima is no longer a competitor to the accord/camry. that is the altima's job now. the park avenue happens to be a direct competitor now.
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    2004 Nissan Altima: 38.7' turning circle. Not very much less than the Maxima. Here are the turning circles, wheelbases and overall lengths:

2004 Nissan Maxima: 40.0'_____ 111.2"____ 193.5"
    2002 Nissan Maxima: 40.0'_____ 108.3"____ 191.5"
    2004 Nissan Altima: 38.7'_____ 110.2"____ 191.5"
    2004 Honda Accord V6: 36.1'_____ 107.9" ____ 189.5"
    2000 Honda Accord V6: 36.4'_____ 106.9" ____ 188.8"
    2004 Mazda 6s V6 : 38.7'_____ 105.3"____ 186.8"
    2004 Toyota Avalon: 37.6'_____ 107.1" ____ 191.9"
    2004 Toyota Camry: 36.7'_____ 107.1" ____ 189.2"
    2000 Toyota Camry: 36.7'_____ 105.2"____ 188.5"
    2004 Buick Park Avenue: 40.0'_____ 113.8"____ 206.8"

The current Maxima is just slightly longer (total length) than the Accord, Camry and Avalon. It is quite a bit shorter than the Park Avenue. The wheelbase is longer than most of the above cars, but less than the Park Avenue.

Here are a few more FWD sedans (turning circle, wheelbase, length):

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix: 37.4'_____ 110.5" ____ 198.2"
    2004 Acura RL: 36.1'_____ 114.6"____ 196.6"
    2004 Chevy Impala: 38.0'_____ 110.5" ____ 200"
    2004 Chrysler Concorde: 37.6'_____ 113"____ 207.7"

As can be seen, the Maxima has perhaps the longest turning circle of any FWD car, even those that are much longer and have longer wheelbases. I don't really know what this means in terms of handling or design or quality. Probably not a whole lot, other than parking lot maneuverability and for U-turns. I am curious, however, why the Maxima has such a large turning circle.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    My '83 Mercedes 300SD has surprisingly tight turning cicle for a large car that it is. I believe one reason are rather small wheels/tires on this car (factory size 195-70SR14). On the other hand my 95 Nissan SE V6 4X4 king cab pickup has turning diameter of a bus. This is no doubt due to additional clearance required to accomodate monster 31 X 10.5-R15 factory tires. In fact, Nissan used wheel adjustable wheel stops on this truck to prevent wheels from turning too much, which further increases the turning diameter.
    You are kidding, aren't you? Buick Park Avenue is a direct competitor of the Max? No wonder some of the posters here said that Caddie and Buick owners are looking at the Max, and I thought they were joking. LOL!
  • isn't important, but wheel base and wheel size is. Of the cars listed above, what are the standard wheel sizes? My educated guess is that none of the cars above are wearing anything larger than 16" wheels, which would be an advantage over even the Maxima SL's 17" wheels.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,001
    Maybe that's why I haven't noticed an unduly large turning radius on my 01 GLE which has 16" wheels.
    the maxima competitors are now the avalon, crown vic, park ave., bonneville, grand marquis, TL, GS330, etc...
    Quite honestly, who cares about the turning radius as long as you can still blow by cars on the highway riding on your 18" dubs :-)
    It is not the diameter of the rim that matters but the overall diameter of the tire as installed on your rim. For example, 31 X 10.5 R 15 tire is equivalent to P265-75-R15 tire and fits on a 15 inch rim. This tire is much taller than Maxima 18 inch tire becuase the Maxima tire is a low profile tire, whereas 31 X 10.5-R15 is a light truck tire with high sidewalls.

Also, large American cars of the 1970's used P235-75-R15 tires which were also taller than modern low profile 18 inch tires, and the turning radius of those cars was certainly big.
  • tomw11tomw11 Posts: 6
    After 34 years of driving only GM cars I've finally decided to look the imports for my next car (currently driving an 00 Olds Intrigue). I like the 04 Maxima SL a lot and have test driven it several times (3 different cars). While at highway speeds (65+) I get the impression that the car feels just slightly unsettled - minor vibrations that translate through the seat plus some road noise. I've also tested the 04 Accord EX V6 and it seems to be much more composed and a little quieter at the same speed. Has any else ever noticed this or am I being too picky ? After reading all the posts about tire balancing problems I suppose that could be it.
    You are not being picky at all. Nissan uses cheaper tires on their Maximas than Honda uses on the Accord V6 model. The Accord V6 comes with Michelin Energy MXV energy tires, which are better tires than anything Nissan mounts on Maxima. I walked away from two brand new 03 Maximas because of vibration at 60+ MPH. These cars had Bridgstone Potenza tires. I am not sure what the 04 models use, but in my honest opinion, if a brand new car exhibits vibration symptoms, I would look elsewhere. It may be a wheel balance problem, but it could be a bad tire. It could be a defective inner CV joint. I could be some other suspension problem. The point is - you never can tell for sure until the problem is eliminated. If you like the car, take another one for the test drive. If it shows the same symptoms, stay away from Maximas and look elsewhere.
  • lily04lily04 Posts: 3
    Been reviewing the newspaper ads in Saturday's newspaper for at least the past month. Have noticed that neither of the two largest Nissan dealers in the Dallas area have been featuring Maxima's in their ads. Are the cars selling so well that they don't have to be advertised (even at regular price)? Or is this some type of strategy on Nissan's part to make the cars appear more desirable hence the need for no advertising? Just curious if anyone has any comments.