Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• misu9419misu9419 Member Posts: 2
    If you don't mind, how much did you pay for your maxima? I am currently looking for a maxima w/nav, and the best cote that I got is 29500. To me looks too much. Thx.
  • driveondriveon Member Posts: 2
    I've got 90,000 miles on my 2000 Max GXE and am trying to decide whether to go to the dealer ($400-550), or my local mechanic, who will be about half the price. I'm concerned that he doesn't have the 'Nissan equipment' to check the engine and make sure it is at factory specs. But I trust this guy and am leery of the $85 per hour Chilton rate dealer routine. Any opinion on the importance of using the dealer for this major service?

Thanks

Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Assuming your Nissan dealer isn't gouging you too severly, I'd be tempted to take the car to the dealer for the major services. It's one thing to go to an independent mechanic for a routine oil change and tire rotation. I took my 1995 Maxima SE w/ 153k miles in to the dealer (excellent service and reasonably priced) and never had any problems. We elected to go the independent route with our Isuzu Trooper (terrible dealer with obscene prices). Unfortunately, the independent mechanic screwed up some work (twisted the spark plugs in a major tune up) and it ended up costing us a fortune. Of course they wouldn't admit to having done anything wrong and Isuzu wouldn't give us a break on a vehicle that was 2 months out of warranty (still under mileage).
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I'm not sure what's all on the 90k schedule, I'm assuming plugs, flushes of tranny & radiator & power steering, probably throttle body cleaning plus other subjective type stuff. I lean towards independents for those due to price, and lean towards dealers for major stuff like tranny rebuilds, computer stuff, etc. Just my .02, they're all hit or miss in my book. And expensive for that matter.
  • suisun_suesuisun_sue Member Posts: 10
    I agree with your comment about the Maxima's front seat being uncomfortable. The problem is that the cushion depth is too shallow, so that it feels like sitting on a ledge. It appears that Nissan uses the same front seats in the Maxima as in the Sentra. This is my biggest complaint about the car.
  • suisun_suesuisun_sue Member Posts: 10
    No they are not on my 04 SL, but they should be. This is a shortcoming. They are useless at night.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    "It appears that Nissan uses the same front seats in the Maxima as in the Sentra. This is my biggest complaint about the car."

I doubt if this is true, though I never sat or rode in a Sentra :-) To me, the best seats are in the 3rd gen Max, 5th and 6th gens are tied as second, and 4th gen is the least comfortable, though not really uncomfortable. I am 5'8" and find all gens roomy, both front and back.

My biggest complaint about the 4th and 5th gens is the rear axle suspension, which makes the car hop over bumps, such as highway expansion joints and parking lot speed bumps. The 6th gen uses independent rear suspension, but from what I heard in this forum, the revised suspension still needs plenty improvement.

My biggest compliment about the Max is its reliability (I own 3rd, 4th and 5th gens). If you keep up with routine maintenance, repair bills should be nominal (other than expected wear and tear). The 6th gen appears to have initial quality problems, since they are now made in the U.S., but hopefully they can be remedied in the near future.
  • bkswardbksward Member Posts: 93
    They are useless at night.

My 02 Maxima doesn't have lit controls on the steering wheel. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the buttons. That's it.

There are 6 buttons. Two of them are small and in the center of the group, one changes the mode of the stereo, one cycles the trip computer. Then there are two big buttons to change tracks/presets and two smaller ones to adjust volume.

They are all easy to find by feel. If you need to take your eyes off the road to adjust the stereo, then you should not be adjusting the stereo while driving.
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    I'm considering a new Max and would like to know of experiences in slippery conditions. Does the VDC and traction control make considering a 4 wheel drive sedan a non issue? (G35x) Thanks.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Can't speak for the new ones, but my '01 (with Traction Control) is great in the snow.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I have a 2000 Max SE that doesn't appear to have the "LATCH" system installed in the lower part of the seat. It does have anchors up top on the rear deck lid but not down below in the seat crease. It looks like I'm stuck using the shoulder belt to fasten down a rear-facing infant car seat base. Anybody put rear facing infant seat in their 00 Max?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Are you positive they're not there? LATCH is an acronym for LOWER ANCHORS and TETHERS for CHILDREN. It would seem odd for your car to have the upper anchors and not the lower anchors. In my 02, they are difficult to get to but they are there.
    I took the entire back seat out and I don't see any lower latch anchors. There are two anchors down there that the seat belt buckles are already attached / bolted to. In order to get anything to clip onto these anchors, I'd have to unbolt what looks like a 12 to 16mm bolt that the existing belts are fastened with. That can't be right??? Shouldn't there just be two anchors sitting right there with nothing connected to them?
    Yep.
    Then the 2000 SE doesn't have the "latch" system, at least the lower anchors. It may be because I have a very early edition 2000, built in 99. I only have the 16" wheels and a couple other very subtle differences between my 2000 and later 2000 releases.
    Yeah that could be it. I don't think latch was required until 2001 anyway. I have a 2000 4runner that doesn't have them either.
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Member Posts: 18
    Anyone know where I could find individual options and option packages that were offered on the 2003 Maxima? Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Follow the links from the blue Used Cars tab at the top of the page.
  • frabbitfrabbit Member Posts: 4
    I have an '01 Maxima and am having problems with the steering wheel radio controls. They stick and don't work. I took it to the dealer and was told they don't fix anything having to do with the radio or controls. Does anyone have this problem, or know what I should tell the dealer?
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Tell the dealer that his service department is incompetent.

Then go to another dealer that knows what it is doing.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    Can someone tell me how easy or hard to change spark plugs of my '97 Maxima? and which type of spark plugs to use. i.e. OEM, Bosch platinum ??? I am told that I don't need to change mine for every 60K interval and I don't really know which type of spark plugs that I currently have. Thanks for your input.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    It takes about an hour to do this job because you need to remove individual coil over each spark plug first(I assume that the 97 model has individual ignition coils over each plug). Also, you need to remove a cover on the front valve cover to access the coils. You will need a rubber lined spark plug socket and about 12 inch extension to reach the plugs which are located in deep plug wells between the cams on each cylinder head.

Before removing spark plugs, recommend blasting spark plug holes with compressed air to remove dirt and sand to prevent them from falling into the cylinders (assuming engine is cold when you do this). When installing new plugs, always screw them in by hand by turning the extension with your fingers. Only when you are sure the plugs are threaded correctly, use a ratchet to tighten them. Make sure you use recommended torque because overtightening can damage the aluminum threads in the cylinder head. You can also use small amount of antiseize paste on the plug threads.

I recommend using the OEM plugs. They are pricey from Nissan dealers. The best price I found was from www.sparkplugs.com.

When removing the rear cylinder head coils, you will need to remove several brackets to access some coils. Make sure you do not drop any fasteners, which will be then hard to retrieve. Also, be carefull disconnecting the coil electrical connectors so you do not break them.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    There's a good description with pictures here
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    Just Phil... Thanks for the information.Greatly appreciated
  • bigbanditobigbandito Member Posts: 10
    Reading through some posts regarding premium gas vs. regular reminds me of the posts on the motorcycle boards where I occasionally hang out. There, it's usually oil, not gas, but the theme is the same. Someone knows it all, someone else is anal, and someone else is a newbie (we call 'em "squids") who is going nuts about all the choices he/she is forced to make. After 15 years as a motorcyclist and 25 years as a motorist, mostly doing my own maintenance, I can say without a doubt....

You absolutely MUST use Hess 93 octane and Mobil 1 5W30 or your engine will seize up and explode.

There! I said it. Now go out and enjoy your car and quit sweating the small crap!
    Say what you want, but using brand name good fuel and oil and changing oil and filter every 3K miles works for me. I recently changed the timing belt on my 99 Mazda 626 V6 and replaced the valve cover gaskets. The engine at 101 K miles was absolutely clean, no sign of sludge in any of the visible cam journal bearing oil holes or anywhere else. I never replaced any oxygen sensors in any of my cars, and never had injectors professionally cleaned because they did not need it. And engine check light never comes on. I know a lot of people who use the cheapest 87 octane they can find, change oil once in a while, and spend hundreds of dollars annually on replacement of sensors, injector cleaning, etc. Anyway, 93 octane Chevron, Mobil, BP, etc, and Castrol GTX oil work for me.
    Anyone know where I can find a stock grille for an '03 Maxima SE? Does it come with the Nissan emblem? How difficult to install? Thanks!
    I'm almost due for 45,000 mile service on my '01 GLE. I dread these 15,000 mile - jobs at the dealership because they seem so expensive. On the other hand, I've not had any repair jobs yet so maybe it works out. The sheet from my dealership estimates a cost of $342 for this service but Edmund's maintenance guide only estimates $78. Looks like the extras from the dealer are "replace air cleaner filter", "4 wheel alignment" and "engine flush". Are these necessary at 45,000 miles and would they account for the extra cost? I got new tires over the summer; wouldn't they be aligned correctly then?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    depends if you're looking for OEM grill or not.. but on that site, i won't name it since you can't name sites on here, but the popular auction site, they have listings for new aftermarket grills for your maxima... most of them are brand new aftermarket parts.. alot cheaper than at the dealership..
    I am looking for OEM grill. I looked on that other site and did not find OEM, and only a few aftermarket mesh styles. Any other ideas - other than a dealer?
    I just got a new price schedule for service costs at my dealership and the 15k basic service is $225 and premium is $275. Of course this all depends on where you live. Alignments and flushes are extra so that could account for the $342 you were quoted. A four wheel alignment any where you go is usually between $60 and $80. Also, I've always been told that those flushes don't do any more for your car and may even be worse than regular fluid changes. As far as the new tire issues, they would only be aligned if you actually got an alignment with the tires. If so, no worries.
    I never take any of my vehicles to "dealer scheduled service". I change my own oil every 3K miles and use OEM oil filters, change air filters about every 15k miles, use chevron Techron fuel cleaner every 5 k miles of so in the gas tank, change engine coolant about every 20k miles(no flush, just drain and refill), and use good brand name fuel. I have wheel alignment done about every 60K miles. No problems with any vehicles, no engine check lights, no engine problems, and they have about 100K miles each on them.

At 60K miles I would recomment the following for your car:

engine coolant replacement

replace engine drive belts

four wheel alignment

replace brake fluid

change air and fuel filters

I would skip the 45 K service and do the above at 60K (with the exception of the air filer replacement, which needs to be done as required). Just my $0.02 worth.
    what exactly is the "engine drive belts" that need to be replaced?
    Alternator, power steering, and A/C compressor belts. My 98 Maxima has two of these belts. These belts usually show signs of wear at 60k miles
    p100, good advice.. wouldnt have thought of these items to service..thanks
    You can find an OEM used grill at many wrecking yards. They typically sell these parts at 1/2 the dealer retail for an identical part.
    let me tell you about salvage yards... i recently tried looking for a front bumper, fender, and headlights for my 99 mustang which i crashed because of ice on the highway... i tried calling about 10 places and none of them had it.. i would give the yards around your area a call, but i wouldnt count on them having a grill that new..
    It depends who you call. Many salvage yards nowadays have computerized inventory and share this database with other yards. So they can get you a part from another location. Rest assure there is a 2002 or 2003 Maxima with a good front grill in a junkyard somewhere as I write this. This is a pretty common car. You are not looking for a grill for a 1935 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

I personally have had good luck with salvage yards. I was able to get a correct color center console in great shape for my 83 Mercedes 300 SD for $ 75. This console retails for over $ 700 from Mercedes dealers. I also got a full size spare with aluminum wheel in like new condition for $ 15. The rim alone retails for $ 450.

Try silverstarrecycling.com.
    well sydney4163... good luck and i hope you find your grill... keep us posted on where you get your grill from
  • bobfeldbobfeld Member Posts: 33
    Im looking for some advice. I have a 2003 maxima gle with 12,000 miles on it. ive had the car 2 years. my car is always garaged and i do not drive on dusty/country roads. I have not experience any odor or dust in the cabin. Is it necessary to re-place the micro filter at this stage-or would it be a waste of money? Thanks for any advice on this.
    i would say..with only 12k miles, i doubt you need to change it so soon.. i would go another 12k miles before changing...
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    You and I have the same car and same mileage (not sure if we have the same color combo). Like you, my car is also garaged and I have not changed my filter. I think when the windowshield starts getting more difficult to defog or the inside of the car starts smelling, I will then change the filter:-)
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    Bought car new only 26000 miles,what is the problem with this car in the snow and rain??is there to much torque to the wheels or what,tires will need replacement too soon,what is a good tire to combat this problem if there is one,or this to continue, might be looking to an Acura TL anyone have feed back on hydro planing or inadequacies in the snow
    What trouble are you having? My Max ('01) performs quite well in bad weather. AS for tires, I really like the Bridgestone Turanza LH.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    car hydroplanes easily,traction in snow horrible skids easy,has oem 225x50x17 tires basically are shot,but problem has been with car since new(do not have traction control option is that the reason)
    well.. i would sum up all your traction problems in a line you wrote yourself:

tires basically are shot

tires are the more important part of your car..get new ones and your handling in snow will get better... having traction control helps too..

although tires are inadeaquate this problem has been consistent since car was new, looked at cooper sle touring ( about the most reasonbly priced tire out there,stacks up pretty well against big namers,anyone have any feedback on this rubber--
    al57, i dont doubt that you had traction problems ever since your car was new... but i dont think you'll find alot of folks here that have the same traction problems you have unless their tires were getting low on treadwear life... we seem to have problems more related to rotors, or oxygen sensors with the 2000/2001 maximas..
    thanks for the input,,Ive had no issues with oxygen sensors,paint chips or bad rotors ( i have tires tightened by hand)Guess ive been lucky although with only 26k, i hope to have some problem free driving,warranty is over for age only,car never been to dealer except for finish rubbing off door handle
  • max05max05 Member Posts: 29
    i just traded in a 2000 Max. SE for a 2005 SL. I have lived in the Boston area all my life and am an experienced driver in the snow. The 05 does not handle as well, especially at the start. I assume the extra 43 horsepower may have something to do with it as well as the larger size...