Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    nask... i have a 2000 and changed my rotors for Brembo OEM rotors at 50bucks each... my cousin got his generic ones for 25 bucks each... but thats just for parts... good luck
  • aby1aby1 Member Posts: 1
    Let me know my model for 96 nissan maxima- VIN # 2TM4416431 (last 10 digits)
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    VIN #, How to Read it.
    1st digit is where vehicle is built, 1,4,5=USA, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico, Puerto Rico or Costa Rico, 6=Australia, 9=Brazil, J=Japan, K=South Korea, L=Tawain, S=United Kingdom, V=France or Yugoslavia, W=Germany, Y=Sweeden, Z=Italy.

2nd and 3rd characters indicate specific manufacturer.

4th through 8th characters are a portrait of the specific vehicle, Brand, Body Style, Engine Size & Type, etc.

9th character is a security code that identifies the VIN as being authorized by the manufacturer. Law enforcement can determine if a VIN is authentic or not from this character on a specific vehicle.

10th character is the model year of the car. 1980=A, H=1987, J=1988, N=1992, P=1993, T=1996, V=1997, through Y=2000. Then 1 = 2001 and so on. There are no I, O, U, or Z years.

11th character is the specific plant which assembled the vehicle. Each manufacturer uses different codes to identify their plants.

12th-17th characters are the serial number of the specific vehicle. Not all companies start at #000001, practices vary among manufacturers.

SE's have body colored door handles (from factory).

GLE's and GXE's have chrome door handles (from factory).

All GLE's have auto climate control and leather interior (from factory).

All GXE's have manual climate control and cloth interior (from factory)
  • hunter1uthunter1ut Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Nissan Altima with the exact same problem. I was wondering if you fixed your problem and which of the three parts required replacing?
  • mfb2244mfb2244 Member Posts: 1
    How do I take off the broken mirror. A used part shop is sending me a new one. Thanks!
  • thaddockthaddock Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. This verifies what my local mechanic told me. The reason it came up is Nissan kept sending me coupons for discounts on replacing my timing 'belt' at 75,000. I have a 97 Maxima GLE with 84,000. My Nissan dealership replaced the timing 'belt' on my 94 Quest a while back at 110,000 miles. That was the last time I have paid those prices for service.
  • thaddockthaddock Member Posts: 3
    For what it is worth, my 97 Maxima GLE gets 31-32 MPG on the highway after 84,000 miles. Everything is original equipment and it looks great. Bose stereo went out about 70,000, so I replaced it with an Alpine system that included XM Radio using the same Bose speakers that came on the car. I explored replacing the original Bose system, but it requires shipping the old one to San Diego and waiting a few weeks/months and then paying either your local Nissan dealership service dept. or an independent garage to reinstall. The price to reinstall was more than the price of the replacement unit. The local Nissan dealership was not very enthusiastic about that process and recommended I look at third party solutions locally. The Alpine system sounds very good but not as good as the original. Also the Alpine system randomly resets all the station settings. Could be an installation problem.
    My leather seats in back are drying a bit so I am trying to get help treating them before they crack.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might find some helpful thoughts in our Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors discussion - let us know!
  • kjhuckkjhuck Member Posts: 2
    My Maxima 2004, was doing the same thing. I woud hit the breaks and it would pull. Also my steering collum was out of alignment. You had better check for the bolt on the steering near the tire. Mine came out and my wheels went pigeon toed, and I was just about to get on the highway headed for home.
    I tried to explain this to the dealer and they did not want to listen. This is a safety issue and I had to jump up and down to get some attention, and that was minimal.
  • mfridlyandmfridlyand Member Posts: 1
    Is something like a transmission filter exists on 2001 Maxima GXE model, if yes when it needs to be replaced
    Thanks
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The Nissan Maxima was featured in a six way large family sedan comparison test featuring the Buick Lacrosse, Chrysler 300, Ford Five Hundred, Kia Amanti and Toyota Avalon. The Maxima placed third, beaten by.......you can guess.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9639&page_number=1
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Member Posts: 18
    Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed many times before on these forums, however hope that everyone can provide some help. I have an 03 Max. I believe the radio antenna is located in the rear window. First of all, can anyone confirm this? Secondly, for those who have tinted their windows, has there been any affect to radio reception after tint - both AM and FM? Any advise on tinting?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney4163
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    When did Nissan ELIMINATE this option on the Maxima?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I have a nice tint on my 00 Max, the darkest shade being on the back window, 1 step into the illegal range, side windows are legal. I haven't noticed any degradation in radio reception at all. I wouldn't worry about that. My advice would be to have a professional do the tint, I've never seen a decent do it yourself tint, they always look purple and have bubbles. I went with a guy who has his own business of doing tint out of his garage for like 20 years. I'm in MN. Car is 5 yrs old with 90K and zero issues with tint, looks like new with no bubbles. Cost was $250 for all windows, including little tiny ones in rear and also sunroof, not windshield though.
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the response. I am also in MN - Twin Cities area. Can I ask where did you have the tint done? I got a quote from a shop in Eden Prarie - about the same price. Seemed like a very reputable location. Tint laws in MN require 50%. Seems very light - how do you like it? I am considering going slightly below legal. Have you had any issues with the darker window in back? I see an awful lot of cars on the road with pretty dark windows.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Interesting pricing on tint up there. I guess it's what the market will bear. Down here in the mid-atlantic you can get that job done at decent shops for between 100 and 150. Probably more competition down here.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I used a guy named Dave Metz over in White Bear Lake, does it out of his garage. Works on a lot of high end cars. He's the best. I have his card somewhere, I'll try to find it and post the info or email it since not supposed to solicit on this site. No issues with darker window in back, if could do it again would maybe even do the sides that dark. Didn't want to risk being pulled over though, tickets ain't cheap these days. My tint still, 5 yrs later, looks brand new.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    For those who have purchased it and received the service agreement, is it personalized (with warranty#, VIN, name, address, etc) document?
    Or is it just a generic document with descritpion of covered items under the specific level of warranty you purchased?
    I purchased one more than two months ago, have never received the service agreement, called the Nissan, they said they requested for reprint and told me to wait 2 to 4 weeks. And now that four weeks passed by, I still have not received it.
    I talked to the selling dealer personnel, and according to her, she bought one for own Nissan vehicle and did not receive it either so I should not be concerned.
    I am concerned, though. (I do have the application form with purchase price and level of warranty, etc. But that application states I should receive the service agreement.)
    If it's not a personalized item, I may just have to put this to rest.
    BTW, people who I have spoke to over the phone in Nissan were basically no help. I asked them to find out why I was not receiving it, and they said all they could do was to request for reprint again and again. AND they don't know who else I can contact to resolve this issue...
    Thanks for reading.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Each time I've purchased a Nissan extended warranty, I've received the same documentation as you did, just a generic brochure, but I did get a detailed receipt. When I needed service, I just went to a Nissan dealer and they had the information in their computer systems, based on the VIN #.
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    Yes, there is a filter inside the pan. On my '01 GLE, I change the fluid every 25-30k miles and change the filter every other time. When I first pulled it at 50k, the filter did look pretty clean-so I am guessing you could go longer.

Dave
  • torrytorry Member Posts: 2
    I have read the posts on regular vs. premium in the Maxima, but I am wondering if it is any different with the new Maxima engine? Is there anyone out there with one who has been using regular gas? I am not going to buy a car that requires premium gas at this point. BTW, the Nissan sales guys all say it's OK, but I wonder about their depth of knowledge/experience as well as their motivations.
    dont do it.. dont buy a maxima and put regular gas in... if u're looking for something u could put reg into.. buy a camry or something similar.. maxima's are preformance engines....
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Called both local dealers about this. One quoted $625 and included things like replace drive belts, change transmission fluid (even though it's a manual), repack rear wheel bearings in addition to the stuff one would expect. The other quoted $400 and had fuel injector cleaning but not drive belt or bearing repack. The car has been maintained pretty much by the book.

The manual only goes 60k miles then says repeat the schedule which puts me back at the 30k service. What's a reasonable price for this service?
    See what the owner's manual says. Many of the engines for which premium is recommended will run fine although with somewhat reduced performance on regular. I saw a recent post on the G35 forum that said the owner was using regular without any problems.
    i would follow your manual concerning what is needed for the 90k service... dealers will always add unneccessary items to inflate their profits.... the book never lies about what you need....
  • george2k5george2k5 Member Posts: 2
    I've been using regular in my '05 SL without any noticable performance problems, or any signs of knock (pinging). I did use premium when I took a trip through the mountains (L.A. to Las Vegas), but I'm not sure if that was necessary.
    on my son's 1998 Max? None of my sockets or lug wrenches fit.
  • jefferjeffer Member Posts: 31
    I know I'm replying to a post that is 1.5 years old but just wanted to add my experience to the mix. I too have a '00 Max and it was running like crap. Anytime I tried to accelerate it would bog down and often the rpm's would decrease. I had to tromp on the peddle and still it would barely budge.
    After reading through the posts I started to think it might be the O2 sensors. Then I took it to a place call Advanced Auto Parts. They were able to read the SES code and it said basically "bank 1 too lean, bank 2 too lean". Well the nice, but clueless folks there offfered some suggestions as to what it might be. But then none of the parts came up in their system, so I left empty handed (good thing as you will soon see).
    Then I went to Auto Zone where they too got the same code. The even nicer woman who helped felt somewhat confident that it was the O2 sensors but after explaining were they might be I decided it was not a job I was able to do since I was on vacation and miles from home.
    So I made an appointment with a Nissan dealer in Horseheads, NY. That's right, I always have visions of the Godfather when I hear that name.
    Anyway I took the car in and tried to tell them that I thought it might be the O2 sensors. But the nice man at the counter said it would be kind of weird for both sensors to go at the same time. That made sense to me so I left the car and went back to the lake where I was staying. The down side was that I had to extend my vacation a couple extra days. :)
    Anyway I called the dealer the next day and they said they fixed the problem. As with the case sited above it was the MAF sensor. Unfortunately not under warranty for me as I have 90K on the car so $300 later I retrieved my vehicle. BUT - after picking up the car and driving down the road it ran like it was a teenager again. Vroom Vroom. Yeeha! I was a happy camper again. The problem really had me worried as it seemed like it could be the transmission or something major with the engine. So in some respects I was happy that it only cost me $300.
    However, the nice man at the Nissan dealer (Van Brunt) did tell me that I should get the genuine Nissan air filter. He said it may cost a couple dollars more but it was specially designed to protect the MAF because it was impregnated with oil.
    So just wanted to pass that on, whether you believe it or want to take that advice is up to you. I've had bad experiences at a dealer in Mass but that's another story. For now I am happy and accelerating with gusto!

regards,
    Jeffer
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    They are 21mm
  • maxdrvrmaxdrvr Member Posts: 1
    When gas started going thru the roof in price I began using reg. gas in my 2004 Max. I have noticed no adverse affects or lack of performance in the 10K of mileage so far. Runs great for less. GO for it. In fact talking to some authorities in the car business, very few cars really require premium. :shades:
  • maxdanmaxdan Member Posts: 4
    Hi,Guys,
    Might bother you for the same old question.
    Recently, the check engine light on my 97 maxima was on and I brought to my mechanic and he said that two O2 sensors were gone and replaced for me with parts from nissan dealer. But, just after one day, the check engine light was on again and I brought the car to Autozone and this time it is the knock sensor. Will the knock sensor trigger the check engine light on? I remember that nissan dealer told me it won't. If the knock sensor is really gone, do I have to replace it? I know the knock adjusts engine timing in case of bad oil, but I always use premium. My car needs state inspection now and I can't pass it with the damned check engine light on!
    Have a good one.
    As far as I know, knock sensor alone won't turn the light on, but it will have an error code in the ECM. The inspection station hooks up into your ECM, so you will need to have it fixed. Alternatively, try resetting it, maybe it won't come back.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Check engine light has been on and off over last couple months, but mostly off. Car is 97 Max with 170K. Had this happen when car was at approx 70K and dealer fixed with new gas cap. Talked to parts guy recently and new gas cap is about 16 dollars, but with car age he said probably not gas cap, so did not buy. Need to take car in soon for oil change. Car perf (accel, mileage) very good, so tempted to not have situation looked at by mechanic. Always use genuine Nissan parts, such as air filter, brake pads, etc.
    If there's an Autozone near you, they can get the codes for free. If not, search the web, and you'll find the info on how to do it yourself. Or shoot me an e-mail, it's in my profile. Make sure you turn the engine off when you fill up gas, and don't overfill (although that last advice is not going to help, if you've violated it in the past). Let us know what you find out!
    Thanks for the help you guys!
    Actually, instead of the knock sensor, I did have another error code about gas emission. The guy in Autozone said I didn't close the gas cap tight when I filled the tank. Plus, I used to fill the tank full, and might overfill sometime. But, if I asked Autozone to reset the code and supposedly my gas cap is o.k., the check engine light will not come out even the knock sensor is gone? I will bring my car to my mechanic next Tue. I will let you know what I find out.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Thanks for help. When check engine light is on, has not been for about a week, where do I look on car, engine compart, etc., to get code number? Again, tempted to ignore whole thing - acceleration good, gas mileage good, idle ok, oil consumption very minimal, etc.
    Look here
  • 442fool442fool Member Posts: 9
    This car may be the ugliest thing on the road, what are they thinking?
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    What exactly and yes I mean exactly (part numbers, part specifications etc) are the differences in the suspensions between the SE and GLE 2002 Maxima models? I know the SE suspension is supposedly stiffer and all the reviews online mention the SE having a stiffer suspension but all the struts, shocks and springs have the same part number associated with them and every nissan dealership contacted says the suspensions are the same. How can this be?

I remember test driving both the GLE and GXE models and noting the softer suspensions of each. I have an SE and would like the softer ride of the GLE and/or GXE. Does anyone know any exact specifics regarding the differences?

Anyone know?
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    I have read on a couple message boards that there is speculation that the 2006 Maxima will have a redesigned interior. Anyone else heard this rumor? Any credibility to it?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Well, first off all the 06 model is the Max's 25th Anniversery.

I'm not sure if any changes are going to be made per se. So far everyone over at Maxima.org thinks the 06 will carry over with very few changes and that once the 07s hit the lots, the Max will get optional AWD and a new interior and changes to the exterior.

I was really hoping 06 would be the year Nissan updates the Maxima but I'm not sure what Nissan is planing to do.

So far for 06...

Sunroof controls get changed.
    Bluetooth is added as an option I think.
    And a few changes to some things (headliner, etc.)

Other than that, I haven't heard anything at all..not even talk of a 25th Ann. edition.

Also, we have to take into account that the Murano and Quest are up for facelifts this year...but next year will be even more exciting....new Sentra and Altima come in. I wonder if Nissan will wait until the Altima is fully redesigned before giving the Max an update?
    My maxima 97 with 111k miles has the check engine light on these days. Bring to Auto Zone and check the codes. I have PO325 knock sensor Bank 1 and two PO440 Emission Control. Has anyone has the same problem before, especially for the Emission Control code, since my mechanic can't tell what it is. Is knock sensor a must to change if it is bad? Could I pass NYS inspection without doing the knock sensor?
    Thanks.
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    I am not sure if Nissan wants to spend money on the maxima getting updates but it is due for one soon since it has been on the market since March of 2003
    Phil,
    What will happen if I overfill the tank? Since I know the knock sensor won't trigger the check engine light. Besides the knock sensor code, I got two codes of PO 440 for Emission Control. That happened soon after I filled my tank full.
    Your e-mail is private in your profile.

Maxdan
    I did a search on the web, and it looks PO 440 is caused by the evap system not being able to maintain vacuum (it's not really vacuum, just pressure lower than atmospheric, to avoid gas fumes leaking into the environment). There's a number of components that this includes, one of which is the so-called EVAP canister. It's a canister with charcoal, located just in front of your left rear wheel, IIRC. When you overfill you gas tank, some gasoline may spill over into this canister, clogging it, or otherwise making it ineffective. I haven't had any issues with it myself, but my dad had to bring his lexus to the dealer four times before they figured out what was wrong. So, I say you need to find a mechanic who knows how to troubleshoot this.

Sorry about the e-mail, you can use my screen name at yahoo dot com. I could e-mail you some links with relevant info, so that you could explore them for yourself.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It would be great if you would just post the links here for all to benefit ...
    Does the newmodel year typically hit in August/September or more of an October debut?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But usally if the car isn't significantly changed (and at times even when it is) the cars appear around Mid August to mid September.

I think Nissan will release information on the 06 Maxima within the next couple of weeks.

With Nissan's SUVs though, sometimes they aren't released until as late as Nov.

The 06 Maxima should be appearing pretty soon. Folks over at Maxima.org are doubting a facelift for 06, though as I mentioned the 06 model year will be the Max's 25th year in production. Would be a shame if they didn't offer a special pkg for it at least.
    Thanks for your insight! I tried to search the forums over at maxima.org for more info but apparently their search fucntion is broken. :(