Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Are you a recent new-car buyer who had a trade-in with negative equity (that is, the amount you still owed on your auto loan was greater than the car's value)?

A reporter from a national publication would like to speak with you; please reach out to PR@edmunds.com by Wednesday, March 27 for more details.

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    My 2002 seems overly harsh over bumps and has a bounce/jounce to it. Can you tell me more about the replacements you had to get?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    Hi, I've recently started to notice that when i make turns, there is a screeching noise coming from my wheel well... i'm not sure what it is... has anyone on this board noticed this before.... mine's a 2000 maxima gle..

thanks,kyle
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Did you hit something with your tires (like a curb or a corner)? If so, that could loosen the tires and cause a bit of play between the tires and your wheel axle/hub. Put the car on a lift, spin the wheels to see if there is any play, and tighten if necessary. Just my hunch.
  • mj9981mj9981 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 SE. My car was doing the same thing except it was on the right side.In short, I replaced the front wheel bearing. I saved around $800.00 doing it myself. You can buy parts online and save about 40% on price than you can get at dealer. If you are mechanically inclined and have a really good press, then go for it. Don't let your friend who "thinks" he can do it. It is not a bad job but one that takes time and know how.Torgues are very important too. Get a manual. MJ9981
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    How is the 2007's CVT? Its it better to get the 06? I mean the 06 does have 10 more horses. The interior on the 07 is nicer but i never saw anything wrong with the 06 other than the clutter. Any comments on the MPG? I see the fog light difference but is the visibility that much difference?

-Cj :confuse:
  • rebskipperrebskipper Member Posts: 1
    RE: 2004 Maxima: Need to replace the driver side electric/heated mirror. New mirror is on order but I :confuse: Cannot see how to remove the old mirror. The one piece unit appearts to be bolted on to something on the inside. Any experience here is appreciated?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "I'm sorry, dmaljunk, I don't recall mentioning the brand name on the struts, but I would assume they're probably McPherson's? I know that's what I had on my 1988 Mazda RX-7 back in the eighties. Also, I'm not sure if the
    struts would be different on the GLE." ((

I realize I'm late to the party with a comment on maximafan's post, but the McPherson naming convention is in reference to the Scottish-born Ford of England engineer who devised the simplified coil-over-strut style suspension system that uses only a lower control arm to locate the wheel hub laterally and longitudinally. It's not a brand name. Neither Ford nor Mr. McPherson patented the design, so it's in general use worldwide. Though the componentry is always basically similar, it's never intentionally interchangeable from one automaker to another. The struts, themselves - essentially shock absorbers - would probably be internally valved differently in the Maxima than the Altima even though they might be physically similar enough to be interchanged. There're also unnamed variants of the McPherson concept in wide use that add an upper control arm to the mix.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    Please give us a scientific reason why we can't switch from a mid grade fuel to reg grade fuel for a 10-yr old Maxima. Thanks
    oem tires: 215-55-16

does anyone know if i could put 205-55-16's on my maxima?

and is there a need to adjust the alignment for the rear wheels on a 2000 maxima that has the Multi-Link Beam suspension in the back... thanks!
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    you usually upsize your tires not downsize - see tire calculator here for exact impact: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

Rear wheels do not need to be aligned on 2000 Maxima.
  • mj2000maxsemj2000maxse Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Maxima Se. I used Irotors Crossed Drilled and Slotted Rotors. They were $139 plus $40 shipping total of $179 for all four Rotors. They work great stop very quick. However, if you get them, dont use the original brake pads from Nissan. I have not upgraded to High Performance Brake pads yet but am planning on. The Rotors from IRotors.com are great. How are your Hawk Break Pads working? I might change to them.
    i was also thinking irotors when i was replacing my 2000 maxima oem rotors a year ago but from what i found out, you can't resurface slotted or drilled rotors...

is this true for you??
  • mj2000maxsemj2000maxse Member Posts: 3
    You cant resurface the crossed drilled and Slotted rotors but the rotors from Irotors are very good and as long as you get good brake pads (Performance pads) to go along, you should be good for a few years. Resurfacing on a 2000 max is not that great anyhow, thats why I went with Irotors.\

What kind of Brake Pads are you using?
  • vtwondervtwonder Member Posts: 11
    Any idea what's a reasonable cost to replace 95 Maxima clutch? Local Nissan dealership is asking for $925. The car has about 109K miles. Thanks.
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    OEM 215s are sometimes not easy to find. We've been running 205s for the summer tires for a couple years now for this very reason, no problems whatsoever. Just make sure the weight rating for the tire is high enough to support the car.
    just the info i needed... i wanted to make sure there were no problems running the 205's....

by the way... I'm using OEM brake pads i bought from advance auto parts.... they're not special pads
  • phillydogphillydog Member Posts: 1
    I know this is kind of off the subject, but I can't find any related topics. I have a 99 Maxima SE with the 190hp 3.0 and auto trans. I would love to upgrade to the 3.5 265hp engine and trans. that newer model Altimas and Maximas came with. I know I'll need all electronics from donor car, and was wondering if anyone has done this swap.
  • godaddy1godaddy1 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at buying a used 2001 (3.0 L) versus 2002 (3.5L) but I am concerned with 2 things:
    1. do both 2001 & 2002 require premium gas?
    2. in real world, how does mpg compare between the two engines both with auto (would love the 5sp but wife is does want to mess with clutch)?

any info helpful...
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    1. Yes.
    2. For my '01 I get 27 mpg highway, 23-24 city -- down to 22 in the winter.
    The '01 is so smooth and powerful, I can't imagine why one would need even more! :)
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam - thanks for the info! :D
    i have a 2000 maxima.... i dont know one person that questions about getting more HP ... plus with the 02 maxima, you get HID lites and other new features.. if it doesn't cost alot more than an 01.. i would def spring for an 02... i personally would love to have an 02 maxima..
    The only reason I am leaning more towards the 01 versus 02 is in metro areas, the HIDs on 02s seem to attract theives :mad: !? Am I being too paronoid about HIDs being jacked?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Hi, godaddy! I had a 2002 Maxima SE up until
    it was totalled in a wreck back in July. I
    have definitely mourned this car, it was such
    a nice car. The issue with the Xenon lights
    depends on what City or area you live in.
    I live in the Tampa Bay area and there have
    been no reports of HID thefts on 2002-2003
    Maximas. I have heard some reports of HID thefts in the Miami area and particularly the
    New York/New Jersey area. Oh, and possibly
    in the State of Texas also. So if you don't
    happen to live in any of these cities or states, I think you should be all right!

Good luck shopping for your Maxima. I don't
    think you can go wrong with either model year.
    if you're that concerned about the lites.. u could always have them removed.. sell them on ebay... buy regular headlites and still be out on top...

what is the price difference btw a 2001 and a 2002??
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    2002 is a newer and improved model over 2001 but at a cost. There are many parts, which cost considerably more. The Mass Airflow Sensor, for example costs close to $400 on 2002 versus $105 on 2001 because of the added heat element. You are looking at a 5 year old car and so I would imagine you gotta care about these things. Both vehicles will be out of warranty and each has its own history of known issues. Just look up technical service bulletins, general issues on forums and see prices for major parts
  • cmiddl1cmiddl1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 Maxima SE, and the steering is not as "tight" as my 1996 SE. I can make smaller turns with the 96 then the 03; is the turning radius larger in the 2003 SE or is there a problem with the sterring colum on this car? :)
  • jennifervanmatjennifervanmat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE. I replaced the alternator and battery less than a year ago. On Monday as I was driving home the brake light and the battery light came on. It went off in about 20 seconds and the car did not seem to run any different. Then it happened again twice this morning. Again, no difference in the way the car starts or runs. Anyone have an idea on what this would be??
  • lilchipmunk27lilchipmunk27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Nissan Maxima. Recently my airbag sensor has came on and basically it stays on. It flickers sometimes but always remains in my sight. Why is this on and what can I do to turn it off?
  • jennifervanmatjennifervanmat Member Posts: 2
    I have the 1997 Maxima with the problem posted above. It turned out to be a faulty diode in my alternator. Get your battery tested and if it is running low voltage you probably need to have your alternator replaced.
  • pacmanplayerpacmanplayer Member Posts: 1
    Hi .can ANYONE tell me where the nock Sensor is located on a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE ????? Please help .Im trying to do this myself without getting ripped off .. Any help would be greatly appreciated ..
  • dhampdhamp Member Posts: 8
    I don't know your mechanical abilities or patience level, but you'll definitely want to have both to replace that knock sensor. The fastest way to do it is to pull the intake plenums and all of the top of the motor since the knock sensor sits in the "V" up top. That's a lot of screws and gaskets. It's possible to do it w/out removing all of that, but it's a lot more tedious. You'll definitely want a flex-shaft or angle shaft for your ratchet.
  • dhampdhamp Member Posts: 8
    I drove the '07 CVT to satisfy my own curiosity when they first hit the showroom. It was fresh off the truck with the protective white plastic still stuck all over it. The seat-of-the-pants meter said it was slower than an '87 Sentra. Watching the speedo, however, indicated that it accelerating pretty well. The place where I was forced to do the test drive limited how hard I could get on it. It was smooth as the commercials say, but it felt unexciting to me. The interior on the '07 is so much nicer to me than the '04-'06's though. I mean WAY nicer. If the one I was driving had more than .7 miles on it, and had been broken in, it may have felt stronger. I might go find a used '07 w/more than 10k mi on it and test drive that, then buy a new one if I like the perfermance of the broken-in used one.
  • lcm8lcm8 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Maxima exhibits significant engine breaking when I take my foot off the gas at speeds of about 40 or less. Feels a little like driving in neutral. It will pull back for a few seconds and then all of a sudden feel like it is back in normal mode, and almost lurches a little sometimes. Has anyone else expereinced this? I like the CVT in general, but this is annoying. Not sure if this is just a function of the CVT or if I should have it checked out.
  • kackysmomkackysmom Member Posts: 2
    I've had a problem with my foot missing the accerator when I go from the brake pedal to the accerator. I haven't worried too much but last week I pulled in our driveway and I hit the garage door button I couldn't find the brake pedal. I drove thur the door and ended up hitting the freezer (had to buy another one) I'm about 5'4 with rather small feet so I keep the seat up fairly close and sometimes I feel like my foot is going to slide off the brake pedal. Sorry this is so long but I'm actually scared to drive it very much and I've considered trading This is a 2005 and did look brand new.
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    For the ones that want to know... an update from my new 2006 S40 Volvo, 23K miles trouble free driving experience. Only complain.... orthopedic front seat hard to dominate.... otherwise silence cabin, great MPG numbers, great motor, great MPG , good sport handling, great transmission shift, $0 maintenance charged and great MPG. Yes more than 25MPG average. Honestly I do not miss my old 2005 Nissan Maxima "my worse car deal in my life".
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Kidding right?
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    Comparing apples to oranges. Full size large sedan compared to compact, overpriced, underpowered and FORD built vehicle? Most turbos in gasoline cars do not last long so my opinion you bought it for a year or 2. I don't know your experience, but in Maxima I get more power, more space for all passengers and luggage, same or higher MPG without any turbo lag. You should compare Sentra to S40. Paying premium for a compact car? If I were you, I will go for BMW instead. 3 Series surely beats s40 in every category.
    Let me guess, in queens there is dealership which shares floor for Nissan and Volvo. Is this where you got it?
  • cidxiecidxie Member Posts: 7
    I heard that 2008 maxima would be on market around late Sept. or early Oct. So, do you think the price of 2007 maxima will come down alot at that time? Anybody knows if 06 maxima lower down its price when 07 version comes out? Thx!!
  • suzi54suzi54 Member Posts: 1
    i just got an 03 maxima but has a 95 one. i know their is a trick to this but cant seem to get it .we fooled with alot of the buttons on the drivers side and now the passengers side window will go up but comes back down half way. how do i make it quit doing this and just go up and down? when you want to turn the car off the window is still half down, help
  • billazerabillazera Member Posts: 9
    hi, GeorgeD98

Do you mind tell me how often time wise(?monthes) that you change oil for 10K change intervals? Do you have to stick with 3 month peroid? 10k for 3 month is a lot of driving.

Thank you
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Icm8, my 2007 Lexus RX 350 does the same thing.
    I thought that was a characteristic of Toyota/Lexus transmissions, but after hearing that you're experiencing the same thing in the
    Maxima, I'm not so sure now why these cars drive like this!
    P.S. I have the 5-speed automatic, no CVT tranny.
  • atuzai1atuzai1 Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to buy a 2002 maxima SE from a private seller. The car drives and looks fine, it has New Struts and Motor Mounts due to engine vibration. others parts are claimed all original. Now comes my question: I found there are no VIN# on any of the doors, hood and trunk . Is this normal for Nissan Maxima? Any 2002 SE owner can confirm this? Thanks!!
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I've got an 02 SE. The vin # is on a tag at the front of the dash. You can see it from outside of the wind shield. I think it's on the drivers side. I'm not looking at it right now but I will confirm later.
  • waborenwaboren Member Posts: 8
    I just did my 90k Service on my 2001 Maxima GXE. I complained about a noise in my A/C and the dealer checked it and says something wrong with the A/c and it needs to be replaced.. Is it common for an A/c to go wrong? If yes, can I get a better deal outside a dealership?with the dealer its costing about $850! I am really confused! Please help.

Thanks
    get a 2nd opinion!!! if all its doing is making a noise, but it was working fine.. why would u completely change it out?? go to a local mechanic and get their opinion... plus they'll prbably fix it at less than 1/2 the cost..
  • aikido2aikido2 Member Posts: 5
    Having some issues with the car starting.
    Engine starts and run fine for about 30-45 minutes.
    Once the car gets a little warm, it starts making sputtering sounds as if it's going to cut off. Sometimes it does cut off, and sometimes it doesn't.
    One thing for sure is once you cut the car off, it will not crank back up for about an hour or two. When you turn the ignition it sounds like it wants to crank up, but it won't.It actually sounds like it's being flooded. I have spent $900 bucks taking it to a shop; yet they still cannot fix the problem.
    Anyone has any ideas what it maybe?.
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    Another Updated !!!!!!!! 33K TROUBLE FREE miles.... No brake changes... (Maxima 2 at 9k and 22K miles) NO brake rotors changes (Maxima 2...at 9K another at 22 K) NO Shock Absorber change (Maxima 3 front 1 rear in 36K) ... For the one said something about Turbos.... My Volvo is not turbo. Overprice Ford.... Its overprice Mazda too... both previously experiences with both brands still betters by a lot, my Nissan Maxima 2005 experience. Maxima looks to me to be the overpriced trouble car... ($35K vs Volvos $29K ). Honestly I still no miss my Nissan..... :)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My godmother has an 04 Maxima SE. Shes at 86k miles and the only problem she has had was her accident. Even afterwards, the Maxima is still trouble free. It still looks and drives new... Except for the clouding headlights covers.

I honestly dont believe the Maxima has that many problems as soooo many people say on the internet. In fact, I stopped believing the whole CRAPPY VW thing when the new jetta/rabbit only have 1recall and 4tsbs. My accord has about 75tsbs.

-Cj
    anyone seen the 09 maxima?? wow.. its good looking... reminds me a lil of the G35 sedan.... with nice smooth lines... i might be back as a Maxima fan!

fyi - i have a 2k maxima