Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

1232233234235236238»

Comments

• steve8539steve8539 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Just bought 2000 Intrigue. Had to get a new radiator. Still no heat. Getting 14 miles per gallon? Seems to run good and it seems fairly complicated to get to the spark plugs. Advice? Car seems possessed? Turn signals work some of the time wipers are just as moody. New to this how do I find out if there is an answer to my questions?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Sounds like a thermostat issue, you should get heat and about 20mpg town and 26 hwy or more. The plugs last over 100k, coils sit on top, so you may not need to change them if they were changed, hard to tell. I have a 00 myself and 140 and have not changed but about to.
  • bold_1bold_1 Member Posts: 31
    In 3 years on the front end of my trig ive had; ball joints, struts, hub bearings, outer tie rod ends, front motor mount, and trans mount. but no one can tell me what the ANNOYING, LOUD, CONSTANT, WOODPECKER LIKE KNOCK/TAPPING NOISE...that sounds like it could be in the dash, or something. its on the drivers side, it is constant on all forms of pavement. please help :confuse:
  • jwales19jwales19 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2010
    Intermediate steering shaft. It's a known issue, not really a problem at all, really just an annoyance, if you look back in the forum a long way (I suggest searching ) you'll see all sorts of discussions about it and directions how to fix it, all you really have to do is crawl under your dash, pull a boot back and spray in some white lithium grease (that's all the gm tech's will do to) and it goes away. Tried it my self.

It's annoyingly ackward to hold back the boot and get the grease in there in the cramped space but it's really quite simple.
    Powersteering cooling loop on low pressure return line. very difficult to replace as installed, in my opinion, I think they installed before engine was added. You can replace sections with hose however. good luck if still bothering you
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    How many miles on the car???? Had 3 Intrigues 1998,1999, and 2002; fun cars, all bought new, however not totally trouble free..The 98 was repurchased by GM at about 26k miles, mainly brake and steering issues. The 99er had some of the same issues but the 3.5 engine was a delight and only required a "crank sensor" over 75k miles..traded it on a 2002 which accumulated 120k miles by 6/30/07..

The 2002 3.5 engine received new spark plugs at 111k, an oil change every 3k, and engine coolant nor trans fluid were never changed..80% of the mileage was done on I-75 in central Florida at speeds of 75-85, no a/c issues, required a new Rh frt Hub Assy @ 98k, new battery @ 96k, new ISS @ 46k..,major alignment @ 65k requiring reslotting of all 4 struts..All work was done by local Chevy dealer, due to the fact the Caddy/Olds dealer was worthless..

Since the Olds 3.5 engine was used only in the Intrigue and Aurora, any of these cars with high mileage is a risk factor, and could be an expensive venture..The Intrigues were fun cars and had the best suspension of any W-body..

Good Luck!!!!!
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    GM parts support for these is already sketchy. Last year I needed some A/C work done which necessitated removal of the rad which in turn required trans cooler line removal. Tech had trouble, wasn't sure he could do it without ruining the line, but GM had discontinued it and none were available. Imagine many other parts are also discontinued. That was one reason why I traded it in. Liked the car but my Lacrosse shows substantial improvement in the platform.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    motorcity6, glad to see you are still around. I missed your post back in March.
    Baby due in 4 weeks. My first. Bought another SRX in February.
    Found it in Melbourne florida 22miles on it and sittiing on the lot for 18months.
    It has the Northstar. Still have the '06 GTO.
    been 11.5 years since i bought my Intigue. Hard to believe.
  • husky21husky21 Member Posts: 2
    For a while now my ac/heat display panel has been working and then it will just go dead, but recently it has not even been lit up. Its getting much cooler outside now and it is very frustrating to not have any heat on a cold day. When the panel goes dead, i am not able to turn the fans on and nothing will work. Anyone have a clue with what might fix this?
  • 99intrigue0099intrigue00 Member Posts: 15
    Pull this:

You will see this:

Remove the control unit, disconnect and you will see this:

Click here for instructions:

Follow at your own risk.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Well, after 11 years and 3 months I traded in my forest green '99 GL 3.5L last night. Got her with 6 miles on the clock and turned her in with just over 112K miles. Low oil pressure light started coming on a few months back and the engine developed a knock. I always stayed on top of my oil level since it did tend to consume/leak a quart or two between changes. She needed new shoes too, so I figured it was time to trade her in on a new car rather than put any more money into a car only worth a grand or two.

Had a few expensive repairs in her life, but if I had to do it over again I probably would. Replaced the A/C compressor, front wheel hubs, power steering hose, all four window motor regulators, and lots and lots of batteries. Other than that it was fairly problem free.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I hear Taps playing in the back ground....

another one down.
  • billcarsonbillcarson Member Posts: 23
    those close to me know that with only 52k on my odometer i might not outlive my intrigue.bestist funist car i've ever owned.now it's off to my new car,(76' corvette).ahh american cars are fun aren't they.
    edited October 2010
    Got our '00 GLS with 90k on it years ago. Replaced a '00 Maxima, this is a better car in my respects. Have over 150k on it now.

Wife drives and drives it, she says she loves it. I have not had trouble with it outside of rusted brake lines and ps lines, one bad CV boot at about 135k. New plugs about 139k, tires, brakes, and fluid changes - been very reliable. Did have a condenser get holed by rock. Added rock guard. Just did the engine mounts, I was driving it hard and think I contributed to their demise.

Just got a used Honda Odyessy '06 with 58k, think I made a mistake, I researched it but not a lot of choices for minivan. In three months:

rear motor mount, at shop now for what I think is front motor mount under last gasp warranty claim.
    rear shocks - typically need replacing about 50k
    AC transistor went out - no blower, typical apparently.
    alternator bearing noisy - same
    some noise which I think is alternator bearing, but could be power steering after I've already replaced pump, tank and fluid. Seems typical.
    power steering assist goes away in tight parking lots

100k maintenance is huge, timing belt, water pump, crank and cam seals, possible valve clearance. It also does not start usually until the second try.

Contrast with our low maintenance GM cars, and the trouble we've had, makes me wonder...

This is the Honda quality everyone is raving about?

I'm selling my Olds van after 200k. Had some issues but was a good van and got great MPG.
  • lzaranskilzaranski Member Posts: 2
  • lzaranskilzaranski Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that I am burning through A LOT of engine coolant but there isn't a leak! What could be causing this???
  • mybabygirlmybabygirl Member Posts: 3
    2001 oldsmobile intrigue.( 360000 k on car, 150000 k on motor.. ) have had the car for two years, has always had starting issues. never failed me but would crank over 8 to 10 times before actually starting. NOW, it cranks over and starts but makes a grinding noise when cold, as soon as it warms up the noise lessens but does not go away.... about a week after that started, lights started going wonky in the dash and engine started hesitating, acting as though the tranny was slipping.... could it be the starter is going or is it possibly a short somewhere because the starter is overheating.. help, i dont want to put any more money into this car if the tranny is going... ( put in over $800.00 in the last couple of weeks.)
  • bold_1bold_1 Member Posts: 31
    I am moving cross country from St. Louis to Phoenix and need my car. I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue with a 3.5 v6 with 225,000 miles. I've had it since the car had 83k. Have had no engine or transmission problems. I've had the transmission fluid changed once at about 150k? The pan was not taken off rather Valvoline did a "transfusion" through the dipstick. I've heard rumors if you haven't changed the fluid regularly then don't change it at all. The fluid is a burgundy red with bubbles on it. It's been like this for a while. I am leaning more toward having the fluid, filter and gasket changed before I go. Most recently I've replaced the water pump, Oil cover gaskets, hub bearings, control arm bushings, alternator, spark plugs, and brake pads. Sometimes the car will stall at low speeds or sputter, but I believe that is due to $500 a piece coil packs that I cant afford to replace at this time. The car starts and drives smooth every time I turn the key. The only thing I would be worried about on such a long drive is the transmission (should I change the fluid and have the pan dropped before the drive or after the drive?) Oh, and also the fuel pump needs to be replaced - it functions fine but the floater is shot giving an incorrect fuel reading but i've been dealing with that for over a year now :) any advice/recommendations from dealers, car enthusiasts, mechanics, etc is greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell this is my baby.
  • spanky2009spanky2009 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem but are not sure what part to replace, I was wandering if you could tell me wheather you change the Ignition switch or the electrical parts. Will be waiting to hear from you NEED HELP ASAP please!! My email is judylem@msn.com
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    I cannot address the transmission, except to say if the fluid looks good but it has never been changed in years, from what I read that you should NOT drop the pan and change everything... too much risk there. But as for the fuel tank level, use your trip odometer to track miles per tank, resetting it when you fill up the tank. Figure 300 miles or so a tank around town, but on highway you should get more. You'll get an idea about your MPG and set your upper limit accordingly. I always have the trip odo displayed, and when it gets into high 200's, I fill it up and reset the trip odometer. This will also keep you aware of your trigue's MPG.
  • htwired1htwired1 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I purchased my 2000 Intrigue new in June of 2000. With my GM gold card rebate and another $2500 manufacturer's rebate the initial purchase price was an exceptional value. Over the 12 years there were too many repairs such as replacing alternator, master brake modulator, and driver window motor. The the the crank shaft sensor and intermediate steering shaft were each replaced twice. Nonetheless, the Intrigue has been a reasonable experience. After 12 years I took a step up and have purchased a new 2012 Volvo T6 S60. I am hoping that the Volvo will have fewer repairs. Time will tell
  • wsr4wsr4 Member Posts: 2
    Olds intrigue used the chevy impala police heavy duty suspension to obtain the handling they were after. If you look at monroe quick strut, the front strut assembly complete with spring is the same part number as the impala police car. I was wondering if the standard chevy impala Monroe Quick strut assembly which comes complete with spring will fit the intrigue? This would give the intrigue a softer ride much like the chevy impala?
  • wsr4wsr4 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same complaint. I have a 01 from new and it rides like a truck!
    I did a little research and found the 01 Cadillac Deville uses the same front spring as the Intrigue but the strut is slightly different. However the strut has a B5 body so it should bolt right in.
    The Monroe Quick strut is easy to install. I was wondering if anybody tried this
    swap?
  • pastaguy1pastaguy1 Member Posts: 1
    The blower motor in my 99 intrigue will not come on. I have replaced the blower motor and the blower motor resistor, but the motor still won't come. Running out of ideas. Any help?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The intrigue rides hard because of its huge front sway bar which is the largest of all of the wbodys. I believe the springs are too soft.
    Keep in mind that the intrigue came out in 1998 My and the impala in 2000my.

The problem with putting a very large sway bar on a independent front or rear suspension is that the bigger the bar the less independent the suspension becomes.

I found that the intrigue handled small bumps horribly but big bumps and dips fairly well.