Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Go to Shockwarehouse.com
    Click "order" at the top
    Click "obtain quote"
    Fill out all info

They will e-mail you a quote. I did this twice and they responded in about a day.

Keep in mind they do not handle warranty for Monroe. Call Tenneco (800-879-0540) before you buy at Shockwarehouse and make sure they give a protocol for this situation.
  • Options
    14151415 Member Posts: 249
    teo::::::68 is not a pleasant temp in south Florida, because you will have a north breeze with a bunch of shivering AARPs warped in old furs.. The snow is not a fun deal anymore; but the worst of winter is over; and we shall have 40 degree weather soon with mud everywhere.. My wife is back in Florida for 10 days with the daughter and the grand terrors (children); their home has a large covered lanai and pool so by Wednesday the 80s will return; all will be happy..

bz4:::::::I think the 229 sounds about right for the size. I also think that the auto trans fluid was not cooled in the regular fashion..Air-cooled maybe???? Like the Vega engine cylinders 50/50; air and water..

My 01 Aurora is in and stickers around 38k; told them to sell it.

Never did hear from Olds on my strut; so I called the GenMgr at the dealer and told him to cancel the extended warranty policy if they don't replace the struts at N/C.. You can cancel the warranty policy within 60 days w/o penalty..

Just talked to the Pontiac dealer on the used 99 Aurora with 16k miles. Bought at a GM auction; Burgundy ext.w/Biege int. and chrome wheels.. Balance of the 50k warranty.. Priced at $19,995--fair price--good for a $750 hit. Tried to buy a Z-28 from this same dealer 5 yrs ago and he took it to the auction twice to stay away from selling it to me..

white6::::::The 3.8 powered Camaro should have a great weight distribution ratio versus the V-8 mass. Sounds like you are a serious F body fan. My first new Camaro was a 71 SS350 which I dearly loved and abused for 90+k miles. Company car, black and automatic. Great cruising car for I was 60 miles from the plant so we had a little highway time every day. Car was sold in Arizona for $1300 less than original purchase. Before the days of speedo laws.. Car was kept for 24 months.

I will try to locate a Camaro with the performance pkg#Y87 on the Chevy website at the various Detroit dealers.

I started this post 3 hrs ago; but due to other things and phone calls I has really forgot what my intent was or where I was headed!!!
  • Options
    j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    That's OK 1415, I've often heard that referred to as a "senior moment".
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Remember, the LS1 is all aluminum and weighs 80 lbs less than the LT1. I imagine that the 3800 is
    fairly close in weight to the V8.
    I think coming from the 3.5L you would not be happy with the 3800. Camaros are creaky and trucklike and lack refinement.
    if you are going to buy a camaro get the Z28. Its resale will be far greater.
    Just saw on the today show a couple of weeks ago that the camaro has one of the strongest resale values. Go figure.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    No offense, but when was the last time you drove an F-body? They have really improved dramatically in the last few years... after all, GM is killing them, so they must be about as good as they can get! Computer design aids and structural adhesives have given late-model f-body's pretty good structural integrity. The new LS1, being all-aluminum, probably is not more than 1% worse weight distribution compared to the 3800. If you take a look under the hood, you'll notice the engine is BEHIND the front wheels... basically a front-mid-engine design. And what an engine! So much fun, it should be illegal! I just don't see a down side to a car that runs mid-thirteens, gets 24+ mpg, and costs less than $23,000 brand spanking new!
  • Options
    j coleman:::::Think I should drink more water;I it might help the memory..

Sure wish I could have had a Marlboro Light with the martinis tonight.

bz4:::::::I assumed someone would bring up the alum blocked V-8s vs the cast iron 3.8..

white6::::::Went through 4 Chevy dealers nearest my zip and came up with two 3.8 Camaros equipped w/performance pkg.. Same dealer, stickered at 22,450 well equipped; roof panels and and Monsoon 500 watt blaster, no leather..

All the other 3.8 powered were equipped with the 3.42 axle(No charge) and the 235/55 R-16 tires.

dindak:::::Glad the heavy snow missed us and today was a better market day; dumped the ALTR shares; little early but had other things to do. Kept the ATML and if it pops above 13 its gone.. Then wait a day or two and these chips will slid back..
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    When I was younger, I had an 81 Cutlass w/231ci (3.8L) V6. My friend had a Monte Carlo w/229ci (3.8L) V6. Both were crap (IMO). The 307 that Olds used was a solid V8. They were know for high mileage, kind of like the 3800. I never did understand why Olds had the 307 and Chevy had the 305. Oh well, they are underpowered dinosaurs by today's standards!!

And finally, the 3.4L DOHC. I had one of these in a 95 Cutlass Convertible. It was much less refined than the 3.5L. But, considering that I did not keep the car long enough to have to do any work on the motor, I can honestly say that the 3.4L had more of a raw power feel than the 3.5L.
    I had that car going 110MPH with me (180lbs) and 3 friends (175lbs, 220 lbs, and 280lbs respectively) with the top down and a 15MPH cross wind. Needless to say, it had balls. Damn am I glad I am not that young and stupid anymore.
    I sold it 2 weeks before the timing belt broke (spendy fix).
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    My 99 Intrigue has a problem. The left windshield wiper doesn't work anymore. I think it must be stripped, because you can move it around with no resistance.

Anyone else ever see this problem? Any idea how to fix it yourself???
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Are all about being a bad [non-permissible content removed], politically incorrect, tire smoking car. And thats why I like them so much and hate to see them go. Where else can you get that kind of performance for the price? Acura? Paleez!

White6, just curious how old are you? Your married too so that probably helps your rates. I seriously doubt I could get an insurance rate like that on a Z28 or a Formula. Actually, what I'd really love is an SS. I don't even want to ask my agent what my premiums would be because he'd probably laugh. And I have a clean driving record.

1415, sounds like that Pontiac dealer is a real SOB. You should go low ball him on that 99 Aurora just to waste his time. And if he takes your offer, you got a good deal on a decent car. Seeing prices like that on low mileage 98 and 99 Auroras is making wonder whether I want to go that route or do the new Intrigue. As I've said before, the financing is key. 0.9% for 60 months and a brand new car is hard to beat so if that promo runs, the Intrigue will almost certainly be my pick. And I've decided I will go with the loaded GLS. I'm still not as hot on the chrome wheels, but I went to the Onstar website the other day and I guess it would be a neat feature to have. Being the techno kind of guy that I am when it comes to stuff like that, I'm surprised I wouldn't have wanted it sooner. And they give you a year free, however, Oldsmobiles only come with the safety and security package whereas Cadillacs come with the premium package. Thats the package that you can call Onstar and they will make hotel or dinner reservations for you. Wonder if Onstar could locate a good Martini bar.

V6, I'm still wondering what will replace the 3800 V6. The 3.5 would be a perfect fit as it has pretty good low end torque and seems to perform pretty well in larger applications(Aurora 3.5). I'd like to see the 3.5 in the base Bonneville and the Impala as well. Call me crazy, but I just don't think it will go just yet. Hell, why doesn't GM offer to sell some to Chrysler or Ford. They both could use a good medium sized DOHC V6.
  • Options
    An old buddy of mine is about to get married(play "Another One Bites the Dust") so we were sitting around drinking earlier this evening and talking cars and he mentioned that every car I have had is now(or soon to be)dropped. I have to say, I had never thought about that, but it is true. My very first car was an 83 Riviera(guess thats why I've always been fond of American luxury cars), well Rivs are no more. Next was the 89 Olds Toronado, the nameplate was banished to the cornfield in 1992. Next the Intrigue and the whole brand is now folding. So I wonder if I have some curse or something:) Maybe I should buy a Toyota or an Acura next time in hope that they too will go away.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Could you imagine the joy "Jgriff" would feel if you bought a tin can Acura?? Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

;-)
  • Options
    I'll be 42 in May, yes, I'm married, no kids, clean driving record, and I live in a rural area in Oklahoma. These all contribute to relatively low insurance rates.
    1415... I think GM got a deal on 235/55-16 Eagle GA's... they seem to be sticking these "optional" tires on all of the base f-body cars. Were the cars you referred to 5-speed or auto? I thought you had to buy the performance package to get the 3.42 with the auto... I believe it is the only gear ratio with the 5-speed. And, yes, I have had quite a few f-body cars over the years. My first car was a '69 Camaro, 350 powerglide, hugger orange with black vinyl interior. I have also had a '74 and '79 Camaro; '84 and '86 Z-28; '87 and '88 Formula Firebird. That '71 you spoke of was my dream car when I was 16... always wanted a '71 RS/Z-28. BTW, the 3.8 in the '00 Firebird is loosening up some... I might change my mind and put some money into souping it up a bit. B&B makes a cat-back system for the 3.8 Camaro/Firebird that shows a dyno-proven 13 hp and 15 lb/ft at the rear wheels. It's pricey at $589, but it's 100% T-304 stainless steel and supposedly a first-class system; not obnoxiously loud, just a nice low tone. The cat-back, along with a Jet chip and Whisper lid intake/filter should net close to 30 hp at the rear wheels... probably close to what my '88 Forumla 350 did in factory stock form. Plus I'll still pull down mid-twenties mpg, although with the chip it'll have to be premium in the tank.
  • Options
    Good idea about a Asian purchase, with your luck maybe you could put it to good use this time.

If you are crazy about a GLS, got a nice one; will even throw in the chrome wheels with the 75k warranty. You won't have to go through the pain of break-in.. It would free up some cash for the "Classic tank" or some other mistake.

My son just bought a 01 SLS-7200miles-dealer is putting STS chrome wheels on. Caddy dealer bought it at the auction, and my friend traced it from day 1 of its life. It spent the 7200 miles with a rental car company, and suffered some odd repairs which sounded like a new engine???? I haven't seen the car but it's covered by warranty and it was only 35k+tax..

His last Caddy STS went 137k and was broomed for 7500 cash..

I stay away from his car deals based on past experience. With this deal; I know all he heard was the price and its history was not important. He had to turn a Tahoe in off a lease deal and he needed a car pronto!!!! I had told him before that the SLS was a whimp car with nothing going to make it much of anything.

One of his best friends swears by them..
  • Options
    All were automatics and the lowest price was $20,680.. Tonight I will make another search to see if their are cheaper ones available..I don't need the roof panels and the big boom-box.. At 22,450 one should step up to the Z-28 and spend another 3k...I might go over to the dealer today after my lunch with one of my automotive clients in Troy, Mich..The dealer is located in Warren.
  • Options
    Obviously you have not read my previous posts about camaros. I am 38 years old and the intrigue is the first non camaro car that i have ever owned. Since '83 I have owned 5 Z28's. I currently own an '87 Iroc that i special ordered to race in IMSA SSGT racing. It has the LB9 TPI engine, 5 speed, engine oil cooler, 3.45 rearend, limited slip and 4 wheel discs. It will 0-60 in about 7 flat, fast for its time but no match for the camaros of today.
    I LOVE Camaros.
    Now i will tell you all the things wrong with them.
    Incredibly poor packaging efficieny: How can a car so long have so little interior room.
    '93 and later fbody's have better structural rigidity, but are still creaky, especially with t-tops.
    They lack refinement, they ride like trucks.
    Not enough suspension travel.
    Poorly designed dashboard, cheap materials, all black dashboard.
    Windshield is raked too far back, blocks overhead stoplights.
    Intrusive catalytic converter.
    Third gen is better looking.
    Borderline 7.5" rearend.
    I could go on, but you get my drift.
    I have driven countless fourth gens and have decided not to buy one. I do like the SS a lot, but, except for structural rigidity and power i do not think the fourth gen was a huge improvement.
    My log on name "B4z" is the RPO code for an IROCZ.
    Did i mention that i love camaros?
    However I am realistic when it comes to their shortcomings.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    This has no official source but the speculation is based on fact.

Was listening to a radio commerical for Oldsmobile this morning. They touted the 5/60 and how parts would be available for years to come (though they were careful not to mention that they were shutting down). But that's not what led me to my conclusion.

They made it a point to mention that the rebates were good until 10/2/01 and that the 5/60 was valid until 10/2/02. The only reasons to mention that the 5/60 is good until the specified date is because they won't be selling them after that date OR they'll come up with a better offering.

I doubt the latter. The commercial sounded like a furniture fire sale. This theory also jives with statements about the demise of the 3.5. It appears that the money they spent developing the 3.5 was included in the 3 billion spent to revitalize Olds. This is why I hate accounting... "so what if the company's loosing money like a tapeworm in the wallet. It's not coming out of our budget". (Give me Calc and Trig anyday instead of accounting!) So while the big picture says keep the engines (3.5 & 4.0), accounting just tacks the them up with loosing the entire division. The 4.0 could be used in Park Ave, Bonnie, Regal GS, (Imapla LS ?) and Grand Prix GTP; the 3.5 in Grand Prix SE, Impala, Regal LS, LeSabre and get rid of the 3800. Using it in these instances would surely recoup the costs of building the engines. After all, they had no problem building them for a division they almost certainly knew was going to get canned.

In any case, the best time to buy might be a 2002 model. They should be rebating like crazy just like they did on the last generation Aurora.
  • Options
    I am all for larger rebates. How does $4000 off every new intrigue. Plus .9% financing. Plus 5/60K warranty. Plus $1500 loyalty bonus.
    One can dream.
    Trying to figure out how i can get a gl with PCS.
    I guess i will have to order one, since my dealer only has two intrigue's left.
    My dealer just got a 4.0 Aurora in sapphire the other day. I had not seen this color before, it is kind of a slate grey blue color. Kind of understated if not a little bland looking.
    My main criticism of the aurora is it is not muscular enough looking. It needs to be a little more agressive.
  • Options
    I got a mailing from GM Canada with a special edition Intrigue now available here. They have a the 2001 Intrigue GL with no charge leather, PCS and heated seats for cash price of C$27098.00 (or about $17,900 US). Great deal! I paid almost that with no leather or PCS. They also have 2.9% for 36 months instead of the cash back.
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Just read in the paper here that Olds outsold Buick for feb. due to all the incentives. Serves
    Zarella right!
    And GM is "engine poor" as compared to Asian makes especially, so what will they do, they'll kill off "1 of the top ten engines" two years running (99,00).
  • Options
    Just noticed that GM will make your first lease/loan payment on your new Intrigue also. I wish I could buy another one.
  • Options
    etharmon::::::Stopped and saw the 99 Aurora w/16k miles for $19,995. Mint car has chrome wheels and a saddle interior with the burgundy ext.; window sticker was in the glove box-38k MSRP and a build date of 1/99. No turnpike pkg; so we have the touring tires, regular brakes, and speed limiter. Off lease car bought through auction..Not a nick anywhere.

Since your father has an Aurora and you are impressed with the car in general this baby is clean and quiet. I started the car; didn't drive it, but was a smooth engine. Got back in the Intrigue and what a racket maker!!!!

white6:::::never had time to chase down the Camaros.

one2one::::::::thanks for the advice on the struts; however it is odd that pricing over the website is available for the KYBs and not the Monroes.. This electronic world is confusing to us old guys.
  • Options
    Talked to a friend the other night who has used car business in Iowa. He sells mostly newer cars and trucks, and buys a lot at auctions.
    He has had bad luck with auroras. His son bought a chery '95 a few years ago that had multiple leaks. He said they had to pull the engine every time just to fix these leaks. He put $1800 into it, then sold it a few months later. Never again he said. He doesn't even buy them for resale if he can help it.
  • Options
    Big incentives on Intrigues, but it's because the build quality will most likely suffer before its death. I'm sure the labor on the line in Fairfax doesn't care much about the quality of their work at this point. I guess it will keep the dealers busy for a while though with the 5/60 warranty. Not sure if I would feel "comfortable" buying an Oldsmobile right now.
  • Options
    Do you know if the first payment deal is only available in canada? I didn't see anything in the oldsmobile website about it?
  • Options
    There is a black '98 intrigue here in charleston that has badging on it that i have never seen before.
    There is an intrigue badge on both front fenders above the body side moulding.
    The headrests have the large oldsmobile badge sewn into them in black or dark brown.
    Has anybody seen this vehicle before?
    Maybe it is a regional special edition or a dealer optioned car?
    Any ideas?
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I know you can get aftermarket leather interiors with car manufacturer logos in the headrests, but I have never seen Intrigue badges on the side fenders before, just the regular bronze looking ones.
  • Options
    Understood... I certainly didn't mean to overstate my position. I guess I was really talking bang per buck on the F-cars; yes, they are small on the inside (though my 6-3" frame seems to fit perfectly... you know the old saying, "the problem with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket."), kinda large on the outside (noticed my '00 Firebird casts about the same shadow as my '99 Intrigue), and the interior materials are not the highest quality (though about average for GM). Compared to my '88 Formula 350, this car feels as solid as a Mercedes! And I paid $17,000 out-the-door for a brand new one! I took a ride this afternoon with a client of mine in his new Porsche Boxter... fun little car, nice punch, but the ride was significantly worse than the 'bird... he paid $39,000; obviously a more successful businessman than I. I would still love to grab a '01 BMW 325Ci/5-speed/Sport Package...
    1415... hold out for the Z-28. What makes these cars really worth having is that 310-hp LS1... last of the breed.
  • Options
    bz4::::::The Northstar came out of the closet in 94 and Olds came out in 95. Both engines had a few leaks; both oil and water...Both Caddies and Olds.. I have been reading about the Auroras lately; and I am getting turned off with everything the Olds div. makes, both in the past and what is left of the future. One of the serious features with the Aurora is that there has never been enough made to find out what is failing!!! The volume is too low for it takes forever to engineer and change a part or to improve a part.. Any existing float of parts have been bought and they will be installed whether or not they are any good. The 99s are as good as it will ever get for an Aurora..Without an experienced dealer left to deal with the Aurora/Intrigue problems and the worst thing is GM will turn their back on the situation for they aren't going to spend the money to correct a damn thing. They will offer additional trade-in bonus or relief to get you out of the car but nothing to help you to keep your car running..TSBs will disappear when the production stops. If it breaks we will fix it; but don't look for any help to prevent a problem..

Owning an Olds will be how an Edsel owner felt when Henry dumped the thing.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad; your client is probably leasing it. At 39K he got the the entry-level Porsche. I can remember the 58/59 Porsche Speedster was selling new for $2250 at factory pickup.

The Z is still in the picture and Olds is dead for any of my future business.. I have fought two Intrigues and at my age that's enough grief for anybody..

If you Intrigue owners think the next one will be any better; think again!!!! Used Intrigues are giveaways which indicates "Poor Value"!!!!! Go buy a GTP or a GS Regal.. GM is trying to mess with your mind with the warranty and rebate blitz. They aren't improving a damn thing.
  • Options
    Hope i didn't come on to strong, but I have had a long & varied history with the fbody and judging from your post of several days ago you have owned more fbodies than i have.
    I am 6'8" and the camaro is one of the few sporty cars that i can fit into. I am all legs, so headroom is usually not a problem. I just angle the back of the seat a little more.
    The fourth gen is problematical for me. The windshield is raked back about 6 degrees more than the third gen. This puts the windshield header into my forehead. It would be impossible for me to see an overhead stoplight. Also the rearview mirror is actually blocking my forward vision.
    To remedy this i would have to by a t-top version and look up through the tops to see overhead stoplights. Don't laugh, it works. The rearview mirror would have to be removed. Since the whole point in buying a fourth gen is for the improved structure, t-tops would defeat the purpose. Yes, I could get subframe connectors, but it is too much trouble. I think removing the rearview mirror is illegal in most states.
    So what do i do? If i were a few years younger and less socially responsible I would put up with it, and buy the car.
    The problem is, that people at work tease me about my bright blue baby enough as it is. If i showed up in Navy blue SS I would really be the butt of jokes, and my broker would probably fire me.
    By the way, this socially responsible realtor laid 20 feet of rubber at a stoplight today and four feet on the 1-2 shift. Hope nobody saw me.
    Maybe it is for the best that i don't buy another Z28. I would probably lose my license.
    1415, are you listening?
  • Options
    First payment may be a Canada only thing. I have not seen it in the U.S. at all. Nice little extra to sweeten the already great deal.
  • Options
    Well, I have had my 2000 Intrigue GL for one year now. It's got about 28K on the odometer and here is what my experiences are.

Engine (3.5 is a great power plant, passing power is wicked!)
    Ride (a great balance between firm and smooth)
    Brakes (ABS/disc package best I've ever had)
    Feature packed for price range
    Looks - still the best mid-size sedan out there
    Very good over all quality

Dislikes :
    Cheap buttons on the radio
    Trunk release is in a bad spot
    Low end power could be better
    Cruise on/off switch should be on the wheel (like the Alero)
    Fit and finish should be a bit better

Problems I've had :
    Trunk release didn't work from day one - replaced under warranty
    Temperature gauge would rise and fall for no reason - replaced thermostat under warranty

Over all, I really like my Intrigue a lot. It's not perfect but if I had to buy a mid-size sedan again today, Intrigue would still be my first choice. Maxima is still my second choice. I still love to look at my car outside, even a year later. It's one of the sharpest cars on the road in my opinion.

I am very sad to see GM discontinue both Intrigue and Oldsmobile and I don't know where I will go in 5-6 years when I need a new sedan. Hopefully Saturn will come up with something better than the LS and/or Buick will fix up the Regal a bit. We shall see.

In the mean time, I shall continue to enjoy my first and last new Oldsmobile.
  • Options
    wuxwux Member Posts: 18
    $17,900 is a great deal even without leather and PCS (MSRP of a base GL is $24,150+$610 destination Fee here). Can one get such a deal in US? I will certainly buy one at this price.
  • Options
    Trouble is, I like both the Aurora and the Intrigue. I really can't swing a new Aurora right now, but seeing low mileage 98s and 99s at such a good price is very tempting. I've always thought of them as a poor man's Cadillac. And the 95-99 version is very sharp, especially in dark colors. As for service, take it to a Cadillac dealer as the Aurora has more in common with Cadillacs than other Oldsmobiles. But, the idea of a brand new car with an excellent warranty and finance deal is also tempting and as I said before, the financing will be the kicker. Right now, 3.9 is the lowest you can get for 60 months. If they run 0.9 for 60 months though and I can get an Intrigue for 1% over invoice then take the $1500 loyalty rebate, its a done deal. Otherwise, I might just hang on to the certificate as it's good until the end of 2005 and buy a low mileage 98 or 99 Aurora. Decisions and decisions. I will agree with you that the Aurora is quieter. As for that Aurora you mentioned, if I could get them to throw in a GMPP to 75K, I'd be calling my bank about used auto loan rates. Did it have the Bose sound system?

jcoleman, just remember those guys at Fairfax also build the Grand Prix and from what I hear, a new SUV or something is going to be built there. So it's not like they are in line to lose their jobs.

b4z, I remember when the Z28 was the IROC-Z. I still have a full line Chevy brochure from 1990 which has it. As impracticle as the F-bodies are, they are hard to beat for performance. And the fact that they are not "socially responsible" makes me want one more. I actually saw a Honda Insight on the road. BUTT UGLY!!! My question is why do these "green" cars have to be so ugly. The GM EV1, Toyota Prius, and Honda Insight are the ugly of the ugliest. I'd love to pull up next to one of those in a Camaro SS and just let her rip when the light turns green. Okay, so I'm still longing for my teenage years:) Whats sad is time is running out on cars like the Camaro. And I've been reading reports that the next generation Mundane, I mean Mustang will have the smaller 3.9 liter V8 from the Lincoln LS. And the F-bodies no longer a threat, why would Ford put forth the effort to make the stang any faster. Sadly, as much as I'd like to have an F-body, the insurance would probably kill me. 310 hp and a 6 speed manual for around $24K sure is a bargain though.

dindak, good report. You must really do alot of driving. Glad you are enjoying your Intrigue.
  • Options
    I assume the 28K is kilometers; not miles, so let's say about 16,800 miles????

Do you have a 36mo lease????
  • Options
    Is there a web site where I can find more info on getting aftermarket interiors and logos? My next Intrigue I want to "hook up" because I plan to keep it a long time. Perhaps 20 years from now I think I might want to enter it in a show. After all, it will be a collector's item despite its problems. Only made for 5 years and the only one (save Aurora) with the 3.5.
  • Options
    After reading a few posts on some Aurora experiences; my decision is to avoid the complex structure of this low-volume car which is a prime candidate for costly repairs.

The function of a car is driveabilty and reliability; somehow the Olds family is amiss in providing the basics.

While at the Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership yesterday there were 4 Intrigues in the front row of the used car lot. They can't keep used GTs or GTPs on the lot so they go to the GM auction and buy up Intrigues. I have bought three new cars from these people over the yrs and they don't really deal on used cars..

I don't remember what stereo system the 99 Aurora had; but I got Auroras off my want list..

Just putting up with a Cadillac is enough stress without two V-8s in the garage to nurse..If you get a Northstar that doesn't leak oil or fluids you had better keep it because the next one may be the troublemaker..

The 250hp V-8 isn't big enough to keep around and it sounds like the 3.5 is too large dimensionally to keep; so its off to the trash bin..

The Bonneville isn't setting any sales records since I assume the space ship appearance isn't helping along with the pricey tag.

I am going to let you young folks figure out the car world for I am going to narrow in on the Intrigue in my garage with fix or no fix as the only question. Dollar-wise; it's a loser, so the rest of the useage is almost free from here on to wherever..
  • Options
    1415 : Ya sorry, I should have specified kms. Car was purchased, only 4 more years till it's paid off.. Uggg!

wux : I have heard of Americans buying new cars in Canada, but I'm not sure if you will find a GM dealer to sell to you here. I think they can get in trouble for doing so. The MSRP on my Intrigue GL was around $31,000 CDN (about $21K US). Canadian prices tend to be a little lower than US prices on a straight exchange rate basis. I think they keep the prices a little lower because we pay more tax here (15% sales tax on a new car).
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I haven't seen much in the way of aftermarket interior products for the Intrigue, but the two companies that make interior products for most cars I know of are

Classic Soft Trim

and

Katzkin
  • Options
    I feel for you dindak. I have only 16 payments left on my '99 GL. (23K miles on the odometer)
  • Options
    ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    OnetoOne...The deadlines on the 5/60 warranty and special financing are meaningless. They were just extended after being set to expire on May 1, 2001 and April 15, 2001. Although, I really wouldn't expect sales to continue much beyond '02, especially on Intrigue.

I played hooky yesterday and went to the Minneapolis auto show. IMO, GM should just pull the plug on the whole operation. What a bunch of @#%*! Impala, GP, Regal, Malibu, LS, et al all suck for one reason or another. I looked a the new Buick Rendezvous and couldn't believe how cheap the plastic looked. Also, the number of poorly fit interior and exterior pieces was bad too. The Avalanche is another example of GM trying to hard to be different. If they would make this truck with the same look as the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, they'd have a winner.

The new Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada weren't bad, but what's the point when the frame and front end look lower to the ground that some minivans (same thing with the new Explorer)? Materials overall were pretty good except for the glovebox, which is the same hard plastic used on the previous dashboard facia.

Over at the Olds display, traffic was pretty slow. Most people seemed to be discussing how much longer til the end. There were a couple of lonely Intrigues over in a corner. There was also an OSV Alero. The talking-head suggested that the car may be in dealerships near you in the future. Didn't he get the memo?

I also noted that Honda's seem to be getting more boring. The Civic could cause traffic accidents from drivers that fall asleep at the wheel. The Accord is O.K. from an appliance standpoint. Also not really impressed by Mr. Jriff's Acura TL (too small, same materials as the Accord).

What did I like you ask? Intrigues of course. Also, the Passat has the best materials and construction available in this segment (although the cloth seats grab your clothes like velcro). I'm average height,so rear seat space behind me isn't an issue. Lincoln LS is excellent and the Maxima has always been a favorite of mine. The option packages on the Max are a mess trying to get the car you want however.
  • Options
    Why the bitter post ickes??

While I agree with you that none of the GM sedans are as nice as the Intrigue, I disagree with you on many of your points. The Rendezvous was very impressive. These vehicles they have on the show circuit are pre-production units, so obviously the fit and finish will be a bit off. Trailblazer/Bravada and Envoy were also very impressive. GM also had some of the cool vehicles coming like the Pontiac Vibe, Pontiac Rev and Saturn Vue. I thought they had the best display I've seen in years.
  • Options
    I feel what you're saying. But GM's behavior is not logical if thought of any other way.

It's true, they did decide to extend the warranty because it initially was only a couple of months. But what is out of character is telling the public that the 5/60 ends on 10/2/02.

Car manufacturers NEVER talk about ANYTHING into the next model year so early in the current model year. They don't even tell you what changes will be on the next year's model. The reason is because it will impact sales of the current model. The fact that GM has told us that they will be ending the extended warranty so far in advance, at the minimum, gives room for speculation.

For now it just gives us some friendly debate. Only time will tell us what GM execs are talking about in their staff meetings.
  • Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Member Posts: 1
    I had my Intrigue in for service today for several problem including very leakly door vapor barriers. When I drive with the rear window(s) or the sunroof cracked open, copious amounts of outside air flow from the door handles and window switch area.
    I'm not just saying that a little air comes in, but you can feel it 5-6 inches away as a breeze. BTW you can feel a little outside air entering from this area with the windows/sunroof closed too.

I was told today be the Oldsmobile dealer that the Intrigue does not have any true barrier in the doors to prevent wind inflow such as this. Is this true?

Other autos I have owned never had an air leakage problem as bad as this. I own a 89 Camry and tried the same test on it and little air could be felt from the door area.

Any comments (beside wearing gloves when I rest my hands on the doors armrest)?

-Cj
  • Options
    courtneyj:::::The service manager at my dealer made a comment on the door construction of the Intrigues. I think keeping a pair of gloves to fight the cold is advisable; and ear plugs to save your hearing..

Having owned 2 Intrigues I will admit and confess the doors are pure junk!!!!!!!

You do not have a "one of kind"; all Intrigues are airy, noisy, and fun to drive...
  • Options
    "doors are pure junk!!!!!!!"

Yer funny.

Intrigue aren't the quietest, but they are average in the noise dept. Want quiet, buy an Aurora.
  • Options
    Dou you guys' backdoor hinges move a lot or is just mine? Is this a design flaw or is a tightening in order?
  • Options
    Its only 8:30am and the futures are already down 53 pts.. Intel is leading the pack to the cellar. The chips will get hacked again--will buy more ATML average down and get back into ALTR..

I need a good day; so I can buy another "Merry Oldsmobile" which offers more writeoff than my CPA allows me to take.
  • Options
    Those are a little undersized so please don't abuse or else the door could fall off.. I had an engineer that produces doors for GM make a similiar comment. He has an Aurora 99 with almost 50k-2yr lease.. Loves the car and beats it up..

Don't use the back doors unless its an emergency..

If you really want to impress your real estate clients I know where you can pick up a new loaded 4.0 Aurora for around 32k including the 6% sales tax. Diamond white, sunroof, chrome wheels, and gold lettering..

You have a leased 98 Intrigue????? You could probably buy it outright for 9500.