Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• lee18lee18 Posts: 45
    The 3.5L has separate crankshaft and camshaft sensors.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    etharmon ::: the point has been that for $22-30k car, there are far too many repeating problems. Some people are having go back and visit Mr. Goodwrench on regularly basis. After a while some people would relish a very boring ride, rather than having to deal with the repairs. OK so you and Dindak and a few others own a few of the well constructed Intrigue, what percentage of the bunch is that ?

htwired ::: Come on, comparing a 50k car to a 25-30 Intrigue. I could easily name several cars that will run 1-2 seconds faster than the Intrigue, and within a couple of grand, and without all the REPAIR headaches.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Consumer's research and others show that Intrigue has AVERAGE reliability. What part of that do you not understand? Perhaps mine is better than many, but I also waited for a couple of years till the bugs were out. Could not be happier with my car.

How's the Honda bud?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Dropped off my bronze beauty rattletrap at the dealer this morning to get those 9 items on my list repaired.
    They just got in 35 Devilles, Sevilles, Escalades, an Aurora and a alero. I asked the Gm as he was taking off the manufacturer plates and prepping them if they were a fleet purchase.
    He said that all of them were going to the "Hootie and the Blowfish after the Masters charity golf tournament" on Kiawah Island.
    After they are used on Kiawah they will go down to Hilton Head for the "Heritage" golf tournament.
    So, if you see a bunch of Caddys and Olds's on TV with "Miller Cadillac Oldsmobile" on them you know where they came from.
    He also said he was getting in 5 bravadas and another Intrigue GL in Ruby.
  • vezinivezini Posts: 38
    I took my 99 Intrigue in about six months ago for a very small coolant leak. I actually did not spot the leak as no coolant was on the floor of my garage. It was noticed by a friendly mechanic who was changing the oil. I took it to the dealer and he said that the clamp was not tight; and then they tightened the clamp (3.5 motor). I would appreciate any comments on this; should I really be concerned?
  • redly_oneredly_one Posts: 122
    Thanks for the info, vezini. I will check that

found this pre-december fortune telling about GM's plans for the next 4 years @ http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/gmfutureproduct814.htm

Intrigue: The Intrigue sedan will be freshened for the 2001 model year.

If approved, it likely will move to a stretched version of the Epsilon platform for the 2004 model year. The new car will take several features from the Profile concept vehicle, including a possible hatchback.

DOH, that would have been very interesting...Oh well

• htwiredhtwired Posts: 62
    Maybe my post wasn't clear, so let me try again. In my humble opinion the BMW 5 series is an outstanding car. But if you compare the purchase price of a BMW 530i with that of an Oldsmobile Intrigue, the Intrigue is a far better value. If you read the posts at the Edmund's BMW 5 sereis board, even BMW has it share of problems. As a side note an M6 came on the market locally. This car sold in 1987 for just under $60k; it is my dream car. Nonetheless after a test drive I have deceided to wait for the series 2 M6 due out in 2004. Why because what was an exceptional automobile in 1987 is not that much superior to the Intrigue. The M6 3.5l in line six puts out 256 hp and 243 lb ft of torque, the getrag 5 speed is like silk, and running the engine to 6900 rpm redline is a gas, but honestly this 12 yr old car although in the past was at the top of the food chain in most respects is no more or better than the Intrigue. Fortunately I got out of the market before it got nasty. Hopefully the series 2 M6 will be available for U.S. cosumption.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Posts: 143
    I may have to check out the 2003 Grand Prix since I won't be buying my wife an Olds in the next 1 to 2 years. Anyone know what engines will be offered in the redesigned Grand Prix?
    I have been following the 2003 Grand Prix story and there is no word yet on engines. I really hope they offer a DOHC engine as an option at least. If they don't, they will loose a lot more current Intrigue drivers to imports down the road.
  • mkcomkco Posts: 65
    I don't know why you guys are so hung up on DOHC. I replaced my '98 Intrigue with an '01 Grand Prix GTP in part so I could STAY with the 3800 engine. Of course, this one has a supercharger so it kicks serious butt, including all those so-called "refined" DOHC engines. Remember "sophisticated" is as sophisticated DOES, and the 3800 does quite nicely, thank you. (No oil leaks either!)
    mkco: I'm not hung up on DOHC. It doesn't matter that much to me if it's OHV or DOHC or whatever else. I actually had a choice since I bought my Intrigue in mid '99 when there were still some 3800 models around. I just wanted the "new" engine, pretty much because of that reason - it was new. Plus the 3.5 offers the "limp home" mode where it can run without coolant and it also offered the full-function traction control, and the 3800 Intrigue did not. Also it had more horsepower (and torque, I believe) than the 3800.
    I am admittedly hung up on DOHC. I am a ohcaholic.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    jgriff- yup, lots of complaints about the car in this forum, more than good stuff, but consider too that fewer who love the car or even like it and are satisfied will post as compared to those tiked off or unsatisfied. Sad but true. Your then using this as a barometer of how bad folks have had it, and how few are happy, is baseless.

mkco-dohc, yup the SC 3800 is great, but having heard several, they sound awful, esp. the blatty exaust. Sounds like a damn School Bus. Fast of course, but i recently took one after
    60-70mph in my 3.5 vs. a GTP. Top end, a dohc strong point always, even over sohc (3.5 300 M engine for example), is the reason. As for leaks, few 3.5's have had problems and 3800's have also had some leaks per forum discussions.
    I have no problem with the 3800. Tried, tested and true. Problem is I have fallen for another engine. The 3.5L is just a bit smoother. and the highway passing is superb. I guess I'm hooked also.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Ordered one for the Intrigue today for the rear tower from the dealership. The GM pn is 12456148. Was ~$22 cdn. Now that I have decent handling tires on the car hopefully it will make a bit of difference. Will get the front bar at a later date, probably spend a bit more for one that I don't have to drill holes for.

Will post here when I install it as to how difficult it is (heard I will have to ream out the holes), and what difference it makes.
  • mkcomkco Posts: 65
    I believe the Betty Ford clinic has a treatment program for that. Or, is it the Edsel ford clinic?
    I thought it was the A.J. Foyt clinic for anger management and high rpm anxiety.
    The DOHC Ward takes care of those who are injected with 4 valve fever.
    Took the intrigue in tuesday for repairs. Called them this afternoon and they said it would be ready Thurs.

They ordered a strut bracket or something. I am thinking that the chances of this helping the noises are about 0.
    Has anybody had a strut bracket thingee replaced yet?

1415 said they will rebuild my suspension piece by piece so i guess i will sit back and go with the flow.

They didn't tell me about the other 7 things on my list so i will prepare myself for multiple NPF's.

New bravada is on the lot. Truly one of the best looking SUV's on the road. THis one was well put together with flawless paint and panel fit. Trim pieces were nice. Rubber door gaskets are visible in the door gaps but i think this is intentional.

Interior is quite nice with perforated leather seats. Would like a little more rear seat leg room though.

I have been spoiled driving my intrigue with its incredible visibility. The bravada's rear visibility is not great.

This is a terrific effort by oldsmobile. They are building the best looking GM cars and SUV's.

My salesman says he can get my out of my lease. Remaining lease payments will eat up the $2000 rebate and the $1500 Olds loyalty bonus. Iwill get the car for a little over invoice.

If olds would offer a $2000 rebate on the 2002 bravada i would probably do that.

I am thinking i will be 6000 miles past my mileage allowance next March, which will cost me $1200. I will also have to buy new tires which will cost $400. For a total of $1600 before i turn it in.

Should i wait till next year or buy in the next couple of months?
    If i buy a olds this year and use my loyalty bonus, will i get another loyalty bonus for this years purchase?
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    After driving several loaner Intrigues with the 3.5 as well as my father's Aurora, I'm becoming a DOHC fan myself. The 3800 V6 is a darn good engine and with the supercharger, it's more powerful than some V8s. But the 3.5 is smoother at idle(doesn't have that slight shudder like the 3.8 does) and sounds wonderful at full throttle. Abnd just imagine what a supercharger would do to this engine. Either engine is very good, but I give the nod to the 3.5 for it's extra refinement and smooth power delivery.
  • limadeltalimadelta Posts: 49
    The new' alternator fix for my 3.5 is not working. The flicker is still there and I finally found out why. The alternator that was supposed to correct the problem was released from production prematurely.

According to GM, the alternator fix didn't work because of their not checking the released parts before they were released. Is this sounding like Rossarian in Catch 22??

I am now on the list for the really, really, honest-to-gosh, FINAL version of the alternator. The bizarre thing here is that the final GM part number for the alternator is the same as the part number for the one that was replaced a month ago.

I've seen posts here from the 3800 engine owners saying that they don't have this problem. They wouldn't have this problem because this is a 3.5 engine malady, and not something 3800's would see.

I'll let you know about the fix when it is fixed.
    Aloha from Social
  • timmyvtimmyv Posts: 7
    OK, I waited 14 months for GM to offer a fix to the Intrigue flickering headlights. 14 months and 24K miles! Driving home last night the headlights flickered for a good 5 miles! Well, I'm so glad I waited!!!!

Back to the dealer tomorrow. You know what they'll say too, "Well, what would you like us to do about that?"

FIX THE DAMN CAR!

And all the customer service center has to say about it is "WE UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION."

While I'd like to believe they really feel bad for me about the number of times my Intrigue has been in for service, so far I'm just not buying it.

I think it is time for a new car.

Oh wait, the trade in values really suck these days, don't they! I can't imagine why!
    Have you had other problems or is it just the flicker?

Flicker can be fixed, but wait till the dealer gets the correct alternator. There is a service bulliten for this. Dealer should know that. If not... bad dealership.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Hmm GM released a second alternator prematurely that didn't fix the problem? What geniuses. The 3.5L has been out a long time.
    limadelta: I've got a 3.5 Intrigue with 24K miles, and I haven't noticed any flickering at all. The only problem I have now is a rough/long start occasionally (mostly when the engine is warm). Maybe they changed parts after mine was built in May '99.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The 3800 V6 has a reliability advantage over the 3.5L DOHC V6. Last saturday, I had the opportunity to drive a 2001 Intrigue GL with the 3.5L during GM's Autoshow In Motion event. The engine is smoother but it lacks the low end punch of the 3800. The car itself displayed good handling behavior, however I must be honest, I was not overly impressed by the rest of the car. Interior space is just adequate, interior component assembly quality is not what you would expect on a Nissan Maxima import fighter....the exterior looks are nice from the rear and side but I just don't like the Saturn inspired front end. Interestingly, most people on the waiting lines were not very excited about the looks of the Intrigue. The Intrigue was in the family car test track section along with:

* Chevy Impala LS
    * Honda Accord EX
    * Toyota Camry LE
    * New Volkswagen Passat
    * Buick Century
    * Buick Park Avenue
    * Olds Alero
    * Pontiac Grand AM GT sedan
    * Ford Taurus LX
    * Chevy Malibu LS
    * Olds Aurora 3.5
    * Nissan Maxima SE

Of all these cars, the show accomodators had to basically *beg* people in that section to test drive the following cars: (Were parked in a corner the most often):

* Olds Intrigue
    * Olds Alero
    * Chevy Malibu LS
    * Ford Taurus LX
    * Toyota Camry LE
    * Buick Century

The rest of the cars had long waiting lines and they never seemed to stop to take a *break*. The Impala LS generated an incredible amount of interest, same as the Pontiac Grand AM GT, Buick Park Avenue, The Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima and the Volkswagen Passat.

Personally cars that I enjoyed the most on that section of the test track were the Buick Park Avenue, The olds Aurora, the Grand AM GT, the Impala LS, the Olds Alero, The Passat and the Maxima.

What's really neat about these test drive events is that you can really take a *pulse* of the market and what people likes/dislikes on an open and completely free environment.

I won't go into the nasty comments generated by the Pontiac Aztek over at the SUV test track area....let me just say that this truck was parked, abandoned most of the time by the public participants and most people hated it due to its bizarre looks.

I drove its sibling, the Buick Rendezvous and it is light years away in styling (In and out) and the car just looks and feels much nicer than the Aztek. I suspect that between the Rendezvous and the upcoming Pontiac Vibe, the Aztek will be soon out of production.
  • 71ss71ss Posts: 39
    Is the strut bracket another name for the strut bearing?????? Does the front end need realignment after the replacement?????

Intrigues interest me and thinking about getting a 2002; for the end of the model run should be 100% perfect!!!

I notice this board has some Aurora fans; the 99 Auroras on the auction deals are selling about $3,000 less than a used 01 4.0 under 10k miles..

3.5 Auroras are bringing about 21K, 4.0s about 24.5k and the old classic 99 around 21k..
  • lee18lee18 Posts: 45
    timmyv:: Does your state have a lemon law? Headlight problems should be classed as a safety issue and it sounds like you've been to the service dept. enough times to qualify.

I had a choice of the 3800 or 3.5 engine when I bought my 99 and I chose the 3800 because:

a) I needed the low end torque it provided and...

b) I would not buy a first year engine any more than I would buy a first year car model. In fact I would wait even more than one year on the engine because expensive problems like premature cam wear, bearing and gasket failures etc. don't usually show up right away. After hearing about the alternator problem I'm especially glad I got the 3800.
  • tcjeff1tcjeff1 Posts: 4
    Need suggestions for replacement tires on my '99 Intrigue - what has worked well for you?
    Thanks...
  • 71ss71ss Posts: 39
    Drop the 3.5 engine----pronto--and go back to the 3.8 std and upgrade to 3.8 supercharge!!!! Since the volume drop has coincided with the intro of the 3.5; why put up with the drastic sales drop..

Put a high flow exhaust system on, and speed-rated tires; limit the top end to 130 mph. Get back to the 2 valve setup and it's good alternator..