Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    The new' alternator fix for my 3.5 is not working. The flicker is still there and I finally found out why. The alternator that was supposed to correct the problem was released from production prematurely.

According to GM, the alternator fix didn't work because of their not checking the released parts before they were released. Is this sounding like Rossarian in Catch 22??

I am now on the list for the really, really, honest-to-gosh, FINAL version of the alternator. The bizarre thing here is that the final GM part number for the alternator is the same as the part number for the one that was replaced a month ago.

I've seen posts here from the 3800 engine owners saying that they don't have this problem. They wouldn't have this problem because this is a 3.5 engine malady, and not something 3800's would see.

I'll let you know about the fix when it is fixed.
    Aloha from Social
  • timmyvtimmyv Member Posts: 7
    OK, I waited 14 months for GM to offer a fix to the Intrigue flickering headlights. 14 months and 24K miles! Driving home last night the headlights flickered for a good 5 miles! Well, I'm so glad I waited!!!!

Back to the dealer tomorrow. You know what they'll say too, "Well, what would you like us to do about that?"

FIX THE DAMN CAR!

And all the customer service center has to say about it is "WE UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION."

While I'd like to believe they really feel bad for me about the number of times my Intrigue has been in for service, so far I'm just not buying it.

I think it is time for a new car.

Oh wait, the trade in values really suck these days, don't they! I can't imagine why!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Have you had other problems or is it just the flicker?

Flicker can be fixed, but wait till the dealer gets the correct alternator. There is a service bulliten for this. Dealer should know that. If not... bad dealership.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Hmm GM released a second alternator prematurely that didn't fix the problem? What geniuses. The 3.5L has been out a long time.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    limadelta: I've got a 3.5 Intrigue with 24K miles, and I haven't noticed any flickering at all. The only problem I have now is a rough/long start occasionally (mostly when the engine is warm). Maybe they changed parts after mine was built in May '99.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 3800 V6 has a reliability advantage over the 3.5L DOHC V6. Last saturday, I had the opportunity to drive a 2001 Intrigue GL with the 3.5L during GM's Autoshow In Motion event. The engine is smoother but it lacks the low end punch of the 3800. The car itself displayed good handling behavior, however I must be honest, I was not overly impressed by the rest of the car. Interior space is just adequate, interior component assembly quality is not what you would expect on a Nissan Maxima import fighter....the exterior looks are nice from the rear and side but I just don't like the Saturn inspired front end. Interestingly, most people on the waiting lines were not very excited about the looks of the Intrigue. The Intrigue was in the family car test track section along with:

* Chevy Impala LS
    * Honda Accord EX
    * Toyota Camry LE
    * New Volkswagen Passat
    * Buick Century
    * Buick Park Avenue
    * Olds Alero
    * Pontiac Grand AM GT sedan
    * Ford Taurus LX
    * Chevy Malibu LS
    * Olds Aurora 3.5
    * Nissan Maxima SE

Of all these cars, the show accomodators had to basically *beg* people in that section to test drive the following cars: (Were parked in a corner the most often):

* Olds Intrigue
    * Olds Alero
    * Chevy Malibu LS
    * Ford Taurus LX
    * Toyota Camry LE
    * Buick Century

The rest of the cars had long waiting lines and they never seemed to stop to take a *break*. The Impala LS generated an incredible amount of interest, same as the Pontiac Grand AM GT, Buick Park Avenue, The Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima and the Volkswagen Passat.

Personally cars that I enjoyed the most on that section of the test track were the Buick Park Avenue, The olds Aurora, the Grand AM GT, the Impala LS, the Olds Alero, The Passat and the Maxima.

What's really neat about these test drive events is that you can really take a *pulse* of the market and what people likes/dislikes on an open and completely free environment.

I won't go into the nasty comments generated by the Pontiac Aztek over at the SUV test track area....let me just say that this truck was parked, abandoned most of the time by the public participants and most people hated it due to its bizarre looks.

I drove its sibling, the Buick Rendezvous and it is light years away in styling (In and out) and the car just looks and feels much nicer than the Aztek. I suspect that between the Rendezvous and the upcoming Pontiac Vibe, the Aztek will be soon out of production.
  • 71ss71ss Member Posts: 39
    Is the strut bracket another name for the strut bearing?????? Does the front end need realignment after the replacement?????

Intrigues interest me and thinking about getting a 2002; for the end of the model run should be 100% perfect!!!

I notice this board has some Aurora fans; the 99 Auroras on the auction deals are selling about $3,000 less than a used 01 4.0 under 10k miles..

3.5 Auroras are bringing about 21K, 4.0s about 24.5k and the old classic 99 around 21k..
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    timmyv:: Does your state have a lemon law? Headlight problems should be classed as a safety issue and it sounds like you've been to the service dept. enough times to qualify.

I had a choice of the 3800 or 3.5 engine when I bought my 99 and I chose the 3800 because:

a) I needed the low end torque it provided and...

b) I would not buy a first year engine any more than I would buy a first year car model. In fact I would wait even more than one year on the engine because expensive problems like premature cam wear, bearing and gasket failures etc. don't usually show up right away. After hearing about the alternator problem I'm especially glad I got the 3800.
  • tcjeff1tcjeff1 Member Posts: 4
    Need suggestions for replacement tires on my '99 Intrigue - what has worked well for you?
    Thanks...
    Drop the 3.5 engine----pronto--and go back to the 3.8 std and upgrade to 3.8 supercharge!!!! Since the volume drop has coincided with the intro of the 3.5; why put up with the drastic sales drop..

Put a high flow exhaust system on, and speed-rated tires; limit the top end to 130 mph. Get back to the 2 valve setup and it's good alternator..
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I will never go back to pushrods in a sedan. Maybe in a truck or camaro. The 3.5L is just a smoother more powerful engine. It's passing power is unbelievable.
    Is a good motor, but some complaints related to High Oil consumption, oil leaks and bad alternators just make me wonder about the REAL reasons why GM has decided to pull the plug from this powerplant and move on with a more efficient design.

For everyday driving, I take the 3800 V6 over the 3500 V6. Low end torque is essential for our style of driving. The day the government decides to raise the speed limits to 100MPH or remove them altogether, then a high wind DOHC should make much more sense.

Low end torque always wins.
    teo: Great report on your test drives. I'm kind of surprised the Intrigue was not generating much interest. People who don't know much about my car always seem very interested in it and how it handles etc. Perhaps the demise of Oldsmobile has something to do with it. As for the Aztek, it's in the middle of a 2002 refresh. Production was stopped 2 weeks ago.

lee18: I'll take highway passing over low end torque any day. That's just me though.
    Don't have a great deal of interest in them for my current driving habits. I drive 85% of my mileage on the highway at 75mph+.
    Hey you enjoyed the Alero? I thought you disliked the Grand Am/Alero. I like the Alero but it would have been a good candidate to receive the honda v-6.
    Most high performance engines use oil; and since it is patterned after the Northstar, you will get some useage. The 3.8 has a cast iron block vs 3.5 cast alum.. The alternator is a nusiance problem which is curable..

GM's V-6 multi-valve engine ventures have not been too successful in retrospect..I don't know whether one would consider the Ford V-6, Duratec a success????? I think it is a whimp..
    Yes indeed, to my own surprise I found the Alero to be a quite enjoyable drive. The Pontiac Grand AM GT was not too far behind, but the Alero sedan is a quite a looker (Specially painted in Candy Apple Red). The N-bodies seem to perform much better with the 3400 V6 engine. The performance difference between the 3400 V6 in the Alero/Grand AM is very noticeable when compared against the 3100 V6 in the Malibu. The Grand AM GT sedan was painted in white, so the exterior cladding doesn't look as scandalous as a Red painted car. The dasboard in the Grand AM was janked right off from the Batmobile...but I liked it..its different.

My *Beef* with the N-bodies, continues to be the very poor safety ratings and spotty reliability. If it weren't for the latter, I am sure my wife would be happy on either Alero/Grand AM, but as it stands, she rather wait for their respective replacements hopefully within the next year or so.
    I view Ford's Duratec engine as a very mediocre effort in terms of competition against other popular and superior cammed engine designs. It has never impressed me. The 3800 V6 eats Duratecs for breakfast, that's for sure ;-)

The Northstar family of engines, on the other hand, I think they have been a very successful venture for GM. They might have thir problems but the Northstars kick some serious butt. I would like to see the next generation of these engines and what would they bring in terms of refinement, performance, efficiency, durability, etc.

By the way, do you drive a 1971 Chevelle SS? (Love that car!)
    The 3.5L actually has incredible midrange and good top end.
    Yes, the 3.5L is slower off the line than the 3800. I have been beaten many times through the intersection by geriatrics in Lesabres.
    My 3.5L has the 3.29 gear while the 2000 and later non PCS cars have the 3.05 gear.
    I reiterate that its midrange and passing power is incredible. I will give up some low end to get refinement and piece of mind when passing on a two lane road.
    If I want to be a redneck and burn the tires off the back from a stop i will drive the Z28. Which is a blast to drive around town, but can't hold a candle to the intrigue above 60 mph.
    The 71 Super Sport was a Camaro. Small block powered, automatic and a thousand years ago.

bz4----Is the Intrigue still in the clinic???? Did they furnish you with loaner???? The low end grunt isn't needed for the drag strip is not the Intrigue's forte..

Master's golf weekend and the temp by Sunday is to be near 85 in the sunny South..wow
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I used to be a fan of the 3800 and still am as far as its durability is concerned. I've got almost 76,000 miles on my 3800 Intrigue so I am a self appointed authority on this engine with this car. I did an extensive test drive of a 2001 Intrigue w/3.5 and I can say that it is a better performing engine. It doesn't have the "low-end grunt" that the 3800 has; but opponents make it sound like the 3.5 is a 1.8L four-banger.

Uh-uh.

The first time I drove the 3.5 and put it in gear the car was so powerful it was eager to get moving. A year later I drove it again. I passed a guy on a two lane road uphill and was at 85 and still climbing before I knew it. The last time I felt that was when I rented a Lincoln TownCar and opened it up on the Interstate.

No, the 3.5 doesn't snap your neck back. But take it on a REAL test drive. Over here in the Philly area there are (poorly designed) on-ramps where you basically have to go from a complete stop and merge with traffic going 50 mph and higher. The 3.8 makes you feel like you're going to leave approaching cars in your mirror but you quickly realize that ain't the truth. The 3.5, on the other hand, takes about all of one second after flooring it to hit its stride. Then the cars behind you quickly begin vanishing.

I've driven both (the 3.8 extensively) and the 3.5 is smoother, quieter and an overall better performer than the 3.8. etharmon a few posts back drove a 3.5 for an entire day. When he picked up his 3.8 Intrigue he described a big difference. And he's a fan of the 3800. I think that " **REAL** world example" says it all.
    The results are in and they are pretty much what i expected.

Had the oild changed, new airfilter and tires rotated for $58.11. Not bad.

The rest of the items were warranty items. They are:

Car blows blue smoke upon start up. Smoke is water vapor. No Problem Found.

Noise in front end going over bumps. No abnormal noise found. I guess all intrigue noises are normal. No Problem Found.

Engine starts rough or does not start. No Problem Found.

Rear door hinges loose. No Problem Found.

Car groans or shudders when backing and turning wheel. No Problem Found.

Engine Accessories noisy at times. No Problem Found.

Popping sound when turning right.Replaced right side control arm. They almost got away with doing no work.

Like I said before 1415 states that they will rebuild the whole front end. Even though i asked them to lube the jounce bumpers they didn't do it.

To answer 71ss question. It is easier for me to drive the camaro when the intrigue is in the shop because the loaner they give is a rental and i have to sign paperwork etc. So i just have the courtesy shuttle drive me home.

I went by and paid the bill and will go get the car tomorrow. I will guarantee you that the control arm did not fix the noise.

Before i went to the dealership i found out that the bravada is on lock down due to front suspension problems. So i was not able to drive it.
  • timmyvtimmyv Member Posts: 7
    I've counted at least 8 visits to the dealer where I've requested the flickering headlights be fixed to date. 3 calls to the Olds customer service line and numerous talks with the service manager.

I recv'd one of those "Newly Designed" replacement alternators that the TSB calls for a month ago. Well, I reported to the service manager today that I'm having the same problem again! She really wasn't too surprised and noted that others with the new alternator are still having this issue. It goes in next week - I'll keep you posted.

To date, here are the other issues I've had with my 99 Intrigue w/ 42K:

(1) Replaced CD/Tape Deck
    (2) Replaced Passenger Side Blower Fan Motor
    (3) Replaced Right Headlight Assembly
    (4) Replaced Air Deflector
    (5) Replaced a few plastic interior pieces that kept falling off
    (6) Replaced Alternator
    (7) Replaced Battery

Some problems that have developed lately that I'm not going to deal with until I have to because the dealer doesn't know how to fix them:

(1) Slow, hesitant starts when warm
    (2) Burning Oil, actually had the "Low Oil" light come on 3500 miles after my last oil change.
    (3) Groaning feeling/sound when turning in reverse
    (4) Gas door never opens in the winter
    (5) Front end is feeling lose
    (6) All illuminated controls hot to touch

Does anyone know what kind of trade in value the GL is going for these days (midwest)?
    Maybe 12-14K? Anyone else care to guess?

By the looks of it, Intrigue sales may slip below Aurora levels on its way down to zero. Alero is the only bright spot in the Olds lineup. From what I've been reading, sounds like Bravada sales will have to wait till they figure out how to put it together a little better.

GM Sales Numbers

bz4-----You have a perfect car and curious what the control arm does for noise control. That's one new piece for the rebuild which by the way it sounds you may be turning it in early and picking up the new one.

timmyv----Lucky you didn't fry the 3.5L for they are designed to digest oil to keep those 215 horses cooking on command. At 3500 miles the 3.8 would be full of oil; but I think people tend to sock it to 4 valve jobbie.

Just some passing thoughts!!
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 99 which I like a lot. Only persistent problem is the self-locking front door that I have reported on before. I find the car comfortable to drive, but my wife absolutely refuses to drive it. She says the back support digs into her back and the car is too uncomfortable to drive for that reason. Is there any reasonable fix?
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Very good point on the 3800 v 3.5 debate. I've always been a 3800 fan as my old 89 had 115K on it and the 3800 in that car didn't leak or use a drop of oil and still ran great. And the low end torque is a impressive, but the 3.5 is not all that bad in this regard either. Maybe these little 2.5 to 3.0 liter DOHC engines in the Asian cars lack good torque, but one of the things I noticed about the 3.5 is that is "takes off" nearly as quickly as my 3800 does and unlike the 3.8 which wants to upshift quickly, the 3.5 will happily stay in gear if you want it to. As for longevity, I have confidence in the 3.5. Number one, it's Northstar based and the Northstar V8s are incredible engines. And secondly, the 3.5 has been out for 2 1/2 years now and there have been no major problems to date. If GM does one thing right, it is their powertrains. And BTW, there is still no "offcial" word that the 3.5 is being discontinued. After driving a 2001 all afternoon several weeks ago, I can say the new engine makes it feel like a different car. If this engine was not available, I would not be considering another Intrigue. Try this with both a 3800 and a 3.5 Intrigue; put the parking brake on and put the car in neutral then rev the engine a bit while placing your hand on the wheel. Notice how much smoother the 3.5 sounds and feels. Sorry 3800 guys, but the 3.5 is clearly superior here. Both are good engines and with a blower the 3800 is darn fast, but the 3.5 is no slouch either and it's extra refinement and high revving will attract more customers who cross shop imports.

David161, glad you are liking your Intrigue. Seems of lately we've had more complainers on here. As for the back thing, I have one friend who complains that the car has too much lumbar support. Personally, I think it is just right. What she might want to try is to recline the seat slightly. Also, if yours has the power adjustable seat, she may want try different positions with that.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I've had time now to "settle in" with my car, and come up with some likes and dislikes.

I still think the Intrigue is a tight, fine handling automobile, and tastfully styled. The interior is about as close to perfect as I've seen in a GM. (I think the dashboard "cruise disable" button is a silly afterthought, though.)

I've got the headlight flicker, (although not so bad that it bothers me. I just notice it once in a while.)

The brakes are holding up well. But I'm a smooth braker by nature, and could get 80,000K on a set of pads in my Mazda.

Re: 3.5 vs 3.8. I love the 3.5-- it gives me such satisfaction now to be able to "get ahead" of traffic anytime I want. At 5000 RPM I swear the thing sounds to me like what a "racing engine" should sound like in my mind.

But I do have some buyer's remorse for not getting PCS. The 3.05 gearing in a 2000 puts all the passing power in the 50-80mph range. Stomp on the gas at even 70, and there's a double downshift to second... Apparently there is *plenty* of power to spare, so I get the feeling the 3.29 gearing is probably a more natural fit.

My only serious gripe is the quality of glass in the windows. I've noticed distortions on the left and right edges of the windshield, and the left rear passenger window. None of my previous cars had this problem. (Although I've heard this is becomming more commonplace on modern cab-forward designs with those big windshields.)

Would I be going overboard to try and have the windshield replaced under warranty? My gut instinct tells me to leave a winshield alone if it isn't leaking or cracked. But it *is* annoying.
    If you drive enough you will probably have a chance to have the distorted one replaced with another distorted one. Lots of messing around for nothing; and the very real chance of ending up leaks and wind noise which will make the present complaint look small.

My wife's Cadillac has a rear window distortion but she doesn't notice it; so I don't bring it up.

Glad you like the car.

bz4-----Lower control arm is a good size casting if I remember correctly; so what made it rattle???? Did a bushing let go????

$58.11 is a little high for rotation, oil change, and air filter. I paid $44.69--air filter is 12.37 and rotation is 9.95..It's a Cadillac dealer to boot!!!!
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the lower control arm. They replaced the left one last year and it didn't do anything.
    teo : Ya.. they recalled the new midsize SUVs, but I have to give GM credit for doing it before people got hurt (unlike Ford). Shouldn't hurt sales though as these SUVs are very good. Besides, Ford sells boat loads of Escape SUVs and they have had 5 recalls. Ack!

timmyv : You got a lemon I guess. Did you buy used or new? Sounds like an old rental car.

vcjumper : Alero and Aurora are the only cars I see GM trying to save. I see Aleros everywhere these days, it's amazing. Intrigue is a dead duck. I totally see production ceasing in early 2002. Sad because I think it's the best mid-size sedan GM ever made.
    71ss: $58 is a steal for oil change, tire rotation and air filter. My dealer charges $70 just for oil change and rotation. One time they tried to charge me about $130 to change the engine air filter and passenger air filter. $130 for two filters is nuts. They are a Cadillac dealer also, and I won't go back there for service anymore. Does anyone know if Chevy dealers or Pontiac dealers are servicing the 3.5L Intrigues yet? I guess they will have to eventually...
    I assume the warranty expense of control arm replacement is something large enough so that the dealer doesn't replace unless the factory will okay the expense. To replace both control arms without a TSB or prior factory approval is awesome.

You are an important client at the dealership.

Enjoy and keep us informed.
    On 2/13/01 at my local Cadillac dealer I had the oil changed and a new airfilter on the Northstar for a total of $34.32..

The $44.69 for the 99 Intrigue included oil change, tire rotation, and air filter.. 3.5L engine..

The local Caddy dealer is not an Olds guy; however the my Olds dealer is also a Caddy dealer..

You owners are getting "stroked"; sure would dread having something major done at your dealer.. I can picture a brake job on an Intrigue for turning only at $500.00.. Scarey people with a "license to steal".
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    david161 ::: I am not 100% certain what the extent of your self-locking doors problem is, but if my memory serves me correct, this is a programmable feature. I remember that upon putting the car in PARK one could program which doors would unlock ie. driver only, driver & passenger, or all 4 doors. I cant remember if you could program it NOT to lock upon putting it into drive. If you have not already, you might want to double your owners manual.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I had the locks in my new Bonneville reprogrammed at the dealer to not lock when the car was placed in gear. They charged a standard 30 minutes for the job (which I doubt took longer than 2 minutes).

Ken
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    I rev mine alot, and actually drive pretty hard, but over the last 1.5 year (12.5 miles) do n0t see any or much oil use btwn changes (3-4k miles).

Note to those who suggest the car should have kept/get back the 3800- if you believe this them GM has many other cars for you, and you are not the target market anyways. This car is/was mean't as an import conquest model, in a market where said imports (esp. European) typically have more refinement than any others. Argue this has been a failure perhpas for Olds, but in fact the car is competitive with other sports sedans from overseas ands otherwise. A GTP or GS is what you want anyways, where some refinement is given up for raw power. Gotta say though, those 3800 SC's sound awful going away. School Bus anyone?
    door locking is programmable, as is the alarm.
    Your Intrigue has an alarm? Mine just has remote entry. Has anyone ever seen the security light on the dash light up? I know I have seen the light come on in my mother-in-law's Park Avenue and I think my friends Grand Prix also lights up. I don't think the Intrigue has a security system. It's like the light for the low tire pressure on the dash that never comes on...
    I guess it is an alarm. Have you ever hit the panic button.
    It doesn't have an alarm in terms of an open door or broken window triggering it. The security feature comes from PassLock, which keeps the car from starting if it does not sense a key in the ignition. The panic button just makes the horn honk. My issue is with the light on the dash - I have never seen it light up which is odd to me because I know other GM cars have a "security" light that flashes.
    A couple of hours after i bought my car i went to a drug store near my home. I pulled up to my parking space and turned the car off. For some reason i turned the car off while it was still in drive. I got out of the car and locked it with the key fob.

Was in the store for only a few minutes. Walked up to my car and unlocked it with the key fob.
    Put the key in the ignition and turned it. Nothing. Looked down and the car was still in drive. Put the car in park and turned the key. Nothing. Tried it again . Nothing.
    Got out of the car and locked the car with the fob, then turned it off again. Tried the key. Nothing.
    Locked the car with the key. Unlocked it with the key. Put key in ignition and turned it. Nothing.

I am not a happy camper. I remember about olds customer assistance and call them on the cell phone.

She tells me that because the car was left in drive and that i moved the gearshift lever after i tried to start it, it thinks that someone is trying to steal it.

She said that i should wait 20 minutes, and try to start it again, everything will have reset itself. I go into blockbuster to kill time. Come out twenty minutes later, unlock the car with the fob, put the key in the ignition and it starts right up.

This car may not have an alarm, but it has antitheft.
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to all who responded about the unwanted door locking. The programming was a good guess, butit seems to have nothing to do with the problem. The programming was the first thing the dealer thought of, and the first thing the dealer tried, months ago, was to disable the "last door locking feature." That had no effect and the problem continued. What happens is that about once every two weeks or so, after leaving the car parked and unlocked, I will return to find the drivers, side door has locked itself. If it was the programming, it would happen every time, not just once in a while. Also, it's not my key fob, because it has happened when I was not carrying it. If it was errant radio waves from someone else's fob, I would expect all four doors to lock, not just the drivers. Fortunately, although it is a mystery, it is only a very minor irratation. Interestingly the last time I took it to the dealer (trip no. 3), the dealer replaced the "actuator." At first, that seemed to have no effect. The morning after I picked up the car,the drivers'side door locked itself while I was parked briefly in front of the post office. It happened three more times over the next six weeks, but over the last four or five weeks it has not happened at all. Maybe the problem is gone, or will it be back? Who knows.
    You think the Intrigue's backglass has some distortion, try a 95-99 Aurora. That curved backglass makes the car look stylish, but causes some serious distortion. And it's about $2200 to replace. My father has a 95 Aurora and knows as some punks threw a rock through his backglass about 3 years ago while the car was parked in his driveway. Thank God for insurance on that one.

Ketch, I wouldn't go so far to say the 3800 sounds like a school bus(if only school buses sounded that good) but it's certainly not a joy to hear at high rpms. The 3800 works best in a larger and better isolated car like the Bonneville or LeSabre where you don't hear it. It's one of those engine that is best seen(in this case felt in by the seat of your pants) but not heard. On the other hand, the 3.5 is an engine you might actually want to hear when revved up. IMO, it sounds better at 6000 rpms than pretty much anything on the radio these days.
    To my knowledge, Olds has never offered a factory alarm on the Intrigue. The remote entry does have a panic feature which will cause the horn to blow and the lights to flash, but it has to be activated by the remote. Someome simply breaking into the car will not cause it to go off. The only security feature the Intrigue has is the Pass-Lock ignition key and I believe this is what the "Security" light is related to. If someone trys to start the car with an improper key, this light will flash and the car is not supposed to start. My father's Aurora has the Pass-Key feature which actually has a small chip embedded in the key which completes the circuit for the ignition and fuel pump relays. Without the chip, those two relays are inactive. I'm not sure how the pass-lock works.
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    Passlock also disables the crank relay and fuel pump, but it uses a magnet and sensor assembly in the ignition switch to generate a voltage-coded signal instead of a resistor chip in the key itself. If someone tries to pick the lock, or damage it, or if they try to substitute another ignition switch or otherwise try to 'fool' the system it will generate a tamper signal that will disable the engine for a while and cause the security light to blink.
  • yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 22
    I'm surprised you were able to remove the key while the transmission was in Drive. I've accidentally shut off the engine while in Drive, but was unable to take the key out--seems like some kind of fail-safe.
    BTW: I have a 98 'Trig with the 3.8. I just rented a 3.5L model from Avis and drove 450 miles on it (as if I were in Nascar). Will have more comments about it in a little bit . . .
    bz4 : Interesting story on the ignition. I am not worried about my Intrigue not having an alarm. All the other things GM put in should keep the thing from going anywhere.

Noticed today in the Toronto Star... 1.9% no limit financing on all 2001 Oldsmobiles. C$26,998 for a GL with no charge heated leather/ PCS. C$35,998 for a 3.5 Aurora. I'm sure one could negotiate down another 5-6%. I wish I was in the market now! I'm stuck with 4.9%.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "VII" designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for Intrigue conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards