Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    yellowperil: Instead of Trig, how about 'Trigue? Or N'Trigue? Or even *Ntrigue.
  • 71ss71ss Member Posts: 39
    The 3.8 is a droner---boring!!!like a tractor..

The 3.5 is a whiner---like a Ferrari....

Good test yellowperil!!!!

Saturn is not too upscale the last time I looked; so I hope Intrigue fades out as a winner..

The entire Saturn project was based on GM divisions supplying parts at less than cost to overcome the Asians.. Roger Smith sold the whole piece of baloney to the Board.. Saturn would make a good lawnmower..
    I think they use the 1.9L SOHC Saturn engines in some of the Briggs & Stratton self-mulching models...
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Man this play on names is making me thing of Trigonometry and nsync. Make it stop!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I think that the 'Nsync reference was way over the line. We should quit while we're ahead because i am feelin the urge to alliterate.
  • yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 22
    How about "NTG?" Oh wait--that's nitro . . .
    Coleman--that was too funny re: Saturn mower!
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I just console myself that whatever my Intrigue gets is sooo much better than the 14-16MPG I used to get in my old 1974 V8 "college beater" :-)

If you let the cuise control handle your speed, you can get 30-31MPG on the highway in an Intrigue. (But if that's what you want-- isolating yourself from the driving experience with cruise-- then maybe the Intrigue isn't really the car for you!)
  • desmierdesmier Member Posts: 9
    Now what's wrong with using cruise on a highway?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I take great comfort in knowing the mileage I get is so much better than all those SUVs crawling up and down the highways. While the Intrigue's mileage is nothing to write home about, it's competitive with all the major V6 sedans out there and uses regular fuel. An extra 8-10 cent a liter for premium in a Maxima is a never ending nightmare.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I whole heartly agree with you about sedan/Trig better gas mileage than those crud-guzzling SUV.

However, I have never been able to understand peoples big hang-up on prem. extra 8-10 cents. Assuming that you fillup once a week, with 15-gallons that is a whopping buck-n-half. Over a course of 1-year you are talking less than 100 dollars. Even 200 if you must fill it twice a week.

If money is that tight maybe one should consider down-sizing to 4-banger.
    Love those low octane burners..I think the only GM engines requiring prem fuel in the current model lineup is the 3.8 supercharged. Caddy is a low octane burner starting with the 2000 models.

The non-domestic small displacement engines require the premium stuff to develop the legs to run with the larger displacement.. The prem fuel is a cheap fix for the 3.0/3.2 bunch..

At the gas pump we normally have the choice of three grades; however the prem. user only is up the creek.. I know, for the 96 Northstar isn't too happy on the mid-grade; and the 87 octane would be used for downhill trips only!!!!

The $0.10/gal difference is normally the spread between the mid-grade and the top end. The 87 vs. prem. is .13-.20 difference.. For years, I used the Sunoco 86 in the 2.8 and 3.1 GMs and after 90k/100k miles it didn't make any difference.. Never had any tuneups or sure didn't need any either..
    Actually, I'm talking 8-10 cents more per LITER. On a 50 liter full up that is C$4-5 a fill up. Why pay more for no reason. If I had a Vette, it would be well worth it.

Problem is gas already cost more here than in the U.S. Premium just makes it worse.
    Well I was feeling "frisky" at a stoplight today on my way to work after cruising at 150km/hr on the highway with an LS1 Camaro. Pulled up beside a midsize Mercedes thinking I would simply gun it at the light a bit and take his left lane to take the next left turn.

Unfortunately he had other ideas and as he walked away from me hard then took my lane to take the next right, I saw the AMG logo on the back of the car. Doh!
    vcjumper: stoplight racing in the Intrigue should be limited to truck/SUV and 4-banger econo-car competition. Save it for the highway where it really shines...
    Filled up the GLS yesterday at $1.47/87 octane.. Heard on the radio this a.m. to expect $3.00 this summer in some sections..

The local Mobil is trying to get there quick, for I noticed the Prem.@1.84 and the 87@1.70; so our enviro whacko friends and the camel jockeys have once again joined forces to screw the USA..

Good old Easter weekend is a great time to raise prices..

Save the Caribou!!!! Hello recession!!! and how long do you think you would like to stick around????

vcjumper----I like the way you step up to the task and make a Mercedes owner at least defend his $70k purchase. Keep up the challenge for it's great marketing and will spread the word; don't mess with Intrigue owners.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 3800 V6 like a tractor??? What???? Hey, I wish Tractors and Buses would sound this good!.

I have driven the 3.5L and it is indeed a smooth and powerful engine in the top end....the low end is no where near as powerful as the 3800.

The 3.5L will eventually be axed and the 3800 keeps going..hmmmmm I wonder why...
    Price of gas here just popped up to around 75 cents a liter from 67 last week. Must be a long weekend coming up.

Surprise!
    teo---When the 3.5 is axed, it seems as though we will be backsliding.. Must admit it is a bad scene, for the 3.8 is way beyond its useful life except providing basic transportation needs.

GM has frittered away too much money developing a hi-tech V-6 based on beancounter input..I enjoyed the 3.8; but doesn't sway any future consideration. GM is my favorite car co.; but they have lost the race with dull engines!!!

The 3.5 is pure silk and inspires driving on the fast side; with the lack of low end torque a non-event, who needs it????
    I wish I would have known he was going to gun it that hard, I went for a simple quick launch. It was a beautiful car but like you said 71ss, 3 times the price of an Intrigue, maybe more with AMG mods. Sure was fast.

Gas is sky high so I'll be limping the car around hoping to ride out half a tank till prices go down again. No more keeping it out of overdrive on the highway for s%$ts and giggles.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have read somewhere, that with the same rpm, and up to some maximum, the torque depends mostly on the displacement volume. This is why 3.8l have about 10% better low-end torque, and better acceleration at low speed.

The older pushrod engine starts to lose breath at about 3600-4000 rpm, and almost dies at 5500. This higher rpm band is about the optimum for the new 3.5l engine.

On the other hand, 3.5l is about 10-15% more than the 3.0-3.2l at Honda, Toyota, etc. This is why Intrigue have better low rpm torque/acceleration than these cars, even when they bear the Acura/Lexus badge.

GM planned to produce a 3.7l version of the Intrigue engine for new Pontiac GP. About the same displacement as the current 3.8l. But, probably, now it will be shelved.
    The 3.5 doesn't have the low end torque of the 3.8, but what mainstream sixes for cars do? If low end torque was desired by most, more cars would have it. The Intrigue has atleast as much as the foreign competition.

Put a 5-speed auto with the Shorstar and I think acceleration times would take a nice jump. That is a no brainer and GM would be dumb not to. Honda was smart mating one to their 3.2 and I wouldn't be surprised if their next Accord has one.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    First of all, I would dare to say the mid-size GM cars with 3.8l engine are about mainstream.

As to who needs the low-end torque, well, it depends on the driving pattern.

For example, I work and a city and live in a close suburb. Do not need to use highways, except for pleasure trips. I even intentionally drive home from work twice a usual distance by highways about once week at winter for practice, to not lose the skills.

The same with my wife, except she drives our son to swim pool twice a week - one exit by highway.

So we practically do not need the high-end performance. But a good low-end acceleration helps very often for different reasons: with changing lanes with fast start from traffic light, with merging into street traffic, and couple of times it let my wife to avoid the imbeciles who run a light.

On the other hand, I have friends who are commuting 40-60 miles one way. They live close to highway, and work near highway. Such driving pattern really asks for the high-end power, but barely for the low-end acceleration.

I believe, about the same is true with the "road warriors", e.g. corporate salesman.
  • ghostzghostz Member Posts: 19
    Looking at the gmpowertrain.com site, there is not a huge difference in the torque curves of the 3.5 v. the 3.8. I have read that GM designed the 3.5 specifically to provide good low end torque. Never owned a 3.8 car. Are we really talking that big of a difference?

JR
    People make a lot of gloomy forecasts about the 3.5. Is this just rumor or is there any published news to this effect? I'm skeptical that GM would axe the 3.5... Their next generation of high performance engines would surely be Northstar-derived, and the 3.5 has already been road tested for 3 years and is a logical place to start.

Regarding the endless comparisons between the engines... There is one area that the 3.8 certainly has a huge advantage. And that's aftermarket upgrades. But that should change as the 3.5 is used in other lines, if GM keeps building it.
    If Gm had never put the 3800 in the intrigue we would be comparing the intrigue's acceleration to the Camrys and accords of the world, not intrigue against intrigue.

Still it is an interesting comparison. The reason for the difference is mainly due to the 4 valve vs. two valve difference. Any time you increase a naturally aspirated engine's breathing ability, low end power will suffer.

This is true in pushrod engines also. If you have a small block 350 CID Chevy that has a stock 1.94" intake valve. Replace that valve with a 2.02", port the heads to take advantage of the increased flow and you have killed some low end power, but gained something on the top end.

Since that small block chevy now flows more it needs a camshaft that has the lift and duration to take advantage of the engines new found breathing ability. That new camshaft can really kill low end power. You will now need steeper gearing( which the intrigue needs) and higher stall torque convertor or a manual tranny(the intrigue has neither).

The 4 valve engine in the intrigue has the same effect on low end poweras the 2.02 valve in the small block chevy. It kills low end power.

The intrigue does not have a high lift camshaft either, because if it did it wouldn't be so smooth at idle. The intrigue also has fairly short intake runners to help with midrange and above flow.

The 3800 has relatively small valves and longer intake runners to help with low and mid range power.

Acura and honda use a lot of gearing to get their cars going. This is why the acceleration times are so close. The steeper gearing hurts their highway mileage numbers.

If the intrigue was running 3.55 or 3.71 gearing, a 5 speed auto and a looser torque convertor i would fully expect a 0-60 time of 7 flat or less.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    It was published in Wards Auto World that the 3.5L goes away in '02.

http://www.homestead.com/redly1/Oldsmobile_stuff_Intrigue.html

Anyone been following Olds long enough to remember when the Intrigue (or Cutlass Supreme) was supposed to come out? 1995, if I remember correctly. If you read old reviews about the CS, you will find it. Coincidentally, that year the Cutlass Supreme got a slightly similar dash to the Intrigue. Makes me wonder how long the 3.5L was in the works.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Info from a metals newspaper:
    GM 3.8 V-6 engines will be out of production by 2006. Replaced with all aluminum, overhead cam, "Electron" V-6s starting in 2003. GM considered using the 3.5 premium twin-cam engines but they are costly and underpowered for some of the cars in which the 3.8s are used. A stronger, upsized version of the premium V-6, displacing 3.7 liters is also being developed.
    Imagine how much different that would be if sales had just been better... the 3.5 might have made it to the Alero to replace the 3.4, and the upsized 3.5 -> 3.7 might have been an option on the Intrigue. That might have satisfied those who kept hoping for a Northstar Intrigue....

Still, that article doesn't make it definite that the 3.5 will never be built again. We'll have to see if GM scaps the dies or just puts them in storage for another line.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Again, some of you make the 3.5 sound like it is an Asian four banger when compared to the torque of the 3800 and this is not at all true. I have a 98 Intrigue with the 3800 and yes that engine has alot of low end torque. Floor it at a stop light and you'll immediately engage the traction traction. I could switch the TC off and do that and finish off whats left of the Goodyear Eagles in about 10 seconds. Now, having said that I'll say the 3.5 DOHC V6 has pretty good torque too. I've driven several service loaners with the 3.5 and recently spend an afternoon with a brand new GLS and I found that when you give the 3.5 a nice jab in the gas, it leaps forward pretty quickly as well. Personally, I love the way it will stay in a lower gear longer and let that wonderful engine rev. The 3.29 axle ratio on PCS equipped models also helps. So don't discredit the 3.5 just because alot of it's competitors don't have as much low end power. It's really an impressive engine. And I've always been very fond of the ultra reliable 3800. Now, as for the future of the 3.5, there is a guy who posted in the 2003 Cadillac CTS thread that Automotive News has reported that there is indeed a larger displacement version of this engine coming in the next generation Grand Prix. I asked him how reliable this source was and he claims Automotive News is very reliable. So thats good news to us Shortstar fans.

71ss(aka 1415) I am so in agreement with you on post 2264. What these tree huggers don't understand is that energy is what drives our economy and while $3 gallon gasoline may drive more people out of big SUVs it will also cause the US economy to slow even more. I filled up the Intrigue this evening and I noticed 87 octane was up to $1.45 a gallon. My father is now spending $30 or more to tank his premium drinking 95 Aurora up. THANKS ALOT LIBERALS!!
    The April 1995 issue of MT had a picture of the Antares show car which they said would be the next generation Cutlass Supreme in 1997. They also mentioned it would have a DOHC V6 based on the Aurora's V8. The show car looked alot like what the Intrigue looks like.
    Not intrigue related but I guess it will be a sedan you shouldn't mess with when it arrives.. especially the 5 speed version. 0-60 in 6.3.

2002 Altima

Wow!! That is some kind of car. Looks like the altima will be bigger than the maxima. 240 hp in a 3000 lb. car will make for some exhilerating acceleration times.

Maybe i should hold off on the 2001 intrigue.
    Maybe Automotive News is confused about the V-6 for they used an Alero photo in the Intrigue article..

Growing tired of the rumor mill; so maybe it's time to dump the Intrigue and get into the last of the V-8 Camaros..

If I let about 5lbs. of air out of the tires; someone might think the Intrigue is a limo..Warranty till 75k--what's the Bid????
    Funny, I've always thought of the Altima as a little 4-banger econobox. The new one sounds pretty sweet. I bet it will steal a lot of sales from the Maxima though. I'll be car shopping again in 2003 (for the wife), so the Altima will definitely be a contender.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    4-valve OHC engines breath better but loose some low-rpm power because of the reduced velocity of intake charge. This is fixed in some of the more sophisticated engines with variable timing. 5-speed auto and shorter gearing help alot, too. Acura TL and BMW use a 5-speed auto and short gearing to produce quick, seamless acceleration... it's only a matter of time before everyone else adopts these techniques.
    I read that there has been an announcement of a HUGE oil field north of Edmonton (sp?), Canada. Reserves estimated at 15% MORE than Saudi Arabia. Looks like the next big oil glut will be coming courtesy of our friends in the "great white north." So, don't dispair over current, short-term gas price spikes. Long term looks pretty good.
    1415/71ss... I am trading the 2000 3800 Firebird in tommorrow on a 2001 LS1 Formula. Price out the door after rebates (before taxes) is $20,872. I just read that the 2002 Formula's will have T-tops as standard equipment... glad I grabbed a 2001, as I didn't want t-tops. I can hardly wait for that V-8 rush!
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Man, she looks good on paper. I agree that it might steal a few sales from the Maxi.

I also think it looks better the Max.

Wonder where it fits in on the pricing scale.
    Apparently will be getting a 260 hp version.. In time for when the TL/CL have the 260 hp motor standard in 2003. Perhaps the Max will move upmarket. The Altima looks much better than the Max though I don't think I'm a big clear tails person.
    It looks kinda like an aurora and an accord's son. From the looks of things, Nissan is pushing the Performance segment of the new car market. I am pretty sure I heard the Altima is moving into the place of the Maxima, and the Maxima is going to grow to compete with larger sedans like the Toyota Avalon and, ha ha, Park Avenue.

Gas is $1.65 for 87 Octane in Indianapolis, second 10 cent jump in a week. Last time I filled up, I bought a little further north for $1.28! I love Price wars!
    Enjoy your new toy. $20,800 seems like an excellent price. I read an article in Road and Track about the oil in Canada as well. All I can is that it's time to start drilling.

71ss, I don't think that was Automotive News that had the Alero picture when talking about the Intrigue.
    Glad to see you getting back into swift transportation for I drove the 3800 with the sport pkg in the Camaro and didn't do much for me.. Stayed away from the Z drive for I knew that the checkbook would get flattened out..

The Formula is a super car; my only hangup is the recessed/popup headlights. How is yours equipped?
    Trans and tires??

I am with you on the T-top and after a dozen cars with sunroofs, I am wearing a little thin on that option and will probably pass on the next car..

The wifes Caddy is going to be around another year and the Intrigue is worthless for resale, so I will punish myself and drive through the extended warranty..

The 3.5 turned out to be a very expensive engine for GM if one reviews the numbers obviously was a miscue somewhere; whether it be lack of potential or physical size..I never read any testing data prior to purchasing the car nor did I ever see any GM prototype test results of long term dyno mileage. The new truck I-6 went through some heavy testing and 300k miles dyno/wide open was a breeze..
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    I responded to your post in "meet the members" but it was removed. I guess it's not a discussion area.

Anyway, your right, it does look blue. Must be the lighting and the fact that I used a $28 scanner. There was a little over 300 mi on it.
    I wanted a green or ruby 99GLS. They had a green and a white.
    The blurbs so far about it do sound interesting. Inline 6's... An idea so old it's new again!

If GM can build I-6's again, could they bring back RWD in cars? Surely there must be a cadre within GM that still smarts from the loss of police cruisers. RWD is the quite natural choice for an I-6 layout.
    tried to post last night and couldn't get it to connect.
    My post in "midsize cars for tall people" was removed along with someone else's.
    I think a bunch of posts from yesterday completely disappeared.
    Do you think the owner's club will dilute the activity on this thread? I have already noticed new names who are not posting here. Maybe they are just lurking.
    I did some more checking and all the posts yesterday between 7:37 am and 7:40 pm are gone.
    Did edmunds announce some kind of changeover that i missed?
    I noticed yesterday evening that all of my posts from yesterday were gone too. They were doing indexing last night when I noticed, so maybe they lost stuff.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Mine is pewter/ebony, auto, 3.23 axle (the only option). Standard wheels are 16-inchers... with 245-50/16 GSC Goodyear's. I have already ordered up a set of the polished 17-inch WS6 wheels and 245-45/17 BF Goodrich Comp TA HR4 tires to stick on. And, of course, I have a complete ebony leather interior out of a 2000 TA sitting in the spare bedroom to drop in as well. You can't get the WS6 package (17-inch wheels and tires) on the Formula anymore and the only way to get leather is to also buy T-tops. I can't get the car I want anymore... I have to get something close and then finish building it myself!
    Pewter exterior is a sporty color and it was the color of my first Porsche w/red interior..1957 1600S coupe..

I see where Pontiac only offers ebony, taupe, and dark oak for interior colors.. The ebony leather sounds super; is someone missing their interior on a 2000TA or shouldn't I ask???

Is the std Formula suspension strong enough to hold the 17" tracks on the pavement????

I think the wide treads look neat; but they are not my bag for cruising--too much rubber flopping around--too hard to balance and they tend to pick up all bumps..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, Town Hall had a severe problem last night, and posts made after sometime yesterday morning disappeared in the process of getting TH up and running again. The technical folks have been working all night - and are still working - trying to get them back.

I understand some have already been restored, and more may be coming, but there are no promises at this point.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this situation and trust that every effort is being made to rectify the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards