Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Like I said before, people know nothing about Intrigue including the problems it may have initially had. No one has ever said, "hey.. did you have any intermediate steering shaft problems with that car". It's usually more like.. "hey... nice car. Who makes it?".

Simple as that.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Looking over the last edition of Consumer Reports, the 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue is listed under 'Used cars to avoid'...need I say more..?
  • Options
    "Consumer Reports" said it.. need I say more.

Keep in mind they recommend the 2001 Intrigue also.
  • Options
    But unfortunately a lot of people take them seriously...
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Dindak, Teo, I think you miss my point. The Bengal is a very attractive vehicle, yes; but, like the Plymouth Prowler, it is totally wrong for Buick's image. Note that the Prowler did nothing to save Plymouth. Now we have a vehicle that is the antithesis of everything people associate with Buick. Let's see, where did this happen before....?

Ah, yes, Oldsmobile. Introduced a whole bunch of pretty good vehicles that were totally unlike their past image. A few people who never would have previously considered an Oldsmobile actually bought them, and liked them. But unfortunately, they turned off a whole bunch of their former customers who, like it or not, were still walking around with money in their pockets looking for a traditional Oldsmobile they could buy. A bunch of those customers walked away from Oldsmobile forever and went to Buick to join the traditional Buick buyers that liked the kind of car Buick makes. As a result, Olds died. Now, Teo, you want Buick to do the same thing that killed Olds? Are you bucking for a Vice-Presidency at GM or something? This sounds like Zarella-thinking... :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    He used to be a vice-president over at Bausch-Lomb the same people that makes your trusty RayBan sunglasses and contact lenses drops. That dude is by no means a 'Car Person'. For the most part he is clueless, yet he is the president of GM's North American operations. Thank him personally (Or send him a little thank you note) for the dismissal and failure of the Oldsmobile division.

If I were in that position I would change many things around...but...given GM's archaic corporate culture I dunno.

The Bengal might be the wrong product for Buick but like you said it is designed to increase show room traffic pretty much like the Prowler did for Plymouth, the Viper did for Dodge and the NSX did for Acura.

Look at Lexus. Lexus does not enjoy a high performance image. It is consider to be the stodgiest of high end Japanese luxury cars. They brought over the RWD Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS300) sedan and the car has been criticized because it is too small, too expensive and too radical for the typical Lexus buyer. The car hasn't sold well (I personally like it minus the clear taillight lenses) due to the lack of a manual tranny and a more power 6 cyl engine. In the fall, Lexus will introduce a 5-speed manual and the IS300 Sportswagon in hopes to jump start interest for this vehicle.

Perhaps, the IS300 would have had more acceptance as a high end Toyota model, not a Lexus blvd cruiser. Lexus also introduced the akward looking, French designed Lexus SC430 coupe which is another non traditional product for the Lexus clientele. The Audi TT is better.

The Bengal is to fill a similar niche and it is mainly another Image builder product. This car is not aimed at the Regal/LeSabre buyer but it is preparing the way for the Buick Cielo and other Buick products. I think GM will get it right and better with Buick.

If Oldsmobile would have gotten the Bengal I think things would have gone a bit better.

The Prowler was marketed as a Plymouth, already a dying brand long before this hot rodder was introduced in the mid 1990's.
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    I say bring back Deloren at least he new cars!
  • Options
    Is he still in Prison???

If GM had Carlos Ghosn at the top...things would be a lot different.

Just look at the tremendous come back of Nissan with the all new Altima and 260HP Maxima...
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    ...to cast Oldsmobile as the "import fighting" division. Wasn't that why GM spent billions setting up the Saturn division? It could very well be that all of the effort that went into Olds would have been better placed in Saturn anyhow.

I suppose I could have bought a Saturn Intrigue, if my GM card points were accepted. Now with Olds gone, I wonder if GM will allow the GM card points to be used on Saturns? (They do in Canada. And I think even Saab allows GM card points there.)
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    teo is talking about a "tremendous" comeback for Nissan because of two cars that haven't even been released yet. Pretty amusing.
  • Options
    The Visa/GM card program in Canada is much more flexible as far as the points they allow to use among their entire product core.

The Mastercard/GM card US program is better when it comes to accrue more points quicker (The Canadian Visa card still has the old Blue US accounts rules).

Saturn from time to time has allowed to use the GM points on the L series sedan.

Don't care for Saturns or Isuzus either way.

A Saab would be tempting...
  • Options
    Read the news. Carlos Ghosn has been responsible for the revival of Nissan. In 1999 they were swimming in red ink....today they are soaring in profits.

I hope you still find it 'amusing' when Nissan begins to put serious dents all over the place.

www.autonews.com
  • Options
    I've seen the article, but the comeback of Nissan is not due to the 2002 Altima or 2003 Maxima.
  • Options
    When you realize that GM is not introducing the 'Mid-lux' and 'Sigma' platform all new sedans until 2004 or late 2005.

I see that GM's main problem is timing..
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    i blame Roger Smith.

My dealer also said that many customers wanted a bench seat and olds no longer ofered it.
  • Options
    He really screwed up GM in the 1980's and still much of the damage is felt today.

He was the king of bean counters..
  • Options
    focus18focus18 Member Posts: 28
    $24,000 for a GX is not such a good deal compare to the $27k GL. Dealers are tight lip about 02 and cost. A full page ad for the catera sport for $36,000, went in to a dealership, saw two on the floor but told was all sold out. Bait and switch?
  • Options
    9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    The Impala is a name which has some neat heritage; but the current offering is as stated before; a committee car out of GMs parts bin- nothing more..If one drives a car 3/4k/mo then it starts to have a some merit--2000 miles every couple months doesn't prove much in the world of
    reliability..

The SHO Taurus V-8 was an absolute dismal failure.. The V-6 SHO was a winner but something happened to the original acceptance of the car and it was killed by Ford and Yahama.. The V-8 was never a performance car and the Yahama valve train never was as planned..

The Impala is a price car, lets face it.. If you worked with the automotive people you might understand some of the decisions.

My impression of a car is how it stays away from the dealer and does the hi-speed bit without complaint or failure..The 98 Intrigue at 26k was in perfect running order because I made sure it was fixed..What happened at that time is still puzzling..Next thing I know is that I am in a new 99 GLS w/3.5..

Please read carefully:::::the 99 has had the rear rotors and pads replaced, rear rotors turned once and the front rotors turned twice..A ISS was replaced to shut up my mouth so to speak,,,and the front end rattle is less.. The car has 46k miles of big time high-speed cruising with the same balanced tires and alignment as it left the factory.. The tires up until 32k were rotated every 6k miles.. There are no telltale signs of strut weakness or or any suspension wear which is absolutely remarkable given the crappy roads in the region..having spent alot of time in Fla, your roads are glass smooth, no chuck holes or disappearing pavement..

The creaky body is almost AARP like in approach and if ones ears are that sensitive maybe some cotton inserts would make life more liveable..

GM does not give anything away so if you think somebody forgot to charge enough for the Impala and you got a bargain--don't stay up nights trying to see where you made out..You might as well have bought a GP SE w/3.8 and saved a ton..

Each GM division carries a status symbol in circle of life so where do you think Chev/Pontiac/Olds/Cad fit in the scheme of things..

A note to anyone buying a used GM car::: a copy of all repairs done under warranty is available through your dealer..I just had a check done on a 93 Allante starting with the first service in 10/93 through 3/98..
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    9899olds - You say 12/31/01 is the end of the line for the Olds Intrigue. How do you know this? Please quote your source. I know that the 2002 model year will be the end for the Intrigue and the 3.5. I assumed that 2002 would be a full year production run (it certainly is more economical to buy parts in larger quantities) and your info is the only I have heard to the contrary.

My dealer ordered 2002 Olds models and expects his first Intrigue to be built 3rd week of August and arrive here by the end of August.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    I admire your creativity to fit the K&N cone filter to your Intrigue. Have you been tracking your gas mileage since your last update? 34 mpg is AWESOME and hard to believe. I got 31 mpg on one tankful one time, but never again did I get above 28.5. It makes me wonder if I miscalculated, but I don't think I did. I have the 3.8 engine also. Let us all know how the K&N mod has been working out in the last month. I'm tempted to do what you've done, but I'm not sure I'm that bold.
  • Options
    focus18 : What dealer did you go to for the Catera? I know Addison on Bay in Toronto is the number one Caddy dealer in Canada. They always have lots of Cateras. I paid just under 28K for my GL. $27K with PCS would have been much better. Also have 0.9% financing on now for year end clearance. Deals!

teo : Ya.. Saturn/Saab/Isuzu (SSI) dealers are accepting the GM card on everything they sell. May consider a Vue SUV next year. Can't afford a Saab unfortunately.

bz4 : Roger Smith was a screw up. Current management seem to finally be moving GM in the right direction.
  • Options
    Dealership where I buy Intrigues and Caddies..Just passed on what I was told and Detroit does some strange things.. I questioned it and they weren't too happy after I told them "no more intrigues", switching to a Z-28, another dead duck but with more appeal..

I don't hold too much faith in some of these predictions; but why should they keep on the heavy discounting and add to their liability at the dealer level on the buyout which is based on total units sold over a certain time frame..
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Lets say you or I buy a '02 Intrigue in , say, August of 2002. Assuming the 5/60 warranty is still around, how much faith do you have in a chevy or pontiac dealer to work on your Intrigue and readily find parts in ~2006/2007.
    Hell, if you need a major repair done today, while the car is still in production, it is forever and a day before they even get the parts in. Imagine 4-5 years after production stops. Backed by GM--what a joke!
  • Options
    Guess what..Addison on Bay was the dealer i went to. It's $27k for GL with pcs & leather, cash purchase only or 0.9 financing, but not both.
    I am holding out for the 02. Black with chorme wheel and gold lettering.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Lets say you or I buy a '02 Intrigue in , say, August of 2002. Assuming the 5/60 warranty is still around, how much faith do you have in a chevy or pontiac dealer to work on your Intrigue and readily find parts in ~2006/2007.
    Hell, if you need a major repair done today, while the car is still in production, it is forever and a day before they even get the parts in. Imagine 4-5 years after production stops. Backed by GM--what a joke!
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I'm not worried. Hell, you can still get repairs and parts for Fiats and Peugeots. There are always some independent mechanics out there who specialize in certain lines.

The most unusual thing about the Intrigue is the 3.5. Keep it in good order and you're really no worse off than any car. Although, even that may not be such a big deal. Corvairs had a unique all-aluminum engine, and that was 30 years ago. People can still get them repaired.

Plus, by 2006 some Intrigues will be in the wrecking yard. If you need a piece of trim or a headlight lens, you can scavenge for it.
  • Options
    I would buy a third party warranty in addition to the 5/60. Gm, ford, chrysler were never known for their service. They are the big three but never top three in terms of service and quality control. The Ford dealership pisses me off everytime i have my car serviced.
  • Options
    I heard that the engines were going to be stocked up and that there would be no more built after December 2001.

The cars were going to be built for 2002. That may have changed since less than 20,000 intrigues have been sold so far this year. Auroras are stacking up on the lots too.

We have been on edmunds top 10 most active for the last two days!
  • Options
    redly_one : Up until a few years ago, my mom still drove a Fiero. She had no problem getting parts and that car was 10+ years out of production. Parts are no worry.

focus18 : Hummm.. I think Marvin Star might be another big one to try. I leased my Grand Prix from Addison. Great service there and they always wash your car after. Unfortunately they could not sell me an Intrigue (only lease),. so I didn't get another car there.

bz4 : Nice to see the forum come alive again. The group here is clearly interested in the Intrigue which says a lot about the character of the car. It's too bad more people didn't notice.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    As b4z stated before (no pun intended :), for a dying brand we sure are a lively bunch. And when you look at it, contrary to the talk of some that post here, we haven't been boo-hoo-ing about all the problems we're having. In fact it's the opposite... speculation on the future, modifications, etc. If this was my first time here, I wouldn't get the impression that the Intrigue was a horrible car. Just that a few select posters had problems and need an ax to grind.
  • Options
    Has anyone put 18" wheels on their Intrigue? I'm wondering if a 245/45-18 size wheel would make the ride too harsh. There are a lot of bad roads where I live, so wheel damage is a consideration. Maybe a 17" wheel would be a better choice.
  • Options
    Have you checked out TireRack.com? You can see what would fit your car and get to see how they will look in your car's color. They say they have 18" that will fit the Intrigue.
  • Options
    The 96 Caddy needed a new fuel pump/module, dealer had to drop the gas tank I guess..Major Guard covered the emergency roadside service,starting, fuel pump replacement and two days of car rental--GM in action..Rental car companies locate near Caddy dealers because they are major users of the service..You car owners wonder why GM is killing Olds--tell you why!! to finance the Caddy warranty programs..Having been a Caddy owner for 12 yrs(her cars), the dealer pounds the factory big time..

The funny side of the story is probably why the main GM engine series is still the antiquated 3.8 due to lack of funds to develop anything decent..The Northstar series V-8 is basically great but it has some real expensive burps.. The Shortstar in my 99 is also covered by an extended warranty due to the fact it is modeled after the V-8..When one drives cars covered by warranty action the abuse factor is somewhat greater and driving fun is increased twofold w/o worry; because if it scatters over the pavement; call an 800 number..

Now what could be easier???? Maybe its as good as Medicare..

Never abused the 3.8 because of its drony tone and rackety behavior.. one felt sorry for it; since it did complain..

Good forum--keep it stirred up..

One more thought before parting, I remember reading praise over Saab, Saturn, and Catera..My only choice would be Saturn if I was forced to buy in that group for GM has lost it's everloving buns in that venture; but the cars aren't too bad..The Catera is a real pipedream and a typical underpowered tank being sold as an autobahn cruiser propelled by a squirt 3.0 engine with a huge price tag.. The Saab is a strange animal, another good GM cash drainer..

For entertainment I am going over to the Mercedes C-class forum to catch up what is the latest complaint from the world of super fussy owners..The nearest Mercedes dealer to my house is 35 miles across town so based my criteria of having a good dealer selection available, I will have to pass on buying one..It's like marriage, no choice at times..

In my weekly oil level check of the 3.5; 1292 miles of rapid spinning has consumed approx a pint of Valvoline..when its down a qt. off to the dealer to change..
  • Options
    Drove the wife's Bonnie in to work today. Supposed to pick up the Intrigue tonight. Let's hope everything goes as planned and no tricks are pulled at the last second.

Anyway, I had forgotten how enjoyable the 3.8 is to drive when not on the highway! Goo-gobs of power. I had gotten used to the I-6 in the Envoy. Great on the highway, took a second to come to life from a slow roll. 3.5 w/o PCS felt quicker. Guess it should... it's a car. But if I had to trade one for the other, I'd take the 3.5 over the 3.8. Have to add that the 3.8 w/205 hp and 230lb-ft used in the Bonniville and friends moves better at highway speeds than the Intrigue's 3.8.
  • Options
    Are you getting PCS?
  • Options
    Also try tire america. keyword is "tire america".
    Some of the better looking wheels are not available in intrigue offsets. Don't know why.
    18" tires are noticeably more expensive than 17's.
  • Options
    9899olds : Catera is not as bad as you mite think. Check out the Edmund's small luxury comparison from last week. While not as peppy as it's competitors, it's no slouch. The reviewers were all surprised how good the car was.

one2one :Congrats on the new car. Let us know the details.
  • Options
    Passed on PCS because the car I drove was fine without it. Not to mention I could use a little help at the pump. The 3.8 ate me alive. I didn't get anywhere near the numbers the EPA said. Then again, couldn't resist smokin' kids in their suped-up Micro-machines!!!

dindak::: Thanks. If things go smoothly tonight, I'll give the details.
  • Options
    I was amazed to find out some of those Micro-machines can run 1/4 mile in under 11 seconds. I think they use nitrous though.
  • Options
    Take a look at this. At a quick glance it looks like an Intrigue. This is probably what Pontiacs sold here would look like if they didn't have all the body cladding. Holden has some nice machines they're putting out in the land-down-under. Too bad as North Americans we're too conservative to get anything like this. The Senator's interior looks really nice.

By the way. Holden makes Chevy's over there. Take a look at the Auto Show and click on "Lumina". If the Lumina looked like that, the current Impala could have been built like it was historically meant to be.
  • Options
    The main reason why we don't get here cars like the Holden Commodore SS is because of the EPA and our obsessive environmental government. CAFE regulations make it very difficult right now to Import these V8, RWD, 6-speed manual beasts.

There is a market for these cars in the US but fuel economy and environment regulations discourage these type of high performance sedans.

On the other hand, why the heck SUVs dominate the American driving scene??? The worst EPA offenders???

Also look for 2005 when the all new GM global large car platform known as 'Mid-Lux' will debut as a RWD platform. Grand Prix and Impala are confirmed recepients of these platform in 2005.

The Holden/Opel/Vauxhall Commodore/Omega/Caprice/Senator and the South African market only Chevrolet Lumina SS are all the same exact spin offs of the current Opel Omega. We get the bland Cadillac Catera version which is a direct derivate of all the Holden/Opel cars. The Holden Caprice is just a long wheelbase cadillac Catera.
  • Options
    Yeah, but it's a nice stretched Catera! :-)

But what's GM's excuse with the designs? They are much more interesting overseas without being gaudy.
  • Options
    To keep separate car line-ups for North America/Europe/Middle East/Oceania.

The "Invented here, Made here" motto has been the force benhind GM's platform/model segregation for many, many years. There are marketplace considerations as tastes/budgets/needs and wants of customer vary greatly from Country to Country or Continent to Continent. Because of this thinking we have such crappy cars as the Cavalier, when GM (Opel) sells world class small cars everywhere else in the world.

Fortunately GM has realized that we are already part of a Global Ecomomic Community and the successful implemetation of Global car platforms and economies of scale is the key to survive in the future and whatever new 'waves' the future might have in store for us.

The 'Delta', 'Sigma', 'Epsilon' and 'Mid-Lux' are a clear example of the strategy that GM has laid out for the next few years on which cars sharing these platforms will be offered in Global Markets with minor tweaks here and there to cater to the immediate needs of said markets. If GM can implement solid economies of scale we'll see a decrease of overlapping models, phasing out of old platforms and powertrains and an increase in quality and manufacturing efficiency.

VW has been the perfect example on this minus the quality equation that they somehow haven't been able to grasp. Until right before the release of the VW New Beetle in 1998, VW was an operation well into the 'Red' almost ready to pull from the North American market. That little 'Concept I' vehicle signaled the complete turn around of VW in the market place that they enjoy today. Also just read a report that VW will increase their basic warranty from the skimpy 2/24 coverage to 4/48. The 10/100 powertrain warranty will be made transferable. See? This is something that Olds could have done and they went in the opposite direction. The 'Classic' Aurora (1995-99) had the 4/50 warranty and the 2001 was launched with a lousy by comparison 3/36. Now the coverage was increased to 5/60 just to get rid of excess inventory but too late nevertheless.

All these magnificent changes at GM will be possible only if the top corporate culture is willing to accept them. GM's corporate culture is another problem and case study in itself.

Also keep in mind that the W-body platform will be phased out in 2005. We are buying the very last W-bodies. The last re-design based on a W-body platform was the Impala/Montecarlo. After that the 'Epsilon' and 'Mid-Lux' platforms will replace the W-body cars. Also the 3800 V6 will be phased out along with the W-bodies after 2005.
  • Options
    Of the upcoming 'Delta' and 'Epsilon' platform GM global cars....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3853&n=156,178&sid=178

• Options
    Holden makes some pretty cool stuff. Even if it was modified for the North American market, some of that would likely sell very well here.
  • Options
    teo: Are you employed in the automotive industry?
  • Options
    Nope. Why you ask? :)

I am a Computer Systems Engineer..but if I had one day the chance to work in Motor City I would not disregard such opportunity....

By the way....

did you see the Edmunds article about the new Nissan Altima?...Hot, hot:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/firstlook/articles/46727/article.html

Carlos Ghosn is the best thing that could ever had happened to Nissan.
  • Options
    Just wondering since you seem to be pretty involved in happenings in the industry. I've always dreamed of becoming a new car salesman. Maybe someday I'll get my wish...

The Altima is high on the list for next year, when my wife will get her new car. Also looking forward to checking out the new Max, Accord, and Camry. The Aurora 4.0 isn't out of the question either, if they are still making them.
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    When I grew up, there certainly wasn't a more stodgy line of cars than Chrysler. My grandparents ALWAYS drove Chryslers. LOTS of young people are flocking toward the PT Cruiser. I think Buick might be able to grab something. Of course the Bengal looks way more pricey than a PT Cruiser.

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0709/mitsu709.htm

Should Oldsmobile have done this? Maybe. I like the new icon or logo or whatever you call it (you know the oval thing that points forward and upward). I like the Aurora icon even better. Maybe I'll see if a junkyard has an Aurora icon and put that on the front end of my Intrigue instead.

Boy those new spy photos sure look great. That Saab is so handsome. And so is the Opel. If I were running GM, I'd dump Saturn altogether and replace them with Opels. That way, they could go for the import buyers with an already popular brand. Plus, they look European and European is a highly desireable look from what I hear and see. Plus, it'd give GM a cheaper European alternative just like VW is.

I'd like to point out that people who've posted here and have had problems with the Intrigue shouldn't be discounted. If nothing else, I hope we can all agree than the Intrigue's build quality is INCONSISTENT. It's like those of you/us who love the Intrigue seem unwilling to welcome those of you/us that do have problems. I hope we can all be more welcoming.

I agree with those that have posted about the speed of the 3.5 I was accelerating up to the freeway last night and looked down at the speedometer and I was unnoticeably at 85MPH When I slowed to 70, she seemed to say "is that all? Can't we keep goin?" I do love my powerful engine. I've never had any problems with acceleration off the line either. I find her quite powerful all around. (I blew past an ugly Impala on the way up the ramp. Boy was that a good feeling. I'll take my squeaks and rattles anyday over that ugly monster. Have you seen the interior? It's interior is more Buick than a Buick's interior.)

I find the front end a little quirky. It was nice back in 1997, really. But I think an update would've been good beginning with the 2000 model year. Just a little update. Perhaps bring the headlights flush with the fascia like on the new Aurora. There's always a little tweaking that could be done to improve the look even more. I've mentioned several times that I think the icon should be on the front fascia for visibility. The hood ornaments don't do anything unless they stand up. Has anyone seen pictures of the Antares interior? Man, I wish they could've duplicated more of that interior in the Intrigue. It's so handsome still, even today, six years later.

Does anyone else detest the daytime running lamps? They're so close together on the Intrigue and they're yellow... they look like two big yellow nostrils. They're very distinctive though, I'll give em that. My buddy calls em "the evil yellow eyes." LOL

I think Oldsmobile would've failed even sooner had they not switched. I believe fewer cars would've sold had they continued with their outdated lineup. If I were choosing an AARP mobile, I'd have certainly gone with Buick (because of their quality ratings) over Oldsmobile.

• Options
    Was the Impala driver racing you or even paying attention to you?

Sorry couldn't resist ;-)