Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    It's pretty simple really. GM didn't put any money into marketing after the first year "x-files" commercials. People still ask me what kind of car it is on a regular basis. Awareness after 4 years should be better than that. GMs lack of advertising killed Intrigue and Oldsmobile
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I got it from Ebay. It's a 1/2" drive 150 ft-lb click wrench made by Pittsburgh Tools. I think it was about $24 including shipping. Not something for the pro mechanic who's going to use it daily but it should be fine for my use of 2 or 3 times/year. I've checked it on our calibration equipment at work and it's within 2% at 50 and 100 ft-lbs.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I wonder where the gravesite for the company that bears his name will be :)
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    I remember those ads for the X-files movie. I think you got two free tickets for taking a test drive and if I remember, the car Scully and Moulder drove in the movie was an Intrigue. Anyway, I've got a question regarding wide open throttle(WOT) runs. This morning I was merging onto the interstate at a location that has a long uphill ramp. Traffic was light so I stayed on it and the tach peaked at just right over 6000 rpm in second before shifting to third. Had it close to 5500 in third before I looked at the speedo and noticed was in the triple digits. I had her wide open for probably close to a miniute and the sound from the engine was quite interesting. Maybe not a Ferrari or an exotic like that, but it sure did sound sweet for a midsize sedan and I've certainly never had a car before that loved to rev like that. But will this hurt the engine any? Redline on those engines is 6500 I believe and I just barely got it above 6 before it shifted. I also hit the A/C econ switch before laying into it as I know that kind of stuff can be hard on a compressor. Just curious if anyone thinks this is bad for the engine.
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    I developed brake pulsations in my 1999 Intrigue last weekend at 22,000 miles. The dealer ground the rotors yesterday. The invoice price was $200, but it was all done under warranty, no questions asked. I wonder though what will happen after the next 22,000 miles, after the end of the warranty. Will GM still accept responsibility for a bad design?
    Also, in driving the car today, I was not sure the problem had been completely fixed. The pulsation at high speed braking had stopped, but I thought I detected some pulsation just before coming to a stop.
    What are the immediate safety implications of the pulsations? I noticed the pulsation just before taking a 1000 mile trip. I took the trip anyway, before getting the problem fixed. Was that dumb?

The wheels had been touched only once by someone other than a GM dealer. 3,000 miles ago, I had the tires rotated by a service station near my house. The guy said he always uses a torque wrench (he showed it to me) and that he always uses the torque pressure recommended by the manufacturer. He showed me his wall chart, showing recommended torque wrench pressures for each make, and the pressure shown for the Intrigue was indeed the same as that shown in my owner's manual. I believe the guy did it right.

The dealer still has no clue about what is causing the driver's side door to lock itself after I close the door. The suspect this week was a wiring short in the front door, but that did not pan out. Frequency of occurrence is increasing, from about once every 2 or 3 weeks, when I first reported on this earlier this year, to several times a week now. It's still more an annoyance than a problem.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Saw couple of them today, looks about the same, the woodtrim seem darker. i think the new indigo blue with neutral leather and chrome wheel would look fabulous.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    FWIW, I think the 3.5 itself is capable of even higher RPM, and it was redlined at 6400 to protect the transmission. Just my own supposition.

I'm used to revving my 4 cyl cars pretty high. The valve covers will leak oil if you do this, but hey, cars should be fun to drive. If you want to protect your car, leave it in the garage.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I believe the 3.5L will rev higher also. The car really doesn't make a lot of power up there though. Revving it higher would get rid of the hole the power drops into after a gear change.
    3500 rpm seems to be the point where the engine goes from typical medium sized V6 to a real ball of fire. I know the car has no such feature, but it's almost like the valve timing changes or a turbocharger kicks in at that point.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    This is kind of a typical behavior for multi-valve engines. I can't say I really like it. I prefer to have a strong push from idle on to 6500RPM. ;^)
    3500 is the spot where that engine explodes. Back in the sixties they called that "getting up on the cam."
    Went up to cottage country 2 hours north of Toronto this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed sprinting on the highways and blowing by all these 4 banger Accords and Chrysler mini vans. 400 highway on the way home was jammed as usual, but I got to do some decent driving when we got back into the GTA. Wish I got to do more highway driving.

Friends of the friends we visited really liked the Intrigue. It's too bad there is only 1 year left to get one. ;-)
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    a few weeks ago, some guy in a Geo Metro (riding differently sized tires) passed me. Then he impatiently hopped from lane to lane in front of me until he found a hole to scoot through.

Hey, I'm willing to let complete idiots put as much distance between me and them as possible!!

He must have been absolutely creaming that little 3 cyl. engine, tho....
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    My wife has a 2000 Intique. A couple of our friends liked it so much that they had purchased their own. The oldest and highest mileage one is a '99 3.5L with 35,200 miles. Today, when I drove it I noticed a hardly perceptible pulsating roughness through the steering wheel when the car turned and braked simultaneously. It feels like some kind of bearing problem. The owner can not sense it but as I have been racing cars for decades I have a pretty good feel for mechanical irregularities at their beginning states.
    As I used to participate in this forum over a year ago, I remember all the discussions regarding steering shaft and/or half shaft problems. As the warranty as about to expire I wonder if someone who had those problems can recognize these symptoms. I want to advise her to take it to the dealer but, I am worried that they will simply refuse to acknowledge the problem as it appears to be in a very early stage. If it was not to the warranty expiring in 800 more miles I would advise her to drive the car until more pronounced symptoms appear.
    Any help from people who experienced the above problems would be appreciated.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Take a look at the latest concept to come from Cadillac, the new Cien.

I won't paraphrase. Here's the paragraph straight from the article:

Is there a possibility of production? "It's hard to make a business case," acknowledges the automaker's President of North American Operations, Ron Zarrella. But Cien may already have won an important champion in the form of Bob Lutz, the legendary "car guy," who is GM's new product czar. Stay tuned, say senior insiders. If new Cadillac products, like the CTS and Evoq, score with consumers, the Cien may suddenly make sense as a part of the expanding Caddy line-up.

Is this not the type of vehicle Caddy needs to improve it's image? The Prowler wasn't/isn't meant to have high volume production. But it DID get people into the showroom.

"It's hard to make a business case." Here's one Ronny, MAKE THE DIVISION PROFITABLE!

This is why Bob Lutz was an important move by GM. To keep soap salesmen like Zarella in check.

Looks like something that was designed in the late seventies by bertone or pininfarina.
    Yuck!
    WOW. What a nice car. I wish that they build that car. It would sell for sure.
    Interesting. B4z hates it; dindak loves it.

Someone here said that the word "polarizing" is over used. This is a classic case of the proper use of the word and an indication that it is not overused.

As for me, I like it a lot. Particularly from the top. The first picture of it reminds me a lot of the Acura NSX. From the top it has an (edgy) resemblence of Speed Racer's Mach 5. But that's just me :-)
    I like polarizing styling better than vanilla styling, one that neither thrills nor displeases (read Accord, Camry, Civic, Corolla, etc). Not polarizing for polarizing's sake (read Impala, Maxima, etc), but for good taste's sake (read Bonneville, XK8, etc). ;^)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I would suggest that something done in good taste is unlikely to be truly polarizing.

As for the latest concepts from GM, what can I say? Grotesque maybe, in the case of the Caddy and GMC. GM's design themes these days seem totally out to lunch. They seem to have lost their soul and are relying on computers to guide their designs. How sad.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Not bad but I prefer the styling of a Ferrari, that Bugatti supercar Veyron that was shown recently, Jag XJ220 or McLaren F1.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Steering Problme (axr6)-

I would also like to get to the bottom of this problem. I have a '98 "Autobahn" version of the Intrigue. The Intermediate halfshaft was replaced years ago and I am now at 55,000 miles.

Based on information I got on this forum I went to my dealer to get this problem fixed. I referred to GM TSB 010232002 regarding a front strut problem in early build Intrigues. They agreed to replace the struts with a $100 deductible.

After the fix the problem is reduced but it is still there! I agree that it seems to be a bad bearing or perhaps something loose in the steering. After driving 500 miles back from Ontario to Chicago last night I can say that I do not notice any problem when going straight (duh!) but when following a curve using cruise I can feel it. Before it seemed to be related to movement of the suspension. I would really like to get this problem nailed down as otherwise it is a great vehicle.

Re Rotors-

Based on my experience, the warped rotors are not likely to be caused by improper torquing after tire rotations. There are just too many people having problems even when the dealers are rotating the tires (including me). It has now been 13,000 miles since I had the rotors replaced under warranty and the problem has not returned. In my opinion machining the rotors to correct this problem is a waste of time and money, the problem will continue to return and you will have to replace the rotors anyway after many miles of aggravation.
    I see where Lehman Bros. issued a major earnings warning for GM today. Apparently sales are way down from projections, incentives have cut into profits big-time, and earnings are going to take a big hit this quarter compared to earlier expectations. Stock price is down $7 the last couple of trading days according to CNBC.

One wonders how long the current management regime will last if GM continues to flounder the way they are. Looks like Olds wasn't the only problem GM had. Maybe if they could design a good-looking car things would pick up.

• jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    dindak ::: >>> Went up to cottage country 2 hours north of Toronto this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed sprinting on the highways and blowing by all these 4 banger Accords and Chrysler mini vans <<<

Hey, I guess that means that you were not able to get pass the 6cyl. Accords. And I know you could not fly by the refined 225hp TL/CL hehehe <grin>.

Take it easy - - Life is short, play hard.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Seeing a picture of a base Impala under the hood, it looks like it has an STB standard as the Regal does. Perhaps it is only the Fairfield plant cars that don't get these things standard. Too bad as it does help chasis rigidity and steering response.
    jgriff : Most of the Accords on the road are cheap 4 bangers. Didn't see any 6ers. Most people couldn't tell the difference anyway.

ab348 : GMC Envoy is a complete sell out. The plant is working overtime to get more out there. Pickups are selling very well also as are Yukons. I guess the masses don't agree that GMC trucks don't look good. I think you just generally hate everything GM.
    Hey, it wasn't me who issued the earnings warning, it was Lehman Bros.

One success does not make a company. I like the Envoy myself, though not $45K worth. However, apparently the earnings warning was based in part on truck sales and/or profitability being eroded. Since GM is uncompetitive in the sedan market, that is a major red flag.

I am not a GM hater at all (see earlier posts) but I do think their current management is doing them a great disservice. You need to take off those rose-colored glasses.

Expect the new Camry and Altima to be huge sales successes.
    I would be very surprised if the Intrigue breaks 20,000 sales for the 2002 model year. Probably closer to 15,000.
    It is a shame.
    GM needs to offer incentives right away to keep up momentum and the factory running.
    Regal sales are really bad too. GM should have given the Intrigue and Regal the same wheelbase as the impala/grand prix.
    Had a duel with one this morning on the way into work. He put up a good fight until (you guessed it) 3500 rpm and then all he read was I-N-T-R-I-G-U-E on my rear. LOL. Dindak, you probably know what I'm talking about, it's like flicking a switch at that point. As for sales, I can't believe you only think they will sell 20,000 next year. The new Altima will be pretty popular as it FINALLY gets a decent mill under the hood, but I see absolutely nothing special about the new Camry. And the Intrigue is still better looking than both of them, despite entering it's 5th year of production. I don't know about you guys, but the Camry is one of those cars you just wish would go away. Same with the Honda Civic. Absolutely no personality to either of them, just a boring transportation appliance. I'll get off my soap box now. When I see one, I'm like "why?" when there are so many better looking and better performing cars out there for the same price or in some cases even less.

GMC Envoy, now that is one nice SUV. One heck of a powertrain too. I actually like if the best of the three with the Bravada a close second. I'm glad I got the Intrigue when I did as I don't really know what else there is in that price range that I really like. Some may disagree, but GM is VERY competitive in the sedan market. If they weren't then I certainly would not have ended up with the Intrigue.
    ab348 : Actually, until recently I was very critical of many things GM. I still think there is a lot that is crappy about the company but for the first time, I actually see a little light at the end of the tunnel. You say GMC trucks offer nothing great. Sales disprove your theory. You say an Envoy cost C$45K. So does a Pathfinder or and Exploder with the same equipment. You say GM is uncompetitive in the sedan market. Can't be that bad as they still sell more sedans than anyone in North America. Market share is being lost and things must change, not doubt about it. GM is actually GAINING market share in the truck market and with a slew of new cars coming soon, I'm hopeful things will change in the coming 5 years. I want GM to succeed and I suspect it will. I read your posts and get the feeling you believe nothing GM does is right.

mosaix : I know all about that switch. I love blowing in on the highway at a 120kph with the engine rip'n. Whoo ahhhh! Almost makes me wish I worked farther from home. ;-)
    Dindak wrote:
    >> You say GMC trucks offer nothing great. Sales disprove your theory.

I said nothing of the sort. I have no knowledge of GMC trucks at all. You must be attributing comments of others to me.

>> You say an Envoy cost C$45K. So does a Pathfinder or and Exploder with the same equipment.

True. I just don't see $45K of vehicle or value in any of them.

>> You say GM is uncompetitive in the sedan market. Can't be that bad as they still sell more sedans than anyone in North America.

Yes, it's amazing how many sedans Avis, Enterprise and Budget buy each year. :)

>> Market share is being lost and things must change, not doubt about it.

Here, we agree. I don't think much of their decisions so far to change things though.

If you want your intrigue to act like an NSX put it in 2nd gear and accelerate up to about 60-65 mph. Then take your foot off the gas. It makes the most incredible sound. Let the car deccelerate some then accelerate moderately hard again.
    The engine is the thing i miss most about my intrigue.
    "Grotesque maybe, in the case of the Caddy and GMC" is a quote from you. I guess you didn't say they had nothing to offer, but you are implying the trucks are ugly which is simply not the case.

"I just don't see $45K of vehicle or value in any of them". Then why single out the Envoy?

"it's amazing how many sedans Avis, Enterprise and Budget buy each year"

>> Actually, I think this is a major loss of sales for GM. Car rental companies are using more japanese cars than ever these days.

YES I agree more changes are needed BUT, I think they are finally moving in the right direction. Your comments indicate the opposite.
    Noticed a couple of 02 Intrigue at the local lot. I will have to pop in one evening and check them out. Last time I can do that with the Intrigue. Sad.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    1. Yes GM is making in-roads changes, but are they doing them fast enough to keep pace with the competition [and I'm referring to the rest of the world, not the other N.Am. two].

2. And are they (GM) hitting the quality marks/standards [ie. the TB/Envoy/Bravda all had out the chute recalls].
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I think the crank sensor is going on my 99 Intrigue. I'm going to stop in the parts store and pick up a scan tool to read the OBDII codes; it will also work for the Firebird, so I see it as a cheap investment. I am hoping there is someone out there still monitoring this thread that had a crank sensor replaced in a 99 3.5 engine; if so, please post the part number off of your invoice. I can get parts for half off list through gmpartsonline.com, but I need the part number to do so. Thanks.
    Today will be a good day despite whatever happens. Getting onto I-295 I had a beautiful green Trans Am Formula in front of me. Once the on-ramp ended, we both pulled out. No traffic beind us; none in front (the center and left lanes). Then we hit it. I didn't "smoke" him but I did edge him out to 80mph. Keep in mind we were rolling at about 35mph before flooring it.

What a rush! Boy that was fun! Can't wait to go home. Maybe I can pit it against a Corvette. I know I won't have a chance to win that one but it will be nice to see how long I can last against it.
    What are the symptoms of the crank sensor? Is it something that seems isolated to the '99 Intrigues?
    Intrigue does share its platform with Impala, Regal and Grand Prix.

The combined sales of this platform make it the best selling one in the US with a significant margin over the 2nd one, Camry.

Although fun-wise I think that any of these beat the Camry, it seems to offer more of what the consumers want. GM could learn a few tricks here...
    Wheelbase is 1 inch longer in the grand prix and impala.
    You are getting confused in your attributions. The "grotesque" comment applied to the GM concepts, specifically the Cien and GMC Terra4. I stand by that comment.

I did not "single out" the Envoy. As I said, I *like* the Envoy. The only reason I even made reference to it was in response to you raising it in defence of GM by describing it as a sell-out.

This is off-topic of Intrigue (the inept marketing of and ultimate cancellation of which was another huge GM mistake in my view) so we should close this off for now.

Different suspension anchoring makes the difference, but it's the very same base unibody. Just like the Crown Vic is slightly shorter than the Grand Marquis or the Continental/Town Car...
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The W Body platform was first offered by GM in the year 1988 when it switched from its RWD midsize sedans/coupes (G-Body) to FWD. The first models boasting the W Body platform (Or also known as GN-10 on GM's lingo) were all coupes. The Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix coupe. Later on in 1990 Chevy received the Lumina sedan/coupe and in 1991 Buick, Olds and Pontiac received the long overdue 4 door versions of the W body platform.

The W cars have been a cash cow for GM. The earlier samples had a ton of brake related problems and other relibility issues but they were generally dependable cars. Today's W Body cars are the second generation of the original 1988 W Body platform. The Regal, Grand Prix were re-designed last in 1997, the Intrigue came in 1998 (Replacing the Olds Cutlass Supreme) and finally the Impala, Montecarlo (Replacing the Lumina) in 2000. The Buick Century was an A-body car until 1996. In 1997 it was moved up to the W body platform.

If you come to think of it, your Intrigue, Impala, etc. etc is riding on a 13 year old platform...
    jgriff : "Fast enough" is impossible to judge. Can't predict the future. Time will tell.

ab348 : Yes, way off topic. Concepts are just that... concepts. I agree the Terra4 is scary, but it will never be built. I doubt the Cien will either, but I like it. Back to the Intrigue...

After reading a number of articles, my impression is that the next generation Grand Prix will have some Intrigue qualities to it. I really have high hopes for this car. It is crucial that GM have a solid mid size sport sedan or they will loses people like me next car around.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Actually no, the W-bodies current platform is not 13 years old, having been
    brand new in 97/98, although the pltaform name remained. Regardless of the
    owners and those now not (and who continue to haunt us here, although why
    is unknown), who perhaps have had bad experiences with the cars, the platform
    is considered to quite good in the industry.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    teo reminds me of Cliff from Cheers - it's a little known fact that the GM W-body....

dindak - I recently moved where I am further from work and there are lots of wide open roads on the way. My commute used to be 80% city driving, now it's about 80% open highways. The Intrigue is now getting the workout that it deserves. It gets to do 3500+ rpm quite often. I love living further from work! I can see why people doing mostly city driving would probably prefer the 3800.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    seems to be a relatively consistant problem with the 3.5 engine regardless of model year. I don't know for sure if this is the problem, but the wife said today that it is getting bad. Car starts and then almost dies, then idles up normally. It did die completely the other day and set the "check engine" light... which means there should be a code stored to point me in the right direction (hopefully).
    BTW, one2one, not trying to be a know-it-all, but there is no such thing as a Trans Am Formula, just like there is no such thing as a Impala Monte Carlo. Two different trim packages. The Formula looks just like a regular Firebird; no extraneous appendages like the Trans Am. And, no offense, but there has never been an Intrigue made that could stay with a new TA. If you ran with him, he was either: A) Not trying B)driving an old and tired TA or C) not trying. It's just a matter of about 375 hp vs 215. I know they're rated at 310-320 hp; they are actually underrated by about 20%; shhhhhh, don't tell the insurance companies. It is more fun than you can possibly imagine. My Intrigue runs and sounds wonderful, especially when it gets up "on the cam." But the Formula sounds like a Winston Cup car and it pulls hard from idle all the way to redline.
    Black 2001 GLS. Lets hear it from all current Intrigue owners. Your year, model, and color.
    The Z28 and Formula/Trans Am are kick [non-permissible content removed] cars. I can't believe GM is planning on dropping them with no immediate replacement in the works. With the Firebird gone, what is going to carry Pontiac's performance image? The Aztek? Heck, a big Cadillac Deville DTS is quicker than any other Pontiac model. So much for the performance division once the Firebird is gone.
    I guess Grand Prix GTP will be the performance beast for Pontiac now.

I've got a Silver 2000 GL with spoiler (a must).