Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,106
    You are getting confused in your attributions. The "grotesque" comment applied to the GM concepts, specifically the Cien and GMC Terra4. I stand by that comment.

I did not "single out" the Envoy. As I said, I *like* the Envoy. The only reason I even made reference to it was in response to you raising it in defence of GM by describing it as a sell-out.

This is off-topic of Intrigue (the inept marketing of and ultimate cancellation of which was another huge GM mistake in my view) so we should close this off for now.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Different suspension anchoring makes the difference, but it's the very same base unibody. Just like the Crown Vic is slightly shorter than the Grand Marquis or the Continental/Town Car...
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The W Body platform was first offered by GM in the year 1988 when it switched from its RWD midsize sedans/coupes (G-Body) to FWD. The first models boasting the W Body platform (Or also known as GN-10 on GM's lingo) were all coupes. The Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix coupe. Later on in 1990 Chevy received the Lumina sedan/coupe and in 1991 Buick, Olds and Pontiac received the long overdue 4 door versions of the W body platform.

The W cars have been a cash cow for GM. The earlier samples had a ton of brake related problems and other relibility issues but they were generally dependable cars. Today's W Body cars are the second generation of the original 1988 W Body platform. The Regal, Grand Prix were re-designed last in 1997, the Intrigue came in 1998 (Replacing the Olds Cutlass Supreme) and finally the Impala, Montecarlo (Replacing the Lumina) in 2000. The Buick Century was an A-body car until 1996. In 1997 it was moved up to the W body platform.

If you come to think of it, your Intrigue, Impala, etc. etc is riding on a 13 year old platform...
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    jgriff : "Fast enough" is impossible to judge. Can't predict the future. Time will tell.

ab348 : Yes, way off topic. Concepts are just that... concepts. I agree the Terra4 is scary, but it will never be built. I doubt the Cien will either, but I like it. Back to the Intrigue...

After reading a number of articles, my impression is that the next generation Grand Prix will have some Intrigue qualities to it. I really have high hopes for this car. It is crucial that GM have a solid mid size sport sedan or they will loses people like me next car around.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    Actually no, the W-bodies current platform is not 13 years old, having been
    brand new in 97/98, although the pltaform name remained. Regardless of the
    owners and those now not (and who continue to haunt us here, although why
    is unknown), who perhaps have had bad experiences with the cars, the platform
    is considered to quite good in the industry.
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    teo reminds me of Cliff from Cheers - it's a little known fact that the GM W-body....

dindak - I recently moved where I am further from work and there are lots of wide open roads on the way. My commute used to be 80% city driving, now it's about 80% open highways. The Intrigue is now getting the workout that it deserves. It gets to do 3500+ rpm quite often. I love living further from work! I can see why people doing mostly city driving would probably prefer the 3800.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    seems to be a relatively consistant problem with the 3.5 engine regardless of model year. I don't know for sure if this is the problem, but the wife said today that it is getting bad. Car starts and then almost dies, then idles up normally. It did die completely the other day and set the "check engine" light... which means there should be a code stored to point me in the right direction (hopefully).
    BTW, one2one, not trying to be a know-it-all, but there is no such thing as a Trans Am Formula, just like there is no such thing as a Impala Monte Carlo. Two different trim packages. The Formula looks just like a regular Firebird; no extraneous appendages like the Trans Am. And, no offense, but there has never been an Intrigue made that could stay with a new TA. If you ran with him, he was either: A) Not trying B)driving an old and tired TA or C) not trying. It's just a matter of about 375 hp vs 215. I know they're rated at 310-320 hp; they are actually underrated by about 20%; shhhhhh, don't tell the insurance companies. It is more fun than you can possibly imagine. My Intrigue runs and sounds wonderful, especially when it gets up "on the cam." But the Formula sounds like a Winston Cup car and it pulls hard from idle all the way to redline.
  • mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    Black 2001 GLS. Lets hear it from all current Intrigue owners. Your year, model, and color.
  • mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    The Z28 and Formula/Trans Am are kick [non-permissible content removed] cars. I can't believe GM is planning on dropping them with no immediate replacement in the works. With the Firebird gone, what is going to carry Pontiac's performance image? The Aztek? Heck, a big Cadillac Deville DTS is quicker than any other Pontiac model. So much for the performance division once the Firebird is gone.
    I guess Grand Prix GTP will be the performance beast for Pontiac now.

I've got a Silver 2000 GL with spoiler (a must).
  • ratoxratox Posts: 12
    Symptom: hard starting when engine is warm, lots of cranking, finally the check engine light comes on. Code: P0385. Part Number: 10456594. Description: Sensor 2.383 R.
  • david161david161 Posts: 20
    After reading the recent posts here, I have been noticing a slight, barely perceptible, repeated clunking or thudding through the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. Is that the beginning of the steering shaft problem? Does anyone have views on whether I should get this looked at now or whether I should wait to see if it gets worse?
    Having had the rotors polished last week under warranty, I am not convinced the problem is fixed. I am feeling very slight pulsations when braking at low speeds.
  • redly_oneredly_one Posts: 122
    I used to have a 95 Cutlass Convertible with the 3.4L DOHC. I had alot of fun racing a guy in a Z-28 once.
    In case you are wondering, the 3.4L DOHC was not at all like the 3.4L V6 GM uses today. It had about the same HP and Torque as the Intrigue, but growled louder and shifted much harder. You could really burn em' off the line too. Glad I never had to replace one of those $500 timing belts though.

RE: white6 I had a crankshaft sensor replaced on my 3.5L. Not sure if it is a dealership internal part number, but the invoice lists it as #10456594, Description-Sensor 2.383, $87.88. I hope that helps

Check in: mine's a 99 Silver GX w/ sunroof

About the W-bodies being 13 years old. Don't feel bad, I read in the Crown Vic/Maquis forum that their cars are riding on a 1979 platform!
  • focusfocus Posts: 225
    Dindak: why is the spoiler a must? Isn't it only functional, say above 160 kph (96mph). Most reviewers don't like them. Still don't have an intrigue yet.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Impala and grand prix have more rear seat legroom than regal/century/intrigue. Impala has a one piece door sill ring and rear fender. Noticeably stronger than intrigue/regal. Less squeaks and creaks and better crash protection.
    Current wbody is derived from the 1988, but is different and has longer wheelbase.
    Email me at rwebb@prucar.com. 1415 may be able to help you with the crankshaft sensor problem.
    If you already have his email you can contact him directly.
    focus : Spoiler makes the car look better and it has the nice LED brake lights in it giving the car a more up scale look. Functionally it's not a lot of use. Have you not seen any 2002s yet? There were two at Towne Chev Olds in Oakville on Monday.

b4z : While the Impala does have it's good points, the interior and rear end looks were enough to drive me away. If Chevy fixed those two things, they would probably sell a lot more Impalas.
    I've got a forest green '99 GL (3.5L) with leather. No spoiler, it messes up the beautiful lines.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Crusin' in a 2001, Midnight Blue, neutral leather GL WITH spoiler (hehehe!). No pinstripe... I let the sun create those lines from the Meguiar's reflection :-)

Wood package coming soon.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    for the info. Man, ask and ye shall receive! Wife says the Intrigue is now stubbling upon acceleration... almost sounds like a fuel problem. I'll pick up the scanner today and see what kind of code has been saved.
    Our 99 black/neutral leather GL does not have a spoiler. I agree about spoiling the clean lines of the car; wife thought it looked better but wasn't a deal breaker for her so she let it go. Only thing I like about the spoiler cars is that they don't have the third brake light sticking up out of the rear package shelf blocking some of the rear view. In that way the spoiler is actually functional. I can get an factory spoiler for $200 but then I would have to change out the rear package shelf or I would have TWO third brake lights (third and forth?). I think if I do anything I might try to find a set of chrome Intrigue wheels to exchange with the silver painted ones. Chrome with the shiney "Zaino-ed" black exterior would really look great.
    Pontiac seems to be headed toward a division of many different size/shape Aztek-type vehicles. What a sad turn of events. This Formula will probably be my last new Pontiac...
    Don't write off Pontiac just yet. Cleaner lines are in store for Grand Prix and Grand Am in the coming years. While Aztek is a little scary, Vibe looks very good. I suspect there will be a new performance vehicle to replace Firebird announced soon.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,106
    Holy cow, I can't believe this. According to autoextremist.com, former GM design chief Chuck Jordan wrote a letter to Automotive News saying:

"The Bob Lutz move to General Motors is the most positive news I've heard about GM in years. The next step is to replace Wayne Cherry with a design chief who knows the difference between 'ugly' and 'elegant' and has the guts, creativity and judgment to lead GM design -- someone like Tom Gale."

Yikes! Didn't Cherry used to work for Jordan?

This is what I've been saying all along. I imagine there are lots of uneasy people at GM right now...

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    I saw a picture of the body of the next-gen GP before GM lawyers forced the people hosting it to remove it from their web site. Looked a lot like the current Bonneville. Ofcourse, no telling how much black plastic will be on the bottom of it a la Aztec and Vibe.

Vibe pic
    Restyled Aztek will be out in the coming months with out the black plastic ribs. It will look a lot like the Salsa concept from what I hear. Vibe looks good though it's more for the younger folks. It will likely be a big hit.
    I'm sick of seeing these vehicles with black plastic body panels and bumpers. It has CHEAP written all over it. It's worse than the Pontiac body cladding.
    Have you guys been out to eBay Motors lately? It looks like someone took an Intrigue apart and is selling the parts, piece by piece.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Not a big fan either. What is with the Avalanche? Is a weekly armour-alling of the lower half of the vehichle a requirement?
    Chevy could have done the Avalanche all in sheetmetal and it would have sold better AND been better looking.
  • tcjefftcjeff Posts: 23
    I have read some references in this forum to "clunking" or a shudder or other perceived sensations coming through the steering wheel or from the front suspension. I am just beginning to feel these sorts of things in my 1999 Intrigue after 29,000 miles - this occurs not specifically just when turning but sometimes also going over small bumps. Can this be part of this steering shaft problem, and what should I do about it? Any info would be helpful.
    tcjeff - I have a '99 Intrigue too, and mine had the same symptoms you describe. I took it in and they replaced the steering shaft and the problems went away. Get it in before that warranty expires!