Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ratoxratox Member Posts: 12
    Symptom: hard starting when engine is warm, lots of cranking, finally the check engine light comes on. Code: P0385. Part Number: 10456594. Description: Sensor 2.383 R.
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    After reading the recent posts here, I have been noticing a slight, barely perceptible, repeated clunking or thudding through the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. Is that the beginning of the steering shaft problem? Does anyone have views on whether I should get this looked at now or whether I should wait to see if it gets worse?
    Having had the rotors polished last week under warranty, I am not convinced the problem is fixed. I am feeling very slight pulsations when braking at low speeds.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I used to have a 95 Cutlass Convertible with the 3.4L DOHC. I had alot of fun racing a guy in a Z-28 once.
    In case you are wondering, the 3.4L DOHC was not at all like the 3.4L V6 GM uses today. It had about the same HP and Torque as the Intrigue, but growled louder and shifted much harder. You could really burn em' off the line too. Glad I never had to replace one of those $500 timing belts though.

RE: white6 I had a crankshaft sensor replaced on my 3.5L. Not sure if it is a dealership internal part number, but the invoice lists it as #10456594, Description-Sensor 2.383, $87.88. I hope that helps

Check in: mine's a 99 Silver GX w/ sunroof

About the W-bodies being 13 years old. Don't feel bad, I read in the Crown Vic/Maquis forum that their cars are riding on a 1979 platform!
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Dindak: why is the spoiler a must? Isn't it only functional, say above 160 kph (96mph). Most reviewers don't like them. Still don't have an intrigue yet.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Impala and grand prix have more rear seat legroom than regal/century/intrigue. Impala has a one piece door sill ring and rear fender. Noticeably stronger than intrigue/regal. Less squeaks and creaks and better crash protection.
    Current wbody is derived from the 1988, but is different and has longer wheelbase.
    Email me at rwebb@prucar.com. 1415 may be able to help you with the crankshaft sensor problem.
    If you already have his email you can contact him directly.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    focus : Spoiler makes the car look better and it has the nice LED brake lights in it giving the car a more up scale look. Functionally it's not a lot of use. Have you not seen any 2002s yet? There were two at Towne Chev Olds in Oakville on Monday.

b4z : While the Impala does have it's good points, the interior and rear end looks were enough to drive me away. If Chevy fixed those two things, they would probably sell a lot more Impalas.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've got a forest green '99 GL (3.5L) with leather. No spoiler, it messes up the beautiful lines.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Crusin' in a 2001, Midnight Blue, neutral leather GL WITH spoiler (hehehe!). No pinstripe... I let the sun create those lines from the Meguiar's reflection :-)

Wood package coming soon.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    for the info. Man, ask and ye shall receive! Wife says the Intrigue is now stubbling upon acceleration... almost sounds like a fuel problem. I'll pick up the scanner today and see what kind of code has been saved.
    Our 99 black/neutral leather GL does not have a spoiler. I agree about spoiling the clean lines of the car; wife thought it looked better but wasn't a deal breaker for her so she let it go. Only thing I like about the spoiler cars is that they don't have the third brake light sticking up out of the rear package shelf blocking some of the rear view. In that way the spoiler is actually functional. I can get an factory spoiler for $200 but then I would have to change out the rear package shelf or I would have TWO third brake lights (third and forth?). I think if I do anything I might try to find a set of chrome Intrigue wheels to exchange with the silver painted ones. Chrome with the shiney "Zaino-ed" black exterior would really look great.
    Pontiac seems to be headed toward a division of many different size/shape Aztek-type vehicles. What a sad turn of events. This Formula will probably be my last new Pontiac...
    Don't write off Pontiac just yet. Cleaner lines are in store for Grand Prix and Grand Am in the coming years. While Aztek is a little scary, Vibe looks very good. I suspect there will be a new performance vehicle to replace Firebird announced soon.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Holy cow, I can't believe this. According to autoextremist.com, former GM design chief Chuck Jordan wrote a letter to Automotive News saying:

"The Bob Lutz move to General Motors is the most positive news I've heard about GM in years. The next step is to replace Wayne Cherry with a design chief who knows the difference between 'ugly' and 'elegant' and has the guts, creativity and judgment to lead GM design -- someone like Tom Gale."

Yikes! Didn't Cherry used to work for Jordan?

This is what I've been saying all along. I imagine there are lots of uneasy people at GM right now...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I saw a picture of the body of the next-gen GP before GM lawyers forced the people hosting it to remove it from their web site. Looked a lot like the current Bonneville. Ofcourse, no telling how much black plastic will be on the bottom of it a la Aztec and Vibe.

Vibe pic
    Restyled Aztek will be out in the coming months with out the black plastic ribs. It will look a lot like the Salsa concept from what I hear. Vibe looks good though it's more for the younger folks. It will likely be a big hit.
    I'm sick of seeing these vehicles with black plastic body panels and bumpers. It has CHEAP written all over it. It's worse than the Pontiac body cladding.
    Have you guys been out to eBay Motors lately? It looks like someone took an Intrigue apart and is selling the parts, piece by piece.
    Not a big fan either. What is with the Avalanche? Is a weekly armour-alling of the lower half of the vehichle a requirement?
    Chevy could have done the Avalanche all in sheetmetal and it would have sold better AND been better looking.
  • tcjefftcjeff Member Posts: 23
    I have read some references in this forum to "clunking" or a shudder or other perceived sensations coming through the steering wheel or from the front suspension. I am just beginning to feel these sorts of things in my 1999 Intrigue after 29,000 miles - this occurs not specifically just when turning but sometimes also going over small bumps. Can this be part of this steering shaft problem, and what should I do about it? Any info would be helpful.
    tcjeff - I have a '99 Intrigue too, and mine had the same symptoms you describe. I took it in and they replaced the steering shaft and the problems went away. Get it in before that warranty expires!
    Ditto.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Mine too- a silver mist/dark charcoal interior 2000 (built dec. 99) GL "typeR" (emblems added, confounds Honda drivers!) , with spoiler- a must have.
    Why, to those who say its not needed...
    while its functionality is questionable- its higher profile allows easier placing of the back end while reversing, and it adds some wedge looks to what I felt was a 'droppy" butt look.
    15k miles so far, and running great afer moderate to hard driving, and even some track time at Road America recently.
    I still can't believe you got to drive Road America. I'm so jealous!! Good CART race this past weekend there.

As for the Intrigue spoiler.. I think it just makes the car look sportier and more up scale. The LED brake lights are the added bonus. I actually did not want to pay for one initially, but I'm glad my wife pushed me to get it.

What's the "TypeR" in reference to?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    There is only one 'Genuine' TypeR Honda vehicle...

The 1998-2000 Acura Integra coupe TypeR.

No A/C is available in that model to reduce weight.

Some of the Folgers Coffee can crowd love to add these TypeR and TypeS stickers to their Asian mobiles all over the car..
    ketch: where did you get the TypeR emblems? I want to put some on my Intrigue. Do you have to special order them for the Intrigue?
    I have the spoiler on my Intrigue and like it on most colours, but I must say I like the OSV MSD Intrigue spoiler more.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    I checked out Tirerack.com and found what I think are some pretty good prices. Has anyone on this thread recently bought tires from them? Were you happy? I'm not sure how objective the customer feedback is on their own website so I'd like to ask ya'll.
    Also, someone once posted about load-balancing tires. Is this different from spin-balancing? Better?
    I have 41K mi on my white 99 GL 3.8L and luvin' it! Waiting for deals on the 2002s so I can pick one up and experience the sweet 3.5 motivation.
    Are you still out there?

Anyone know what happened to him?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    I think they are available in most specialty performance shops. I was in such a place a few weeks ago and they had all these "R" emblems and decals for sale. Showing my age here: I was baffled by them because I thought they looked for all the world like old 1960s-vintage Rambler emblems. At least I didn't show my ignorance by asking... :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Cruising in a black 2001 GLS with chrome wheels, gold badging, and rear spoiler. The Intrigue looks good with or without the spoiler. I personally like it with the spoiler and as someone mentioned, the LED third brake light is neat. One question, when did PCS become available? I have only seen one other Intrigue ever that had it. You can tell by the badge on the rear. I now have 2000 miles on mine.
    Not all PCS eqiuped Intrigues have badges. I've seen lots that don't, especially GX models.
    Sounds like my experience with tiny clunks coming up through the steering wheel is not all that unusual.Because of this forum I know what it is and what is to be done. Without it, I probably would have gone on thinking I was imagining a problem. Thanks everyone.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    David161-
    I assume that this means that you will get the intermediate shaft replaced. Let us know if you do and if this cures the problem.

I plan on going to my Olds dealer tomorrow to request that my intermediate shaft be replaced a second time.
    During my intrigue ownership i kept telling my service department what needed to be fixed because of what i had found on the internet.
    They told me that we didn't know what we were talking about.
    So far we are batting about .900 and they were at about .100.
    Now i am considering purchasing a Caddy CTS in about a year, and the thought of dealing with that service department curls my toes.
    mosaix - I think PCS was offered first with the 2000 model year. I have a '99 and I know it wasn't offered then.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Can someone share the experiences of driving an Intrigue with the 3.8 and with the 3.5, their virtues and vices?

TIA
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    it has been a while, but I see that people are still continuing to have the tired old intermediate shaft problems [does not really surprise me].

All the regular posters here on this board felt that it was limited to the first year's 98, and maybe a few 99's production models.

Is this still the case or has it creep into the 2000 & 01 lines??

And why does a person have to get same I-shaft fixed more than once?? Seems like such a waste of everyone time, to install faulty/shoddy parts.

Shame on GM/Olds, for NOT truly addressing the problems, and simply doing a temporary patch-it jobs. I feel for people after the warranty period expires, especially those that only have the 3/36 plan, and NO extended warranty.

How's everyone rotors holding up??
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    I guess jgriff is an expert about time wasting, hanging out in discussion for a car he used to own.

30,000 miles and my rotors are fine, thanks for asking.

And they got rid of 9899, go figure.
    Good one racer_X! If I had an Acura I don't think I would be hanging out in an Oldsmobile forum either.
    You ever wonder why people here get annoyed with with you? You peeve everyone off, go away from a while and then creep back in and do it all again. You have not had an Intrigue for well over a year, LET IT GO. We all know you love Hondas and they are the best thing in the world.

Your smug and snide comments are not appreciated here. I think the people at the Honda forum want to talk to you though. They are more your type.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Careful, careful.

We're here to talk about the vehicle, folks, not each other. Please remember that no one forces you to respond to a post which aggravates you, and that responding only encourages the argument to escalate.

As you all know, posts that are not made civilly, respectfully and on-topic are subject to being removed. Let's just talk about things relevant to the Intrigue and play nicely. :-)

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    10-4. Nuff said.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    teo: ya, I know Honda only makes "real" type R versions (for Europe and Japan markets), but having seen one on a modified Accord, wanted to add one to my car anyways.

To those who are looking for one, the emblems from most tuner shops online had the "Honda"
    or honda model name in it, and i just wanted the "typeR" part, which i found online
    at a shop in Canada, but so far cannot find the web url or name (www.northernmotorsports
    or similar i think.) I'll look for the name and URL some more when i get time.

Also added script "TwinCam 24V" and "LX5/3.5L" decals from www.firebatscave.com who
    made these to order (cheaply too)

So.... until someone can tell me how to post picts here (?) I will simply say i have the small
    charcoal colered twincam 24 v emblems under the left tailite, and one each above the GL emblems on the car's side. I placed the larger LX5/3.5L decal below the right taillite (like
    was doen with the similar Camaro 's emblems for LT1's, and also place one each of these on the side just behind the side marker's. The typeR emblems were added on to the left of the rear
    lic. plate pocket, and another on the hood above the right front headlite.

If someone could tell me how to post picts here i will do that, thanks-ketch
    Use this coding, but replace the ( and ) with < and >:

(img src="http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0001/www.edmunds.com/pictures/82726.jpg")

Or: (img src="Photo URL address")

Can't wait to see your Intrigue TypeR pics!

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... but please be sure that the pictures you display in your messages using that method are ones that you actually own, due to copyright issues. It sounds like that's what you will be doing, so give it a shot and let us see them. You'll find similar assistance here in the Owners Club: KarenS "Intrigue Owners: Photo Gallery" Apr 9, 2001 11:36am.

If anyone wants folks to see pics that you do not own, a link to that site (rather than the img src tags) is the way to show it to us.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Called the dealer today and described the steering clunks. He asked what kind of car I drive. I told him 99 Intrigue. He said it sounds like the steering shaft. He said repair/replacement could wait until the next oil change, and I imagine that is what I will do.
    Are you still here? I haven't heard from him lately.
    Email me at rwebb@prucar.com and i can get you in touch with him.
    Well at 2000 miles and a bit over a month of ownership I have no problems to report. I do have to admit that NO car should have problems at that point and we'll have to give this one some more time, but I do know people have had problems with a new car immediately after taking delivery. Even after reading some of these posts, I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about my Intrigue as it ages. First off, if it does have a problem I've got the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. Second, I have the service manual and since I have a habit of doing some of my own repairs on vehicles anyway, I can do some repairs myself. But lastly, this is an Oldsmobile not a Hyundai or Kia. Or even a Dodge. I've owned Oldsmobiles in the past and found them to be very good cars. My father owned several in a row before he graduated up to Buicks and Cadillacs. I think Olds was GM's most progresive division after Cadillac and am disappointed to see them being dropped. Hopefully, Oldsmobile's styling and designs will filter over to Saturn and Chevy. I think Pontiac is beyond hope with some of their new designs and I now question Buick as well. I hate to see classic well known nameplates go(especially when half-assed brands like Kia and Daewoo are cropping up) but I can easily see a GM with Chevrolet, Saturn, either Pontiac or Buick(but not both) Cadillac, GMC, and Saab.
    No posts in 24 hours, wow!

b4z, I don't really need to get in contact with 9899olds, I was just curious were he had been lately. His posts are always rather amusing and he typically posts alot of responses. I guess he's out improving on that golf game.