Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I've had my 2001 GLS for nearly 3 months now and already racked up nearly 5500 miles and so far, I really enjoy this car alot. I do have one complaint though and it pertains to the climate control system. Mine has the automatic climate control system and this is a feature I look for on a car and while this one heats and cools well, the control itself could use better programming. Take this morning, it was about 48 degrees out when I left to go to work and the car was wet with dew and light fog. This was all on the exterior of the windshield so the wipers would wipe it off. The system was set at 70 full auto(which I typically leave it at) and with most systems like this, it would have gone into heat(floor) mode and held the blower off until the engine warmed. But this one decided I needed defog which blows some air to the floor and some to the windshield and if above 40, engages the A/C compressor. So, it's 48 degrees and the car is damp and cool and obviously the engine has not had time to warm up and I've got cold A/C air blowing on the windshield and at my feet. Remember, the fog and dew were on the exterior, but the cold air blowing on the windshield from the inside caused it to start fogging up on that side as well. I finally just hit the off button and waited a couple of minutes for the engine to warm up then turned it back on. I know this is rather minor and it can be solved by just manually putting the system in floor mode and selecting econ, but I like the idea of the fully automatic system, I just wish it wouldn't automatically choose the defog mode. Okay, there is my rant. I still like the car alot, just a bit frustrated by that oversight.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Man, I thought i was a glutton for punishment. Everytime i find myself looking at an intrigue to long i think of Darryl and Darryl the moody service writers at my ex-olds dealership.
    Or is that Mutt and Jeff.
    If i were 1way i would start at 14K, and if they didn't take it walk away.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    While oldsman01 may disagree, I just want to comment that I really like the auto climate control systemin my Intrigue. In my opinion, it seems to work just right with the ability to select the correct mode. I just leave it in "auto" and will only adjust it to either 70 or 72 degrees depending on how I am feeling. I really recommend this system and would be loath to give it up. By the way, I was driving around in a Buick Rendezvous for 4 days which, despite its supposedly $28-30,000 price, did not have the automatic temperature system.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    b4z : I'll still take an Intrigue over an Impala any day.

jg28 : Did you test a 4 or a 6 cyl model?

mfd37 : Congrats! I don't think there is any common fit and finish issue. The cars all seem to have unique issues in this regard. A 2002 model should be pretty good. The worst ones are the 98s (as I'm sure you would guess).
  • mfd37mfd37 Member Posts: 15
    I've seen this at the dealer and I think a better description would be Pea Green Metallic. If it fades with age, you'll have a lima bean colored car. Not for me..... thanks.
    Sat in an altima over the weekend. Neat looking car. Had good legroom but the sunroof impinged on headroom. Dash was very low as was the steering wheel. Gauges are set back too far in their bezels. Console is hard plastic. Opened the back door and the handle slipped out of my hand. Made a cheap tin drum sound.
    Car is pretty cool and neat looking but i think it is a little overpriced when heavily optioned.
    Intrigue/impala have a much more open feeling and feel roomier especially in the backseat. Better visibility.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    All GM has to do is transfer Intrigue parts to Regals and Gran Prixs. They have the same platform, so what's the problem? Who cares about the divisional grille and tailight differences these days? A Pontiac or Buick will suffice.

GM mitakenly thought the Intrigue would sell it self, but buyers didn't know where to get one. Also, older buyers wanted a "new Cutlass or 98" and walked out when they couldn't get one. If it had a Saturn name on it, we wouldnt be playing "Taps" for it
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I recall seeing a lot of Intrigue advertising. I don't think the problem is due to a lack of advertising. Renaming the line may have been an error. Perhaps the wrong targets got the advertizing (I have an Aurora).
    I do like the automatic climate control overall and it worked perfectly in summer and this IS a feature I look for in a car, I just wish it would not choose the "defog" mode automatically. I like to leave it in the full auto mode, but when I select econ, I want the A/C compressor to stay off, but if the system thinks it needs defog and puts it in that mode, the compressor turns on. It's supposed to be in the upper 30s tomorrow morning so I'll see how it does then. My only other complaint with the system is that I wish it had a button on the display to choose between set and outside temp. Several years ago I had an 89 Olds which had auto climate control and it worked perfectly and let you choose between set and outside temp display.
    I remember some(not alot) of ads for the Intrigue back in 98 and through most of 99. They seemed to really plug the car alot during the summer of 98 when Olds did the promo with th X-files movie. However, within the past year or so, I don't think I've seen an ad for the Intrigue at all. In fact, Oldsmobile advertising was pretty much nil until the decision last December to phase the brand out. Then we started seeing the "whole line" ads. I have seen some 2002 Bravada ads recently. I think Olds should have marketed this car and the rest of their cars better in recent years.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    30 pieces???? Geez! Where would you put all that? All I would want is a center console piece and some that went up and enhanced the radio/hvac control center. Maybe a couple pieces on the doors and that's about it. The burlwood is nice but I'd really like something lighter... in maple. Where's a good place to get something in the five pieces? How difficult is it to install? Did you do it yourself or have a professional do it? I don't blame ya about the pictures not getting posted. I've been meaning to post my pics of the relocated rocket insignia and haven't done it yet (no digital cam).

Dindak, it was a v6 that I test drove. The tranny was smoother or the engine; nice 17inch wheels too. Very very nice power. I thought the interior was nice even though everyone says it's hard plastic. It's certainly not the cheap plastic that's on the underside of our Intrigues.
    jg28 : Sounds good. I'll have to pop by the local Nissan dealer and check one out one day.

oldsman01 : I agree. Zero advertising since the x-files campaign. Oldsmobile really needed to hammer home performance if they wanted to change their image. Imagine an Intrigue in place of the 02 Altima in those new ads. Now THAT WOULD HAVE SOLD INTRIGUES!!!
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    To all of you who helped me along in buying a new intrigue, much appreciated. Picked up my new intrigue yesterday. Paid $25215 cdn less my trade in and my gm points, net difference $12000 tax in.
    Purchased with cash from Wilson in Richmond hill.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I think that Olds missed its target in what advertising it did, but that isn't the whole problem. One basic problem is that the Olds line was aimed at the "European sedan" market. But lets face facts, FWD is not going to get this market segment in any big way. With the Aurora, I think pricing is a big problem. But the V8 probably costs about $3000 more to build than the 3800 does. Now that the Olds line is terminating, I'm not sure that they should "waste" a lot of money on advertising. They do need to do some advertising, but the Olds marketing division is winding down.
    DISGUSTING - in one word. I told them three times not to buff up the car as it will leave swirl mark on it. They ignored this simple request and when i picked it up, i can see fine scratch mark all over my dark blue car! I guess GM's motto is give us full price (saturn) for excellent service, or else...
    Spent 3.5 hours at dealership on closing date, they worked you all over from a $1000 difference to $200, they made you wait and wait and intended to wear you down. To get the best deal, you must prepared to walk away.
    With all these dealerships, i found a severe lack of product knowledge, response time is from none to 2 weeks. Most would like to charge me the same profit margin as in other time of the year.
    I don't know the difference between pcs and non-pcs, as i never own one before.
    Now I have to look for some really good polish and wax to fix this scratch problem.....
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Check these sites out. Make sure to look at the pattern. 30 pieces sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Some pieces look like one. For example, surrounding the center air vent I have a piece but there's also one that covers the center of the vent... it's confusing. Look at the first link to get a picture of what I'm saying.

Yep, did it all by myself. I used a blowdryer. In fact, the only things you'll really need are a blowdryer and regular rubbing alcohol. The instuctions basically say to position the piece BEFORE removing backing (belive me, you don't want to try pulling it off), clean area w/alcohol, wipe provided expoxy onto area, heat the wood so it's flexible, remove the backing and place in desired spot. I added a little more to that. I also heated the dash where I was going to place the wood. That way when the wood cooled, the dash and wood would constrict at a similar rate. It's best to do this when the weather is warm (hot really).

Joshua Wood Trim

Exotic Wood Dash

Custom Auto Trim

Wood Dash Factory

Do not fret, my friend. If you are going to use Zaino products, they're be gone anyway. You can also use Meguiars "Scratch X". It's supposed to remove swirl marks. I say "supposed" because I use another one of their polishes (I assume a cheaper version) in the red bottle. It's part of a 3 step process and the 2nd step is the polish. It works GREAT for me... and like I said, that's one of their cheaper polishes. I do finish it up with their "Gold Class" wax.

Because of the weather, I haven't hand washed it in over a month. I've sent it thru the car wash 2x during that period. I can begin seeing swirls if I get really close. But even in direct sunlight, if you don't know they're there, you won't. And the shine and finish even when dirty are incredible! We saw another Intrigue next to us on the road, same color (Midnight Blue), and it was obvious they didn't "care for" the paint. Was clean and shined, but not like mine. And mine was dirty!

Anyway, PepBoys carries their line of products. Get the polish in the red bottle and you'll be amazed at how easily and quickly the swirls will come out.
    Sounds like a good price. Cash deal must have given you some manufacturer discount also.

When I bought mine, I went to carcostcanada.com and got the invoice for $45. I called the dealer and gave her the price I would pay (which was $900 over CDN invoice less the $45 I spent to get the invoice). 10 minutes later I got the ok and the deal was done. I don't have the patience to sit in a dealer for that long negotiating. Signed all the papers I instructed her to have ready when I got there and I was on my way in half an hour.

I remember the first dealer I went to was that old style "where do you want to start negotiating" type place. The 60 year old salesman was irritating me from the time I walked in. I walked out after 5 minutes of that crap.

Are the swirl marks bad or very faint?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The Impala is the best selling large sedan in the GM lineup right now. It is ranked in 8th place (150,599 units sold as of 9/2001). The Olds Intrigue has ranked in 43rd place and is sales has slipped almost 3K units when compared to the same period last year. It seems that not even the 0% financing and the 5/60 warranty can't save the Intrigue:

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolfc.asp

The X-Files tie in was good, but it was one of many ads where the name "Oldsmobile" was virtually invisible. They expected buyers to know where to go to buy one.

Well, most buyers don't live in Michigan and know what cars Olds sells of the top of their heads. Also, they were too chicken to dump the Olds name and merge the new cars into Saturn.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    That seems an awfully good price. $25k Cdn for a GL with PCS and leather? Awesome. I've been looking here and the dealers have (a) no 2001s left and (b) only 2002 GXs, all of which sticker at 30k. If a car like yours showed up new at a dealer here, I might have to jump...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Don't see that many Impala's riding around and many I do see are rentals and police cars. Is that a retail sales number or a total sales number.
    Total sales. Here in South Florida there are quite a number of base Impalas as well as LS. Most LS are private owners while base sedans are a mix of private owners/fleet.

Still, 150,599 cars to date is a considerable number. The car is selling very well and not necesesarily to just Police and renatl fleets. By the way, no police agencies in South Florida use Police Impalas, strictly Crown Victorias and old Caprices.
    BTW, do you have any sales charts for Canadian sales??
    I have no idea where on the web those numbers would be. I see partial sales numbers in the paper sometimes but I am not sure of the source. I will check the source next time.

Some local police forces and the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) are now using Impala police cruisers around here. They look much better than those crappy Crown Vic's. I probably shouldn't say that as the Crown Vic's are made about 1/2 hour from here.
    I see quite a few "real" (non rental) 2000+ Impalas around Chicago. One can tell if it is not a rental if there are dealer tags or personalized stickers, etc.
    Well this morning it was about 38 degrees when I left for work and the Intrigue's climate control did very well. It went to the heat mode(floor) and held the blower off until the engine was warm then when it did come on, it sort of ramped up rather than blasting you at full speed as some do. And the engine heated up very quickly. The heated seat was wonderful too. By the time I got the work, I did not want to get out of the car it was so comfortable.
    We need to get you to actually drive an impala.
    Set up an appointment with the dealer who had the Z and let us know your impressions.
    One to one - actually checked out the meguiars web site through the edumund's link last night,i like what i read but cannot find any testimonial, then your post come along - Great Timing! will see where i can buy it in toronto.
    Dindak - swirl mark is faint. cash price included the $3,500 discount. Last year i bought my foucs through auto-by-tel, $500 over invoice, checked with couple dealers, cannot match, deal done. It was really painless, however, i didn't have much luck with gm.
    Ab348 - don't forget, we canadian are poorer cousin to the american. most cars are at a 25% premium (should be 50%+ using the exchange rate), except saturn which are 40 to 50% more. There are a lot of US dealers up here bidding for used car. As Jay Leno preceived the other night, $1 us$ is worth million of cdn$.
    Vcjumper - need to get the name of that tint place from you. what colour did you get and how much? Anything else to watch out for (tint)?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I got Solar gard 35% metallic at Total Auto Glass in Etobicoke, they did a good job. The tough part of tinting the intrigue is the useless large dot matrix at the top of the rear window. Mine isn't perfect there (hard to get the tint to stick down everywhere with all the small black dots) but better than other cars I've seen with a similar matrices.

Wherever you get it done, you get the rear window in one piece, get metallic or semi-metallic, and make sure you leave your windows closed for a week or more with the now cold weather. I think I paid $225 or $250.
    I did some research and found that K&N has a panel air filter within milimeters of the factory one. It fits perfectly. I just put it in tonight and already notice a difference. It's great. Part number is 33-2086. Creates a perfect seal, no problem at all.

I also got some of those PIAA "white" headlights. I thought it would improve vision. It doesn't really but they do look pretty sharp. I was please with how easy it is to change the headlights. The air filter isn't so easy because I had to remove the crossbar (to make sure the filter sealed properly).
    jg28::: Great news! In the 3.8 Intrigue one can use the same filter that Buick Regal uses. What car shares part number 33-2086?

The only thing I really, really don't like about the Intrigue is the placement and shape of the air filter. The 3800 was MUCH, MUCH easier to replace. That's one reason why I want the K&N-- so I don't have to go under there again for another 93,000 miles. I took the top of the housing off the hose. Didn't feel like removing the crossbar. Looking back in hindsight, it probably would have been easier to take off the cross bar.
    focus : The car companies subsidize Canadian prices a bit because if they didn't we would have a serious affordablity problem. It's offset with the money made with car exports from Canadian plants. The value of C$ has dropped so much in the past 3 years. Great for Americans buying here though.

Glad you got a good deal. Autobytel gave me a good price also, but the dealer was 45+ minutes from my house. It was too far to just pop in after work, especially through Toronto traffic.

jg28 : Is that filter for the 3.5L??
    I used GM Buypower to get my Intrigue. Took all of 5 mintues to come up with a price. Salesperson went straight to invoice. Of course, he started from sticker and took off "dealer rebates" until it got to invoice. I didn't care as long as the bottom line was the same. I was going to push for the 3% holdback. But because I didn't have to dicker, I thought it reasonable to give them that as part of their profit.

My salesperson was really good and I'd use him again in a heartbeat. One thing he pointed out to me was that there are two prices they use-- one for the walk-in buyer, the other for internet shoppers. Internet shoppers get the best price. He even showed me how they calculate the price with the invoice number(?). It's nothing more than basic encryption; you know- A=5, B=7, C=9, etc.

The reason on-line shoppers get the better price with less hassle is because GM is trying to push Buypower and justify the cost of creating and maintaining the site. I was sent 2 surveys related to it-- pre and post sale. They want the process to be as painless as possible for internet shoppers. Also, the reasoning is that if a person was diligent enough to go to their web site for their vehicle purchase, then they likely went to other sites such as Edmunds, Car Point, Kelly Blue Book, etc. and know what invoice should be. So instead of fighting with a person who probably knows as much or more about the car than the dealership, give them what they want and make up the difference on the walk-in buyer.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've also bought my Bonneville through BuyPower and it was as painless as you said. The Internet sales manager was open and said up front that he figured I knew how much the invoice was and that he would accept an offer at the invoice price. When I went to the dealer in person, I asked to see the invoice and that was what I paid for her.

It was the easiest and smoothest car purchase experience I've had!
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Whoa! You are looking at K&N filter all wrong. Just because you don't have to replace it doesn't mean you don't have to maintain it. K&N filters require CLEANING on a regular basis. That means removing the filter element and cleaning it using their "kit." If the only reason you have for spending $50 on a K&N is so you don't have to bother with the air filter again, you're going to be disapointed.
    I feel where your coming from. But I change my filter about once every 3 oil changes. Obsessive-compulsive? Yeah. But I've noticed over the years that following the scheduled interval makes performance suffer. In my old Intrigue I used a K&N and I know it requires cleaning. But nowhere near what has to be done with paper filters. My biggest reason for a K&N is performance. But it doesn't hurt to not have to change it as often as I normaly do :-)
    Amen!

It was such a smooth experience I wanted to go back and buy another car even though I wasn't in a position to do it! They didn't even try to hustle the extra add-ons at closing. I'd purchase another GM vehicle over any other brand just because of the way I was treated. And this place sold everything from Chevy to Jaguar.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    What car is the K&N filter for the 3.5L in the Intrigue supposed to be for?
    for my new 01 intrigue $1768 from caa, has been with them for over 10 years, 20+ years driving experience, 6 stars rating(highest). Inside the new car pouch, there is a brochure for GM insurance, got a quote for $1516. I guess i will be switching.
    I'm paying just over C$1300 through Direct Protect. We have all our insurance through them including house and cars. Another good option is Bel Air Direct.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't want to start a fight here but let's look at the facts. From the K&N website "We perform dyno (power curve) testing on our products. Our replacement filters typically provide a 2 to 4 percent horsepower increase. Your results will vary ..."

If we assume 4% power increase will translate directly to a 4% acceleration improvement (which is unlikely), then our 8 sec 0-60 time falls to 7.7. I think most of us would be hard pressed to notice that difference which is only .015g.

Any claims of improved performance are anecdotal unless some objective measurements were taken (like time acceleration runs on the same track, same day, etc.)

What's really happening is the placebo effect: I'm expecting a difference, therefore I feel a difference.

OK, fire away;-)
    Try prudential.I went with them after being with State farm for 10 years. I have the impala and the camaro insured with them. The camaro is liability only. I pay less than $600.00 for both cars together every 6 months. You have to have a good driving record with no moving violations in 3 years and no claims if i remember correctly. There price was so much better than State Farm's it was a no brainer.
    I don't want to start a fight here but let's look at the facts. From the K&N website "We perform dyno (power curve) testing on our products. Our replacement filters typically provide a 2 to 4 percent horsepower increase. Your results will vary ..."

If we assume 4% power increase will translate directly to a 4% acceleration improvement (which is unlikely), then our 8 sec 0-60 time falls to 7.7. I think most of us would be hard pressed to notice that difference which is only .015g.

Any claims of improved performance are anecdotal unless some objective measurements were taken (like time acceleration runs on the same track, same day, etc.)

What's really happening is the placebo effect: I'm expecting a difference, therefore I feel a difference.

OK, fire away;-)
    No flame, but 4% on top of 200 hp is 8 hp. I'll take it anyday. You can definitely feel 8 hp.
    I'll second that. 4% more to 215hp is 224. I don't think too many people will complain about that. Even at 2% we're talking 219, almost 220. Not to mention GM Powertrain spent the resources to boost the 3800 used in Impalas & Grand Prixs from 195hp to 200hp. Throw a less restrictive exhaust in and... better stop thinking about this. It's giving me ideas my wife probably wouldn't go for right now :-)
    Has anyone put on 17" rims on their Intrigue? Did it improve the ride at all? Eventually, probably when I'm ready for new tires, I plan on getting chrome wheels. If 17" will improve ride AND handling (which it should), I'd spend the money.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I know RWD on a given car will give improved acceleration, cornering, and braking. However, the intrigue with FWD has just as good a skidpad number (.84G) as a BMW 330. Plus with FWD any driver can get that number on any road, because it doesn't require a 4 wheel drift or powerslide. I think if they gave the intrigue the new GM 5 speed auto it would be able to beat these cars 0-60 and in the 1/4 too. I would keep the wide gear ratios for the awesome GM mid range acceleration, and just boost HP to make it quicker off the line in addition to the extra gear. I understand Intrigue has the fastest 30-50 and 50-70 times in its class, which probably includes 330.
    Too bad we don't have an Olds engine engineer to contribute to this discussion. I'll bet if you tested 20 Intrigue engines on the dyno or 20 Intrigues on the drag strip, you'd get 4% or greater variation between the hp ratings and the 1/4 mile times.

Anyone read Motor Trend? Here's some recent data from peformance kits showing the hp increase and the 0-60 improvement:

Lincoln, +50hp, .7 sec
    Mustang, +150hp, .8 sec
    MB E430, +107hp, .4 sec
    Solara, +62hp, 1.3 sec

So what's 8hp going to translate to in 0-60? Probably less than the model to model variation.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.
    I got a real "performance" pal with a Porsche. He highly recommends K&N. I think there's a difference. Think whatever you want, I'm happy I bought one. The K&N filter says it needs to be cleaned every 50K miles except for "extremely dusty conditions" I expect I'll check mine from time to time. I was able to replace the filter without removing the cross bar before but it wasn't very easy. I removed the cross bar and the whole top housing to make sure it fit properly.

Yes, it's for the 3.5. If you will recall I have a 2000 with the 3.5. K&N will tell you they don't have one that fits but I found out what the measurements were from Fram and found one within milimeters and it fits perfectly.

Ironically, one of the engines it fits is the 1995-1999 Aurora, although maybe I'm not right there. It says it fits:

1995 Buick park Ave 3.8L series II and SC
    1993-95 Le Sabre 3.8L
    1995 Buick Riviera 3.8L
    1988-90 Deville v8 4.5L
    1991-93 Eldorado 4.9L
    1991, 93 Seville 4.9L
    1992 Seville STS 4.9L
    1994-95 Bonneville 3.8L

fits the Intrigue 3.5 just fine. I'm getting "clunk" noises when I go over bumps. Didn't someone say it was the strut boots or something? I'm beginning to hate my dealer and they hate me. I can't wait to see their reaction to this one.