Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• jimikimjimikim Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6. It has all the options EXCEPT for leather seats. The advertised price is only $13,995. The catch: it has 87,000 miles! I'm wondering if I should buy this car! Please I wish to have your feedback on this deal. I've been told from my friends that Camry's go 200,000 without any problems, given it is taken care of well. I'm not going to drive it much (probably less than 4000 miles a year) but is 87,000 miles too much? Also the KBB trade-in value is $11,910. What do you think about offering $12,500 for the car? Much appreciated...
  • dellwelldellwell Member Posts: 27
    Hello all, I was wondering if anyone on this board has driven both the Solara and the Sebring and what your impressions on them were? I was very interested in the Sebring but I have been doing some thinking about the Solara and now I don't know what I should do!!! The one concern I have with the Solara is that its handeling is not as tight as it could/should be. Owners, what do you think? Thanks for the info.....
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    dellwell-

If you can find a copy of the April 20th edition of the newspaper USA Today, you will find a review of the Sebring Convertible. I think if you read that you will definitely choose the Solara!

Just my 2 cents.

fastdriver

PS Chrysler is NOT my favorite company.
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    Is a Car and Driver rating of a few ragtops: Sebring, Mustang, Solara, Camaro... and the Solara came in dead last. The Camara was tops! Shows you how much faith one can put in motor rag reviews. Use them as an opinion - not the Bible of what is best. Drive whatever cars you want to look at, and drive them on your own roadways - not some dealer-designated path for smoothness and no jiggles.

-Ret
  • hud116222hud116222 Member Posts: 46
    After researching and driving several cars, I narrowed my choice down to the Solara and the Sebring. While the Solara is more expensive, a major deciding factor for me was the Sebring has already had four recalls. None of them were major; nonetheless, it does point to some quality issues. As to handling, I guess that is personal preference. I don't do much tight cornering, so I am totally happy with the smooth and quiet ride of the Solara. 1,000 miles of pure driving enjoyment so far. 2001 Solara SE V-6
    reticent1-

I agree with you. Take the reviews as a GUIDE. Did you ever read this? http://www.autoextremist.com/archives/991012/page2.shtml

Makes you think.

fastdriver

• automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    jimikim -
    This sounds like a great deal if the car is is good condition. It's not the number of miles, it's how they were driven. If you drive a LOT, this may not be a good deal, but if you drive only a few thousand miles per year, this can be a GREAT car for a few years. Be sure that you have all the service records, and that the timing belt was replaced on schedule.

mag reviews -
    Any magazine that takes ads is held captive by their advertisers. This is true of car mags, hi-fi mags, photo and computer mags, etc. - When have you ever seen a BAD review? Only Consumer Reports and a very few others are unbiased by their advertisers. Ya gotta take it all with a large grain of salt!
  • bwiebebwiebe Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2000 Solara and am loving it. No pulling, coin tray is no problem and the shine with the Zaino polish is great. I even got stopped by a road repair crew today to ask how I liked my car. That never happened in my Taurus!! Back to my reason for writing. I plan on keeping my Solara for 8-10 years and should put on over 200,000 KM (120,000 miles). Should I switch to Synthetic oil. I am coming up to my second scheduled service at 16,000 KM (10,000 mi) and the cost of an oil change with Syn is double regular Oil. Could I stretch my servicing out with Synthetic? What would be the benefits of SYN over regular oil. Any preference on the type/brand of Synthetic.
  • hydrozzhydrozz Member Posts: 22
    i dont know if anyone of u guys have noticed before....but if u look at the driver side door and the dash (concentrate on the fake wood trim), you will notice that they arent flsuh with eachother.....is anyone else's car like mine or do i have a defect??
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    The article in which the Solara finished last was a comparison of convertibles. The Solara convertible is not one of Toyotas best efforts. I believe they contracted the installation of the convertible out to another company and had some problems with loose fitting tops, etc. I would only be concerned about this if you're planning to get a convertible. I think the Solara coupe compares very well to other coupes. The Auto Pacific review on the Kelly Blue Book website said it was number one in customer satisfaction among twenty sporty cars.
  • justinl1justinl1 Member Posts: 4
    I was bored and looking up different reviews for Solaras and happened across this one on the web.

This guy is reviewing a 4cyl 2000 Solara he rented. He gave this car 1 out of 5 stars. I own a 2000 V6 SLE Solara that I love so I know I am just a bit biased but 1 out of 5 stars??? lol...

http://home.cox.rr.com/joubworld/atoysolra.htm

Once you click on the link and read his summary make sure you click down below for the FULL review and laugh some more. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion I know...I just can't imagine anyone being this dissatisfied with this car. Enjoy!

-Justin

What a silly review! Can't imagine what this guy was expecting from a full-sized car with a 4-cyl. engine. I think he belongs in a 20 year old Sentra.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    My '00 Solara SLE also has the side panels that are not perfectly lined up either...on both sides. But I haven't noticed any problems with the door itself being out of alignment or any wind noise from potential misalignment.
    It is a bit surprising considering how upscale the rest of the interior is, isn't it?
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    I have noticed a lot of "creaking" and "crackling" when I open either door.

I had the car doors totally re-lubed at the dealer and I still get the problem.

Anyone else experience this?
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Anyone heard about the 2002 Solara and if Toyota will be tweaking it all? I recall hearing a while back that it may get a little HP increase, but that was about all.
  • oilers1oilers1 Member Posts: 17
    Don't forget that Toyota calls for oil changes every 8k km, therefore to protect that 100k km powertrain warranty that is what has to be done. Generally speaking oil change intervals are quite conservative and when my warranty expires I will change the oil at 15k km intervals as it has been run on Mobile 1 since new. The best reason to use synethtic are those winter morning starts.

'00 Solara SE V6 55000km
    thats comforting to hear that it isnt only my car....well it seems to me that the driver side is more severe than the passenger side, another weird thing is that my drive side door is hard to close....maybe its out of alignment???
  • das01solaradas01solara Member Posts: 9
    Just my opinion, but that seems a bit high given the mileage. I don't think you should worry too much about problems if it was maintained and driven reasonably, especially with your mileage forecast. I think of the KBB value as a starting point, which is then adjusted by condition, mileage, added equipment and so on. If the KBB is for the V6, then a lot of the options are likely covered. 45k/year is well above average and the price should be discounted for that. If the KBB doesn't cover the options this car has, then figure the difference b/w a new car with and without these options and depreciate that number roughly the same as the KBB price has from a new car price. Add that to the KBB and discount some for the mileage, and start wheeling and dealing from there. If you're not in a bind, it pays to negotiate until you're satisfied.

best of luck!

dave
    2001 V6 SE 5sp leather
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    I also have a 95 Camry LE V6. I figured out that in constant 95 dollars, I paid about the same for the Camry as I did the Solara, yet the Solara has so many more features such as slightly more powerful engine, leather interior (cloth on Camry), alloy wheels (steel on Camry), JBL stereo, power driver's seat, ABS braking, fog lights, heated mirrors, auto dimming mirror, side air bags, auto climate control, better sound insulation, 16" vs 15" wheels, etc. These added features must be worth thousands. Of course, the Camry has two more doors (power window mechanisms, etc). How does Toyota do this?
  • qibbleqibble Member Posts: 26
    Hello all,

I am looking to get wider tires for my 99SE. I have the OEM 205 65 15 tires. I would like to know if 215 can fit on the OEM 15 inch rims and if I have to do in speedo modifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I was wondering if there were anyone who has gotten a 2001 Solara SE-V6, 5-speed in Canada and if they would like to share what they paid for it? I was at my local dealer on the weekend and took one (automatic) for a spin. Very nice!!! Dealer's first price was $33,500. I have not started to haggle yet but I know that this amount is way to high. I was thinking around $29,500 + taxes would be a fair price for this car. Anyone with a little more experience (1st time buyer)lend me some advice. Thanks in advance for the info...
    P.S. In the same day, I also drove the Sebring LXi and I don't think it is in the same class as per driving impressions. Solara felt much nicer!!
    qibble-

I am also interested in wider tires. I believe that we can go to 215's easily. If you go to the lower profile 55's, I believe that you don't need to worry about the speedo. Here's a nfity tire size calculator that can show you the effect of different sizes, and the speedo error.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Don't know what part of the great white north you are from but I am from Winnipeg and in Manitoba we are part of a test Toyota is doing on non-negotiable pricing called Access Toyota. Basically they are taking a page out of the Saturn dealership model. Generally speaking you get $500 - 700 off sticker price. I went in armed with all the info you could imagine from internet searches and had the dealer price, etc. Didn't help one bit. They basically are sticking to their Access Toyota guidelines. I did manage to get a bit of a discount by buying a demo which had about 6,000 km on the vehicle. The vehicle had everything I wanted plus .9% financing so I figured with the discount and the low rate financing I saved a couple of thousand $. It seems that Toyota can sell most of the product they can get in so they don't appear as willing to deal and the NA dealers. I would be interesting in hearing how much you managed to negotiate off if you decide to buy. The solara is a great car. Rides like a dream and I haven't been subject to the pulling problems you might read about in earlier messages. ( I have the Michelins). If you want to check out the Access Toyota price pull up the Toyota Cdn website. YOu can then build your vehicle and it will show the sticker and access price side by side. Good luck.
    New and improved Zaino on the way! Look:

The new Zaino product will be an accelerative additive that can be mixed
    with Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5....

Below are just a few of the improvements....

1. When mixed as per directions, you will not need to apply Z-1...

2. It will reduce the drying time, thus making the polish more user friendly in damp environments...

3. It will increase the gloss factor and extend the durability level..

4. It will have an instant cure time, so you can immediately apply multiple coats.. No more waiting between coats...

5. And more........

Sounds good to me! Increased gloss factor and multiple coats in one day! No release date yet, but soon I think.

fastdriver
  • book6783book6783 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 Solara 4 cyl a month ago. I commute 60 miles a day and after a few days I found the seat very uncomfortable and my tail bone was sore. The vibration and the design of the seat seemed to be the problem. The dealer had a factory rep come and check the car and he told me the tires were over inflated (that's how they sold the car to me). After deflating the tires the ride is better, but the seat is still very uncomfortable and my back still hurts. CONTINUED NEXT POST
  • book6783book6783 Member Posts: 2
    Continued post: I thought about trading it in but the dealer only wanted to give me what a 2000 model traded for. Is there anything I can do to remedy my situation? I've tried the back store for adaptive devices which haven't helped. A friend suggested having a custom seat installed. Do you think the dealer should be more cooperative? Thanks, DD
    book6783

I am very surprised to hear your complaint about the seat. I find the Solara seat very comfortable, in fact that is the reason I traded in my Lexus - the Solara seats are better!

Maybe you are trying to sit in the seat the same way as your previous car seat, and this isn't working? A little too upright will put pressure on the lower back. I have a bad back, and try to use the seat with as little pressure on my lower back as possible. I have the front raised as much as possible, the rear as low as possible, and the back at about 90 degrees with the seat bottom. Your weight is now spread along your back, instead of just at the bottom. It is VERY comfortable this way for long drives, and the way most race cars are set.

You can only lose a LOT of money to change the car at this time. If you cannot find a new position that is comfortable, perhaps a trip to a good car upholstery shop that can modify the seat is in order? Good Luck!
  • beantownyankeebeantownyankee Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am looking to buy either of those two cars and was wondering if you guys could offer me your opinions. I am a grad student who's looking to buy his first new car. Unfortunately, I will have to park this car on the streets...yikes!! I was wondering, which car is less likely to be stolen or broken into? Oh yeah, I am also interested in hearing about the respective merits of these two cars. Personally I place more emphasis on reliability and ride quality, but CL has been my dream car for 2 years. There won't be that much of a price difference if you compare the base CL model with a loaded SLE, so how about it? Any opinions? Keep in mind that I am more interested in getting a car that's reliable and easy to maintain. Thanx a lot!!
    That is a tough comparison!

The Acura is probably a higher end car, but you are looking at the cheapest Acura vs the top Solara, so it may be moot.
    The CL may handle better, but the Solara ride is hard to beat.
    The Solara's back seat is bigger than some 4-door sedans and almost any other coupe, if that is important.
    They are BOTH of equal reliability and susceptibility to being stolen. The Solara uses a special "immobilizer" key - the car cannot be hotwired and started without it, I don't know about the Acura.

Drive them BOTH a lot, and don't be rushed or swayed by the dealers.
    Good Luck!
    The MSRP for a Solara with the options I want (Leather....) is $31,566 and. The first price given by the dealer was for $33,500. I was looking to pay $29,500. But now that I have the MSRP and the MSRP on the options I want, what do y'all think would be a good place to start my negotiaons? In Canada, we don't have a web site that openly lists dealer cost so we have to guess or pay a fee to get the invoice price. I was now thinking of starting at $28,000 thinking that $28,500 +taxes would be a fair price. What do current Solara owners think??? Thanks.
    Check out the web site carcostcanada.com. For a small fee you can get the dealer cost of any vehicle you want plus any dealer incentives avaialble. If you are looking at paying $30,000 plus taxes, delivery, etc for a car is $30. for 3 quotes out of line. It will save you a lot of second guessing later. Whats the saying; penny wise and pound foolish!! I got the price on a 2001 Solara SLE V6 back in December and the MSRP was $33,425 and the dealer cost was $30,560. As I mentioned in my earlier post#923 the Toyota Dealers in Manitoba are part of the Access Toyota pilot and don't negotiate price, similar to Saturn dealers. Hope you have better luck than me getting close to the dealer cost. If you are from a larger centre there may be more competition than the toyota dealers face here.
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    Paying 30K? Is that Canadian or something? That sounds high! My 2000 SE V-6 5Spd came with leather, wood grain, 17in rims and tires, TRD exhaust, alarm, tint, window etching, upgraded stereo system, etc, etc (loaded), and sticker was around 33K. Dealer let me have it for 26K. I love the car...expecially after the supercharger, quickshifter, TRD suspension, and intake were installed.

http://users.ev1.net/~gunpilot/misc
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    the canada flag by the name indicates to me the $30000 is canadian...just a hunch.
  • Any advice or comments pro or con on TRD aftermarket upgrades? SC, you seem happy with yours! I love my SLE after not quite 3K miles, but I've been considering the supercharger and sway bars if only on general principles. Of course it hasn't even been to it's first oil change yet...

Thanks in advance.

Dawgster
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    ral - You never know, many on this forum switch back and forth to get a comparison to US dollars?

citizen_dog - TRD is proud of thier stuff so it gets pricey, but it seems quality. I have not heard of a SC breaking yet. I got mine at 3500 miles on the car, and the only thing that happened was the SC belt ate throught the AC line. My dealer fixed it under warranty and relocated the AC line, so problem fixed. Some people at Camryman.org feel TRD support is poor, but you have to consider the Solara is based off of a family sadan! Check out Toyotaparts4u.com for TRD parts. They are nice people and have the best prices. Good luck and enjoy the ride. The Solara is a great sleeper car. It has much potential.
    ral2167 you are so right. The flag should be a dead giveaway that the price was in Cdn$, especially since I was responding to an inquiry from dellwell who had the maple leaf on his post.
  • beantownyankeebeantownyankee Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I just purchased the 2001 SLE with moonroof, traction, CD changer and side air bags for roughly $24,500. I was looking forward to picking up my car next week until, to my horror, I read some of the comments about the left pulling problem on this forum. I didn't test drive the exact car that I purchased. What percentage of Solaras suffer from this problem? Anyways, I ended up choosing Solara because it's supposedly a great, reliable car without the snobby or racer image. Also, I just love the way it looks, moreso than the CL. I have to admit that I will be mad if the 2002 Solara is even more gorgeous. Heehee...a little selfish on my part. Hopefully, you won't see me coming on here ranting about the steering problems. As far as the coinbox is concerned, I am just gonna get a speed pass so that I don't have to worry about using it. Oh yeah, one more thing, although I like the fact that not that many people have Solaras, but it does make you wonder why it isn't more popular.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Beantown: I was wondering why Solara's aren't more popular also. My own take is that Toyota might sell more if they just called it something like "Camry Sport Coupe".
  • westsolarawestsolara Member Posts: 18
    The reason why Solara is not more popular is because it is a "sleeper" car
    and also many folks prefer four doors, esp families. I have installed that
    wooddash kit and I am glad I did as it looks fine...like the new Avalon's..
    Westsolara - did you get the wooddash kit from Toyota or from an aftermarket supplier. I have read posts from people who have bought the aftermarket wooddash kits but none that have bought the Toyota kit. I think I would prefer to have the dealership install just incase I botch the install.
    Just for your information - I ordered mine from exoticwooddash.com. This has got to be a LOT cheaper than through the dealer.

I had to order the full kit to get all the parts I needed and throw away the rest. They give you WAY too many parts - I just wanted it to look about the same as my Lexus - tasteful but not overdone. I mean a wood ring around the speakers, speedometer and ignition is just TOO much IMO!

It was not too difficut to do, just take your time, and do it on a sunny day, You leave the parts in the sun for a few minutes so that they can get soft and easily to fit to the dash. Do be careful - Once they are on - they will NOT move! Maybe having a friend to help is a good idea. When you peel them off the shipping card, they are slightly sticky. You can stick them on the dash this way to see how each piece looks. Do NOT remove the protective tape cover until you are ready!

Anyway, it really looks good, it changed the entire interior feel of the car. One rider asked if I had gotten a new car!

I got my kit from exotic wooddash from Arizona.
    I agree with automophile as to his directions for application.
    My instructions said to warm the item with a hair dryer before
    applying. He is right...Once it is on, it will not come off!!! In
    my opinion, it is well worth it ...........
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Anyone have info or cites to drawings, pictures, etc regrding changes to next year's car? I'm assuming that 2002 Solara will inherit the Highlander's more powerful vvt V6 and larger 4 cyl engines. I've also heard that there will be minor changes to the nose and rear. Cliffy???

Thanks
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Yokohama offers the Avid H4 in the Solara stock 205/60/16 tire size. Does anyone have experience ( good or bad ) with this tire. Thanks!
    well guess what guys, i have 8k miles on my car and the left pull still haven't gone away....i went to the dealer twice and they adjusted the alignment twice already to no avail.....i think im gonna take it back to tell them to rotate the tired but i dont know if that will help any....have any of u guys gotten this problem fixed yet?? any suggestions???
  • luthor1luthor1 Member Posts: 15
    I paid 31445 on an auto sle 6 weeks ago I thought it was not a bad deal I think a stick would go for about 1500 to 2000 less so i guess 29500 would be a decent price.
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    We don't know because the 02 Solaras have not been built yet, but rumors are that it will not get the VVTi v6 because it is incompatible with the supercharger...only the new redesigned Camry will get this. The Solara will not be redesigned.
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Go for the rotation. You must have the infamous Bridgestone tires. I had my tires rotated and the problem went away like magic? Of course yit will come back if you raotate the tires again. Toyota made a poor choice in tires and size. They options in stock size are few and poor!
    i actually have the michilens which stumps me, i always thought they were the bridgestones but i guess it's specific to each car....i was thinking about the rotation too, u think my warranty would cover it, being that this is how my car was when it was bought?