Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Not everyone can afford an Acura. 50% of the market is trucks. Motor city is under attack, but good things are coming (mainly from GM and DC).
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Is buying an Acura????

Wow! what a change coming from the "Buy American" man of the decade!
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    I've read these post about the alternator and flickering headlights. I am totally confused as to how an alternator makes headlights flicker.

An alternator is normally running a nominal 13.5 volts or so, and a fully charged 12 volt battery is a nominal 12.8 to 13.2 volts. If the alternator loses the field then the battery should sustain the electrical load with an almost imperceptible dimming.

My wife's driver is a 2000 GX program vehicle with 38,000 miles and there has never been a flicker.

I think I will go and talk to my local Olds. service manager and find out how this can be happening. He is a wonderful service manager and will tell me what the true story is, if he knows of a problem.

We had the rack and the intermediate shaft replaced under warranty at 28,000 miles or so. And that is the only problems with the vehicle, other than the only time she let's me drive it is to go fuel it up. It runs 22 mpg in all city driving. But not a congested stop and go wait city.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    1st advice: don't scrimp on the pads. Safest bet is OEM pads from your dealer. Those were formulated specifically for that car. Any pads that say "lifetime warranty" are going to be a harder compound that will wear well but will give up performance.

On rotors, if they can be turned without being reduced below the minimum thickness, that's a cheaper way to go. If don't have any pedal pulsation or brake roughness, you can probably get by without doing anything to the rotors. Just be sure the lug nuts are torqued to spec (which means a torque wrench, not an air wrench.)
    Do you not have the oil life sensor in the 99?
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    My '99 3.5 has the oil life sensor, but I've never gotten a good answer about how it works. At the new owner's clinic, the Olds rep said it basically just counts the miles since the last oil change, but has nothing to do with the actual condition of the oil. The manual says it takes into account other things besides mileage, but I still didn't think it sounded reliable. Does anybody know how it works and/or pay attention to it? I tend to just change the oil every 5K miles, which is probably a shorter interval than necessary given the mostly highway driving we do. The only time I've had the light come on is when the dealer forgot to reset it after changing the oil.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've read a technical article that said that in GM cars the engine computer calculates the oil life depending on the miles, RPM and engine temperature. Some cars also have a sensor that measure the transparency of the oil and also take that into consideration. On my Bonneville, it even displays how much the oil is through, like "48% remaining oil life".

But more often is better than less often. Every 5K is probably OK and considering that it costs about a tank full of gas, IMO, it's cheap change whether it's done every 3K, 5K or 8K miles, considering the kind of damage that dirty oil can make.
    From what I have read, the sensor actually does measure the quality of the oil, though I'm not sure how. It is definitely more than a mileage counter.

I change my oil when it tells me. I trust it's judgement.
  • w5kapw5kap Member Posts: 32
    I'm new to the forum so please no flames if this has already been touched on. I have a 99 Intrigue and for the most part I like the car, but the road noise is the worst on any car I have ever owned. My GMC Sierra pick-up is ten times quieter. Is there anything that can be done about this (other than buying a nice new Avalon)??
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    You can do several things of various cost. Here are a few things i can think of:
    - Go to your dealer and ask that they try to install the plastic wheel well covers that were standard on 2001+ Intrigues.
    - Buy newer, quieter tires such as the Yokohama AVSdb's which are supposedly VERY quiet. My Eagle LS's were causing quite the racket when they were worn.
    - Go to a car audio shop and get a quote on removing your seats and carpet, then applying a layer of sound deadening material.
  • w5kapw5kap Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. The only true option appears to be the tires and riding this one out till I can afford to buy some luxury. I would consider the Aurora but it looks indistinguishable from the Intrigue. PLus it doesn't look like Olds has much of a future. Sigh! Oh well such is life. Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Kenn
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We have a 300M with the crapyear (or badyear) Eagle LS tires as we 300M owners call them. They're noisy, defective, and have vibration problems. If you have these, get rid of them first. I've read a lot and one of the best, quietest tires you can buy for a good price are Dunlop SP Sport A2's. They come in the Intrigue's size and aren't all that expensive.

As for the noise, you really think your Intrigue is noisy? I've ridden in my grandmother's 99' GX several times with the Eagle LS's and it's still quieter than our 300M. Even if you don't have the Goodyears, tires are a good place to start. Then go to insulation if necessary.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    According to stories in Detroit News and others, since the announcement of Olds folding, 60% of former Olds owners got another GM car, and 20% got an new Olds. = 80% staying in GM.

So, all the stuff about GM losing thousands of buyers hasn't come true.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I'm of that 20%. Guess my one purchase doesn't make much of a difference :-)
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I am thinking that by 2004, when Olds is gone for good, Pontiacs will have their new styling done, to take the spot of "import fighter".

The Grand Prix is redone then, and will most likely take some of the Intrique's "things".
    FWIW, I read that we might be able to check out what's coming from this division in the Chicago show.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I don't peg you for a Acura man. I see you in a infinti G35. RWD 260 lb ft of torque.
    Not quite camaro power, but pretty close for a sedan, and certainly more than the intrigue.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Did 1way buy an Acura? I did just read the CL coupe will be available with a 6 speed for 2003 which makes it a bit more interesting. But it's still FWD and basically an upscale Accord. I think I'll stick with the CTS for serious consideration on next car.
  • mfd37mfd37 Member Posts: 15
    Just passed the 3300 mile mark and am still impressed with the Intrigue. One thing I've noticed is that the first / second time I apply the brakes (usually pulling out of the garage and stopping at the end of the driveway) I'm hearing a chirp type sound from the front wheels. It sort of sounds like the wear sensors on the brakes, but it's only for the first couple of stops. Seems to be slightly more pronounced if turning to the right and seems to be coming from that side, but it's only after the car has been sitting for a couple of hours or more. Anyone have an idea what that noise might be?

Other than that, this car is everything I'd expected it to be and maybe a little better. The PCS is truly a blessing on snowy/icy roads.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Thought I would report on my '98 Intrigue's 60,000 mile service. This was done by my local mechanic, whom I have used for the past few years to work on the wife's '93 Mazda 626 ES. I asked him to look it over and address some specific issues. Note that the '98 Intrigue has the 3800 engine and that other than having the brake rotors and ISS replaced under warranty, no other maintenance (other than oil changes) has been done . Some issues worth reporting:

1) For the past two days the engine cooling warning light has come on intermittantly. Found a leaking water pump, replaced with rebuilt one at cost of $150 (parts & labor)

2) ISS lubed per the TSB., $37

3) Fuel filter replaced, $39

4) Had serpentine belt replaced $53

5) Brakes were worn 80% front, 20% rear. Decided to wait a little on this until the summer.

In sumary, the car is running great although the steering problem still continues to bug me, especially after driving the Mazda which has great steering and handling.

I am looking for a replacement for the older Mazda and have been considering the Regal and Impala but am concerned about possible ISS problems. Also considering Passat 4-motion but concerned about long term service cost ($800 for a timing belt service?!). Not sure what to do and therefore am in holding pattern, perhaps until the 2003 models start to come out.
    Pontiac Grand Prix concept will be introduced at the Chicago show. Apparently it will give a lot of hints for the 03/04 GP. I'm sure a lot of tech will be transferred from the Intrigue. I'm expecting the Intrigue and GP will basically be combined into one sport sedan. Mr. Lutz don't let me down.

tomcat : I saw that story also and was not surprised. The Oldsmobile credit is pretty nice when combined with current offers so I'm sure many people went back. GM was smart to offer it and I'm glad to accept. Too bad Oldsmobile got killed in the process though!
    No problems with the ISS shaft on my 14,000 mile '01 impala. First new car that i haven't had to take in for warranty repairs.
    Can't remember how many miles one2one had when his was totaled. You might be the mileage champ on this thread.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    They do a lot more than just measure the mileage interval.

http://www.delphiauto.com/news/solutions/monthly/ms401-12012000

www.delphiauto.com/pdf/intellek/oil_condition_sensor.pdf

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/may99/features/vitalsigns/vitalsigns.html

Says it depends on engine rpms, operating temp, oil temp, coolant temp and "other" factors to calculate what it thinks the rate of oil degradation is according the the second link.
    I'm just over 60,000Miles on my 99GX. Warranty repairs were migrating door trim and broken cigarette lighter door. Crankshaft sensor was after warranty. No front end noise issues encountered.
    Original rotors (never turned) and pads, though I think I'll get the pads changed within the next month.
    Motor runs smoother than new, burns no oil, and I got rid of the rattles I had by putting foam where the speakers would be if I had the 6 speaker stock stereo (behind the sideview mirrors) and not aftermarket.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Regulation typically is 14+ volts.

You are right that a .4 volt drop may not be noticeable, However when the regulation is 14.5 volts and the alt. decides to do nothing there will be a drop easily to 12.5 on a fully charged battery.

do not forget that when a car is running with lights it can draw 30 amps easily. The light will take 15 amps, Fan will take minimum 3 to max. of 30 amps, dash light from 3 to 10 amps, Radio 1 amp and so on.
    Also when your bat is juiced up and sitting in your driveway with the car not running , just turning on the lights can drag that static voltage down to 12 volts. It is called load.

Have you ever sat in your car with the headlights on and then start the car. Well that increase in brightness resulting from the 12.5 to 14.5 regulation, is exactly the opposite of what is happening when the lights flicker/ blink.

If you do not experience this problem, congratulations . For more info and experiences, feel free to view my posts 5380 and 5364 and 5719
    I was very well impressed with the CTS. The materials and finish inside were of very good quality, on a par with Mercedes. A true luxury car, unlike BMW and Audi, which are just average cars with good powertrain and/or chassis, IMO.
    They just upgrading their machine shop so there was a delay with building the prototype. They should have something for me to test early next week.
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    "unlike BMW and Audi, which are just average cars with good powertrain and/or chassis". What an absurd statement - have you sat in an Audi A6? The materials used in the interiors far surpass GM's quality. Look at the gauges and fit and feel of the seats in a BMW or Audi. GM has been pretty much universally knocked for its interior materials and assembly. And listen to a BMW engine sing while accelerating versus the Catera engines groan. And yes I've driven both. I won't even mention BMW's suspension and chassis.
    The last thing I want is flame war...

Those air vents on BMWs' and Audis' dashes fall off in a few years.

Yes, I've seen what's inside an A6 and was not impressed. At least for a 40-grand car...

No, I didn't say that GM's was better, only the CTS'.

However, I do think that both German brands are sub-par to Mercedes.

Have a nice day.
  • thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    A recent message (of course I can't locate it) stated they were experiencing hard shifting. I have also experienced this situation. It has happened 4 times in the last 6-monthes (2001 GLS w/PCS). My guess on what is happening is that the computer may not be initializing correctly. The 4 times I have had the problem has been when I momentarily bump the key to start. My car will start so quickly that I get carried away by seeing how quick of a key turn will start it. I think that the abruptness of the start does not set the computer right. Even if you shut it off and start it up again, the problem remains. If you shut it off and let the car sit for "awhile" all returns to normal on the next start.
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    Any rumors on what the final Intrigue closeout rebates might be this summer?
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    I have to admit I have not seen a CTS in person yet, but I'm not too impressed with the interior pictures. I have driven an Audi A6 quite a bit and the interior quality is excellent. I just ordered a Buick Rendezvous and I'm impressed by the interior but the quality is not up to Audi or Acura standards. I have never heard of airvents falling off of Audi's or BMW's. I've seen plenty of Cadillacs with missing trim pieces though.
    New CTS is amazing. Best GM car I've ever seen in terms of quality and design. Take a look before you judge. I will be seeing one again next week at the Toronto Auto Show.

BTW. I've seen Audi's with pieces falling off.
    Bob Lutz announced today that he is studying the possibility to finally bring the Australian Holden Commodore SS to the United States, in order to speed up the consolidation of GM as a supplier of high performance, world class, V8 RWD powered sedans.

So don't give up on GM just yet, this beast could be in parked in your driveways sooner than you think:

http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=vxOverview&cartype=4005

Hello Holden and bye, bye Olds!

Tried it (Bought used for $75cdn, then sold it for same price), will fit just like other bars made for the GP/Regal/3800 cars, but the power steering line gets in the way and has to be moved like others have found with other bars.
    Would be great but isn't that what Caddy is trying to be? I can't imagine the cars being cheaper than the CTS, seeing how they are basically Catera's with LS1's in them.
    Bring it on. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    Altima is FWD. G35 is RWD. G35 has 20 more hp +
    30-40 more ft lbs of torque. 5 speed auto too.
    Base price is 27K optioned to my taste is about 31K. 112 inch wheelbase. 3 inches longer than the intrigue.
    I'll give it to you on the BMW engine sounding better at full throttle than the Catera's, but Cadillac's own(and excellent Northstar) has them both beat. I'm looking forward to the new V6 due out in the 04 CTS. Still, as is the CTS is not a bad car at all.

thugh, that was probably me with the harsh shifts. I took mine in for this Monday and am getting ready to leave the office to go pick the car up. In short, a minor overhaul on the transmission was done from what I was told. I will consult the repair order for more details. Also, I had mentioned the flickering lights to them and they said it could not be duplicated. If it weren't for me getting sick of the 1990 Delta Eighty-Eight they gave me for a loaner, I would have pushed back more. I'm going to get the TSB number for this problem and take that to them when I have it in for an oil change next time.
  • rc52rc52 Member Posts: 27
    I recall someone with the grandprixstore front STB (jg28 I think) mentioning they got around the P/S problem by using a plastic tie-strap to tie the 2 P/S lines together? I'm thinking of going that route, but would love to first hear how the custom one for vcjumper turns out. WOW - lucky me - post # 6000!!!
  • rc52rc52 Member Posts: 27
    You installed the SLP brace on a 3.5? What exactly did the Olds dealer disassemble/install - the P/S lines?
    I'm beginning to get aggrevated with the dealer. When I got there this evening to pick my car up(15 minutes before they said they left) the service department was empty. The door was still unlocked and the tv in the waiting area on, but no one anywhere. I finally wandered into the showroom and had a salesperson go down there and get my keys. He couldn't find the paperwork on my car, but did find the keys. So I STILL don't know exactly what all they did to the car and what their diagnosis is. I'm going to call them tomorrow and have them mail the paperwork to me. This is only the second time I've had the car in to them for service and I think if I have to take it in again(which I will for the flicker) I'm going to go to a different dealer. There is actually another dealer which is closer to me, I just went to this one because that is where I bought the car. So I guess I'm not as impressed by my service department visit this time. As for the car, it sure felt good getting back into my Intrigue after two days with the Eighty-Eight. Car drove well and transmission shifted fine and no flicker, but again the flicker is intermittent. As soon as I get the paperwork, I'll give more detail on what all is done. Thats pretty bad, I have the service manual on the car and like to know everything about the car and what needs to be repaired, yet I don't even know exactly what all has been done. Trying to get info from them was literally like pulling teeth. I always got the "he's out on a test drive right now" or "I just paged the transmission guy." Maybe most Olds owners simply say FIX IT when it comes to problems, but I like to know what the problem is and why it is being fixed.
    Here it is folks

04 GP

More pics of interior etc here
    GP Owners Club

It is definitely not what I was looking for. A little too expensive boy racer looking. The rear end odd spoiler treatment is what I really don't like. Don't like the spoiler and looks like it would look pretty odd without it too. Looks like it is upmarket though and will probably be closer to current Bonneville pricing since that is being discontinued. We'll see though because obviously some of the elements of it (18" wheels, cross drilled/slotted rotors) are obviously not going to be on the production model.
    I generally like it.

Keep in mind that's a decked out concept car. I think you will see the basic shape stay about the same though. It will be interesting to see what the production models will look like.

My biggest wish is that the interior is upgraded and they loose all that plastic. I really like the current GP as is (I must since I had one), but the interior was definitely the weak point. My guess is you will see a more Pontiac Vibe type dash in this car with brushed aluminum accents.

I hope they bring that car up to Toronto next week for our auto show!!!
    It certainly gets some cues of the current Bonneville, which turns it into a beauty, IMO (I own a Bonneville ;^))! The tail-lights are kind of strange, though, but the rest of the car is very pretty.

I wonder about the interior materials and finish. Beside a GP, the Bonneville looks like from another brand in these aspects, i.e., much better quality.

As the Bonneville will see no successor, I hope that this new GP is at least as roomy as it. Then maybe I'll consider Pontiac again.
    Hey guys check the all new 2002 Opel Vectra sedan and 5-door Hatchback....Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!! Check out those interiors!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful car! Lutz bring it and pronto!!!!!!!!!!

www.opel.com
    From what I've read so far, the interior of the GP is all new and much more upscale. I may go back to Pontiac with a car like this. No mention of engines though..

teo : GM seems to be trying to move to world platforms so who knows. Vectra looks nice, but it will have to be updated for North American tastes.
    "GM seems to be trying to move to world platforms so who knows. Vectra looks nice, but it will have to be updated for North American tastes."

Why? The car looks fantastic as it is! Ford's success with the Focus was precisely that...avoiding the "Americanization" of the model.

Euro is hot, Euro is trendy, Euro sells.

We need no more stinking "Americanized" Opel cars that have been nothing but botched products and flops...witness the Saturn L series and the Cadillac Catera.

GM has learned this lesson the hard way time and time again.

Lutz: Bring the Vectra and Astra unchanged from the European formats!