Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Memory seats and mirrors are not available on the Intrigue. That would be a nice feature, but since I'm the only one to drive the car it is not an issue. Again, the Acura is a luxury car and one would expect it to have this feature. I don't think any of the Intrigue's competitors have this feature. As for in dash cd changers, I am skeptical of them and here is why. I sold electronics when I was in college and those type of changers were popular in boom boxes. The type where you feed 6 or so discs one at a time. More than once, the mechanism jammed and the owner couldn't get his cds out. One guy brought his back in smashed to pieces and said that is how he had to get the discs out. Needless to say the warranty would not cover that!! So I'm skeptical of this in cars as well. My favorite combo is an in dash single play cd with a changer either in the colsole, glovebox, or trunk. Even better though now is XM radio. I finally installed it in my Intrigue and haven't even listened to a cd in the car in a month. So if we are going to quibble over features anyway, I don't think the Acura has a dual zone climate control, Onstar, or stability control system.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I just used the extended warranty I purchased from 1SourceAutoWarranty on my '98 Aurora (the A/C compressor clutch seized and was sparking). This happened on Monday afternoon, the dealer diagnosed it and called the warranty company Tuesday morning, the compressor arrived on Wednesday and the car was ready Thursday. No out-of-pocket cost to me ($0 deductible), no hassle for the dealership (they were impressed that the warranty company paid for all of the R134A and other "consumables" required for the repair). My warranty just paid for itself within 7 months. I have no affiliation with 1Source other than as a satisfied customer.

I'd suggest checking the Finance, Warranty, and Insurance board for more discussion of extended warranties.

--Robert
    The owners manual or the sales brochure mentions nothing of the delayed exterior lighting and I always assumed the car did not have this feature. However, the service manual does mention this feature in the section on personalization(changing auto door lock modes). It says to close all doors and turn the ignition on and hold down the "lock" button while turning the headlights on and off twice. Then release the lock button and hold the unlock button down while doing the same thing again. Once you release the unlock button it is supposed to chime once if the feature is disabled and twice if enabled. So far, mine doesn't chime at all and the feature is not enabled. Either it is a misprint in the service manual altogether or they left a step out. I'm going to try several things and see if I can get it to work. I also wonder if a scan tool would allow one to acces the BCM and enable this feature. The Buick Regal and Century have this feature enabled and I also believe the Impala does as well. I come home late at night sometimes and don't always like to leave exterior lights on(especially if I leave out early in the day) and it would be great if the headlamps would stay on for a minute or so. My old 89 Olds Touring Sedan did this, although on it you could actually set the delay from 5 seconds to 3 minutes with the twilight sentinel switch. I think Cadillacs and Auroras still do this.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    I dont' know why others insist on comparing the Intrigue to the Acura TL, I simply stated my next car would be a TL, I never attempted do draw comparisions as there really aren't any - as will anyone who has actullly driven both will attest - the TL in in the same class as BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Audi, not the Intrigue.

I'm willing to bet that those who are disussing the pros and cons of both have never actually driven both. And it really doesn't matter what the spec sheet says - it matters what the experience is getting behind the wheel and driving down the highway. After doing that in both, as I said, there will be no more argument.
  • mapscomapsco Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the TL has OnStar (in addition to the DVD-based Nav system) , Traction Control, and a Stability Control System. Some really nice touches are the Power Moonroof, Leather and 180 watt stereo - also standard. Since I never keep a car longer than the warranty period, I don't care where the CD changer is.

Stick with comparing the Intrigue to the Grand Prix, Regal, Impala or Intrepid. They're what Edmund suggests comparing it to, and I agree. We're talking apples and oranges.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Just answering some questions that jg28 asked :::

You asked why I bought an Acura over an Accord, it was the CL not the TL, and I negotiated mine for a mere 2 grand more than the Accord. To me the extra options/features were worth the 2 large ones (30k was my limit). And yes I could have lived with another 20-25k car. Point is that, the national meridian price for cars is 24-26k, so at 27k I would not find that too extravagant by any stretch.

[Sidenote: the TL/CL has NO dual climate control, but Onstar is new this year]

Pricing has always been one of my big bug-a-boos about the Intrigue [now & back then], when fully loaded it tops out at almost $31k. And WoW, that is in the luxury car price terrority, there are a lot of 30k cars with more features and reliability etc. etc. Granted most everyone in NOT paying full price, but there are some people who simple do not haggle on car prices.

One other thing I do not like some car pricing structure where you have 10-12k differences between the low-end/base model and a fully loaded model. It tends to dilute or muddy the model's true worth ie. Nissan Altima at 18-31k JMHO.

mapsco ::: <<< Stick with comparing the Intrigue to the Grand Prix, Regal, Impala or Intrepid. They're what Edmund suggests comparing it to, and I agree. We're talking apples and oranges. >>>.

It may seem like apples and oranges to you, but if they are both "fruit", "same size" and about the same "cost", then they should be comparables. What you are eluding is that one should only compare the different types of apples; Green, Red-Delicious, Jonathan. Now apples to a watermelons, when the comparison does not make sense.

I guess it must mean compare only American to American.

It is ludicrous to only compare just those vehicles suggested, just because Edmunds (or any other established source) deems these vehicles are comparables [again remove the blinders]. Comparisons; if one has like vehicles ie. approximate same body and engine sizes, number of doors, and comparable prices then, that is where any good comparisons should start from. Case in point, it then would off-base to compare a Chevy Cavalier to an Intrigue, or any 40-50k luxury car to an Intrigue.

In making any sound decision(s) [personal or business], one must be objective in reviewing "ALL" the available data and information "NOT" just some of it. If people choose not be to confused with the facts, then that is their personal choice.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    I believe b4z suggested stiffer springs and more progressive strut valving to better deal with small bumps.

If you want stiffer springs, check the tags on your current ones and compare to a printout from dealer. This will show you the one's you have relative to what's available. My front's happen to be 22133029-FJT and rears are 10421038-HSI-0840-TKS. On the printout for 99, this shows my fronts as being the 2nd stiffest (or softest) on load rate out of three sets listed. On the rear, the TKS is listed 6th out of 8 displayed (1 being the highest load rate). Incidently, my numbers don't match the list for the rears, but since the TKS does, I figured that's the load rate I have.

That being said, I've determined (from experimenting) my springs are good for my ride preference. You can get springs for about $34 each at GMpartsdirect.com or one of those sites. Will cost double at the dealer. I'm gonna keep the springs I have.

My ride is good with the Sensatrac struts but a little firmer. I'm hoping they will loosen up a bit over time. I'm told they will but not much. Oh well, that's what I get for being the guinea pig. I'm very happy with the Yokohamas.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    oldsman : Hummm.. odd. I will ask my dealer next time I'm in for an oil change if they know anything about programming the lights.

jgriff : It makes sense to compare an Accord to an Intrigue. To compare a TL which cost thousands more does not make much sense. I know it's hard to understand, but it has nothing to do with the car's origin. The Accord is MUCH better anyway.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Dindak ::: yes I would agree that just off the top of the head, one would think that Accord vs. Intrigue would seem to be the "more" logical comparison. And yes the TL may cost a few thousand more [than an Accord], but if it is within ones budget one should look at what "bang for the bucks" you might be getting i.e. 4/48 warranty, larger engine, service, memory seats etc. etc. And one of your favorite reasons is not owning an over bought model, where there are already too many on the road.

Take the Nissan Altima or even Toyota Camry their prices range from 18-20 to 32k yeah a fully loaded Camry is just shy of 32k. Point being that one might argue for a mere 2 grand you might as well step into a Lexus 300, again if that is NOT a budget breaker.

It can be the same type of argument, as jumping from a fully loaded Alero to an base Intrigue.

Once of Saturn's greatest appeal to some people, is knowing they paid the same price as all the other people. Now if Saturn would streamline their broad range of configuration within a singular model, I think it would help to lesser the confusion amongst many consumers.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay folks, let's stick to the Intrigue in this discussion. It is being overtaken with conversation that should be taking place elsewhere.

Anyone is free to make set up any comparo whatsoever over on the Comparisons Board.

This is a single-vehicle dedicated discussion - let's keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I would(and did) compare the Intrigue to other non domestic brands. Camry V6, Accord V6, Maxima and Passat come to mind. Again, got my completely loaded GLS for a hair over $24K and it is much better equipped than an Accord or Camry at that price. Ditto that on the Passat. Not sure what fully loaded Maxi GLEs are going for now as Nissan seems to be discounting them heavily. I'll stand by the fact that for $24K, there is(or was) not another car available with the features, performance, or style the Intrigue has(or had). Today, one could get a base Intrigue for probably just a bit over $20K. Thats alot of car for the money. V6, ABS, four wheel discs, alloys, the usual power features, and a 5 year 60K warranty. Try getting a comparably equipped Honda or Toyota for that.
    FINALLY installed the K&N filter last night. I haven't done any high speed runs yet, but off the line the car seems a bit more responsive. Kind of like the slight difference you notice when the A/C is on or off. I would imagine the free flowing nature of the filter will be more noticeable at higher engine speeds. We will soon put it to the test. As for cleaning intervals, K&N says 50 to 100K unless in an extremely dusty area. I don't live in what I would consider an extremely dusty area, but I was amazed at how dirty the stock filter was at only 14,500 miles. Also, how expensive and how many applications does the K&N cleaning and re-oiling kit last? I figure I'll check it every 25K or so. Installing was pretty simple as well, did it in about 30 minutes.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Since the subject of in-dash 6 disk CD changes come up, I figure I'd throw some helpful info in.

The days of carrying 4000 CDs are effectively over. I'm not going to debate the Intrigue's lack of an in-dash player vs. the TL/CL. What I am suggesting is that if you want to take advantage of what's out there now instead of arguing over what car is better because it uses or doesn't use late 80's "high tech", take a look at this:

SavingsLots.com

That's a darn good price for this unit. Compare it to Crutchfield and their supposed discount:

Crutchfield.com

The Pioneer CD player oscarz2 and I purchased sounds FANTASTIC!!! People swear I changed the speakers; highs are crystal clear and lows deep and throbbing, which tells you how good the factory speakers are in the GL/GLS. Check out the list of features including the 200 watts, independent bass/treble control for the front AND rear, 24 station presets (great if you go bewteen cities--set the stations then switch once the signal fades) then ask if you would put an in-dash CD player in ANY car.

Did I mention it's XM Satellite ready?

jgriff : Still apples and oranges.

oldsman : What is the model # of that K&N? Which car is suppose to be for?
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    oldsman01 - you can't convince jgriff that some people don't pay MSRP for cars. He only looks at MSRP when comparing vehicles, and to him your $29K (MSRP) Intrigue vs. a $29K TL is a no-brainer...

Like you, I compared the Intrigue to a comparably equipped Accord before buying, and I saved about $2K. But in jgriff's world I paid $2K more for my Intrigue than the Accord would have cost.
  • amuhalukamuhaluk Member Posts: 1
    This problem may have already been discussed but I could not find it. I have a 3.5L 99 Intrigue GL which fails to start from time to time. When this occurs, the motor will "turn over" but will not start. Usually, it starts on the second attempt or sometimes the third and has never completely failed to start. However, the problem is very annoying. I have had it in the dealership several times and they can neither find a trouble code nor duplicate the problem. I have 34k miles on the car and would like to get this problem fixed before the warranty runs out. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I have had several problems with the car including: replacing window motors, replacing the fan motor for the a/c, the 3rd brakelight went out which required that the entire spoiler be replaced, the brakes pulsated unusually and had to be replaced and a motor seal had to be replaced. However, I am not unhappy with the car. Of course I do not like problems, but the car has many positive qualities that make it very enjoyable.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I also find the "Oldsmobile" badge to be out of character with my car, especially the font on "Oldsmobile" contrasting with the font of the model name. In addition, the "Oldsmobile" badge is off on the side while all the other badges are centered on the car, and the lettering is sized awkwardly. I have pictures of the rear with and without the Olds badge (the without is a fakery, though). If you are interested, the picts are at http://www.geocities.com/aurora402002

The removal has cleaned the rear up a bit, although it is obviously a minor change. I used dental floss and 3M Release Agent sparingly. The removal went quite smoothly.

I imagine the addition of the Rocket badge to an Intrigue would give it an attractive custom look. There's actually a bit of heritage in not having the Olds name on the car as the original Aurora didn't feature it for the first few years.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    I HAVE A 2001, PCS .

I feel that the steering is heavy and while on the gmservice.com website I found an article referring to magnesteer and its operation and differences with conventional racks.

In this bulletin it says that some models that use magnesteer have three programmable levels of assist. Factory, more firm and less firm and that the module only be reprogramed on customer complaint.

My request to you if you will, is to browse through your fancy manuel to see if there is any reference to this and if it applies to our cars.

Thanks in advance
    amuhaluk - keep the key held in the "start" position until the engine starts. When mine starts rough I just hold the key and a few seconds later it starts. You may be turning and releasing too soon.
  • shanianshanian Member Posts: 26
    It could be Cam shaft position sensor. Had more or less same problem. Would not start first attempt, but always started 2nd attempt. Dealer on first attempt did not fix it, sencond attempt they changed the cam shaft position sensor, and all has been well since then.
    00 GL, 38 k.
    sounds like crankshaft sensor.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    It is the crankshaft sensor. there are two sensors.
    I had mine in about 7 times. They would not even look at the sensors because there was no trouble code and they could not duplicate.
    This is why i turned my car in early. They could have cared less.
    Take it to a dealership that is proactive.
    Sweeeeeet.

I'd be enjoying an Aurora right now too if the clowns at GM hadn't made the Aurora interior smaller than the Intrigue (they did lengthen the seat track slightly in later build 2001 and later Auroras but not enough).

My Oldsmobile name actually looks pretty good on my Intrigue only because the dealership's name uses a very nice script on the left of the license plate. So when looking at the car from the rear, it looks symetrical. That's the only reason I had them leave it on there.

BTW, anybody know where I can get Star Trek license plate holders?
    I've glanced at the section on steering before and don't recall anything about the level of effort being programmed, but I will look again and will let you know if I find anything. Me thinks that if one had the GM "tech II" scan tool, there are alot of things that can be reprogrammed on the Intrigue. Anybody have any ideas on what one of those costs? What about a non GM(i.e. Snap On) scan tool costs?
    First thing I did when I got mine home was peel the dealership decals off. I was also a bit ticked that they put their plate on the front as once the bracket is mounted, you can't remove it unless you want three holes in your bumper.
    Why do you say the interior is smaller? Front/Rear leg room is bigger, front/rear shoulder room is bigger, rear hip room is bigger, and rear head room is bigger. The only things smaller are front head and hip room. Plus, the EPA passenger volume for the Aurora is 104.4 cu.ft. compared to 98.6 for the Intrigue. The Intrigue does have a noticeably larger trunk, though.
    I took the front bracket off and left the holes. They were barely visible on my bronze mist car.
    Looked a lot cleaner.
    The intrigue has more usable room. On mine i would put the seat all the way back then rock the seat bottom up. This would give me almost 2 inches of space between my knee and the knee bolster/ignition area.

In the aurora my knee was touching the dashboard and the console. Mostly the console. The aurora is designed like a cockpit so there is less spread out room for my legs.

The backseat had less legroom than the intrigue.
    The bottom cushion was down low and because I could not pull the front seat up like I could in the intrigue, there was noticeably less legroom back there.

In the headroom department the intrigue wins by a mile. The intrigue has an open green house feeling with incredible visibility.
    The winshield header is away from my forehead which gives great upward visibility and makes it easy to see overhead stoplights.

The aurora has a low windshield header and rearview mirror. This blocks forward visibility and makes one lean forward to see stoplights.

Both one2one and I looked at the aurora but each decided that it was a step backwards not forwards. Why pay more fo a car that has less room?

The manufacturer's specs don't tell the whole story when it comes to interior room.
    My current car is an impala.
    I am 6'8" by the way.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    I have to agree with b4z, the Intrigue is much more spacious (at least in the front seat) compared to the Aurora. It seems to be the "cockpit" like interior that makes it a tight fit. If only the Aurora Interior was designed more like the Intrigue, my next car decision would be much easier.

I am also tall, better than 6'4", thus leg room is quite important.
    I e-mailed Delphi a while back about steering issues. I copied them as well as the responses:

1st E-MAIL TO DELPHI
    I have a 99 Olds Intrigue/3.5L. I guess it has Magnasteer. However, power-steering performance is poor (not enough assist). Dealer says GM is aware of this problem but "no fix". My question is: can it be replaced easily with magnasteerII and if so, would it give more assist?
    Thanks.

2nd E-MAIL TO DELPHI
    I originally took my 99 GLS/3.5 to the dealer
    for a complaint with my steering because of a minor shudder/vibration when turning at low speeds (such as backing out of a driveway or turning when barely moving). I also complained that the steering felt heavier than before. When I picked up my car, the paperwork stated, "no fix from GM at this time". When I asked the service advisor if they acknowledge my complaint and confirmed the symptoms, she said yes. Basically, that's why I inquired about Magnasteer II. I guess it's a moot point based on what the engineer stated. The shudder/vibration has since decreased (I'm assuming the much colder temperature outside is a factor) but the steering is still too heavy in my opinion. Much more so at higher speeds and I realize that is how it's designed but I've driven other 99 Intrigues that have lighter steering than mine so that's what led to the complaint. I'm just searching for a way to boost the power-assist at any speed, especially higher speeds. Any remedies? Thanks.

1st RESPONSE FROM DELPHI
    "I'm not aware of any problems that exist on the Intrigue regarding not enough assist. In order to provide any insight on how to improve it, I would need to know more information about the problem. For example: 1)What speed/speeds does this occur? 2)Is it a lack of Assist (efforts spike up when steering wheel is moved rapidly or in the corner during a parking maneuver) or is the complaint just high effort? 3)Does the steering appear to stiffen with vehicle speed? Regardless of the issue, changing from Magnasteer to Magnasteer II is not a simple task on a vehicle that is not already equipped. It would require a new controller, steering column, and wiring harness. In addition, from the little information we have, I doubt that Magnasteer II would help this
    situation. Magnasteer II systems are usually tuned to stiffen the System more, and it sounds as if the steering efforts are already too high."

Delphi Saginaw Steering Systems
    Communications Staff
    3900 Holland Road

2nd RESPONSE FROM DELPHI
    "Sorry for the delayed response, but I was waiting for some information on the Intrigue controller. Based on this gentleman's explanation, it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the system, except that it is tuned too heavy for his preference. Some
    Magnasteer controllers have an option which allows the dealer to increase or decrease steering efforts for situations such as this. I
    have been informed that the Intrigue controller does NOT have this capability. It is possible that he has a gear which is on the high end of the range for steering effort, or a pump which is on the low end of the range for flow. In such a case, changing the component would help the situation. I wouldn't recommend changing these, however, without an indication from the dealer that the steering efforts in this vehicle are heavier than normal. If the efforts are typical for the way this car has been tuned, then changing parts will not have a significant effect, and could actually make the steering a little heavier yet. I'm sorry I don't have any solutions for you. There's not much more I can offer. His best course of action is to work with the dealer if this is truly at the complaint level."

Delphi Saginaw Steering Systems
    Communications Staff
    3900 Holland Road

Just a footnote: The shudder/vibration went away on its own a while back. Maybe the dealer did something and didn't tell me. Since tweaking my suspension and changing tires, my steering is more comfortable (mainly attributable to understeer) but that's just me. I would still take a little more assist if I could get it.
    one2one : Too bad you don't live in Ontario. You can get official Ontario license plates with the Star Trek logo on them. They are quite cool, but my wife won't let me get one.

oscarz : Interesting.
    There were quite a few complaints about a shudder about 2 years ago on this thread. Mine had it and I think 1 guy even turned his car in because of it.
    It was only a low speeds and often while backing.
    Mine did it but they could never duplicate it.
    I remember one time i was doing a three point turn. i pulled into a drive way, threw it into reverse and turned the wheel left and the whole car groaned. It was so loud that pedestrians stopped in their tracks.
    Add it to the list of the things that were never fixed on my car.
    What b4z said.

I'm 6'8" too. I discounted the Chrysler LHS/300M for the same reasons (though I tried really, really hard to find a way to fit :-)
    Cool.... :-)
    My wife wants the University of Toronto plate. I said no way as I'm a Queen's U grad. Perhaps we will compromise and get the square dancing association plates.

;-)
    When I test-drove the Intrigue, it definitely had more head room and trunk space. However, it didn't seem to be bigger in any other respect. I really like the way the Aurora surrounds me. Perhaps, though, it's because I'm only 6'. I thought both the Intrigue and the Aurora had great visibility, though my nod would probably have to go to the Intrigue.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    oldsman01, glad someone else has finally put a K&N filter in their Intrigue. I love mine and would never go back.

rjs200240, that is ONE HANDSOME AURORA and I love the personalized license plate. I've never actually sat in an Aurora so I dunno how I'd fit. I'm 6'4" but most of my height is from the torso up so headroom is VERY important to me. Doesn't sound like I'd fit in an Aurora. Sounds like a lot of us Intriguers are tall guys.

amuhaluk, I have that starting problem too, exactly like you describe. Apparently it's one of those "features" of the car... wink wink, like the dimming headlights. Drives me crazy but, as you well know the dealership "can't duplicate." It's so intermittent and unpredictable though, so I haven't done anything about it.

Sounds like quite a few of us are Star Trek fans too. Now how would THAT be on the back of an Intrigue? (A Starfleet insignia). Hmmm....
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    May be fuel pump / temporary lack of gas.

My Malibu sometimes starts from the second attempt. I notice that it never happens with my wife, and happens with me only when I am in hurry, and the car was not driven for long time - at least the whole night, or longer.

We discussed the problem on Malibu board, and one participant (sorry, do not remember who) wrote that he knows the reason.

The key out to be left in the "On" position for a second or two before starting engine, for fuel pump to build pressure. The gas drains back to tank from fuel lines while sitting long enough, and it takes some time to pump it back.

Looks reasonable explanation for me, at least with my car.

Of course, this is Malibu, not Intrigue. However, I have impression, that GM W-body cars have the same basic design of the fuel system...
  • pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    For those of you with late model Intrigues with the Precision Sport Package, what were your OEM tires? I'm looking to replace the Eagle LS' on my '99 which provided a great blend of performance and comfort, and I'm wondering what is currently the premium OEM tire. I believe, but am not sure, that I read a prior posting saying someone replaced their OEM Eagle RSA's. Thank you.
    Has anyone heard anything about the Final 500 Intrigue that was shown at the NAIAS this year? It looked pretty neat, but will it actually be made? It seems like it would be getting close to the end of production by now. The Eldorado line just finished, and I think the Intrigue is supposed to stop in May. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it. I'd definitely have to go see one if they do it.
    You have GOT to sit in an Aurora! No, DRIVE it. I had so much fun pushing that V-8. The sound it makes fuels the spirit and boy does it feel good too! If you're ready for a new ride and the Aurora fits in every way, I say go for it. At least test drive it. The interior is very welcoming.
    Production on the Intrigue runs until June and it doesn't take long to make 500 cars. I'm sure they are coming. Did you talk to your dealer?
    one2one- I have to say, out of all of the cars I sat in at the Dallas auto show, the Aurora was one of the most impressive. I liked it better than the Audi A6, Acura TL, and the Volvo S60. If I were going to buy a car I would definitely consider the Aurora 4.0. But we need an SUV or wagon to haul stuff, so we are leaning towards an Envoy.
    Thanks for the info you posted a while back re: struts. Interestingly, I was pricing struts at GM Parts at Brasington accessible through www.gmotors.com, and for whatever it's worth, they say that all Intrigues for the '99 model year were similarly equipped. The parts manager said that his catalogue showed only one part number for the front: 22400000 and one: 22400001 for the rear regardless of trim line. BTW fonts are $113.28 @; rear $75.90 @!!! Wouldn't it be great if for once dealers gave the same answer to the same question?
    For 99, my list from GMpartsdirect.com shows the following:

FRONTS- 88945802 (Road Response Silver)$57
    22400000 (Reactek)$98
    REARS- 88945803 (Road Response Silver)$34
    22400001 (Reactek)$66

My dealer list shows same part #s but prices are not shown.
    God what a price difference; thanks very much for the info!

Am I correct in assuming that 22400000 & 22400001 (Reactek) are the sportier, i.e., stiffer struts, because they're more expensive?

Also, for some reason whenever I run a search for struts and shocks on GMpartsdirect (whether by model info or by VIN) the only response I get is "No parts were found matching your search". Naturally, when I enter the part numbers you provided, they show up as struts at the prices you passed on. How did you run your search? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I think they are still RSA's.. Before you purchase those though, consider reviews of Michelin Pilot XGTH4's and Dunlop SP Sport A2's on Tirerack.com. RSA's are not highly regarded tires in general, and OEM supplied tires like Eagle LS's and RSA's are pretty old designs that can be bettered by similarly priced Michelin, Dunlop, and Yokohama offerings (ok Michelin is more expensive!).
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I got a printout from parts guy at dealer, then searched online for those parts. ACdelco.com is a site where you can search by vehicle and it lists same part#s.

Oddly enough, my OEM struts (which sit in my garage) are labeled D7 on the fronts and CK on the rears. Both say "DELPHI" and "specifically made for Intrigue" on them, so I don't know how they relate to the Road Response or Reactek if at all.

To add more confusion, A 99 Regal LS brings up 3 part #s for front and 4 for rear (2 of which are the same "Road Response Silver" listed for Intrigue). Start changing the year of the vehicles and you will need to hire a detective to figure out those riddles.

This is what drove me to the Sensatracs. I had no way of gauging where I stood with my OEMs in the stiffness/valving category. And based on all I could find, I believed the Sensatracs would provide the comfiest ride with the softest valving. 2 people (one a staffer at Tenneco-the makers of Sensatracs) said Sensatracs are softer than Reflexs. After I got the Sensatracs, I called Tenneco again and said they felt firmer than my OEMs. They said OEMs usually have the softest ride. I said !@#$!%^@#^@$$^&amp;#%^&@# (to myself of course). I guess that was the important question I should have asked beforehand but I didn't think it even possible at the time.

There is a happy ending though. I'm very satisfied with the way my car feels now. The Sensatracs provide an excellent combination of comfort with control/stability. Either they have broken in some over the last week, or I'm just used to them now. Either way, I like them and will recommend them. Keep in mind, I have no sway bars on, Yokohama Avid Touring tires are brand new at 32 psi, SLP rear STB, Next-Level front STB, and my comfort is probably the next persons discomfort.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I, too, think the Aurora interior is the most handsome I've seen in a domestic sedan. Unfortunately, they still want too much money for em. There is a handsome 2001 Bronze Mist Aurora 3.5 (new) on the lot here. I sent an email today to the dealer asking if he'd sell it for 22K. Unlikely that'll happen. Still, I'd love the upgraded interior.

I spoke with someone at the dealer via email and he confirmed the final 500 were going to be made, that I could order one if desired but they had no plans to get one.

I don't think my Intrigue's occasional starting problem is fuel pump related. It mostly happens when it's warm and it's been driven a short while before. I almost never have a problem with first morning startups.

Let's not forget the Bridgestone Potenza RE950s for replacement tires. I love mine and they have great ratings on tirerack.com as well.