Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Your car is possessed. I think the trouble code for that is 666.
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    It's a demon of a car! Good thing I bought an extended warranty, I think I'm going to need it on this one.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    If your commute includes alot of highway travel, I highly recommend the Intrigue. It was born for highway(and high speed) travel. Last fall I took a 9 1/2 hour business trip to Chicago and chose to drive and did not get tired one bit. The seats are very supportive and the performance is very lively. Taurus and Sable were recommended because they are cheap to buy(relative to equipmemnt level) but there are some excellent deals on Intrigues and should problems crop up, you can save yourself(or company) repair expenses because all new Oldsmobiles come with a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty.
  • drmaydrmay Posts: 8
    My '01 GX Intrigue is been a honey so far. Nothing has broke. Performance wise I like the high speed handling...No nose dives on hard cornering, tracks straight and is steady on ice and snow with the Trac/control. Passes everything without breathing hard, but you have to wait a little while for that kickdown shift. Driving position is a bit Euro though. I'm 6'5" / 255 lbs so the power seat gets used to the limits of adjustment which means my arms are streached out. I'm expecting the engine to last a long long time...I mean 2000 rpm at 110Kph... thats loafing. Stereo could be better maybe.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    My Intrigue did not come with an air filter but I got one and put one in. Once you do it and learn how, it's easy to do but I thought it was quite difficult the first time because my manual was not very instructive. It's almost like they want the dealer to make the money from it. Also, I think FRAM makes a passenger compartment air filter that's cheaper. I'm going to replace mine this year with it instead.

I can't resist saying: And thus we see the true colors of the one who has caused so much grief on this board. One can only hope the Intrigue does right by him... and leaves him stranded somewhere in the desert.

Someone was asking about the different interior colors. I always thought mine was neutral until I saw a new one on the lot. It turns out my interior is mocha. I like the neutral look much better. That's another reason why I was possibly wanting to get into a different Intrigue.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Let's see if I've got this right. There's a spot under the cowl to hold a cabin air filter, regardless of whether one came factory installed or not. If the car came with one from the factory, then there is also a cover on the cowl to make access easier. If it didn't come factory equipped, then the cowl must be removed to access it. How long did it take you the first time?
  • winter9winter9 Posts: 98
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=auto week&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09432564

Delete the space in middle of the second "auto week" after pasteing address to make it work. (Can't post anything longer than 115 characters)

It will not get the 4.2L six - it gets a 5.3L V8!

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I saw that, and it's good news for Buick. I think that GM is really trying to make Buick work again and this is a great addition to the family. I guess that means the Bravada finishes production this year then?

The name isn't great though, Rainier?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Which costs more, the $12,000 car or the $15,000 car? Sounds simple, but as we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Point well taken.

My post was simply to say that legero8's problems are not indigenous to all Intrigues. He has had only 1 Intrigue that has been really bad. If he swears off GM for eternity, I can't say I blame him. However, one car does not indict every vehicle of that make.

If legero8's reasoning about the quality of the Intrigue is sustained, then my experience proves he just got a lemon or the car was in an accident before he purchased it, despite what his sources say. I have had 2 -- count 'em TWO -- Intrigues. One from "problem" year 1998 and a 2001. I have never had anywhere near the problems he's had on the 98 and the '01 has been outstanding.

I don't know what happened to create his problems. But Intrigue overall quality should not be called into question becuase of this guy's problems with his first and only (and might I add used) Intrigue. My first was a demo with 20K miles. I cranked it to 80K. The 2001 was brand new, 11 miles on the odometer. Over 20k now and has been flawless.

Read his posts. Read mine. I try to look at all vehicles objectively and point out the positives and negetives. I don't engage in wholesale bashing of any manufacturer although I will disassemble myths about them. I'm just telling our new owners/interested owners to use discernment when reading (justifiably) angry posts like legero8's.
    I'm sorry but I don't know what a cowl is. Are you talking about the plastic covering beneath the windshield and below the wipers?

What I did was leave the winshield wipers upright then take the spray tube out of the way. I don't believe the Intrigues that came with the air filter are any different than those that did not. There is one ancillary plastic fastener on the side of the plastic covering and I just popped it off and left it off because it's not necessary to hold the cover in place. There is a main plastic screw that you'll undo and then you'll be able to tip the plastic covering upwards toward the windshield to access the filter. The filter sits 1/4 the way in from the fender and in a horizontal position. Someone here had posted pictures of where the filter was (and how dirty his old one was) and it really helped me do it the first time. All this talk about it really makes me want to replace mine. The FRAM filter is part# CF8392 - COMPARTMENT AIR FILTER. I think I'll check at an auto parts place today for it. (I hope it'll be cheaper than the dealer which was $23).
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Posts: 91
    How come users are chastised for posting off topic comments but the host can SPAM us with articles?

Notice when you hit the link there are NINE ads to the right for you!
  • msw13msw13 Posts: 51
    Thanks for the reply...I agree that one lemon does not condemn a model....some cars do get an disproportionate quantity of defective parts installed...GM's suppliers are the ones who need to improve, as a car is only a reflection of its parts....that is why the Japanese brands have better quality, their suppliers have a better partnership with the manufacturers, if they do well, the suppliers do well...I too try to disavow statements that aren't supported with fact....Everyone on this forum should realize that there are many perspectives being aired, and some will be negative, some positive. Anyway, Intrigues are like most GM cars; pretty good overall, but some quality issues are present...BTW, I have a '99 GL with 56K and have had the ABS Motor and and the Drivers' power window regulator replaced. Otherwise, no problems, and I bought it used, for 8k, in Dec. '01. But, I'm not surprised by the negative posts from some owners...And I have read his posts and YOURS...that is why I wrote the last one..
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think you are mixing up apples and oranges. First of all, some off-topic commentary is always allowed. A host will only ask it to stop if it is becoming argumentative, disruptive or has overtaken a discussion to the point where the subject of the discussion has been completely drowned out.

As to the "host spam", well I don't follow you at all - anything Edmunds.com related is not off-topic in any discussion for the simple reason that Edmunds.com is our sponsor. We figure that what goes on on Edmunds.com is a big part of the reason our members are here, so we figure our members will be interested in developments and innovations on our host site.

Of course if you are not interested, you certainly do not have to follow any links provided. That's your choice.

As to the advertising, well, let me ask you this - how much is your annual membership fee here? Hmm? Oh yeah, this is a totally free and complementary service to our valued customers.

I'm pulling your leg a bit there, but please understand that somehow we have to pay the bills. Otherwise how can we exist?

I hope you understand - if you want to discuss this any further, please drop me an email.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Ads are a fact of life on the web. I just hope Edmunds doesn't start using those obtrusive ads, like the Mercury Marauder that screeches across your screen. That would seriously hinder my appreciation of Town Hall.
    Anyone had or believe in brake servicing in between pad changes? I got an oil change/ tire rotation done today and they "recommended" it. I am always suspicious of this kind of service I've never done before. Will the brake last longer if I get it?
  • tenn1975tenn1975 Posts: 6
    thanks for the info on the TSB about the black mirrors turning to a white chalky haze. i found that same TSB at nhtsa.
    Oldsmobile customer service and also my dealer couldn't pull it up or find it. does anyone know what the TSB says needs to be done to remedy the problem?
    thanks again.
    What did they want to do? Brake service is changing pads and turning rotors. If you go more than 2 years between pad changes, lubing the caliper pins and replacing the brake fluid (by bleeding the brakes until the fluid is clear again) isn't a bad idea but it's not on any maintenance schedule I've ever seen. Oh yeah, if you don't use your parking brake, lubing the cable ought to be done periodically also.
    Is the air intake right above the filter? I have a small air intake by the right fender and a larger one in front of the driver. There is no screen where the filter would be and the sketch in my manual looks different than my car.
    dindak - I just had that brake service done this week to my rear brakes by my dealer. They clean and adjust the rear brakes to the tune of US$55. They also adjust the parking brake. I went in expecting to buy new front brake pads (since I have nearly 40K miles), but they told me I still have about 40% on the fronts, and 75% on the rear. They recommended the rear cleaning, so I said what the hell. Total waste of money, IMO.

Another note - I had them check out the grinding on the front right wheel. They had checked it out in January when the car was under warranty, and had supposedly fixed it. This time they told me my left front strut and strut bearing were bad, and they would fix it at no charge since it was under warranty when I originally brought it in. I got a free strut, but the grinding is still there. Oh well, at least it didn't cost me anything. I'm wondering if the grinding could be the steel belts on the tire, since they are bald. I ordered a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2's, which should be in next week.
    They wanted to clean and adjust the brakes. The guy said they were ok but wearing unevenly. A brake service would prolong the life of the pads he said. C$39.95 for the front and another $39.95 for the back. Sounds like a lot of money to me. Unless it increases the life 50%+, I don't see that it will be worth it. I've never had it done before and my pads have lasted as long as they should have.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Outside Rear View Mirror Housing Turns Chalky/Dull (Color/Clear Coat Mirror) #00-08-51-001
    Outside Rear View Mirror Housing Turns Chalky/Dull (Color/Clear Coat Mirror)
    1998-2000 Buick Century, Park Avenue, Regal

1998-2000 Chevrolet Cavalier, Lumina, Malibu, Metro, Monte Carlo, Prizm, Tracker, Venture

2000 Chevrolet Impala

1998-2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, Silhouette

1999-2000 Oldsmobile Alero

1998-2000 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Am, Sunfire, Trans Sport

1998-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, S/T Models and M/L Van

1998-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition
    Some customers may comment that the black plastic housing around the outside rear view mirror turns chalky or is dull in color.

Correction

Caution
    Sanding dust, solvents and paint are potential health hazards. Make sure to wear an approved mask or fresh air supplied respirator that is appropriate to the task being performed.

Refinish both mirrors (Black WA 8555 with a gloss of 30%) following the GM Approved Refinish Materials Booklet GM4901M-D-2000 (GM4901M-D-F-2000 (French)) under the flexible substrates section. Refer to your paint manufacturer for specific process and application process for plastics.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    A1240 Mirror, Outside Rear View Color/Clear Coat - Right Side Use published labor operation time
    A1241 Mirror, Outside Rear View Color/Clear Coat - Left Side Use published labor operation time
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    It's good Buick is getting the Bravada(they should get the minivan too) but why not with the 4.2 liter inline 6 engine. Yes, the 5.3 liter is more powerful, but the inline 6 is no weakling and it is so smooth. That engine is one of the main reasons I would actually consider one of those SUVs.
  • bjl3bjl3 Posts: 22
    Recently someone here posted about a Tranny rebuild done on there Intrigue. I was wondering what the symptoms were. I have a 99 with the 3800 that just turned 30,000 miles today. My wife is the main driver of this car, so I don't drive it everyday. But it seems to shift to quickly at times. Nearing the end of warrenty and was just wondering.
  • perdneeperdnee Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Intrigue. Love the car but have a few problems which the dealership can not duplicate to fix.

1. Does anyone else have a problem with their cruise control not keeping the engine at stead RPM's? Mine goes up then way down then back up again just to maintain a steady speed. I have motion sickness and it is very noticable to me. Seems only driver can sense the sensation of it.

2. I have a creeking in the front left of the car when turning into parking spaces, etc. Dealer doesn't hear it. It's the type of noise that is hard to give exact location and is not real loud.

Anyone else have these problems, or any suggestions....would be greatly appreciated.
    filter is not right underneath either of the screens. It's more toward the middle of the car but still on the passenger half.

I notice that when I go through automatic car washes my mirrors turn chalky too. I think it's that liquid wax they use. I just buff it off with a towel and some of my own wax. I can't believe your dealer can't find the TSB. My dealer "couldn't find" the TSB about the air dam either until I found it for them either.
    "Clean and adjust brakes" is another way of saying "give me some $ for some peace of mind." Disc brakes are self-adjusting and self-cleaning. The piston boot is designed to "retract" the piston just slightly away from the rotor when pressure is released. The piston seal is designed to hold the piston in place, yielding only to the "knockback" caused by the rotor irregularities. Knockback and retraction are standard disc brake tests that the manufacturers do the characterize the design. Our knockback/retraction machine cost $150,000 US.

As far as the cleaning part, what's to clean? There's nowhere for anything to collect. The spinning rotor is going to fling off anything loose that might adhere to it. It's conceivable that some rust flakes or lining dust might collect inside the hat section of the rear rotor but so what? Doesn't hurt anything.

The parking brake (being a drum brake) has a self-adjusting mechanism that automatically adjusts the shoes when you apply it.

One of my favorite repair shops pulled this on me once but it was on a minivan with drum brakes at the rear. I paid them and told them never again.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if the caliper pin lube dries out, the caliper might stick and cause uneven pad wear. Maybe this is what they want to do. It's a 10 minute job per side so $40 is pretty salty. Lubing the pins should be part of the pad replacement service and the lube should certainly last as long as the pads.
    I had my tranny rebuilt under warranty. There were no symptoms other than it didn't go into overdrive. First time I had it on the highway (I bought it used) and saw 2900 rpm at 70mph, I thought something was wrong.

Later I discovered there is a TSB out on the overdrive clutch burning out and that's what happened to mine (probably before I got it.) The dealer charged GM 18 hours plus parts so I suspect it would have been well over $1000.
  • tensortensor Posts: 25
    My 98 Intrigue had a transmission problem which was the deciding factor in my trading it at 70K miles. It would accelerate and decelerate fine, 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1. However, if you were in overdrive and wanted it to shift 4 to 3, the car would shake. On the highway it wasn't too noticeable. In town, say 30-40 mph, the shake was pretty bad.
  • winter9winter9 Posts: 98
    My wife also has a 99 w/3.8. This motor makes very good torque at low rpms so the tranny is calibrated to take advantage of this and consequentially shifts very early. Parenthetically, this is one reason why the 3.8 is so fuel efficient. Unless you really put your foot into it, my wifes car often changes gears under 2000 rpm. From what you describe - this may be perfectly normal behavior for the 3.8s.
    When I first got my 02 Intrigue, I did not like the way the tranny was calibrated because I was familiar with the way my wife's 99 shifted. It seemed to hang on to a gear forever before it would shift. I like it now that I have become accustomed to it and can feather the throttle back if I want it to shift earlier. The 3.5 does not make as much low-end torque so the tranny is calibrated to shift at a higher rpm. If you are used to driving something that revs higher (i.e. like a 4 banger), I can see where you would question something that shifts so early.