Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    You should be able to find a 99 or 00 Intrigue at a very reasonable price. The 3800 has a good punch, but the 3.5 liter DOHC V6 has some very serious power when you rev it up. I've actually considered an SLP exhaust for mine. Seems a guy that used to post here alot put one on his. Now that the Cadillac CTS has won my heart, I'm not going to put any more money in the Intrigue. I'm just going to drive it until I can afford the Caddy. Not that it's a bad car and maybe my previous post seemed a bit negative, so for the record I'll say that for the price the Intrigue is still a hard car to beat. I'd look for a GL model as you get a few extras like factory fog lamps, climate control, and body colored mirrors on that model. As for getting a CTS, I don't have alot to put down on a car right now so I would probably have to do a lease. Part of me says to just wait a year or so when the new even more powerful V6 is available, but another part of me wants the car now:) Somehow I knew that would probably happen if I drove the car. And the one I drove was an automatic.

dindak, yeah the realities of still paying on student loans has sunk in so the CTS will probably have to wait a year or so. And I'll say, as good as the car is now it can only get better. Just like those who bought Intrigues back in 98 and early 99 and missed the 3.5 liter V6. I just hope Cadillac holds the line on pricing with this car. Olds certainly did not do that with the Aurora and even the Intrigue in their sophomore years.
    I've always used regular(87 octane) unleaded in my Intrigue. I've considered running a tank full of 93 octane just to see if that improves performance any, but haven't yet. And with gas prices as high as they are now, I don't think I will.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I just sold my Mazda Protege at 263,902 miles. It had a diet of 87 octane for 10 years... and that's what my Intrigue will be getting.

Intrigue runs fine on 87. No need to experiment.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Good post. Nice to read about your experience with the car. I have some info about the OSV Intrigue if you want. It had a Borla exhaust system (not SLP) on it, and 19"x8" Hart C-6 Evolution wheels. The tires were 255/40ZR-19 tires. Also, 13" Brembo's front and rear. I think 17" wheels might be a bit more reasonable, though... Borla doesn't have an exhaust for the Intrigue listed on their website, but perhaps they could tell you what was used on the OSV. It was lowered 1.5", and I have no idea where you could find a body kit like that. It sure is a nice looking car, though.

What I thought was interesting was the power ratings for the supercharged 3.5L V-6. 250hp @5600 rpm and 260lb-ft @4400rpm. Exactly the same (even the rpm) as the 4.0L Aurora V-8... I wonder if they gave those numbers on purpose, or if it was coincidental...
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    oldsman : I have no student loans but we have $800 day care payments, mortgage payments and 2 car payments. As a young family, it's tuff until you get some stuff paid down. CTS, 9-3 or whatever will come some day. You are right about the CTS, it's due for a new and better engine in a year or so.
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    We went through the whole arbitration process with the BBB under the Lemon Law provisions. It took alot of preparation on our part, but the arbitrator found in our favor!! I won't say that we won, because GM was ordered to repurchase it but under the BBB guidelines is allowed depreciation. The arbitrator felt that our vehicle indeed had safety issues with the headlights dimming out and the 5 attempts(alternator replacements) have not corrected the problem. It was found to be a defect, not a "design characteristic" that GM was trying to call it. After looking around at what's available in the market right now, we rejected their offer because of the $3400 depreciation.

We still have 4 years of warranty and can still continue our case with an attorney in the courts. We have taken immaculate care of this car and don't want to give it up! We rarely drive at night and it's a problem that shows up more often in colder temps. We'll wait to see if our problem worsens.....JP
    You might pass that information on to the NTSB. For the arbitration board to find that it's a "defect" after 5 alternators will add weight to the NTSB investigation.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've got 1 more car payment and the Intrigue is all mine. No student loans, no kids, no credit card debt, 1 mortgage payment, and after next month, no more car payments (the wife's car has been paid off for a few years).
  • tboomtboom Member Posts: 8
    That's how long I've had my 02 GL, Black w/ pewter leather, Bose, sunroof, and rear spoiler. So far the +'s are the Bose sound, ride, handling and acceleration. I am some what dissappointed with the fuel mileage that I am getting. Only 21 mpg. About 75% is highway. I just got rid of a 95 Olds cutlass with the 3.1V6 and was getting 26 mpg, so dropping down 5mpg was a bit of a shocker. One thing that suprises me is how easy it is to get it over 6000rpm. I'm assuming that the transmission is geared that way. Anyone else get up around 6000rpm? Otherwise the car is so far so good.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Mine shifted at between 6200 and 6300 rpms.
    You should be able to get about 30 mpg on trips.
    My gas mileage was 21-22mpg in city driving. When i did suburban driving it would go up to over 24mpg.
    You're a lucky man. I can't wait until the Intrigue is paid off. 2+ years to go.

The kid is what kills us though. Diapers, clothes, day care and other stuff add up fast!
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    My 02 also gets about 21 mpg, which was a bit of a disappointment for me also. (To be exact, I have averaged 21.182 mpg for the first 5179 miles). But I do mostly city driving, have PCS and like to stuff my right foot into it a fair amount. I have done over 25 on the highway. I'd take it easy on the revs for a new engine though. Enjoy!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Was inconvenienced this weekend by a dying car battery in my 99.. It happened Sunday after the stores closed, and Monday it was a holiday here so couldn't get a new one then either. Car does have 100,000km on it now. Would have been nice to have a gauge warning me of the low charge!
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    On my 2000GX I get 19-21 around town and average exactly 30 on a 1500 mile round trip last fall.

Re: kids, etc., you think you got expenses now, wait until they get in college!
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    We've got the 2001 GL and our mileage is also great. We just did 2015 miles(all daylight) and got 29 MPG for each tank. It would be so hard to get a car that didn't match this enconomy.

Kids & expense....we have 5. 3 wore glasses. 3 had braces. 2 got their 4 year degrees. 2 have gotten married. No more fixed expenses for kids. Now I've got 3 grandsons and am so glad I can just spoil them.
    Well I took the car in yesterday for 3 things and got 1 out of 3 done under warranty.

Air Dam - Took a printed copy of the TSB with me and gave it to them. They did agree to order the new dam and would notify me when it arrives.

Steering clunk - "Everything appears normal". (Yes, I agree, it's normal-- we all know Intrigues have steering problems!) Would somebody mind posting the steering lube TSB here, so I can print that too and carry it in? Maybe they need a little stronger "reminder" about this.

Windshield distortions - "Normal". Really? Hand-sized distortions are normal in a 20K sedan? OK, I may be kind of a whiner on this one. And I'd even consider throwing another 100 bucks on it to help out... but now I'll just take it to a different dealer rather than bargain.

Oh, I also asked if they'd mind installing the Buick STB bar. Can't do it, they said... "No aftermarket parts allowed". (Sheez! It's a GM part.) Very well guys, I'll just order it myself...
    Anyone see the recent Autoweek review of the 2002 Altima? It read alot like an Edmunds's Intrigue review. They praised the powertrain and chassis, but gave it low marks for poor quality interior materials and quality. Several owners had also commented on problems with the car's build quality.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    I must say, I have been a bit disappointed with my gas mileage as well. I have the 3.8 engine and the best I ever do is 27mpg and that is all highway (stopping at the gas station on the interstate). I just got back from a 500 mile trip. Got 26.62 (averaged about 70mph) and 25.50 (averaged about 65mph). Doing all stop and go (to the train station and back -- 1 mile away) I get barely 15mpg, which is pathetic.
    oldsman : New Altima is nice, but I would get a Max over it any day.

lmacmil : Hopefully the mortgage will be all gone by the time they get to college.

jjpowell2 : Ack! 5 kids. I don't know how you do that!?

RE: Mileage. Our Intrigue gets exactly the advertised mileage. Very happy with it given the power and that it runs on regular.
    I found it, for the benefit of anyone else... It's in the November 2001 TAC tips, titled "Clunk During a Turning Maneuver".

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200111-en.pdf#dst08

Affected Vehicles:
    1997-2002 Chevrolet Cavalier
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1999 Buick Regal
    2000-2002 Buick LeSabre, Cadillac
    DeVille and Seville, Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, Pontiac Bonneville and Sunfire
    2001-2002 Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Aurora

Some customers may comment on a
    clunk noise from the front of the vehicle
    when turning. This condition may also be
    felt throught the steering wheel when
    turned from stop to stop with the vehicle
    stationary. The clunk may be heard at 180°
    or 360° of wheel rotation in either
    direction.

This condition is commonly
    misdiagnosed as originating in the steering
    gear. Actually, it may be caused by
    inadequate lubrication of the steering
    intermediate shaft.

These are the highlights. A detailed
    bulletin will follow.

Remove the intermediate shaft and
    lubricate it with Kit GM P/N 26098237.
    With the shaft fully extended, dispense
    the full contents of the kit syringe into the
    aluminum end of the yoke opening. Use
    the rubber stopper in the kit to plug the
    yoke opening. Swing the upper yoke 90°
    to retain the rubber plug while you
    collapse the shaft as far as possible. With
    the plug removed, extend the shaft and
    inspect for minimum of 5 mm of grease
    on the shaft splines.

TIP: Stroke and extend the shaft at
    least 15 times before installing to the
    vehicle.

Thanks to Gary McAdam Dispensing Lubricant Collapsing Shaft to Distribute Lubricant.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    Had the steering "clunk" show up on my used '98 at 70K miles. Dealer immediately knew what the problem was - couldn't cover it under warranty, but did the lube for $118. Drives like new now , well worth it after over 4 years on the road. Better handling than my 2001 Taurus company car.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    My 2000 GL has a front end suspension clunk over some, not all, bumps. it seems worse for frost heaves in the road and other bumps, and then not some others at all. It does sound like something in the suspension has come loose. I thought I remembered reading here about a similar problem. Anyway, let me know if anyone has had this, and if so what it took to fix it (esp. as to TSB's et al.) I'll need any possible ammunition to get the dealer to correct it. Thanks all!
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    ketch,

I posted awhile ago that I took my 99 3.5 GLS in for what I thought was steering clunk, and it turned out to be a loose bolt in the suspension. They fixed it for free, so I didn't look for a TSB. They had also replaced the steering rack several times, so I'm thinking the loose bolt may have been their doing, not a defect. I get to drive the car a lot more now (my wife is home on maternity leave so I left her with the Blazer), and I haven't noticed any problems with the steering since that repair.
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    I'm still having problems with the OEM rotors warping. I guess I'll have to replace them. Any recommendations on aftermarket rotors/pads that have worked well for any of you?
  • oldsfinal500oldsfinal500 Member Posts: 1
    Oldsmobile Enthusiasts:

Check out the website: http://www.oldsmobile.com/intrigue/collector.html website! Although Intrigue is going away, the final 500 vehicles are going to be Collector's Edition. Will have 17" wheels, dark cherry metallic paint, premium two-toned leather interior. Based off of the Intrigue GL. Certificate of authenticity with production status of the final 500 will be included. Looks really sharp. $28,500. Production scheduled for mid-June. Contact your dealer to get one.

Ellen,

Do you work for Oldsmobile or the web site?

Are any of the final 500 coming to Canada?
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    I saw one at the Chicago Auto show in Feb and was not all that impressed. I am a big fan of the Intrigue but this one wasn't that special. Some badging and nice rims are the only thing separating it from a regular Intrigue. I was hoping it would look more like the OSV Intrigue prototype but it did not. Too bad.

With the special paint and interior I wonder how hard it would be to match it if you ever need to paint the body or replace the seats?.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Man after my own heart!

If you're looking for ground effects for the Intrigue, check out these sites:

Razzi.com

www.spoilers.com

Intrigue AfterMarket

They all look like they sell the same parts. I suppose price would be the determining factor.

Intrigue AfterMarket claims to have links to sites that support the Intrigue. I didn't dig too deeply to find out but I'm not particularly sold. But you be the judge. Most things they have seem to be for the 3.8(3800) engine so I can believe some of them. GrandPrixStore.com was on the list so that should give you an idea of how widely those sites support the Intrigue.

I found it puzzling to note that it will not come with PCS. I think it looks incredible. I just couldn't get one because it comes with a sunroof. That would make it really sharp but I could never drive it anywhere. I am leaning toward the ground effects though.

Perhaps I'll get a collector's edition Aurora for the wife, if you know what I mean :-) Maybe they will have done something with the seat track by then.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    thanks for the info. Anyone else have front end sounds not considered normal?- thanks all.
    Our Michigan buddy, now living in sunny FLA. has had multiple fixes done to his. He had the struts replaced and the caliper kit put on. This solved the problems for a while but the noises have returned.
    I think the strut bearings are another thing that is causing the noise.
    That is weird that they are not offering PCS
    on the final 500. Maybe they are trying to keep
    the price point down. No point in buying one if it is not the Ultimate intrigue.

I also noticed that the tire size is 225/55-17
    not the 235/55-17 that is on the Aurora.
    I guess they were trying to keep the diameter the
    same that the regular intrigue has.
    Even with the TSB in hand, the service "manager" just said "If the mechanic can reproduce it, we'll fix it". Sheez! The whole reason I waited until 25000 miles to take it in, was to be sure the steering clunk was pronounced enough there would be no debate.

But I skipped doing a "screaming maniac customer" fit. They are going to get me the redesigned air dam... I'll just try another dealer for the lube.

I don't know how some of you all could get 5+ alternators! The dealers are so passive about fixing anything.
    The after market ground effects look pretty good. Cover up that black strip under the door that I hate to clean!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    dindak - I'd like to ask you to take a look at four posts starting here: bigzheng17 "Lost in the Town Hall? Ask the Sedans Host for directions!" Apr 10, 2002 9:16pm. Let me know if you have any questions!

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I feel your pain. When it was still thought the shaft needed replacing, I was told the same thing. They had the nerve to go as far as saying, "You probably notice it more because you drive it all the time so it's more pronounced."

No kidding. "Ain't" that why I brought it in?

Also depends on the service manager on duty at the time you go in. The regular one I usually get is so cheap he could squeeze a penny 'till it turned white. Another I had told me to sit in the waiting area until the repair was done. This at the same dealership!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Dindak, I've enjoyed reading your posts on many sites. Your observations about the CTS and the Intrigue are correct. The CTS is a higher caliber of car than the Intrigue. Having owned many cars, including a Seville, Mazda Millenia and Cadillac Catera, I know what you're talking about. In a way, it's sometimes hard to put a finger on, because the differences can be very subtle. Then some are obvious. The composed ride and handling of a car over demanding situations. The way a transmission shifts under normal conditions and more sporty conditions. How do the various controls feel? Are the interior materials of decent quality? How do the seats fit? Does the car feel all of one piece, or disjointed? I can say that I am quite pleased with the Intrigue as a whole. Yes, fit and finish could be better, but I know it won't fall apart. There could be less road noise coming from the rear. The transmission could be more responsive in providing quicker downshifts and could be programmed to lug less in overdrive, but one learns the personality of the car and quickly adapts to it. For example, if the car is lugging in overdrive, instead of forcing a downshift with a heavy foot, leave the throttle in the same place and manually shift to third for a brief period and then shift back to Drive as appropriate. If you need a quick downshift, snap the throttle to the floor and the transmission will respond much quicker than if you gradually push the pedal to the floor. A thought. It's too bad that Cadillac did not find a way to use the 3.5 in the CTS. After all, it is the little brother of the Northstar. A little tweaking and it will easily produce more power that the current CTS engine. It's smooth, powerful and uses regular gas!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    My 2000 Intrigue that I just purchased is still covered by the 3/36 warranty. Should I ask the dealer to address the following items? The dash pad is curling and pulling away from the center A/C vents. I've seen this happen on several Intrigues, so I know mine is not an isolated case.
    Second, when I first start out in the morning,and the car is stone cold, the transmission tends to flare its shift from 3-4th gear. It will do this to a lesser degree until the car is warm. Then it shifts fine. Is this common, or should I have it looked at? Does anyone know how I can determine if my car has the air filtration system without pulling the trim at the wipers? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Well, I don't know if I'm right but I do like both the CTS and my Intrigue. Pretty much everything about the CTS is more sophisticated than the Intrigue but I think its a pay for what you get scenario since you can't compare the cars. I can't afford a CTS but maybe some day I will get there. My only big gripe with the CTS is the dash could be a little better. That said I do like it, but comparing it to a BMW dash I can see where people would say it's not quite there. The 3.5L was the engine that was suppose to go into the CTS but they killed the engine due to cost. An all new 3.6L goes into the CTS next year.
    Should you get it fixed under warranty? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Air filtration-- the only thing I can think of on the top of my head I would say to see if you have the 2 screws on the black plastic cowl on the passenger's side. If you have them plus the big round plastic cover on the cowl, you probably have it. I'm sure others could give a better answer.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    If you do not get it looked at under warranty then it will cost you money after the warranty is up.

If they can not duplicate your problem, then make sure they indicate this on your work order so that you will have leverage after the expiration time.

As for the air filtration possibility, (First stop the wipers in the up position), you can peel back the rubber hood/cowl seal on the passenger side and lift up on the plastic cover slightly and peer into the cowl area with a flashlight. As you lift up the plastic cover there will be a thin foam stickum strip along the edge. Once you get it started there is no problem getting it up. Ha ha The cover that is. The filter should be a couple of inches below this plastic cover about in line with the passenger air bag. It is about 4 by 10 inches and looks quite similar to an air breather filter. Good luck.. Make sure you replace the hood/cowl seal to ensure any fumes do not get suck in when you are driving.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    Did anyone notice on the website that the Aurora is scheduled for death next year already? Wow I thought it'd be the last of the cars to go since it's the newest but I guess Alero sells better. I thought Silhouette would go before Intrigue though. I don't like the final 500 logo. I wouldn't get one just for that. I also can't believe PCS isn't part of it but I do like that cherry color.
    Alero sells very well, they are everywhere around here. The van is easy to make as it's just a derivative of the Montana van anyway. Aurora is unique and not selling well, don't blame GM for axing it early. Better to put resources in new models like the 04 GP.
    Well, my Intrigue is under the knife as we speak. Looks like the transmission is going to have to be completely rebuilt or replaced. Three nights ago when I was driving somewhere, the car started shifting very harshly in all gear ranges. There was also a loud "whine" that varied with engine speed. Did this the entire drive trip. An hour later when I drove it again, it shifted normally and the noise was gone. Called the dealer the next day and set up an appointment and they have had it since yesterday morning. They told me that when the lowered the pan there were metal particles in it and that they were going to completely remove the transmission to do further work. He said that it will need a complete rebuild and that if the case is damaged, they will replace the whole unit. So what I thought might just be an adjustment or something has turned out to be a major problem. I also mentioned the "flicker" when I took it in so we'll see if that gets repaired. Now I'm wishing I could just bite the bullet and get that CTS:) But I'm warranted until 60K so I'm not too concerned with trading just yet.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Anyone see the trailer for this at SWEP2? I could swear in one brief scene I thought I saw an Intrigue flipping over.. Had the two amber DRL's running.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    I have done 5 1/2 months of happy motoring with the '02 and almost all is well. It has seen 2 very brief unscheduled trips to the dealer for the same minor problem - the black paint flaked off the "GL" emblem on passenger side. Minor but irritating, since the first replacement lasted only about 3 weeks before I experienced the same problem. Service advisor said there were no known problems with the part. Anyone else experience this?

Did you know.... Memorial Day (originally called Decoration Day) began as a way to honor the Civil War dead. It started when individuals, and then cities and towns, placed flowers on the graves of Confederate and Union soliders - whether buried in the North or South. The first national observance of Memorial Day occurred on May 30, 1868, in Arlington National Cemetery. Today, Memorial Day has become a way to honor all those who died in service to the nation in all wars and conflicts, from the Revolutionary War to the present. In 1968 the official holiday was moved to the last Monday in May.

Happy and safe holiday to all...
    Last night I put on the reader board in front of my the real estate office, "Thank You Veterans".

We should all remember those who protect our freedom.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I didn't notice an Intrigue in the Matrix reloaded trailer but I noticed a short shot of the CTS.

I've noticed Intrigues in the following movies:
    XFiles (of course) Meet the Parents (extremely brief shot of one in the parking lot) Jurassic Park III (that professor dude is leaving her house in montana and is in an Intrigue) and most recently I've noticed that the GMC Yukon commercial has a man in an Intrigue pulling up next to a bunch of bikes and bikers (motor) and he wimpily passes as a lady in a Yukon pulls into the spot and says "thanks for saving me a spot boys."

I echo my gratitude to all the veterans. Long may they live and honor may they receive.
    oldsman : Ack! A new transmission huh? Wow, that's pretty unusual for a GM. Sorry to hear about that. What are you driving in the mean time?

jg28 : It's scary that I have noticed all of the Intrigue appearances you mention. I guess there aren't that many though. JP3 was bad, though it had good effects.