Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    I replaced mime with a set call "Eton", made in germany with a custom crossover, lucky for me, it fits perfectly. my sony es changer is mounted in the trunk, digital out to the processor.
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    Focus,

I've had trouble with the rear window fogging a lot. The front is no worse than any other car I've had. Assuming you don't smoke in the car, the biggest cause of fogging is actually the dashboard material. Plasticizers and other materials are released and coat the inside of the glass. Parking in the sun obviously makes it worse. I guess in my car the carpet on the back deck is the problem. There isn't much you can do, other than maybe use a sun shade and clean your windows often. Does anybody know of a good anti-fogging window cleaner?
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    It's very easy to install a new head unit. Hopefully my experience will help you to avoid the same hang-up I did when I removed it from the first Intrigue.

Step 1: Lift the plastic up from around the shifter. Don't remove it completely; just enough so that you can move it out of the way for step 2.

Step 2: Insert a flathead screwdriver at the top middle of the plastic housing the radio/climate control. Slowly separate the housing. Once the clips on either side are exposed (they hold the plastic in place) carefully pull plastic away from the radio.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE HEATED SEATS!!!!
    You can easily accidently poke the heated seat buttons out of their place.

Step 3: Unscrew the radio from the brackets, pull existing wiring harness out, put the new radio in (assuming you already connected the wireharness to the new radio), screw the brackets back in place, then put plastic back on.

Summary: Remove the plastic around the shifter, remove the plastic around the radio, unscrew the brackets holding the radio and pull the wiring harness off. Attach wiring harness of new radio to car, tighten brackets, put plastic back around radio, put plastic back around shifter.

It's actually a lot easier to do than to type this.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Yes in the trunk. It is a sony 757mx and it is hooked to a Sony ES head unit.. They do make an RF version, CDX-565MXRF. I bought mine from etronics.com .

I replaced my front speakers with Polk Audio's, rears with Kenwoods. Front made a big difference, rears I didn't care so much about (who listens to their home stereo facing away from it?)so I went a bit cheaper and keep it faded 80% to the front.

One thing I find about aftermarket car stereos these days is they are getting a bit gimmicky looking. They remind me of 80's ghetto blasters with all the colours. Hard to find a restrained looking one. Nakamichi and Eclipse are pretty low profile.
    Remember to unscrew the two little finishing bolts underneath the armrest door before that?
    That's strange. I didn't have any finishing bolts under the armrest. I just pryed the plastic around the shifter (specifically closest to the radio). It could be because I didn't move all the plastic around the shifter. Once I was done, I just popped it back into place. No rattles or anything.

Imacmil::: If vcjumper removed 2 finishing bolts, I'd look for them as you perform Step 1. If you don't see them, I wouldn't worry about it. I've done it on two cars already (1998 & 2001) and didn't have any problems.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    If I ever upgrade my head unit it will have an actual volume control knob. No pushbutton volume knobs for me.
    I removed the console part around the shifter before the piece around the hvac and radio so that explains it. Makes it easy to pull off the other piece.
    I have a knob but it has detents. Does allow quick volume changes which is nice.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Buzzard4,

i purchased a chalk like thing few years ago at a car show, it worked fine, however, i don't know where to go to purchase them now.
    Just hate seeing things through a layer of haze.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    All Chev dealers in Canada are Olds dealer also so service is not a problem up here. I know that's not the case in the US so depending on the area.. it could be an issue.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I still don't understand why they would care about the GM Card earnings. It doesn't reduce their profit one penny! Has nothing to do with the dealer; only GM pays. Weird! BTW, I have cashed in almost $5,000 in GM Card earnings on five different vehicles over a seven year period. Great program (for me anyway) and the dealers never batted an eye. In fact, I never even brought up the GM Card earnings until after the deal was signed and I was in with the F&I guy. Also, I noticed in the local paper (Daily Oklahoman) 02 Intrigues advertised by the only Olds dealer left in OKC for $12,995. One-year-old used GX's, no doubt, but still a pretty good deal!
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I have an '02 which means I have the "new style" unit with RDS, etc.. I do like it quite a bit, but wouldn't mind one that can play MP3 CDs.

My question is this: is there anything that you're aware of that will allow you to retain the steering wheel volume/tuning controls on a new head unit? If that's not possible, has anyone installed a trunk-mounted changer in their Intrigue? If so, can the stock head unit control it, or am I screwed into using a "velcro'ed on" control panel?

I'm not wild about using an RF changer, but if it's my last resort, so be it. I plan to have this car for at least 5 years, and I'm not acrobatic enough to manually change CDs in traffic (and would like MP3 capability as well). Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I went to the auto show at the Texas fair a few days ago. It was kind of sad not seeing the Intrigue in the Oldsmobile section. They had the Final 500 Aurora there too, on a pedestal of course. I really liked the 17" wheels they put on it. Of course it had all of the final 500 badging too. I guess the Aurora is going away soon, not sure when. It's too bad we need a SUV or pickup, otherwise we might get one.

The G35 coupe was also there, and we got to sit in it. What a cool car! I think the specs said 280 hp and 290 ft. lbs torque. Sure would be fun to drive.
    g35 coupe is quite a looker, I prefer it to the 350z.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    My flicker is very similar to the one Moonshadow described and I get the "daytime flicker" known as the A/C blower motor slowing momentarily. The reason I don't buy the AIR pump theory as I have tested mine at full load(heater fan on high, seat heaters on, headlights on, rear defogger on, and stereo blasting) and no flicker while at times when there has been light load, it flickers like crazy. When I was out of town for a week and the car was parked at the airport, the night I drove it home was probably the worst so sitting parked for a week seemed to have something to do with the problem. I plan to take it back in soon to have the noises I'm hearing in the front end checked and I will certainly mention the flicker and the TSB relating to it.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    Tuesday saw the death of my beloved Intrigue. A bad accident will most likely end in her being declared a total loss. They always say you're lucky if you're not seriously hurt. Sigh. I hope none of you ever have to see that day with your Intrigue. It's truly heartbreaking.
    Thats no way for a car to go but glad you are ok, you'll find a new car and start another "relationship" soon.
    sad news indeed.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Still got the Formula. It will take a while to find THE buyer as it's a rare bird... hardtop with auto trans. Most kids want a TA with 6-speed and t-tops. The Aquatread III's are wearing great so far. Almost 30,000 on them at this point. Rotated them a couple of weeks ago and they really show no appreciable wear. Wife still proclaims her appeciation, especially in the rain. My mind rests a tiny bit easier knowing I have done my best to provide a safe car for her 25-mile daily commute among the cell-talking morons in their 3-ton SUVs.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    My trusty '98 is showing it's age, so I'm starting to look around. My neighbor just got a '03 Accord EX with the new 240HP V-6, and he let me drive it - Wow! Makes my Intrigue feel like my father's Oldsmobile.

The Accord has definatley finally shed it's image of a dependable, but staid, car. It has nice curves, and the interior fit and finish is superb. Has a nice backlit LED intrument panel that comes on in three stages - just like the Lexus. Far quieter than the Intrigue - less road and tire noise gets into the cabin - something that always seemd a bit excessive in the Olds. Dimensions are smaller, but that's OK with me, still very comfortable in the driver's seat.

Anyway, I'm still going to keep looking, but I was truly surprised how much I liked this new Accord, after never being impressed by one before. I'd like to see what the '04 GP is like. Checked out the CTS and was underwhelmed. Other than those, GM is leaving me cold right now.
    Glad to hear you are ok. You might still be able to p/u an 02 to replace your car.
    I am hoping that the intrigue's poor resale value
    (doesn't seem like many cars have good resale values anymore)doesn't impact you in a negative way when they pay you for your car.
    Glad to hear your okay. You weren't part of that pile up in Wisconsin were you? I have to say if mine was totaled tomorrow, I'd be a bit sad. While part of me would see it as an opportunity to get that CTS I've been wanting, I also know that the payoff would probably just cover what I owe and then maybe leave me with $500 or so to go toward a down payment. And besides, I still like the car alot. Despite the body style being on the roads for over 5 years now, it is still a sharp looking sedan. Especially when she's clean and the chrome wheels are shinning and the gold emblems nearly glow against the black finish. And I want the new 250+ hp V6 in my CTS anyway so the Olds still suits me fine for now. Any ideas on what your going to look for in the way of replacement?
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Hey guys...

I have an '01 Alero V6 but I love the Intrigue as well. I know that the final Intrigue rolled off the assembly line in June, but there are still some left over on dealer lots. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much these new Intrigues are going for. I see that there is a $3000 rebate, plus another $1500 owner loyalty, but how steeply are dealers discounting them? When I was at an Oldsmobile dealer the other day and mentioned my interest in the Intrigue, the sales people perked right up, said that they really wanted to move the last of them (this dealer had 3 left). Anyone buy one recently or have any idea as to how low they will go? Thanks!
    Check the invoice, take off the cash backs and offer $500 less. If you get it, you probably have a sweet deal. I have a lot of experience with both (have one of each) cars and the Intrigue is definitely a step above the Alero in every way.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Anyone ever had theirs come on less than 2 months and 1500 miles since the prior oil change? Me neither but mine just started coming on when I start the car. It goes off after less than a mile. The oil still looks clean on the dipstick.
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    Imacmil,

The only time that happens to me is when I take the car in for an oil change before the light comes on, and the dealer/service center forgets to reset the monitor. Lately I've been going to places other than the dealer, and none of them has known about resetting the monitor. In fact, mine started coming on this weekend because I forgot to reset it after the last oil change. I guess that tells me I had the oil changed 2000 miles too early. In my '99 GLS, the light comes on at start-up, and goes out after a few minutes.

If yours was reset at your last oil change and it's still coming on that soon, I guess the computer thinks you've been drag racing from a cold start and driving in rush hour traffic. I guess that system could get a glitch. Probably a fairly simple computer diagnostic to check, maybe not cheap to fix if computer components need to be replaced.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Yep, still hanging around, just for the heck of it.

TSchramm ::: Honda is setting the bar for how cars are suppose to be designed & built. 240hp out of 3.0, not bad.

Really like the 350-Z's, that I've seen on the road. Real lookers.

Been on the road a few times, rental has been the new Camry. I'm not overly impressed, if you like that Buick ride then Camry is a good match.

Can't wait for Acura new TL on '04.
    Just can't let the Intrigue go can you buddy?

Honda rules!
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    "Honda is setting the bar for how cars are suppose to be designed & built. 240hp out of 3.0, not bad."

... and a whopping 212 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm. Real impressive...
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    dindak :: just a quick pop in to say Hi. I have been keeping up with most of the posts, but just for old time sakes.

I see even you have looked at the new Accord. Granted it is NOT a gotta have look. Hondas are not 100% perfect, as they have had some automatic transmission issues to get resolve.

It will be interesing to see what Intrigue owners choose as their next set of wheels.

Take care...
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Other than the S2000, Hondas are totally underwhelming vehicles. And I can hardly tell the difference between the new Accord and the last generation Accord. Was it just a "refreshening"? Having said that, we are considering a Pilot for our next vehicle, mainly because of it's anticipated resale and reliability vs. a GMC Envoy, one of our other top choices.
    OK, the love affair is over. There are a couple things, both noise related, that have developed with my car (bought new in June).

1. On the right side of the car, if there's some wind outside you can hear a whistling. Not overly loud, but enough to be annoying. So I park today and look at it, and the chrome piece of trim above the passenger window didn't look to be sitting flat. I tried pushing it in, but it wouldn't go, so without hardly any effort I was able to just about pull the entire thing off. To my horror, the chrome trim piece is held on by 3-4 cheap little yellow plastic clips. I fudged with it a bit, and still didn't get it to sit quite right. So, the whistling persists.

2. There is a rattle in the driver's side door when I go over bumps. I opened the door and smacked it a few times with the palm of my hand, and it looks like the whole leather inside of the door is a bit loose; it hits the bottom of the door and makes the rattling noise. I could probably just jam a quarter-deck of playing cards in there and fix the problem, but this is ridiculous. This is brand new car, not a 15 yo beater.

So, back to the dealer I go. Wish me luck.
    I will be buying a Honda next as Honda rules!
    If people judged the Intrigue by doing a quick walk-around, Olds would have quit selling them years ago. You've got to get behind the wheel and drive a car to give a qualifed opinion- until then, it's all just talk. Looks are a factor, but who's going to buy a car if they don't like how it PERFORMS?

I feel sorry for people who buy a car because "they got a good deal".
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I posted a similar post in the Smart Shoppers area, but here it goes anyway--

While I was with my girlfriend picking up a '00 Alero GLS she has just bought, I casually mentioned my interest in the 3 Intrigues that the dealer had left in the lot. It was about a half hour before closing, and no other customers. I walked around for a bit, and when I got back the Sales Manager invited me over for a little chat. The car I am interested in as a Red '02 with the PCS system, rear spoiler and sun and sound package (Bose radio + sunroof), with a MSRP of $27132. The deal they offered is basically:
    $3000 rebate + $500 under invoice (near as I can tell that's about a $2000 dealer discount)+ $400 college grad for the Intrigue (that puts it at roughly $21685. Now, if I were to do this, I would be trading a '01 Alero GL V6 Sedan, also with sun and sound. KBB is about $9000, CarMax appraised it at $9300, ACV is $8900 and the dealer offered me $10K even. That would put the total purchase price around $11685. I also have $550 GM Card Credit (which I didn't mention but they have to honor, right?) which would knock it down to around $11132. He also mentioned that I could trade the extended warranty for $750 (although GM says $1000k for Intrigues, $750 for Aleros) and if I really wanted it buy it back after 3 years, which would knock it down to around $10k. So, bottom line is, what do you all think of this deal? Is there more money to be had? Those of you who have had Alero's, how would you compare the two? Any feedback would be helpful. The car is heading to a special credit union sale this weekend so the sooner the feedback the better! Thanks
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I bid my final farewell to my beloved Intrigue on Monday (her name was Lila). May she rest in peace.

I'd just given the pre winter zaino bros wax and she looked gorgeous. So many people at the accident site (even the tow truck guy) said she looked brand new. One person at the body shop said what a beautiful car she was as well and also said he'd never even heard of it. Sad huh.

I've pulled off the strut tower braces and K&N filter. Though I'll probably just give the K&N filter to my bro in law for his Intrigue, I'd be glad to sell the braces for $50. PLEASE SOMEONE HERE BUY THEM AND PUT THEM ON YOUR INTRIGUE. I'd feel so much happier knowing they were on an Intrigue instead of some souped up Grand Prix.

The insurance is giving me more than I could've ever gotten for her, so that's a good thing I suppose. The appraiser noted what immaculate condition she was in. I wish I could pull off those wonderful tires (Potenza re950s). They only had 10K max on em.

Ironically enough, she went head on with an Intrepid and they both lost.

Still don't know what to do about a replacement. I still can't get over the loss. Yes, I get very attached. Thank you everyone for your good wishes.
    You are going to bring a tear to my eye! Poor Lila.

Great deal for the STB's, those are $125 or so a pop brand new I think. If I needed them still I would definitely take them off your hands.
    Honda sets the bar for sedans in the same way Wal-Mart sets the bar for retailers. Lots of accolades and appeal to the masses, but not all the much substance. They've gotten better in recent years and a 240 hp V6 with a 6 speed(in the coupe) is tempting, but overall the new Accord is a let down. Styling wise, I actually like the looks of the new Camry better.

TSscramm, I agree with you on the performance factor. This was a big reason why I bought the Intrigue. The good deal I got was only one facet of the decision. What good is a good deal if the car is no fun to drive? Additionally, what good is great resale value or reliability if the car is no fun to drive? I actually think that if more people had done "once arounds" of the Intrigue it would have sold better. Too many folks still have no idea what kind of car it is.
    You could always look around and see if any dealers have a nice 02 that are probably selling for next to nothing. Heck, I'm seeing invoice + 0% for 60 months on 2003 Buicks now so can only imagine what kind of deals and now model year old Olds would have.
    Frankly, I'm beginning to lean towards the Acura TL Type-S next year. My bro-in-law has an '01 and it has been flawless with 50K miles - not a single unscheduled trip to the dealer, a blast to drive, and tight as a drum. A bit conservative styling-wise, but GM's going too far in the opposite direction for my tastes.
    jg28 : Still lots of Intrigue's around here. It hurts to loose something you put some much into, but it can be replaced. I was in a similar situation 2 1/2 years ago and I' happy to be alive.

oldsman : "Too many folks still have no idea what kind of car it is". No kidding. I saw an old 80 year old lady driving a GLS (with PCS) today at around 30 km/h in a 50 zone. What a waste, she probably has no idea what kind of machine it is.

mfletouva : Sounds good. You will love the car, take it for a test and you will be sold.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Haven't been here in a while, just got tired of it and needed a break. Have 26K on my 99GLS. No problems during the last year, although as we head into cooler weather, rattles become pronounced. Warranty is over in Feb.
    We have had 2 cold nights this week and still no rattles of any kind. My warranty is done in March so I will have the car examined in February to fix anything that needs it. I will bring up the flickering problem then.

Noticed something this morning that I never did before. The defog/defrost button on the climate control can just be pushed on it's own from the off position and will automatically just clear the front windshield. What a great feature! Don't know how I missed that.
    Sounds like a winner to me. Here's why:

Some may (correctly) point out depreciation. With an initial purchase price of $11,000 + change you won't take the hit. So if you get tired of it you could trade it in and probably still get something back from it.

For $11,000, you're looking at a Cavalier or Corolla. Instead, you get a bigger, more powerful machine. Plus, you have PCS and other things you could never get on these cars for that price.

As far as the comparison to the Alero goes, I say take a test drive. Then tell us what YOU think. Personally, just having automatic climate control makes it the better choice. But that's just me :-)
    Actually if you don't want to look for another Intrigue, you might want to check out a Maxima. I've never been a big Nissan fan, but the Maxi(and the new Altima) seem to offer alot more driving fun that most Asian sedans in this price range do. And the discounts I'm seeing on Maximas are almost "Olds like." Another car that I'm seeing discounted heavily is the Mazda Millenia. I know it's being discountinued and probably isn't that much fun to drive, but local paper has one for $19,995 after all the dealer discounts and rebates. $23,5xx for the supercharged "S" model. Even Toyota is running low rate financing and discounts on the Camry and Avalon. One thing about a slow economy, it is a boon to those who are in the car market. Olds ads in the paper are quickly evaporating. Since the major dealer here in the area just picked up Buick, they are advertising them and GMC now.
    I know what you mean about seeing someone driving an Intrgue with no knowledge of what the car can do. It's the same way with Cadillacs. I'll see some old duffer in an STS doing 35 in a 50 and I just want to pull him over, make him get in the passenger seat and show him what that baby will do.
    I drove a 2000 Alero GL (v6) for over 2 years, and have had an Intrigue since June. Here's what I think.

Alero advantages: quicker acceleration from a dead stop, slightly quicker handling (it is a smaller car, after all), thicker steering wheel. Better quality weatherstripping/door trim.

Intrigue advantages: better suspension (better highway cruiser), much quicker acceleration at highway speeds, more comfortable seats, better gas mileage, much more solid engine, higher quality sound system, cavernous trunk.

The dashes are nearly identical, as I'm sure you discovered. Basically, it depends on your needs. If all you need is a daily driver and don't have small kids, the Alero is fine. If you have to make long trips of any sort, though, you'll wish you had the Intrigue. What a fantastic road trip car it is.
    I agree with you for the most part (as I have both currently). I think the Intrigue handles better but I have a GX so maybe the GL/GLS is better. I also have an Ecotec powered Alero so obviously the mileage is better than Intrigue (but only a little bit).