Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You are comparing wholesale trade-in value (lowest possible) with dealer brand new pricing (highest possible). Apples to oranges.

Of course there will be a big difference.

Sell it privately. You already saw that one person here jumped at your $13,xxx price, clearly you can get much more than what a low-ball dealer offer would be.

Your van is probably worth $16-17 grand.

Shop around some more - the prices you were quoted seem high. Locally, fitzmall.com has XLE models starting at $27089 and that includes freight. About a grand less than that Ody EX-L.

They have one with a list price of $33,180, closest I saw to yours, and the no-haggle price on that is just $29,390.

Keep shopping, you should be able to do about $2 grand better than the deal you were quoted.

Don't overpay again. I think you made that mistake last time.

And if you truly believe the Ody is better, then why are you even asking?
    Let's re-do the numbers your way vs. my way....

Ody $28,105 - 11900 trade = $16,205 net cost to you

If you sell it yourself, you can get $16 grand easily, then shop around for a truly good deal (this took me about 3 minutes at a no-haggle dealer, you can do better):

Sienna XLE $27,089 - 16000 trade = $11,089 net cost to you

Heck, even if you don't feel like going through the effort, and still take that low-ball $13k trade offer, you would pay $14 grand.

Saves you more than $2 grand over the Ody.

Even your "Ody has better residual value" argument won't make up the $2 grand. The Sienna is still the better deal by far.
  • tomd8tomd8 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I got a quoted for 2009 Toyota Sienna, 8 passenger seat, with LE-EVP#3, AL, RL, FWD for $26,200.00 (out the door price) in Maryland. Is this a good price?

Thanks.
    Joe
    I'm also interested in the Sienna LE-8 with the same package you indicated. I was wondering which dealer provide you the quote.

Thanks.
  • sjennesjenne Member Posts: 7
    Joe,

That would seem to indicate a sales price of $24,500. Given that the invoice for such a vehicle is $27,000 per edmunds, I don't know if that is a good deal or not. At that price, are they giving you the 1.9% financing too?
  • azdinoazdino Member Posts: 9
    Just finished the process of searching for, locating, bidding on and buying a 2005 Sienna in Phoenix, AZ. I used CraigsList for most of my search and locate. The van (my first ever) had 23,400 miles on it (yes - 23,400 is correct) and sold for $13,500 along with $300 for 2 replacement tires.

AZ has no sales tax on a private sale and I had no dealer-oriented cash-drain or hassles since I just did NOT use them. Cash sale upfront through my credit union.

This is how to REALLY buy a vehicle; older with low mileage & offer a clean deal for CASH. In today's world CASH speaks loudly.

This was 2->3 weeks learnng the market & 3->4 days actually looking and bidding. Be patient - after all the spread could be like $50 per hour of your time spent on a look/bid.

You also save funds on lower vehicle registration fees.

By the way, both KBB and NADA showed horribly low numbers versus the real market.

Insist on a safety review from a nearby mechanical shop. :)
  • xemiterxxemiterx Member Posts: 2
    This will be my first time spending this much on a car. I'd like an 09 Sienna 7 Passenger with Package #1, Tow Prep and DRL. Edmunds TMV on this is $22,514.

Is that the lowest amount I should expect, or can I get it for less? Anybody care to share what they paid for the same vehicle?
    I just pick up the car today at castle toyota in baltimore and I decided to use the 1.9 APR instead of the $1,000 rebate so price out the door when from $26,200 to $27,080.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Does Toyota make ANY base Sienna XLE with NO extra, high cost options?

I would like a BASE Sienna XLE with NO options since it would have cloth seats, dual power sliding doors, 3 zone temperature control, complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature/trip control that we want...BUT we do NOT want the overpriced options that are mandatory in the Denver Region. The BASE Sienna XLE is comparable to the Odyssey EX with no options but has nicer door panels and the overhead console not on the Odyssey EX while the Odyssey has the seating for 8.

A BASE Sienna XLE has an MSRP of $ 30,788 in Denver Region vs Odyssey EX MSRP $ 30,825. :shades:

However, the Sienna XLE that I have seen has an MSRP $ 33,448 (or more) which puts it in the Ody EX-L price range. Honda currently has a $ 2,500 dealer incentive for the Odyssey while Toyota has only $ 1,000 which makes the Sienna NOT competitive..
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    MyToyota Sienna has a higher US parts content than my Ford ZX2. The Sienna is assembled in the US with a US made engine and transmission. The parts content on my Sienna is 80% US/Canada and 10% Japan.

By comparison my "American" Ford was assembled in Hermosillo, Mexico with a Mexican engine and a Japanese (Mazda) transmission.

Stop being a jingoistic bigot. GM, Ford and Chrysler should go bankrupt- Bush was an [non-permissible content removed] for extending them credit last year. They've continued as long as they have on inertia and "buy American" stupidity for decades. Instead of leaning out and becoming competitive they've remained bloated and mismanaged all that time turning out under-engineered and overpriced crud. Now Obama is exerting fascistic control over GM and Chrysler and I won't even start on my opinion of the auto unions....
  • george129george129 Member Posts: 6
    Can you please post which dealership you got the quote from. I just got quoted in Philadelphia, pa for 27377+tag and tax. I am glad I didn't pay any deposit. Same package LE/ 8 seater with AL/QP/RL/CF/ WH(? I dont know what that is)
    Thanks
    George
    I am from Montgomery county, pa. I am interested in buying the same vehicle. Please send me the Contact info, and web site info if possible.
    Thanks
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    You can order any new Sienna with any options you (don't) want. Your order goes through to factory, you wait a few weeks and you get the car later. There's no requirement to get what dealers stock.
    I got the car from Castle Toyota in Baltimore, MD. for $27,080.81 (including tax, title, tags (2years from VA),liscense fee, and tire recyl. fee and processing fee). This is with 1.9 APR financing. Total payment with finance is 28,408.80 after 60 months. Make sure the dealer enter 1.9 APR not 1.99.

If I had elected the cash back $1,000.00 then it would have been approx. $26,185.00 (out the door). Note, I recommend this option only if you have a large down payment or best all, pay all in cash.
  • xemiterxxemiterx Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Sienna in Portland, OR

2009 LE 7 Passenger

CF Carpet Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector
    QF LE Extra Value Package #2
    AL 16" Alloy Wheels
    TO Tow Prep Package
    RL DRL & Windshield De-icer

TMV (before rebate) $25,922.

I chose 0% instead of $1500 rebate.

No trade-in, negotiated price as configured above was $25584. That wasn't my OTD price as I was talked into some options before the deal was done (I was weak). Overall I am happy.
    See Posting #9070
  • missouri_boundmissouri_bound Member Posts: 1
    I have been negotiating and am about to buy a 2009 XLE Black color with option package #2 including JBL 6 C-D changer (which I don't really want) leather trim etc.

I opted for the 1.9% 60 month financing instead of $1000 rebate. I negotiated with a Kansas City MO dealer over the phone. I live in CA. The MO dealer has rested at $29,500. I am flying out there on Thursday and intend to try to get another $500 off or ask for the 6yr/100k extended warranty and pay $29,500 plus tax and registration.

Does anyone have any advice? Or proof of what they paid recently that I can use to negotiate with from a stonger position?

Any other suggestions or knowledge you can share to negotiate lower?

Thanks
  • eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    i just bought an xle with option 3, tow, mats, deicer/ fog lights for $27996 - which includes the $1000 rebate. So i'm not so sure you got the best deal there- bought mine at libertyville toyota - illinois
    Thanks Joe for the info. Is this price for vehicle with DVD entertainment system, which is the option #3 for LE.
    Thanks
    George
  • badtaamiz_2000badtaamiz_2000 Member Posts: 24
    All,

i am weighing my option if i should purchase odyssey vs sienna. Here is the price break down. Any input is appricated and if anyone has gotten a better price than this in Maryland, please provide dealer name, sales rep and OTD price and with your name it was purchased under so i can get the same price.

1) 2009 Sienna XLE with DVD package # 3 $29,800 OTD with 1.9% for 60 months in maryland.(selling price + Sales tax is 6% + 99 processing + freight + 245 title/tag)

2) 2009 Exl w/dvd for $30,600 OTD with 3.9% for 60 months or 2.9% for 36 months (selling price + tax at 6% + 99 processing fee + 670 destination + 245 title/tag)

3)2009 Exl w/dvd and navigation for $32,700 OTD with 3.9% for 60 months or 2.9% for 36 months (selling price + tax at 6% + 99 processing fee + 670 destination + 245 title/tag)

thank yhou
    Yes, This is with LE-EVP #3 or package #3 with DVD
    Good Luck
  • mrscutemrscute Member Posts: 7
    Can you pls let me know who u deal with?
    my email EX_2009@verizon.net
    tks so much.....
    Here in the Mid Atlantic you can get an XLE with EVP #1, which is a lot less than the $33k you found as the starting price for XLEs.

The exact retail price is $31,065 and you can find it on-line at fitzmall.com. Their no-haggle price is $27,661 plus a $99 processing fee, and that includes freight.

I'd use that as a benchmark.

I still think you should sell your Sienna privately. Put it on craigslist for $16k/obo.
    Joe, I am looking for the same exact van in same area, and they all laugh at me when offer 27.1k out the door w/ 1.9% financing...best I can get so far is 28k out the door....can you email me @ stevejenne@hotmail.com on how you pulled this off? thanks!!!!
  • betty65betty65 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a quote for a 2009 Toyota Sienna XLE with package #3, with alloy wheels, out the door price of $29,600. Tax in Atlanta 7%. The dealer states that he is loosing money on the deal, which I find highly unlikely. Does this sound like a good price?
  • eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    as per previous posts, i just paid $29,996 with option pkg 3, alloy wheels, tow prep, deicer/ fog, and prefered option (mats, cargo, net first aid kit).
    my price does not include tax-- my math is not good but you can figure out your quote vs my price. i'm in illinois.
  • carbuy3carbuy3 Member Posts: 2
    Could you please send PM with dealer details of Sienna and Odyssey. I live in MD.

Thx
  • badtaamiz_2000badtaamiz_2000 Member Posts: 24
    Carbuy3,

The toyota pricing was given me in person at Jone junction in blair. At that time i only stopped into see what type of pricing i would get. During my visit i did not confirm is this was with financing, it is not than i would not buy. I am still waiting for the dealer to call me back to confirm that this price is with 1.9%. if it isnt, i would not pay anything more than $30,000 OTD with financing if they want your business.

i have decided to buy the Odyssey EXL w/dvd and nav and the price i got is GREAT. OTD price for this is $31,330. I have confirmed this price 3 times today over the phone and is good till end of april. The only addtional accessory this car has is wheel lock and mud guard. Even i think this price is too good to be true. I plan to purchase this by Friday. If you want please email me your name with phone number and i can give it to the sales rep and see if he wants to offer the same price.

email at badtaamiz_2000@hotmail.com and mark the email with "Odyssey pricing URGENT".

I can give you the dealer and sales rep name once i purchase it so you have a solid lead and can confirm what i paid.

thanks
    The local Toyota dealers insist they can NOT order a base Sienna XLE with no extra options.

Moot point because a Honda dealer is discounting the Odyssey EX $ 5,197 and the EX-L $ 5720 while Toyota dealers price for the NON available base XLE would be $ 28,788....$ 3,860 more than the Ody EX.

Since the Ody EX is very comparable to the base Sienna XLE with no options, a new Sienna is NOT in our future.
  • usaf_famusaf_fam Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy a new Sienna XLE to replace our 2001 Honda Odyssey. We test drove the alternatives, but it came down to the Sienna and the Odyssey and we just didn't like the Odyssey as much.

We've decided on the XLE with the JBL stereo, bluetooth, etc and EVP #3, rear spoiler, 17" alloy wheels, parking assist, and floor mats/sill protectors. The sticker price is $34,535. I can get this through a prenegotiated service with my bank for $31,254 but I think they'll come down a bit on the price.

Do you think I'm being unrealistic to ask for and out the door price of $30,000? If so, what do you think is a realistic price?
    IF Toyota dealers weren't too greedy, they should accept an offer of $ 28,500 based on comparable price of $ 28,125 Honda dealers are asking for a comparable 2009 Odyssey EX-L.
    The dealer's cost on the Sienna had little to do with the cost of a Honda Odyssey, and more to do with what they pay Toyota for a Sienna. They compete on pricing with other Toyota dealers.

To answer your question, I do think your offer is too much of a low-ball.

These pricing services are pretty consistent and while I think you probably can beat it, it would be by a few hundred, if that. Not thousands.

You didn't mention your state, but here in MD tax is 6%, so you're really only offering $28,300 (tax would bring the total to $30k) when the no-haggle price is $3 grand higher.

That's not realistic. The dealer would take a massive loss on that sale.

That is a very well equipped van - Bluetooth, premium audio, parking assist, etc.

If Honda is giving away the Ody it will put pressure on dealers to reduce their already razor-thin margins, but they are not going to lose money selling cars. They have to pay their utility bills just like we do.
    Thanks for the feedback. One thing I absolutely hate is the negotiation involved in car sales/buying. Of course, the salesman was trying to undercut me initially on the trade in, but then as that improved they didn't want to budge on the sale price of the car. He got flustered when I wanted to negotiate these numbers independently.

I may go in with this number, knowing it's low, so that we have a starting point from which to work up instead of starting at MSRP and working down. For some reason, I feel like I'm likely to get a better deal this way. That may or may not be true, but that's how it feels to me.

Thanks again!
    Joe, who posted in previous posts that he got a LE 8 passenger with EVP3 for 27.1k out the door (if he did the financing), well, i just wonder how recent a deal this was (Castle toyota doesn't even exist anymore). I've talked with every dealer in the mid-atlantic area that has this vehicle and nobody can come within even 1k of this deal. So here you go people, thrive off of the hard work i've come to find out, that in the mid-atlantic area, if you want an LE 8 passeng. w/EVP3, the best deal you can get, out the door with md 6% tax and still have the 1.9%, is 28,800. The only thing i can think is there are very few of these vehicles around (which is true), so the dealers don't have to budge? Or does my caller ID show as 'stupid idiot' when they pick up my calls? If people get a deal like this, please contact me with the dealer/salesman
  • rolzrolz Member Posts: 8
    If you are getting the EVP3 just for the DVD system, you might want to consider going with the EVP2 and having an aftermarket DVD installed.

Here is a blog post written by someone who opted for the aftermarket:
    http://bluesea-sun.blogspot.com/2007/12/2008-sienna-le-8-seater-aftermarket.html-

For about the same price, you get a NAV system + a backup camera, and unlike the factory system, the controls aren't crippled while the car is in motion.

Here's what I paid for my LE8 (probably $500 more than I should have)
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee93e3c/8977

~Rolan
    I went aftermarket for the DVD as well.

A factory 7" or 8" screen usually runs about $1800 or so.

I paid half ($899 installed) that for a whopping 12" screen. Plus I got 2 wireless headphones and it added a dome light for us.

I got a Nuvi as a GPS as well, just $199.
    thanks guys for the aftermarket dvd info...

ateixeira, can you tell me what 12" system you got and who installed it? thanks
    Sure, it's a Jensen, and it was installed at the Circuit City in Rockville, MD, now sadly out of business.

The installers weren't perfect - left some cut wires and debris in the interior, so while it all worked well they weren't as neat as I'd like. A quick vacuum addressed that.

Any good stereo shop should be able to install them. I'd shop for an "installed" price, though, not pay separately.
  • mikewilliams23mikewilliams23 Member Posts: 2
    Where in Atlanta did you get that deal?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Get the best deal without Power Pkg and then add the Power Pkg on after the deal.
    WHY do you want the Sienna XLE when you will have to pay thousands $$$$ more for a Sienna XLE that depreciates faster than a comparable Odyssey EX-L?

The BEST price I could get for a new 2009 Sienna XLE MSRP $ 33,448 was $ 31,448 while an Odyssey EX-L MSRP $ 33,825 was $ 28,1095.

My 2006 Sienna LE is worth less now than my niece's 2005 Odyssey EX that has twice as many miles and cost her less money than I paid for my Sienna. Needless to say, we still have our 2006 Sienna since the trade in is so pathetic. :sick:
    I test drove both vehicles multiple times, and just didn't like the Odyssey. We have a 2001 Odyseey now, and I honestly think they've taken a step backwards with the braking system. I was more sure about the brakes in my '01 than I was in the '09.

Yes, Honda gave me a good quote. They also gave me the lowest trade in on my Odyssey of all the places I went, and it has low mileage for the year.

I ended up buying the Sienna today. I paid $500 more than I would have for the Honda, but I got the car that I liked a lot more. The money is well worth it to me to drive the car I like for the next 8 years.

And for those that care, I ended up getting a better deal than what I discussed in my earlier post.
    I'm from VA so the sales tax is 3% so if you are from MD or other states where sales tax is higher than so out the door would be higher. Correction--- Dealer is Darcars in Baltimore. I can get the same car from Miller Toyota in Manassas, VA for $26,900 out the door.
    Joe
    just didn't like the Odyssey

And that's what really matters most.

I got the car that I liked a lot more

Ditto.

I ended up getting a better deal

Yes, that plus the prices hansienna is being quoted are not in line with prices other people are paying. He needs to shop around some more. A lot more. I've seen XLE well under $30k without even having to haggle for it.

Congrats. Enjoying that sweet engine yet? That alone would win over some people considering the Ody. Timing chain, too, so no belt replacements to worry about like Honda owners have to do.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Ignore hansiena. He is just a hater on the Sienna and trying to put it in a bad light. He represents the worse trend of the Web- repeat negatives over and over again, ignore when misinformation is refuted and post again until misinformation becomes the "truth" for the less informed and the basher's objective is achieved.

For my family the Sienna was the better van for the much better price and 9 months later we are still very pleased with our 2008. Congrats on the new van.
  • betty65betty65 Member Posts: 5
    Sandy Springs Toyota. Just picked up tonight. Van had a whopping 6 miles on it. Very easy dealership to work with. No hidden fees. $29,600 out the door.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    I could not agree more! I am an owner of a previous 04 Sienna and now own an 07 Sienna and both have been perfect in every way. The Sienna to me is the best van on the market hands down, especially for the price. A neighbor just picked up a Blizzard Pearl XLE with package 3, alloys, Carpet Mats, and Daytime lights for $29,500 out the door including tax which is 8.37% where I live in Ca. HanSienna quotes are very high and you can get way better prices by looking around.
    With my no-haggle price from fitzmall that makes 3 of us that found XLEs under $30 grand.

(in your best Smokey voice...)

My momma told me
    You better show around
    Oh yeah
    You better shop around

:shades:
  • mikewilliams23mikewilliams23 Member Posts: 2
    Thats who I just put a deposit down with. Van is supposed to be delivered on the 5th. I went with Package 2, it also has fog lights, and mats. Probably not as good as a deal you got, but we are $29K OTD.

Who did you work with out of curiousity?
    Pardon my typo, that should be "shop around" not "show around".

Sorry Smokey!