Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• mtroymtroy Posts: 45
    papa, I lived with the portable cd player with the cassette adapter in my Acura for years. Lots of skipping, and overall a big hassle. You have got to do whatever it takes to get the MB CD changer to replace that lame system in such a beautiful, modern car. You will not regret it.

On another note, on AM stations, the sound alternates between perfect and loud static on all stations. What gives? I'm sure that more music and less blabber mouth talk radio will enhance my life, but I do need to listen to the local news channel once in a while.
  • I will be getting the CD changer. However, I also listen to minidisc quite a bit. I can use my protable MD player in my Honda with a cassette adapter and I was also wondering if such a feat is possible in the C since the cassette player is housed behind that little panel thingy. I guess it sounds like I'm out of luck...
  • ycfmwycfmw Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I am also in DC area and plan to buy my first MB C class. The question could be silly... Is the price negotiable? How about Mr. Chuck Albert in ASC? Did he give any discount at all? Thanks a lot for any replies.
  • Nope, sorry. No discounts to be had on the new C. Price is MSRP at time of delivery. My original saleperson at ASC said she'd throw in the trunk cargo nets for free, but I didn't get that in writing and have not yet persued it with Chuck. I am hopeful though that this will not be a problem. You may be able to deal a bit if you're willing to take a demo model. I know ASC has a 2001 C class (black)in their pre-owned dept. I don't know what its story is, but if you don't mind having a slightly used car it's there. They're a pretty big dealer and I think their monthly allocation is large but I don't know how long the wait is on a new order. When Chuck showed me the list of cars it was huge, but I don't know how many were C's. They sell tons of ML's there, every time I go by they're unloading a truck or two of MLs. As I said before, they've been treating me very well there and everyone seems to be very honest and forthright.
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    Glad to hear that your car seems to now be perfect! I was wondering about your situation and I'm really glad that MB got it all figured out. Our trunk now works perfectly, never really did figure it out, dealer thought I put it in valet mode, I may have,BUT I never even put the key in the trunk until it hadn't opened for two days. So hopefully it will never happen again!
  • In reply to MHS7386...

I've had plenty of opportunities in the last month here in Minnesota to drive my C320 in snow with the standard tires. As long as I use winter driving skills, I've found the car to be extremely sure-footed. When other people were spinning their wheels at stoplights, I was not. It's going up my inclined driveway, currently packed with snow, just fine. We haven't had a heavy snowstorm yet, but I've been out in some pretty bad driving weather and felt secure. Most of my concern is what the guy in the rear-view mirror is doing!
  • jsn1jsn1 Posts: 3
    There are a couple of ways you can play audio from portable devices with the Mercedes audio system. Both methods are Rube Goldberg solutions, but they will work.

You can fool the MB audio system into thinking the cassette cover door is closed while using a cassette adapter to play audio from portable devices such as MD and MP3 players.

With the cassette door open, you will see a small square inset with a needle-shaped switch on the right side of the cassette mechanism. This small needle switch senses whether the cassette door is open or closed, much like the switch that turns the light off on your refrigerator when you close the door. I placed a very small piece of styrofoam (1/8 inch square) on the sticky side of a small piece of plastic tape and applied that over the switch. This "fools" the audio system into thinking the cassette door is always closed. You can then use a cassette adapter without the annoying beep trying to remind you to close the cassette door. And you can still close the cassette door when listening to the radio or CD player.

Another way around the problem is to purchase a FM radio adapter for your portable divice. These are available at most any electronics store for about $20. They allow you to transmit the audio signal from your portable device to your FM Stereo without any wires. They are a little fussy to tune and they do require batteries.

While neither of these solutions is ideal, they are the only way I have found to use my MP3 player with the Mercedes audio system.
  • sleakesleake Posts: 47
    I have exactly the same problem with my radio. It seems to be somewhat random, except that it does NOT happen when the car is sitting still, and going over a bump seems to set it off. On the other hand, it will work fine for 2-3 days at a time, then blast me out with static again. I've been thinking it's a loose connection? Thought I'd wait until I take it in for a 2000 mile oil change to have it looked at. btw -- FM reception is just fine.
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    I thought there was an aux-in connector in the glove compartment? Or is this just for the COMAND system?
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY RADIO/CASSETTE/CD PLAYER WHEN I 1ST GOT THE CAR..TURNED OUT THE RADIO WAS DEFECTIVE..AND WAS REPLACED AT N/C..WHY WAIT TILL OIL CHANGE?? ENJOY YOUR CAR NOW!
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    OH... I WAS WARNED BY AN AQUAINTANCE THATS OWNED AN E CLASS FOR A FEW YRS THAT MB IS TERRIBLE IN THE SNOW... HE COMES FROM A COUNTRY WHERE THERE IS NO SNOW.. AND NEVER GREW UP LEARNING WINTER DRIVING SKILLS..SO IM HOPING THAT HES WRONG.. I WENT TO COLLEGE IN ITHACA NY AND WAS CONSTANTLY DRIVING IN SNOW... AND ON HILLS... TAKES SOME SKILL.I MAY FIND OUT TOMORROW..SNOW/RAIN/SLEET IN NJ..YUK!
  • I grew up and learned to drive in Chicago and never had anything but rear-wheel drive vehicles. None of these vehicles ever had snow tires, either. In flat country (Chicago is flat as a pancake), I was rarely stuck in the snow. None of the vehicles had as favorable a percentage of their weight on the rear wheels as do M-B vehicles, so a M-B should work tolerably well in the snow (if you do not have many hills). I now live in the mountains of Northern California and rear wheel drive is a lot iffier in the snow. You can increase the grip somewhat with snow tires (better still with studs), but they are much less "grippy" on dry pavement than the tires that come on new cars. I would decide the issue based upon how many days per year you expect to have deep snow on your roads and whether you have a back-up front or four wheel drive vehicle to take care of "snow days".

Larry Homer
    lwhomer@cwnet.com
  • Re: use of portable CD players through the cassette slot in the radio. I used a Sony CD with adapter last year on my E and after 3-4 months there was no more sound when using a real cassette or the adapter. I figured it ruined the heads. So I shopeed around for a replacement radio and more than one place stated that the adapters can ruin the heads. Since they were all talking about going with an aftermarket radio and a CD changer and talking about close to a grand to do the switchover, I decided to let MB replace the radio under the Starmark warranty. But, they fixed it with a really good cleaning of the heads. I threw the adapter away and bought the Alpine changer (one of the official suppliers to MB) from the dealer's local installer for $300 installed. Awesome sound and it looks and feels like factory installed.

Re: Snow.... I hate it, but besides that I've lived in Massachusetts far too long. I've lived here all my life and I'm over 50. I've owned rear wheel drive cars before and I was nervous about getting another after owning only front drivers for the last 20 years. Even though my 1996 E only has the limited slip differential, with snow tires on all four wheels it did better one day last winter than my wife's large American front drive sedan with very good all season tires. The newer models with traction control and ESP are sure to be far better and one should not worry about it unless they are totally unaware of how to drive on snow and ice.
  • Thanks for the advise mtroy. I will definitely take a few CDs to ensure that all works. What is the deal on the static on the AM radio?
    We sure haven't had any AM radio static, our works great. We're very happy with the standard stereo. Our only wish is that it came with a standard single disk CD instead of the cassette.
    I'm trying to get used to this new software, seems okay so far. Is there supposed to be something better about it now? Drew can probably answer that one, you out there Drew? All is well with our C. Is everybody else having to clean those front rims as often as I do? As the brakes get more use is the dust going to start to deminish? Have a good weekend all!
  • My local dealer has told me that the Magma Red is a metallic paint. The cost will be 625 plus the 1000 special
    order color red. Has anyone actually recieved their Magma Red C yet? What is the cost of the color? Has anyone
    recieved the Orion Blue C yet? - I have seen the Midnight Blue (very dark) - What is the vote of these two colors?
    If I order the red, oyster or ash interior, Thank you.- also if you need concerts, sports, or theatre premium tickets go to
    Tickettrader.com
  • sounds like the problem I had with my 94 C280 a year ago. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness. I had the car for only 5 years! It wasn't cheap to fix it, either.
    Hope yours is something else.
    We have a magma red C and it is not metallic, we paid the $1k special order, not $1625. Either your dealer is mistaken, let's hope, or they're trying to get you to pay $625 extra. It was clearly printed on our window sticker $1k special order paint, there was no fee for the red, and it is not metallic, but it sure is beautiful!!! If you find out that we should've paid the $625 let me know, I'd love to find out I got the car for $625 below MSRP!! :)
  • I'm down to two choices the 320 v. the volvo 2.4t 60.
    Is the 320 worth 7k more?
This discussion has been closed.