Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,685
    well said about oil. i'm not leaving oil in my car for 10 or 15 k miles.60 bucks every four five months gives me piece of mind. i'm not relying on my computer to tell me oil change. sorry i like to walk with the light.most people i know who own cars for 12- 15 years with 200 or 300 thou. miles were changing oil every 3 or four months.i like to hear from people who are on the flip side of my statement.i have never but could be wrong heard of any body owning a car for 12 to 15 years that changed there oil every 7,8,10,15k miles. i would bet that it had a motor or trany change. who in this forum can vouch on this statement. i bet not many. PEOPLE LEASE CARS ABUSE THEM FOR 3 YRS AND GIVE THEM BACK.i dont see many folks today holding on to cars long.HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

citC if your computer dosen't come on for a oil change you may be able to just get away with it and save 60 dollars.time will tell all you folks 10 12 years down the road i'll be in this forum telling you guys i told you so. anyway i'm looking to buy either a 2002 or 03 clk430 the rumor out there is there changing the car plus possibly a bigger motor. HAS ANYBODY HEARD THIS OR SEEN A PICTURE OF THE UP AND COMMING CLK.

• 404c404c Posts: 146
    So Shipo, you write that in real world trials, Mercedes-Benz found that its cars running on synthetic oil would go a mean of 25,000 miles before the oil began to break down. That is good. But what was the standard deviation? Until we know that vital piece of information, I will assume that the SD was small.

In that case, why would the FSS in a modern, cleaner Benz say the oil should be changed at as little as 8000 miles? Is Mercedes-Benz being that wasteful of perfectly good oil? Should everyone should wait until their FSS indicator goes on and then double their mileage on the same oil?

I would therefore be interested to see the algorhythm that M-B uses in its FSS. Until we know how it makes its decisions, and the research results that support the sensor calibrations and decision matrix for the FSS, debates such as this are inevitable.

That said, what Shipo wrote was very good - particularly the fact that cleaner cars contaminate the oil less and synthetics are much more resistant than refined mineral oils. Another variable, however, is the cleanliness of the fuel, something that Canada is not notorious for. Our fuel has huge levels of Sulphur in it, which makes even the cleanest engine create nasty combustion by-products which contaminate the oil. I assume that the FSS proxy measurement for oil contamination/viscosity breakdown is capable of accommodating this variable. Which is, once again, why I'd like to know A LOT more about FSS before I trust it implicitly.

About the Renault situation, they are not in North America for no other reason than the French are the world's worst marketing strategists. Incompetence would be too kind a description for these guys.

I've owned a total of four examples of the Renault 5 (Le Car to the US) over the past 24 years, and each of them was a perfectly fine vehicle. They demand some care and attention - for example, they are not like a Toyota, where the hood can rust shut and it won't matter because the fluid levels never vary. In a Renault, the fluids do need to be checked occasionally. Many of them died prematurely because of ignorant owners who thought that basic meaitenance was a luxury they couldn't afford. People who buy inexpensive cars often subject them to the most hideous abuse like that.
  • Being the resident "Old F**t" I can well remember the first few new cars I bought. Really low four figure price, (first new car, a convertible, $1,895) ninety day/1,000 mile warranty, required oil change intervals - 1.000 miles. Time has passed, technology improved, oil change intervals have grown and at each change the "True Believers" have howled that the sky was falling and the Luddites have cried that " My Granddaddy changed his oil at XXXX miles; my Daddy changed his oil at XXXX miles and they'd turn over in their graves if I didn't change my oil at XXXX miles.

As Shipo said, show your factual evidence.

Bubba
    "...My friends all drive Porsches, I must make AMENDS..." J. Joplin
    people who are relying on this FSS system to change there oil i think are nuts.hopefully they took the extended warranty.in prev. post to citc he wont listen to fellowMB owners about oil changes but he will wait for his light to go on in his system to say its time. i hope all theses people are leasing.

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...no one's mind gets changed by these discussions. Good opportunity to practice keyboard skills, though...
    your absolutley right about theses discussions. MY KEYBOARD SKILLS ARE TERRIBLE.i must admit.

• tariktarik Posts: 344
    I have never but could be wrong heard of any body owning a car for 12 to 15 years that changed there oil every 7,8,10,15k miles.

Just for your information, all Germans do. Ecological reasoning does not hit home among most americans (can you say "Bush"?), I know, but it is respected in other parts of the world. Cars in the German market normally do require oil changes every 8k to 12k miles, no more. All that even though engines are operated in more demanding environmental situations.

I would bet that it had a motor or trany change.
    What is the scientific base for this statement? A gutt feeling? Argh...

Tarik
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Brian125...I usually read, and seldom post, but... I owned one of the first Lexus LS400 sedans delivered in my state. Owned it for 10 years, almost to the day. Total miles,140,000+. Changed oil every 7500 to 10,000 miles.[not synthetic oil]. Never one second of engine problems. Car ran as well the day I sold it as the day I picked it up. I realize this does not prove anything except that there is probably no definitive solution to this discussion. Having said that...I guess it would not have done any harm, to change the oil more often. Interesting discussion.
  • After owning my 2001 C320 for 12 months now (and 14k miles), I could care less if changing the oil after 3-5k miles will reduce after warranty costs. I say this becuase there is NO way I can afford to own this car after it is out of warranty. I these 12 months the car has been in the shop at least that many times - windows, electric mirrors , tail lights repeatedly going out, power seats, trunk (locking shut), keys failing..... the list goes on. I have never owned such a terrible car. A friend with a '98 C280 (55k miles) just spent $1500+ fixing the power driver's seat and $2000+ on the power steering. I'm getting rid of this car soon and it will be a long time before MB sees me looking at one of their cars again.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    On December 5th I posted the following message:

"My daughter would like to break the lease on her 1999 C-280, and lease a 2002 C-32 AMG this coming spring. Is there anyone in this forum who happens to own one, and if so, are they as fast and reliable as the reviewers say they are?"

Since (thus far) I haven't received any response, I can only assume that no one in this forum owns a C-32 AMG, and therefore can answer my question.

Is there another Mercedes forum where I might be able to get an answer? Thank you.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Got to MBWorld.org. There are C32 owners there.

As far as reliablity I don't see how any auto reviewer would be qualified to comment unless the car in their possesion was real pooch aka Edmunds recent review of the Jag X-type. Given that this forum offers as good as any insight to expected reliablity.

It sounds like you want confirmation that it is as fast as the reviewers state. Why are you interested in finding that out? There is little doubt that the car is very fast.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    As far as speed goes, you really need to test drive the car itself. Nothing anyone can tell you is the same as driving one yourself. As far as reliability goes, I think it's too new to tell, unless these cars are breaking down out the door. In any case, going to the dealer might answer this question too. Take a quick peek at the service parking lot, do you see any C-32's there? If you have a good relationship with a salesman, he might tell you too. Mine has been pretty honest with troubled cars, after all if he lies to you, you'll be seeing him everytime you visit the dealer and all your friends will know too.
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    The MB Operation and Parts Manager for my area told me for the first oil change he would rather I wait for the FSS to indicate it. He said he has dealt with many cases where the engine did not break-in properly when first oil changes were done early.

Miki
    "The MB Operation and Parts Manager for my area told me for the first oil change he would rather I wait for the FSS to indicate it. He said he has dealt with many cases where the engine did not break-in properly when first oil changes were done early."

...which would appear to indicate that the superior lubricating properties of newer oil would prevent the increased metal-to-metal contact that characterises the break-in process. So after break-in, may one then conclude that early (pre-FSS) oil changes will indeed be beneficial to engine longevity?

;-)

Mike T.
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    "may one then conclude that early (pre-FSS) oil changes will indeed be beneficial to engine longevity?"

Mike -- One may conclude anything, particularly if they have all the answers. :)

Happy Holidays Everybuddy.

Miki
    Miki

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad that you understood my posting, too.

;-)

Merry Xmas, etc to all!

Mike T.
  • cdialcdial Posts: 3
    Dear jpstax, I own a C32. I have only owned it for 1 week as of now, so I can tell you from my limited experience that so far, I love it, and it has been an amazing car. I test-drove the C320, and the //AMG is nothing like it. It has different seats with different (Nappa) leather; it sits lower to the ground, and has firmer suspension. This car feels more sports-car like although the ride can be a bit stiff for some people, but for me, it is great. I would suggest testing one yourself and see if it is right for you (or your daughter). Let me know if there are any other questions I can help with.
    did you pay msrp or under for your c32.also i noticed that there isn't a cd player that is standard with the c32.i'm wondering if the dealers are putting there own system in the car.whats your take on this. i hear the car is like a rocket at warp speed. lots of luck and enjoyment.

• cdialcdial Posts: 3
    Yes, I paid MSRP. The dealer was not interested in negotiation. The waiting list was long, and the car list was short.

No, you do not get a CD player as standard (what a rip off on a 50k + car huh?) Yes, the dealers offer a 6 CD changer as a whopping $1,200.00 option(no way!) But I did get the COMMAND system with the Nav. system. You can play CDs in the Nav. slot, but you have to take out the Nav. disk.

Is the car fast you say? Well, I am still breaking it in. I have not "punched it" yet. I still am waiting for the 1k mi. break in period. But as far as I can tell, the car is a beast waiting to be released. The rumble from the exhaust is just enough to let you know something is lurking under the hood. The gas pedal is both sensitive and very responsive. I will try and post my “after break in” opinion
    make sure your seatbelt is on and you notify houston when your returning home.will i have a problem fitting in the c32, i'm 6'2 235.happy holidays.

• Local service manager advised me that I could bring the car in for the service within 2000 miles of the the FSS.

If the FSS indicates that service is due in 2,000 miles or less, bring it in for service.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    On the older C-Class models (1994-00) and 190 Series (1984-93), are there any special maintenance requirements that need to be carried out? For example, is there a timing belt or chain that needs to be replaced every couple thousand miles or a transmission that needs to have its fluid changed periodically (just like on my Volvo 850)? These Mercedes sure do require lots of maintenance, unlike an old Chevy V-8.
  • pk6pk6 Posts: 26
    about oil... please get back to the malfunctioning keys and lease rates.

Happy New Years everyone
    Never heard about any special maintenance requirements such as timing belt or chain that needs to be replaced every couple thousand miles (???), or a transmission that needs to have its fluid changed periodically (???)

My (94-00) C-class has only required 1 maintenance visit in 20K.
  • For jpstax & board:
    I own a C320 and BMW 330Ci, with a C32 on order. Having driven one extensively I can offer the opinion that there is simply no a better car out there in this category short of $100,000 (the M5 is debatable). You will not be dissapointed. An excellent message board dedicated to this vehicle is at www.C32Life.com
    -Regards
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    This is the first opportunity I've had to thank you for your response to my post. I will certainly let my daughter know of your positive comments about the C-32. I plan on test driving one in the spring (the streets are too icy here). I think she too will drive one when the weather gets better. Besides, the lease on her '99 C-280 doesn't expire until August '02 (unless she can break it sooner). Thanks again.
  • tluketluke Posts: 52
    I have a 99 C-230 with 22,000 miles. I have had my oil changed at regular 5000 mile intervals. I also had the A service when the FSS indicated. At my current mileage the FSS now says I should get the next service. I have made the decision that I will skip this service since I just had my oil changed within the last 1500 miles. I tried to reset the FSS indicator as per the owner's manual but I was not able to get it to reset. Did anyone ever reset the indicator using the method in the owner's manual or am I just doing something wrong. At this point I am trying to do this without contacting my dealer because I know if I consult them they will say that I must pay the big dollar to have them reset it after they perform the relatively unneccessary B service.
    I don't understand what the manual is getting at either since it would be mayhem if we could set FSS anytime we wanted to, or accidentally.

You have to get the dealer to rest FSS. I'm pretty sure they won't charge you. If you are getting oil changes every 5K, you can just ignore FSS.
  • rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    I was able to reset the fss on my 00 ML320 by following the directions in the manual. This was after I picked it up from the A service and the dealer hadn't reset it.

I'm sure that the dealer relies on their service history to see what has been done, plus the car's computer problem tells them all they need to know, anyway.
This discussion has been closed.