Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Thanks I needed that laugh!!! My c320 doesn't have the sports package on it, and I'm not sure what kind of tires are on them. They are the tires that came with the car. Also, we haven't gotten much snow here this winter although it's sprinkling some today and expecting more on thursday. I guess the problem is that when consiering vehicles, I couldn't decide on what to buy and didn't purchase the ML due to issues I keept hearing about on their posts. Besides, I trade this car in my husband will have a fit!! He's tired of me and my car disputes...

Thanks for your quick response, any support in helping feel I made the right decision is helpful.
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    >Thanks for your quick response, any support in >helping feel I made the right decision is helpful

I love my 2001 C320. It will be one-year-old May 31. When I drive it, I am Queen of the Road -- I look it and I feel it.....such fun to drive ......great to handle......fast and powerful on the freeways.....

Miki
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    Consider looking at the C320 4MATIC coming in the fall (2003 model year). With that, ESP, plus snow tires, it should be excellent in the snow.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    Keep the c320. I had mine this winter and I assure you it is great in the snow (NY Hudson Valley) the traction and stability control are amazing in action. I took it out and tried to make it "loose" in the snow and it always came back with confidence.

If things get heavy then consider a set of dedicated snows for the car. They are a lot less than the hit on a trade and you can get a complete package for the car, rims and all, from tirerack.

Regards,

JR
  • You guys are great! Now I can go out and enjoy my car with confidence. I really do appreciate all of the positive feedback given, because sometimes there is so much negative energy on these forums about vehicles that I suppose I would be confused no matter what I bought. So, I'm going to go tackle the wet roads today and the snow tomorrow! Thanx again....
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Yes, these C-Class forums are awesome! I have learned so much about my car over the last year - info I could not have received anywhere else. Also saved over $800. on the extended warranty due to info posted. I very much appreciate the supportive nature of the posts and thank everyone for sharing in that manner! Looking forward to more great info sharing ...

- Paul
  • mike_914mike_914 Posts: 1
    I have an ML 320 and live in NY I'm going back to a car. I was leaning towards an Audi A4 Quattro to get AWD. But I would prefer to stay with MBZ. I found it interesting that jrowland says the C320 is good as is in snow. A C320 either with 4-matic or knowing that as is works, would be my first choice. Any comments/suggestions? You've really had a C320 do well in snow?
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    The Quattro solution to full time 4WD is technically far more rigourous than Mercedes' 4Matic as presently seen on the E and ML. And I don't even like Audis...

The former has a 50-50 default torque split with Torsen differentials centre and rear. This default setup makes for a naturally balanced car, easy to drive fast in slippery conditions.

The latter has 0-100% default torque split with open differentials all around. That means that the rear wheels must start slipping before the fronts get any tractive force. This naturally makes the car more difficult than a Quattro to drive quickly on snow, as it is always unbalanced, adapting (after the fact) to variable grip levels. The pseudo-limited slip effect is simulated by the brakes. Drive a 4Matic fast on snowy roads and watch your brake pads last 6 months ;-)

I hope that Mercedes' new C Class 4Matic system is a proper full-time 4WD system.
  • blakec320blakec320 Posts: 10
    I wish I could post a more technical or definitive comment, but to those who are skeptical... the upcoming 4MATIC system is indeed a redesigned one fit to be placed on the S, E, and C class automobiles and promises to be the "best yet" for Mercedes.
    I hope that you're right about the 4Matic being updated. We shall soon see, as it's supposed to be available in Canada for the 2003 model year on the C...

BTW, our family has ordered a C230K for delivery in May/June - a basic car - magma red, panorama roof and auto wipers, nothing else. That makes it pretty good value up here in Canada, at only $22,750 US before taxes and other fees.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,661
    also needs to drop the price of 4MATIC to make it competitive. I think they charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000-$3500 on the current E Class. If that holds true, there will be fully loaded C320s out there wityh an MSRP dangerousl close to the $50,000 mark.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH, 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    404c:
    Actually, the ML has torque split to 48/52. I think the E is 30/70 roughly (can't remember the exact numbers...Drew would have if he weren't banned from here)-:
    Because of this, the ML is more neutral in the snow than the E. The E split is similiar to the X5 split where both were intended to have a RWD "feel".
    I think Quattro is also the best 4WD system, but it can still get stuck if only one wheel is spinning (there are accounts of this on Audiworld's A4 forum where they were shocked too :-)
    Is the split really 30-70?

There's a guy in Sweden with an E-Class 4Matic who has a good website with info on 4Matic (including details on how the system operates) and he indicates that the default in the E (at least the year he has) is 0-100%. I can't remember the URL but if you search on 4Matic you may find it. He's posted before on MBWorld.org in the tech forum.

I had assumed he was correct, because Mercedes seems to be too embarrassed to give technical details on 4Matic themselves ;-)

In any event, even if the torque split is 30-70 in the E, the cop-out on limited slip (i.e. using brakes to simulate LSD) is cheesy, at best. It reeminds me of something Hyundai might do ;-)

I'm hoping the next generation 4Matic hits the mark technically.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890

Just a reminder that the Town Hall chat is on for Wednesday evening (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). Hope you can join in this week to meet and greet with your fellow Town Hall users and have a little fun with The Return of Car Trivia!

Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    In case you haven't noticed, this is the way most companies are heading. Check out the latest Range Rover and X5. The reason is that ESP is easy to implement w/o LSDs (though Audi has LSDs and ESP). BTW, did you know the Audi TT's Quattro is an inferior version of Quattro? It's mostly FWD (check Audiworld).

You'll have to ask Drew to confirm on the split. It's definitely not 0/100 (pure rear drive).
  • billp8billp8 Posts: 56
    I don't know when or why Drew was banned from this forum, but in the spirit of amnesty (or forgiveness) can he PLEASE be allowed back in? Speaking from personal experience, I was always amazed by his knowledge, and he was at all times very respectful in his replies to my questions. Thank you.
  • rainersrainers Posts: 50
    I agree he was at all times very respectful in his replies to my questions.Drew can be found over at MBWORLD.ORG under C-Class and ML-Class forums. Check out the link http://www.mbworld.org/forum/home.html
  • husky11husky11 Posts: 53
    Thanks for the excellent link to MBWORLD.ORG in your post #5268. Very helpful stuff.
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I happened to have had the unfortunate experience of using my C320 this past winter. With the stock Conti tires it is white knuckle all the way. I invested in some blizzaks. The ones I got were a compromise over the ones which are truly snows. The ones I got (can't remember the designation) have a huge center channel thru the middle. Still, this tire was a huge improvement over the Contis. The tires rode nicely too. As far as the ability to go up hills was concerned, that was still an issue. Even with the snows, the car would NOT climb a 4% or so grade. Now the Audi A4 I used to have with blizzaks,, that car was AMAZING. All I can say is that I am glad I have my WRX now for the winter. My little benz is gonna have next winter off.
  • peter84peter84 Posts: 7
    I thought some of you might like to know how things finally turned out once we got a new E Class after all the problems we had with the 2001 C 320 which I wrote about last month. We like the new car a lot. Smooth, quiet, powerful, very comfortable to ride in and a good feel for the road for a car it's size. However, there was a problem with the sound system from the day we got it. Lots of static on the FM radio and while the CD and tape players sounded like they should on a Bose system the radio sound was very thin. Nor was the automatic volume control working. We took it back after three days and the dealer "fooled" around a bit, and the night we picked it up the same thing happened. I spoke to the service manager the next day and they sent a driver over to our house with a Mercedes loaner, and after 8 days (yesterday) they finally got it fixed. The problem was with the rear window antenna. They also found that two other E Class models in their stock had a similar problem and they replaced the rear window on those as well.

I feel that Mercedes and the dealership finally treated us very fairly and well re our previous C Class and in getting us into a new E Class, and I know from all the comments on this chat room that most people seem to be pretty happy with their C Class autos. But, I have to say that given our experience with both the C 320 and the sound system problem in our new E Class that I am pretty disappointed with and surprised about the poor quality control of Mercedes these days. I think (hope) we will now have a fine car, but there were too many problems involved with both, and I can't believe these were isolated incidents.
  • ballmdballmd Posts: 3
    Can you purchase the the telephone for the c-class from verizon or do they have to put a special chip in the phone. Is the telephone the motorola V60c or the motorola timeport P8767. If these are the phones that are used for our car, they have them on sale at verizon. I understand that you have to buy the installation kit and the other accessory for the voice activation feature. Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Problems aside do you consider the E as good as value as the C and how do the driving experiences compare form the standpoint of quietness, solidity, handling, and ride. The reason I ask is a salesman at the dealer made the comment that unless you needed the interior space he would get the C.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    I had the same comment made to me by my MB salesman when I leased/bought my '95 C220. Could not afford more $ back then, so could not even consider the E. Looking forward to hearing Peter84's response...
  • A dealer around Boston is offering the C240 for $299 a month with $2,500 down. 10,000 miles per year. This is very low for a +30K automobile. The IS 300 is $399 a month with I believe about $3,000 down. My wife's $22,000 Impala two years ago was $250 a month with $2,500 down.

I assume that this is because of the reliability issues. I am interested in leasing one but I am concerned about the reliability of this automobile. Any advise?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    Has nothing to do with reliability, or lack of, or horsepower, or color, or anything but dealer cost. Advice? Drive it, and if you like it, buy it. If my C were to be stolen/totaled today I would buy another one. Is this a new car they are leasing?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Mercedes leases are attractive because the residuals are high, hence the cost of depreciation over three years is lower than most other manufacturers. Just watch out for the sales tax...it gets hefty with $30K+ autos.
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    The price sounds correct assuming a residual of ~ 60%. The vehicle they are quoting probably has NO options. Once they get you in the door that price will turn into $399 (assuming you want a sunroof, leather etc). If you can deal with a base 240 it's not a bad price. The base model has adequate equipment and safety features. MB always gets you on the options which are WAY overpriced.
    If you could tolerate having no options and a stick leasing that car might be a smart way to go because at the end of the lease it's going to be difficult to sell and more than likely have a lower value than the residual. This assumes that they would lease you a base car. The post didn't indicate how long the lease was for.
    If you could tolerate having no options and a stick leasing that car might be a smart way to go because at the end of the lease it's going to be difficult to sell and more than likely have a lower value than the residual. This assumes that they would lease you a base car. The post didn't indicate how long the lease was for. I think that I would do it given the opportunity.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Lease the stripper with a stick!

At lease end, Mercedes will be highly motivated to sell it to you below the residual.
This discussion has been closed.