Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• afmbguyafmbguy Posts: 19
    I remembered there were Mad-Cow decease in Europe not long ago. They might treat leather with special treatment for precaution. They might overdone it in some spot. That was one of the reason a limited and delayed leather option for 2002 C230 coupe in the beginning. I still think you have a good case for a new seat. Please document all your repairs for the basic requirement of the lemon law within a year or certain mileage, like at lease 2, 3 or 4 time in a repair shop depending on different state.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    Just had 1st B service done at 23.7K miles. Didn't have any problems to get fixed at the same time. They changed wiper inserts, dust filter, oil filter, and oil. A whole list of things they checked ...fluids, brakes, AC, tires, belts, etc. etc. and actually measured and reported the rotor thickness. Didn't cost anything but there was an estimate posted on the paperwork of 307.95. Being in So. Ca. I bet the wipers weren't used more than three hours total in the past year, but they changed them anyway.
  • hocky1hocky1 Posts: 13
    I have just bought a used Merc C180 of 1994 and it is in very good almost showroom condition except for a few scratches and stone chips on the front and sides. The engine runs well, lacks power due to the low cc's , but I have a couple of problems. The sunroof/moon roof does not tilt up when the switch is activated. It does move backwards and forwards though. Also it does not come back to its closed position properly, moving slowly with a struggling noise and I am afraid it will leak in heavy rain. The passenger rearview mirror was hit by a passing motor bike(slow hit) and got away. The mirror is quite ok with a small patch missing, but the plastic moulding is damaged and the vertical piece next to the door id gone. What can I do about these? The elect. mirror still works. Has anyone got any cheap used mirror sets(complete} for sale?
  • wwh11wwh11 Posts: 7
    Hi, folks,

I am debating whether to get a MB C320 or a Lexus ES300. I like the safety feature of the C320, but don't like the price tag (dealer told me $41,700 with the CD installed). I like the luxury of Lexus ES300 and its price tag (around $35,500), but is a little concerned about its safety feature (although it is great compare to most others).

Does anyone have an experience of shopping and comparing C320 and Lexus ES300? What is the reasonable price to pay for a C320 in upstate NY?

Your information will make my decision much easier. Thanks in advance.
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Posts: 31
    I have been a MBZ owner for 20 years and came close to purchasing a C320 which is a beautiful car. However, I was bothered that the price was so high after adding things like leather, CD etc. Cost over 40K plus the fact that my sister bought a C240 and although likes it, finds it lacks power particularly with the AC on. So I test drove the G-35 and the ES 300 and fell in love the the Lexus. I is a great car and extremely reliable and for $36K I will get the Nav and Mark Levinson sound system plus VSC. Hard to beat although I had my heart set on the C 320 for a long time.

Hope this helps.
    I picked up this used Merc C180 recently, but found the battery dead after a few days. Opened the boot and found what looks like a brand new battery. I tried to recharge it (in-car) with one of those portable chargers for 6/12volts and used 12volts to recharge. Everything was ok until I noticed "water" coming out from under the car. It smelt like acid!. Apparently the acid was overflowing from the battery out from the negative and positive pole points between the metal bits which stick out from inside and the surrounding nylon/plastic case. Is this common? Why should this happen? The acid now will have to be washed out or my boot base will be eaten away and battery will fall out! Looks like its due for replacement!
  • edarteedarte Posts: 41
    At least in North America, those battery charges have a switch to either charge the battery quickly or slowly (trickle charge - which is the preferred setting if you have the time) in addition to the 6/12 volt setting. If it is set to charge quickly it is common for the solution (i.e. acid) to bubble and it could come out. It bubbles even on a trickle charge but not as much.

If you do have acid solution in the car be very very careful to get it washed out. If it has soaked into any fabric/ material it may look ok right now but in a day or so it will shows signs of being eaten away. Flush the area with water as much as is feasible.

Older batteries had caps on each cell and these should be taken off for recharging but make sure they are replaced prior to installation.

If there are no caps (or other means of venting gas) during charge I am not sure what you can do and I would advise consulting with someone who knows the proper technique. Be careful as there is the potential for a battery to explode while charging if it is not vented properly.
  • Thanks to all of those who responded with valuable advice. This past Saturday I picked up my new C240 and so far so good. (A while ago I posted a message asking for help deciding between Audi 3.0 and C240)
    Samueal70- I decided on the mercedes over the Audi simply because I liked it better. As many have pointed out reliability is about equal when comparing the two. After doing tons of research, I had to really think about what I preferred. I liked the mercedes, so that is what I bought. However, I have a good friend who just bought the Audi 3.0 quattro, we just have different preferences.
  • semerrilsemerril Posts: 12
    OK, here's the opinion of a 1.5 year C240 owner who's logged 23K miles. I've found the C to have plenty of power...how fast are you going to drive, anyways? I'm sure it will hit 100+ with ease (but like me, you're probably too smart to do that). It looks great, is comfortable for long trips, and has decent room in the back. Build quality, however, is a little less than I expected...I know my service dept. better than I thought I would. The reputation of the Lexus is outstanding, but my main complaint is this...who wants to pay $35K for a gussied-up family Camry? From day 1, regardless of the style du jour, it's got the same lines, front, and rear of the Camry. And while Camrys are well built cars, they've become synonymous with boring and ordinary. So if you're gonna go Lexus, you've got to move up, and then you're looking at C320 to E-Class prices, and a whole new ballgame. Makes the C240 seem like a good value to me.
    Thank you edarte for your valuable advice regarding battery care and recharging. I should have known better. I should have taken it out of the boot and done it on the garage floor. Now I have bought a brand new one and will have it installed after cleaning the base of the boot. There is an escape hole and rubber tube from the top side of the battery which goes through the floor in case the water-acid level is too high or ride is too bumpy. The top screw-nuts do not have any holes. Battery cost me A$120 new.
  • ahostahost Posts: 36
    I just found out that MB will discontinue the 4 year extended warranty after April 30, and increase prices of the shorter plans. I saw it on the E-class bulletin board, and just called my dealer who confirmed it. So, it's time to buy the extended warranty before it's too late. I'm in the process of buying now.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Just a reminder - if you are putting a battery on a cement floor you need to use some other surface, like a piece of wood, for the battery to rest on. I heard many years ago that if a battery sits directly on concrete, it will discharge over time.

Could someone please confirm or deny - I do not know the mechanics behind this, and want to make sure I'm giving correct info.

- Paul
  • dvancaodvancao Posts: 13
    It does NOT matter what kind of surface the battery is on. Batteries slowly loose its charge over time, more so in cold temps. That’s why it needs to be recharged.

Dat.
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    Thank you for posting re the discontinuation of the extended 4-year warranty April 30. Although I purchased my warranty from Courtesy some time ago, I forwarded the information to several friends who recently purchased a Mercedes.

Miki
  • crankstercrankster Posts: 20
    Old pre-1970s batteries had hard rubber cases that would cause them to lose their charge if left on a damp concrete floor. Today's plastic-cased batteries aren't affected.
  • ramzakramzak Posts: 9
    I have been researching the Acura TL, Infinity IS, MBZ C-320, Lexus ES300. I really like the C-320, looks great and drove very nice and quiet. Also my brother-in-law works for Freightliner, which is owned by MBZ. I could buy any model for 11.9% under invoice. That is $34232, less than the Lexus ES300 with all options plus Nav. But I still could not shake how comfortable and quiet the ride with the ES300. The other thing that stopped me was the complaints that many C-320 owners have with all the small problems, which never get fixed by the dealer or have to be brought in many times. I don't see these complaints with the Lexus. The Lexus ES300 is the same platform as the Camry, but thats where it stops. Same as the difference between the Chevy and the Cadillac.
    I know it is ONLY my opinion, but thanks for the opportunity to share.
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    The German auto club ADAC has released its breakdown statistics for 2001. The reliability is expressed as the number of breakdowns per 1000 vehicles.

Check it out:

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/werkstatt/0,1518,grossbild-179773-193601,00.html

The C Class is more reliable than the BMW 3 Series, though both are in the light green "good" zone.

• mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    So, you bought the C, right? At a deal like that you could sell it for more in two years than you paid for it.
    To all the guys who answered my call regarding the leaking battery in my C 180, thanks very much. At least when I post here, I get answers, when I post to the 2000 and earlier discussion, nobody replies! I have successfully removed the old one and found some rust under and had this scraped off and treated with rust busters and converters. Having done this, I put in the new battery and connected it together. Guess what? The radio system went and I do not know how to re-activate although I have the code. Please someone out there tell me how to key in this code as the sound came on only for 5 minutes twice and went off altogether. The first indication of failure or protection was one dash like " - " on the LCD display. Now there is a 3 dash like " - - - " on the LCD display. Does this mean the 3rd failed attempt? My car is a C180 1994 model with car radio/ cassette/ cd disc changer with the Mercedes Benz label on it.
  • lxgmblxgmb Posts: 41
    Tonight when I started the car, it gave me a malfunction message "Tail light, R". I checked the tail lights, both were dead. The small substitute lights were on. Anyone have same problem? My question is, the massage is about rigth light, why both tail lights were out?

It was 11:00pm, I had to drive home via high way, I called the road side assistant, they refused to come out and replace the bulbs.
This discussion has been closed.