Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I wouldn't worry about the RWD nature of the car. I expect that the coupe has the same ESP system that the sedan does. That goes a long way to improving your handling and so forth in poor weather. Obviously you have to be careful in such conditions no matter what. But I grew up in PA and learned to drive in a RWD car and never had any major problems in the snow. I think this worry is overrated. If you are a good driver you should be fine. And if you're a bad driver rwd or fwd won't make any difference. And since MB and BMW cars are designed in Germany where they certainly have their share of snow and so forth I would expect that they know what they're doing.
  • lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    I used MB wheel care, it did not work well, there are still some dust stick to the wheel. Anybody know any more efficient wheelcare stuff to remove the dust?
  • dec2000c320dec2000c320 Member Posts: 2
    when I picked up my car in dec2000 it had two color coded keys. each key was set at the time of delivery by the sales person to our individual seat,mirror and wheel settings. it was wonderful after my wife had used the car and I got in with my key once in the ignition all the settings moved to mine without having to push the memory button on the door. in the spring the keys,both of them , stopped working they would no longer open the doors or go to the settings. I went to dealer service (3 times)3 new sets of keys no one has been able to set the keys as they were the day of delivery even the original sales person I gave up any one out there that can explain how it was done please speak up
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    The next time you wash your car, wait until the wheels are cool (very important or you may warp the brake rotors), wash them, and give them two good coats of auto wax. This should make getting the brake dust off much easier in the future.
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    This is what I have learned was the problem with me losing the KEY DEPENDENT MEMORY FEATURE. I now have the right numbered keys. I hope this helps anyone out there that has had thier keys (remotes) replaced and lost this feature. Please feel free to print this out and go to your favorite dealer.

Dealer Technical Bulletin 49/01
    49/01 – Recalls and service campaigns: When repairing any vehicle, Always check the vehicle Master Inquiry for open campaigns.
    49/01-2 Group 80 – models 203,215,and 220, KEY DEPENDENT MEMORY FEATURE: This is to clarify the operation of the key-dependent memory feature. This feature allows memory settings for seat position, steering column adjustment and A/C settings (203 only) to be dependent upon which key is used to unlock or start the vehicle. If enabled by the customer, via the Instrument Cluster (A1) settings used. There are a total of three (3) memory blocks available: one for key #1, one for key #2, and one shared by keys #3 through #8.
    When ordering replacement keys for any reason, it is important to note that the only these three memory blocks are available, and the key number ordered will affect the memory blocks available. For example, if key #1 is replaced with key #4, then the first memory block (assigned to key #1) is no longer accessible. Specifically, key #2 will use the second memory block, and Keys #3 and #4 will share the third memory block. The loss of a memory block may lead to customer complaints. Therefore, if the customer wishes to retain the key dependent feature, replace keys #1 & #2 with the same numbered key.
  • dec2000c320dec2000c320 Member Posts: 2
    to rainers thank you dec200c320
  • mmoskoitzmmoskoitz Member Posts: 10
    I bought an in stock C240 with auto, memory mirrors/seats/steering wheel and heated seats/head lamp washer options but WITHOUT the sunroof option in March 2001. I was trying to buy one as cheaply as possible. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'2" and we were thrilled with the automatic memory seats at first. At first the memory function worked perfectly. I would unlock the car with the remote key and as I opened the drivers door the seat would move back from Cheryl's exit position to my entry position. Then when I inserted my key into the ignition the seat steering wheel and mirrors would move into my memories. Perfect. Now I have to manually move the seat back after Cheryl last used the car or I have to sqeeze in and get my knees squeezed against the dash/knee board as the seat moves from Cheryl's memory position to mine. Adding insult to injury I constantly have to press the memory position selecter to fine tune the settings. The seats, steering wheel and mirrors are always a little off. Does all this relate to the previous post about keys?

I'm more disappointed than anything. Aside from this one flaw we love the car. It drives beautifully, has a quiet interior gets decent mileage and it's a blast telling people it cost less than a Ford Explorer.

Michael Moskovitz
    Audiovisual CAD
    Shen, Milsom & Wilke
    Princeton Junction, New Jersey
  • karenb2karenb2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I took in my c280 which I had purchased used for scheduled maintenance. The car had 27K miles on it and the original Michelin tires. I'm told that they are at their end of life. AT 27K miles I asked? I'm told this is not unusual for these cars. Would anyone care to confirm or deny this. Perhaps a suggestion on best tires to purchase, for safety, ride performance and good wear? Thanks
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    Hello Karen - I have 32800 miles on our '99 C280. After two swaps between front and back to even wear, the fronts are now at 2.5 mm and the rears are at 2 mm. I plan to replace these tyres in the next 60 days. They are the original Goodyear RS/A 205/60R15s. I am not a particularly sporty driver; we've had the car from new.

I would suggest 27,000 miles on a set of tyres is not unusual, allowing for perhaps hard driving by the previous owner, and/or no tyre rotation.

BTW I was quoted $172 USD each including fitting plus 99.95 alignment for a set of Michelin MXV4+ by our local dealership...

Other experts?
  • richardjenkinsrichardjenkins Member Posts: 20
    Sorry Karen - I forgot to mention I use a fairly inexpensive gauge which measures the tread depth. This I purchased when we were living in the UK. It shows tread depths in millimeters. The minimum tread depth in the UK is (was!) 1.6 mm. In the states I am not honestly certain what the legal requirements are; I've heard of the "must not be below Lincoln's head on a penny" trick but am quite sure I have no idea what this is in mm or inches:)
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    I have exactly the same problems as you with my C320. I thought it was a malfunction with my car. I went all the way to the service manager to get it fixed. However, he let me finally try a new car('02 model), and it worked exactly the same (strange) way as mine. So, it's not a malfunction, but rather a design flaw from Mercedes. I see it as a software error, and my opinion they should be able to fix it by fixing the code and download a new version to the car (I assume their software is stored in some reprogrammble ROM or similar).
  • gabygirlgabygirl Member Posts: 1
    If it is known that an inline 6 is smoother, why did M-B develop and use a V-6, power? space?
  • jelecroyjelecroy Member Posts: 6
    The V-6 takes less space under the hood, being shorter, and the engine block alone is almost 100 pounds lighter than the previous inline 6 (57 pounds vs 153). The shorter crankshaft is also lighter, and stiffer.

Actually, a 60 degree V-6 can be just as inherently balanced as a stright 6. DC chose to make 90 degree 6's to be able to use the same tooling they use on v-8s and v-12s, which are in balance with a 90 degree v.

They overcame the smoothness issue in to wsteps. First, the V-6 engnes (2.6 and 3.2 liter anyway) have offset cranks, so the firing order is even, at the cost of making the crankshaft somewhat more expensive to machine. Second, the egines have a counter-rotating balance shaft, to smooth out mass balance issues. My C-240 feels pretty smooth. Would an inline 6 be smoother? maybe, but it would have to have a hood close to a foot longer, and the extra weight on teh front end would make steering tougher. I'm okay with the V-6.
  • billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    Check the settings in the On Board Computer. There are options where you set the key memory feature and the auto-entry/exit feature where it moves the seat and steering wheel out of the way. Maybe it isn't set for some reason.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    There's another reason MB adopted a V6 approach: the 6 cyl and 8 cyl engines share a common engineering base, share many internal and external components, and are machined on the same assembly line by the same equipment. The V6 and V8 engines were designed as part of a common family that would have a common block architecture. This will also be true, finally, when the new 4 cyl all-alum engines are introduced and become universal - all of them will be able to be machined on a common assembly line and share many parts. The presence of the old iron-block 4 cyl engines in the lineup has prevented this approach on the 4s, but it's been a goal for at least a decade.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Do you know when the new four cylinders are due to come over here?
  • 404c404c Member Posts: 146
    The new 1.8L engines will be coming here this year, first in the 2003 C 230 K model. I wish they would offer these "M271" engines in the C sedan too, as the low-tech 3-valve 2.6 L V-6 is a bit of a dog (no power, peaky torque, a bit rough running due the the 90 degree bank spacing and with quite poor fuel economy).

Maybe the updated version of the V-6 that Mercedes is working on right now will be a major improvement on it.

In any case, I'd like a 170 HP supercharged four in my sedan, thank you very much! These new engines should be as smooth if not smoother than the V6 due to the double Lanchester balancers and their small displacement. Plus, the torque characteristics of the supercharged engine will be vastly superior to those of the C 240 - more torque, more at lower revs, and a flatter curve to boot.

Meanwhile, the 2.3 L four in the 2002 C 230 K we have on order right now (should get it in a week or so) will have to do. It's got bags more speed and torque than the 2.6 V6 and better fuel economy (1.2 L/100 km better, over 10%) too. It's no smoother, though.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...we in North America will apparently only see the new 4 in the C-Coupe....for now. That will be the standard engine in the '03 version of the Coupe starting in Aug/Sept, whenever they start to arrive at our ports.

After that, who knows? MB seems to have actually committed to sending us the next-gen A-Class, which should be here for the 2004 model year, or so they are promising. One or more of the new 4s will be the standard engine in our A, though there will presumably also be hybrid or fuel cell drivetrains designed for this car as it matures in our market. Whether or not we will see another 4 cyl C sedan is open to question - I kind of doubt it, but the marketing people at D-B [and for that matter, BMW, as well] are notoriously schizoid about their perception of what appeals to Americans, so anything is possible.
    Tomorrow we pick up our new 2002 C 230 Kompressor - magma red, 6 speed manual, panorama roof and rain sensor wipers. It should be an exciting day. All the best to other M-B owners.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Are there any owners of current C240s out there who can share what it was that made them buy their car over another? In the market for a low thirty-ish car. I have always considered M-B the be the pinnacle of automotive excellence--whether they are or not is irrelevant because I think they are. I'm having a real hard time getting "excited" about the C240 just for the sake of owning a M-B. My perception of the small Mercedes has been that it's the one you buy when you want a M-B, but can not afford one. Like a 3-Series BMW. I know the C240 is loaded with safety features like the head curtain airbags and stability control. Anyway, just wondering what made you decide to get the C240 over, say, a Passat GLX, Infiniti I35, Acura TL, Lexus ES300, or even a BMW 325i. I hope I made some sense. Thanks.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    We bought a C240 for my wife last summer. We didn't cross shop the Passat. The I35, TL, and ES300 are simply ugly in my opinion. Also, my wife likes driving smaller cars, and I believe that all of the cars that you mentioned are somewhat larger than the C.

We did drive the 325. My wife has this thing about cars with high rear decks. She has trouble seeing out the rear view mirror in such cars and thus didn't like the 325, which has a high rear deck lid. The C240 was noticeably quieter as well -- the 325 seemed to have a lot more wind noise, particularly around the A-pillar. She's not a sporting driver, so the tighter handling of a 325 is simply lost on her. I don't like parts of the interior on the 325 as well.

We've had the C240 since September 2002 and I have to say that it is a very nice car, IMHO. It's a tad slow and a bit soft for my tastes, but still a very nice, refined car. Would I prefer a E or S class? Sure. Just don't want to pay for one.
    Thanks. I understand what you mean. I guess my problem with perception is my problem. I'll either get over it, or I won't--but if I go elsewhere, it won't be because I didn't like Mercedes-Benz!
  • bubba3007bubba3007 Member Posts: 38
    My C240 was built to order and delivered Feb 2001. I was coming off of an Acura Integra and shopping for a TL when the local MB dealer received his first C Class demo. After driving the C, I tried the BMW 325 Wagon and the Acura dropped off my screen. The only choice was the C or the BMW. The BMW is quite a drive and I believe I would have been happy with it, but the C won my heart. I don't understand the complaints about the C 240 being slow. Its certainly not a dragster, but on the highway, cruise set at 80, going up a grade, with the A/C on, when I press the peddle to pass I get a pleasant push against my back and an assertive speed gain that minimizes my time in the left lane. However, if power is what you want, get a C 32 AMG, then you get the power, speed, and the luxury too. Either way you can't go wrong, there is absolutely nothing like driving a Mercedes in my opinion. (YMMD)

Bubba
    "... My friends all drive Porsches, I must make AMENDS..." J. Joplin
  • pinplayerpinplayer Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing my first MB, a '98 C280. I want to make sure there is a reliable service shop in my area. Has anyone had any experience with the Silver Star Motors shop in Carmichael?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    claywaterfill: For my tastes, acceleration of the C240 off the line is a bit slow. Midrange and upper end is ok. But it is a bit sluggish off the line. Would I have preferred a C32 or even a C320? Of course. But the C32 costs around $50k, this is my wife's car that I don't drive very often, and she wouldn't notice the difference.
  • rbinwehorbinweho Member Posts: 5
    claywaterfill: Picked up my C240 last Monday, and very pleased with my decision. (Bordeaux, Auto, C2 pkg, CD-changer) Decision was primarily focused on price. Runners-up were 325i, G35, A6. Dealer came in $700 under invoice on the C240, which really sealed the deal. That gives me the opportunity to lease a Mercedes at a price that I'm very comfortable with. Closest runner-up was the BMW at around $100 a month more expensive. (Didn't find a more aggressive price w/ BMW)

I think I got a great car at a great price.

Next time I'd add memory seats as well.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Did you really mean $700 under invoice??
    Here are the numbers: $31593.56 for the car, plus $875 for the CD changer.

The "$700 under" figure came from the dealer, so I should have double checked it. If I left money on the table, I don't think I left much.
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    could the c240 be leased for 500/mo, 39 yrs,zero cap cost including tax, 15k miles yr. any help appreciated thanks
    i was not under the impression that M-B dealers would come off of sticker--or not much anyway. That is some useful info--thanks for the input!
    My partner's dad got the ML320 at invoice back in March. Other friends said that MB didn't move off of sticker, but my experience indicates that there's some wiggle room.

I used the Auto Club's program to find my dealer. They'll give you a dealer name to contact for the car you're looking for. The participating dealer will show you the invoice for the car you want, then show you their price for the vehicle. For me, that was a valuable way to go.
  • mpatel6mpatel6 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have a 2002 C-240. I had my window tint few months ago, and I have lost respect ion on the AM dial of the radio. I get FM clearly. Has anyone else had this problem, if so please let me know the what was done to resolve this issue. I believe this is due to the metal in the tint. Thanks
  • cityscapex5cityscapex5 Member Posts: 14
    To answer claywaterfill - I have a C Sedan - its a beautiful car with a balance of luxury and performance i feel comfortable with. To quote Tom Davis of Performance Products from European Car Magazine "We always liked the styling of the new C-Class Mercedes, some of us thought the car looked better proportionally than the new S-Class" So there is room for opinion that the C-class stands on its own on in the "desirability" ranking. Im in my mid 30's and would never have considered an E Class - to me it screams 50 year old doctors car, the S-Class, well im not looking to be seen as a corporate raider or pimp - so the C class image works fine for me. The only other car i also considered was a BMW 325 which is comparatively noiser with an auto and less luxurious and their like civics in my neck of the woods - a dime a dozen.
    We picked up our C 230 K on last Wednesday - what a superb car! It's like a cathedral inside, such is the quiet and solidity at speed. The torque is unbelievably strong, far better than the C 240s we drove (I still like the C 240, don't get me wrong).

Of course, the 2.3 L C 230 develops 30 more lbs-ft 2000 rpm sooner than the C 240, which explains everything. I wish the 4 cylinder engines were available in the sedans in N. America. The new 1.8 will not match the now superseded 2.3 for torque or the breadth of the peak, but I'd still prefer the 192 HP 4 cylinder due to its far better fuel economy and better speed. Too bad it's not available in the sedan, even in Europe (only the 162 HP version is).

About the idea that the C is the Mercedes-Benz for people that can't really afford one, and all the more expensive models are better, I'd like to point out something.

You could just as easily say that the more expensive M-B models are for those with more money than brains, though that would be cruel and most probably untrue.

But there is a kernel of truth to this, if only in the sense that the C Class, provided the vehicle size is to your liking, offers FAR better value for money than the ones that cost two and three times as much. The more expensive ones are simply not that much better than the C. In fact, German reliability statistics point out that the C has fewer breakdowns than the larger Benzes.

So yes, Virginia, the C Class is a real Benz and in fact it is by far the best value for money that this particular firm offers in North America. This is epecially true in Canada, where C prices are way lower than the equivalent cars in the USA.
  • tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    Hello, all. It's been almost a year now since receiving my desert silver C240 w/sport package. Have loved every minute of it!

My time is running out and I'm about decided to get the extended warranty since my 2001 was the first model year of a car with many new electronic bells and whistles (and seeing some of the problems with the very first of these cars back when I shopped in early 2001).

There used to be a member here who provided the name of a M-B dealer who offered the extended warranties at very good prices, which you would purchase and transfer to your dealer, or at least use the quote to show your local dealership. Does anyone still have that information?

Thanks a million. Email to schreyer@epix.net if you think it's more appropriate.

Love my C!

Tim
    My C240 (auto, C2, CD), lease for 39 mo, with $733.60 drive off would have been $469.60 a month including tax. I would guess that with no drive off you'd still be under $500 a month.
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    Yes, I bought my extended warranty from Lisa Lehrbaum from Courtesy motors in Chico, CA (530-893-1300). I paid $1680 for 4 year extended warranty, compared to MRSP of $2550. Unfortunately, the 4 year extended warranty was discontinued on April 30 (but 3 years still exists), and other prices increased from MB. But probably Courtesy motors still offer good prices for 1-3 years warranties.
  • goodwingoodwin Member Posts: 24
    2 weeks ago i got back from a trip to cape cod, mercedes ran fine at 80-90 mph the whole trip down not one problem, average was 27 mpg for a round trip of 414 miles. the car now has 3,800 miles on it and it is running fine only 1 problem was the outside temp gauge sensor was faulty, it was reading apx 40 degrees off, dealership put a new one 1 in the next day for me.

around town the car is getting 23mpg city driving not bad at all, i like the car very much, on long trips like down to the cape my legs started to cramp a little as i'm 6'5" and the seat all the way back and down. this car has been great and only seems to get better i would recommend this c240 for anyone looking for a nice car to drive around in.
    Thanks for the reply, ahost. If I don't hear more I will pursue your reference.

Sounds like I should have been paying more attention. If I had I may have opted for the 4 year extension before it was discontinued.

Does anyone find it worrisome that they canned the 4 year extension? I can imagine the two years of statistical data on the new C's which may have led to the business decision...

But I like to remain positive!

Tim
  • jelecroyjelecroy Member Posts: 6
    I also bought an extended warranty from Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy MB in Chico, but only for 3 years/100k miles. My C-240 will have 100k before 7 years are up, and the three year term was a hundred bucks less. Lisa was very easy to work with.

I think that MB-USA cut the available extended warranty to a 3 year extension for ALL MB passenger cars, not just the C-class. It is possible that they looked at their claims experience in the last year of coverage, and didn't like what they saw. I think that simultaneous with reducing the term limit on the extension, they also raised the coverage price. If you get a quote from Lisa, please post it so that other folks will know what their options are, and I can tell my wife what a bargain our EW was.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • mmoskoitzmmoskoitz Member Posts: 10
    Seat Memories:
    I contacted MB USA via email after reading the previous posts about seat memory loss and drift. I clipped out the technical service bulletin and they instructed me to make an appointment with my dealer and tell the dealer to contact the area service technician. Gregg at Brandywine Mercedes in West Chester Pennsylvania called yesterday and told Cheryl someting about ordering a "#1" replacement key. This is the fourth time we've had a service call on the seats or keys. I'll keep everyone posted.

Front Bushings:
    Cheryl and I began to notice a low frequency rubbing noise from the front of the car when pulling into our driveway. She sat in the car while I pushed on either bumper and the sound was obvious. Gregg said that the "Bushings were defective". He told Cheryl "The parts will be in on Thursday."

Lastly, I live in South Jersey, one $3 brige toll and about an hour from my Brandywine Mercedes. Here's the list of loaners I've had: 2000 C230, 2001 C320 Sport, 2000 ML320, 2002 C320 Wagon, and a 2001 E320. The drop off/pickup drivers are always polite and on time. With the exception of the current drought conditions, our car is returned washed.

Regards, Michael
    My mirrors and seat settings drift, too, and seem to have done so more often lately. (By the way, I have the same settings on the key saved to memory #1 on the door and I just pop the button there when I see that it's not quite right as a work-around.)

But after your message Michael about replacing the key, it occurs to me that I just replaced my batteries in my key (at the dealer, $9.95 + tx) because it was starting to operate intermittently. The greater frequency of memory drift may have been related to the failing batteries in the key. I'll have to see if the settings stick any better now with fresh batteries.

By the way, my C240 is just approaching its 1st year with us, so I thought that was pretty soon to be replacing batteries. My key is the one used 90%+ of the time, but I was kind of surprised to be changing batteries already.

Tim
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ciracira Member Posts: 37
    I have had the pleasure of driving my c230 for 2 months now and just love the car. I echo all the good things said by 404c. My only complaint is that the seats do not have a lumbar adjustment (this does not come with either the manual or power seats). After 20 to 30 minutes, my lower back starts screaming. I have yet to find a truly comfortable seat position. My dealer said there is nothing they can do and suggested that I get a lumbar pillow, but I hate the idea of having to adjust a pillow every time I get in the car. Any other suggestions?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Griot's sells a lumbar support that adjusts with an air squeeze bulb. It comes with two L shaped brackets that fit into the space between the seat back and bottom and hold the support in place. Well made of black leather....$100
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    I have found that the bottom seat cushion must be completely flat or back pain will result. If the seat bottom is tilted up in the front it puts a lot of pressure on the lower back.

I have a C230K with power seats. Good luck.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Does anyone know what changes (even if minor) are planned for the 2003s? I'm debating between a BMW330, a Saab 9-3 and the C-class...just curious what things are going to change. (I realize the car was just redesigned, so I'm not expecting anything major).
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Hello All,

I bought my C240 in June 2001, I was under impression that it is automatically covered for 4 years or 50 K miles.

Please let me know what I need to do; as I wanted a peace of mind. I have received a mail for my Tele Aid subscription renewal, please also let me know if its worth $240 price tag or we can shop similar service elsewhere too and what many of you are opted for

BTW new E class is sweet !

thanks a lot in advance
    I have not heard of the changes for the C-Class; but, the Saab will be all new for 2003. I understand the hatchback is gone--so if that's what you want, you'd better buy quickly! The BMW 3 Series will be new in 2004 from what I understand--so you can expect big changes late next year as they switch from E46 to E60 (I believe it will be). The Saab may bring the hatch the following year and the M-B may be due for updating by then. So, long story short, if this is your short list, you may do well to wait another year.
This discussion has been closed.