Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Your welcome. I too am awaiting MBUSA to update their site.

M
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Long time no see. Thanks for your response re: the FSS system. I drove the car exactly like I always drive it for those 250 miles - so,yes, that could be the problem, but, I doubt it.

I plan to get the "A" service real soon and will follow-up with the MB service rep at my dealer. I will let you know what they say. Hope it isn't broken - but will find out.

Otherwise, my '99 C280 is doing very well (33,400 miles). I do plan to install a set of new tires but need help in deciding which make of tire. Costco installed a new set of Michelin MXV 4's (Energy Plus) on out Toyota Camry last year - for free! They replaced the old Michelin X's because they said that they gave me a "bum steer" when I installed them new a few years ago. They said that they had a class action suit for installing the wrong tires on customers cars and they were replacing tires as the customers come in to the shop. But, I really hate the extreme noise (whining) that I get on the MXV's and plan to go to something else.

Nice to hear from you once again and wish you a very happy and healthy new year. Thanks again.
  • newhampshirenewhampshire Member Posts: 7
    I would have to disagree about the point stated in a previous post about ESP being useless in snow. The only way I would partially agree is that if you only consider driving very slowly in the snow. If you are on highways at highway speeds (in snow, think 35-45mph) the ESP is very very valuable.

I recently drove 80 miles in 3 inches of unplowed snow from Springfield, MA to Hanover, NH and I saw no less than 3 sedans and 5 SUVs spun into the median snow banks. I cruised right past in the fresh snow covered left lane. People tend to keep to the ruts in the right lane and that is a big mistake.

Anyway, it truly does help to have the ESP, you can see the yellow warning light and easily feel the car correcting for subtle twists that would turn into spins. I think it aids a good driver and would be an absolute requirement for a bad driver.

Just my 2 cents.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I got Yoko AVS dBs from Discount Tire, total cost about $550.

They don't hold the road as good as my original Conti's, but the Conti's lasted only about 20K. I think the Yokos are quieter. I don't know if the Yokos will last very long either. I only have about 7K on them and the tread looks 1/2 gone. Plus there's some news article which says a lot of the road holding/handling capability is gone when treadwear reaches 50% - great :-(

I still love the looks of my car a lot. Looks speedy even when standing still! And I still love driving it - great disappointment when I open the garage door in the morning and find I have to drive the other car.

Only things I wish for are: Wish I got black leather interior, a darker tint in the windows, heated seats and the extended service warranty :-(
  • tclawtclaw Member Posts: 23
    Thanks to those of you that advised about my non-working tail lights (without the "supplemental" bulbs coming on or any indication on the dash display that there was a problem). Both of these should have happened. I decided to have my wife take it to the dealer, while I used her car (no sexism comments please, I work and she doesn't), and the dealer claims that not only had the tail light bulbs burned out, simultaneously I suppose, but that the brake light bulbs were also blown. They weren't the night before. They did nothing about the failure of the supplemental light bulbs to come on or the failure of the computer to display the problem, or look for any cause of the alleged bulb failure. So, whatever was wrong is still wrong. Great service, huh? But they did wash the car.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    No error code for bulb failure should be fixed. Try pulling a bulb and see if it comes up a failure. If not, make them fix it. You should get a failure notifying you of the bulb location. Or you could just wait until you get a ticket.
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    Well, well, not surprised.

Curious how these kinds of things warning systems would work. Anyone know for sure?

Lets assume the requirement is to notify the driver that there is a "problem" that requires attention. This should be indicated by a change in the current draw of the circuit, no? So in this case, blowing 1 to N bulbs "should" have cause some sort of idiot (no offense) light to illuminate on the dash.

I am not at all sure that I'd put the effort into having a fault code to identify the bulb which failed; sounds like a little over the top to me (I'm an EE by trade) given the benefit vs. cost.

So in this case I certainly would have expected some sort of dash indicator notice that there was a problem. I am not at all surprised however that multiple bulbs burned out at once since exactly that happened to me. Altho on my C (99) there was a dash light.

Don't know about the substitution though, hadn't heard of that before.

Let us know what the dealer says, eh?
    "I am not at all sure that I'd put the effort into having a fault code to identify the bulb which failed; sounds like a little over the top to me (I'm an EE by trade) given the benefit vs. cost."

Yup, it tells you the location and logs a 'malfunction' message. Also, there is no German translation for 'over the top' when it comes to automotive engineering.
    Un-Be-Lievable. I am *really* impressed now with my car...and it even identifies the location? No wonder the buggers cost so much:)

thanks for the tip...rich
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Please post your driving experience about this car, particularly the ride, road noise and acceleration. Thanks
  • jettaglxvr6jettaglxvr6 Member Posts: 64
    I test drove the C230 Kompressor sport sedan this past weekend and LOVED it. I was amazed! I had driven a 6spd C240 a couple of weeks ago and was duly unimpressed; however, when I drove the C230 sport, it was a lot quicker, a lot more firm (due to the sport tuned suspension), and looked a whole lot better with the body molding and AWESOME 17 inch tires (very cool rims). The ride is a little harsh, but I like it that way and there is a small amount of turbo lag in first gear. But once you are in second and third, the car comes to life. I can only imagine how incredible the C320 sport with a six speed is going to drive; but, for 35K base price, that is a little out of my league. I am definitely going to purchase the C230 within the next month and would also love to hear any other driving impressions; I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything, but I truly loved this car. . . .and it's only a 4 cylinder!!
    Is the throttle lag apparent in the automatic version? I am very interested in this car and want to get as much information (including comaparative ride, off the line pick-up, and road noise). Thanks.

Mark
    I would probably get a c230 sport sedan automatic BUT w/o the 17 inch tires. Would probably trade the tires with OEM MB 16 inchers. I am not crazy about the looks but I'm very particular about road noise, I don't want to feel gravel type road grains. Dealer doesn't have yet the model that I want.

I drove the c240 with automatic but was disappointed by the weak off-the-line pick up and the too-soft ride (ala camry) but I am happy with the rest of the car.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    How did the 230K engine noise and vibration compare with the V6?
  • jvp12jvp12 Member Posts: 2
  • jvp12jvp12 Member Posts: 2
    If you get a C240 and would like to trade for a set of 16 sport wheels please e mail me.
    I have a 2002 C320 sport and I live in Northern Ca. Jparlette@excite.com
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty recently on the C class. I received a quote of $2380 from various MB dealerships for an extended 3 yr warranty. Have not been able to contact Lisa from Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA as of yet. Just curious as to what others have paid. My one year anniversary on my C class is coming up on 1/22/03 and so I have to make a decision real fast. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • e320wagone320wagon Member Posts: 13
    I bought one the beginning of this month from Lisa - I had two days left till my year was up!

This was the second MB ext warr I have bought from Lisa - the first was two years ago for another car. As you probably know, the duration has been reduced by MB from 4yrs/50k to 3yrs/50k. Pricing has changed little - now $1690.

As before, buying the warr from Lisa was very easy - one phone call to the 800 number, read off your vin, current odometer, credit card, and your done!
    Are on the www.mbusa.com web site...check it out...rj
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the information e320wagon. That was very helpful.
    Has anyone purchased the C230K Sport Sedan or the C320 Sport Sedan yet? If so, what kind of deal did you get?

Thanks!
    Has anybody had a mishap about their IC hitting a road obstacle/curb/bumps? I am concerned about its location which is at the chin portion. My wife could damage it since she is not as careful as me when driving the car.
  • seanl3seanl3 Member Posts: 5
    I have recently purchased an '01 C320 for my wife (November 02). and I have noticed that when I get gas for the car(notice, when I get gas for her car, but that is a different story), and I put it in the garage, the gas fumes are very heavy. I do not overfill, or 'top-off'. Has anyone here have this happen to them? or should I be running back to MB of Orland, for servicing? (They have been great, by the way). The fumes are so heavy that they seep into the family room which is attached to the garage.

I still am having problems with the smartkey, they have ordered a fourth one so far, and you only get 10 smartkeys for the life of the car.

I have had it in service now twice, and don't really want to take it back for anything else.
    I have never smelled even a hint of gas from my '01 C320 and I have a sensitive nose. Definitely take it in soon. The keys have been problematic but the newest key rev seems to fix the problem for good. Do a search in the forum and you'll find how to identify the key by the number on it and which one fixes the problem. If you already have the correct rev keys maybe they should be replacing the key unit in the car . Some people have had that done.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...get to a dealer quickly on the problem with the fuel smell. This should not be happening. I can speculate on about a half dozen possible suspects, but in any case, this is neither normal nor common.
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone experienced a Fulda Assuro set of tires? I am considering them for my 1999 C280. The price is $79 per tire installed, balanced, and rubber stems.They are made in Germany and are said to be very good on the German autobahn's.They are advertised to be very quiet and have excellent traction and cornering, etc., with a 40K mile unconditional warranty.

Tire size is: 205 x 60R x 15, speed rating is H.

If so, how have they performed?
    Thanks for any answer.
    Just thought I would let everyone know that I ordered an '03 C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan (6 speed, of course) with C2, heated seats, Bose, & 6 Disc Changer in alabaster white with charcoal interior. MSRP $31,985 (Invoice 29,746), paid $31,000 (couldn't get them to move any more than that on the price). It will be 8 to 10 weeks and the anticipation is going to kill me. Has anyone else ordered/bought either the C230 or C320 Sport Sedan yet? Let me know what kind of deal you got.
    Thanks!
    Sweet! Edmunds finally added all of the info for the new Sports Sedans and coupes. Of course, they didn't get this info out until after I ordered the car last night. Luckily, according to the TMV, the car, with my options, should sell for $30,992 and I got it for $31,000.
  • wc68wc68 Member Posts: 23
    I just ordered my C230WZ sport sedan yesterday. It is automatic, C2, C3, C4, heated seats, Bose stereo upgrade, CD changer, Pewter with charcoal interior. MSRP $35,165, my cost $500 over dealer cost. Could have got a better deal but was happy with $500 over dealer cost. What did others pay???
    WC68,
    When you say $500 over cost, what was the actual dollar amount that you paid? When I ordered mine, the "cost" or invoice was $1250 less than I actually paid. Assuming that MB uses a 7% markup, your invoice price would have been $32,703; are you saying that you only paid $33,203? If so, that would be one heck of a deal and they really pulled the wool over my eyes!! Or are you saying that they added $500 over MSRP?

Anyway, your car seems pretty well loaded and I can imagine that you are psyched to get it. How long did they say it would take? 8 to 10 weeks??
    The invoice on the car including freight is $32,755 + $500 profit + $400 advertising fee + $150 car prep fee = $33,805 before tax and license. I kow the adversting fee might be bull but they say that they have to pay it to the factory. I assume invoice cost on the web does not include advertising fee. My car will be built in Feb 03 and will get here 6 weeks from then. What part of the US are you? I am in Washington!
    Sounds like a great deal; when all told, you still got $1360 off MSRP and from what they are saying around here, that is a pretty impressive deal. . . .GOOD HAGGLING!! I am in Richmond, VA and my dealer stated that it should not take longer than 60 days to get my car, but they say 8 to 10 weeks just to cover themselves.
    Do you know when they are going to start building your car? My car will start on Feb 28, 2003. The wait is killing me!!!
    Sounds like a great deal; when all told, you still got $1360 off MSRP and from what they are saying around here, that is a pretty impressive deal. . . .GOOD HAGGLING!! I am in Richmond, VA and my dealer stated that it should not take longer than 60 days to get my car, but they say 8 to 10 weeks just to cover themselves.
    Do you know when they are going to start building your car? My car will start on Feb 28, 2003. The wait is killing me!!!
    WC68,
    I got a call from my dealer today and he stated that he might be able to alter a previous order that had gone in before mine and is now being cancelled. He said if he could do that, the building would start in the first week of Feb, no exact date yet, he is supposed to keep me posted. I'm not getting my hopes up yet; I'm not expecting to see my car until the end of March/beginning of April. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
    Jettaglxvr6,
    are you buying the extended warranty?
    I have never been a big fan of extended warranties. I figure since the first 50000 miles are on them and we have until that warranty expires to purchase an extended one, I am not going to get one now. How about yourself?
    Instead of using these silly user names, mine is Tony. I think you can figure out the jettaglxvr6 name, but what does the WC68 stand for?
    My name is Willy and 68 is my favorite number! You can buy an extended manaufacter warranty any time within one year of the purchase. The MSRP for extra 3 years and extended to 100,000 miles is $2,300.00. Through this forum I have found Lisa in Chico, California who sells them at a discount $1,690.00. You can buy over the phone. Let me know if you want her number! I have talked to her a few times and she is very easy to work with. I plan on buying one because the cost to fix something will pay for it self. I want my car now, the wait is killing me!!!
    Willy,
    Thanks for the info regarding the warranty and Lisa. If you could, please let me know her phone number and if I do decide to get it, I will definitely call her.

And you are right, the wait is going to kill me! But, I know that day when I pull up to the dealership to pick it up, it will all be worth it!!

Keep me informed as you receive updates on your car.
    Tony
  • teohcteohc Member Posts: 2
    Any known problems with rear suspension squeals when swinging hard turns on uneven surfaces or at freeway speeds going over dips?
    Dealer couldn't diagnose/fix first time around. Hoping second time is a charm.

cliff
    Willy,
    Thanks for the info regarding the warranty and Lisa. If you could, please let me know her phone number and if I do decide to get it, I will definitely call her.

And you are right, the wait is going to kill me! But, I know that day when I pull up to the dealership to pick it up, it will all be worth it!!

Keep me informed as you receive updates on your car.
    Tony
    Tony,
    Lisa Lehrbaum, Courtesty Motors 1 (800)655-3535. Best deal in town!!! I wonder who will get their car first? As the days go by let me know the status of your car! Willy
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    i set in my friend's C55 AMG the other day, he insisted his car was made in Germany. i thought all C class made or asembled in the US (or Mexico?) who is right?

and can anyone show me a link or place that i can find out where actually is the vehicle made? can we tell from the VIN numbers?

thanks in advance,
    There's a sticker inside the driver's door jam with the manufacturing location.
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    All Benz's destined to the US other than the ML are assembled and produced in Germany. Although the ML's drivetrain is shipped fully assembled from Germany though.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    C class cars for the US are also manufactured in Brazil
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    thanks for all the answers, so who is right? Brazil or Germany, or even Mexico? can someone points me to a link that i can check this out, (except my friend door of course) i know people who bought the AMG paid much more than an c230, can't imagine they paid for non Germany made car.... at the same time, i don't see they would specially built C55 body at Germany while other c are made in Brazil or mexico...

by the way, i did notice there are a loud rattle noise from my friend's car at that day, it goes away for like 5 to 10 mins, but it came back every time he starts his car, sounds like he's riding a chopper.
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    I have posted in the past that I traded my 2001 C240 for 2002 C320 Sportwagon. I had renewed the Tele aid 6 months earlier. The dealer told me that there was nothing I could do about the unused portion.

I received a renewal notice the other day for the 2001. I was going to throw it away tonight but I noticed that they were going to bill me automatically.

I called the 800 number and explained what had happened and, to my amazement, the guy tells me that he will issue me a credit for the 6 months that I had left on the old car. This is 7 months after I had traded the car.

We all do a lot of crying about MB in this forum but I can not imagine how they could have treated me better. I can not say the same for the dealer that gave me the bad information. He will hear from me tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.