Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is an '02 model that had a $34.5k MSRP, and sold new for $30k in September. Any one year-old car at this point should be discounted heavily to compensate for its currently depressed real-world value.
  • chasstl1chasstl1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in a '02 or '03 C240 sedan, having never bought a Mercedes before. I drove both recently and really liked the cars, but I have a few concerns. First, I had a hard time reading the computer's multifunction display. I needed my reading glasses (which I don't need to drive) to make it out clearly. I noticed on a Volvo I drove that it's display was in green rather than the red on the C240. Anybody else have that problem? Can they change the color of the display some way? Second, I found the 240 slow to accelerate in the lower gears (this is an automatic). Once on the highway, it accelerated quite well at the higher speeds. Otherwise, I loved the way the cars handled and performed. Third, after driving one for 20 to 25 minutes, my butt got sore. I've always noticed when getting in a MB that the seats feel stiffer, but I've never gotten a sore bum in any car, certainly not in such a short period of time. Anybody else have that problem? Do you get used to it over time? Looking forward to your responses, and any other advice regarding the car.
  • saabbersaabber Member Posts: 84
    I feel your pain. The CLK 2-door models have the same digital display, except in blue or green (I forgot which one). I am fine with the orange (which I can see well), but I agree that a different darker color may be better.
    Yes, the C240 is sluggish in acceleration and the seat is less comfortable, but if that were not the case, no one would buy the C320 because the C240 (or C230) would almost be the same car. Although the C320 is a little more expensive, it does address some of your concerns, and you get a slightly better A/C panel.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    The HAC differences between the C240, 230, and 320 are more than just digital controls. The C320 incorporates a large charcoal filter canister that filters the cabin air, a smog sensor for auto recirculation, and a 4 way sun sensor. It effectively filters out obnoxious smells.
  • c2jonesc2jones Member Posts: 1
    We have just ordered our new 230 Sedan, now awaiting our pickup in south Florida. We ordered several specialty options. In response to the two individuals posting the "South Florida/Miami Prices" segments, I thought I would also state some things.

Our price was $36,484.03. This is because we had Tele-Aid put in, the special Bi-Xenon lights C-4 package, as well as the C-2 package (C-7 comes standard with the 230 Sedan), additional blue tinting (on the already blue glass), wind-deflector (for the sunroof) and mud flaps (to reduce the paint chipping which I understand may be an issue with these new finishes).

The Tele-Aid option is not popular with C-Class buyers because budget seems to be key. But in our case, we wanted the most MB for the money, and then we took the liberty to make the car into a MB of choice (which is what MB hopes many will figure to do, given their initial price break offering on the series).

We elected the Bi-Xenon lights right away. I have a knack for styling cues, and this addition (as was intended from the cover of the sales brochure) adds a distinct E-Class looking fascia. It was only another $750 and was well worth it. The day they showed us the car at the dealer, many customers approached and were awed at the strong touch of elegance on this entry-level Sedan. I think we have the only one in the state ordered like this (says the dealer). Even the TV commercial has the standard (hazy-looking) lamps. Ours looks akin to an SL with the lower Xenon sport fog lights added to match the main lights. With all the above options, this is one sharp machine. (Especially at this price!)

Regarding the place of purchase, we purchased ours from MB of Ft. Laud. Their prices seemed to be about the same as Autohaus (of which is referenced in Pompano). I am curious about the “corporate owned” thing and how this may affect these “tacked on” fees also referenced. If I were to learn that I could have received a much better deal elsewhere, I would be disappointed. But I will say that there were some slight differences in professionalism at Ft. Laud over Autohaus, based solely on my limited experience with the latter. Nevertheless, if one would care to elaborate on these descriptions, I’m fully tuned-in.

Overall, I would say that I am more satisfied (at least thus far!) at the dealer level than the corporate level. When I was first told about this car (by the dealer), I tried to gain further information from the corporate (US) offices on this particular car. I was told over and over again, adamantly, that “the car does not and will not exist anytime soon, and that the dealer must be playing a bait-and-switch game with you.” This was in mid February. I made several calls to the corporate office (writing down the names and extensions each time, of course) only to be told the same thing, even by supervisors and managers. Yet, the car was already out, sitting at the dealerships, and was even mentioned on several leading websites at the time. Inexcusable!

It turns out, at least according to the top management people, that there were gaps in the training and enforcement of training absorption and too many were just too lazy and incompetent to care. I found this reprehensible and I was greatly appalled. The dealership gave me some incentives to turn me around, even though most of the pun was on them! (Being accused of foul-play from their own factory source in the US.) I think its quite an outrage that the corporate offices had the predominance of their customer service team (I phoned about 15 of their 20 with management on the line as my witness) woefully unaware of their own product-line, while the information was right in their desk drawers and upon their updated intranet systems. These people were strictly going online and referring to the corporate website (which anybody could do!), which is notorious outdated!

At the service level, especially if one needs corporate cooperation, I hope this is not a sign of things to come. That’s one thing I won’t tolerate, irrespective of this being a “prestigious” automaker. With the German stance on this war (which we support), we’re already left with some emotional misgivings.

Anyhow, we’re taking delivery some time late this week or early next. The car will be driven by my wife. We’re purchasing this outright (cash) and feel we’ve made the right move. This said, I will report back with my impressions; early, midway and late in the process.

PS, If one looks up the Edmunds review page on this series (for 2003), there is a new (5 spoke alloy) wheel being offered which I have seen no where else. (This of course, would include the corporate site which will take months to get around to this.) The car had German plates. Perhaps it is strictly a European offering?
  • newhampshirenewhampshire Member Posts: 7
    All,

I recently decided it was time for new tires because the Eagle RSA tires from the factory were really beginning to make me crazy. Here is the story. I bought the car in Oct 2001 (it is a 2002 C-240 with 6-speed) and drove it all over the northeast for business on highways at high speeds. I assumed that Mercedes included tire rotation etc in the standard servicing... they do not. So unfortunately I never rotated the tires for the first 20K miles or so. Bad move. But then I did start rotating them on a regular 3K mile schedule. The tires still went down hill as far as vibration and noise performance.

So that brings me to yesterday. At 40K miles and my wits end, it was time for new tires. I carefully weighed the options (Michelin Mx4, Goodyear RSA, Bridgestone Tuaranza, Dunlop Sport A2, and Continental Contitouring CH95). I decided on the Continentals because of their "balanced" performance between excellent (if a bit soft) ride combined with awesome noise performance.

The outcome is absolutely amazing. The car drives like it did when new. There is no vibration left, and the noise is down to only wind noise again... one of the aspects that sold me on the car in the beginning.

Now to the next thing. I do have a small problem with the front end. It sounds like something is clunking or slightly loose in the front suspension, I think it is the tie rods to the steering, but I am not sure. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem? I have a servicing appointment next Thursday so I will provide an update then. But any input you could give me if you have had a similar problem I would be interested to hear it.
    Well, on the latter question first, the possibilities are endless, so only a dealer visit and a good look underneath can tell for sure. There have been suspension bushing problems with these cars, and there are new bushings available - wouldn't be surprised if they start there.

On the tire question, your experience is unsurprising to those of us who are really sensitive to vibrations and other tire problems. If you don't rotate early and often [no later than every 5k miles], you might as well kiss off the idea of rotating at all - the tires will take a "set" [it depends on the details of the carcass and belt materials how prone individual tires are to this problem] and will vibrate like mad if you try to run them in the opposite direction. Michelins are less likely to have this problem - the worst are Goodyear and Pirelli.

I have always defaulted to Michelin for this class of car, because you have a better chance of getting good round, straight tires from them that have a reasonable compromise of grip vs wear vs comfort than most others. That said, I must say that I have been much happier [completely satisfied, as a matter of fact] than I expected to be with the OEM Conti CH95s on our '02 C240 sedan. They are butter-smooth, quiet, decent in the rain, and so far at least, wearing well.

In the past ['84 and '86 190s] I had such horrible experiences with Continental that I literally had to throw away the OEM tires and replace them with Michelins within the first 3000 miles [vibrations from persistent flat-spotting - Pirellis are the worst for this]; the Michelins always instantly transformed the car. This time around, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the CH95s - and as you have discovered, they are extraordinarly less expensive than most of the alternatives [half the cost of MXV4s from the discounters].
  • jettaglxvr6jettaglxvr6 Member Posts: 64
    My wife graduated from UVA and we used to travel north on Rt29 through Culpeper every time we would go up to northern VA or DC. I'm a JMU alumnus and the views over Afton mnt and the Blue Ridge mnts are spectacular, especially in the spring and fall. We love VA, where did you move to?

By the way, I have hit the 850 mile mark, only 150 more 'til the fun begins. The car's still great! Good to hear about your driving impressions on the new C while you were overseas. A couple of quick points: in reference to the AC being a bit touchy, I feel that very slight movements in the climate control dial DOES make drastic differences in the overall climate of the cabin; however, I find the cool down occurs very rapidly, which I REALLY like since our temps have hit the upper 80s today and the charcoal interior seems to heat up quickly. And, of course, (you probably know this) MB is finally adding the in dash CD as standard equipment in the '04 C Class. Lastly, even with a few 30 degree mornings last week, the engine never "rattled" at the start. This could be because my car is so new or just because the one you drove had been dogged a bit, but I will let you know if I detect any rattles--in the engine or anywhere else on the car.

That C230/6 speed in Silver is calling your name. . . .of course, if you can wait, see what the '04 model year brings (which should be hitting the lots by Sept) and decide then.
    Sorry to bother everyone else with the personal stuff. Jettaglxvr6, add one more to the UVA crowd who drove Rt. 29 from Charlotesville to DC every weekend for 15 years. What a terrific road for testing out the C-class. I recently moved far away to south Florida and I miss the fun roads like Rt. 29 (Rt. 20 from C-ville to Fredrickburg may be even more fun with the curves and elevations).
  • chasstl1chasstl1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response Saabber. I still wonder if the multifunction display light can be changed. I've asked the dealer here but they couldn't give me an answer. Regarding the seat being uncomfortable, it's hard to believe that its the result of a cheaper seat...this in a 30K car and a MB no less? Unfortunately, my budget won't allow for the C320 and its hard to believe that the seat would be that different. I wonder if anyone else out there has had these problems. At any rate, thanks for the input!
    ...in the seats between the sedans. And I find our C240 superbly comfortable on long trips. Everybody's different...

No, you can't change the color of the display. It is what it is. I'm 58, wear continuous [lineless] trifocals, and have no trouble in this car, but I have no color anomalies in my vision. For someone who does, this may not be the car for you.
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Member Posts: 55
    Saaber - Rts 20 and 29 may have become a little straighter and wider since you and I last rode on them:)

Rich
    UVA Alum
    Class of 81
    Go Hoos!
    We are in Orlando (N) metro area but miss Va a lot (still:). Of course I am still watching the weather channel in February, marveling at the snow storms up north (must turn on that pool heater.)

Obligatory MB content: Does anyone else think the styling cues on the new CLK cabriolet are a harbinger of what is to come on the '04 C class? Saw the first "photo" of the '04 (well, lets say it was a touched up image, perhaps photo is a bit too strong) on a Germany web site.

Also, in the things that make you go "hmmm..." category, why is it the 0-100 km/h times on the German MB web site are not the same as on the US web site for 0-60 the same car? John, you are pretty well in on this for a while have you seen this before in terms of varying 0-60 times from the manufacturer in different countries?

(I find this an interesting pastime to look at the web sites of different car makers in different countries -- interesting to see what's on offer - esp for MB.)
    ...0-60 and 0-62.5 [100 km] are not going to be the same, period. Variations will be small, but they will be there.

Also, final drive specs can vary from one market to another [different differential gearing].

And finally, I've seen plenty of suspect data from auto manufacturers websites - there are lots of typos and errors that go uncorrected for long periods.

And finally, finally, finally - I guess I've never paid much attention to this statistic. Either the car feels quick enough during a test drive, or it doesn't. Nothing in MB's current US lineup would fail to satisfy me from a strictly straight-line acceleration perspective...we're driving what is considered the slowest car in the current MB USA stable, and it is quite lively on the road from my view. [Our C240 is probably the 3rd quickest car we've ever owned - our '98 E320 and '01 Accord V6 were about equal in terms of ability to move out from rest; the allegedly "sluggish" C240 is right behind them, and perfectly acceptable to me.] I realize that this observation is tangential to your question, but I've seen our car dissed a lot by the younger crowd that hangs out at MBWorld...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    "dissed"!!! You really have been hanging out with the younger crowd. Next thing I know you'll be addressing the rest of as "Yo homey"
    ...I was, among other things, an English major...but one tries to roll with the punches...
    It's good to see a couple Hoos on the MB message boards. Do you guys happen to make it back up here for any of the football games? My wife and I have been season ticket holders for the past 9 years and it promises to be a pretty special '03 season. Groh has done wonders with this program; as did Welsh back in the '80s and early '90s.

But enough about the Cavs, my C230 turned over the 1K milestone this past weekend. I have got to tell you, taking first, second and most of third gear up to the 5500 rpm, it just a flat out blast! This car really feels faster than 7.6 from 0-60mph. Making passes and hitting the on ramps onto the interstate in third gear are highly entertaining. I also love the way this car tracks, as well as how "flat" it stays in the curves. My Jetta had so much body lean in the turns that you really had to ease off the throttle to stay in control. Not to mention, the amount of torque steer in the Jetta vs. the rear wheel drive C230 was overwhelming. You get a slight bit of oversteer with the MB, but the trade off is WELL worth it. This car is so entertaining to drive and I still have yet to have any problems to report. I'm LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!
  • wc68wc68 Member Posts: 23
    I got my car last Wed. It is a blast to drive, no problems so far other than needed my weatherstriping needs to be changed out on both back doors. You should check yours out seems to be common to this car. Still need a little time to get used to it but looking forward driving it. Enjoy your car. I just bought the extended warranty today, my dealership tried to charge me $2,700 I saved $1,000 by getting through Lisa.
    Who is Lisa? (Apologies if I missed this.)

I take it one can buy an extended warranty from someone other than the dealer? Is this direct through MB or some other party?

(Sorry for the 20 questions; an extended warranty is in the back of my mind for next MB; you know, can't decide whether to put the 2K in the bank to draw interest etc or put it on the car to avoid Large Repair Bills (LRBs) with an MB with some mileage....)

Sorry one more thing can you buy an extended warranty after you purchase the car? If so, for how long?

thanks...rich
    Saw this at:

http://satradio.weblogger.com/

Mercedes-Benz USA Announces Vehicle Lineup for SIRIUS; SIRIUS Satellite Radio Systems On Most Mercedes-Benz Vehicles
    Wednesday April 16, 4:59 pm ET

MONTVALE, N.J., and NEW YORK, April 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) and SIRIUS (Nasdaq: SIRI - News), the premier satellite radio broadcaster, today announced that Mercedes-Benz USA will offer its new car buyers an integrated SIRIUS system on most 2004 Mercedes-Benz lines.
    Willy,
    Now how exactly could you wait 5 days to inform us that you finally got your car??!!:) Okay, I'll forgive you. . .the excitement is a bit overwhelming at first. . .and you've obviously got your Benz running circles in your head. . .and it did take a LONG time for your car to arrive. . .

But, seriously, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm tellin' you, the car just gets better and better each time you drive it. Keep me informed of your driving impressions as you are getting acquainted with your new Benz.

How did you know that something was wrong with your weather striping? I have never heard any wind noise from back there; nor have I noticed any moisture on the inside (and I have washed it 4 times already). Are you saying that the weather striping was pealing off or was it damaged or loose?

Rich,
    You can get the warranty anytime within your first year of purchase. And, yes, Lisa is someone in California that can get you the same MB extended warranty for a grand less than your dealer can. And, yes, you can get a warranty from any certified MB dealer. Willy can forward her phone number and/or email address to you. I am choosing, for now, to save the money now and if a major problem were to surface after the 50K warranty expires, I would either pay MB to fix it or trade it in for an E Class!:)

Later,
    Tony
    ...is Lisa Lehrbaum, and she is F&I at the MB dealer in Chico, CA [ Courtesy Motors ].

Go to the MBUSA website, and get the dealer contact info. There is also a toll-free number 800-655-3535.

The quote for a 7/100 on our C240 is $1690, a substantially lower number than any local dealer has been willing to talk about. And this still gives Courtesy a reasonable markup on the cost.

I plan to give our selling dealer a chance to match this number - I expect they will decline.
    Well it looks like they answered your questions regarding extended warranties. You need to purchase it within the first year of purchase. You can by from any authorized benz dealer. If you plan on keeping your car longer than 4 years I would recommend the extended warranty. Lisa is a great person to work with. Took care of all the paperwork through fax. The price might be going up soon. I also paid $1,690 my dealer wanted $2,700 I didn't want to negotiate with them so I just declined and went with Lisa. Tony I was on vacation last week away from a computer or I would have told you the day I got it. The weatherstripping on the two back doors when closed where bunched up, dealer ordered new ones for me under warranty they agreed that was not the way it should be. Still getting used to driving the car, will let you know my impressions after the break in period. How fast have you gone so far? I hit about 85 mph and didn't even notice, this car is faster than I thought it would be. By the way I even got a better price than anticipated $1,710 off MSRP which is pretty close to cost. Did not have to pay prep fee but did pay $200 advertising fee which is on the factory invoice!!! Enjoy your car everybody, I know I will!!!
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    how does RWD with traction and stability control perform in serious snow-packed road conditions? This is WITH good dedicated winter tires on, like Blizzaks. And I'm talking about totally snow packed - not a little slush on a city street, and not dead-flat either, but hilly terrain.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    I have not been any faster than about 80mph. It is incredibly smooth and unexpectedly VERY quiet for a 4 cycl.

What warranty did you buy? I noticed there were three different ones in the brochure, 12, 24, or 36 months and up to 100,000 accrued miles.

Tony
    I bought the 3year/100,000 mile one. I just thought it would be a good idea because I plan to keep it at least seven years! Man this car has way more power than I expected. Still trying to figure out how to use the climate control unit, kind of confusing? Any problems yet? My two back doors don't seem to close very well! I will have them checked out when I get my weatherstriping changed.
    I live in New Hampshire and routinely travel on business by car to Boston, Manhattan, Philadelphia. In essence that made this past year challenging, but I have good news for you.

I have a 2002 C-240 6-speed manual and I think it is a dream in the snow. I have driven it on highway hardpack at speed (40-55mph) for hundreds of miles (not by choice!). I have also driven in 4 inch deep fresh snow and all sorts of slushy/half plowed conditions. I am a skier who likes to go on fresh snow days. My opinion is that this car is excellent in the snow and the traction control and ABS work great. All my snow driving was done on Goodyear Eagle RSA which are not great snow tires. I would imagine that awesome snow tires such as the Blizzaks would be unbeatable in the snow.

Remember that the only tangible advantage a 4-wheel drive car has is starting off from stopped and going up hill. The one thing I can say is that a bad driver with too much confidence or a lack of experience will always screw up. The over-confidence is why it is a well known sight to see SUVs off the side of the roads and highways as the cars just roll on by slow and steady.

I have put up other posts on this board about my travels (and subsequent amazement) with this cars performance in snow. You might want to search for them. I am especially impressed with the ESP's (traction and spin control) performance at higher speeds (25-55mph)... there have been times when the rear gets a little loose and it brings it right back in. That is the typical situation that leads a driver to over compensate and then spin like a top down the snow covered highway.

Remember that there are also 4-matic versions of the c-class available now. I would have considered one if it was available when I purchased my car, but I am sure I would have decided against it because you could not get the 6-speed manual which to me was a must have.
    I returned from my service appointment today for my front suspension "klunking". The culprit was worn sway bar links, and they have been replaced and the car is back to what it was like when new. If anyone hears a similar noise, just take it in and tell them to take a look at the sway bar... they replaced the links under warrantee and even if they wouldn't have the total cost would have been $100 (parts and labor).

I currently have 40K miles on the car (in only 18 months!) and the sway bar links, and some worn tires are the only items that have worn out so far. Actually the only other problem was a defect in the drivers side front door gasket which was incorrectly installed from the factory and was correct in the first month of ownership.

So you can consider this the long term test drive chiming in... no significant problems or defects after over 40K miles.

By the way...

Am I the only person who is slightly pissed off by the 10,000 mile computer guide service program? My problem with this program is that it really doesn't allow for a person to want to service their car more often, but still get the 10,000 mile interval services for free. For instance. If you service your car at 5K miles (for a fee because it is not covered), the sensor will detect the new oil and filter and will not count down additional miles until that oil starts to get dirty... so when 10,000 miles rolls around and you want free service they won't give it to you because the counter says you have 5K or so miles to go. The only way around this is if you put less than 10K of miles per year on the car, because it is in the guidelines from mercedes to service the car at least once per year.

Is anyone servicing more often than every 10K miles? How have you worked out the arrangement with your dealer? My dealer was clueless and didn't understand why I could possible want to service my car more often than every 10K miles.... I am sure this will be the story until I start paying cash for servicing after 50K miles... then I bet it would be a good idea to service every 3000 miles! HA!
    There are actually new bushings available - I presume that's what they used on your car. There is a known problem with the bushings, and there have been a lot of failures well short of the miles you have.

On the oil change question: I had ours changed at 2500 miles, with the intent to use the FSS as the next interval [in our case, that will be at about 11000]. The new oil extended the FSS only marginally - less than 1000 miles. Before the change, it was reading about 7000 miles to service; after, it was about 7800. Now, at 3800, it is showing about 6900 because of more highway than city driving lately.

Be aware that in Europe, these extended service intervals have been pretty routine for years, on lots of brands other than MB. They don't understand the American habit of dumping the oil months and thousands of miles before it is really necessary.

I've been saying since Day1 of this offer to pay for maintenance that there was not a lot of real dollar value in the program - many, many people [including me] won't drive enough in the 4 years to get anything like 5 services out of MBUSA on their nickel. Doesn't bother me - anything is a bonus. I plan one more "mid-interval" change on the next cycle [probably 16k miles or so in my case], and then will let the FSS call the shots.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I recently test drove a C320 coupe. The car had the optional panoramic sunroof, auto transmission, leather interior, and CD changer. I was surprised to see a $600+ surcharge for metallic paint.
    I have mixed feelings about the car. The advertised price was $ 4000 off the sticker, which makes it rather attractive. The engine is fairly powerful for this small car and gives it good acceleration. However, the car's interior looks cheap, much cheaper than say Infiniti I35, which carries about the same price tag. I noticed that the front seat headrests were rubbing on the sunvisors when the seats were tilted forward to access the back seat.

Are they offering good deals on this car in general? Sedans with the same engine are much more. Looks like maybe buying the base car with no options would be a good deal for about $ 25 K (assuming about 3K discount off the MSRP).

Are there any major problems/issues with this car that I should be aware of? Any input is appreciated.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Maybe you have to go for the 320 sedan to get the interior you really want ... to me, it has the same look, feel and quality as 430/500 MLs, Es &etc. (also, compare Cs with full leather instead of leather inserts). In the sedan models, the 320's interior has just a few subtle differences that contribute to a finer result over the 240's interior.

I think the Lexus layout is aimed at younger drivers; maybe the coupe is too, compared to the sedan. I would think $4k off the cheaper coupe would be good; we bargained for $3.5k off on the 320 sedan in '02 and thought we worked a pretty good deal at that time.

After our experiences with the 320 engine, and knowing the least expensive C-coupe has the same underlying structures and electronics, I'd have to agree that the base price model seems like a great value: I'd get white anyway and that saves $600 (and, enjoys a higher resale down the road).

As far as the engine goes, the 320 powertrain has achieved bullet-proof status--at least in my view. It has been the major powerplant for MLs from the beginning, up to the latest midyear change to the 3.7L version in the ML350 (compared to the 1K pound heavier 320-equiped ML vehicle that still can tow 5K pounds, the 320 in a C is an opulence). The 320 still powers most Es, including the latest which probably is the finest auto on the road today with $3B spent on its making--it's just a little heavier than the C-class, but not by much. I've seen some old style S320's too (apparently were brought in by purchasers outside the US).
  • beejay9beejay9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Does anyone know of a MB dealer that sells and installs the MB cellular phone aftermarket for a discounted price? Also, I would greatly appreciate if current owners of the MB cellular phone would share there experience as far as quality of use. Thanks.
    Can anybody give me a breakdown of gas mileage for the C320 with and without the A/C running? Also city/highway (70 mph)?

I am getting around 16 city/23 highway with the A/C running. When I turned the A/C off, it seemed that the numbers jumped about 3 mpg. Is that about right?
    My C320 gets 25.7 mpg overall (mixture city and freeway). Around town it averages about 19 mpg and on the highway and 31 mpg at about 65 mph. Don't know about with or without A/C because I leave it on automatic constantly.
  • lanche72lanche72 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 01 c320 and have noticed a ticking noise (VERY RAPID) coming from the engine. It does not happen all the time to I don't think that is something wrong in the engine but don't really know. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you get rid of it.
    I have 16k and my wife never drives it hard.

Thanks Matt
    Could be the purge valve. There's a tech bulletin on replacing the purge valve mounting bracket for the noise.
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    I agree with mleskovar . Sounds like a classic symptom of the fuel purge valve. I heard the same noise intermittently especially during very quiet times of the day with the radio off. The noise went away once the purge valve was retrofitted almost two years ago.
    Hi - does anyone know either:

1) the last date by which one can order a 2003 MB
    2) whether the 6 speed will be available in 2004 C320?

thanks...rich
    Probably any that arrive in the US after about the end of July will be '04s
  • goodwingoodwin Member Posts: 24
    my friend has a 2002 mercedes c240 and under the drivers side floor mat there seems to be a wet spot all the time that never dries up. any help on this would be great.

thanks.
    1. Take it to the dealer for warranty service 2. Is it water or oil/brakefluid? 3. Is the A/C venting the water under the car?
  • iblostboyiblostboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys, i'm a new owner of a 2003 C320 great car but i have two quick questions - How do you turn on the FOG LIGHTS! - and when you guys drive at night do you turn the head lights on by switching the head light switch to "auto" or do you use manual.
    Well, in the case of the foglights, you turn the switch to the headlight "on" position, and pull it out one click to turn on the front fogs, and two clicks to turn on both the front and rear fogs.

You can also use the fogs with the switch in the parking light position [one to the right of "Auto"] - same thing as noted above.
    Before DTRLs, I often used the fogs in combination with the parking lights only as highway running lights [we've owned MBs since 1968; standard fogs have been there for most of the past 25 years]. MB fogs have never had the mis-aimed, overly bright characteristics that make them so annoying on many SUVs and too many older BMWs. They've always had a sharp cutoff at knee-level that helps a lot where lights are needed, but do not generally shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers as long as they are aimed properly.

As for the "Auto" switch, in 8 months of ownership I've been back and forth - if you do a lot of driving in marginal light conditions, it might be useful, and I like to use it occasionally just to make sure it works, but it's not a big deal. [I have programmed the DTRL feature to be "on", so we are showing some light forward whenever the engine is running, though the DTRLs of course are too dim to do any serious lighting to see where you're going.]
  • valonvalon Member Posts: 22
    i just wanted to update everyone with my new mb c230 sedan so far i hit 3500 miles and car is running great no problems BUT i do have a minor problem wit my lights (xenon) my right one is not working properly sometimes i have to switch them on/off to work, when the first time happened i went to diler but they told me that this is not a problem happens to all xenon lights and they cant do anything about that, same thing happen again this past weekend and i scheduled a service for today and got the loner (ML 320). Like to know if anyone else has the same problem or its just me and my luck.
      thanks all
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Hi everyone,
     We have a "98 E320 wagon which we love and it still has 1 1/2 years of starmark warranty left on it. However, the C230 sports coupe is really nice and gets better mileage too. We could pretty much sell the E wagon and buy the C coupe as an even swap. I'm not sure the hatchback is big enough for us though. They always seem to have lots of room at the dealership, but we have a baby and a dog, so there would be a car seat, stroller, etc. Has anyone with a family used the C230 sports coupe and has it been big enough?
     The dealer offered us a pretty good price. It's an "03, black, C7 and C5, heated seats, and CD changer for 26,665. I would imagine that since this was his starting offer, he would probably go a little lower even. I calculated MSRP at 30,220 and Invoice at 28,157.
     If it were large enough to work for us, we'd end up with a much newer, but smaller car without spending anything. Any idea which would be worth more 4-5 years down the line, the "98 E320 wagon or a "03 C sports coupe? I"m guessing the wagon has pretty much done it's depreciating and so would probably be worth more even in 5 years.
     Sorry for all the rambling but I'm having a tough time deciding on this and would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.
    According to Edmunds, the dealer would give you less than $20K on the wagon in our area, so there's an additional $6k to apply to a new MB, whatever model you like: that sounds good. And, next year's wagon will have the new E-Class frame: that might effect the value of older wagons.
    Hello all, board seems to be a bit moribund lately, hm, everyone must be out driving their cars. Perhaps can liven up the discussion:

I've been out on travel last two weeks, but have come back to (finally) test drive the new C.

Impressions follow...

Cars driven were an '03 C230K sedan, 6 speed manual, in black/charcoal interior, and a C320, Silver, auto, with sports "package". Car had no options (at all) on it. The day was sunny and hot (89F); test drive was taken just before lunch.

The comparisons below are with our own '99 C280 auto, with 44K miles...

My impression of acceleration between the manual C230 and auto C320 was very close. In relative terms, I found the delay in kickdown and poor throttle response in the C320 was not compensated by the increased torque of the larger engine. I'm sorry, but it just did not (to me) feel especially quicker than my current C280. Indeed, it had that exact same slightly annoying habit, when overtaking slower traffic, of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until gear/throttle/torque took off and there was enough oomph to get past. Honestly, even given it was a hot day and therefore power might be considered to be off there just was not the "grunt" I was expecting. In particular the "touch shift" was very dissapointing; there did not seem to be any real point to me in providing this feature as all it did was hold gear (much like the J-gate in our current C).

Quite the opposite was true with the manual C230K. With the 6 speed, I was having a lot more fun, it seemed to me the throttle and gear combinations were much easier to match road speed and acceleration than with the autobox.

On to handling, braking and roadholding, the C230K seemed to be much "lighter" on its feet, braking on both was outstanding, but I detected more understeer with the V-6 on a long sweeping right hander (perhaps, indeed the weight difference in the V6 vs the S-4.)

I have to say the ride quality on both of these sport models was superb, I did not detect any real harshness from the (225/45?) 17" wheels and tyres now fitted vs. my car's 15" rubber.

(At the end of the test drive, I ended up actually liking the appearance of the seven spoke wheels; perhaps they are growing on me.)

Interior of C320 was much posher than stripper C230K, and we (well, The Boss) really liked the power sunshade in the rear, that looked Very Useful here in Fla.

Came away extremely impressed by 6 speed C230K, could not (for me) see the difference in price being worth going for the C320 frankly, but it is a VERY NICE car. Would have enjoyed driving a C320 6 speed but, it not being a common car, was not available on the lot. Actually I am not certain it would (in practical, day to day terms) really be "that" much quicker than the I-4 engine, and might not be quite as agile...

So, am leaning towards a Brilliant Silver C230K, C2, C4, Bose, CD Changer, Heated Seats. Anyone car to comment on this spec? Am curious about the HID lights, if reputation is correct folks swear by them, am just wondering if they are worth the 750 list price.

I did not find out what '04 plans are, my salesman was swamped, it being a Sat morning etc. Despite looking I've not seen anything on the net with any detailed info, however I've compiled my own '04 "list" below from some recent searches.

Good Luck all, enjoy your cars!

Rich

Rich's '04 Change List
    ======================

New instrument cluster
    Console redesigned for the new Command System
    Improved seats
    Wheel pressure monitoring
    New wipers
    Rainsensor which closes the sunroof automatically
    Installation of the Universal Handy Interface (Phone)
    Slightly restyled bumpers
    Sirius Sat Radio
    Single-slot CD as standard
    Different wheels available
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Has anything on that 04' change list been actually verified?

M
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Rich,

Just curious, what's your reason for getting a new MB - is your '99 worn out, or are you tiring of it? Just curious as I have a 2000 C230 and am planning to keep it at least through its 8-year extended warranty & am wondering about your longer-term experience.

As far as the new 230s and 320s go, I think they look really sharp. My only recent experience has been with a C240 as a loaner car last year. It was good as a sedan, but since my C230 has the Kompressor and sport option package it was a more docile animal. I was glad to get my car back after service, although if I had to drive a C240, I could make the adjustment.

Glad to see the board come back to life.

- Paul
    Merc1 - Some verified, some wish list:)

Here's the sources:

Instrument cluster/Console/Seats - Translated from German from site:
    o http://www.jes-mercedes.de/indexie.htm

Wheel pressure control/wipers/rain sensing sunroof - comment from forum
    o http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3- 7423&highlight=2004

Installation of the Universal Handy Interface (Phone
    o http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/030313/051939.html

Bumpers
    o http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23282.htm

Sirius Sat Radio
    o http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030416/nyw101_1.html

The in-dash CD and wheels are a "wish"; although I did rent a C180K in the UK in Feb that had both an in-dash CD radio and CD changer in the glovebox...
This discussion has been closed.