Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...recommend this car to anyone who really wants a nearly ideal touring car. We too have been fortunate so far in that we have had a very enjoyable ownership experience - again, with a car that has only the C2 Package and automatic.

But the larger picture is undeniable: D-B [and VW and BMW] has a lot of work to do to get within shouting distance of the statistical probability of a trouble-free life compared with most of the Japanese.

Having owned 14 MBs, 4 BMWs, 4 VW/Audis, 10 Toyotas, 4 Hondas [and many other one-of-a-kinds] in the past 42 years, I can say that the data doesn't lie....but the data didn't keep me from buying our latest MB, either.
  • sweetc230sweetc230 Member Posts: 33
    I'd say you've owned a FEW more cars than I have (I've only been buying cars since I got out of college in '96)!!:) And you are right, I can't argue the reliability issues, I just hope/think that MB has worked out most of the problems with the C-Class by now. I read MANY posts of owners who have had lots of issues with their '01 C's, but not many after the early production models. It seems to me to be a mistake to buy ANY of the first year (read totally new) BMWs or MBs (i.e. 5 series, 7 series, new E Class, etc.). But my problem with CR's report is that it seems to me that MB has corrected a lot of it's problems with the C & even with the '04 E's (HVAC systems, etc.). I just don't hear the first year woes that I was reading about 2 and 3 years ago. It is still NO EXCUSE that MB & BMW don't get most of these issues resolved before the cars hit the market. We're not hearing any real issues with the TOTALLY new G35; except for subjective negatives, not reliability issues.

But like you said, nothing from CR is going to stop me from buying European. . .ITS ALL ABOUT THE DRIVIN' EXPERIENCE!!
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Last week on Rte. 495 a rock hit my '00 C230 windshield, and within a day spread from one inch to over ten inches. There was an issue bewteen the dealer-recommended glass company and my insurance company in regards to covering an OEM (actual MB) windshield.

I was told the main difference is not the quality of the glass (as all windshields have to meet DOT standards) but the decal that bears the facsimile of Mr. Daimler's signature.

After a few phone calls insisting on the OEM glass, the insurance comapny agreed to cover the additional $70.00 difference. It's not over 'till it's over though, and replacement is scheduled for next Tuesday 3/30.

Hope this helps for your future reference. Will let you know how it turns out.
      - P.
    $70 for the decal? Or is there more to it than that?

Do you have the rain-sensing wipers? If so, installation needs to be very careful to keep the sensors functioning properly. If not, never mind...
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    Are the facelifted C-class sedans available now on ED US-spec cars? Or do they become available only when they're sold in the US? Thanks.
    ...EU delivery was still focused on the '04s. However, since production has already begun on the new Cs, I think that if you actually placed an EUD order now, with the usual 6-10 week lead time, it would almost have to be the new car that would be the product that actually gets delivered. Only a dealer, I think, would know for sure, though some of them can be remarkably clueless at transition times. Have you called MBUSA to ask? [Nothing like the direct approach...]
  • chawehchaweh Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I bought my 2001 MB C240 sedan last June 2003. It is approaching 48,000 miles and will be out of warranty soon. I would like to know if it is worth it to get an extended warranty. I am concerned because when I took it for Service B this week, the technician found a few problems : electrical fault, trans connector leaking transmission oil, balancer worn-out, belt tensioner, etc. which they fixed because the car is still under warranty. Would someone recommend a company that offers extended warranty ? I know that you can only buy it from MB dealers if the car is within 1 year of purchase. I did some research and found 2 companies in the internet : Warrantydirect.com and 1SourceAutoWarranty.com. Has anyone had experience buying from the internet ? Thanks so much in advance.
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    jrct9454,
    Good suggestion. Per the MBUSA phone rep, it would be available with my timeframe of a late May or June ED.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    chahweh - be sure to stop by the Finance, Warranty & Insurance board - there has been lots of conversation about both of those companies. :)

You could also find discussions on them by using the Keyword search on the left side of the page.
  • marcegmarceg Member Posts: 8
    A few years ago my windshield was cracked by a rock and needed to be replaced. I requested an OEM windshield which my insurance company covered. However, after the windshield was installed I noticed it didn't have the "product" sticker - but it was infact an MB windshield. Anyway, I was able to purchase a sticker over the Internet and apply it myself - stayed in place and looked 100% original. I just did a quick search on eBay and noticed someone is selling these stickers for about $1 each.
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    John,

Thanks for that info, however I don't have the rain sensing wiper option. Would like to have it, but now I'm glad it's not a factor in the repair.

The extra $70, is for the OEM windshield ($300 cost) over the aftermaket one ($212.50 cost). I was told both are similar, but the OEM has the "A Mercedes-Benz Product" windshield sticker. There may be other differences as well, but I'm told the glass composition is basically the same.

Can't imagine replacing with a non-MB windshield that did not have the sticker.

- P.
  • neskierneskier Member Posts: 6
    So, my annual ~$1000 trip to Mercedes Benz service is complete. Here are the details:

C-240 B Service: $446

Front Sway Bar Links: $200 (did not solve sounds coming from front suspension this time)

Diagnose (not fix, fix = $577) Driver window failure: $200

Brake fluid drain / replacement: $150

I am sure I am not the only Mercedes owner who is absolutely fed up with the ridiculous cost of servicing these vehicles. The crazy thing is that the guys at the dealer just seem to think we should take it. For instance, I completely freaked over 2 specific items on my bill..

$20 for "shop materials", this was explained to be rags, solvents, etc. I couldn't believe that wasn't included in the $92 per hour labor charge.

$44 for EACH wiper blade insert. Granted the wipre blades are nice, but that has to be the most expensive wiper blades on the planet.

I am just getting sick of paying $400 for basically an oil change, fluid fill and blade change. To me it seems like it should cost about $100 for labor (MAX), $40 for 8 liters of Mobil 1, $20 for oil filter, and $20 for wiper blade inserts.... for a grand total of $180! Which still seems ridiculous. I doubt I will ever take my Mercedes to the dealer again.

In that effort, does anyone know where or how to get the service manuals?

For all you out there who are considering buying a Mercedes, I got a letter from American Service Center in Arlington, VA stating the following prices for C-class vehicles:

2004 C-230 Coupe w sunroof / cd changer for $25,550. ($4030 off sticker)

2004 C-240 wagon w sunroof / cd changer / heated seats for $31,474. ($4896 off sticker).

I suggest you use the $4000 saved to prepare for the service bills that come after the free services are up.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I've been invited to the C-Spot drive and am going to do it next Sunday (4/4/04). I'm excited and will definitely post my impressions.

I have a friend who says they might bring an '05 along to give us a preview. He says there is basically a facelift (front and rear) as well as some new interior components. A new dashboard (with a real sized tach!). We shall see.

I hope they have a C230K with 6 speed there for me to drive:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    I attended the C-Spot drive party at the Meadowlands racetrack last Sunday. I had a great time. They did show the 2005 model which indeed has a new gauge cluster and a revised grille and bumpers.

They will have all variations of the C-class available, but none with manual transmissions. Be sure to go on the C32 Hot Lap.
    Once the prepaid services no longer apply, anything out of warranty should go to the best local independent shop you can find. Sounds like it's time to start looking around.

And all readers be warned: word is already out that it is highly likely that the "free" service will go away starting with the '05 model year. This source has it that the basic warranty will go to 5 yrs/ 60,000 miles, but in exchange the prepaid service goes away. I find this a credible idea, because they are getting killed right now by the appreciation of the Euro, but market conditions here make it very hard to increase prices significantly. One way to increase profit margins is to eliminate the free service on new cars.

For low mileage drivers like me, the "free" preventative maintenance during the warranty period was never going to add up to more than $800 or so; for someone who actually drove 50k miles in 4 years, the value could have easily been twice that. In any case, this kind of "perk" has come and gone in the past, and looks like it is about to do so again.

And before any misunderstandings start, no, this does not mean that they are reneging on the service offer to every owner who has bought a new car during the past x years - just that the '05s will be sold without the free service as part of the deal. AND...I have to emphasize...this is still a rumor so far and not confirmed.

Finally, it is a sad fact of life that ALL of the German makes are relatively expensive to maintain - to keep costs anywhere near tolerable, you pretty much have to abandon the dealer once the warranty is no longer an issue, and look around for good sources outside the dealer network. If you need recommendations, this is another reason to join MBCA - they are a good source for that kind of info.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Yes, "A" and "B" services from the dealer are too expensive. Especially when you consider how easy it is to "check the fluids" on a modern car. Having just DIY an "A" service the costs are: $45 for the oil (it takes 8.5 quarts), $7.27 for a filter, and $5 for the filter removal tool. The parts bought online are usually the same as those you buy from the dealer....$16.28 for wiper blade refills, $39.26 (vs. $49.84 at MB)for the air filters. If you are mechanically challenged or just don't want to be bothered with DIY follow jrct9454's advice and find a good independent. I just ordered a spark plug wire removal tool for $27 to change my own plugs....dealers have quoted $500 to change 12 plugs!!! Don't look for MB costs to go down. They have more business than they can handle at their current rates....why would they lower them?
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    It comes with an exterior and interior upgrades. I
    wonder if an in-dash CD player will be standard
    vice the stone-age cassette player. A new 6 speed
    manual from the SLK is available but unfortunately
    the new 3.5L V-6 is not. MB should have dropped the
    C240, lowered the price of the C320 and added
    the C350 for 2005. That would have gave them a year
    jump on BMW before they upgrade their 3 series
    engines.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I was thinking the same thing. A 268hp C350 in place of the C320 would be awesome, the old 3-valve 3.2 and 2.6L V6s are on their way out altogether. There is talk of a 3.0L version of the this new V6. A 225hp C300 would be a nice replacement for the C240. Lets see the current C-Class has three more model years to go 05', 06' and 07'....maybe it will get the new engines once the 3.0L version is announced.

M
    is Ed Hellwig's review of the revised C-Class. Check it out via the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    One advantage of the cassette player is that it allows yo to use an adapter to play a portable MP3 player.
    An AUX input jack would be much better, but it's better than having no options if you had a CD player only.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    I think the 240 exists because of displacement requirements in the Euro market. And, I don't see MB's prices coming down: they seem to be going up because of the change in the exchange rates. Rather than lowering the price of a 320, I think they'd just make it better to help justify higher prices.

If MB is putting an AMG-tuned V8 into the sedan, it makes sense the SLK's 3.5L will be there too before long, because that is MB's best V6 now: more power and better fuel economy too.

I'd expect to see the new 3.5 across MB's entire line--not just in the C-Class--the E-Class tooh, replacing the next ML's 3.7L "350" and maybe there would also be 3.5L S-Class and SL models too.

Since the V6s are components of the V8, I'd guess there will be a next generation V8 based on this latest technology, e.g., ~4.6L
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If your taillights are burning out frequently, check with your service advisor. I'm not sure if there is a TSB about this, but out dealer replaced a portion of the wiring harness on my wife's 2002 C240. That fixed the problem. They did this without any prompting from us.
    I just returned from the C-Spot Drive event in Rye, NY. It was raining out this AM, so the Hot Laps in the C32 AMG were loads of fun!

The course was really tight and I felt it was hard to get any sort of real feel for the C-Class cars. I was bummed that no Manual tranny Cs were available for driving, but oh well.

The steering felt nice and heavily weighted, pretty direct.

The '05 C230K Sedan is a really pretty car. The sculpted side skirts and 5 spoke wheels really give the car an aggressive look. I really like the new interior. The dash materials are very high quality, and the seats seem to be old school MB rock hard. The new center stack looks great too.

They gave you a $1500 credit (above and beyond your best deal) if you buy or lease a C230K Sport Sedan within 90 days that is fully transferrable. I'm not sure whether or not you can use it outside the NY, NJ, CT area, but it is worth a shot (I'll have to read the legalese later). If anybody out there wants it, drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I too went to the C-Spot "Party" in Rye, NY today. While it was a fine opportunity to become aware of the C-Class line, I was very dissappointed in the way that the drives were structured. The only course that you could drive yourself was very short (perhaps ½ mile total) and didn't have a straightaway sufficiently long to test acceleration. I don't believe that I exceeded about 35 mph anywhere on the course.

I've participated in a couple of other similar side-by-side comparison test drive events previously. They were of higher line models from Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln and Lexus. Both were at least twice as long as today's event and allowed you to get a much better feel of the vehicles.

After all was said and done, I came away from the C-Spot "Party" much less impressed with the C-Class than I had hoped to be. My 2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe with Navigation is a much more satisfying driving experience. I could have purchased a couple of identical Accords for about the same price as one similarly equipped C-Class. That's only after being "optioned" to death to equip the Mercedes the same way that Honda builds them as a package.
  • lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    A car was making a right turn but lost control and jumped over the island and hit my car which on the other side of the road. The demage is on the left side, on two doors. My wife and my young son were in it. They were taken to the ER. My questions:
    1. Except the body demage to the car, is there any inside problem for the car?
    2. What should I be aware of when I deal with the insurnace?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
    Hope your family is OK. Did the side impact air bags deploy? Have MB do the damage estimate and go from there.
    ...if the airbags deployed, the price goes up. Do make sure the estimates come from a body shop recommended by, or attached to, an authorized dealer. Especially when dealing with someone else's insurance, there can be fights over "diminished value" - that is, the reduced resale value of your car, even when repaired, vs. before the accident. This is an issue that demands you play hardball with the insurance company. [Ask your own insurance people, and/or the used car manager of your dealer, about the concept of "dimished value"].

Otherwise your concerns should be focused on your family - since there were injuries, insurance companies have a way of wanting to settle quickly. Take your time and be sure to get some professional advice about fair compensation.
  • morganmorgan Member Posts: 1
    hi nyccarguy,
    I would love to get a hold of that credit. how do i get your email address. its private on the profile. thanks
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    come down to my final choices..... I'm purchasing a vehilce at the end of this month and plan to lease it for 36 to 48 months... I've narrowd it down to either the new 04 TL or the MB C class... I like both cars alot... and actually slightly like the TL over the C mainly because the interior on the TL is better... yet I still can't shake the fact that well plain and simple a mercedes is a mercedes... and Acura while a nice brand is still a Honda... well I'm now down to these two and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to get either of these cars with a stick shift (grant you this past weekend was the first time I've ever driven a stick and I only stalled it twice... I was driving my buddies RX7) so I don't know.... any advice would really be appriciated...
  • shilohshootershilohshooter Member Posts: 2
    You're going to lease the car for 3-4 years, which means you'll be driving it for that long.

So, if you pick the TL, and you're behind the wheel of your Acura, are you going to think "I could have gotten a C-Class" every time you see a MB on the road during the next 36-48 months?

If you pick the C-Class, and you're behind the wheel of your Mercedes, are you going to think "I could have gotten a TL" every time you see an Acura on the road during the next 36-48 months?

Go with the car that's more likely to give you peace of mind.

Of course, in 3-4 years your lease will be up, and you can try the other one if you decide you made the wrong decision this time around.

And you can't really go wrong with either car.

Disclaimer: I have a C-Class as my daily driver, and I've never regretted buying it. I've never owned an Acura, so I can't judge.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Have you guys read this?

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/aboutus/news/newsFrame2004.jsp

The 2005 sport models get the outgoing C32's body kit and "regular" models get the 2004 car's "Sport" look for 2005. Interesting. Did anyone who attended the C-Spot events see the 2005 Sport models of the C230 or C320 Sedans?

M
    they had an '05 C230 on display. The car looks fabulous!

morgan: I'll have to figure out how to make my email public!

nyccarguy - click on "Town Hall Profile" on the upper left side of this page - just below where it says "Hello, nyccarguy!" You'll see where you can change it.
    My email is live now!

• caparranascaparranas Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a used (2003?)MB 230K sedan in the next 3-4 months. As a regular e-bay user, I checked what they had and found out that their "Buy it now" prices are usually $3,000-4,000 lower than the same used car at a MB dealer. I was wondering if anybody out there has purchased a car (not necessarily a MB) from ebay and how the whole experience was. My first instinct is to go to a regular MB dealer where they have a reputation to maintain. But then I realized that most of the vehicle auctions on ebay are put up by the same dealers that have found in the internet a new way to offer their cars to a larger audience. Most of these cars are lease returns with very low miles and in excellent condition.

Checking the seller's background on ebay you can see that, for the most part, the transactions are flawless but I still feel a little weird about bidding close to $30K.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or advise in this sense. Thank you much in advance.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I've read one guy refer to it as ePray. My feeling is that it is a function of how much you think that Carfax is comprehensive. I have heard it said that all accidents don't find there way to Carfax. Carfax pretty much covers everything that the warranty doesn't. My opinion is that with a late model car under factory warranty, plus a clean Carfax, clear title (make sure that the car wasn't a manfacturer's buyback) plus a good seller reputation the risk is reasonable. I would also have the car inspected before bidding. I saw actual Mercedes dealers offering reasonable deals on cars on Ebay. These are probably the best bets. There are definitely scam artists out there but they are usually fairly easy to spot. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Forget where I saw the article (thinking it was in one of the auto mags), but saw one on eBay in which they discussed how the majority of sales on eBay Motors are actually by car dealers. Heck, even BMW is moving parts of its CPO program onto eBay in near future.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I'm trying to decide between the TL and the C 230 sedan, yet I also plan to get the windows tinted after I purchase it. as I understand the winsheild has rain sensing wipers... if I get them tinted will it affect it at all? I also know that they have that slight green tint to them already.. I plan on tinting so I need to know this
  • budinctbudinct Member Posts: 21
    If anyone has an extra coupon from the C-Spot demo, I really could use it. Many thanks.
  • lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    Regarding the "diminished value", I am in NJ, I asked my agent whom I bought my policy from, he said he never heard about get the diminished value back kind of thing.
    I do find a website shows you the diminished value to fight for.
    NJ has something different from other states.
    Anybody have this kind of experience?
    ...from New Jersey and its peculiar brand of auto insurance. You're on you own...I sure can't help...
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I am considering purchasing a low mileage 2003 C240 for my wife. Question: does the free maintenence transfer to a new owner? I know that unless it is an unusual situation (wrecked car, etc.) the std. warranty goes on as usual and tranfers (right?), but what about the maintenence? If so, does MB simply track the car and thus I can show up at the nearest dealer to my housefor service until the car hits the age from date of orig. purchase/mileage limit? Thanks
    As long as the car is under the factory warranty of 4/50, the "covered service" offer applies to the car, not just the original owner.

And yes, the car's service history is available to any dealer, through their nationwide computer system. Upon purchase of the used car, notify MBUSA of your new ownership status [you can do this via a postcard in the owner's documents/warranty booklet, or simply go to the nearest dealer and have them enter your info in the computer system], and you're in business. After that, whenever you show up at any dealer, you should be recognized as the new owner, and the service program applies as before.

Keep in mind that while extensive, the service offer is not universal - some wear items [logical exceptions like tires and brakes] are not covered, but nearly everything else called for in the service booklet is. However, service frequency under the offer is determined by the onboard FSS system - dealers have some flexibilty here [1000 miles or so is not unusual], but generally routine preventative mtc is only accomplished when the system calls for it. And don't forget other mtc. items that are time-dependent - coolant, brake fluid, etc - these are also covered by the maint offer, but you sometimes have to remind the dealer that it is time to do one of these in conjunction with an A or B service.

And as a final note, we are quite happy with our '02 C240. Hope yours will work as well for you...
  • mbformembforme Member Posts: 10
    Just dropped my 2004 C230 Sport Sedan off at the dealer for it's first service (@ 13K)... it turns out i need to replace my tires... any recommendation for tires that last a bit longer?
  • shilohshootershilohshooter Member Posts: 2
    You don't mention if you're looking for summer tires or all-weather. For the latter, you can't go wrong with either Continental "ContiExtremeContact" or Pirelli P-Zero "Nero" M+S, depending on your budget.

Check out tirerack.com for lots of great tire information.
    My Continental CH95s have 62K miles on them and are close to replacement. 13K and they're worn out? All 4? What kind of tires are they?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    thanks for the great info.
    Post 6844 refers to the summer, Z-rated "performance" tires that now are standard with the C230 "Sport" sedan. [The first thing I'd do is go back to 16" wheels and 205/55x16s that are the std wheel size for the other sedans, but most owners don't consider that an option.] That kind of tire wear is not unusual, and the price you pay for "sportiness".

I agree with post 6845 - if you go with a tamer tread and rubber compound, i.e. an all-season tire, you'll at least double the wear. The price will be less absolute cornering ability in the dry, but with everything else improved: wet traction, wear, ride. Consumer choice, as they say...

I wonder how many people opting for the C230 understand that the staggered tire sizes and summer tread compound of the Z-rated tires [which are complete overkill] are going to be a very expensive add-on as the miles pile up. I too expect to see at least 60k miles from the OEM Conti CHs that are on our "boring" C240.
  • mbformembforme Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking for all season tires. I just want a good tire that will last at least 50K and are reasonably priced. I'm mostly commuting...
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    The original Contis lasted 40K and would have gone longer but one was looking worse than the others because it had been run underinflated and had a sidewall scuff.

After some research on the web and talking to others, we ordered Bridgestone Turanza from Costco for the replacement. They look good on the car and got the best reviews by owners of the tires (www.tirerack.com), e.g., better than a Michelin tire that would have cost a little more.
This discussion has been closed.