Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...from New Jersey and its peculiar brand of auto insurance. You're on you own...I sure can't help...
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    I am considering purchasing a low mileage 2003 C240 for my wife. Question: does the free maintenence transfer to a new owner? I know that unless it is an unusual situation (wrecked car, etc.) the std. warranty goes on as usual and tranfers (right?), but what about the maintenence? If so, does MB simply track the car and thus I can show up at the nearest dealer to my housefor service until the car hits the age from date of orig. purchase/mileage limit? Thanks
    As long as the car is under the factory warranty of 4/50, the "covered service" offer applies to the car, not just the original owner.

And yes, the car's service history is available to any dealer, through their nationwide computer system. Upon purchase of the used car, notify MBUSA of your new ownership status [you can do this via a postcard in the owner's documents/warranty booklet, or simply go to the nearest dealer and have them enter your info in the computer system], and you're in business. After that, whenever you show up at any dealer, you should be recognized as the new owner, and the service program applies as before.

Keep in mind that while extensive, the service offer is not universal - some wear items [logical exceptions like tires and brakes] are not covered, but nearly everything else called for in the service booklet is. However, service frequency under the offer is determined by the onboard FSS system - dealers have some flexibilty here [1000 miles or so is not unusual], but generally routine preventative mtc is only accomplished when the system calls for it. And don't forget other mtc. items that are time-dependent - coolant, brake fluid, etc - these are also covered by the maint offer, but you sometimes have to remind the dealer that it is time to do one of these in conjunction with an A or B service.

And as a final note, we are quite happy with our '02 C240. Hope yours will work as well for you...
  • mbformembforme Posts: 10
    Just dropped my 2004 C230 Sport Sedan off at the dealer for it's first service (@ 13K)... it turns out i need to replace my tires... any recommendation for tires that last a bit longer?
  • You don't mention if you're looking for summer tires or all-weather. For the latter, you can't go wrong with either Continental "ContiExtremeContact" or Pirelli P-Zero "Nero" M+S, depending on your budget.

Check out tirerack.com for lots of great tire information.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    My Continental CH95s have 62K miles on them and are close to replacement. 13K and they're worn out? All 4? What kind of tires are they?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    thanks for the great info.
    Post 6844 refers to the summer, Z-rated "performance" tires that now are standard with the C230 "Sport" sedan. [The first thing I'd do is go back to 16" wheels and 205/55x16s that are the std wheel size for the other sedans, but most owners don't consider that an option.] That kind of tire wear is not unusual, and the price you pay for "sportiness".

I agree with post 6845 - if you go with a tamer tread and rubber compound, i.e. an all-season tire, you'll at least double the wear. The price will be less absolute cornering ability in the dry, but with everything else improved: wet traction, wear, ride. Consumer choice, as they say...

I wonder how many people opting for the C230 understand that the staggered tire sizes and summer tread compound of the Z-rated tires [which are complete overkill] are going to be a very expensive add-on as the miles pile up. I too expect to see at least 60k miles from the OEM Conti CHs that are on our "boring" C240.
  • mbformembforme Posts: 10
    I'm looking for all season tires. I just want a good tire that will last at least 50K and are reasonably priced. I'm mostly commuting...
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    The original Contis lasted 40K and would have gone longer but one was looking worse than the others because it had been run underinflated and had a sidewall scuff.

After some research on the web and talking to others, we ordered Bridgestone Turanza from Costco for the replacement. They look good on the car and got the best reviews by owners of the tires (www.tirerack.com), e.g., better than a Michelin tire that would have cost a little more.
  • muzzmuzz Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a Brand New MB 230K sedan or C240 in the next 3 months.
    I got big hesitation of choosing between C230k and C240 now. The thing is...
    Is c230k noisy and uncomfortable than C240?
    And do you think that it is possible buying C230K(AT transmission,sunroof,cd changer) with $29K oneshot cash money?
    Plz reply~
    thanks.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    You should test drive both since you have to go to the dealership anyway whether you get a 230K or 240.
  • kingkkingk Posts: 8
    Try carsdirect.com with a CA zip code (ex 90706)... Believe or not.. The 230K sedan with your options is about 28K because of a heavy dealer cash. Actually the C320 was about 4K below invoice. Yeah, hard to believe.. The special offer ends at the end of this month though.. Good Luck.. Please tell us about your deal later..
  • budinctbudinct Posts: 19
    I am going to buy a C230 with auto, sunroof, CD heated seats for $29 even as well. I am happy. It seems like a good deal.
    Does anyone know if the 2005 C230 sedan and/or C240 will have availability of the new DVD-based navigation system that also plays MP3s?
    The 2005 CL class has it.
    I noticed the previous generation C Class sedan seemed more "substantial" and larger. The current C Class reminds me a little of the even older bodystle from the 190/260s in the early 1990's.
    The current C-class "looks" smaller than a 2000, but is the interior and trunk room really smaller?
    I've owned all of them...actually 2ea W201s ['84 and '86], a W202 ['94] and the current W203 ['02 C240]. The current car is "more substantial" both in measurements and feel. I certainly don't have any impression at all that the previous generation is any bigger or...well...just can't fathom where that comes from...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    While Jcrt is mathematically correct, I agree that the 202 (last generation) "looks" bigger. I think the the larger than fact appearance stems from the more upright grill, front and rear windshields and taller overall profile. Also I think the 203 can "feel" more confining and smaller due to the significantly more raked windshield combined with the more sloping hoodline.

The new 203 is a very solid feeling car. Possibley the most solid feeling one in the current line up.
  • miguelmiguel Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Does anyone knows how many watts does the stereo system in the 2001 C320 sedan have?
  • abhiabhi Posts: 1
    04' C230 Sedan,Premium Audio,Sunroof,2k miles
    Actually, it is the Sun shade vibration which is causing the distorted sound, even at a low volume.The service centre says-the bass is too much.Although, for the same CD,same audio settings, 2 months back there was no distortion!!
    Has anybody seen similar problem??!!Thanks
    At Eurobuyers.com and a few other places, you can purchase certain BMW models for about $1000 to $1500 over the European Delivery INVOICE price.
    Are there places you can do that with a C230 or C240?
    If you ask the MBZ dealers for a discount from the ED MSRP, I know they will simply say "The Euro Delivery MSRP is already an adequate discount for you. We can't discount any further."
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Looks pretty good:

M
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    The Corolla probably should provide one of the most favorable cost per mile obtainable (other than buying a used Corrolla), but other than that, there's not much you can rationally say about it.
    ...an '03 Corolla and an '02 C240. Size is the only legitimate comparison. For long-distance touring, comfort, and overall satisfaction, the C seems worth the extra money to me [we paid $15k for our Corolla, $30k for the C240 automatic].

I don't much believe in sourpuss dissing as a discussion tactic, either. I also would never discourage anyone from buying either car...our Corolla was most certainly NOT a "tin can", and the C is still superior in every way except ownership cost. Having owned 14 MBs and nearly as many Toyotas, you can't convince me that either of these is something to deride...oh well...
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I recently had a Corolla as a rental. Much to my surprise, the engine sounded quite loud and rough. Far more NVH than my old '87 Integra. And the seats were very uncomfortable for me. No doubt a very reliable car, however.
  • chadwick32chadwick32 Posts: 20
    I have never owned a MB and am considering this 96 C280 Starmark certified from the local MB dealer. Has 61k miles and appears to be in great shape. My question is will this car last the next 10 years and be pretty solid car or am I paying too much for name? My wife says latter but I want the car if price is fair. Who is right??
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    cars that old typically require more service. Parts and labor on a Mercedes will cost a lot more than most other cars that age.
  • kkics1kkics1 Posts: 11
    I was shopping around in Chicago, and I have been quoted Invoice less $2250 in rebate on a 2004 C230. Any thoughts on this as a fair price? I think it is, but I want to make sure before I make the plunge. Also, how hard is it to find one without a sun roof? Being 6'4", headroom is at a premium.
    The price is fine - not worth doing a lot of arguing about. The chances of finding a car without a sunroof are slim and none.

Just about the only way to get a non-roof car is to order it, and by definition, that's not an option in this case.

I've been buying these cars since 1968, and lament the day [sometime in the mid '80s, I think] when it became "necessary" to have a sunroof in this "class" of cars; this occurred about the same time it became mandatory to have alloy wheels, power windows, leather, etc. This was when the steep decline of the dollar vs the D-Mark made it necessary to disguise huge price increases with more equipment. Next thing you know, the marketing types have convinced everybody that this is what the car should look like.

In the EU, you can have any C or E with cloth upholstery, no sunroof, steel wheels, etc....we, on the other hand, get no such choices. Special-order cars are the only way to avoid the sunroof "penalty" [I'm 6' even, but would pay them to leave it off any car I buy]. The seat should have enough travel to suit you anyway, but I know that can be a near thing depending on where your height is [legs vs torso].
This discussion has been closed.