Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

I think that the problems that plagued the early W203s are pretty much solved. We have actually had an excellent experience with our '02 C240, which was produced in January of '02, some 18 months after production started, and now there are an additional 30-some months that have passed. You could make an argument that a 3er might be more trouble-free, but I think the two cars are now very comparable.

I believe it boils down to two issues: do you value the extra refinement and space [the differences are small but noticeable] of the C vs the extra handling and "sportiness" of the 3er....AND....how you feel about your local dealers and their relative merits.

I am a big believer in CU and their data, but the problems with the early cars are weighing heavily on their recommendations [or lack thereof]. They're not big fans of the 3er's track record, either. Compared with any of the Japanese alternatives, the Germans are going to look bad - compared to each other, I don't see differences that make or break the decision. Use whatever other criteria are important to you to break the tie, but between these two cars, I don't think reliability [either short or long term - there is a difference] is a big point of departure.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Both cars have been out for quite a few years, so the bugs are pretty much going to be worked out of both of them. I'm not sure how much weight this bears on your decision, but there is a new BMW 3 series coming out sometime next year (personally I'd take the current body style that's tested and true). As of 2004, both manufacturers offer 4 years/50K miles bumper to bumper warranty and free scheduled maintenance for the same duration. I'm pretty sure MB is dropping the scheduled maintenance for the '05.

Drive them both and see what you come up with.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It's nice to believe that all the problems are solved and everything is wonderful now, but you are taking a risk unless you wait and see statistics proving it.
    ..."that everything is wonderful now". I said that between a BMW 3er and an MB C-Class, there is little to choose in terms of what might go wrong.

I still believe that when you pick one of these cars vs the Japanese competition [have you tried a Lexus IS, for example?], you have to do so with the recognition that you will spend more time in the shop over ten years of ownership. Period. What I don't believe is that there are significant differences now between an '05 BMW 325 and an '05 MB C240 in how much time that will be.

Among rear drive alternatives, you really should check out the IS and Infiniti G, presuming of course you live in an area where a dealer exists within a reasonable distance. In both cases, I found the ride to be just flinty enough to make me prefer the Germans, and of course the IS has the additional disadvantage of being even more cramped than a 3er, but if reliability is a big concern, these two cars absolutely should be on your list. And the Acura TL, if FWD is not unacceptable.

Is this a balanced enough answer?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    jrct... Great post.
  • ermakovermakov Member Posts: 2
    I thinking to buy a MB C240 V6 auto 2003. It was a demo model at local dealership and has 6 000 km on it. Question I have what about reliability of this car, specially about electronics? Mostly I drive in the city, but we (me and my wife) like drive long distance (3 000 km and more) when on vacation. Previosly I have only Honda. I did have drive test and love it. Any responces? Thank you
    How is the car equipped? The simpler, the better. Trouble areas are the COMAND system, and the memory seats/electronic key interface. Otherwise, let the above observations be your guide, assuming the price and warranty are right.

I'm convinced that one of the reasons our C240 has been relatively easy to live with is that we deliberately avoided a lot of the electronic doo-dads that have been the source of so much of the trouble.

Understand, that compared with any Honda, your trouble list is bound to be longer over a 5 year period. The ride and general demeanor of this car, though, especially on long trips, is clearly superior to any Honda product except an Acura RL.
  • ermakovermakov Member Posts: 2
    I do not have memory seats on it, but car equipt pretty good, from my point of veiw. It has remaining warranty and price not bad and they give me good price for my trade in 2 years old Honda Civic. Yes, it is my concern about electronics. Thank you for response.
  • slosheysloshey Member Posts: 1
    I owned--past tense--a 2001 C-240. The car was so awful, I couldn't stand to keep it til it was paid off; it was the first car I'd ever owned that didn't pay off. The capper was the day I took it into the dealer to fix an electrical problem for the fourth time. When I told the service rep I was going to get rid of it because it had so many more problems than with the Japanese cars I've owned, he said, "Oh, you've only got one page of service entries; I've got people coming in here with four and five pages"! He also said you can't compare European cars' reliablity to that of Japanese cars' because they're "different," and that Japanese cars will always be more reliable. Totally true.

While I loved the solid think of the doors, the front seats, and (viewing, but not fixing) the electronic display, the C-240 drove like a Buick unless you flogged it. The automatic wouldn't shift into first gear unless you came to a complete stop and sat there for a couple seconds; if you didn't wait long enough, it'd shift into first with a thunk as soon as you pressed the gas.

The service costs, had I not been under warranty, would have been astronomical. The engine doesn't have a drain plug or a dipstick--so you either have to take it to the dealer to change the oil or buy a siphon. I tried several Mercedes dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area; none of them offers anywhere near the technical capabilities or customer service of the worst Japanese-car dealer I've dealt with here. One day I scheduled an appointment at the SF dealer; when I brought it in, I had to wait 45 minutes just to check the car in.

Consumer Reports' readers (including me) are absolutely thrashing Mercedes' reliability these days, with good reason. That poor reliability had a big part in how much I got when I traded in my C-240. I bought it new for $34K; three years later, I got $16K for it, even though it looked fabulous. Think a Japanese car would depreciate that much? Not even close.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Both the C class and 3 series get upgraded engines
    for the '06 model. Here's the schedule for the
    C Class:

New V6 and V6 CDI engines available with
    7G-Tronic:

C280 CDI: 190PS from a 3,0 Liter V6-CDI from
    Feb/March 05

C 320 CDI: 231PS from a 3,0 Liter V6-CDI from
    Feb/March 05

C 230: 2.3 Liter V6 with 204 PS from June 2005
    C 280: 2.8 Liter V6 with 231 PS from June 2005
    C 350: 3.5 Liter V6 with 272 PS from June 2005

I would think the C280/350 will be for the US.

Also the series is a new model (E90) for '06.
    The engine displacements are the same but the
    2.5 and 3.0 get valvetronic technology. Figure
    about a 10% increase in HP with a broader
    torque curve.

So if you want the new stuff wait a year but
    be prepared to pay MSRP. Good prices are to be
    had for '05s especially next year.
    The engines return to a 4-valve head design. The transmission may be more significant [7spd automatic], but in any case, it's win-win: more performance AND lower fuel consumption.

I agree that the most likely choices for our market are the 2.8 and 3.5 sixes. I'd love to see them finally bring us a diesel in this body, but I'm not counting on it.

The new B-class will be introduced at the Detroit Show in January, and be available in our market in the fall of '05. It's a stretched version of the next-gen A [which is just now being introduced in EU], and will have a turbo-4 gasoline engine, with again, a great diesel which we may or may not see in our market. This car will have most of the interior space of an E, but with an honest 35 mpg in average use. It is, of course, FWD, which may or may not matter to MB customers - the current A has sold well in EU and its uniqueness doesn't seem to have hurt.
    I bought my first BMW [a 1602] in 1967 at age 22, and the first MB was an overseas-delivered 220 Sedan in 1968. I'll admit that the sales staff at European Motors in SF did not exactly flock to my side when I first darkened their door in the summer of 1968 to order the 220. Still, money talked, as always: I had begun what became a rewarding career in big-system computer operations in 1965 while still in college, and we were already doing well in our early 20s.

BMW was too new to the US market then to turn anyone away; now, they seem to see themselves exclusively as a "prestige marque"; it's mightily amusing to me to hear their North American dealers and distributor bad-mouth the new BMW 1-series as not "upscale" enough for the US. How time marches on.

Anyway, you'll get no serious argument from me in selecting either of these cars. Indeed, if a neighbor is a principal at a BMW dealership, that may be reason enough to go with the 325. Do let us know what you decide.
  • ma5246ma5246 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this 99 c230 with 30k miles and the driver side window was working fine but after a week it gave up on me. Have any one seen this ?
    How much $ are we talking about to fix it?

Thanks
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    You said you dumped your troublesome '01 Mercedes C-240 but didn't say what car you bought to replace it. Your response might be considered off topic for this group but I'm curious......Richard
  • mjteam9000mjteam9000 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there,

My wife's birthday is coming up, and we thought we would surprise her with a Mercedes, and have decided to look at the C320, after being disappointed with the pick up of the C240. We need to know how much we can bring down the price, to a point where some dealers would still be willing to sell. Here are the specs:

2005 C320
    -Pewter Metallic color
    -Ash leather interior
    -6 CD changer
    -Automatic Transmission
    -Sun Roof Package

Could someone please provide us with an estimate as to how much we would be able to get this car for? Thanks,

-Ajay
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Use the resources here like the "TMV" or try Cars Direct.com
    I wonder if they have improved to quality much with the 2005 updates?
    I noticed that the radio ads for the C Class seem to scream about how cheap the car is and do not talk about engineering or quality.
    This iteration of the C class might be a lost cause. Maybe the all-new 2007 model will be a new beginning.
  • jackstraw777jackstraw777 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01' C320. I live in New Jersey which requires State Inspection. I recently had my car transported from another state and the shipper is only responsible for $250 in damage with $100 deductible. The drivers side mirror has a small crack which happened during shipment. New Jersey rejected my car during inspection and told me the mirror has to be replaced. Mercedes Benz charged me $483 + Tax for the mirror. This didn't include installation which they did for free. Are you kidding me!!!!! The mirror has some minor electronics for auto-dimming and moving control. I estimate at best it cost $40 to make with export costs maybe another $75 dollars. Mercedes Benz isn't a military contractor. This is like the $2000 toilet seat or the thousand dollar hammer the US Government pays to supply the Armed Forces.

I needed a front license plate holder also when I moved to New Jersey. MB charged me $43 for that. An injection molded piece of plastic that probably cost them .25 cents. The previous owner either took the part out of the car or MB never put it in the trunk.

I accept the fact that parts for the Benz will be much higher than for US cars or even Toyota or Nissan. I doubt that parts for Lexus are this ridiculous. The price for these parts is so out of line for a $40,000 car it's absurb.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Which is why many of us buy our parts from other sources. Same parts. Often they even come in 'official' MB wrapping. Use the net to find your parts next time. I'm surprised they installed it for free even though it's a 5 minute job. Before you get surprised again I suggest you ask around for a good local independent MB repair source as well.
  • takeoutboytakeoutboy Member Posts: 2
    start with invoice price, and how much below you can get is how good you can negotiate w/ the sales.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My 2004 Benz C240 has 1700 miles on it and transmission oil is dripping on the garage floor.
    Warranty time. There are many places xmission fluid can leak that are minor (relatively speaking) repairs.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    My new C240 (2004) has all the options I wanted EXCEPT premium sound. Several radio shops say there is NOTHING that can be done since the car is all fibre-optic and they can only do an upgrade if all OE is ripped out and replaced. About $3500. Another shop said yes we can, we'll build you a wooden box in the trunk, but I don't want that. What CAN a pro shop install for less than a kings randsom to improve the sound quality? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I have a C320 that has the standard 10 speaker Bose stereo. It has very poor sound quality, probably the worst in any car I've ever owned. It is the single worst feature of the car. So don't feel bad that you didn't pay extra to get the Bose in your C240--you are not missing anything. It is definitely not the same Bose upgrade that Mercedes puts in the E-class or M-class. These stereos actually sound very good. But they cut corners on the C-class, and I feel this to be inexcusable for a 40k car. Especially when every other car in its class has a much better stereo. Heck, even 20k toyotas have better stereos. I will make sure to evaluate the stereo more closely before buying my next vehicle.
    Mine sounds great after I 'tuned' it to my liking (settings). You can still put in aftermarket audio but you can't use the steering wheel controls. Locating the speaker wires may be frustrating but doable. Replacing speakers is also doable. What's the big deal?
  • vincent7vincent7 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 C 320 4matic. When I first put on the air conditioner, warm air comes out for about 10 secdonds before it starts to become cold air. The dealer says that this is normal. Has anyone else had this happen to their air conditioner?
    normal...
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hi everyone. have an Accord right now that i need to get rid of.

would a 99 C280 Sport with 49k miles be a bad decision? can get an extended warranty though my credit union. price is $16k.

i will post in Maint and Repair forum too.

looking to get a solid car that won't nickel and dime me, with a little style and tank-like build quality built in :)

looking at Saab 9-5's too.

Thanks!
  • bmbmwbmbmw Member Posts: 6
    Hi All;

I am getting close to making a decision on the above cars. I had the 325i for a test drive of 2 days and must say it is very nice. I found its over all ride and handling superb. I will test drive the 240 (Elegance, here in Winnipeg, Canada) next. I would like your thoughts and feed back on a few things...

What are you impressions of the upgrades to the '05 240? I think they are great and long over due, esp in the case of the CD player. To me they really enhance the quality/appearance of the interior.

What options have you purchased and would purchase again, and which would you not get again? I intend to keep my options (esp electronic) to a minimum as I find the models well equipped and the less electronics (IMO) the better.

I have found the stereo on my 14 year old toyota very good. I am not an audiophile, so would I notice or appreciate an upgraded sound system on either of these cars? I don't expect the standard system to be excellent, but is is at least "Good"?

I have to say I find the exterior of the BMW very appealing over that of the MB, but the interior of the MB has the BMW beat. I love the comfortable sumptuousness of the MB interior.

My travel needs are modest. I will only put low city miles on it, will get the extended warranty, will "baby" it, and hope to keep it for 8 - 10 years.

While I think and feel both cars are excellent ( I find both engines more that adequate for my driving needs) I am inclined towards the 240. However my biggest reservation comes from concerns over MB quality. I understand it is not what it has been. I also understand that they are intentional about addressing this issue. I also read the the C class was early on plagued with "bugs". This was esp true in the 2001 and possible 2002 model years. Can I assume that most of these C class "bugs" have been addressed? What has been the experience of those who own 2002/03/04 vehicles? I dont expect a MB to be a good as a Japanese car, but I do expect it to be reasonably good and to hold its value over the long term.

I appreciate your thoughts...thanks.

B
    I would say it is super risky to buy the 240.
    The quality issues are getting more and more publicized, so resale values are going to have to start reflecting that soon.
    If you really love it, instead of expecting to drive it for 8-10 years and spending a lot of money on an extended warranty and then more on repairs excluded by the extended warranty plus all repairs during the period you will have the car after even the extended warranty has expired, just lease it no longer than the length of the factory warranty so you can get out of without hassles in 3 or 4 years.
    If the car is a repair disaster for 3 years, at least it isn't costing you anything extra to keep fixing it and you don't have to deal with the resale of it.
    I think you can barely slip a piece of paper between the differences on a C240 vs a 325. I drove both and broke the tie in favor of a Jan 02 production C240, that we bought at a steep discount in Sept 02. That car has so far proved to be just fine, thanks; it has had two things to fix - an alignment problem that was apparent on our first test drive [and thus repaired prior to delivery - always drive the car you are going to buy], and a minor differential leak that was caused by a plugged vent tube.

I think the 325 is an excellent choice - I preferred the slightly softer ride and extra back seat and trunk room of the C, vs. the better handling and quicker pull of the 3er. And our MB dealer was to be preferred to the BMW guy where we came from [we have since moved].

I caution you in the case of BOTH cars: KEEP IT SIMPLE. Avoid electronic doo-dads [memory seats, upgraded stereos, nav systems, etc.] and get the most basic car you can find. Neither of these manufacturers have covered themselves in glory lately in dealing with their electronic problems, mostly because they buy from the same flawed German suppliers in both cases.

As for resale, it's my experience that 5-6 years down the line, the differences will by minimal - miles and condition matter more at that stage than anything else.

I think another small advantage for the new C is the upgraded interior - this also gives it a slight leg up on the current 3er, at least in my book.

Both cars are known quantities now - both are mature products, with few surprises lurking in the closet. I'd say base your decision on what makes you hum...
    325 has "solid" reliability ratings that are pretty good. Not like a Camry or Lexus, but much better than the current reputation for MB cars.
    BMW 3 Series is a resale darling and the C Class will have to start reflecting their low JD Power quality ratings and other reliability ratings, and general complaints from so many owners compared to BMW owners how mostly rave about their cars. On top of that recent C Class ads I've heard tout mostly about low pricing. That doesn't help resale.
    I consider it a disposable car that I would lease for only the factory warranty time and mileage period, at most, to protect myself from shaky future resale and out of warranty repair costs, not a car to risk driving for 8 to 10 years and out of warranty.
    If the finance companies haven't yet started lowering residuals on the C Class, then you might make out well on a lease with an unrealistically high projected residual value.
    A Lexus or Toyota is best suited for keeping past the warranty and still being a desired used car retaining good resale value even with high mileage. The BMW 3 Series will also do well used just because they are loved for performance and hipness-factor and they are "reasonably" reliable at the same time.
    I have to say I appreciate the comments made about MB by both 307web and jrct9454. If I just look at the reviews and press about MB lately( say the last 5 years) there dosent seem to be much good there in terms of customer care and reliability... though I have no doubt there are many good and solid vehicles out there... for a company that prides (or at least use to pride) itself on well made and (longer term) reliable cars... they seem to have come a long way...

Much of this would not matter to me except that ever since I was a kid I fell in love with MB sedans and always dreamed of owning one. Back then (say the '60's) they were still expensive but they were also known for their long life. Now, for the first time in my life I am at the point of buying one... and because of the reliability thing...I just dont feel overly confident about it and shouldn't you feel confident about your new car?... Its sad, but I think that on a MB corporate level its a disaster... because they may well be weakening their present owner base and also driving new (potential) owners like me away. Remember, I WANT to buy one. I will test drive the '05 240 this weekend, I'm sure it will be very fine, but its the 3 plus years down the road that concerns me. BMW will cover ALL maintanece, service, and wear and tear items for a few years, thats nice... but you know its not the money...its the confidence they seem to have and the industry seems to have in the vehicle that matters
    If you love it so much, why not lease it for 3 years so you can drive it with less risk?
    You will have to pay maintenance, but at least all the repairs will be free under warranty and the resale of it is not your problem.
    At least it looks good, the new interior is nice and it has prestige and valet appeal.
    If you have a good dealer that always has loaner cars available, it may not be that bad even if you are unlucky and get a problem car.
    While I understand Leasing is a good option in some cases, I dont think it is in mine. As I mentioned, I hope to keep my next car a good while and so leasing is a more expensive option. At the end of a 3 year lease, I would be out about $23,ooo and no car and no equity and back to square one... while not a risk.. it is a huge loss. If I bought or leased the car it would be under warranty either way, so no difference there. Here in Canada the maintanece of a new BMW is covered for a few years, but not on the Benz. So I would be liable for that under a lease too. So no change there. As for prestige and "valet" appeal (!?) These are not factors for me, I am looking to buy the car I want because I want it and it is at least reasonably good. Although I understand these might be positive factors for some buyers.

I dont mind paying more to own and maintain a car that I really want, I just want to have a good feeling about its long term prospects when I buy it. Which is why I like the fact that both the 240 and the 325 have been in production for a number of years.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    Here's a question I've pondered for a while. The C240 sedan has a 168 HP 6 cylinder engine while the C230 has a 189 HP supercharged 4 cylinder engine. Why do people choose the C240? I can see that the C320 is more expensive, but when I drove the C230 and the C320, the differences were not huge. So what's attractive about the C240? The C230 is probably faster and can have most if not all the options the C240 offers.

Too bad we don't have a turbo diesel version. I could understand that - lower HP but much higher torque.
    We picked the C240 2 years ago, and I would do it again, because it rides more softly and quietly than the C230. The choice of Z-rated summer tires, and the use of staggered tire sizes means the C230 is too compromised to be the kind of quiet, refined touring car that I want in my MBs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, or simply can't tell the difference, then the C230 would be a good choice for you.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...some prefer the 240 over the 230 does in fact relate to options. You can get 4MATIC and multi-contour driver's seat on the 240, but not the 230.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Doesn't the C240 also come with real wood inlays vs. the aluminum trim in the C230? I don't think you can get wood with the C230. Some folks prefer the wood, some prefer the aluminum.

The C230 also comes with the sport seats. While they are generally very comfortable, some prefer more conventional seats, to go along with the smoother ride.

Finally, while the C240 could use some more power, its power delivery is different, as only a V6 could be compared to a supercharged 4-cylinder. It's best to drive two back-to-back to decide.
    In June of 2003, I did drive the C320 Sport Sedan and the C230 Sport Sedan back to back in 30 minute test drives and they were shockingly close except for the price. Actually the C230 handled a tad better since it had less weight on the front wheels. Since I was looking for more sport than luxury, I didn't look at the C240 since it seemed a bit anemic on paper.

I understand that some people are interested in comfort more than anything else, so I understand why those folks would prefer the C240. Thanks for clarifying the C240's place in the market.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    All MB needs to do is to add a small amount of power to the C240. That may be coming with a new direct injection V6.

Any "reliable" rumors on when a more powerful C240 is on tap? Model year 2006?
    No, they would say upgrade to the C320.
    ...that there will be multiple versions [as always - this is a tradition] of the new V6 with the 4-valve heads and direct injection. At the moment, the only one that is out there is the 3.5, currently appearing in the new SLK but soon to be across the line everywhere that the old 3.2 was used. It is presumed that there will be other versions from 2.5 to 2.8 to 3.0 liters...which one[s] of those will appear in our market is up for grabs, and the timing is indeed a big question. I would not be surprised by either scenario: the new engines appearing in the current W203 as a swan song before the replacement car appears....or....waiting until the new body makes its appearance in early '07 [late '07 in our market, as an '08 model]. I can see arguments for both alternatives. In any case, all the V6s and V8s [which share a common architecture and common assembly line] will have the new heads / fuel system before '08.

Also, their intention is to drop supercharging and go to turbos. The new 4 cyls will be turbos, starting with the B-class which will be in our market in about a year.

And finally, I'll observe that I find 168 hp perfectly adequate, thank you, and don't need to get to 60 mph any faster than the 8.8 seconds that the C240 manages. What the car needs more than extra power [for me] is the new 7-speed automatic - the gearing on the C240 is noticeably short to keep response reasonably snappy. You could have your cake and eat it too with the new automatic - fuel consumption in this car is out of proportion to the power, precisely because of the short gearing. The new powertrains should be the best of all worlds - more power AND lower fuel use AND lower emissions.

Incidentally, when the B-class gets here it will probably have a CVT transmission [along with a 6-spd manual] as the optional drivetrain.
    I hope they don't switch to turbo power. The low end grunt from a supercharger is a great advantage in their higher performance versions.
    ...they've already announced their intention to drop superchargers in favor of turbos.

The drivetrains for the new A-class have already been announced. Anything with forced air is a turbocharger, not a supercharger. The AMGs are all going to turbos on the V8s [hasn't this already happened ? I don't pay that much attention to the AMG side of the house].

They claim they have solved the turbo lag problem with what amounts to a turbo-within-a-turbo design. Don't know who is the OEM here [Garrett? AirResearch? Fill-in-the-blank?].
  • lxgmb1lxgmb1 Member Posts: 2
    When I bought mine in 2001, there were lot of complains about the new C320. I though, well, this may not happen to me. You know what, I was wrong.
    By the way, do you guys know how to show them a randomly-happened issue? The most recent problem is when open door from inside driver's side, sometimes, only one door is opened, sometimes all four. Another random problem is the fuel gauge, sometimes malfunctions, this casued me stopped in the middle of a high way in April, right now it happens again.
    .....is well known by all dealers, or should be. There are multiple TSBs out on it. The problem, I believe, is the sending unit...a problem, incidentally, which is shared by ALL of the German makes. VW, Audi, etc. have all managed to buy the same parts from the same suppliers. The alleged cause is the higher sulfur content in some American gasoline, or so I've read.

Our '02 C240, which for most of its life has been fed Calif RFG, has not exhibited any symptoms beyond the occasional [twice in two years] situation where the needle is slow to finally hit the full mark after a fillup. It does get there eventually...this has happened only twice.

My list of C-Class TSBs is in the car, which is 3 floors below me in the condo garage. I'll check to see if there is anything on the door locking solenoid the next time I'm down there.
    Your random door "problem" is a feature controlled by how you open your door with the remote. RTFM...like I did when I thought I had the same "problem". If you open just the driver door remotely then only the driver door will unlock when you turn off the engine. Activate remote button twice to enter then all doors will unlock when you turn off the engine. "Over-engineered?" Maybe, but it makes sense. I don't follow your fuel gauge problem. Yes, I had several/many problems with my '01 C320 but they were all fixed (eventually, when parts arrived) under warranty. None of the problems affected reliability. I like the car and intend to keep it a much longer.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    John -- it's been a while and I've lost your email address. If you email me privately I will tell you the outcome of the situation with my C320. Thanks. sl561@comcast.net

Sherrill
    I tried to send an e-mail to SL561@comcast.net [that's correct, right?] and the system kicked it back.

In any case, I'm at jrct9454@comcast.net.

Yes, I'd like to hear how it turned out. If you were dealing with MB-Sacto, I'd also like to know whom you were working with. As you probably know, we are now 600 miles north in Vancouver WA, right across the river from Portland. Only thing I miss about the new arrangement vs the old is my well-lighted private garage...the condo garage is not the same for a car nut...
This discussion has been closed.