Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback about my request for better deals. If you have any more ideas on where to get better than $1000 off MSRP on a 2004 Sienna near Atlanta, GA, please let me know.
  • unc8185unc8185 Posts: 33
    Try Heywood Allen Toyota in Athens. We bought a 2000 XLE there in Nov. 1999. They were cheaper than the Atlanta dealers. They also communicate via email.

Since you know what you want, why don't you just email, call, or fax the dealers in this area. Many will give you a quote. Second, using a quote from another dealer or from a buying service (e.g. carsdirect.com, AAA, Costco, other buying services) can give you a base from which you can get excellent quotes via email or fax.

Good luck!
  • bausbackbausback Posts: 7
    THANK YOU EDMUNDS! If it weren't for this board, we would not have been as confident as we should have been to get our deal at 2% over invoice. We have put in our order for the 2004 Sienna XLE with option package 3 (leather, sunshades and 17" alloy wheels) in Arctic Frost White with fawn (tan)interior from CROWN TOYOTA in Lawrence, Kansas. Our pricing was as follows:

Base invoice XLE - $25,150
    Package #3 invoice - 1,304
    Floor mats invoice - 119
    Special color invoice- 187
    TDA - 429
    Delivery - 510
    +2% dealer margin - 554
    Total: $28,253 (plus doc fees, warranty, etc.)

Here's our experience:

We contacted several dealers, most of which said they wouldn't give any discount on MSRP. Our search took about two weeks of phone calls and emails to the various dealerships with the following results:

Dealer #1(our home dealership) - 1st offer MSRP with no discount. 2nd offer - will match Dealer #5 (but it took 3 days to get this response from salesperson and in the meantime we had gotten offer from Dealer #6 which we took). We were very disappointed that our own dealership didn't take us seriously and value our business as a repeat customer. So we chose not to go back to them a 3rd time with the 2% offer.

Dealers #2 & #3 (local) - MSRP, no discount

Dealer #4 (local) - $500 under MSRP

Dealer #5 (about 150 miles away where relatives live) - $1,000 over invoice. (This was in response to our request to pay 2% over invoice). They were very easy to deal with and we almost took that deal except for Dealer #6.

Dealer #6 (30 miles outside of metro area) - 2% over invoice. Responded within 1/2 hour of our request - no haggling or hassles at all.

Our advice, keep calling dealers and be confident in the price you are willing to pay. Don't believe the story that "no one is selling under MSRP". Also, one thing we heard from most of the Toyota dealers is that they were more motivated to negotiate on what they have in stock as opposed to special ordering with a 4 month wait. This way they get a larger allotment of vehicles on the next shipment sooner (ie. sell more - get more).

If anyone wants more details about our experience or info on who we dealt with at Crown Toyota just send me an email.
  • twinmom73twinmom73 Posts: 17
    Hi - I would be interested, but your profile doesn't have your email address. We live in Tulsa, and Lawrence would not be too far to drive. I think Oklahoma is in that group that adds on extras, and Kansas isn't - so might be worth our drive!
    Thanks
    Sorry about that. I've fixed the profile to give my email addy.
  • twen1twen1 Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am very interesting to get your experience how to deal with car dealer. Could you make sure your profile is viewable so I am able to send you a email? I am looking for car dealers in austin, TX.
  • jxlxrjxlxr Posts: 54
    For those of you who have been buying or researching the 2004s, does anybody know what the 3 and 4 year lease residuals are looking like?

I am beginning to speak to a few dealers and I am waiting for official quotes but they are all MSRP at first conversation. With minivan sales down overall, cars sales down, and the fact that Toyota is cranking up production by over 50%, there should be no reason deals can't be made. The problem is always being the first in the door. For those who can wait, 2 months and a little over invoice will be the norm. Toyota wants this to be the Camry of vans.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,568
    Car_man, host over in Smart Shopper, should have some residual information handy. Try a search for the Lease Questions, Ask Here discussion.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tj2004tj2004 Posts: 3
    I live in central Iowa and brought home an '04 XLE with package #5 (rear discs, brake assist, traction & skid control, side airbags and curtain bags), mats and wireless headphones for 2,720 under MSRP. I did keep in fairly close touch with a salesperson at the dealership, but just stumbled across this one while looking at an LE (which seem to be moving faster than the XLE's, maybe due to all the packages attached?). The dealership has moved a lot of Sienna's, and seem to be willing to deal. We were very happy with the price.
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Posts: 23
    placed order today in colorado for xle limited awd for 2000 below msrp.
  • It's great you got such a good deal. You mentioned that XLE package 5 has rear discs, brake assist, traction & skid control, side airbags and curtain bags. Toyota's web site, http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/sienna/options.html, says XLE Package #5 comes with "leather-trimmed seats with manual second- and third-row window sunshades, and heated front seats". It doesn't mention the safety stuff you did. Do you know where the discrepancy comes from?
  • keith134keith134 Posts: 18
    Has anyone gotten a good deal from a dealership in the Twin Cities? The Odyssey is starting to sound really good at 28.5K with leather and the DVD system but I'd like to consider the Sienna if I can get a competitive price. thanks everyone.
  • Your post is truly inspiring. Thanks for being so generous and unselfish in sharing your info and experiences.

Your post made my day, since I have been trying to negotiate with dealers in my area for the past week without much success.

Has anybody gotten a good deal in AB/BC, Canada.
  • leagraleagra Posts: 7
    I'd like an LE pkg 3 or 4. I've been told most LE's are arriving with pkg 1 or 7, and are being sold at MSRP. Has anyone been quoted anything other than MSRP in this area?
  • tj2004tj2004 Posts: 3
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm not sure why it only lists a few of the option packages and uses different numbers on that page. In total there are 19 different packages. On the Toyota site, go to 'Build and price your Sienna' and it shows under option combination #1. Looks like there aren't a lot of options to choose from at this time. Edmunds new car site also shows all the option packages.

This is from the Edmunds site, contents match Toyota's except doesn't include the windshield wiper de-icer grid...
    XLE Package #5
    Includes stability control, traction control, brake assist, rear disc brakes, windshield wiper de-icer, daytime running lamps, power moonroof with sunshade, front side airbags and front, rear and third row curtain airbags.
  • terraeterrae Posts: 4
    Thanks to everyone for their replies to my previous questions! I would also like some feedback on the "extra" options. Which of the following would you recommend doing?

* Underbody & Rust Protection
    * Fabric Guard
    * Paint Protection with Teflon
    * Extra Care Protection

Does anyone have experience with these programs and how well they work?
  • murmalmurmal Posts: 25
    Hi,

I am looking forward to buy a minivan and with the
    introduction of Sienna 04. I am little bit
    confused as to which one is best in terms of
    worth for money, reliability, comfort in ride,
    pricing etc. Is it Sienna 04 or Odyssey 03?
    I live in Richmond, VA, I would also like
    to know anyone did get a nice deal with Sienna'04
    or Odyssey '03, in and around VA area.

I don't mind travelling a bit (say about 250 miles
    radius - upto Philly) to get a good deal on a Van.
    I heard that Dealers at Greensboro, NC and MD
    are really nice to deal with. Is it true?

Thanks and Regards,
  • As far as reliability, you probably won't find a rating for the 2004 Sienna, since it was completely redesigned from previous years. The 2003 Sienna got Consumer Reports' (CR) best rating for reliability. They also ranked the 2003 Sienna at the top of all mini-vans for reliability, just edging out the Mazda MPV and better than the Odyssey. However, like I said, it is a new year. CR gave the 2003 Odyssey their second best reliability rating.

As far as worth for money, you should choose for yourself after you see a side-by-side comparison. Edmunds.com can help you with this. Go to their home page, click on new cars, and then scroll down and click on compare. http://www.autosite.com/ also has really good comparison info. Off the top of my head, a few of the 2004 Sienna's advantages are that it has more cargo room, better gas mileage, a few more features available, and at least by my insurance company- annual insurance rates seem to be better on the Sienna than on the Odyssey. But, it may be harder to get a really good deal right now on a 2004 Sienna than on an Odyssey. The Odyssey (240) does have more horsepower than the Sienna (230). However, I haven't driven a 2004 Sienna yet, so I'm not sure how much, if any of a difference you feel with the Odyssey's 10 extra horses.

And for comfort of ride, you really should go test drive both and decide for yourself. Make sure you test drive the same trim level you would intend on getting, including the type of interior. Try to Not test drive one with leather if you plan to get cloth. And with the Sienna, I understand they even have different types of cloth for each trim level of the van (CE, LE, LXE). Although I've seen some post that they couldn't tell the difference. Others will always have opinions on which seat feels better... The 2004 Sienna does have more leg and head room than the Odyssey. But it's your money and you're the one sitting in the seat, so you should really decide that for yourself. Hope this helps.
  • mmc8mmc8 Posts: 8
    To those near Philly - I have gotten some decent pricing on the 04 Siennas, with just a little bit of leg work. I am trying to do better and am thinking that the more people I can send to this dealer, the better the overall deal for anybody interested. Right now they have offered me 3% over invoice for two vehicles (myself and a friend). But I do not want to go any higher than 2%.

If you are interested, let me know and maybe we can entice the dealer to do better.
  • palmerpalmer Posts: 33
    Let me know, as I am in the Philly area what dealership you are looking at.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    As you can see by my profile (that has my email address)I am a dealer so I can't solicit any business.
    You are welcome! good luck in your search...
  • LuzerLuzer Posts: 118
    If you get six serious peeps, offer 1% to 1.5% over invoice. You have done the work for them and deserve a few hundred off, and the sales guy + his manager will get bonuses for beating quota.
    What dealer in Philly are you dealing with?
  • hst1hst1 Posts: 17
    Hi,
    We are looking for a sienna as well, but don't want to pay over 2% invoice. We would be interested in the CE with the option of the traction control and airbags.... let me know what dealer you are working with or how we could work it out
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,775
    Several dealers here in MA told one or more van will arrive at the end of April or the beginning of May. Isn't too tough to get this model? One dealer showed me a list of production for 04 Sienna with 47% of LE.
  • socal4socal4 Posts: 8
    I have begun my search for the best price in Southern California. I just emailed about 25 different dealers seeking 2% over invoice. So far I have received 6 replies, all at full MSRP. In fact the dealers seem downright cocky, knowing that they will get full MSRP.

I must admit that economics principles dictate that when demand is greater than supply, the dealer is in control. Has anyone in Southern California gotten below MSRP, or better yet 2% over invoice as some consumers are sharing ?
  • socal4socal4 Posts: 8
    Here is an update. More full MSRP offers have come in and finally, a small victory with $500 under MSRP. Has anyone in So. Cal done better ?
  • Timing is perfect, up until recently I have been debating which vehicle to get. A previously owned large domestic SUV, was the direction I was heading. I know in my mind that minivan is the way to go with my family, but no van out there has the size and/or features that get me excited as some of the SUVs out there.
       Everyone seems to love their odyssey, but I used to have a 3 door pontiac transport, and I loved the flexibility of the seats, 8 passenger, split rear bench, ease of moving them in and out, etc. I did not like the styling on the exterior or the fact that the dealership had to replace the trans within 3 months of ownership.
       When I first started reading of the 04 Sienna, my heart was fluttering as I realized someone out there in Toyota Land heard my likes and dislikes of the minivans on the market now. They created the van that brings larger families back to practicality, not gas guzzling Suburbans. ( that's where I was headed)
       The best features that make the difference, third row split bench, with the extra space that odyssey boasts, the 2nd row windows that roll down. All three row side curtain bags, manual window shades, windshield wiper de-icer, FRONT and rear parking sensors, and the best feature of all, the purse hook. Thank you Toyota
    That will help the under MSRP cause....