Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    the north am focus will continue on the current platform for a while. it will not migrate to the mazda3/volvo platform.
    mazda3 review in local paper kind dogged the focus for having less horsepower. just came back from the airport, 4 people on board, plus a trunk full of luggage. car never felt like it was carrying a load, even up a big hill.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    It's easy to dog a car that has less power. It's not like comparing red delicious apples to reds, more like reds against granny smith. Yes, they are both apples, but not the same apples. And if it weren't for the Focus, there probably wouldn't be a Mazda 3. Since they went there, Mazda 3 doesn't even hold a candle against the Volvo S40. Yet, it's the same platform, basically.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The 05 Focus counts as a redesign? What did they do? It's a refresh at best. From what I see, they muted the dash somewhat and removed some of the tin foil from the headlights. Other than some cosmetic stuff and tweaking the 2.0 what else was done? Don't get me wrong...I am seriously considering a ZTW SES wagon with all options (lists around $21.7...dealer offering $17.7 with rebates and internet coupon). Anyone have any experience with extended warranties on the Focus in terms of what they cover and cost? Also, I see where the ST has folding side mirrors but the others don't. Does that hold true even if you order the cold weather group and get the heated side mirrors?
  • focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    Internet coupon? Where can I find this? How much is it worth?
  • dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    The '05 Focus features new engines as well as styling refreshes to the front (very VW-like), interior (less quirky, quite nice overall) and a subtle change to the rear tail lights. I drove a 2005 ZX4 recently in SE trim level. It is an excellent driving car. I liked the old styling, inside and out and the new one looks great too.

The new engines are from the Mazda3. They share similar hp and fuel econ numbers to the old Zetec but are lower in emissions. WHile not quite as smooth as my Honda or Toyota, the Ford is good fun and they do not run out of steam. My only beef is that this new Focus engine (which is branded Duratec) is a thirsty engine. In real world highway driving, I get better gas mileage from a V6 Chrysler or GM products. I got only 2-3 mpg better than a V6 Taurus. My 2 Japanese compacts get 30% better fuel economy than the Focus, depending on driving.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Automotive News is reporting that Ford will stick with the current platform through the 2007 model year redesign as well.

Hopefully it will look more like the upcoming European model
  • angliaanglia Member Posts: 5
    just returned from 5week/4200 mile trip. fuel average 30mpg running 75mph alot with AC on. Got 33mpg at 55mph in the Keys. only drawback to car at low speed is it surges with or without the air on. Acts like motor is under a load. them lets up with a little surge of power. The car is a 04 ZTS. Concerning the post on the rear fender liner. My dealer said they left it off the money reasons. Also has anybody checked out the front bumper facia. the left side has a bolt thru the inner fender. The right doesn't and u can shake it pretty good with ur hand comparded to the left. wonder what it does at high speeds. also putting the back seat down for long periods leaves big indentations in the seats. Im 6ft 4in and I had no problems with the back seat cushion being up against the front seat. had the seat all the way back. Afew little minor thing but i really like the car.
    It is worth $500. I got one for requesting an internet price quote. You can probably get one from the dealer too. Must take delivery by the end of September.
  • focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    That's a good coupon. It never hurts to request quotes. Thanks for the information.
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2001 focus SE with Zetec engine. Lately, when I go up-hill with a speed at 40mph to 50mph, I heard some noise. It sound like a shifing noise. It did not happen in the highway or city driving; only happen in up hill with 40-50 mph. The only way to make this noise go away is to speed up and make the car go faster than 60mph. The noise will go away with this speed.

I have checked the transmission and the fuild, they are fine. Is this happen because the way that I drive?

Anyone have experience this problem? Any information will help, thanks.
    Hey man if the engine is pinging, you might have got a tank of bad gas...try 89 octane for a couple of tanks.

Mark
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Two dealers have contacted me about a top dollar trade in on my 2000 Focus. Is this a Ford program (similar to GM loyalty) or just a local dealer connivance?
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    local
    Anyone hear about head curtain air bags becoming an option for Focus? Anyone know if the current side air bag option is for the chest only or does it cover the head as well?

Thanks.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    My 04 ZTS has the side airbags. If you look back in this section a short way, you'll see a discussion on it. I was asking the same thing around the middle of June.

Curtains were not available for '04 and prior years. With the limited changes for '05, I doubt they are available for this generation either. The side bags are in the front seats and are intended for torso protection in a side collision.
    Some mfgr's side seat air bags cover thorax and head...sounds like Ford's are just for the thorax.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Thanks. Looking at the postcard, the "Buy Back" was not connected directly to Ford. I shouldn't have been so suggestible.
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    I have put a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in the tank. After that, it drive smoothly, thanks.
  • koala_zkoala_z Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 03 foucus LX with only 10k miles on it, but after i drove it home i noticed that the "check engine", "engine oil" and "battery" warnings were on, anybody know what's wrong? should I do a oil change? but what about the battery sign? what should i do? Thank you!
    did you buy it at a dealer or privately?
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    It should be still under waranty...go to a dealer!
    whoa!!!

yes, its still under warranty, but if the engine light is not on for the right reasons, it will cost 1/2 hour of labor to have checked.
  • koala_zkoala_z Member Posts: 2
    I bought it from a dealer and it is still under warranty, but I just want to make sure if I can do something before going back to dealer.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

i would check the oil to make sure there is enough, then take it back to the dealer. it shouldn't cost you a penny to have it fixed. i would let them know you are not happy this happened as soon as you drove away with your car.

i have a question also. my '04 zts has a drain tube that empties just in front of the left front wheel. a little water comes out of it after i drive (it is water!). does anyone know what this is for?
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I'm not sure of the location you speak of, but it sounds like the fluid may be water from the air conditioning system. There is a drain tube extending from the unhood of the every car with A/C, but it's usually closer to the firewall and typically on the passenger side. Have you touched the fluid? Does it look like water or is it coloured at all?
    one thing i forgot to mention is that it has the 2.3 pzev engine. i have not been running the a\c. have a moonroof, so i just usually open that. it is water, as i posted earlier. i stuck a long thin piece of metal in there, so it is some kind of drain tube. i am mystified, but will ask (and post what i find out), when i bring it in for service.
    i had to defog the windshield and found the dial already was on defrost, which uses the a/c compressor. i share the car and only saw that the dial was all the way to one side. didn't touch or look at it too closely. all the was to the left is vent, all the way to the right is defrost.
    mystery of the drippping water solved.
  • dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    Local Ford dealer has several 04 SE 5 speeds left over that are nicely equipped with 2.3 (standard in NY) and several options to mimic the ZTS. I know the 05's have been out awhile, but to get a $16,700 car for under $12,000 seems too good to pass up. No moonroof, but I can get over that. I was wondering if the rear stabilizer bar (only avail on the ZTS) can be added to the SE? Will it make that much of a difference? Is this deal worth it or would I be better off considering the 05's? Styling not a major issue for me. More concerned with performance for the $.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Dan
    bought an '04 zts about 5 months ago. after 5k miles, the suspension seems a bit soft. i don't have a rear stabilizer bar. drove one with the sport package(loaner for another vehicle). handling was definitely tighter. thought maybe it was the 16" rims/tires, but it could have been a rear bar. the '04 came with a 100k powertrain warranty. this was a separate contract that i had to sign for, but the cost was waived. don't know if that is still part of the deal.
  • evolmootionevolmootion Member Posts: 8
    I'm interested in car that was previously used as a rental. I'm a little worried about the overall wear and tear. The seat fabric was a litle worn in, but I think I can get over that. And there is a stripe on the side.

Has anyone bought this car used before?
    Looking at a 2004 Focus Brochure, it shows the ZTS as having the rear stabilizer bar as standard equipment. Are you sure it's not there on yours?
    The Sport package seems to be mostly cosmetic, with the exception of the 16" rims/tires. Perhaps they do make a real difference.
    Did you notice the suspension softness early on or did it develop over the 5K usage?
    The 5 year/100K powertrain warranty is now standard too.

Thanks,
    Dan
    I have not bought a used rental before, but I would sure stay away from them. I've rented many a car before and I can honestly say I was never "easy" on any of them. Knowing it's not your car frees one to push the vehicle to its limits. Not knowing how a one owner car was broken in is hard enough for me to trust used. Not knowing all of those possibly careless renters makes it impossible for me to consider one.
    Hope this helps,
    Dan
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    ...and I'd buy it again. It has the 100,000 power train warranty, and it had 14,000 miles when I bought it. I even found a Budget map in a seat pocket! I just turned over 36,000 miles and have had no problems so far.
    My SE has the gutless engine that doesn't allow anyone to hurt anything with only 110 horsepower. Fortunately, the kick-butt MP3/CD premium stereo and crisp handling make up for the unimpressive power.
    your dealer blew smoke up your...well, you know...

there was no cost for it to begin with. its covered by ford. it is with a $100 deductible per repair.
    One thing that really changed for 05 is the Front Braking System. Larger rotors provide less wear/longer life and better brake feel. If you drive stick this might not be that noticeable.

I'd go for an 04 with the 2.3l engine but not for an 04 with the zetec.

Mark.
    The 5yr/100k miles powertrain warrenty is standard from the factory, its attached to the car and will come up with the VIN at any Ford Dealer. Its not something you had to sign for to get.

Mark
    ok. i went out in the dark with a flashlight and looked under the car. it DOES have a rear stabilizer bar, it's just tucked up at the top of the suspension, rather than lower, where you usually see them.
    regarding the 100k powertrain warrantee, i signed a separate contract for it, the cost was marked n\c. my car was built 10-03, maybe it wasn't standard at that time.
    the suspension has softened up, but i'm used to a truckier ride, so other may not notice.
  • evolmootionevolmootion Member Posts: 8
    I decided not to buy the rental. I really liked the car, but when I was at the dealer the manager told he salesman to "just get rid of the car". That worried me. After driving the Focus again there was a clicking noise coming from the back.
    I'm no thinking of getting an 05 new. Its just hard to match the features and the price of the used vehicle.
    Does anyone know if the rear sway bar from the ZTS can be installed on an SE?
    Will this make a big enough difference to justify cost (I am not handy enough to do this myself)?

I still have my eye on this 04 SE, but still on the fence.

Any comments would be appreciated,
    Dan
    no, man...we are telling you, the dealer, although harmless, lied to you about it. they wanted you to think it was some kind of outrageous deal that they were giving you, when it wasnt even their deal.

i bought mine in 9/03, and the 5/100 had been on all '03s from jump street in '02.
    i did my research and knew the 5/100 was part of the deal. i even asked about it because the sticker says 3/36. this was after the price had been agreed to. i could be wrong about the separate contract. i do have a brochure for the powertrain coverage that has 'free' written on it.

dsj...
    a zts comes with power windows, locks, cruise and tilt wheel. don't know if those are extra on an 'se', or if you care about them.
    I think in some states, they are giving you an extended service plan..florida is one of the states that a little different.

Either way, it should still come up with the VIN if you are at a different dealer and need to get warrenty work done.

Mark.
    thats a good point. florida and puerto rico are specified in the warranty literature to be somehow different.
    how about connecticut? :)
    connecticut is not one of them. florida and puerto rico only.
  • powder1491powder1491 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '05 ZX4 ST which, according to both the dealer and the brochure, comes with retained accessory power (letting you close the sunroof or windows after you shut off the ignition for a few seconds, as long as no door is opened).

To date, I haven't been able to make this feature work. Any suggestions or feedback from anyone on this? Am I doing or not doing something obvious?
    i think it's referred to as an extended service plan. does that make a difference? i'm not really worried about it, just curious.
    make sure you dont open the door. once the door opens, the retained power is shut off.
  • focusdrvrfocusdrvr Member Posts: 2
    Focus owners/operators: I drive a 2004 ZTW with the factory in-dash CD/MP3 sound system, a single disc CD player, made by Blaupunkt. In my opinion the owner's manual is not specific with regard to the clock display with the radio on in either AM or FM mode. With the radio on, the frequency of the station is seen at the top of the LCDisplay. A single press of the "clk" button at the top, right side of the unit will display the time where the frequency was for several seconds then return to the frequency. Is there not a way to lock the time to display instead of the freq? I have the status clock displayed in the lower left corner of the LCD but the much larger numbers seen when toggling between frequency/clk are easier to view. The dealership does not have an answer to my quesion. Thanks in advance for any advice. BTW, we took delivery of our ZTW in April and with two long road trips as well as in town use have logged 6k plus miles. So far trouble free, fun driving. If you have any questions about our experience with the ZTW post a msg and I'll respond.