Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Regal

Comments

• Options
    BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I recently noticed that at 80mph+, with sunroof and both front door windows open, I get the sound effect of a helicopter's fan blades coming from the back seating area (i.e. chop, chop, chop,...).
  • Options
    jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    :-) Chopper noise or not, it's a blast driving the GS! Love the engine>>>>>>>
  • Options
    pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I just got back from a business trip in Vermont and had a 2000 Impala for a rental. All I can say is no thanks, I am glade I bought the Regal. It had OK highway power but there was a low rumbling at 55mph and around 70mph it also shifted funny. I did like the seats better as they were more of a bucket than on the Regal but I was not impressed overall.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I am sure your rental was a 'Base' Impala with the 3400 V6 (180HP) and the base tires+suspension combo.

If you drive the LS version with all the goodies, 3800 Series II engine, sport suspension, better tires and quick ratio steering, I am sure your overall impressions would quckly change about this car.

A rental is not a 100% accurate picture about a car. The transmission on my new '01 Impala LS (Same exact unit as Regal LS) is one of the smoothest ever, period!. So that rental probably had some tranny problems in need of immediate attention.

I really like the Regal specially the GS model, But I enjoy my Impala LS even more.

Cheers!
  • Options
    drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Just got my new Car and Driver. They did a short take on the 2002 Acura TL-S. It did 0-60 in 6.2 sec. They last tested a GS a few years ago and it did it in 6.6. Has anyone raced a TL-S? If so, what happened.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    yurakm-

Wanna race? GS VS CL-S!!! LOL................

fastdriver
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    No
  • Options
    yurakm-

LOL.................. Me either!

fastdriver
  • Options
    At least do a stop light to stop light run:-) Bet that GS would surprise the TL. Especially with the performance shifting option that Yurakm has!
  • Options
    jackjt-

LOL... The CL-S has a 5-speed Sport Shift transmission.

fastdriver
  • Options
    I hate to admit it, but I think your CL-S might beat us! Though we'll never know:-) Bet that sport shift is fun; wish the GS had it.

Take Care
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    can be made up by a good driver in a heartbeat. Course if I were a betting man, I'd have to put money on the CL-S.
  • Options
    jackjt & obyone-

Who cares anyway. As long as they run ok and aren't at the dealer for repairs every 2 weeks. I don't race anyway- never did, even when I had that 1963 Chrysler 300 with 360HP many moons ago!

fastdriver
  • Options
    If I lived closer, I'd turn you into a racer:-)

Enjoy your machine!
  • Options
    jackjt-

I DOUBT it! I don't treat my cars that way. Besides, I hate to spend ANY money on them during the lease for things like tires, brakes etc.- just normal maintenance items only.

fastdriver
  • Options
    frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    From looking at the specs:

Weight: Even
    HP: TL has 20 more but at 1000 rpm higher
    Torque: GS has 50 more ft lbs at about same RPM
    Transmission: TL has 5 speed, GS 4.

Which one should be faster? I would guess that it is close, depending a lot on the individual car.

Of course, one could change the SC pulley on the Buick :-). Not recommended at sea level of course, but at 5000 ft above sea level....

Why can't these cars be had with a manual shift? If only the current gen Maxima looked nicer. If they do offer it next year with the 260 HP 3.5 liter with a stick, I might say bye bye to the Regal at the end of the lease.
  • Options
    The GS would really be a blast with a stick. We'll never see that!

Tell ya though a Maxima with the 260HP engine, stick would be tempting.....
  • Options
    aguyindenveraguyindenver Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone else had this problem? The climate control display on my '98 GS has faded to the point that it can't be easily read. Actually, the intensity of the display comes and goes - from nearly "normal," to almost completely dark! Mostly its pretty bad, with the left and right edges darker than the center.

I'm considering taking it to a dealer, but would be interested in hearing if anyone knows the cause/fix for the problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Dealers always point to the fact that manual trans are not as desirable and typically only order automatics for their lots. Likewise, manuals have lower resale and are not as desirable by the general masses in a sedan.

The solution is an auto with performance manual override, but too costly. Therefore, the only solution for the Regal is a shift kit. A tuned shift kit would negate any advantage of a competitor's stick, but would definitely change the character of drivability.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    doesn't the supercharger need premium gas? Also what other maintenance is needed on these cars?

Leo
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Pic
  • Options
    There was several postings on Edmunds board concerning the problem with the climate control display. Either on this board - the Buick board in the Sedan section - or on the "Buick Regal Problem" board in the "Maintenance & Repair" section.

As well as I remember what was reported, dealers are replacing the whole climate control unit under warranty. Very expensive solution: the unit costs $600(?). After warranty is expired, some dealers are replacing only the display itself. Less expensive: $100(?) or so.
  • Options
    Premium gas should be used for peak performance. I'm not sure what the manual says specifically. Anyone know? I always run the highest octane available in both my supercharged vehicles (other is a '98 Durango w/ 6lb Powerdyne cent. blower). You will definitely notice a difference when temps are higher.

Concerning maintenance, I assume you are refering to the supercharger. The only maintenance required is the periodic checking of the lubrication fluid. All other maintenance as a normal aspirated 3800.
  • Options
    Yes, the supercharged engine requires the premium gas, with octane number 91 or higher.

As well as I remember the manual, no unusual maintenance requirements. The supercharger oil level must checked and, if necessary, the special oil added every 30,000 miles (the usual time of big service). Preferably by a skilled mechanic, at dealership.
  • Options
    frankk-

There is talk in the acura-cl topic that there will be a 6-speed manual for the CL-S next year. Don't know how true it is. Give me an automatic anyday. Who wants to keep shifting unless you're 16 years old? Not me!

fastdriver
  • Options
    There are no skilled mechanics at the dealership!
    hehehe

BTW, I think you should race fastdriver, but you should switch cars. That would really make it interesting!
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I see that portholes will be returning to Buick - I think they were included on the La Crosse concept car and here they are again on the Regal. That's fine with me - makes Buicks easily identifiable again. The sweeping rear quarter panel is a nice touch too - and I think again a touch that Buick is returning to across multiple models.

Looks like a sweet car - pleasant styling that won't grate on anyone but may be accused of still being too conservative to bring in additional 'young' buyers. I wonder if the wheelbase is stretched - could be if it is placed on the new 'midluxe' platform.

Ken
  • Options
    At least they are experienced in performing standard service and standard repairs for specific makes / models.
  • Options
    mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Thought you would find this interesting... makes you wonder what they are thinking.

The supercharged Regal GS is electronically limited to a top speed of 108 m.p.h., a function of the speed rating of its tires.

But with Oldsmobile's Autobahn package, which includes tires with a higher speed rating, the Intrigue (no supercharged engine available) is capable of 124 m.p.h. before the electronic governor shuts you down.

Do they not think people buying a supercharged car would be the ones prefering the higher speed governer? and whats with the tires anyway, I hope they get with the program.
  • Options
    I would love to see what the redesign is going to look like...

thanks.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Nice looks but not that radically different from the current car. Is it FWD or RWD? Powerplants? Well its kinda hard to tell from a spy drawing...
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Just got my Motor Trend, July 2001 issue. In the news section where they highlight new models there is a small story on the Regal with a very small pic...smaller than the earlier post. It is OK, does not jump at you with any anticipation. The only mention of engine is that in '05 Regal gets a 3.4L overhead cam V-6 from GMs new line. No mention of power or GS model, other than all Regals will be 4 door (duh) and the Century will be dropped after the new Regal arrives.
  • Options
    No excitement in that design. Like the current design much better.

I had a 56 Buick Special with the portholes, don't need them in 2004!
  • Options
    frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    "Who wants to keep shifting unless you're 16 years old?"

How about most Europeans?

FWIW, its nice having an automatic after a long day at the office, but sometimes I just wish my GS had a stick. My previous car (Mustang GT) had a stick, and it was more fun to drive than the GS.

Granted, where I live we don't have any traffic jams. If I lived in a typical metropolis a stick would be an unlikely choice.
  • Options
    "At least they are experienced in performing standard service and standard repairs for specific makes / models."

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I can't speak for Buick mechanics because I haven't had to visit them, but as far as Dodge mechanics are concerned, most owners in the Durango club have more knowledge. There are repeated stories about owners telling the service depts. what the problem is, how to fix it, and the TSB that reports it because the mechanics have no idea.

I had this same experience with Mitsubishi mechanics when I had many problems with a Conquest. They did sloppy work, forgot basic principles, and always overcharged. I wouldn't even let them change my oil now.

I do all my own work that my tool set supports, and for everything else I use a private mechanic that has always done excellent work at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    frankk-

I didn't know we were talking about Europeans. Besides, if I had to pay $3-4.00 for a gallon of gas like they do in Europe, then I'd probably want stick shift too.

rcarboni-

It's MOST "5-STAR" Chrysler dealers who don't know what they're doing. At least that's the game they try to play.

fastdriver
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    My interest is peaking in Regal, probably looking a two year old one. How do they handle in the snow?

Leo
  • Options
    "My previous car (Mustang GT)..."

... just thought it was interesting frank - my previous car was also a Mustang GT! Makes me wonder if there's a pattern here, or at least some common rationale(?). For me, the availability of the supercharger was a significant part of why I went with the GS - very reassuring that I wouldn't have to get TOO far away from the power I was used to in the ole 'stang!

Of course other factors including safety, comfort, and cost (I bought used), were the big factors intellectually, but only the power generates that emotional tie.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to own an '88 New Yorker too, would you?
  • Options
    beechjet21beechjet21 Member Posts: 26
    I had the local dealership perform the 15,000 inspection on my GS. When I asked him to check the S/C oil level he told me that they advise against checking the level before 30,000 miles unless there is a sign of leakage. He said that there is a TSB stating this because of problems that they have had with debris getting into the oil from frequent oil level checks. Has anybody heard of this or is it B.S.?
    BMW: I was amazed how dirty the cabin air filter was after only 15,000 miles.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    check the link for the TSB's on the Regal:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/07/000708FD.html

I didn't see anything about the S/C oil, then again, I don't have an overactive imagination either.

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The intrigue's autobahn package has not been available since 1998. They have a pCS package which is similiar. I think the autobahn package cars were limited to 130 mph. Don't know what it is now.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    That 2004 Regal on that spy picture looks like a rice experiment on Camry went wrong.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I agree. The pic of the 2004 Regal looks more boring than the current Camry. If Buick wants to change its image, they need to reconsider that car. Especially seeing what Toyota's doing with the next Camry.

Camry pic 1

Camry pic 2

• Options
    nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    Had to have mine replaced on a 99 LS out of warranty. The charged me 50 bucks and showed it on the bill as an 800.00+ item. It takes about 10 minutes to replace it. The whole thing just plugs in. I think they know they have a problem with this part. There's no way these things should be wearing out so fast.
  • Options
    That first pic looks like they took some design cues from Saturn. The second reminds me of an Audi for some reason. At least they are trying to do something different.

I don't mind so much if Buick wants to be boring, so long as they improve the performance. If the power doesn't blow away most of the import sedans (as it does now), then the lower price loses all appeal.
  • Options
    Camry looks much sportier, taking some cues from the Solara no doubt. It would be ashame to drive that redesign with a 4 cylinder 100+HP engine. HA HA. Looking forward to seeing new regal design. Glad they are dropping the Century. Its embarrassing to pull up next to a Century with the grandparents driving it and having almost the same looking car, especially lots of them in FL!!! Let the grandparents drive an Oldsmobile, oh no wait... HA
  • Options
    Does anyone really believe Tiger Woods drives a Buick???

Give me $100 + Million and a free Buick and you would have the first dog house on wheels.

Not to knock my Buick but I can tell you with Tigers money there are many more rides I would be in before my GS!
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Easy, easy... :-)
  • Options
    hdeapohdeapo Member Posts: 2
    He somebody has to get groceries,right? I have a 2001 GS and love it drove to NY..(upstate)1250miles in 21hrs on stop except for fuel eats ect.and still was in pretty good shape when I got there except the GS and a deer.Ran over one on the NY.. Thruway,Got the old duct tape out and taped everything back together,drove it back to Arkansas and $1650.00 later it was all back tog-ether again. It's a great ride.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Its comforting to know that its a simple fix - maybe a dealer will be familiar with this and not try to charge me $800! Actually, I'm thinking of getting the part and putting it in mysef. I don't suppose it just snaps in from the front, does it?

"There's no way these things should be wearing out so fast."

Mine wore out fairly fast too, at about 26K miles. Granted, I bought the car used and past warranty, but it was frustrating since this was only a month or so after purchase. The battery was worse though - it died on me just 2 DAYS after purchase - now that was disconcerting!