Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• khobergkhoberg Member Posts: 4
    Its time to FINALLY get rid of those wonderful Goodyears that came stock on my '99.

I have a question for those who have put new tires on their Regals - what brand and type have you installed? Do you like them?

Thanks in advance!
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I haven't swapped my 2000 GS tires yet, but hope to do so in the next 6 months or so. I have been looking at the Nitto NT-450 in a 235/55 R16, or the Yokohama AVS in a stock 225/60. Both are around $100 a tire. I think the Nitto would look better, and both would perform well above the stock GY's.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone put Michelins on their Regal?

Which ones?

Impressions???
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    Are you insane? I really like my Black GSE, but it definitely does not need to be any more generic looking. Look at the new Maxima. 255Hp and a sporty looking exterior. That is the direction Buick should have gone. Oh well, what can you expect from a company that takes the ugliest vehicle ever created (Pontiac Aztec) and builds an offshoot of it (Buick Rendezvous).
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    The Intrigue uses the same Badyears as the Regal. I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot XGT H4. You will definitely notice a difference! If you live in a region where you get pretty much all 4 seasons, this is a good tire. Excellent in the snow and rain. Traction is fabulous. Much more confidence inspiring in the rain than Goodyear. Ride quality was better also, IMO.

Highly recommend them.
    I put Michelin X-ones on my previous Regal. They changed the handling completely on both wet and dry roads from the previous GoodYear GSA's. I had much more confidence on tight curves with the X-ones. There was a particular highway off-ramp that I drove every day, and when it was wet, the GSA's would break loose at slightly higher speeds. The X-ones never broke loose even at higher speeds. Excellent all-weather tire.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    Wheeeeee.....

Can't wait for those badyears to wear out.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    After getting another slow leak in one the Goodyears, I was wondering about replacement tires. I'm not wondering any more. Thanks for the advice.
  • khobergkhoberg Member Posts: 4
    Badyears! I love it!

I was looking at the Michelin X-1 tires as well. I have heard good things about them in addition to your input, rcarboni. Thanks!

lkohn, I had a slow leak in one of my tires as well. It ended up being a bad valve stem. Since having it replaced they have held are OK.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I was browsing over in the Impala forum and came across this post:

Interesting 2001 Montecarlo SS performance modifications. The link is:

http://www.thrasher-ep.com/Monte_Carlo_htm/monte_carlo.shtm

It talks about the same things you want in the new Regal (intercooled SC 3800), except the HP gains are a lot more than 300. Check it out!

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Well, they probably pushed the engine a bit too far. I'd rather avoid such consequences (see picture):

http://www.thrasher-ep.com/L67_htm/GSX_piston_blown.shtm

According to their explanantion, the pistons are not strong enough:

http://www.thrasher-ep.com/tech_htm/FAQ.shtm#16.

By the way, the dyno measured power of the car is (was?) about 309hp at the wheels. 370 hp is their estimations of power on crank, before transmission, etc.
    Thrasher also pointed out that the GS was used as a test car for nitrous and other mods. Who knows whether one of those "tests" had previously weakened the piston. That car took a lot of abuse!
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    A factory buick with NOS, now that will change the demographic !!!
    I missed that. It sure looks like the pistons needed to be stronger to withstand all the extra modifications they made. Now I wonder if our '00 Regal GSE is going to hold up over the next 4 years. Buick claims the L67 engine parts are supposed to be stronger than the ones in the L36. I'm glad I bought the extended warranty.
    I am reasonably sure that the stock GS engine will last for long years. Much longer than all the seals, gaskets, bushings and/or electric parts and electronics.

Trasher mods included replacing intake, exaust (headers and the pipe), boring/polishing heads, installed intercooler, cold air kit and very small pulley. And they still are not afraid to repeat this experiment again, this time with Monte Carlo. Engine, transmission, axles, etc. were transplanted from GTP or GS before modifications.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FYI and FWIW... Last week I took my car in for minor warranty issues. As I was chatting with the service tech, I asked him to honestly tell me how many times he's had to service the supercharger. His reply was that he can count on one hand how many times he's done major service on an Eaton supercharger (which is what sits in the GS). He added that this goes as far back as 1994 when he first started working on Buicks (I think Buicks have been supercharged since 1992).
    But what I found more interesting was that he said GM/Buick/Eaton superchargers are warrantied for 7 years/70,000 miles. I questioned him repeatedly on this new-found fact. He took me to the service manager of the dealership to verify the information and sure enough, he backed it up: 7 years/70,000 miles. The manager said that it is not a warranty that GM publicizes. Still doubtful, the manager took me to a '99 Gran Prix being serviced that had 69,700 miles on the odometer. On the job ticket, it stated that the supercharger was being replaced under warranty (I do not know the circumstances behind why it was being replaced. I did notice the Yokohama tires on the car were nearly bald). I told him for all I know, this could be an extended warranty on the car covering this replacement. He dug deeper in the job jacket to show me documentation from Buick's parts division that sure enough, it was a replacement covered specifically under the 7/70 warranty. Still with doubts, I put a call into Buick's customer care division. I'm wating for a returned call to verify of the 'extended' supercharger warranty.
    So...has anyone else known of this 'extended' supercharger warranty or have I just been in the dark about this?
    As Colonel Klink would say, I find this information '...verrry interrresting!'.
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    I had no idea either that the warranty is covered 7/70 for the supercharger. I passed on the extended warranty on the car when I purchased it used in April. Now, I don't feel so bad. Actually, as long as you check the supercharger oil before the 30, 000 mark you should be fine. As some people have said that it was low and it almost took the full bottle of supercharger oil.
    Since we are talking maintanence here, any suggestions on spark plugs to get better performance?? I am from the old school of maintanence, plugs and trans service at 25, 000. I don't buy this 100,000 mile interval they claim with plugs and transmission. Any suggestions would be helpfull.
    Thanks! That's good to know. I'm going to print out your post, and store it in the glove compartment for safe keeping (in case something were to happen to the SC in our '00 Regal GS).
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Rcarboni,

I own a 1998 GS with almost 25,000 miles on it. It's been in my driveway about two months with no problems to report (other than the "low tire" light having a tendency to get overexcited at times).

I'm interested in making some changes to wring more power out of what Buick/GM gave us. I'll admit upfront I'm not a mechanic and wondered if you have personally tried doing the adjustments you talked about, or do you know someone who has?

If anyone else has made a few modifications and has good/bad news to report, feel free to pass it along!!

Thanks
    That "low tire" light is the bane of Regal owners everywhere! You know you need it, but hate it when it goes on.

I am spending most of my time right now building a Dodge 5.9 V8 - .030 over pistons, rods, heads - the works. So, I have been pouring little attention over the GS.

I have replaced the stock air box with an MSP (Motor Sports Performance) intake. Yes, this is a VERY good place to start! Really woke the engine up I think. I also use Amsoil synthetic 0w-30, which many believe is good for a few horses. I definitely think these engines run better on synthetic.

My next two mods are probably going to be the pulley and the thermostat. The GTP guys seem to like these two changes quite a bit. If you want a lot of performance opinions, you should check out the GTP club forums on the net. I think one is clubgp.com. Also, the grandprixstore.com and ultimatewarriorracing.com have lots of performance parts.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Actually, on several cars in the past few years I have gone thje full 60,000 on plugs etc. so Iwould feel very comfortable with at least 75,000 on these plugs. Also, with synthetic ATF I would not be too concened about the coolant either.

Maintenance, quality if manufacturing have changed so much over the years that other then oil changes which can also be extended, not much needs to be done in 100,000 miles
    You wrote: with synthetic ATF I would not be too concened about the coolant

What is relation between ATF and the engine coolant (antifreeze)? Or it is just typo?
    Coolant is 5 years 150,000 as you know, ATF on mine is 50,000 severe, 100,000 normal.

Over the years with maintenance recommendations being extended the service dept revenue is not doubt going down so the only item left that a owner has to return to a service dept for on a periodic basis is oil changes. Now with indicator lights, synthetic oil, that (oil change) is going the extended route as well so we have service depts sending out notices, change your oil every 3000 etc even though the manual says no such thing, manual says wait for the light to come on. Every service dept of every manufacturer I know of will say well, due to the severe climate we live in etc.e tc. Problem is they say that whether you live in Maine, Fla, Ca, MI or TX. Just drumming up revenue.
    Performing a L.O.F on a car is the cheapest insurance you can buy. Forget what the manual says and base your decision on experience. I've had cars go 200,000 + miles with no oil-related troubles by changing the oil every 3 - 4,000 miles (that's with 60% hwy driving). If you driving is mostly city, LOF at 3,000 miles. If you use synthetic, I'd go 7,500 between changes. But my experiences are based on conventional motor oil.

As stated, just my opinion based on life experiences.
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Member Posts: 14
    Please help me, guys. I bought a '98 Regal LS partly based on the positive posts I read on this site, and mostly on the recommendation of my independent mechanic (who said the 3800 II was one of the best engines GM has ever made). My wife and I just took our first trip in the car and we felt EVERY bump in the freeway. Very unpleasant. We were three hours on the road and had a bad case of "trip-fatigue" when we got home. My wife said, "so much for the great Buick ride, and the so-called 'gran touring suspension'." Since this was my choice of cars, I was defensive, but had to agree. What gives? It's very responsive (I like that), but is this the price one pays for responsiveness? I just had the tires rotated, balanced, and the front end aligned. Could it be that the suspension needs some kind of adjustment? (never heard of that, if so) Could it be the tires (original Goodyears), as post #1355 might suggest? The car only has 17500 miles on it, and was thoroughly checked out by my mechanic before I purchased it (he spent three hours on it). Any clues/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    If you really have an LS with the Grand Touring suspension, it my be a bit rough. Especially depending on what you drove prior. Maybe just maybe you have too much air in your tires?

Compared to other "sporty" cars, the GS ride is quite good.
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, "jackit"...that might be it, although I don't know why the tire guys that did the rotation would have over-inflated the tires. I'll check the pressure. My previous car was a 1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 with a very nice ride.

Anyway, anyone else got any thoughts on this problem (see post #1375)? I appreciate your input!
    While visiting my in-laws I passed a gas station that had a beautiful Grand National for sale. The exterior was in pristine condition. If they took care of under the hood as well as the body, it's a good machine. I kept thinking about what I could do without to get car.

Ohhhhhhhhh, it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Too bad I won't have it.
    While visiting my in-laws I passed a gas station that had a beautiful Grand National for sale. The exterior was in pristine condition. If they took care of under the hood as well as the body, it's a good machine. I kept thinking about what I could do without to get that car.

Ohhhhhhhhh, it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Too bad I won't have it.
  • scooter50scooter50 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Buick Regal GSE. From day one it has a rattle which seems to come from the rear seat courtesy light/handle assembly on the driver's side. I've opened the assembly twice and placed felt pads on all parts which appear capable of making contact, but to no avail. It's particularly annoying as it's about as close to my left ear as a rattle can get. Anyone lick this one?
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    From Road & Track Oct'01
    Black Stock Regal GNX S.C. 300-bhp
    hood has a power dome...looks much like current grandprix??? With 18" Wheels...is this possible???
    I think this car should be called GSX not GNX!!!
    Here's what I don't understand...
    Regal's sister car Grand Prix will become G8. A 5.7 V-8 @ 350-HP with VERSATRACK all wheel drive...WOW!!! With 19"(255/40ZR-19) tires...is this possible???
    Why can't the next generation GN have this package???
    I'm by no means an expert on the old Grand Nationals and GNXs from the mid-'80s, but they were Regals. However, they were turbocharged not supercharged. So I think the R & T article probably meant to say Regal GSX, and not GNX. Anyway, Buick did build a Regal GSX a few years ago. I think they put a smaller pulley on the SC, modified the air intake, and installed dual a exhaust system that increased the HP from the stock 240 to about 300 or so. I think it only shaved about 0.2-0.3 seconds off the 0-60 time.
    I forgot to mention that there is a topic for the Grand National in the Classics forum. It sounds like Pontiac might be replacing their soon to be discontinued Firebird with the new "G8" you mentioned. There were rumors the new Grand Prix would be redesigned and outfitted with the LS1 engine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Buick did the same thing with the Regal GS. I really think Chevy will be bringing back the Impala SS with a shoehorned LS1, or the supercharged 3800.
  • deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    i have a wonderful 99 regal gs...have put michelin pilot xgt z4 series tires on it. what an unbelievable difference it makes from those lousy goodyear eagle LS tires....but i digress.

i was wondering why the regal no longer has the ability to program a performance mode for the shift points. the 99 has a button on the shifter that allows one to go into either a standard mode or performance mode.

does anyone know why they got rid of this function? was it a cost reduction, or do they have a more sophisticated transmission algorithm for shifting.

just curious. i leave the car in performance mode and it shifts crisply and is much more responsive.

my plans are to go with a more free flow air filter and pulley mods.

also, one more question...does anyone have any experience disabling the magnasteer in order to get better road feel? i only know of one person who has done it and they said it was a very worthwhile mod.

thanks,
    jammer
    HA!
    I have a 2000 GSE and have tried many times to feel a difference in the shifitng or even RPMs it shifts at in either mode. I can find, see, feel absolutely no difference in the performance mode when it is on or off.

A true waste of a feature on my model!

As top ride, not bad but stiff and one would expect is stiff it would handle well. Handles like a Mack truck on corners but it could be the tires. Overall engine tranny good but handling leaves a lot to be desired especially compared the the Maxima SE it replaced. That car rode and handled well.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I replaced a noisy and worn out alternator belt the other day. It cost me abut $40 and took about 45 minutes. The hardest part was fishing it back in around all the pulleys. I was kind of suprised that it wore out that quickly, my car only has 44k on it. Oh well at least it wasn't the alternator and its nice and quiet again.
    I agree that in my 2000 GS, I see/feel very little or no difference in either mode. Of what little I detect, its usually when driving aggressively in performance mode -the upshifts are more pronounced. But that doesn't means I'm getting anywhere quicker. It was wise for Buick to get rid of it for the 2001 model year.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I read in MT magazine a month or two ago aboyut the 2004 Regal and ther was no mention of models. There was no mention of a Supercharged version only that the base engine would more then likely be an all new 3.5 DOHC powerplant, I cannot find the issue though. I remember I was not impressed.
    The warranty issue is interesting. It will be interesting to see what Buick corporate says.
    I remember asking my service tech at Pontiac whom I knew well and the Bonneville has been using the same supercharger for years and years, longer than Buick. He said in the many years he has worked their he did 3 or so if he even remembers that many. He said that maintaining the oil level is critical.
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    I have to agree with "deibs", I also notice a significant difference in PERF SHIFT mode.
    My '98 GS downshifts more willingly AND holds each up-shift longer when in this mode.
    Maybe there is a fault in the system on those cars where very little difference is felt???

GM should have left this feature on.... To "deibs" thanks for the comments on the
    michelin pilots... I'm shopping for new tires & was considering the Firestone SH30's... what
    to do now?... you sound so excited about the pilots!! Did you go with the same size as your Goodyears??
    Thanks
    to: pacinpelo

you mention that oil level in the Supercharger is critical... anyone know the correct
    way to check the oil level? Does this oil ever need to be changed?
    Your manual describes how to check the oil level of your supercharger. I think the manual says to change the oil at 70,000 miles (or 7 years). But a Buick technician said it is wiser to do so at 50,000 miles - especially if you live in the 'stop and go' world of Los Angeles, Boston, etc. Cost is about $150 to have your Buick service department change the oil.
    I check mine at every oil change and have had to add oil twice with 45K on the clock. To check it you remove the filler bolt with an allen wrench and the oil should come up to the bottom edge of the opening. I also notice a big difference in performance shift mode, but I usually have a heavy right foot.
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    The 300 hp GNX, and the grand prix G8 (v8, all wheel drive, manual transmission equipped grand prix!), are just performance concepts. One-offs built by GM as what-ifs. I think they're basically show off cars meant to generate interest. An exec probably made a comment to the effect that they might see production, which is probably true, with the intent of then judging reaction. Both are far from production. Maybe if enough people showed interest ... (I've already emailed GM to encourage them to build both, for what it is worth)? Of the two, I'd imagine that the Regal GNX would have the best shot at seeing production. Less retooling required to produce what is basically a tweaked version of a car already in production. I don't know, though. In the usual good, better, best strategy of pricing models, the GNX would be priced over the GS. In order to make it profitable, that would probably push it well into the $30k range. How much of a market exists for a $30k+ Regal? Maybe ... if it conjures up images of the old GNX.

By the way, R & T did mean to call it GNX, not GSX, even though it is supercharged and not turbocharged like the production Regal GNX. I believe the GNXs (production from 80's and new one-off) both make about the same horse power, and the Regal GNX holds a special place in Buick fans' hearts, so the one-off modern GNX is playing off of that. There was an article in Motor Trend about both, along with a specially tuned Intrigue (part of OSV - Oldsmobile Specialty Vehicles). I can look up what issue if there's interest. Word was that the OSV Intrigue, along with an OSV Alero were close to production, but then Olds got the axe. Too bad.

By the way, I notice a considerably difference switching between the performance and normal transmission modes with my 99 Grand Prix GTP.
    pinetted: thanks for the info on the supercharger.....

To all who participate in this forum: I presume most of you are Americans and I
    just want to express my most heartfelt sympathy for your fallen comrades during this
    time of unbelievable sadness. We in Canada are proud & grateful to be your neighbors
    and friends & believe me we feel your pain and anger at this despicable act of terror.
    The USA stands in our world as an Icon for freedom & justice & despite what has
    happened, this has NOT changed. I'm sure that now the rest of the free world realizes
    how important these basic rights are and will certainly stand with you to protect and
    preserve them!
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    My wife hit a pothole and the Buick "badge" on the spoked aluminum wheel lug nut "cap" came off. Is there a good online site where things like this can be ordered?

Thanks
    Did everyone go to another forum?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    try

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

While it isn't really GM that you're buying from, they sell their parts way cheaper than your dealer would. Even with the air freight, they beat my local dealer by at least 20 percent. If you don't know the part number (which most of us don't) email them with a detailed description and they will reply with a part number that you can verify using their search feature. Good luck.
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    Here are 4 more photos of the 2004GNX...

http://www.supercars.net/SDBQ?y=2000&m=Buick&o=Regal GNX Concept

Here are few things I DON'T like about this car:

Remove the front Strut Brace and place a chrome version as found in Grandprixstores.

Remove Air Filter and place less restrictive unit as in thrasher or performancemotorsport version.

Remove the non-functional crapy hood/side ports as they seam to be designed ONLY for cosmetic use!!!

Remove PCM Card and place a more aggressive unit

PAINT the bottom half to the car and forget the old two tone throw back of the T-Types.

Surrender these cars to McClaren and let them MODIFY the next generation GNX!!!

Only time will tell if current Buick designers foresee/forget the performance leaps of the past GNX. It's sad to think what awaits Buick. What would I like to see...

manual 5-speed,new chassis,better CAM, maybe liberate a V-8 Norstar engine from it's cousin???

Would would you like to see???

Here is what I like about this car:

300-HP GNX!!!