Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I recall seeing this car at the L.A. Auto Show. I wasn't too impressed with the car. Just too much overkill (cosmetic and otherwise). It reminded me of a bad hair day for Tammy Faye Baker.
    If someone wants to add some flair to their Regal, add some 245/50/17 tires on the standard rims for marginally better handling. Under the hood, use a smaller pully for an added 20-30 hp & torque. You can also install 12.1" disc brakes to replace the existing 10.9 (reduces stopping from 70 MPH by 20 feet).
    But you must truly get with the program. The car was designed to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. If you're looking for flare and the desire to add aftermarket products, trade in you GS for a Gran Prix GTP.
    Afterthought: The GS in its current state is a radical departure by Buick to mass produce a supercharged car. It is highly unlikely to see the 2004 Regal to w/ a supercharger; especially with the Century line being discontinued. What you will most likely see is Pontiac becoming more performance oriented (more so then they are now) and Buick taking up some of the Oldsmobile demographic (family of 4 with a $40-$45K income). Buick's current $$$ demographic is near $58,000.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    If Oldsmobile (Intrigue?) is for families with $40-$45K income and Buick(Regal) is for $58,000 income, what are driving those who make $80-100-120K and more? Cadillac?

I have a very vague idea about incomes of people around. You know, Americans are rather secretive in this respect, and immigrants catch the culture fast too. However, the few better-off families whose income range I know do not drive Cadillacs.

A family with $150+K income have two 4-cylinder Honda Accords. A family with $200+K have two Olds 88. A single Wall Street programmer drives Mitsubishi Galant. A senior manager, VP of a high-tech company in Boston, drives Subaru. Another high-rank Boston engineer with PhD from Caltech drives Mitsubishi GT-3000 with mileage approaching 200K; his wife, a doctor, drives Mercury Sable.

I also know one man who invented not relevant what exactly, and made a real fortune, several millions. The last time I saw him, his wife drove Mercedes, but he was driving Jeep.

Well, all of them are immigrants from Russia or other former Soviet respublics, mostly of Jewish descent - the same as my family. Probably we are not typical.

However, the president of our laboratory, who also is a full professor in a leading state university, drives Olds Alero. Another leading scientist in our lab, who is also a full professor in an expensive private university, drives an older Ford Excort wagon. Probably 91 model or so. A third scientist and professor (at Yale, not less) drives Honda Accord. Etc., etc. All of them are American in several generations.

In reallity, I know (well, know somewhat) only one man who have a relatively new Cadillac. Eldorado. Our neighbor in apartment complex. He is a high-skilled plumber, and does emergency repairs every second nights.
  • dremeliusdremelius Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2001 GS in February and absolutely love the car. I am looking for a dash cover and have come across Coverking, Covercraft and Dash Mat. Does anyone have experience with these or know of another prefered brand? What about carpet vs velour?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You'd be surprised what that plumber makes doing those emergency calls. Its pretty much a blank check...cause if they don't want to pay it...well you know what happens...

As for the rest that you've mentioned, and not to stereotype but they have more important things on their minds as it relates to what their occupations are and not with what they are driving. Like they say, you don't know what you're missing till you've tried it. Some of them may need to get out more often. Ever seen what a bank president drives, or successful attorneys, and even doctors. Well a lot of doctors drive Buicks so that their patients don't think they are being overcharged...hehe.

Needless to say, among our circle of friends, only one drives a '00 Park Avenue and that's because he does a lot of work for the Buick dealership as he owns a repair shop. His other vehicle is a '99 Camaro SS and a '00 Tahoe. Other professions tend to enjoy their vehicles. By what you've stated. The types you describe, obviously do not with the exception of the wife that drives a MB.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I had the change to drive a 98 M3 on Sunday. Nice car, very tight and solid even for a convertable. It made me miss having a performance car with a manual transmission.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    it sounds like you know a lot of geeks who don't know what a good car is :)

Seriously some people hate cars but still have to have them in order to get around. They buy Honda Accord and Totyota Camry.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    You've got the best car of anyone you know, buddy!! Do they all ask you to drive?

Ken
    Read between the lines of my post. I'm just conveying (and giving personal interpretation) of public information on GM's target demographics.

Your basic college economic classes and statistical analysis courses convey the importance of demographic targets for large corporations such as GM.

Enough about that. I still think the 2000 GNX Regal is overkill.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Thank you!

Bushwack: I did not read your posting between lines; it was just a honest misunderstanding.

Now I see that my personal impressions are rather different from the GM goals. Of course, GM must know much better. No doubts they used scientific statistical methods, with a big sample of customers.

Ruski: you told I know a lot of "geeks". This is a gross understatement. In reality I cannot remember a single successful professional or family who does not fit your definition.

However, no one of them hate cars. Most of them like to drive. Cars simply have low priority comparing to other interests. Additionally, all of them value the reliability higher than performance, and most value reliability higher than comfort.

By the way, you mentioned Camry and Accord. It happened somehow that my friends and colleagues do not own a single Camry. At least I cannot remember. Accords are popular, but not overhelmingly.

Tpken: well, I also have impression that my Regal is the best cars around. On the other hand, my second car, a Chevy Malibu, probably is not. Any case, I like driving the both cars.

Frankly, I would prefer to stand out in my skills and professional results, not in what car I bought. Fortunately, nobody around pays any attention to this matter. And, of course, nobody asked to drive my car.

Obyone: I have some idea that a skilled emergency plumber makes good money. Both because his customers cannot shop around, and because he have a difficult life. How many people work every second night?

Have no idea what bank presidents typically drive. Only once occasionally was at headquarters of a medium-size regional bank, with some $12 billions in assets. The president of this bank had a very nice Olds Aurora, parked on a reserved place near elevator.
    Tow truck and cab drivers come to mind. Also, police and fire department. Not to mention the military. Don't think any of these make as much as a plumber on an emergency call. Course now a brain surgeon making an emergency operation......
  • olekolek Member Posts: 11
    when car is on idle
    the tachometer indicator is jumping up and down 50-100 rev each 3-10 seconds.
    It is really small movement - but noticeable (1-2 milimiters).

Is that normal or not ?

Also I have slightly rough idle. each few seconds car shakes a little
    (canbe felt easily thru steering wheel). Is that normal ?

Car info: Buick Regal GS 1998 / 30k

Did anybody seen that on their Regal ?
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for the link to gm parts direct. Maybe I did something wrong, but the only buick vehicles listed were park avenue and lesabre, the regal is not listed. I probably could have e-mailed them what I needed but I didn't. I did find this site: http://www.gmotors.com/?clicktrade=82224 and after submitting my VIN was given a quote for the part I need within an hour at less than half what my local dealer wanted and it is on the way. Again thanks!
    that looks like an interesting site. Think I'll compare some prices. I was looking into ordering a fuel filter. It priced at $10.95 plus shipping which was $9.95 for a total of $20.90. Local dealer wants $22.95. Guess I may be checking Napa or Checkers tomorrow.
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    is a miss in the engine which occurs at the same time that your tach moves because the tach measures rpms which are affected by the miss. Does it miss when your driving and apply a little pressure to the accelerator? I had to have plugs put in my 99ls at about 50,000. My miss is back and it may be plug wires. The worse case scenario is fuel pump problems.
  • rsurwilorsurwilo Member Posts: 10
    Around June I e-mailed the Buick web site and asked them what happened to the online store that used to offer Buick merchandise. I got a note saying that the store would be back online in July. Well, that never happened. I e-mailed back and asked what gives? I got a nice note back apologizing for the delay and offering to send me a Buick merchandise catalog by snail mail. Got the catalog and it has some really nice logo stuff - Buick hats, T-shirts, jackets, sweaters, pens, etc. Sixteen pages in all.

Ordered a hat and T-shirt and was very pleased. Reasonable prices. Best of all - both made in USA. Not that made in China crap.

All merchandise is generic Buick though. Nothing offered that allows us to tout our beloved Regals.

Catalog was mailed from:

Brennen & Howard, Inc.
    1130 Tienken Ct. Suite 120-C
    Rochester Hills, MI 48386
    No phone given.

But the merchandise is actually ordered from:

American Identity, Inc.
    1-800-793-9834

Not sure which of the two to ask for the catalog. Or you could try sending an e-mail at the www.buick.com web site.
  • deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    Hey Bush,

You wrote some time ago.....

I'll get you the part number tomorrow. The info is in my Palm Pilot...which is buried somewhere under paperwork on my desk in my office. The part number for the unit includes the harness; which is basically an adapter that splits off from the existing harness that leads to the changer. Just make sure your radio is designated as having CODE UPO (if it's a Monsoon system, it is CODE UPO).

Do you have the part nums. Could you be so kind to forward to [email protected]

thanks dude,
    happy 99GS owner....will.....
    Hello Evize,

Sorry I didn't get back to u sooner.

I went with the same tire size....the XGT Pilots are such an incredibly wonderful performing tire. When I do lane changes at 90-100 MPH, I have total confidence. There is no float or sidewall flexure.

The tires are not as quite as a touring tire, but the additional road noise is relatively minor. The car still has the "quiet" buick ride.

I'm about to add some stabilizer bars front and rear and will report back to the group.

I'm glad folks have been pointing out Rick Tolan's website. Rick has been very helpful when I've asked him questions. He's taken a very systematic approach to dealing with his regal mods, and is quite knowledgeable about what is possible with this ride.

As regards performance vs. shift mode, yes...there is SIGNIFICANT difference, if you drive the car the way I do....which is very aggressive.

I take care of my GS...but I work it hard. And it's dusted many a BMW and Lexus in the Silicon Valley........
    Dremelius,

I have a dashmat....gray which really nicely matches my light grey 99GS interior.

The fit is first class, and does a great job with the california sun.

I just wish there was a little more tinting of the glass in the regal. it is one hot car in the california sun.

hope this helps.

deibs
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Appreciate the info , deibs, you've sold me on the XGT's. Just so happens they just went on sale at my local Sears store..... think I'll pay them a visit!

Just had my battery go dead on me.... no warning at all!! All of a sudden it would'nt hold a charge. The first time I boosted the car it would'nt stay running, the battery was so flat.

to all: Shop around before you buy a Delco battery, dealers are expensive and the original Delco only lasted 3 years. Unfortunately, the problem occured late in the evening & dealer
    was my only option..... 180 Cdn $$$ later I was back on the road.
    I was fortunate that Price-Costco carried them and had a Michelin sale. I paid $124 USD a piece, and that included mounting/balancing.

The Pilot XGT Z4 or XGT H4 (rated to 130MPH)are a great compromise. They are good in the wet, by the way.

If your pocketbook is limited, the H series is still a great tire.

best,
    deibs
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Hello all,
    For those that have sunroofs what are you using to protect the strip around the roof when closed. I have noticed some dryness/fading.

Thanks.

P.S. Counting down miles to move away from the Badyear LS tires...
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I'll be interested in hearing what people are using on that rubber seal strip around the sunroof. Just waxed my 01GS and noticed that the strip is faded?? Was a bit dissappointed to see it.
    Can you recommend a quality wax for the GS's base/clear coat paint. Winter's coming and I want to wax my '98 GS soon. What did you use??
    Forget about waxing as you know it. Read about Zaino in the TOWN HALL forum (Maintenance and Repair----> Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences) and then go to their web sit at <http://www.zainobros.com/>.

Zaino is by far the easiest to apply and maintain and gives you the best shine possible. If you're truly anal about your car's shine, "Zaino heads" will tell you to clay your car before applying Zaino. I started using Zaino a couple weeks after buying my car (which sat new on the dealer's lot for many winter months prior) without claying and the car has a terrrrrrific shine! You may want to clay your car seeing that it is 3 years old and I do not know what condition the paint is in. But no matter the route you go, Zaino will give you the best shine possible. It is very easy to apply and even easier to maintain the high gloss shine throughout all four seasons.

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    zaino
    Today I had the first opportunity to open the sunroof since March (S Fla weather finally cooperates) and noticed upon closing it got stuck half way. I let go of the button and pushed it again and it closed all the way. I did an open/close test 3 times and it happened only once.
    Has anyone had trouble with their sunroofs. I somehow knew this may have been my first challenge.
    Hello again Bushwack,

You wrote some time ago.....

I'll get you the part number tomorrow. The info is in my Palm Pilot...which is buried somewhere under paperwork on my desk in my office. The part number for the unit includes the harness; which is basically an adapter that splits off from the existing harness that leads to the changer. Just make sure your radio is designated as having CODE UPO (if it's a Monsoon system, it is CODE UPO).

Do you have the part nums. Could you be so kind to forward to [email protected]

thanks bushwack,
    happy 99GS owner....deibs.....
  • ronny_55ronny_55 Member Posts: 7
    I have been using something called 5 way penetrant by 3M corp, it comes in a large approx 16oz. spray can. I apply it about every other month ot so.

I just spray some of it on a clean dry cloth and apply it rather liberally to all of the rubber seal. I have found that it keep it supple and flexible as well as looking new.

It works for me here in central Arkansas and I use the sunroof quite frequenty.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Funny you should mention sunroofs! Mine was acting exactly like yours back in July. Finally, in mid-August, it stopped very near the closing point. I panicked because it was a cloudy day. I finally got the motor to run, got out, reached through the window, and pushed the roof as I held the button down. It finally closed. It rained that night. I called the dealer the next day and he said the "module" was probably running on its last legs. The parts department ordered me a new one. It arrived a week later, and they installed it. Fortunately it was covered by my extended warranty. It only cost me a $100 (my deductable). Otherwise, it would have been $500 for the module + 4 hours labor ($300), for a total of $800.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Used Meguier's Gold Class --- worked well with a good shine. Heard that Zaino is better, but it costs a bundle and you have to go thru a number of steps to apply it. One or two coats of Gold Class is fine by me!

No Sunroof problem to date....
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I also use Collintie carnuba wax and # 26 and Gold Class. These only last about 3 months and if not taken off quickly and if you do avoid rough plastic (leaves white residue) it is okay and very hard to remove in sunlight.

Zaino, two steps but done together and first step does not have to be wiped off. Very easy to apply , very easy to remove even in sunlight, lasts considerably longer then anything I have ever used to date. Cost, yep, for the two products needed with shipping about $25. If you can afford a Buick Regal you can afford $25 or about $15 more then Gold Class and # 26, same as Collinite. Supply is enought for many many many applications.

I am the true cynic but this stuff is incredible
    to find out if there is a local distributor in your area. Will save you on shipping and waiting. Sal responds quickly and most likely will have a distributor in your area.
    Thanks.
    I will closely watch mine. WOW 4 hours labor for the sunroof module, how in the world do they change it?!?!

Chalk one up for the benefits of an extended warranty...which I have. But only have 16 K.
  • 93saturnsl193saturnsl1 Member Posts: 27
    Help! We have a '91 Regal GS with 110k that is sucking gas like it's going out of style. It's in perfect shape mechanically, body, and interior wise... just gets about 14mpg with everyday driving, and managed about 18 on the highway without using the a/c one time. It has the 3.8L(not Supercharged) that's in numerous GM cars; I know some people with that engine that normally get 300mi+ per tank, and this one is sucking fumes around 200mi or so. I've put new plugs/wires/pcv valve/air filter/fuel filter on it and also cleaned the throttle body, yet no improvement. Any ideas?? Thanks for any info.
    the one that I noticed that's missing is the O2 sensor. Change that out yet? If not, you should do so as it has a direct relation to mpg.
    Did you change the EGR vavle (or was that included in your laundry list of replaced items)? One other (lame) attempt and that is...could someone be pulling a practical joke on you and let a few psi of air from all four tires?? This comes to mind because some college buddies of mine (back in the stone age of the 1980's) let out 8 PSI on all four corners and I saw my mileage drop 20%. On a 1975 Nova w/ a 350 V8, that's a big drop!
  • eran1eran1 Member Posts: 17
    Change the coolant, change the coolant, change the coolant. Seems that's all you've left off. Had a similar situation with my truck, the service guy recc. a coolant change/flush...it worked! later
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    Well, it's been over ten months now since I sold the '96GS. I kind of miss the smooth silent power and luxury it gave me. I have a 98 Mustang GT now and it has been a lot of fun. Just wanted to stop in and see how everyone was doing. Enjoy your Regals!!
  • 93saturnsl193saturnsl1 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for all the info. The O2 sensor has been on my list, going to be the next thing I change asap. But... how on earth does coolant affect gas mileage?? I could see how a bad thermostat or coolant temp sensor would, just not sure how a radiator flush would help...
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    I own a 2000 Regal GSE with a Monsoon radio with both a Casette player & CD player on the face plate. The dealer says there isn't a CD changer available for this radio? Is this true? Is there a CD changer wire connection capability in the back of the radio? Is the car pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk-if so, where can I find it? I am not interested in the universal FM modulator type changers. (Bushwack...you can probably answer these questions). Thanks!
    Tell your dealer he's full of 'cow pie'! 1999 and 2000 Regals (LS and GS) w/ the Monsoon system can be equipped with a trunk mounted 12 disc CD Changer. 2001 Regals fall under a different category for they have ON-Star installed (more on the later); meaning that a CD changer may not work when On-Star is installed.

Here's the info you need straight from the GM parts bin:

The 12 disc changer is model 25678544 (it is made by Pioneer for GM). You can by the Pioneer model but I advise against it (the Pioneer's model number
    is cdx-m2116zg; spec no. xh/us). You must have the Monsoon system with the following OEM radio code: UPO. The part number for this UPO radio is: GM part #12371528 (but this info isn't necessary if you already have the Monsoon system installed).

There is a harness that, if memory serves me, is included with the CD changer under the GM brand name. When you order the CD changer, the parts catalog will tell you ALL items necessary for installation.

Take note: If you have On-Star, you can not use the CD changer. Evidentally, On-Star and the harness that is used for the Monsson system are incompatible. I am not an engineer, so don't ask me why. But the person who did my install (he's an independant guy who does all major audio installs for Buicks, Pontiacs and Cadillacs in the L.A. area) was very specific in asking me if I have On-Star installed or if I plan on having On-Star installed.

Side note: The entire set-up on how well your radio and steering wheel buttons integrates with the Monsoon system and CD changer is astonishing! GM did right with this system!
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I have a 99' GSE and my sunroof has failed to close twice in the past year. The first time it was diagnosed as a bad module. That was covered under the regular warranty. A few weeks ago the sunroof would not close again. After four days without my car, the dealership replaced the motor, module, switch ,the glass stop switch and all the wiring. Thankfully my extended warranty covered all the parts and labor. I have yet to open the sunroof, for fear that it will not close again. Next time I buy a car I want no part of a sunroof. Other than this problem 39000 miles and counting.
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    bushwack...does the Regal already have a cd changer wiring harness in the trunk..or will I have to install one? From your last reply, it sounds like it needs to be installed. Thanks for all your help!
    The 12 disc CD changer requires a new harness; which (if my memroy doesn't fail me) comes with the changer. But in case I'm mistaken, when you look up the part number for the changer, there should be a list of accessories REQUIRED next to the diagram for the changer (am I making sense?). All this was on microfish at my local Buick dealer's parts dept.
    I have had some wierd stuff happen with my sunroof not closing all the way. It is intermittent. The mechanics nightmare. I have not opened again as the weather is too hot. I will keep you posted. At the 16K mark now, need to monkey with the cabin air filter soon..
    To All; excellent info on waxes and the link from "obyone" really tells it all.

Much appreciated!! Thanks
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Just got our '00 Regal GSE's oil changed at 12K miles. Service manager said the pollen filter doesn't normally need changing 'till 18K miles. BTW, it looks like they replaced everything with the sun roof on my '98 Lumina. I was lucky it was covered with my extended warranty. Hope our Regal's sunroof lasts longer than the Chevy's.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Why does my owner's manual say replace the passenger air filter once a year!
    The owners manual, under schedule maintainance has a 15K interval for the filter. (about once a year).