Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• garypcgarypc Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I have pressed it (with car off according to the manual), but did not hold it for 10 seconds. I'll try with the car running this time.

Mark, just don't forget to turn those headlights off! Have you ever changed the battery in this car?? What a job!

Good luck.
  • ronny_55ronny_55 Member Posts: 7
    That is a very unique problem. I have never ran into this type of malfunctionin all the years that I have worked on vehicles. If it makes a difference wheather they headlamps are on high or low beam that indicates a problem in that GMC Stalk control again.

Please do keep us updated here.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    It does look like a task to do so though... figures! They cram it all together these days don't they.

Dealer did say battery tested fine they also checked grounds.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Mwdream, removing the battery is easy, just flip the car upside down and shake it vigerously. I have removed my battery and it is a pain. I had a bad water pump and was attempting to fix the problem myself. Its just to hard to get at so I let a local garage do it.
    Thanks! Holding in the Reset with the car running worked great! I'll keep that trick of flipping the car over in mind next time I have to change a battery, it might be easier. Thought I was going to have to remove the fender to get at it.

Just curious, has anyone toyed with changing out the supercharger pulley for a smaller diameter wheel? I've heard about a half second off the 0-60 time can be had.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Have any of you experienced problems related to the following post from our Bonneville Problems board (Post 615)??

"Due to VERY POOR design the EGR burns thru the
    plastic intake allowing coolent to leak into motor. Eventually ALL 95-98 GM 3.8 engines will
    have this problem. The replacement intake is the
    same as orginal with no changes to fix problem."

I have a 2000 Bonneville SE and am curious to know if this problem is widespread.

Ken
  • sailesaile Member Posts: 25
    Yes add a CAI + smaller pulley and you'll get about 20-30 HP.

Checkout grandprixstore, motorsports, or thrasher for 3.4, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0 pulley. Thrasher has a GREAT article on which size is best for 3.8 with dyno'ed runs. The problem is placing pulley!!! Checkout motorsports as they RENT the pulley installation tool for two weeks!!!
    Have you put one on, or are considering it? Rental would be best, I hear the tool cost more than the pulley!
    Yes...it's next to impossible upgrading the pulley without the "special" tool. Let me tell you they aren't cheap!!! I guess you could buy an interchangeable new nose unit or invest the money on tool...but why??? I don't know about you but once the pulley is changed END OF STORY!!! Unless your racing I honestly couldn't reuse the tool??? Bob Weiland of motorsports.westserver.com will gladly rent the tool for $40.00 + refundable deposit...not a bad deal!!!
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    At 20K now and about ready to trash the Bad Years.
    How is everyone doing with their replacment choices.
    I am thinking Mich. but am undecided which ones.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I replaced my tires with BF Goodrich H rated tires. The size is the same as the originals and the ride is very good, but the handling is exactly what I wanted.
    Better grip around the corners and no squealing. Good luck with your purchase.
    I must admit...stock tires are TERRIBLE!!! Placed Bridgestone Potenza RE950 245/50/16. I've placed tires on STOCK rim now for 4 months...no problems. It made a tremendous difference!!!It's not a Z-Rated tire...wife would KICK me if I went that fast!!!
    I guess it comes down to what you read, prefer or budgeted. Best price/unbiased information for ANY tire manufacture could be found @ tirerack.com

Question:
    Do you think the Regal will get the Heads Up Display...SOON??? Much like is available on Park Avenue Ultra, Grand Prix GTP, or Bonniville.
    I put on Yokohama A540 V-rated. Not bad handling, but not much grip from a dead stop. I think 0-60 would improve if I could actually move without spinning, even without much throttle. Maybe a wider tire is needed. I still have the stock wheels.

Thanks pinetted fro the pulley info - may be more trouble than it's worth right now. One day maybe.
    That wasn't me who responded on the pulley but if you go back a ways there are quite a few posts about changing the pulley. I am still thinking about doing mine.
    You're right! Tough doing this from work, no time to read back much. I wonder how much more gas mileage suffers with the smaller pulley. Given how much it drinks now, probably can't get much worse! I don't suppose a dealer would be willing to swap out the pulley since they ought to have the tool, but $40 to rent one is not bad.
    Garypc, I live in Denver so my thinking is it would just push me up to the 240hp it would have at sea level. As far as gas mileage I'm sure it would go down some.
    Which BF Goodrichs did you use.
  • barneyeabarneyea Member Posts: 20
    I have a like new, three volume set of 1998 Regal/Century service manuals for sale. Thought I would post them here before going to ebay.
    Helm wants $120 new. I want $80 including shipping within US.
    Contact Barney@texas.net
    Went in for a $15 plug to fix a slow leak in the Yokos (A540), and almost left with $600 in tires! Treads are worn. I may have gotten 30k out of them. So now I'm also faced with needing replacements. Looking at Mich Pilot XGT H-rated ($111-123 ea). Would like something less expensive, but with great wear and traction. BF? Bridge? Yoko Avid? Anyone have any more thoughts on their tires? Thanks!

Checking out TireRack.com and the Dunlop SP Sport A2 seem to compare pretty high with the Potenza RE950's but at $20 less per tire. Great reviews also.
    I have on my car the following:BF Goodrich Touring T/A HR4 tires the size is 225/60R16. They are much better than the Goodyears. I hope this helps.
    Bporter I have the same tires on my Regal and I like them a lot.
  • pfeiffer85pfeiffer85 Member Posts: 5
    Saile (and anyone else who might know):
    I'm very interested in renting the special tool to replace the pulley on my Regal. I've owned the new pulley for quite some time, but have been too cheap to pay the $$$ for purchasing the tool. How can I contact Bob Weiland at Motorsports? Do you have a URL or email address? I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd be interested in renting the tool. Thanks!
    Bob Weiland
    Motorsports Performance
    1-877-643-3475
    www.motorsports.westserver.net
    Go to his site and DROOL on all the gadgets for the Regal!!! ASP Pulley Puller Tool(rental$40.00 + $109.95 deposit)
    Not 100% positive if he ONLY rents tool with Dial-Ur-Boost purchase??? Give him a call...he's been instrumental + helpful in transforming my Regal!!! Just forgive him for owning a GTP.
    -------------
    Has anyone removed the stock AMP and upgraded AMP/speakers??? What wire connectors are needed for Monsoon transplant??? Don't get me wrong...the stock stereo/8 speaker/amp sounds GREAT. I'd like to upgrade AMP and speakers???
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    If proponents of higher corporate average fuel economy laws, like John Kerry, John McCain, and Ernest Hollings, have their way, this is what the 2008 Buick Regal will look like - http://home.lzu.edu.cn/ad/picture/car/buick/pages/Buick%20Sail%20-%2003.htm
    Hello all,

I have posted with concern about my Regal (which I love) with its (where in the world is the water coming from leak) as a puddle of water continues on the right front passenger side floorboard. On for another attempt to repair the leak.

This is disappointing for a great car, but this stuff happens.
    Happy motoring to all.....as I find myself to soon to venture down LEMON LAW ROAD.

pacinpelo
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    a/c which causes the unit to overflow into the compartment rather than drain to the exterior or the car
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Look back in this forum a few months back about a similar problem. Turns out to be a/c related. In addition, I recall reading a service bulletin about this problem in the office of my local Buick service manager.
    Everything has been check on my Regal and they cannot isolate the leak. Who know where the water is coming in.
    A/C is not leaking. Water is just there.

Has anyone had experience ever filing a lemon claim? What was your result? Was it a challenge? Did you use a lawyer or do it your own.

The dealer basically has thrown his hands in the air. Has not been able to get it to leak now. this is the 3rd visit and 16 days out of service total.

Thoughts?
  • olekolek Member Posts: 11
    Hi to all owners of CAI :)

I am interesting in getting stock airbox and stock intake pipe ( the rubber
    one, which goes from that restrictive airbox to throttle body).

If you have them on the shelf in the garage and beleive that you will not
    need it anymore, it would be very kind of you to sell it ( hmmm I would not
    mind a gift ... :) ) for me.

I have Buick Regal GS 1998 and do not know, is stock airbox on Pontiac GTP the same as
    on GS ? Anybody knows that?

Well, if nobody in this list have these parts, I am going to pursue the way of
    junk yards.

Why I need it ? Going to use stock airbox + amsoil drop in + dremel tool as
    custom intake. If that would not work nicely - will cut intake pipe and put K&N
    cone on it.

Do not like to mess up with the ones I have now because of chance to screw up :)
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    In some earlier posts, there were very favourable comments about Firestone Firehawk SH30's
    and I think they are cheaper than most others. Handling & wear are supposed to be much
    better than the Goodyear's. I'm in the market for tire for my '98 GS so I'll check these out and also look at the Michelin Pilot XGT H4's.
    Dealer has told me i need to replace the Ignition Switch.. this is why my car was shutting down when I used the turn signals.

Also said I need a new battery because it is leaking acid - $115 installed. From the horrors I hear about changing the battery I may have them do it. Am wondering if this is BS though?

Also said I should replace the supercharger cone (nose) to the tune of $500 for the part alone... anyone had this problem, or had to replace their cone??? what would cause that?

Also I need a new belt tensioner...

Anyway my extended warranty is covering the tab for just about everything so worry not. I may attempt the battery myself unless anyone thinks its not worth saving $50... let me know.

Happy motoring, and may your warranty be with you.... Mark
    $115.00 to replace a battery! I would go to Costco's or somewhere else, or replace it yourself. You have to remove the strut tower brace and coolent resevior, but to save about $80.00 bucks its worth it.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Most Autozones and Advance Auto PArts replace the battery free but on the Buick (due to the brace) will charge an extra $10 to do it. Batteries are much less expensive as well. Probably cost $70 all inclusive for the same cold cranking prower rating as the dealer. Always look for the same CCF or higher rating on the replacement.
    It was bound to happen I was involved in an ACCIDENT...OUCH! Front end slightly damaged but rear end...DEMOLISHED. I nor my passenger weren't hurt seriously just sore and banged up for a few days. I was stopped in the intersection waiting for the light to change green. Then the !@#$%^&* NEVER STOPPED, NEVER BRAKED, NEVER NOTICED SPOILER LIGHTS...NOTHING! I'm happy the front end of her Grand-Prix was demolished. The radiator leaked and pieces of headlights were on the street. The impact was so severe; her front end was pushed close back to the engine and the words perfoRMANCE was punched-in my front bumper from 2002 Firebird(front car).
    I AM VERY IMPRESSED ON HOW THE REGAL REACTED TO THE COLLISION. I'm greatful to have walked away from this accident!!! Well after $3K of damage the car is back to it's preaccident condition.
    On a positive note...I replaced the cup holder worth $120.00 + 0.8 hours to install.
    Question:
    Why didn't my air bags go off in the accident??? Is it due to my stationary position; deacceleration-VS-impact???
  • deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    i've posted before, but i changed over to michelin xgt z series....man....they are unreal.

stick is great. they are wearing surprisingly well. road noise is quite acceptable.

i'd like to mention that the change to a top notch tire should be performed prior to any serious suspension mods. i think most will be surprised at how nicely things tighten up with a tire light the XGT Z4s that have a stout sidewall. i was able to get a great price at costco for my michelins.

my confidence level has increased greatly when driving at high speeds on the highway. lane changes are crisp and tracking is much better at 90+ MPH with the michelins.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    So sorry to hear about the accident and glad to hear that you are ok.
    Your airbags did not go off because the vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision. They are designed to activate in a frontal collision and at a certain type of force. It sounds like you were pushed into a vehicle in front of you but that collision was not hard enough to activate the airbag. How did your front-end get damaged? What excuse did the driver of the Pontiac have? She wasn't talking on the cell phone, was she?
    First off, sorry to about your accident, Saile.
    Anyway here is my problem, I went to start my car on Saturday night and I had no dash lights. The headlights and everything else was working fine. I checked the fuses and the mega-fuses but all were OK. This happened once before and I was able to play with the dimmer switch. I will be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone else had this problem? It seem my car is plagued with some weird electrical problems.
    I had a similar problem, all the lights on the dash would light up and then a number of gauges would go dead and the speedo and tach would go crazy. Then everything would light up again and everything would return to normal. The dealer finaly had to send the dash assembly out and have it reworked and I have not had a problem since.
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I just test drove a 98 LS. I really liked the ride. The only concern I had was the speed of the air coming out of the vents. I had the a/c on in norm & bilevel positions with the fan speed set to the 3rd position. It just didn't seem like the air was coming out too hard. Is this normal or Just my imagination?? It did cool very well.
  • jrtubbjrtubb Member Posts: 1
    I bought my grandmothers 95 regal GS this past December and love it. Being 28 this wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but the low miles (14,000) and mint condition and price sold me. Also I live in Maine and they tax new cars pretty heavily, so the 95 isn't too bad. Also this car spent its' life in Florida so no salt or rust problems.

So with so few mile and no signs of problems what are some areas I should watch for? I put new tires on it and changed the coolant. The only problem I had was a vacuum leak that kept shutting the vent to defrost, but my local dealer fixed it for les the $100 so I'm pretty happy.

Other then not being very excited about the way the car drives in the snow (I use to have 4x4 bronco) I find nothing wrong with the vehicle. However being a gear head I was looking around for some suspension tuning parts, maybe a strut tower brace and some lower braces to help the handling in tight corners a bit. The power of the car is great, and I've never driven a FWD car that could light up the tires up so easily:)

Most of my friends laugh at the car, and it's been affectionately labeled the Granny Mobil. Hey I really don't care, it's one of the few granny cars with a ski rack and enough power to waste those roller-skates that pass for small cars.

Thanks
    John
    I just picked up my new 98 ls. The dealer installed a new battery before I picked up the car. I saw the word "LOC" on my stereo and of course I can't turn it on. Is this something I have to go to the dealer to get taken care of or is it something I can do myself. (I got it at a Nissan dealer.) The car didnt have an owners manual.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    If I remember the manuals right, only GM dealer can fix it.
    I am less than thrilled with the positioning and ease of changing the air vents and air direction. I have not had any problems with weak air flow, just the hard to adjust and bad positioned vents.

Also one of my cupholders just lost its spring? damn plastic. I bet this 10 cent piece will cost a $100 for the dealer to fix. Anyone have this problem?
    Took my car to the dealership and the headlight switch was bad, replaced under my extended warranty. The only question I have is;why would the switch go bad if the switch itself is hardly ever used? The Regal has auto headlights. Oh well such is life.
    I drove up to the service dept this afternoon. The service rep hit a few buttons, got a code, called somewhere, got the code, my stereo works great....and it was no charge (Seaside Buick in San Diego)
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Congratulations!
    I have had my 98 LS less than a week. I cannot believe what a great car this is. I got for under 11k with 40,000 mi. Its got everything but the sun roof. It has no squeaks or rattles at all, and the leather is in mint condition. (I traded a 93 taurus w/125k miles)
    Now on to my question, My low oil light comes on when I first start the car. The oil was just changed and the level is correct. It happens if the car sit for a few hours then started, but, I can shut off the car and restart right away and the light doesn't come on.
    Does this sound like a sensor or can it be some computer problem.

Rick