Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    You got them replaced under warranty. Isn't there a TSB or known problems with the rotors. I am getting close to my first front brake job. I want to be prepared.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    All I've seen & heard is how great the Impala cop cars are. Does Buick make one too? I would think a Regal GS, similarly equipped, would be faster & roomier than an Impala. I realize that the higher costs (car, premium gas, & mileage) would be issues, but the Buick would be more comfortable & have the necessary overall pursuit speed that cops love. It can't be that much different than Ford's Crown Vic police cars.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    The blower actually has a 7 year warrenty so you will have to wait awhile to put that pulley on.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    I changed it at Valvoline Instant oil change @ 3,700 miles.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    On a new car I change O&F at 1000 and appx. every 3000-3500 thereafter. I used synthetic in '99 VW turbodiesel but use dino oil in my gassers. --Nick
  • deibsdeibs Member Posts: 11
    head over to the regal gs forum to get all your questions answered about performance mods and other tricks.

our membership continues to grow. you'll all be welcome over there.

hope you'll join us in interesting discussions. the folks are pretty sharp in the forum.

www.regalgs.org

willjammer
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    I took my '02 LS in for its first service, complaining about lack of power, using too much gas, and poor quality, slippy shifts in the lower gears. The diagnostic plug and a test drive showed nothing, but a TSB describing exactly those symptoms has Buick opening up the transmission and cleaning out the valve body to remove dirt particles. That's about a four hour job, plus a new gasket, which is on order. All under warranty, natch. I'll know if it works next week. Has anyone else had the same problem?
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    "Times have changed, If you wish to continue to make the dealer's boat payments; well that's okay too."

I might be making the dealer's boat payments but the poor overworked guy never has time to play with it (LOL). Word has it that his wife enjoys the boat while he contributes to his retirement coronary:-)

I'm sure that quarterly $19.00 oil change is going to make for a great boat purchase (LOL).
  • MightyMike242MightyMike242 Member Posts: 8
    I haven't posted in quite a while with my 98 GS update. The puppy has 123,000 miles on it. It has some very minor problems of which the one that bothers me is that the AC display doesn't light, but everything works. Any hints?
    I put Michilen X One's on it at about 65K miles and they are only 1/2 worn. Little noisier than the OEM's, but I high recommend them.
    I change oil about every 4,000 to 4,500 miles and rotate the tires every other oil change.
    I have had only one "major" problem with the care which was easily repaired. I have a fuel pump resistor fail at about 70K and the care would run. It cost a bout $230 to replace.
    I was also rear ended and thought I was going to lose the whole font end as I was pushed into an Explorer and all I saw was it's bumper bent to 45 degrees. It end up that all that was damaged was both the front and rear bumpers. A truck had hit me.
    Mileage has been great. I do both road and city driving and have not touched the computer in about 2 years. It reads 26.5 mpg.
    I am deciding whether to keep it or trade it as it needs a tune up along with everything that goes with that which costs $600.00. If I can get the AC display operating cheaply, I'll likely keep it for a while longer as its value is low, but the darn thing is very dependable.
    For helping to answer the question, "How long do these great cars last?" Could you tell us how much routine maintenance & repair you had to do in 123K? Like brakes, shocks, exhaust system, front end parts & alignments. etc.? Still the same tranny, untouched? As to keeping your car, IMO, fix thethe A/C display if it's not too expensive [didn't someone post an easy way to do that a while back?], do the tuneup, and keep the car, at least as a beater for another 100K. And keep us posted.
  • coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    Listed at www.regalgs.org is a fix for the AC display. It does involve removing the unit from the dash. I replaced my unit before I knew of the fix. It was 489 for the unit and I replaced it myself. I wish I had seen and attempted the fix listed above before I spent the money. I have heard of numerous people with this problem, but I have not heard of GM paying for it, as I think they should since it is obviously a parts problem.
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    Editorial Comment: "Have driven my 99 GS for 2.5 years now and so far I can say this is probably the best car I have owned in my 36 years of driving".
    TIRES: recently switched out the Goodyear LS' at 32M miles. They had probably 10M left in them, but I was tired of the highway noise. Replaced with Firestone Affinity LH30. Obviously, I have not driven them in snow yet, but they handle "very" well and the road noise is gone.

I am taking the car in to the dealer soon for the 1st time. I change the oil myself regularly at 3M and I have change the airfilter myself.
    CLIMATE CONTROL: to be replaced replaced as display almost gone.
    TRANS FLUID: Dealer suggested (sure he would) I change trans fluid (33M miles). Owners manual says 50M or more. What's the right time to change?
    SUPER CHARGER: What I have been reading on this site regarding SC fluid is some say change and some say just add if needed. What's correct?
    Can you guys suggest anything else I should have the dealer look at while in the shop? Thanks for your help?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Buick doesn't make police cars.

Also, $19 is pretty good for an oil change price.

Dealers have gotten somewhat competitive pricing for routine service lately.
    May I suggest the next time you replace your air filter, install a high-flow type (K&N makes a good one). I installed one in my wife's '00 GS and also one in my '98 GS. I think it made a big difference in HP and torque. Just my 2 cents.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    To all you contemplating a new Regal purchase...Good article from AutoWeek...Redesign in 2005...http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=09219840
    You asked about my routine maint. for the 123,000 miles GS. Other than the routine oil changes and tire rotations, here is what else I do.
    Change the air filter every 15K miles.
    Check brakes at every rotation.
    Note, changed front brakes at about 65K.
    Have not do any other major changes although do have them checked.
    Had major service at 60K miles and will have that done again shortly.
    Changed to Michilen X-One's at about 65K, good tire and only about $60.00 more per set than the GY LS.
    This car is a road warrior and is showing some wear, but what do you expect. Paint is great and no rust even living in Michigan.

On another note, the 3.5 V-6 mentioned for 2004 is already in the Intrigue. I call it, jokingly, the shortstar, a Northstar with two less cylinders. It appears that the 3800 is on it's way out.

Another note! Look at the Edmunds pricing for the 2003 LS. They have definitely de-contented the car. ABS is an option along with other options being packaged into higher priced configurations.

Mike
  • twalden1twalden1 Member Posts: 2
    Last summer at 23K the car had a tremendous loss of power as I pulled onto my street, and the car stalled as I stopped at the house. It would restart, sputtering, but needed throttle to run, so I had it towed to the dealer. The Buick dealer did the computer check; installed a new fuel filter; new spark plugs; and replaced a broken valve spring on #4 cylinder. Cost: $525, mostly due to $280 in diagnostic fees. Think they had an inexperienced man on the car. A compression check would have instantly identified the problem. I asked for help from the dealer, which fell on deaf ears. Called Buick customer service, and followed up with a letter asking for some financial assistance due to low mileage and only 39 months old. Door slammed in my face, both on the phone and with a letter from Buick customer service. Thanks Buick for nothing. It's the 5th car I've bought from this dealer. I've been happy with all the cars but they have all required some service, that is no longer obtained from the local Buick dealer.
    For the good news re: Regal longevity. Wow! 128K miles with the original shocks, rear brakes, drivetrain, etc. still there. That's the start of Camry territory. If my '02 gets there, I'll keep it forever. Too bad about using the 3.5 as a replacement for the 3.8. I have a fantasy of the old mill being stroked to maybe 4.0 [more torque], all aluminum DOHC, so maybe we could see 250 HP unsupercharged with 30 mpg? On regular? And then blow that! Does any of that make sense?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Not in the real world!
    You mean THAT real world where butt-ugly Rendeszvous struggle down the road with 3.5's. What do I know about marketing, I just know what I like. Maybe the new GM guy will do better.
    I'm not sure where you are coming from about replacing the 3.8. I have not seen anything about it being replaced until atleast 2005. The Rendezvous has a 3.4 litre that is used in many cars like the base Impala, GM Minivans, and Century. Apparently the 3.8 will not fit in the Rendezvous or minivans.

GM has a 4.0 litre, 250hp DOHC v8 in the Olds Aurora.
    Raced a Dodge Ram pickup with my '98 Regal GS yesterday. The Dodge has 240 HP with 300 ft-lbs of torque, so we were pretty evenly matched. I beat him to the next light by ~1/2 car length ('goin about 55). He rolled down his window and said I had a bad *ss car for an old geezer (I'm 58). I laughed. BTW, he didn't want a re-match.
    jumper - I misspoke; the Rendeszvous does run [an underpowered] 3.4, which is the only engine that fits since they're using a Pontiac minivan platform for it. As to a new Regal powerplant, may I point out the new V6 Altima which makes 260 ponies [on premium gas] as the kind of competition that did not exist in this segment 4 years ago. Of course, the Regal is a more refined design and it sells for less [though the MSRP's are close] these days.
    Altima has 240hp, Maxima has 260hp.

The next Grand Prix has a more tuned version of the 3800SC motor and is supposed to get 280hp/280lb ft. Details are on Pontiac's site. The next Regal may end up with this motor too. It is going to be 2005 before the next Regal though, since Lutz vetoed the proposed '04 one.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Going on vacation & wondering how much of a difference the higher octane nectar will give me in terms of mpg.

Anyone here already done the comparison ?

I have a 2002 Regal LS-

Thanks in advance.
    Stick with 87. The rest will just empty your pocket.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    What in the world are you doing racing a Dodge Ram pickup?! I own both and the Regal would be one sad sedan if it couldn't outrun my truck. How could you only beat it by a 1/2 car length? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but that match up makes no sense. At least I wouldn't be bragging about it. That is the big problem with the Regal, it is thought of as an old geezer car.
    I'm 35 and realize I will be a senior citizen soon enough, but I want to be driving a Corvette or something similar when I'm over 50. Buick shoots themselves in the foot my marketing to the AARP crowd almost exclusively. Even on this board, I see people posting about their sore backs or other ailments. Not exactly performance sedan chat. I'm not trying to be a smart [non-permissible content removed] or offend anyone, just voicing my 2 cents. The Regal need not be a "Sleeper" car if Buick would pull their head out. Make it a true performance sedan with class. Unfortunately, it will never happen.
    A lot of people over at the Impala discussion group are whinning about the new 2004 Impala SS only getting the L-67, instead of a new V8 with RWD. They should be very happy to finally get this great engine! Chevy tried to fit a detuned LS1 in the engine bay, but it was too cramped. I love my Regal GS. I think GM will have to develop a new motor for the Regal GS and Pontiac GTP to compete with Chevy.
    "What in the world are you doing racing a Dodge Ram pickup?! I own both and the Regal would be one sad sedan if it couldn't outrun my truck. How could you only beat it by a 1/2 car length?"

He must have had some mods to stay pretty much even with me. I saw and heard (loud) dual exhausts. He also might have had the 3500 series motor, which is a 5.9 liter V8, with 345 ft.-lbs. of torque.
    I am keeping the Regal and its going in for the routine maintenance on Monday. It has almost 125,000. I am also taking a crack at fixing the A/C display this weekend.

Related to the 3800 and with some insider info, it will be around until at least 2008 and likely longer. They are expanding the plant where these are built. I understand that thay have manufacturing problems with the 3.5 and can't get the volume they need. GM considers the 3800 not techie enough and that is true, but the darn thing performs.
    Mike
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    The G35 is a very sweet car. I drove one for four days and can't say enough good things about the car. As for a Regal GS/G35 comparison, it can't be done. The G35, in its first year of production, is as solid as can be. Its craftsmanship is far and away better then a Regal. About the only (minor) complaint I have of the G35 is the nav. system isn't as refined as Acura's.

If I was in the market to trade my '00 GS for a car, the G35 would fit my needs perfectly.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Could give us some feedback on the SC3800 vs the G35's engine? What about ride and handling?

Or is the G35 so much better than the GS that you can't make a comparison?
    What about real-world [NOT MSRP] prices for Regals vs G35's?
    I did the A/C display fix and they now work fine. My only investment was a soldering iron. If your slow and careful, this is about a 2 hour job.
    Mike
    From the drivers seat, the engine of the G35 is quieter. I'm sure much of that has to do with insolation. Acceleration of the G35 comes on very smooth while the GS is more V8-like. Without a doubt the GS snaps your neck back when the supercharger kicks (can't say that about the G35). Handling of the G35 is far better then the GS. Of course the cars are not meant to compete with each other (FWD vs RWD). The Maxima is a better comparison for the Regal then the Altima or G35.

The (boulevard) ride to me was about the same. The difference is that you have the feel..the surroundings that the G35 is put together so much better the the Regal. For the interior, everything just fits better in the G35. Much better then a new Regal; which has had 5 years to 'get it right'. Of course, in comparisons to other DOMESTIC cars, the Buick's fit/finish is above average. But compare it to a Maxima, G35 (Avalon or Mazda 6), and the Buick looks like crap.

Back to the engine. I'm sure the hi-reving 3.5 ltr G35 is costlier to maintain. If I had my choice, I'd raher have a tried and true engine then a newer one (though the 3.5 ltr has ben around at least 12 years). But any hi-reving, 4 valve per cylinder engine is bound to cost more $$$ then an ol' pushrod. But if you're leasing, it doesn't make a difference.

Pricing?? The G35 is in demand. So while a loaded Buick GS can be grabbed for $24,000, I think a G35 currently demands a premium price.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Liked you comparison. You are right on-- re: the interior. The GS is nice, but can't compare to some of the foreign competition. The leather is cheap looking with the dash and gauges quickly becoming outdated. Love that engine though! Have really enjoy my 01 GS. Only have about 11,000 miles on it now.
    From the most minute detail in every car, surveys, corporate discussion groups and various testing procedures are used to determine the type of plastic, fabric of carpet and types of exterior nuts and bolts should go into every car. ANything that the public eye can see has been nit-picked and scrutinized before going into production. yet it still amazes me how off base the Domestic car makers are. They DO NOT have the pulse of what "Joe America" is looking for in a car.

Take the Corvette: Its interior plastics and flimsy leather interior is pitiful. How all these cheap pieces can go into a fine mechanically-tunes car is amazing! Corvette sales would increase tremendously if GM would emulate the Imports procedures on determining aesthetic 'pieces' that go into a car. The Boxter, The SLK and the 3 Series Bimmer wouldn't sell as many cars as they do if GM would make the interior of the Corvette as 'world class' as its engine and suspension is.

This all holds true for the Infinit G35 vs the Regal GS. Hell, its been this way for the last 25+ years ever since the imports made a dent in domestic car sales. I just can't understand what GM, Ford and Chrysler are thinking when they put the interior pieces together.

The Lexus LS 430 & Caddilac DTS should be compared head-to-head. But the interior refinements of the Lexus takes that car many levels higher then the DTS or any domestic luxury car. There should be no reason(s) why these two cars shouldn't have equal sales numbers. Again, GM has dropped the ball on what the consumer wants in a car and therefore, with the import car makers actually listening to consumer input, they pull away in just about every segment of the market.

OK...gotta get to work - getting off the soapbox.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    If you need your AC unit display fixed, somebody on Ebay offers this service for around $50. You need to pay for shipping...

check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1847786349&r=0&t=0

You are so right. From cupholders to radio knobs, GM and Buick are dropping the ball that the Japanese carry so well for the same MSRP. For just one example, the volume knob on my '02 LS Monsoon radio is made, I swear, out of a leftover Coke 2-liter bottle cap. It actually BENDS and SQUEAKS when I turn it! Of course, the fact that very few Buicks are sold for full price may be a factor in their cheaping-out on the very pieces of the car that the owner sees and touches every day. Sort of a chicken-and-egg thing, I guess.
  • alogoalogo Member Posts: 1
    2002 Regal LS: With the climate control "neutral" i.e. not blowing hot or cold, I found my steering wheel audio control buttons were very warm to the touch, as if the bulb behind them (it was at night and the headlights were on automatically) was heating up. I've had a 2001 Impala and a 1989 Bonneville with steering wheel controls and never noticed them being warm to the touch. Has anybody else noticed this?
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    The warmth seems to be a common complaint. Have heard them referred to on this site as "wrist warmers." Wish I had said that.
    You can cool down those steering wheel control buttons by dimming the dash lights. Of course, now you can't read the guages as well. Or just wait for winter when you'll be glad for a little extra warmth. Seiously, this is just another example of WWTT [What were they thinking?] when they designed these details?
  • hrobinson47hrobinson47 Member Posts: 1
    How often should you change the oil on my 2002 Regal GS. It has a gage on it with the % of oil life left. Should I go by the gauge or change every 3000 miles. The book says go by the gauge.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Most probably, it does not matter.

Personally, I changed oil at 2k miles and 5k miles. Than switched to Mobil 1 synthetic with Pure One filter, and am changing according to the oil monitor. About every 6k miles with our driving pattern and driving style. 2000 GS, mostly my wife's car.
    Always...ALWAYS change your oil (and filter) every 3,000 miles. I suppose synthetic can go about 7,500 or a wee bit longer.

Over the past few days during daylight hours, my thermometer reading on my display has read 62 degrees when it should read at least 85 (as is the weather here in L.A.). Oddly, the evening reading seems correct. This will be the 2nd time in 15 months that the dealer will be changing the thermometer (I doubt its the display) under warranty. Anyone else have this issue?

Lastly, it seems my OEM GoodYear LS tires need replacement after 23,000 miles. In highway driving, anyone have any first-hand experience with Michelin MVX tires? I'm looking for a quiet, highway ride. Wet weather performance is of little issue here in L.A.

TIA
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I changed the first time at 4300 miles and switched to synthetic. Next change was at 16,000 miles (filter changed at about 10,000). Currently have about 28,000 and time for the next change (filter was done at 23,000) First two analysis looked good except for some higher copper numbers which I believe are due to break in as they are going down. Next analysis should determine this. I just reset the computer when I change the filter or oil. At about 6000 miles the read out still has more then 30% oil life left. On current fill with almost 12,000 miles (granted about a quart in make up oil with filter and usage) the color is still amber and looks good. These engines are not hard on oil, no DOHC or gears to shear the oil.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    How did the new Dunlops turn out?...
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    I just changed my GY Eagles on my '99 Regal GS at 33,000. Couldn't stand the road noise anymore. I put on Firestone Affinity LH30. Road noise is gone, handling is fine.
    I don't think I'd buy Firestones. Besides the Firstone/Explorer mess of a few years ago, Firestone has had similar problems for as far back as I remember (circa 1973). As I recall, back in the '70s they had a massive recall after many deaths related to three specific brands of Firestone tires (the deaths were directly attributed to tread separation).

So, Firestone lives on but never on a car I'll drive no matter has well 'respected' they may be in the automotive community.