Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    A while back there was a discussion about what the oil was/is that GM specifies in its SC on the 3.8L engine. I thought the consensus was a 5W30 synthetic motor oil was equivalent to the GM parts dept but I have now heard that it may not be.

Has anyone heard differently or actually know what is in the GM bottle?
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    I purchased new, a 2001 Buick California Regal LS. The car has Gran Touring Suspension and Good Year Eagle LS, 16 inch tires. It now has 12000 miles on it.

This vehicle is great except for the ride. It is by far, the poorest riding vehicle that I have ever owned. Every little bump or imperfection in the road is transmitted throughout the car.

I am not sure if the Gran touring suspension is at fault or if the Good Year tires are causing the problem. The tires are still like new. Maybe someone can suggest a fix.

Thanks

Ron
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. My extended warranty is through First Extended Service Corporation. You can find them on the internet. The warranty I bought when my car was new was a 7 year 100,000 mile comprehensive coverage warranty with a $50 deductible and it cost $1280.

If you have any other questions let me know and I will try to do better at getting back to you.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Not entirely sure what the contents are of the S/C Oil...But use the 2 bottles of the GM stuff after sucking out the old...It's only 12-14 dollars...Don't try and cut this corner to save a few dollars...
    Purpose: Not only is this something that should be done once a year, and its very easy to do. Often from the factory they come under-filled and you will find that they come with the most VILE smelling oil known to man. It is NOT synthetic oil as some dealers suggest, but a very specific oil made for our superchargers.

How its done:

Parts:

2 bottles of GM supercharger oil, GM p/n: 12345982

Tools:

Turkey baster

Short hose- needs to fit over end of turkey baster, and in s/c plug, about
    6" long.

3/16 Allen wrench or hex bit

NOTE: Make sure that the engine is cool before proceeding.

1-Remove the S/C oil inspection plug. It is a black plug in the front of the
    S/C 'snout' with a hex head.

2-Insert tube attached to turkey baster in hole, suck the oil out. It will
    take a couple of times to remove all the oil, use a light to check. Dispose
    of oil with your old motor oil.

3- Add S/C oil, fill to the bottom of the threads on the hole for the
    inspection plug. It will take all of 1 bottle and most of the 2nd. Do not
    over fill.

4- Reinstall inspection plug.

5- Check S/C oil level after driving for a day, add only if it's not to
    bottom of the threads on level ground. Check S/C oil level at every engine
    oil change.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I have a 99 Regal GSE and I am experiencing a tire thumping. I took it to the place I bought tires from back in Oct 2001. I told them I have a tire thump and a vibration, please check out the front tire balancing. Maybe I threw a weight wth all of the potholes. Anyway I was told that my tie rods have play in them. I had them replaced when I bought the tires. Has anyone else had this problem? Apperently it is not uncommon on the "W"
    body cars. I go back on Saturday, and I will ask them to look at my whole front end. My car as 73700 miles on it. The struts are original and so are the brake rotors. Any comment would be welcomed.
    Interesting, when I changed mine out it did not smell at all, clear and looked like motor oil. Based upon the posts on this board about a year ago where people were told by GM that it was synthetic 5W30 oil I replaced mine with 0W30 synthetic oil. That was 10,000 miles ago.

We may never know what the OEM fill is?
    You're probably right, but as mine's still under warrantee, if 'anything' should go wrong, I want to point to their stuff and say, "Here."

Did you do the turkey baster method?
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Had a strange thing happen about a week ago. Drove the Regal GS down my drive, got out (left the engine running) to check the mail and pick up some leaf bags. When I turned around, I saw the GS backing/moving back up the drive, headed toward my B-Ball Hoop! Ran after it, somehow jumped in and applied the brakes just as it hit the post/hoop. It knocked the hoop down with just minor scratches to the GS bumper. What an experience! Anything like this happen to any of you? Ant tech bulletins on this?

Called my dealer and so far no response...

Fortunately the only thing "hurt' was the hoop!
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    A very strange problem just developed with my A/C. Three of the 4 dash vents blow tepid air and the one to the right of the CD player blows very cold. Being in Florida it takes the car forever to cool off :(. I thought it might be related to the dual climate control but I've been pressing buttons for days to no avail. I have a '99 LS. Any one else have this problem?
  • rob_janaerob_janae Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem on my 99GS. The solution is to change your indoor cabin air filter. It has nothing to do with your dual climate control your filter is clogged and it can't pull enough air. It cost about $20 bucks and took 10 minutes to change. There are several other posts here a while back that tell you exactly how to change it. Just do a search on (cabin air filter). I bought the filter from the dealer because of convenience.
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    I was pretty sure that was the problem, so I had the oil change place change it a couple weeks ago and it didn't help. The filter was extremely dirty. I watched them change it (so I can do it next time) and it looked like everything went ok. Maybe they ended up screwing it up. Thanks for the reply.
    No quite, same principle. I do oil analyis and done of the companies has these plastic suction containers with tubing (for use with the dipstickj) and I have one I use for all purpose small syphon jobs so I just stuck the tube (clean tube) into the fill hole and sucked it out. As noted the 0W has been in there for slightly over 10,000 miles now and out of warranty as well.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I've been busy myself and haven't gotten back as often as I'd like, so no problems. Thanks for the info about the warranty plan. I might hit you up with a few questions at a later date about them.
    It turns out that I needed front struts but the shop did replace my tie rods again and I had to get an alignment done. I guess with 74K miles I really have nothing to complain about.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Are tie rods a wear item? If they were lubed every
    10K or earlier, they shouldn't wear out, should they?

I have traded two Buicks (LeSabre and Century) with 135K and didn't even notice a looseness, let alone have to change tie rod ball joints because of looseness at 30K intervals with tires. Is it possible the store has found a profit center item that customers can be sold that they don't need?

Are there any mechanics with an answer to this?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    I have a '98 and '01 Buick regal. I change the oil myself every 3000 miles. I have never greased the tie rods. I'm almost sure they have no grease fittings. The service manual shows no where to grease them.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are you getting with mostly highway driving? Have you had many problems with your Regal(LS OR GS)?
         What are the basic differences between the Century and the Regal(beside the engine)?
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    I have the LS model, both were purchased new. I average between 30 and 32 mpg. on a highway run. On the '01 I replaced the Hub and Bearing assy. on the right wheel, other than the windows sticking in the closed position when the car was new, I had no other problems.

When I purchased the '98 the Century had bench seats and the shift on the steering column. I think the newer models have bucket seats.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I am thinking of getting rid of the LS's and OEM rims---what tires would any of you recommend? Of course I would like improved handling, however, I dopn't want to sacrifice much in the way of ride quality. Don't want a hard jarring ride. I've seen some reference to Dunlop Sp 2's but cam't find them on tirerack.

Would appreciate all your suggestions.
    Tirerack does have Dunlop Sport A2's...Just like mentioned on the other site...With the Mille Rims...
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Someone "parking by ear" hit my front bumper hard enough to create a crack, about 4 inches long in the front bumper cover. It's the kind of break that disappears when pushed back into place. What I need is some sort of glue that will hold on this molded plastic material. HELP!! I don't want to go for a whole new cover [painted to match!!??]. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I am on cone #3, 1998... anybody else going through these?

They aren't cheap. Maybe the dealer is scamming my extended warranty company. They just replaced one a year ago.
  • richn2richn2 Member Posts: 44
    I had just read in the Friday business section of my local newspaper that GM is trying real hard to boast sales. GM had given all of there employees 2 coupons that they can give out that would allow them to receive the s plan discount. Has anybody used the s plan to purchase a Saab and do you really get a good deal by using it. Secondly, if any GM employee would like to give one out I would be happy to take it off of your hands.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Can you tell us what happened to your S/C nosecone? Did it crack or bend from stress? I also have an extended warranty, and would like to know if there's a S/C problem. I know the oil level should be checked every 12000 miles. I also read where changing pulleys can cause shaft cracking problems.
    I have the same problem when I'm stopped on a steep hill, waiting at a traffic light. My GS will glide backwards if I don't keep my foot on the brake (even while it's in drive). My dealer said it's because the engine (when idling) can't provide enough torque to the transmission to keep the car from coasting (when on inclines). I'm sure everyone else with a Regal GS has had this same scarry experience.
    stax - It sounds like your idle is nice & low, like you want it so you'll get some engine braking at speed, you'll save some gas in traffic, and you won't be slipping your tranny waiting for the green on steep inclines.
  • sigfigssigfigs Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I would put my 2¢ worth in after going through 115 pages of discussion...

Black '99 GS
    140,000 miles
    Oil change every 5K
    Tires rotated and balance checked every 5K
    Tranny fluid change every 50K
    SC oil checked and added every 30K
    Air filter changed every 15K
    Cabin fitler changed every 30K
    Front pads/rotors turned 50K and 100K
    Rear pads 100k
    Both serpentine belts replaced 100K
    OEM Goodyear LS tires replaced at 50K
    with Bridgestone RE730, on second set now
    great tires for wet or dry roads
    no snow here in Louisiana, thank goodness

A/C control panel faded out after warranty expired
    bought new unit from gmpartsdirect.com for $230
    replaced myself

The only other problem I've had from this car is the BCM unit, which I have no idea what it does other than the fact that the back-up lights dont' work when it goes bad. I've had this module replaced three times and now it's gone out again.

Those two things aside... I love this car!!
    At last, a happy long-term owner! You didn't say how your '99 runs now [power, mileage, shifts, etc.] but I assume it's still good since you're still happy. I note also that the trans fluid changes are not in the manual. Sounds good to me, though. Thanks!
    I changed the fluid in my auto LeSabre 98 at 55K
    and the service manager inplies that that has allowed the lockup slip control valve to start acting like it's gummed up. It's been acting up since about 75K.

I'd recommend changes at 36 or 24K.

• gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    My '99 GS has 41,000 miles and I have heard it is probably not a good idea to go 5 yrs with the Dex coolant. I decided to flush the radiator but found I could not open the rad valve. The valve is on the driver's side in a pretty inaccessible spot. It appears a special tool is requred to open.
    You folks have any advise? Thanks
  • sigfigssigfigs Member Posts: 6
    Verdi, the engine feels just as strong as it was new, throttle response is quick, no lag in acceleration, shifts are smooth and barely noticable, I usually shift down out of O/D when running around in town

My mileage dropped 2/3 mpg when I switched to the Bridgestone RE730s, but that was expected with a high performance tire my highway mileage during trips runs between 28-32 mpg at 70-80 mph... most of driving is combined city'highway as my daily drive to work is 20 miles of open highway @ 65 mph that mileage usually runs 22-23 mpg... there are some days when the adolescent in me comes out and really have to get down on the S/C... mileage then goes down to 17-18 mpg.

I didn't mention this before, since about 75K miles I have added a can of RESTORE each oil change (5K miles).
    I loosen the clamp on the lower radiator hose and let it drain there. Let cool. Refill with water. Run 5 minutes. Cool. Drain. Then refill with DexCool to get the proper mix. After warmup, run at 3000 rpm for 5 bursts to move air pockets out of heater core. Then bleed at screw on top of thermostat housing to remove air bubble there...

I don't know what the problem was exactly. The dealer said it was making noise ? I didn't notice anything. The ext. warranty covered it. I don't ride the supercharger hard so it seems strange to go through another cone in 1 1/2 years. I had the SC oil changed around 40,000. At 65,000 miles now on a 1998.
  • bonnevillemanbonnevilleman Member Posts: 22
    Hey guys I have a couple questions about the 95 Regal Custom. I am considering buying one and would like to know if there are any glaring defects and/or probs I should know about before purchasing this elegant car. It is a 95 with 27629 miles on it and has the 3.8L engine. Any and all advice would be helpful!

Preston
    (current owner of a 95 bonneville SSEi)
  • masonbradfordmasonbradford Member Posts: 3
    From normal expierence and what i have seen the 3800 series engines are some of the most reliable in the world the gm makes and from what i have read the 2005 regal base will be getting a 3800 series III with 240 HP and the GS will be getting the 260 HP just what i have read and the cadillac cts does not even compare to the buick regal so they probably wont have to worry about competition between the two.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    With 30,000 miles on my 2000 GS, just during the past 700 miles I've had the ABS solenoid/module replaced (due to the idiot lights illuminating for no apparent reason), EGR valve replaced (2nd time) and again for the 2nd time, the exterior thermometer had to be replaced (showed 90 degrees when exterior temp is 65).

The Series II engine may have a reliable track record, but I've become disappointed with the electronics complimenting this engine. With 4 months/6,000 miles left on the warranty, I'm seriously considering either getting an extended waranty or selling the car. The above mentioned repairs, if not under warranty, would have been $1,000+ out of my pocket (including diagnostic visits).

If there is a positive out of all this inconvenience, at GM's expense I've been able to 'test drive" three vehicles during these past couple weeks (GMC Envoy, Acura MDX and an Infiniti G35). I'd need a three sided coin to decide which I liked best (the Envoy was a pleasant surprise of luxury and performance).
  • patssoxpatssox Member Posts: 8
    An eight year old car with under 30,000 miles.

Do all four tires match?

Anything appear worn?
       - Power window switches
       - Arm rests
       - Floor mats

Service records available?

With the 6 digit odometer the "rollover" concern is no longer valid. But, this seems very low - I'd take a long, hard look at the car.

I've got a '95 Custom 3.8 w/140,000 miles that runs just great, btw.

Let us know how everything turns out.

Paul
  • sanmechsanmech Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to make the leather seats on a 99 regal into heated ones, without changing the whole seat assembly? Also this '99 with 50K (babied miles) on synthetic fluids just needed 2 tie rod ends, front wheel bearing and hub, digital display for climite control,2 rear struts.
    Already the oil pan gasket changed due to a leak,
    outside thermometer pickup changed, 2 mirrors repainted black due to factory never painting,
    I rate this car JUNK--- it is surburban driving and rides like a Ford Bronco
    Companies like PFYC.com sell the Heated Seat kits for about $100.00...
    What you have experienced with your 99, I have experienced the same things in my 99 GSE. I have also replaced a transmission and had the sunroof stick open twice. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty. Of course just as it ran out the climate control display is going dim again. I have 76K miles. I guess the only real thing that I am disappointed with is that for $27,000.00, I expected better build quality. I know it is GM,but they always tout Buick quality.
  • jbmalikjbmalik Member Posts: 10
    All-

I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS with about 17,000 miles. there is a squeak (kind of a chirping sound) coming from what I *think* is the suspension. Happens every time I go over a bump (large or small). Frequency increases when I have (say) a passenger riding in the back. Anyone else experience this?
    You said... (the Envoy was a pleasant surprise of luxury and performance).

I thought much the same about the Regal GS, which is why I bought it. However you do need to question the reliability. Without my ext. warranty I would be about $3000 out of pocket so far. (Dealership repairs)I'm at 65,000 on a 1998??? Thats about $1000 for every 10K over my factory warranty. My wife hasn't done any better with her 97 GMC Safari. I wouldn't own any GM vehicle without an extended warranty. The Envoy caught my eye... but knowing our current situation, I'm backing away slowly. By the way I got a Pontiac Grand Am for my free dealer test drive. Wife got a Yukon Denali with DVD ? go figure... better have her relationship with the service tech checked out : )
    We have a 2000 Regal GSE that has twice had a problem with the air bag warning light staying on. The first time it happened, the dealer determined that a loose connector was at fault. Last week it happened again. Today we brought it back to the same Buick dealership. We were told the system is completely disabled and has to be reset. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. All the idiot lights went on (intermittently) for no reason when starting the car. Took the car to the dealer, an "idiot" gave it a diagnostic and said he couldn't find a problem. Drove the car off the lot and all was well.

Next day I start the car and guess what? So...took the car back to the dealer and he replaced the ABS module. It's now a few days later and all is well.

Have the dealer replace the ABS module. From what I was told, the ABS module works alongside the traction control and air bag electronics and is most prone to becoming defective. If the dealer disagrees, then tell him you want the AIR BAG module replaced. If the dealer gives you any problems, call 800-4-A-Buick and ask for the name and number of the Buick territory manager for your area. Give him/her a call with the issue at hand - you're guaranteed to get some quick results.
  • MightyMike242MightyMike242 Member Posts: 8
    I haven't posted in quite a while. My Regal now has about 148,000. It is a 98 GS. I have only had what might be considered two major problems with it although they were not real expensive to fix. I had the belt tensioner on the engine fail (bearing) and a short in the ignition wiring in the steering column. Note that the wiring problem was very similar to the lights/gages issue mentioned above.
    I change oil every 3-4000 miles and rotate the tires every other oil change. It is on it's third set of front brakes, the back haven't been touched and have 50% wear. I am still on the second set of tires. They are Michilen X-Ones.
    Obviously, I am a road warrior. They car still gets what I consider good mileage. I have busted 30mpg on trips and still do.
    GM is trying to terminate the 3800 but is having a tough time doing it. Last time I checked, it will be in production through 2008. The 04 Impala and Monte Carlo get the SC 3800. It appears that the new V-6 might be the new 3600 they will be putting in the Rondevous next year. It gets 240-250hp without an SC.
    I wonder if what you heard/read was that GM is going to terminate the 3800 Series II. They've already started production on the new 3800 Series III ('04 Pontiac GTP is getting this engine).
  • jbmalikjbmalik Member Posts: 10
    All-

I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS with about 17,000 miles. there is a squeak (kind of a chirping sound) coming from what I *think* is the suspension. Happens every time I go over a bump (large or small). Frequency increases when I have (say) a passenger riding in the back. Anyone else experience this?
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    My 97 has the same thing but I usually don't notice it over all the other rattles coming from the dash area.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    What is your assesment of the X-Ones? My main reason for considering them was the alleged low noise level, ride quality and handling (wet and dry). According to Michelin they are the best they sell in a luxury performance tire (according to the ranking per category -- noise, handling, etc). So before I ran off to one of the few places that keep them in stock, I'd love to hear from an actual owner what he thinks as opposed to taking the word of a tire manufacturer.