Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Are you implying that I am on LSD? I am not on any kind of drugs. My driver side mirror has a brownish tint to it. All I was asking was that if anyone else is or has experienced this problem.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    black13...Steven...Send me an e-mail and I'll give you some tips...

bporter1...Brian...Did I say LSD???
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    for your generous input. The fact that my vibration problem showed up following a routine wheel rotation may mean that something [one of the wheels/tires that was in the rear before?] up front is unbalanced in some way. My dealer lacks the Hunter machine. I intend to discuss your info with the service manager anyway and ask for a thorough check of the front end for wear/looseness/misalignment. And maybe do another rotation if nothing shows up. Meanwhile, the miles do pile up fast.
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 1998 Buick Regal and the driver side front window does not operate. I can move the window up or down very easily by gripping the top of the window. The shop manual shows the motor assembled to the window regulator and indicates the motor should not be replaced separately. It seems as if something has disconnected. Has anyone had this problem? I also have a 2001 Regal and so far no window problems.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for posting all the info you did. You covered it much more thoroughly than I did in my posting.

I visited the Hunter site and found a couple of other shops in my area that have the Hunter balancer. They cover the problem from the technical side of matters, which you'd expect them to do. Are you aware of any sites where car owners have gotten together and posted problems/solutions in their dealings with this issue?

Thanks...
    If you are looking for places where Regalgs car owners have gotten together and posted problems and solutions you could try Google and typing that in...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    My info came from the Bonneville groups and LeSabre groups here, along with their discussion of the Deville and Seville having the same problem with large tires and 16 inch rims.

The W Regal is on a different chassis, but probably is susceptible to the same problems as
    suspension parts get lighter and lighter.
    But tire problems are tire problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jbmalikjbmalik Member Posts: 10
    Hello, all.

I am not sure if I am just noticing this for the first time in my 2002 Buick Regal GS, or if it is a brand new 'problem'.

A muted whine is coming from my engine compartment when the rpms go up even slightly, e.g. when I softly rev the engine or even just creep forward.

Maybe it is the normal supercharger noise and I haven't noticed it before, do you fellow owners hear the same?

Separately, how will I know when (if?) my supercharger 'goes bad'?
    It is the supercharger...Just change the oil in the supercharger every 20,000 or so...They'll last well over 100,000 miles...
    I have a 99 GS, and I heard the whine which I thought was my supercharger. The whine started to get worse. I took the car to my local dealer, thinking my supercharger was going bad, turns out it was my transmission. I had an extended warranty so it was covered. The mileage was 55K when the tranny was replaced. I now have 83K on the car.
  • tonyf2tonyf2 Member Posts: 24
    The cable was broken on the window regulator. I purchased the part from a GM parts dealer, cost me $280. (motor included). I searched the internet and could not find anyone who carried this part. It was very simple to replace.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Seems to me the GM transmissions all have a whine to them. My current Buick does also but functions normally and, since out of warranty not much I can do but wait and see.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Dealer rebuilt tranny in our 99 LSE with only 26k two months after warranty expired (like bporter1, we also had extended warranty). Not only whined, but also had some hard low speed shifts. Tranny has been fine since. Now at 36k. Only problem recently was fuel injectors clogged up and had to be cleaned (rough starting), but attribute that to lots of short-trip driving. Now using Techron additive every couple of months.

Still love car, though. New Michelin X-Ones are vast improvement over Eagles.
  • waikikiwaikiki Member Posts: 1
    1)Is the shift console supposed to be illuminated in the standard LS?

It seems strange for it to be dark while the traction control does have a light.

2)Also, is there a way to get reasonably priced passkey duplicates--ie without going through the dealer?

3)I was thinking of having a remote starter installed by an electronics store. what would be the impact on my warranty? good/bad experiences with that?

thanks.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Was going to purchase an 03 but since Bob had de-contented the regal to make it like a camcord, I went with an 02 that still had luxury and useful content. i.e. loaded except for heated seats and on-star.

Traded in my nice 2000 GL Alero, but kept the 2000 Intrigue.

I know it's lonely here on the Buick site vs. the Oldsmobile sites. Don't understand this, as sitting in my garage, I can hardly tell the difference between the Buick Regal and the Olds. Intrigue.

Either have the best automobile engines in production recently. The GM 4.3 truck engine being the ultimate engine today. The 3.8 is not far behind the 4.3 per numerous reports and reviews.

Regal has reportedly won over camcords and mashima in reliability. This is in Nov. consumers and wall street journal. I think, I could be wrong, just dial 3330000 if you disagree.
    alternator bracket on alternator on 79 mustang when it was new -- along with a whole lot of other things, bad strut, loose rear suspension bolts, etc.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    jbmalik, please check your email.
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    Hello Regal Folks! I'm thinking of buying a 2000 suprecharged Regal. I found it on the dealers lot with 45K miles. This car is totally loaded! The asking price is $13,999. How is the overall reliablity for this vehicle? Are there any problems to look for? Is regular fuel OK? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • cth0511cth0511 Member Posts: 1
    According to Consumer Reports, the 2000 Regal gets a "Reliable Used Car" rating. They do not distinguish between the LS and GS models. A supercharged Regal might have lived a hard life, so I would be sure to have it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic before I purchased it. The electrical system should be checked especially.

I bought a new 2003 LS model in May and so far it has been perfect. According to my user's manual, the supercharged Regal GS requires premium fuel of 91 octane or higher. That was one of the reasons I went with the LS instead. (Also the GS was $3,000 more and the insurance was higher.)

Good luck with your decision.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Considering that consumer reports has not had a domestic sedan with #1 reliability rating in at least six years it is truly remarkable that Regal was picked as #1 family sedan for reliability.

They have always been Toyoto, Honda, or Maxima just as all reviews and ratings including Edmunds.

I have considered a Camry but when I follow one and see the tail pipe hanging down close to the ground with about a 15 degree bend I change my mind. If the design engineers did not know that it needed an exhaust until the last minute and hung one on as after thought. How could we trust the rest of the design with this visual monstrosity of engineering?

I just bought a 2002 LS, 8000 miles, Gran touring package, loaded except for onstar and heated seats. Was a local one owner lady. The dealer spoke of $15,995. In our area 03 program LS units are selling from $11,000 to $14,000 or so. The 03 models were de-contented of several items over previous years.

I traded in a 2000 Alero and paid $500 more than Edmunds TMV price would have been. I gave the Buick to my wife and took here 2000 Intrigue as my driver.

Suggest that you use Edmunds TMV pricing and then make your decision. And yes premium fuel is recommended or required for the performance GS.

Check that the intake manifold campaign has been performed.

Have the Co. provide you with Carfax.

Obviously the GS goes for more than the LS normally asperated units. But I have the Gran Touring package Y56 that has the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. as the GS. But not the super charged screamer engine.
    I would have a mechanic check it out, I own a 99 Regal GSE and although I have had the tranny replaced and a couple of problems with the sunroof, and the climate control display, I can't complain too much. The GS does require premium fuel, that is what GM recommends for the SC3800 V6. In a pinch you can use a lower octane but personally I have not tried it. I have 84000 miles on my car. Good luck with your decision. Overall it is a pretty good car.
    2000 Buick Regal GS Sedan 4D

Engine: V6 3.8L Supercharged
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: Front Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 45,000

Equipment
      Gran Touring Pkg
    GSE
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
     Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Dual Front Air Bags
    LH Front Side AirBag
     ABS (4-Wheel)
    Traction Control
    Leather
    Power Seat
    Sliding Sun Roof
    Premium Wheels

Retail Value $14,510
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    That price is too close to retail, I would start with $500 over wholesale on this baby and go from there. At 45,000 no real maint to be done, everything is mostly 50-100,000 miles although I would claim severe service and have them do a tranny fluid change before purchase. Also do an oil change out for the SC as well. These things depreciate greatly so I woiuld not pay anywhere near retail for this car. I will bet, haven't looked, but wholesale is probably closer to $12,000. If tires have not been replaced by now they probably should be. Have them to the air and passenger filters as well if you purchase
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I think $12,500 would be a reasonable price to pay for that car. If they don't hand you the keys I would be surprised.

www.nada.com Trade in around $11,500.

Is this a dealership that may have serviced the car in the past? Ask them for a print out of all the service history on it.

Good luck. And get an extended warranty, but not from the dealership. Do NOT use www.warrantygold.com Try www.warrantydirect.com for a quote.
  • stevieb2stevieb2 Member Posts: 13
    I replaced my AC-Delco plugs at 50k in my 1998 Regal LS with Bosch platinum plugs because they were much cheaper than AC-Delco ($4 cheaper per plug).

After 4 months (4000 miles) I started getting a rough idle. Injector cleaner didn't help and the plug wires were only 6 months old. Dealer said it was due to the Bosch plugs; he said "don't know why, but Regals don't do well with them". Ended up costing me $200 for the new plugs and diagnostics, imagine that, $33 per plug! Guess I learned a valuable lesson.
    I learned long ago not to change brands of plugs.
    I always buy the originals.
    I change plugs that can go 100K at 40K. That way the wires don't get deteriorated by the widened gap in the plugs and I don't have problems with them sticking in the threads.

I buy original equipment PVC valves too.

• stevieb2stevieb2 Member Posts: 13
    I replaced my AC-Delco plugs at 50k in my 1998 Regal LS with Bosch platinum plugs because they were much cheaper than AC-Delco ($4 cheaper per plug).

After 4 months (4000 miles) I started getting a rough idle. Injector cleaner didn't help and the plug wires were only 6 months old. Dealer said it was due to the Bosch plugs; he said "don't know why, but Regals don't do well with them". Ended up costing me $200 for the new plugs and diagnostics, imagine that, $33 per plug! Guess I learned a valuable lesson.
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    The concept shares only the name with the 05 Regal replacement, that is NOT a NEW car, just a revised Regal on the same W-body platform with a new name. Just another deceiving tactic to sell NEW car that is NOT new.
  • gzkemlitegzkemlite Member Posts: 10
    My '99 Santa Fee Red GS with 47,000 has developed a driver side window wind "noise or whistle." Nothing obvious appears wrong with the window or any of the door/window moldings. Seems to be slowly getting worse. Any thoughts?

Overall, my Regal has been a fine car since I purchased new. I have always taken good care of it..no car washes and a wax job couple times a yr. You know when you begin to tire owning a certain vehicle, but not with this Regal...four years old and it still runs and looks like new. I have had to deal with some of the same problems discussed on this site: climate display, temp sensor, window motor, chronic oil drip, but nothing so major to cause me to loose interest.

I enjoy the hell out of driving my Regal with its superb balance of luxury and sport! You LS owners don't know what you are missing...The 3800 SC coupled with the touring suspension makes this car a joy to drive.
    It's a great driver. As to the wind noise, it must be that the window is not seating properly when closed - loose stripping?; something bent?; maybe the door is what doesn't fit right.

I, too, had a Sierra Red '99 LS, standard suspension, which I traded for my current '02 LS Abboud. There were some tranny and gas mileage issues with the red car as the warranty ran out. The Touring springs in the new car make a lot of difference. Although the design is getting old, [the new Chevy Malibu is almost a ringer for my car - with a matching MSRP to boot!] it's still a ball to drive - which leads me to my only problem - the miles pile up too fast! I'm thinking '06, the second year of the new model [LaCrosse?]
    ...and if you want to really make it handle better, and for not too much money...look into GMPP's Handling Kit...

GM PART # 12456148

GM LIST: $201.89
    OUR PRICE: $119.80
    DESCRIPTION: Grand Prix, Impala and Monte Carlo Handling Upgrade Kit
    This suspension kit is intended to reduce body roll and chassis flex while enhancing cornering capabilities.
    Kit is for use on 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix and 2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo. Handling Kit inlcudes all hardware and bushings to replace exsisting sway bars and to add the strut tower brace, and consist of: P/N 12498642 Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar, P/N 12498643 Heavy Duty Front Sway Bar, P/N 12498649 Rear Tubular Trailing Arm Kit which contains two trailing arms P/N 10409660(ARMS NOT PICTURED), and P/N 12456148 Strut Tower Brace.

An additional strut brace P/N 12456148 can be ordered for rear strut tower, but is a labor intensive installation. LIMITED SUPPLY, POSSIBLE BACKORDER.

If you are adding this to a vehicle that does not have a rear sway bar from the factory you will have to modify the install brackets in order to install this rear sway bar. Installation instructions are provided with these strut tower bars.

Prices shown are from GMPartsDirect...
    I have a 99 Regal and my driver door does not fit right, so I have a little wind noise. I now have 84K miles and the door has been that way since I bought the car. I really never worried about it.
    Thanks for your thoughts on my wind noise...it's really more of a whistle. The noise seems to be coming from the corner of the glass just opposite the the mirror. This problem only surfaced a few months ago and seems to be worsening. Never gave the door a thought, however, the door certainly looks properly aligned. I have examined the window as best as I can...sure looks to be seating snuggly in the rubber molding. There is no slop in the glass. I have tried to push the glass while driving in an effort to change pitch of the noise without success.

Any of you guys ever change your Dex antifreeze? I have searched for the radiator valve, but find nothing that looks like a valve. There is a kind of white flat plastic plug on the drivers side that might be the valve, but it does not want to move...I'm afraid to put to much pressure on it for fear of breaking it. Any thoughts?

Good advice: Change your cabin filter! Makes a huge difference. I did it this summer according to the instructions someone posted on this site months ago. Maybe took 10 or 15 minutes. You'd never guess it was installed on the engine side of the firewall. Another thing, the GM replacement filter was about $12 vs $20 for an Auto Zone filter.
    Hello everyone...

Today I am having the valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced to the tune of $805 after tax.
    Thanks Buick!

And thank you warrantygold.com for voiding my warranty and thousands of others you have ripped off. I am out of pocket in full... this one is going to small claims.

I'm not bitter, I knew of the oil leak issues before I bought the car... (ext warranty would normally pay for this)

By the way, it's a 1998 GS with 70,000 miles on it. Hopefully this is the last oil leak issue I will have until the car is sold in the next couple years.

Dealer also mentioned something about the water pump dripping on some belts??? has anybody ever heard of this? They are fishing for another $330 to fix this.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    That white plug on the drivers side is your radiator drain plug. As I recall, I sprayed WD40 on the plug to loosen it, and it only turns 1/4 turn. I have changed the antifreeze in my 98 Regal twice already. At 24000 miles, the Dexcool turned orange, and only tested to 10 degrees F. I know you are not supposed to, but I replaced it with regular Prestone. I replaced it again at 80000 miles. I am at 95,000 miles now.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    If water is leaking out of your water pump on to your belts, you need a new or rebuilt pump. If you don't want to pay Mr Goodwrench, you may want to get a second quote from an independant shop that you trust.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I had to pay $250 to replace my water pump. It was not done at the dealer.
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    My '99 LS developed the intake manifold coolant leak problem. After about 5 years of running perfectly suddenly the plugs were fouled and I was looking at major engine work. The coolant got low and I didn't know because the light never came on. Bottom line cost after they did every thing they deemed necessary (2 days of work) was $1,700 and this was after I whined and got a 10% discount from the service manager. Car has 97k on it so nothing was covered. This was a real kick in the teeth because I'd been very careful with the car.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Any comments on the Regal's replacement for 2005? <http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6804&sid=173&n=156> The lines look OK but there is nothing special about the front end. Looks like a cross between a Kia Amanti, baby Benz and a Taurus.
    Looks like the current Century from the front [not good], but the rest seems OK. What counts most is what's inside and what's under the hood. I'd like to see 250+ HP [on regular gas]; 30+ mpg HWY; bigger brakes, better handling with a softer ride, maybe AWD?, a 5 speed trans, all the present goodies plus a CD changer, XM radio and a major upgrade to the interior. And a sticker well under $30K. Just a dream, I know.
  • steven10steven10 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone. I have a quick question about a clunking in the dash of my 99 Regal.
      The last couple of weeks there has been a clunking similar to the noise all cars make when you first turn the heat or a/c on. It sounds like the panels behind the dash are moving to recirculate the air output, from floor to windshield etc. I checked the air output and it does not change when I hear the clunk. It is now to the point that it does this fairly regular and multiple times every couple of minutes. Anyone heard of this or had this happen to their Regal? I do have the climate control system and it has been replaced once already. Thanks in advance.
    Could be just the freezing cold there in MI...Metal shrinkage so not as tight a fit...
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Jack44,

I presume this kit fits the Regal GS... I have a '98.
      You also note an "our price"?? What's the deal, how does one buy at this price?

Ed
  • cholliechollie Member Posts: 17
    Could the owners of the early nineties Regal check on the doorpost or wherever and tell me where their vehicle was manufactured. Canada or the U.S.?
    Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com

"Our price" is the price you pay...But they do add a Shipping charge...
    Gzkemlite, that was me who posted the instructions on the cabin filter a while back (fun project, huh?), but I was curious about your comment regarding its cost. My Buick dealer now wants $24 for the filter element while NAPA charges $12.73 with AAA discount (Minneapolis area).

Regarding Dexcool: like Mrrogers, I also had the system flushed and filled with ethylene glycol (green stuff) after the warranty expired. Have heard numerous stories about "Death Cool" to convince me to switch. Best friend had head gaskets replaced in his 2000 Malibu. Hopefully, GM has developed stronger gaskets and other components that can stomach the stuff in their 2001 and newer cars.

By the way, I had the system power flushed twice. Need to get ALL of the Dexcool out. Make sure the heater core and coolant recovery tank are flushed, too.

If you decide to continue using Dexcool, word on the street is don't wait the recommended five years or 100k miles to flush it. And make sure the system is full (to the top of the radiator cap). Never let air get into the system, and never top off with ethylene glycol (green) or the Dexcool could turn to gel and ruin almost everything it touches (radiator, cylinder heads, radiator hoses, head gaskets, the whole nine yards).

For those who have had to pay for expensive head gasket repairs, check for "Dexcool" in Google.com. You might find a link or two to class action lawsuits filed against GM.
    Hey tsu670, So that was you who posted the filter instructions. Thanks for the help! Could never have done it w/o you. Actually, the whole project was pretty simple except for wiggling the new filter back into position. I'll probably do the job every year cause the interior smells so good with the new filter. I recall going to Autozone for the replacement but they were out of stock. Said they have 'em in a few days. On the way home I stopped at the dealer and paid about $12 for a GM filter.
    Re Dexcool...now you're scaring me with your stories. I flushed and replaced with Dex for the 1st time at 40,000 (3.5yrs). Maybe I'll flush every other yr from now on just like with the green stuff.
    Got any ideas about the wind noise I talk about in a previous post?
    Sorry gzkemlite, not much help with wind noise. Let's see, the mirror is one of those fold away kinds, right? Any chance it may have been bumped so it is folded in just a fraction instead of all the way out?

Re: Dexcool, if you had it changed at 40k and 3 1/2 years, that's well before the 100k and 5 years GM recommends, so it should be just fine. Actually, I'd say you done good!
  • rbritlandrbritland Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 Regal (automatic headlights). When the headlights come on, the radio, climate control, and odometer dim to almost unreadable and the instrument cluster and switches in the doors and streering wheel don't light. Every once in a while the lights all come on normally for a few seconds. I suspect a poor ground in the circuit. Does anyone know where to find the ground, or does anyone have any other ideas? I checked all the fuses. I can't tell how fast I'm going while driving in the dark.