Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    My '99 LS has developed the oddest squeaking noise coming from the dashboard gauge area. It is an incessant, annoying, non-rhythmic type squeaking noise. Playing with controls like climate control or audio has no effect on the noise. Movement of the car has no effect. The only thing that stops it is shutting off the ignition. It stopped for a week or so once and now it's back. Any ideas??
  • dlt1dlt1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 1999 Regal. My problem turned out to be a bad dimmer switch.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Not sure if this is the same as what you are describing, but had dash squeak in '99 LSE that I traced to where top of plastic bezel meets padded dash in the area that lines up just over the tach. Was able to take hand with fingures on top of dash and thumb on plastic bezel and quickly squeeze the two parts together and make it happen. Drove me nuts during cold weather. Gently pryed the two pieces open a little to swab the offending area using a Q-tip sprayed with WD-40. Repeating as necessary.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FWIW...that dash squeek is very common with Hondas and Acuras. A li'l WD-40 goes a looong way.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Patrick Bedard is an editor at Car and Driver magazine. A few years ago, he did an article on the nonreflective coating that his optometrist applied to the lenses of his glasses. He stated that it really helped reduce the glare when he drives at night. I tried it, and it works. If you wear glasses, I would recommend it as at least a partial fix to the Xenon headlight glare problem.
    Under the trunk lid of our Regal is a sticker that has a series of codes listed on it. Not sure what they are, but guessing they might relate to the various options on the car. Does anyone know where one can find a table to translate those codes. Just curious.
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    Here was our Buick Regal line up back in 2001.

http://redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Buicklineup0004.jp- g

Left to right 85 T-Type,86 T-Type,91 Limited,98 GS,and 00 LS.We live in the country so they werent too clean when I took the picture.We stil own all of them except for the 98 GS which was traded for the 02 Rendezvous CXL AWD pictured below.

http://redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Rendezvous1.jpg

We are very dissapointed with the 02 Rendezvous.It has the underpowered intake gasket leaking 3400 V-6 in it plus in the last month we have gone thru(2)BCM's on it.Some RDV owners are already on their 6th BCM.Ours is out of factory warranty on 3-23-04 and it may be going down the road.

We starting running Buick Regals in 1984 and they were always very dependable.The worst thing we ever had happen was a power window motor.

By the way if you own a 3.1 or 3.4 GM V-6 powered vehicle please read this to save your self some problems.
    http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/
    ...but it had only a few references to Buicks in the scores and scores of incidents reported in the Guestbook section. So many were Chevy Malibus and Ventures; Pontiac Montanas, Grand Ams and Grand Prixs; and Oldsmobile Silhouettes and Aleros. Only saw a couple of Centurys and Park Aves, and no Regals. It isn't possible the head gaskets used in Buick engines would be any different that the other models in GM's lineup, is it? Or is it more likely there are a buch of Buick owners out there with Dex-Cool issues that we just aren't hearing about?
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    If Bedard can do something about the glare, so can I. Or else, I can just get a Hummer with the extra light package...
    I was just on a website last night where a 76 yr old woman said her 99 Century 3.1 had an intake gasket leak at 44,000 miles that cost her $800 and she wasnt happy.I think Buick owners tend to be a little older and are less vocal about their problems.The 3.1 and 3.4 gaskets are all the same.Plastic intake manifolds are alot of the problem.Some will leak and lots never will.

I was recently on a Venture owners website that has nearly 300 owners with intake gasket problems.I was on another website that had tons of complaints of leaking 3.1-3.4 intakes.The poor Venture owners seem to take the worst of it.

All 2000-2003 3800 GM owners had a recall for potential leaky intake gasket problems and you dont see much problems with them on the internet.We just had our 2000 LS Regal in the shop for this recall.

We have driven 3.8-3800 V-6 Buicks for years with very few problems.One of the greatest engines ever built.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Is this a common problem with these headlight plastic housings? Has anybody replaced them and if so, what is the best place to buy besides looking on Ebay? Are the bulbs too hot for the plastic? I don't get it... just another quality issue here from General Motors.

Thanks
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What exactly was done to the 2000-2003 3.8l engines in reference to the recall? Are any of the 2004s affected?
    Yes, I would tend to believe that Buick owners are a litter older and not as vocal as, say, Chevy or Pontiac owners.

My son just bought an '03 Century with the 3.1L V6 (Hertz rental return). 23k miles. The first day he had it I took it in to have the Dex-cool changed out (still under warranty, so didn't convert to green stuff). There was some yellowish crud at the top of the radiator filler neck, but overflow tank was clean, as was the original coolant. An optimist on the Century Townhall guessed the crud was probably stop-leak that GM put in.

Anyway, I'm curious; is there any chance GM has improved on their notorious plastic intake manifold gaskets installed at the factory since '01 on the 3.1L and 3.4L engines?
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Hi folks.

Curious to know if anyone has experienced a dash rattle (over bumps/uneven payment) that seems to be coming from the top of the dashboard on the passenger side. It's driving me nuts and if someone has already bagged a fix for it, I'd like to know. Many thanks,

-jbm
    I'm sitting here looking at the recall notice for our 2000 LS Regal.Its for all 2000-2003 3800 Series II engines and of course mine says Buick since thats what we have.It says some engines have developed coolant leaks at the upper intake manifold to throttle body gasket or at the lower intake to upper intake gasket.

What GM will do is replace the engine throttle body fasteners with redesigned fasteners and add cooling system sealent to the radiator tank at no charge thru July 31,2005.If you have already paid to have this corrected before 8-8-03 then they will reinburse you for parts,labor,fees,and taxes.

The 2004's must be OK from the factory?

I find it strange that GM recall's the 3800's for potential intake leaks when the 3.1's and 3.4's are having far-far more problems.I can literally find thousands of them on the internet.For ever one thats mentioned on the internet there 100's,maybe 1000's that arent.

Heres a service bulletin dated March 2003 about the 3.1-3.4 intake gasket problem.It tells about the new improved gasket which they say still has the same part # as the old one.I have heard that most every 3.1-3.4 GM V-6 built from 1995 to Oct 2003 has the potential for a leaking intake gasket.Some will leak while others never will.

http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/gmservbull.pdf

Our 2000 LS Regal has the famous dash rattle too.It comes and goes.It drives my wife crazy.
    Why in the world would GM add a coolant sealing liquid to the radiator if the new fasteners, supposedly, will fix the potential or real problem?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Sealant had been added to the radiators at the factory for decades(?), or at least a long time. With the dexcool is caused a discoloration in the reservoir tank and that didn't look good to a buyer who checks under the hood. So GM started leaving it out in 2000.

The tablets are about the size of a quarter and 1/2 inch thick. Somewhere I had read what they contained to act as a sealant.

I have changed the coolant in my 98 two times and I wondered if some of the sealer may have been flushed out. Plus the intake manifold and gasket had been replaced. I bought the tablets and put 2 into the tank while the car was hot.

I feel it will seal a minor seep somewhere.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

For giggles I went into Buick.com and sent an e-mail via the "Contact Buick" button asking if 1) there was indeed a new head gasket to replace the plastic one; 2) if so, can a Buick owner request a replacement before the warranty expires; and 3) if replacing Dexcool with green coolant would void the factory warranty. Here's the response:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have researched this matter for you and I do not have information on any planned changes to the intake manifold gasket.

Parts can not be replaced under the 36,000-mile/36 month warranty unless there is a manufacturers defect on that part.

In regards to changing the engine coolant, I have found the following in the owner's manual under section 5-23 and 5-24.

Engine Coolant
    The cooling system in your vehicle is filled with DEX-COOL® engine coolant. This coolant is designed to remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles (240 000 km), whichever occurs first, if you add only DEX-COOL® extended life coolant.

The following explains your cooling system and how to add coolant when it is low. A 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and DEX-COOL coolant will:

o Give freezing protection down to -34 F (-37 C).
    o Give boiling protection up to 265 F (129 C).
    o Protect against rust and corrosion.
    o Help keep the proper engine temperature.
    o Let the warning lights and gages work as they should.

Notice: When adding coolant, it is important that you use only DEX-COOL (silicate-free) coolant.

If coolant other than DEX-COOL is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner - at 30,000 miles (50,000 km) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Damage caused by the use of coolant other than DEX-COOL is not covered by your new vehicle warranty.

What to Use
    Use a mixture of one-half clean, drinkable water and one-half DEX-COOL coolant which won't damage aluminum parts. If you use this coolant mixture, you don't need to add anything else.

CAUTION:
    Adding only plain water to your cooling system can be dangerous. Plain water, or some other liquid such as alcohol, can boil before the proper coolant mixture will. Your vehicle's coolant warning system is set for the proper coolant mixture. With plain water or the wrong mixture, your engine could get too hot but you wouldn't get the overheat warning. Your engine could catch fire and you or others could be burned. Use a 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and DEX-COOL coolant.
    Notice: If you use an improper coolant mixture, your engine could overheat and be badly damaged. The repair cost wouldn't be covered by your warranty. To much water in the mixture can freeze and crack the engine, radiator, heater core and other parts.

If you have to add coolant more than four times a year, have your dealer check your cooling system.

Notice: If you use the proper coolant, you don't have to add extra inhibitors or additives which claim to improve the system. These can be harmful.

I hope that this is of assistance to you. I have created a file to document your inquiry, please refer to file 1-''''''''' when corresponding about this matter.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Buick Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-521-7300. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Buick.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Bastian
    Customer Relationship Manager
    Buick Customer Assistance Center
  • bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    I was just cruising your Regal board and was interested to see the posts about dexcool. My brother sent me a link to GM about a study they (GM) did on the stuff. I thought I saved it but I can't find in on my computer. If I do I'll post.
        Anyway, the conclusion of the study was that dex-cool does what it was designed to do. The problem seems to be that when it gets contaminated it gels and becomes toxic to the gaskets, heater core, ect. I'm sorry that I can't remember more about the specifics (I read it about 3 years ago) but it seems that when it goes bad something grows (organic?) in it. The main cause of this contamination was traced to a few things. Air getting into the system (as stated above), topping your radiator with reg. antifreeze, and RUST.
        It seems they found that the underside of the radiator caps were the major cause of this. The advice was to replace the caps when even a slight amount of discoloration was found. I think they even had a recall on some early GMs that first used the stuff. I'm not sure what kind of caps the newer Regals have (I'm a '00 Intrigue owner thinking of getting an LS). I know that the Intrigue has a plastic cap and I've got 80,000mi. on it with no problems with the antifreeze or cooling system. I'd say that you should check the level of the dex-cool every time you check your oil and keep it full at all times. I also wouldn't mix dex-cool with "drinking" water and instead use a 50/50 pre mixed dex-cool. Just my $.02.
        Guess this isn't much help without the artical, as I'm not that good at explaining things. I'll give it a good look tomorrow and post the link if I can find it.
        As long as I'm here, I'm thinking of buying a used LS Regal and wondered if you good folks have any advice? They have some '03 in the paper out here for about $13,000 with 25 - 30Kmi on them. Its between a LS and another Intrigue but I'm not having much luck locating the Olds. Am I right to assume that if an LS has alloy wheels that it comes with the touring package? I've looked at tons of LS listings and they never list the GT package as an option, but some have wheel covers and some have alloy wheels. Also, if it's two tone paint does it have the Abboud(sp) package. I won't get one unless it has the stiffer suspension. Thanks for any advice. Hope to be a regular if I can find the right LS.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    When they say not to add anything other then dexcool they are correct unless you do a complete flush and assure that only clean water is running out. then you can refill with the green stuff and you will be fine. Change every 2-3 years.

There there is the infamous Toyota red coolant. Love it, can't tell the diff between the coolant and the PS fluid or tranny fluid if a leak develops.

Ah, brilliant minds!!!!
    The recommendation is to keep the dexcool. It IS much better with the aluminum and other metals in today's engines. The silicates in the green stuff don't work as well. I asked about getting it out of my 3800 LeSabre after the intake manifold leak (slight).

The key is don't leave the stuff in there for a long time. Change it two years or 24000 miles. The stuff is relatively cheap.

Be sure the radiator is filled completely at the cap, not just the reservoir. There's something about air present that had caused breakdown of the coolant. Imagine coolant blasting past an air entrapment and mixing with it all the time the engine is running and hot.

I'd recheck for the full level after a few days of driving to be sure any trapped air from the heat core isn't still in the radiator cap area.

• coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Look under the trunk lid for code Y56. This is the gran touring package. The tires and wheels will be 16" alloy. There was a prerequisite for another luxury package before the GT suspension package could be ordered. I bought a 2002 that was bought new by a GM employee as I did not find a program unit with the GT suspension.

Also Bob de-contented the 2003 as he did throughout GM.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at some Regals this weekend. They're '03's ( about 12 of them at one dealers)and they seem to have most of what I'm looking for. I figure they must be rentals or lease returns. They all have the same options on them and include leather seats and alloy wheels. I'll run any vin #'s through carfax if they look worth it. I thought $13,000 sounded like a pretty good deal. The ones with fewer miles cost more of course. I'll have to compare an '02 to an '03 to see what the content differences are. Still would love to find an '02 Intrigue GL, maybe sky blue with a bose system in it with about 20Kmi on it. Love that 3.5L engine. I can dream i guess, but in the mean time I'll just keep looking. Buick, here I come
        Thanks for the advice. Sorry I haven't been able to find the link about Dex Cool but I'll check with my brother to see if he still has it. Thanks again.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Bennycheck...Just look at the Regal GS...Lots more power than LS and lot's more fun...Big difference...

...And you can always install your own Gran Touring Supension after you buy...New sway bars, strut tower braces, and traction control arms...You get all the parts at WWW.gmpartsdirect.com

Very inexpensive upgrade...
    Yea, the GS is a great car but the extra $.20/ gal and higher insurance I can live without. That plus the fact that the wife will be driving it more than me. I did some more research today and coonhound is right. The '03 has a lot less standard equipment than the '02. No ABS, Magna steer, traction control, side air bag, cd, sw radio controls, duel zone climate control,and some other stuff. You can also get alloy wheels without the gt suspension with 15" wheels on the '03. Almost made a mistake on that last one. They list the suspension as a "sport suspension" but it's not the gt.
        As for doing it my self, not my thing. I'll change my own oil, filters, and brakes, but that's about it. I'll start a new search for a '02 LS tomorrow and keep my hopes up that I might find a nice '02 Intrigue or Aurora.

coonhound: Thanks again for the info on the '02 vs the '03. I guess Bob can be pretty sneaky. Later.
    Hey guys, I posted the problem of a dash rattle and I found the solution myself. Occasionally the panel for the fuse box (right side of the dash, panel that runs parallel to the right front passenger door) will rattle, it's just a matter of pushing it back in. Just an FYI.
  • rbritlandrbritland Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to dlt1 for post #2517. I took the headlight switch out of my 1999 Regal and found a badly burned terminal where the wiring harness plugs in. I took the swich apart, wire brushed each electrical connection then sprayed it with electronic contact cleaner. When I got it all back together I had two tiny brass bullets left over and possibly tiny missing springs to go with them. I couldn't figure out where they came from, but the switch is as good as new and all the lights work properly now.

By the way, the switch is made in Mexico, the headlight assemblies are made in England, and the car was built in Canada. Is there anything on this U.S. car made in the U.S.? No wonder there is so much unemployment in this country!
    My wife is thrilled with her 2002 Buick Regal, and she should be. It only has 8500 miles on it and was a local one owner lady driver. But I liked the 8 speaker 200 watt monsoon sound that my wife will not let my crank it up. Now moving along I took over her 2000 GX Intrigue and she was not thrilled to give it up even with 49,000 miles on it. The Intrigue has had the intermediate shaft & steering rack replaced under warranty. The Ignition switch was just replaced as a cost of $362.00.
    My opinion is that I feel better with The old tough 3.8 push rod engine. The 3.5 is great but I have concerns that if it ever has a problem I'll have to mortgage the house to pay for the repair. The 3.8 made Wards ten best two years in a row, and the 3.5 only made it once. The 3.5 is smoother and quieter and has the higher rpm torque curve that most people like. But the 3.8 has a better low end torque. I was surprised to find that the 3.8 spec is for 10/30 oil. I didn't know that GM recommended anything other than 5/30. As a result the Buick gets about 1 to 2 mpg less than the Intrigue with 5/30 Mobil 1. Also the Regal was rated #1 in mid sized sedan reliability by Consumers Bible, surpassing the camcords and Maxima.
    My vote by a small margin is for the Regal.
    difference between 30 and 30 synthetic is causing a difference in gas mileage. Isn't 30 weight defined by flow viscosity at a certain temperature? That would be the same for any 30 weight oil, plus and minus tolerances.

The more research I do on the Buick, the more I tend to agree with you that it would be the better long term buy. I've been very lucky with the '00 Intrigue. I've got 80Kmi on it and have only replaced the hvac fan (about $180) so far. It's going in next week for the ISS lube as I think I am starting to feel the problem that others on the Intrigue board have described. I have driven a Bonneville (my brothers) with the 3.8L and it has alot of power, but I still like the 3.5L better. Just feels smoother and more refined to me. Parts could be a problem down the road, but GM says they'll support them for 10 years which would take us to 2013.
        As for the searching, not much luck so far. A ton of '03 LS rentals that don't look to bad. None have the GT suspension. Many don't have ABS or traction control. That's a must for my neck of the woods (central NY). The thing I find very odd is that there are very very few '02 Regals or Intrigues to be found. Took a test drive in an Aurora on Sunday. Nice riding car but was surprised at how small the trunk was compared to the Intrigue. No fold down rear seats either. I have to admit if I could find a 4.0 with low mi. in good shape, I would be tempted. What ever I end up with, it will have to be soon. Want to take it to NC for vacation in early April. Hope I don't have to compromise too much. I'll keep you posted.
    ...which is a great improvement over the stock setup, includes 16" alloy wheels [not the 15's you'll see on a lot of LS's], fatter tires, AND vented discs in front [VERY good for avoiding the dreaded WARP chatter], and, I think, stiffer shocks. All '02 GS's have the GT suspension, as well as all Abboud LS's, like mine. Visually, the tipoff is the 16" alloy wheels, which they're still installing on the '04's. Good luck hunting!
    Hi all, I have a 2002 Buick Regal GS with 26,000 miles, and I am considering dropping $1000+ via AAA on an extended warranty so I'm covered for (say) up to 75,000 miles. But I've also heard that as a general rule of thumb, extended warranties aren't worth the extra expense. For all you Regal GS owners with extended warranties, do you feel they've paid off?
    I didn't know that you have a 2000 intrigue. You must just want a newer car as the Intrigue should just be broken in good and ready to boogy.
    Verdi942; that reminds me of when I used to go down to Verdi Valley from Flagstaff on the weekends just to warm up. But moving along, The GT package is standard on the GS, and is in fact a little more beefed up than the LS Gran Touring package. The gran touring package has larger rotors but are not ventilated as you report the GS are. We got to stop that turbo power once we get it goin. As I see it the gran touring suspension is just about like the Intrigue standard suspension. GM supposedly purchased Carbon shock Mfg. in France for the Intrigue's shocks and struts. The French have the ride and control down as evidenced by the rid of the Renault, Peugeot, and Citron. The rest of the car ?????????.
    We purchased one from Warranty Direct and less than a year later had to have the tranny rebuilt in our '99 LSE just after the mnftr warranty expired. Paid $1050 for the warranty; repair came to $1554. With $0 deductible it was well worth the investment.

Up until then I wasn't much of a fan of extd warranties, but with the cost of auto repairs going the way of medical bills, it's almost as if you have to have some sort of coverage in the same way you have to have medical insurance.

Sometimes they have promotions at warrantydirect.com. There's a link from the Edmunds home page ("Get a free extended warranty quote"). When we signed up they had a $100 discount, but that was a few years ago. I'd be curious if there are any better deals out there with different companies these days. Be careful, though. You need to be comfortable that the company you pick will still be there for the entire term of your agreement.
    Coonhound, My brother found a link for the Dex cool info. It's not the same as the first one he sent me but states the same things in a shorter form. It's http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-johnbru- nner.htm
        The big surprise is that I hit pay dirt today. I was out working at Syracuse University (about an hour away from home) and when I left I took a wrong turn and got lost. When I found the right road I noticed a small Chevy dealership and pulled in to see if they had any Intrigues or Regals. A salesman was on me before I had my car in park. Asked him if he had an '01 or '02 Regal. He had one that had just come in yesterday. An '01 LS. It had 16" alloy wheels and when I checked the options sticker it listed the GT package. It also had every other option you could get including the monsoon stereo, on star, and heated leather seats. It's a two tone paint (sliver/gray) and when I asked him how many miles it had I couldn't believe my ears. Just 10,700. Ran a carfax on it. One owner lease. Clean. Took it out for a drive. What a great car. Needless to say I took the wife back after work so she could test drive it. She LOVED it. Crunched the numbers and traded in my 95 Mazda with 144Kmi on it. I'm picking it up tomorrow night after work. I can't believe that after a month of looking all over I stumbled on this car by mistake and in less that 2 days the whole deal is done. Guess its better to be lucky than good sometimes. Hope it turns out to be a good car. They're trying to sell me an extended warranty with it from a company called Heritage Plus Warranty Insurance. About $1300 for 75,000mi bumper to bumper (0 deduct). They didn't have a copy of the contract and I never heard of this company before. Says I have to buy it when I take delivery of the car. Anyone ever heard of them? The cost seem to be about the same as Warranty Direct or 1Source. Can't find out much about them on the web or BBB. If the dealer gives me some time to think it over I might go with them, but not tomorrow.
       Well thanks again everyone. The advice has been priceless. Sorry the link for the dex cool has to be typed. For some reason I couldn't paste it as a highlighted link. Hope it helps. Later
    The link did work.
    There was another site that had a lot of info from Texaco and GM about the same info, Keep it full and use the radiator cap, on some models, with the spring loaded small valve. I changed these on my Astro and an S10 I had. Also on a Dynasty that I switched over to Dexcool. Changing the water pump on a 3 liter Dynasty one time is enough.
    I'm glad you found a fine Buick LS with all the whistles. The wife,s does not have heated seats and on star but has all the frivolous stuff, dimming heated mirrors, lighted vanity mirrors, driver side airbag, traction control, tire pressure monitor, auto temp control dual, and the mileage monitor. And probably some more stuff I haven't found yet.
    Anyone know what happened to the Intrigue board. Did they kill it (like the car) or is it under repair or something? Hope not. I've gotten alot of helpful info off it.
        Thinking of an extended warranty for the new (to me) Regal. 1Source looks like the best all around deal. Anyone have any experience with them or other companies? Talked to a few macanichs who said they haven't had much luck dealing with 3rd party warranties. I'm a little gun shy to spend $1,200 just to buy a headache. Any thoughts?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Intrigue discussion was MIA for a bit. It's back now.

Heh, yeah, I guess it was under repair ... under repair from a host who clicked a few things too quickly, but said host would be happy if we would not go there.

:D
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    For a while now my wife's Regal GS has been making a sqeaking sound from one of the pulleys in the engine bay usually when it was cold. Well the other day I was driving it and I noticed there was a lot less power and a quick check of the boost gauge showed not boost, but it was driving fine. Well I got it home expectiing the worst (dead super charger), but when I opened the hood I found the SC belt laying inside the engine bay and the idler pulley gone. Apparently the pulley's barrings seezed and the plastic part of the pulley shreded. I went to the dealer the next day and bought a new pulley $40.00, the belt was fine. It took me 10 minutes to put the pulley and belt on. So if your car sqeaks in the same way you may want to take off the SC belt and check any of the free spinning pulleys, I think there are 3, and replace any that are not right. I also changed the SC oil, it took two of the 4oz bottles.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
    Dan1, I had the same thing happen to my 2002 Regal GS with 24000 miles, over this past Xmas, but the moderator of this board took it off for whatever reason.

Except my problem was just the idle pulley seizing and hence shredding the belt (nothing wrong with the supercharger and pulley).

My car is still under warranty so it was fixed without charge, but I was disappointed because the Regals (specifically the 2002 and 03) have been getting very good reliability reviews.

The mechanic said he believed it was "an assembly error" and "someone [in the manufacturing plant] probably didn't tighten a bolt well enough." Gasp, that's encouraging.

I encourage all Regal owners (on their next maintenance visit) have the mechanic inspect all the pullies and belts. Luckily this mishap didn't happen on (say) a highway.

Other than that I've had very good luck with my Regal. I love my car but I still have 3 years left on the loan and I WANT THAT CHRYSLER 300C!!!!
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    Hey Regal People, I got it!!!(See "Should I Buy?",p. 125, #2481). The car had been sitting there since Thanksgiving, and the dealer was ready to move it. With my trade in, the price came down to $10, 600. I couldn't say "no" to that...So far, I LOVE IT !!! The supercharged mistique and the understated elegance make this a fantastic vehicle at a great price! Of course as always, time will tell...I'll check this site from time to time for Q. & A. and to keep you posted...
  • polkpolk Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Regal that has been sitting about a year. Prior to that I had pretty regular problem with it starting. It would turn over, do everything but fire. I'd wait 3-4 minutes and try again, sometimes it would take 3-4 tries before it would start. It always did eventually start. It would happen when the egine was warm or cold, there didn't seem to be any pattern but it did happen almost daily. It was in the shop a couple times. The last option I had heard was replacing a sensor, I don't remember too well, they thought there was a 50/50 shot of this fixing it. Any experiences like this?
    When do we expect to see the new Lacrosse?
    "This "new" car is basically a rebodied Century/Regal with a slightly longer wheelbase, more sound deadening, a reworked suspension and steering, better fit 'n' finish [good], and a lot less content in the base model [bad]. Same old 3.8/4 speed auto until you get to the top of the line CSX."

Let me see, different suspension, different body, different sound control different steering, different fit-n-finish... sounds like a new design to me.

You're trying to say the 1999 LeSabre (I have a 98) is the same as 2003 LeSabre (I have an 03) because they have the same name and 3800 engine it therefore cannot be a new car. My 03 drives completely differently from the 98.

Is the LaCrosse design a new design or reworked? Someone can give us a definitive answer. I'd expect the LaCrosse to use the technology of the current LeSabre just as the LeSabre adopted and improved the Park Avenue from 1998 redesign.

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't know about LeSabres, but my '02 Regal drives exactly like my '99 did, except for the GT springs that I added to the '02 improving things a lot. When Chevy Malibus come with most of what the new car will have, including the 200 HP, and remote start, and Lexuses [Lexii?] are two generations ahead of that, it'll take a BIG $$$ incentive to put me in a new Buick in '05. I hate to say it, but at full price, the foreigners give you more. From about '98 to '01, the Regal was competitive with the competition in content, performance, even quality. But now? I mean, where's the 5 or 6 speed transmission? AWD? RWD? Memory seats? Bigger brakes? Better defrost? Air bags all around? Hybrid option? Sure, the new LaCrosse CSX sounds like a good car, but I want to see America beat the world at what we used to do best. [End of rant].
    The 02 Regal is the same car as the 99; I don't believe there was a redesign. The LeSabre was redesigned, adapting the PAve platform in 03, thus it's difference from the 98.

The LaCrosse is a new design. Different from the 02. It looks like a Park Avenue graceful design crossed with some of the Volvelike boxiness of the LeSabre. (Any 3800 enginewith the strength it has in a boxy look that can give 33 mpg at 72 mph with three passengers and luggage on a trip to Nashville has my support.)

• evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    My tires (Dunlop Sport A2's) are wearing unevenly with bad cupping on the edges. My tire guy says it due to worn out struts!
     Have a 120k miles (yes miles) on the car & the struts are original.

Has anybody changed these... what did you use as replacments? GM, Monroe,Koni etc?

Ed
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    It's a '98 Regal GS! Sorry.