Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I changed mine at Sears when they had a 50% off sale on Monroe. They had different sales that same more at times; I believe they have free installation also; but I waited. The salesman can tell you when the better sale pricing is upcoming.
    The Monroes they sell have a much more controlled ride than the original struts did even when new. I can't believe you got 120K out of them. What does the car ride like now?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    The car actually rides fine, but I don't think it's holding the road as well as it used to. But there is no wheel bouncing or anything like that!
      The thing with struts is that they degrade very slowly so one doesn't notice any quick changes.
     So, you're saying the Monroes handle better than the GM originals? Is your car a GS?

Ed
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    If you want to change struts...Look at GMPP's strut replacement...www.gmpartsdirect.com

KYB GR2's are also very good...
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Jack44!. I checked the GMPP site & all I could find was special lowering struts which are way more than I can afford.( over $700 )
      Any idea on the cost of the KYB's & where to get them??
      Any other experiences out there on replacement struts??
    You can get struts at most any auto parts store...and Tirerack.com has them for $80.00/pair for the rears and $96.00/pair for the fronts...
  • mobuickguymobuickguy Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on when it's best to consider changing struts on A Regal GS? Mine is approaching 90,000 miles and is a 1998 model. I'm not having any abnormal tire wear but do have a problem with what the tech guys call "radial force variation". Finding tires to work on it is about like my girlfriend finding shoes to work with her outfits :-)

Like one post said, you can't really tell when the ride degrades and owning a Regal is my first FWD car and first go-round with struts. I got mine as a used car and didn't get an owner's manual with it. I've asked a few friends, and get answers ranging from "You should have changed them 25,000 miles ago" to "They should be good for another 50,000 miles".
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I replaced my front struts on my 99 GSE, because at higher speeds I was getting a constant tire thumping noise. I took it to a local shop and they said that both strut mounts were worn out. My car now has 86K on it. I replaced them last summer.
  • bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    At 90,000mi I'd say change them. If you push down on the front end does it bounce at all when you let go? Does it feel like it floats if you go over a good size bump or dip? Does the front end dip alot if you break real hard? If you answer yes to any of these, I'd change them.
         Question to any one who has a Monsoon stereo. I've had my '01 regal LS for 2 weeks now and after reading the owners manual it says that this system has 200 watts with 8 speakers. Sounds great and works great. I just can't find more than 6 speakers in the car. I've looked everywhere and can only find 6. Small thing to be sure, but it's driving me nuts. Are they under the seats?
         Speakers aside, what great car. Very smooth and quiet. The tires (Goodyear LS) are a little noisy (they were on my Intrigue also) but I'll change them when the time comes. Still trying to pull the trigger on an extended warranty. Probably get it soon.
         Time to go back out in the snow. Yuck.

Later
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    I asked the same question to GM when we took delivery of our '99 Regal. Answer: the speaker covers on the rear deck lid cover 2 speakers each, so there are actually 4 back there.
    From Buick site.....

Eight premium speakers are optimally positioned to customize sound specifically to Regal's interior: Two 0.6" dome tweeters mounted high in the door, two door-mounted 5.25" wide-range speakers, and two 6"x 9" subwoofers in the rear deck next to two 4" midrange speakers. A 220-watt, 8-channel amp with active crossovers powers the AM/FM/CD signal to impressive levels.

A note also...The 6x9's are 2 ohm speakers...So for anyone trying to do upgrade with new 6x9's...Won't work...
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Does the supercharger Regal GS require prem. gas?
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Sure does, but trust me it's worth it!
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    jackjt,

Thank you for the response. I thought it did but wasn't sure. Can you get away with mid-grade gas?

The supercharger in the GS sure does have its appeal. How do you like yours?

Regards,

Leo
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I think the SC engine is really great. Yeah it does require premium fuel, but it is fun. Mine is a 99, and I have not tried anything lower than 93 octane. GM says you can use a lower octane gas in a pinch but does not recommend it for everyday use. Plus you payed for the power, don't you want to use it all?
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Wouldn't have anything but a Supercharged Regal!~ Have had no problems---but stick to at least 91 octane at the least.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I just purchased a 1999 Buick Regal LS with 56,000. I really like the car...though the handling/steering seems really sensitive at highway speed. The owners manual states that the vehicle is equipped with "magnetic variable effort steering"(4-12) "Steering effort will increase at higher speeds for improved road feel"
    I really can't tell much of a difference. Is this normal? How does your Buick handle/steer in relation to speed?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    I've had my '00 GSE for about 6 weeks now and I still love it! (see post #'s 2481 & 2559 )I have put on about 1,000 miles with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Everything works fine; no dash rattle, fluid leaks, electrical problems, or any of the other "common" problems. I know some will disagree, but I'm running on regular 87 octane gas. No pings or knocks, yet great performance! If a regular 3800 engine can run on regular then why can't the Supercharged? Anyway, I love the car and feel that I made a great choice...
    You can run on 87 Regular...The PCM senses this and will 'Detune' the engine...Your performance will drop...Save 10% on gas...Loose 10% on performance and enjoyment...
  • steprovsteprov Member Posts: 9
    I'd like to pass along a few tips on changing the supercharger oil. Read post #'s 183 & 202; they were very helpfull. Place a rag under the drain plug before removing to catch any drips & the plug itself in case it drops. Use a drinking straw to carefully suck out the old oil. Blow the old oil into a small container. I removed 5 ozs. It was a dark amber color. The fresh oil was clear - a good indication that a change was necessary by 47,500 miles. I used a clean straw & a small funnel to add the new oil. It held both of the 4 oz. bottles I had purchased at the local Chevy dealers for $7.50 apiece. I did the job in about an hour, and I'm no mechanic...Hope you find this helpfull... Maybe I'll try a tank of premium & see if I feel a difference...
    Here's a much easier way of doing the oil change...

How its done:

Parts:

You will need two bottles of GM supercharger oil, GM p/n: 12345982

Tools:

Turkey baster

Short hose- needs to fit over end of turkey baster, and in s/c plug, about
    6" long.

3/16 Allen wrench or hex bit

NOTE: Make sure that your engine is cool before starting this!

1-Unscrew the super charger oil inspection plug (a black plug at the front of the
    super charger snout using a 3/16 hex head).

2-Insert the tube (that's attached to the turkey baster in to the hole and suck out as much oil as you can. This may have to be done many times to remove as much of the oil that you can. Dispose
    of your old/used oil with your old motor oil in an environmentally SAFE manner.

3- Add the oil until it fills the snout to the bottom of the threads. It will take almost two bottles. Be careful to NOT overfill!

4- Screw the plug back in and do not over torque. 8-12 ft/lbs is more than enough!

5- After driving around for a day or so, check the oil level while the car is on a level surface. It's also a good idea to check the level of your supercharger snout at every oil change.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I was told a few years ago that he SC oil is nothing more the a 5W30 synthetic motor oil. As such about 30,000 miles ago I changed mine and used synthetic 0W30 and it has been functioning fine, it was clear when I changed it at about 20,000 miles and still clear at over 50,000 miles.

Yes, it does recommned premioum gas for the SC however, it does run on 89 octane. However, I consistently get over 30mpg on the highway with this engine due to the great overdrive. Not many cars like this will even get over 25 mpg.
    I just purchased a 1999 Buick LS with 55,000 miles. While reading through the owners manual I was surprized to see that the air conditioning compressor comes on when the outside temp is over 40 degrees F. This seems unusual as I don't know to many people who would want the air conditioning on in this temp. Maybe, 60 degrees F on a sunny day. Any thoughts on this matter? Wouldn't this have a tendency to cut down on the life of the compressor? Anyone have any problems with their compressor? Thanks.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Do the controls have a button for vent that turns off the compressor?

Actually it's better for the compressor to run in cold climates whenever the ambient does get above 40 degrees to keep the seals and oil in shape. Of course you can turn it off with the vent button after a few minutes, if you have a vent button other choice the stop sthe compressor.

Thanks Imidazol, I guess it's going to take a little while getting use to the buttons with the auto. climate control. The vent button does turn the compressor on and off. The vent indicator is lit when the compressor is OFF...which is stupid because it should be lit when the compressor is on. The owners manual doesn't address getting heat.
    But, my main concern is not running the compressor unless I need to.
    I had the air conditioning on yesterday and it was putting out ice cold air. So, I'm not gonna complain to much.
    From the design standpoint of set it and forget it having the light off for normal operation where the system decided when to have the compressor or does make sense to me. Having the compressor running does help clean and dry the air at some temperatures where you wouldn't think it would make things feel more comfortable. Having it run probably takes less gas than having the windows open at higher speeds.

My only complaint about my related (LeSabre) system is that the vent can stay on when key is turned off and will be vent when I restart rather than compressor running. But the recirculate choice always turns off when the key goes off and I have to reset it to recirculate. In some seasons I'd just like for it to stay on.

• verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Unless it's a day when you want to turn the system off, open the window, and enjoy the fresh air. I like to be easy on the machinery, too, but I notice no difference in performance or gas mileage with the system on [compressor running] or off. My only complaint is that the fan's a little noisy. Actually, it's not the fan but the sound of air leaving the vents that should be quieter. Maybe they'll do it better in the new LaCrosse...Overall, love the Regal, though...
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    I just recently bought a 94 regal coupe, 1 owner from CA, only 71K, great shape, 3.8, for $2700. I drove it home about 250 miles and it ran great. This past weekend tho, I took it on a 200 mile trip and the service engine soon lite (SES) came on. Autozone was no help-they say that they can't scan a 94 GM W-body because it's "the year between OBD I and OBD II". I changed the pcv valve, fuel fiter, air filter, plugs, and plug wires, wanting everything fresh. There's a slight miss when the transmission shifts into overdrive at about 60 mph that I'm thinking may have something to do with the SES lite since it only comes on when driving at higher speeds. can anyone help? thanks.
    Someone out there with a lot more experience than I have can probably point you right to it, but have you considered changing out the coolant and tranny fluid? Are they currently at the right levels? Condition?
    Is this one of the cars where the A and B terminals can be jumped with a paper clip and a code read from the check engine light?
    I know the newer cars can't be read out that way but my 93 LeSabre could.

My guess on the 'miss' is that it's the trans locking up after the shift from 3rd to 4th and the TCC locks up. I don't know when the transmissions got the slip modulated TCC that my 98 has a minor problem with.

Try keeping the left foot slightly on the brake pedal to turn the brake lights on. That will keep the TCC from engaging and see if the 'miss' still feels like it's there.

My 93 had a fluttering under light acceleration at 55 or so and that was just the uneveness of the engine being transmitted by the solid lockup of the TCC. A prom replacement fixed it at lower speeds by keeping the trans from locking up as soon. The 98 has a slip built in to the TCC that keeps the uneveness of the engine from being transmitted.

• mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Drive them both and then decide if the power of the GS is something you can live without. I first drove a supercharged Riviera and I knew I needed the power. Well, I didn't need it, but I sure enjoyed stomping the pedal down.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    Resolved! well-halfway at least. I did have to pay to have my Regal scanned. Other auto stores i tried were willing to help...until i told them the year-94. All of them could only help with 96 or newer. anyways...the scan showed a bad egr valve. i paid for the scan and said i would see about the repair, wanting to see if i could do it myself. i did locate it easily and it seems very accessible...but is there anything i should know before i attempt this? the price is about $150 for the part new. is this an item i should not buy from the junkyard? thanks again.
    Glad you have a resolution. If you want to do it twice, get a junkyard part. Odds are you'll be replacing it with a new one soon enough.

I'd split for the new one and fix it once.

O.K, I've decided to set the auto. climate control and forget about adjusting it manually on the LS model I purchased in April.What temp. setting do you guys/ladies set yours at? How often do you need to adjust for the seasons. Also, there is a short in my climate control display which shows the temp, fan setting, etc. One day it lights up..the next it does not. It doesn't bother me a lot. But, are there any wires under the dash that I could check? Would it be worth having a mechanic check it out? Does anyone know how big a job it would be tracking down the loose connection? I don't want to spend a lot of money to have this fixed...or have an incompetent mechanic make things worse. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    Not sure what you mean by the fan lights not working all the time. Is the fan running and are the lights out at the same time? If you're setting the climate control on auto, the fan will only come on as its needed. It also won't come on for heat until the engine temp is warm enough to throw heat.
         If it is running and the indicator lights aren't on, then you may indeed have a short in the control unit which is very expensive. Not sure if you can change the LEDs in the unit.
    Maybe I can take a shot at this one. As many of us on this forum know firsthand, the display on the automatic climate control in Regals is a known problem. Ours worked fine when it was new, then started dimming on and off until finally the display quit altogether. Dealer replaced under warranty, but it is one of the reasons we purchased an extended warranty ($600+ parts and labor for this part). Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas, but here are a couple to start things off: You can try visiting http://www.regalgs.org/howto.shtml to repair the one you have, or you can buy one on eBay for substantially less and install it yourself using the helpful tips gained from regalgs.org. As far as what temp setting to use, that's just a matter of trial and error until you find the one that works for your comfort level.
    Thanks Bennychecks and tsu670. The link was a real help in understanding the problem. I don't want to spend any significant amount of money on new or used parts & don't know if a dealer would agree to the method described in the link(soldering loose resistors)...they would probably insist on installing a new one. Or, maybe an automotive electric shop would. It really didn't look that complicated...so maybe I'll have a go at it. Take care.
  • hrguyhrguy Member Posts: 5
    I understand there is a GM service bulletin dealing with the false reading on the low tire warning light. I asked the dealer and they said there may be but it would cost me $50 for them to just look and see if there is a problem. Like several others have stated, the light on my 99 GSE comes on occasionally for no apparent reason. I check the pressure, it is OK in all 4 tires, and I reset the system. A couple weeks later, I do it all over again. My concern is that I may someday ignore it when it is "for real".
    Does anyone know what is in the "service bulletin"?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FWIW, last week I drove round trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in my '00 Regal GS w/ 37,000 miles. Driving between 70 - 80 MPH with the a/c on and about 40 lbs in the trunk, I got a very respectable 29.2 mpg.

On the flip side, if I was driving in stop and go slow traffic in L.A., I'm lucky to get 15 mpg.

...just thought I'd share.
  • dano42dano42 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1995 Regal 3.8 with 100K miles. Overall it has been a great car but i just started to experience problems when starting. Sometimes it does not start, sometimes tt starts rough,and the lights sometimes flicker erratically.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how was it fixed?

Thank you very much for your help!
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Hi gang, I'm an infrequent contributer to this board and I wanted to advise you on some repairs i just had done on my 2002 Buick Regal GS with 30,000 mi. This is just an FYI if you experience similar problems.

1.) I was noticing a vibration when braking, not a warped rotor vibration but an uneven, subtle one. I thought my brake pads were going, too (due to long travel on the brake pedal). Brought it in to Buick mechanic and my rear rotors had surface rust (hence the vibration), they were resurfaced for free under factory warranty. The brakes were adjusted and they said I have 70% of my pads left, they feel brand new. They adjusted my parking brake too, for whatever reason.

2.)My driver's side fog lamp was collecting moisture. Seems there was a service bulletin about this and both fog lamps were replaced for free.

That's all, hope this helps some of you who own similar cars.

-jbmalik
    Just a follow up to your fog light info...Thanks...

...and a nice upgrade to fogs is replacing the stock ones with Sylvania Silverstars, 893ST's...This along with Headlight bulb replacements with Silverstars gives much improved lighting...
  • gary2gary2 Member Posts: 4
    Dear Jack44
    In regards to your comments about changing fog lights...Do you mean just upgrade the bulbs? How much difference does it make?
    I have always thought the fogs did little more than look good and the regular headlights were weak and shadowy. I will look into your ideas. Thanks! Any ideas on how to clean the inside of headlight lenses? Mine are getting a film on the inside. I tried to get GM to replace under my extended warranty, but they wouldn't do it.
    Hi Gary2. If you mean the inside of the lens has condensation, this is a fairly common problem. Often happens due to high pressure wands at do-it-yourself car washes. The entire headlamp assembly can be easily removed without any tools. Just slide out a couple of black plastic clips from the back. On the back of the assembly are 3 or 4 round rubber covers. You can remove them and direct warm air from a hair dryer inside the lens to remove the condensation. If the film is something else, you can buy a new assembly, but the dealer wants over $200 for it, then probably another $75 to install and aim it. An alternative is eBay. Search on 'Buick headlight'. The same unit fits 1997 - 2004 Buick Regal and Century models. You can generally pick one up for under $50 plus another $10 or so for S&H. For that price you should get the assembly and all bulbs. Don't pay more. If all that is available are over $50, check back in a day or two. Of course, you will need to adjust the new headlight for proper aim after installation.
    Re: Fog Light Upgrade......

1. They do look better...
    2. They are far brighter than the "So Called Stock Fog Lights"...I live in a hilly forrested area with no light and I can turn off headlights and run just Fog Lights...Not that I do, but the illumination is really something...
  • gary2gary2 Member Posts: 4
    Jack44,
    Thanks again, Wished I had known about the Silverstars the first time I replaced the fog bulbs. I will look into getting a set now or the next time they burn out. Can you buy them at any auto parts store? I expect they are pricey.

As far as the film on my headlight lenses... it is not condensation, just a film that would wipe off nicely if you could get at it. It is not bad enough to want to go through the trouble to replace the entire assembly...yet. My dealer wanted $350 ea to do the entire job.

Let me comment on something you said in your previous post....Normally you can't turn on the fogs without the headlights being on. And, if it is dark enough for the headlights to come on automatically, you can't turn them off....Unless you disable the auto system with a series of goofy steps I think is addressed in the owners manual.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I think...if you turn on only your parking lamps (in other words, pull open the headlamp knob only to the first step), the fogs can stay on. This can be done with or without your headlights set to come on automatically as it gets dark.
  • jjb1jjb1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the significance, if any, of the "Joseph Abboud" nameplate on Buick Regals? Relative just bought a 2001 used - has this tag on drivers door lower front (outside). Have noticed it on a couple other Regals in parking lots
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    I drive an '02 LS Abboud. Besides the little badges, the package included the GT suspension, 16" wheels, sunroof, leather, Monsoon radio and a few other options. Same car, LS or GS, otherwise. I got it because it had what I wanted for less than the options ordered separately.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I started to think about installing transmission radiator in my 2000 Regal GS - if my wife let me. And/or installing bigger brakes, probably Impala ones (11.9").

Does anybody have experience with the mods? If yes, how much it costs? How long it takes? Where to do it: at dealer, performance shop, etc.?
    There is a lot of information available on mods...You can check the vendors sites like intense-racing.com or zzperformance.com and for the best info regalgs.org where you can find out from people who have actually done what you are contemplating...Hope this helps...