Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone for your help.

I would like to maintain 100% compatibility with my existing unit (i.r., I would like to use the "cd changer" light). Do I have to buy the changer thru GM, or is there an OEM source that anyone knows about? Does anyone have any pricing?
  • woodybuickwoodybuick Member Posts: 33
    The UL0 radio indeed cannot be hooked up to the changer without the RF modulator. My bad.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    If you have the UPO radio (came with the Monsoon set-up), a GM 12 disc CD changer is the only one that is 100% compatible with the radio unit. AER Technologies in Orange County, CA make the units for GM (AC Delco).

Cost??? I've been quoted anywhere from $600 - $700 at various Buick dealerships. The CD changer has been quoted at $500 - $600. If you're adventurous, you might be able to buy the changer from AER Technologies in Orange County, CA for a few dollars less and perform the install yourself; eliminating the middle-man (aka the dealership).
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Well, I remember the study.

Something like 150-155 initial defects were found, in average, per 100 cars. I.e. when buying a new car, it is reasonable to expect it will have one-two defects, to be fixed under warranty.

Buick, with something like 120-130 defects per 100 cars, was much better than average. One of the top 10 makes. Still, you have to expect the very same 1-2 defects.

My Regal had two defects:

1. defective switch in the steering wheel (the stalk is connected to the switch). It was fixed under warranty,

2. The left cover of the dash is somewhat loose, probably the plastic clips are not tight.

This was not fixed, at least not yet. But I consider this to be not so much a factory quality problem, as a service quality problem. The specific dealer is very bad - he is astonishing even with my background of the 45-year Soviet experience.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    If I remember correctly, you had a 'Lemon' '98 Intrigue...could you tell me more details about how you got to get rid of your car???

(I am having problems with my Impala, I need some advise from somenone that has been there, done that.....thanks!)
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    Yikes...

After reading your post in here, I went to the Impala forum and read (todays) posts describing some of your problems.

:-( to hear about the problems you are experiencing.

In reading your posts, it appears you are already doing all the things I did to get rid of
    my Intrigue:

* Paper trail:

Document all your conversations and be sure
    that your exact complaint is correctly shown on any work orders the dealer writes up.

Be sure they document the specific fix attempts and the specific parts replaced.

* Become intimate with your states Lemon Laws

I know from reading your post that you brought
    in some Intriguers posts re the intermediate
    steering shaft. I would have done the same thing as the symptom sounds the same.

Lets use the Intermediate steering shaft as
    an example.

Let's say the dealer decides to change it out.
    All of the thump sound and feeling goes away
    and then is back in 3 months.

At this point the dealer wants to replace it again.

The dealers swore the steering shaft was not
    a safety issue with the intrigue, so one repair
    wasn't enough. Again, Florida law may be different than CA law.

In my case it was a repeated replacement of the same part (plus a bunch of other non related quality issues).

If the dealer gets to a point where they are doing the same repair/replacing the same parts, then you may have a case.

Of course, there is also (in California) the
    cumulative total # of days the car is out of
    service; Florida may also have something like
    that. Like I said, get very intimate with your Lemon Laws.

Once the car has reached "Lemonhood" according to your states laws, you can:

-get an attorney

-deal with it yourself

Some attorneys will do a lemon law case
    where they get you everything back (minus usage of the car to the first time the problem
    was reported) plus their attorney fees.
    You would want one that specializes in Lemon Law.

I did not use an attorney.
    Remember "complaining boy" from one of the
    far past Impala forums?

Remember how I empathsized with him?

Handling the "repurchase" as GM called it, was an all consuming, stressful, hellacious experience for me.

And I was dealing with a supposedly good dealer. Between the dealer and Olds customer service, it was crazy.

They both kept refusing to have a zone manager (or whatever they call them now)
    review my case.

This person is who you want to deal with your
    case as they can make a buy back decision.

The dealer and Olds customer service kept
    wanting to fix the car. Then after they thought
    they had fixed it, stated they didn't have to
    buy the car back, as it was now repaired under
    warranty. Be very careful about how many
    times you let them fix your car.

This is why an attorney could be a best bet
    if your case gets that far.

Fortunately for me, after "fixing" my car under
    warranty, the dealer called back and stated
    they had installed the wrong revision of the
    part number.

It was at that point I had them.

Keep me posted.
    If you have any specific questions, feel
    free to e-mail me directly (see my profile).
    Thanks for your help!

Go to the the Impala forum to see further developments on my case. The Service Manager fully acknowledged my steering clunking problem as unacceptable...GM has no TSB or fix in the horizon...if I should have any further questions, I'll E-mail you.

Thanks again!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I wonder if the Silverado shaft will fit into the regal? Nah...don't think so. Funny that it's happening here as well as with the Yukons, Tahoes, Silverados, and Sierras. Fortunate for me, GM has an updated shaft. It seems that a good percentage of the 99-00 trucks have the problem after 9K miles.

Good luck.

BTW, if you'd like to check out this website, the owner had gone through BBB and buyback for his truck. Not sure if the specifics would help, but he shows all the forms and takes you step by step through the process.

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/
    Teo have an Impala LS. His problems are with Impala steering, not Regal. Though, I doubt if the Silverado truck shaft is used in any car, be it Regal or Impala.

Regal, Impala, and several other GM cars are build on the same platform (W-body) and share a lot of common parts. This is why it makes sense to discuss the problems together, on all W-body boards (Monte-Carlo, Grand Prix, etc.)

Though, I have doubt concerning the steering parts are the same. At least, Impala and MC have different engine cradle, a new aluminum design. And the W-body steering is attached to the cradle.

More important, I did not see any reference on the same trouble with steering as Teo described either on the Regal board, nor the other W-body ones.

Regal, Century, and Grand Prix are produced for almost 4 years. Hundreds of thousands owners already have 50-100k miles on odometers. Would the cars have a steering design defect, everybody would be very aware.

At most this is a Impala / MC defect; the two cars being manufactured only for one year. Though, given you can find at most two complaints of this kind on the Impala and MC boards (including the Teo's one), and many of the cars had more than 13k miles, even this would be unusual for design defect. Looks more as a production defect, a bad copy: bad part, or bad assembly, or something in this kind.
    What I don't understand is why doesn't the dealer change out the part? If for no other reason being that the part may be defective. As everyday passes, I'm impressed with the lack of intelligence in these dealers....

I realized I was in error on the model as soon as I started to read your post as the Impala LS is referred to many times in his posts. What was I thinking?
  • jdinstljdinstl Member Posts: 10
    Hi folks,

I have some questions for you about traction control on the Regals. Remember, mine is the plane-jane 3800, not the blown version.

The question is, what happens when the Traction Control kicks in? I instinctively let off the gas when that light comes on, but I was wondering what happens "behind the scenes?"

I understand the blown 3800 Regal's have "full-range" Traction control...what are the differences?

Everytime I get in this Regal I find something else to like about it!

Thanks,

John aka jdinstl
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    When the traction control kicks in, you'll get a "low traction" light and the system will cut engine power. I believe both the LS and GS use the same traction control system.
    Regal GS includes standard full-range traction control. It ingeniously detects drive-wheel slippage at any speed and automatically reduces engine torque and modulates the front brakes until you regain a better grip on the road

The standard traction control system on LS works with ABS to enhance your sense of security. When the front drive wheels begin to slip, it automatically reduces engine torque until you regain a better grip on the road

The both quotes are from 2000 Buick Regal brochure.

To the best of my understanding and remembrance, the LS traction control does not apply brakes, and works at lower speed only, up to 40 mph or so.

I had spin the wheels of my GS couple of time, on wet pavement, from traffic lights. Both time the "low traction" indicator light appeared, and I reduced gas manually. Did not feel the automatic to do anything.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    My 1999 Regal LS (23,000 miles) has an intermittent oil leak. Only does it on occassion and the dealer has been unable to identfy the location. The puddles are getting bigger, now about 6" dia., when it happens but the fluids (engine oil, pwr strg fluid) aren't going down. It seems to be in an area near the front passenger side of the car. Any ideas or similar experiences?
    What about the other liquids? I would check the coolant first, than the transmission liquid.

The coolant tank is at passenger side of Regal. And, if I remember right, the coolant system works under pressure, needs tight tank cup etc. This is definitely so with other GM cars.

The modern coolant for Regal and other current GM cars is orange or pink, not green. Less easy to recognize the color in puddle.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Definately not coolant, it is an oil. The fluid leaked did not evaporate at all. Seemed to be a clear or slightly green color. Very clean, not dirty as would expect from engine oil. The last time it leaked, the vehicle was absolutely cold. Moved the car from one side of the garage to the other and then the leak. Ambient temp. mayble 10-20 F. No time for the car to warm up.
    Thanks!
    For those curious about putting a DC changer in the 1998-2000 Regal I/ Monsoon system, here is my final update.

After some delay, I finally had installed a AC Delco 12 disc DC changer in the trunk to compliment the Monsoon system. For those wondering, the key to 100% compatibility with the radio is in the harness (and not so much the DC changer; although that is an integral part towards compatibility). A special DC harness must be used along with an AC Delco DC changer (that is made by Pioneer) for pure radio/ad changer 'harmony (pardon the pun). A 6 disc AC Delco changer will only work with 1998 Regals.

Again, this set-up only applies to 1998 thru 2000 Regals w/ the Monsoon system. 2001 Regals have a "dock and lock" that does not allow an additional harness to be connected to the back of the radio. The reason for that has to do with the way OnStar is installed at the factory (having to do with radio reception).

As for cars w/o the Monsoon system, I was told (but can not confirm) that only a GM 6 disc CD changer will work. The GM 12 disc changer is not yet compatible with the standard radio unit but should be in April, 2001. From what I gathered, compatability is more of a software issue then hardware - all that is required is updating ROM in the radio unit via a software upgrade. As the installer told me, you have 99% assurance of your radio being able to control a CD changer *if* you can see the word 'changer' dimmed on your radio face plate. Some radios (even some that are of Code UPO) have 'changer' on the face plate, some do not. WIth 1998-2000 models, there are no issues. But if you have a 2001 with 'changer' on the radio face plate BUT also have OnStar installed, you're S.O.L....both from having OnStar installed AND becuase the radio is a 'dock and lock' and not the typical 'four screws and a couple brackets' keep it in place.

As for cars designated as 1997.5 models, only a cd changer with an FM modulator will work (as I have been told).

I hope I was clear, not to redundant and I'm too darn lazy to spell check. Live with it! :).

Enjoy.
    I won't argue, but I don't see how having the Monsoon sound system affects whether or not you can add a 6 or 12 disc changer. The Monsoon sound system is basically a separate amplifier and upgraded speakers connected to the regular Buick(Delco) radio head unit. So I would imagine that whatever cd changers can work with that radio will work, regardless of Monsoon or not.
    The issues with what is/is not compatible deal mostly with the harness used to connect the radio w/ the amplifier, speakers and CD changer (and throw in OnStar for 2001 models). Aldo, the radio unit included with the Monsoon system is NOT the same as the standard Buick radio head unit. Aesthetically they may look alike (do they look alike?), but how they are configured and harnessed (one connection in the back for radios with Code UPO, two connections for all others) from the assembly line makes the difference.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    I've noticed a couple of things about the wife's GS.

Last night while driving home from dinner at a friend's (during which we recieved 5" of snow) I noticed that the lighting would flicker/dim when the anti-locks engaged. Have any of you seen this?

I made the change to Mobil1 this evening. Many people complain about the location of filters on Japanese vehicles and I have to say that you needed to be Stretch Armstrong to change the filter on my old Integra GS-R. That being said, the location on this car isn't much more convenient. Thankfully, the filter is inverted so spillage on my clean garage floor is minimal.

Accolades? I let a friend who owns an SHO 5-speed drive the car. I subtly reached down and disabled the traction control. He nailed it out of the light and the car just burned 'em off the whole way through first. (The dealer schlepped some crappy General Ameritouring GT's to pass inspection. I'm eager to get real rubber.) The torque is beastly but unless the tranny is in performance mode, it's way too hesitant to downshift. Coming from a stick, the car has been in performance mode almost the whole time since purchase; I'm not too pleased with "regular" mode.

More later,

L8_Apex
  • khobergkhoberg Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading your posts about your Disc Changer adventures with great interest! I am considering adding a changer to my 1999 GS, but only with full function with my head unit and steering wheel controls. Since you have done just that to your ride, I have some questions for you...

What part number(s) are necessary for this installation? I am looking for the part number of the AC Delco CD Changer, and the specialized harness, since that seems to be the key to the system. Where did you purchase them? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance!
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    I have had the traction control kick in on snow packed roads. It helps but its no panacea. The there is still some slippage, just not as much. It might be of help to someone who is clueless when driving in the snow or ice.

FWIW with my GS I have been able to get the traction control light to light up on dry roads (those Goodyear LS tires are such a piece of junk).
    On my 98 Intrigue, the headlights will dim sligtly for a moment when the ABS or traction control engages. My guess is these units draw alot of current. They engage so quickly and unexpectedly that the PCM probably doesn't have time to compensate by increasing engine speed at the very moment they kick in as it does when you switch something on like the A/C or rear defogger.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    Well, I traded in my '96 GS for a '98 black Mustang GT with the five speed, 38K miles, Mach 460 sound, 17" wheels, power everything. I really loved my GS and hated to see it go, but it was time to trade in for something a little newer. I really wanted something different, and maybe a little more "fun." The GS was a really great car and I won't forget it...
    I'll get you the part number tomorrow. The info is in my Palm Pilot...which is buried somewhere under paperwork on my desk in my office. The part number for the unit includes the harness; which is basically an adapter that splits off from the existing harness that leads to the changer. Just make sure your radio is designated as having CODE UPO (if it's a Monsoon system, it is CODE UPO).

My cost was $400 which included the changer and installation. I had a certified AC Delco technician (who came highly recommended by the service manager at a nearby Buick dealership) do the install after hours; thus avoiding the dealer mark-up that would have added an additional $300 - 400. The guy was great, knew his stuff and removed and re-assembled the radio and instrument panels with ease (and with caution) in 2 hrs. If you're in L.A., I'll be happy to forward his name and telephone number to you. E-mail me at tull1@mac.com.

BTW, the changer, being from GM, is warranted for as long as your warranty (3 yrs/36M miles or longer with extended). ALso, the unit orks grrrrrreat with 100% compatability with the head unit AND steering wheel controls. What a luxury - especially on long drives!

I'll have the part number for you tomorrow.
    Did me selling the GS scare everyone off or something? This used to be a very active topic..
    The Buick Regal Man has turned its back to get a Ford Mustang?????

I hope I am reading this right.
  • jdinstljdinstl Member Posts: 10
    Howdy folks!

In about 1K miles, the Regal will go in for its first oil change. I got to thinking, does anyone know of any recalls or the like on the 2000 Regal LSE that I should know about and ensure were completed when I go in for this service visit?

Thanks for the info...

And 96gs...we are hurt, and not speaking to you for defecting from Buick to a f..ff..fff...FORD! Seriously, congrat's on your purchase and happy motoring to you!

JD
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    So are you now going to be '98GT'?

I, too, defected. I traded in my 99 GS for a 2001 Chrysler Sebring sedan with the 2.7 V6. Nice car, obviously less power than the GS. When it came down to it I just couldn't stand the dash rattles and other rattles the GS had. I do miss it when some punk pulls up beside me a a stoplight!
    I truly wish you the best of luck with your new Sebring and drive it in good health. I think the new sedan looks much better then the coupe. In fact, the vast majority of Chrysler products are aesthetically striking! But as it has been said, looks can kill.

3 of the four people I know who own Chrysler's (99 LHS, 2000 300M and a late 90s Concorde) are having terrible mechanical problems. But..the one person I know who has a 99 300M is a happy, happy camper going on 55,000 hwy miles. The biggest gripe isn't so much that the car needs the repair (covered under warranty) but the INCONVENIENCE of taking the car in, getting a rent-a-car, returning the rent-a-car...and so on. No one complains about the warranty work being done, just the pain that is caused by having to take the car in for repairs. What the Sebring has going for it is a proven 2.7L V6. That engine has been around long enough for Chrsyler to get the kinks out of it (just as GM has done for the past 30+ years with the 3.8L).
  • crew6crew6 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I defected to Buick from Ford. The Ranger was a great truck, but I was ready for something a little more "fun" to drive, so I bought a 99 GS. It's a great car with power that can give one whiplash, but I do agree with drwilsc. My dashboard is driving me NUTS with rattles. The car goes in next week to have the temperature controls and/or the sound system examined to see what has come loose behind the controls. Anyone else with the same problem?
  • barneyeabarneyea Member Posts: 20
    The January 29 issue of Autoweek has a very small item in the "NEWS" section that reads
    "sources say Buick also is considering building a 275-hp GNX to commemorate its 100thanniversary in 2003. The car's supercharged V6 will meet or beat the horsepower of the last production GNX built in 1987".

With the vehicles available to Buick today, this could only be a Regal body, probably similar to the show car show at the SEMA show.
  • rsurwilorsurwilo Member Posts: 10
    Dashboard rattles seem to be a very common complaint with Regal owners. My 2000 GS has had one that seems to come from the area of the speedo since the day I got the car, 19,000 miles ago. It is loudest at 30-40 mph. I had it into the dealer once. He thought he had fixed it but he didn't. Bringing the car in is a hassle but I think I'll give it another shot soon since the noise can be really annoying. Sometimes the noise is a buzz and sometimes it sounds like a tiny screw rattling around. The irritating part is that these complaints seem to cover every model year since the 1996.5. You would think that Buick would have tightened up their quality control or redesigned the dashboard hardware in the interim.

I got very familiar with the Regal's Traction Control during a recent spate of wintry weather where the roads were snow-covered for days. I lived in the northeast for many years so I've done my share of winter driving. But the Regal is the first car I ever owned with this feature. I had thought traction control was more a marketing gimmick than anything else. But I was quickly impressed. It always seemed to kick in when required and really helped the car track straight and true, decreased wheel slippage, and certainly inspired my confidence. Now I think I'll want this feature on any new car I buy.
  • bralleybralley Member Posts: 20
    We just purchased a 2000 LS with 15K (former program car). It was a tough decision deciding between the Regal, an Accord, and a Camry. We traded in a '96 Olds Ciera that was falling apart at 75K and had decided that we had had it with American cars and were only going to look at Hondas,Toyota, and Nissans. Then we stopped by the local Buick dealership, which gave us the LS to drive for the weekend. Of course, we fell in love with it - even though the Accord and Camry have the edge in resale value and reliability, they can't come close to the comfort and luxury of the Regal. I haven't driven a car with this much power since I was a teenager and owned a car with a big 8. I can only imagine the power the GS has, but am completely satisfied with the LS (it's got all the power that I'll ever need). The REAL deciding factor was comfort, though - my husband is 6'2" and he was ALOT more comfortable in the Regal. (We will be purchasing an extended warranty, just for the peace of mind)

This car does not have a dash rattle yet, but we're keeping our ears tuned in. We love the sound system and are considering adding a CD changer. This may sound crazy, but this is our first car with leather interior, and we are wondering about caring for the leather and would appreciate any suggestions this group may have. Also, what are the pros/cons of the GM extended warranty as opposed to a third party extended warranty (other than the price)?
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    on the purchase of your 2000 Regal LS program car.We too got a 2000 Regal LS program car in Dec with leather and 18,000 miles on it.We have already put 3,000 miles on it and like it just fine.That 3800 puts out plenty of power.We have the best of both worlds as we also have a 98 GS with the SC3800.

Now,our 98 Regal GS just sits there and doesnt get driven much but in July it will be going on a 6000 mile trip to the NW part of the country so it will get to feel its oats out in the mountains.

Our 98 GS has 33000 miles and has never had a dash rattle and in the 3000 miles we have driven our 2000 LS it has never had a dash rattle either.Knock on wood.

96gs,hate to see you leave the Regal camp but a 98 GT Mustang is a nice car.At least you didnt go foreign on us.One of these days I want a mid 80's GT or LX with a warm 5.0,a manual tranny,and some flowmasters.
    Eventually I'll post some pics of the new GT on my website, I'll let you know.

I'm not done with Regals yet. That will probably be my next car in 2004 or so. Just thought I'd get a sportscar now while I can (24). I miss the GS a bit, but I am having fun with the GT. If the GNX really makes it to production, however, I may be trading in the GT earlier than anticipated.
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    My 99 GS has 18K so far.
    So why did you dump the regal? other than getting expensive to fix was there any other reason(s)? Any reason you didn't look for a used GNX...would be faster than the GT. Just curious as you selected a Ford.
    Good look with Fix or Repair Daily....err...Ford!. I had very bad experiences with their products some 12 years ago...needless to say, I bowed to never set foot in a Ford showroom ever again!.
    'Good Luck'
    Did the spell checker mess up your post? Just wondering.
    It was just my fingers going ahead of me..
    I have the very loud dash rattle with my 2000 Regal GS from the day one. It comes from the extreme left of the dash, from the side vents on the dash top.

The car is mostly driven by my wife, and she does not pay any attention to the rattle. But it is very annoying for me, even distracts from the road. So this is mostly a problem of perception.

Fortunately, the rattle happens not so often: only on bad "washboard" roads, at about 35-40 mph. Never with high speed, at highways. Nor at city, where the speed is lower (we work at downtown). Only on rural roads, and/or in suburbs.

The probably culprit is the left side cover of the dash. I found that the cover is somewhat loose. It flaps on the dash proper when I "spank" the cover lightly by hand. This is easily with the driver door open, but not when driving.

It looks as at the above speed the cover gets into resonance with the wheels and/or suspension, and starts flapping continuously.

I discussed the problem with the dealer's service adviser. He told me that I have to expect such things with plastic parts. That the cover is attached by clips under the dash and the whole dash must be dismantled to fix it. And that no dealer would do such a major repair for such a small nuisance.

To my recollection, it was reported long ago at this board that one dealer fixed the problem by spraying a foam into the seams between the cover and the dash.

When I mentioned this to my service adviser, he recommend me to do it myself.

I think this is a very good idea. Would save a lot of time comparing with the dealer service. And, at very least, it would let me not to ask them again for help (is "to beg" a better wording than "to ask"?).

Even simpler decision would be to wedge a couple of matches into the seams. Probably will do this it in the future, if cannot tolerate the rattle any more.

What I do not like, though, is the adviser refused to repeat his suggestions in written. As the official recommendation by Buick. I do not know what is behind the cover, and do not want to risk my warranty, e.g. with a wrong kind of a foam spray.
    May I make a suggestion. First, contact the service manager and repeat the story that the service advisor told you and ask him if it is the official position of their dealership. Second, call GM customer assist and briefly repeat the story. They will in all likelyhood do a conference call with the service manager and will document. GM customer assist, if anything, will be your witness to the extremely bad service you are getting. If this doesn't work, you can either find another dealer or file a complaint with the BBB against the dealer. Personally, I don't think it would go this far.

I wouldn't accept the answer that the service advisor gave you. Especially since he wouldn't put it in writing. What I cannot believe is that he told you this to your face that "no dealer would do such a major repair for such a small nuisance". To disassemble the plastic dashboard, you will have to start from the right side of the dash and pull. I won't go into detail but they should be able to pull your dash apart in 15 minutes. It is NOT a major repair.

Good luck on whichever you decide to do. BTW, I had posted the foam solution awhile ago. The first attempt to diagnose my dash rattle was reported by the tech to be the result of my coins in the ashtray. Eventually, with the foam, my problem was solved.
    Thank you for suggestions, and especially for the info concerning foam!

You wrote: I cannot believe is that he told you this to your face that "no dealer would do such a major repair for such a small nuisance".

This was my narrative.

The adviser never said "a small nuisance". It was me who used the wording "nuisance problems" in the conversation, because I really consider it just a small nuisance.

Not sure if he said "no dealer will do this" or "nobody will do this". But he definitely said something in this kind, as well as mentioned the plastic parts, the clips behind the dash, and the need to dismantle it. And he definitely suggested to use the foam myself when I told about reading this on Internet. Not sure, though, was this a recommendation or a sarcasm.

Of course, I do not remember the wording exactly. It hardly would be a good idea to carry a tape recorder to dealership :-)

BTW, I like the the adviser. He was very polite, and friendly, and not-official. He told me what he believe, frankly, and I like it. Besides, he only had to deliver the car, not to diagnose it. It was a pure courtesy from his part.

It was another adviser who took the car in. He diagnosed the problem with cruise control (turned to be a faulty switch in the steering wheel), and fixed it, but forgot to do anything with my other complaints. Even to put them it into computer printout - they exist only in his handwriting notes.

This adviser was in hurry for some reason and treated me really strange. To say "like I was a recruit, and he a boot camp sergeant" would be exaggeration, but not so strong one. I did not find a better comparison.

The dealership is surveying its service by phone. I told the representative who called me, that I am very unhappy with the matters.

The service manager already called me to ask if I really was denied service, and offered to visit him for test drive.

I have no time for this now. Frankly, have no desire either. The rattle is just a small irritation, does not pay to press hard. Even more that the dealership was a major pain to me, better to avoid.

Concerning BBB: I checked with their WWW database. Just did want to know, how many complaints they receive. Turned to be, the dealership is not a member of BB. Hard to believe, though: probably the data or search engine is wrong.

On the other hand, the dealership repair shop is approved by our local AAA, including AAA dispute resolution service.
  • beckblombeckblom Member Posts: 2
    To those complaining of squeaks: I've written this before (many months ago) but my 98 GS had a dash squeak that drove me nuts. My dealer was able to locate (according to them) a sensor (I believe it was temp) that was rubbing against the black part of the dash. They wrapped it with something ( not sure, but I think tape) and it stopped. It had sounded like it was coming above and to the right of the speedo. Hand pressure at the dash cover was stopping it prior to the fix. In the year and a half since its been gone.
    Congratulations on the Regal. The Accord and Camry are good cars, but WAY overrated in my opinion. And to get a V6 in one, your looking at pretty big bucks, particularly with the Camry. I think a loaded Camry XLE V6 will list over $28K and lacks alot of the features the Regal GS(and other cars) have. Most notably, the 240 hp supercharged 3800 V6. Now, Toyota does offer a supercharger for their V6 through their TRD program, but thats ANOTHER $3000 or so!!
    It is fortunate for you that this rattle does not bother your wife. The service advisor would be in real trouble if it did....
  • bralleybralley Member Posts: 20
    Thanks etharmon and regalluvr1! I think that alot of Toyota and Honda dealers think that they don't have to "deal" just because their cars are highly rated. The Honda dealer was ready to deal, but they had a minimal selection of slightly used Accords - and there wasn't that much price difference between used and new. To their credit, they DID offer me $5300 for my '96 Ciera. The Toyota dealer that we visited only started out wanting to give us $3500 and pointed out numerous problems that the car supposedly had , at which point, I picked up my purse and said "Thanks but no thanks - Honda will give me $5300". They wanted us to wait for the service manager (the old delay tactic), so I told them they had 10 minutes - they did bump it up to $4800 once the service manager got involved.The salesman even said that they knew their cars were more expensive, but that they were worth it. Needless to say, they disqualified themselves. If this is the case with other Toyota dealers, Buick should be able to play a little bit of catch-up and convert more owners to the Regal. Our Buick dealer is also on of the most reputable dealers in the state (which DEFINITELY helped) , whereas I got mixed opinions when I started asking around about the Honda and Toyota dealers.