Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• devinrdevinr Member Posts: 3
    Straight scoop on pricing. Just got back from making a deal on a 2000 MPV LX. My MPV has:
    Security Package
    3-1 Combo
    Rear AC
    4 Seasons

Final price including delivery charge after the $1750 rebate was an even $21,000 added document fee of $149 and tax. The invoice was 22,755 so I paid $5 over invoice than minus the rebate. They had originally quoted me a rebate of $2250 two weeks ago but the salesman plead an honest mistake. The $2250 was on the LX(2), not sure what that means. So they are dealing if you live in the right place (in my case KC). Good luck to all and thanks to those who post here, I have been monitoring this board for 6 months debating which van. Price and comfort that this van would work, finally won me over. Special thanks to blacklx, tboner, javadoc, blondemom for all the insightful posts...any thoughts on an extended warranty/service contract. The dealer seemed extremely high, trying to trade off the word service contract with warranty contract. Wanted $1300 just for the 5 years; 75,Miles..no biting on that one...
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    4 season Package
    Roof Rack
    Fog lights
    Touring Package (with 16" wheels, 9speakers and a sub woofers, etc.)
    3-1 Combo
    My wife and I paid $21,300 for our MPV. This was in Minnieapolis/St. Paul area. Thanks to all the people who have written to this message center.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Perhaps you could try Blast Fax Car Buying? And maybe don't limit yourself to dealers just in your area (you can use any Madza dealer for your service and warranty work).

For more insight on why dealers won't accept a TMV number (and to take your mind off the MPV for a few minutes), you may want to scan through the Edmunds vs. Kelly's discussion.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Very odd. My apostrophe's are in my edit window, but don't and won't won't post. Apologies'''''

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • nerbynerby Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, I'm new to this group.

had my first test drive in a MPV LX. I'm looking to buy.

Anyone from Southern Ontario? Looking for a dealer with best price. I don't have much patience for the salesmen who play the good guy-bad guy routine with their managers.

Thx.
  • lfoersterlfoerster Member Posts: 9
    Dear Steve, et al:

Good to hear the deals are out there, and on 2000's, no less. A 2000 would be fine with us, given that Mazda made few, if any, changes. For those of you that just purchased a 2000 MPV, were they on the dealer's lot? How did you find them?

Will submit another query to Priceline for a 2000; will keep you posted!

Thanks.
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    Congratulations to all the new owners. I'm glad if I was able to help at all. I know that everyone helped me when we bought ours. I was able to walk in there and know what a fair price was.

We're still waiting on our 6-changer CD to be replaced. Is it reasonable to expect some "special treatment" since it hasn't worked since the beginning. Like maybe a free oil change or something like that.

We'll be taking it on our first "road trip" this week. It's not a long one, less than 2 hours each way but we'll have it loaded with all the kid stuff. It's going to me much nicer than taking the pickup or trying to cram everything into my Honda Civic. Just wish that the CD player was working so we could amuse the kids with their music.
  • snorris1snorris1 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2000 DX yesterday. Dealer had 3 left. Call around. I've been shopping for about 3 weeks and have found a couple at most dealers. A couple only had AS models and everybody seems to have a red one.
    I wouldn't hesitate, it looks like they're really bargaining to get them off their lots and the rebates end 4/1/01
  • snorris1snorris1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello again, Bought a LX, and it's EX's that the dealers have--stupid spell check!!!
  • toddmodemtoddmodem Member Posts: 19
    Hi nerby,

I'm from Niagara. Whereabouts in Southern Ontario are you?
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    Sounds like the dealers you spoke of are trying to run a game on you. If you are willing to travel to southeastern MI you will definitely get a better deal. I bought my 2000 LX Touring back in August from Metro Mazda in Ferndale, just north of Detroit for $1,000 below invoice and special Mazda financing. At least two other dealers around the Metro Detroit Area were willing to deal. There are owners in the Chicago area also. Hopefully, someone will respond to you with dealer info from that area.

Regards,

JB
  • rman3rman3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for your opinions re: the Ottawa dealers. I too had a good visit with the Bank street dealer...

Mazda Canada says they do not offer RES as an option...so I guess my question is, how are people doing it in Ottawa and other parts of S. Ontario..I assume after market guys are putting it in for dealers...I am checking to see if ROSEN has any distributors/installers in the area...

Rman
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Maybe you misunderstood. The complete Rosen system includes a "junction box" for accessory add-ons/plug-ins like Nintendo game system or a video camera. I'm not sure I'll ever make use of a plug-in as the VCP is plenty to keep my boys occupied during road trips.
  • nerbynerby Member Posts: 2
    Hi there.

I'm from Oakville. I believe you poste earlier and referenced St. Catharines Mazda.

Can you share the deal you made?

I think I'd be happy with the LX as it comes.

Thx.
  • philbeauphilbeau Member Posts: 19
    Just bought 2001 LX w/ Security pkg, 4 seasons, roof rack for $21.9K. don't let the dealers get you down. I found Edmunds Invoice prices to be right on the mark and dealer willing to deal at Invoice less incentive. For me that meant $22.9K less $1K incentive. I ended up going through a wholesale club (BJ's wholesale) to get my deal. Also, I looked into a Credit Union (3% over Invoice-Incentive) for comparison. I will say i'm very pleased with my MPV. Only observation I have is that the "tan" interior seems very light in color and don't think it'll stay looking clean for very long.
    Good luck.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Philbeau,
    When it came time to turn in my 2000 MPV with a tan interior, I was worried about getting some of the kid stains out. However, they all came out without a problem. I used a scrub brush with water and a little laundry soap. It looked brand new after a year with my cracker eating, juice box sucking, dirty shoe wearing kids.

Just scrub it down and use the shop-vac to suck it dry.

I have yet to try the same with our gray interior MPV, but I expect the same good results.

:)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Did you have your seats scotchgarded? My Wife and I will be purchasing a Sand Mica LX MPV shortly and are concerned about the beige interior(2 very dirty boys, 8&4). I have even considered getting an ES for the leather. Also, I'm fairly new to this site, why did you get another MPV?
    Tax.
    Pete
    Nope, no scotch guard, but I wonder if there was some protection on there. The seats were a breeze to clean.

Yes, I have another 2000(silver/gray). The previous one was red/beige but with no rear air :~( After one summer in So Cal I realized why dual air in a mini-van is a good idea.

Glad you like your MPV! I've heard nothing but good things from a company called Warranty Gold.com. We are going to purchase a LX shortly and I checked the price for a 7 year/100,000 mile and the cost was only $730.00. Something you may want to look into. I'm going to purchase this plan when we get our van, since we intend to keep it at least 7 years.
    Pete....Columbus,OH
  • lpatter1lpatter1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 Mazda MPV LX and thanks to edmunds tmv I got it for $22,000 with leather. My wife likes it and that is all that matters. We had looked at Sienna but to much. I am concerned about the Ford motor it has in it, anybody aware of the reliablity of the motor. We traded a Plymouth van for this one and it was a piece of hit!!
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    I've had my '01 Sand Mica LX for about 5 weeks now, and I couldn't be happier with a car than I am with this one.

In 5 weeks, two things seemed to have happened: 1) the engine and transmission have broken in and settled down into a smooth-working team. 2) I've learned how best to drive it. The result is a car with all the power--at stoplights, on on-ramps, cruising in traffic or on the Interstate, with and without passengers--that I could ever want from a car. It's a power that isn't apparent on a test drive--the car is too new, and so is the driver. It seems to me to be as agile and alert as anybody could want. It isn't quite as peppy as my '98 Cherokee, but it isn't burning that power into the 13mpg habit that the Jeep had, either.

And that brings up gas mileage. I've filled the tank five times so far. 15.3, 16.6, 17.1, 17.4, and 17.7 (today) in all suburban driving (22 miles a day). This might not be econobox mileage, but for a van, it's pretty acceptable to me. My last van ('94 Voyager) averaged 16.4 over the same route.

My only problems with the van so far are a slight and intermittent pull/drift to the right, especially on high-crowned roads, and a fairly consistent rotten-egg smell that I'm going to have the dealer check out this week or next.

All things considered, I've never enjoyed a new car as much as I have this one. Looks like a keeper.

RJ
    Your story is all too familiar. It seems that most on this board move from skepticism to enthusiasm in their MPVs. So be it...

• rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    Being a mazda tech for 13 years or so, i have owned many and still own a couple of mazdas. My most recent purchase came after the birth of my second daughter- a 2000 MPV. The van was turned in from my district service rep with 9k on it in october, and I needed a van (desperately) so I snatched it up. It's an LX with GFX,RSES, and the 9 speaker stereo system. The blaze red paint is very sharp and I get looks from all age groups when I am driving it. Havent had any trans issues like I've read about in here, and I have not had any customers with trans problems either. I really think its the best looking van on the road.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Yes, it seems that virtually all MPV owners are more than happy with their vans. In fact that was my initial feeling when I just started shopping for a van almost a year ago. I was considering Windstar, Caravan, Odyssey, and Sienna. I even didn't know much about MPV. In my search for more info on the vans I found the Edmunds site and plunged into reading tons of messages on different boards. After a day or so into reading Windstar just didn't exist for me anymore... Then Caravan dropped out... I just remember it as if it were yesterday - I had a piece of paper and wrote down most common problems reported by Odyssey and Sienna owners (like problem with power doors and failing brakes) [P.S. I'm not trying to burn up the flame of Ody vs MPV or something here again...]. And then I noticed a board for new MPV. I remembered a friend of mine telling me about his brother owning the old MPV (89 or 90 M.Y.) and having no problem with it whatsoever so I just thought why not see what is it all about. And when I began to read the posts the first thing that was apparent - the atmosphere on the MPV boards was completely different. Instead of discussing real problems, people were just bragging about their new metal toys. A typical message on almost any car board starts with "I've bought my ???? car some time ago and now I have ??? problem with it". MPV board usually started with "Hi, my name is Jim. I'm a new proud MPV owner. I just love the van..." Something really like that. After that I started to monitor MPV message board regularly and after a month or so I was convinced that MPV is the one for me. I can't say that other vehicles are bad. But I really liked the looks and owner feedback so I just decided to buy it...

So I can say for sure, that I have bought the MPV because of Edmunds and many of you who spend time around here giving your feedback to other people. Now after almost 8 month, I still LOVE the van in almost all aspects. There are some minor annoyances that I have posted about some time back (such as slight intermittent dashboard rattle that comes and goes every second week or so). There has been no mechanical or other problems with the car so far. I hope it will stay that way...

Good luck with your (new and not particularly) vans. And everybody considering it for yourself, just give it a (real) worthy consideration :-)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    It's sure great to come over here and see all the new happy owners. I think I can say that folks here are among the most enthusiastic about their vans. We love our to death, can't get enough and are eagerly awaiting the my2002 rigs to see what's in store...

Off topic...Drew...Rolf is back home in the garage, all shiny and new looking, so I now have to go sit and be surrounded by the leather smells, lol...time for some mods.

--javadoc
  • philbeauphilbeau Member Posts: 19
    Good to know. Seems like every concern I have re: the MPV is fixable. I plan on keping it for some time so I expect the kiddies will get the better of my interior but, knowing it cleans easily is good.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    When: Today
    Where: In a parking lot (where else?)
    Damage: A gouge in the paint job and a dimple in the right rear door.
    Assailant: Unknown

I hope the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal who banged my brand new car gets to spend Eternity watching the car of his dreams lose a Demolition Derby!

Damn, I'm mad!

RJ
    :[

RJ
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Some moronic kid slammed his door into my door last summer and gave me a bad door ding too. Luckily the paint that he left came off easily but I still had a ding. I called up one of those dent remover companies and this guy came out to my house and removed it for $50. You can't even tell that there was anything there. It is all beautiful again and I no longer feel intense anger at that kid (just anger). So maybe it will work for you too, best regards T
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    I noticed today that someone must have backed into me and they left a n long white colored scrape across our nice black front bumper. I'm hoping that it will just buff out, it doesn't appear that there is any dent but it's frustrating to receive the first big scratch. Dh and I both swear that we didn't hit anything. UGH!!!!!

One a happier note, our CD player is in so we can listen to the kid's music now. (I may soon be wishing it was broken again.)

We're also taking our first short trip tomorrow and the pile of stuff to be loaded is quite large, it's not complete yet either. We'll really be testing out the cargo space.

We have a 1 y/o and an almost 2 y/o which means lots of duplicate stuff. Maybe we should have bought a U-Haul truck...
  • bcatusibcatusi Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I have our sights set on a 2001 LX with 4-seasons, Security Package, roof rack, fog lights, and the rear seat ent system. Anyone here get treated well (AND get one of these killer deals that I've seen posted) at a Baltimore / DC area Mazda dealer? I think we could get this vehicle for about $23,500 with the current incentives, but I want to find a dealer (or two) that have a history of providing good deals.

Thanks!
    Brian

PS - Anyone interested in a 1998 VW Passat GLS? We REALLY hate to part with it (we both LOVE this car!) but, alas, a minivan has become a necessity. It has a 1.8T, 5-speed, Satin Silver with 42k miles. If interested, e-mail me at bmc824@yahoo.com.
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    I feel for you. Back in December, my family and I just returned from a trip to TX. On the way home from the airport, another car hit a pothole kicked up a piece of asphalt which then found its way onto my hood at 70 mph!!! Needless to say, my otherwise spotless silver LX now has a dent and accompanying scratches snack in the middle of my hood. I'm hoping to get it fixed soon as I find myself purposely avoiding looking at the damage.

JB
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Hi All,

I have a silver LX and a happy owner. During our great winter when I was removing tons and tons of snow, I had made some scratches on the hood by using a shovel w/o realising it was a bad one. I would appreciate if any one can help me how to remove them. 4 to 5 deep scrathces on the hood.

Also if any one has installed an after market rear seat entertainment system, please give some inputs. I found some systems for about 600$. How much it will cost to install them? The mazda one is very expensive right?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes the Mazda system is pricey, but consider these points:

1) The Mazda system has been approved by the same engineers that built the van to start with. The testing that Mazda accessories go through is unbelievable(sometimes, outright ridiculous). All factory accessories also must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards(FMVSS). This is why you don't see the displays in the headrests.

2) If you need warranty work done and the technician finds your system is at fault, expect to pay more than you saved for the aftermarket system.

3) If your van was sold with the RSES, the warranty on the whole system is 36/50k. If a factory system is installed after purchase of the vehicle, the warranty is 12/12k.

4) Repair of the factory system and parts can be obtained through any Mazda dealer. ** service may vary by dealer** :)

Of course, with everything, your personal situation should dictate your choices,but those are a few good reasons to consider the factory system.

Okay, I hate myself for asking this, but...

Is anyone towing w/their MPVs? Mrs. Javadoc is talking about wanting a travel trailer to go camping w/ the java-runts (and me I...I think). What are folks' experiences, if any, towing with our beloved vans?

--Javadoc
  • bcatusibcatusi Member Posts: 6
    2001 LX with 4-seasons, Security Package, roof rack, fog lights, and the rear seat ent system: $23,400 including destination charge. This is the quote I received from a dealer through Carpoint.com. It *seems* like a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts?
    You got a good deal, I would jump on it. I calculated your MSRP at $26,705 including dest. Invoice is $24,494. There is a $1000 factory to dealer incentive that is good till 4/2/01. There is also a $500 rebate, I assume the dealer wants. Not counting 2% holdback, which is an overhead expense,it looks like the dealer will make $500, a fair amount. I would go for it. Just my 2 cents.

Pete
    Columbus, OH
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    I was just over at the women's topic board, and there's this new topic "Mommy Cars". If you go and read what that mom is looking for.......

I let her in on our "secret". :)
    Don't let too many people know about "our" secret. I don't want to pay MSRP +++++++ and be on a never ending waiting list, like Honda Ody owners. I haven't bought my MPV yet:)

Pete
    Columbus, OH
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Picked up our 2001 Silver DX Tuesday night. We had wanted the Sand Mica at first, but after seeing it up close we thought the interior was too light colored (would get dirtier sooner). Also the first one we drove was silver and we figured it was "fate". That and the fact that it is beautiful! After an unpleasant experience at one particular dealership whose name begins with "Q" (I could feel my blood pressure rising and my wife finally and calmly led me out the door.. I should have known better), we ended up dealing with the place where we had first seen and driven one (a DX). At that time he gave us a quote that was better than I was hoping for before we got there. I should mention that we lucked out by getting the sales manager right away as our salesperson. He didn't have exactly what we were looking for, but I later emailed him our needs and an offer based on his original quote and he got the vehicle from another dealer and accepted our offer. Even if I go by Edmunds TMV, he gave us a couple thousand more for our '97 Sable than the other dealer would have given us. And I should mention there were almost 1000 miles more on our trade by the time we finally signed the deal. He stayed with his numbers and it was a hassle free experience. Edmunds TMV is very handy to have. both in terms of the new MPV and our trade in. Let's be honest. I know the dealer didn't lose money on the deal and I don't mind them making a (small) profit, but I think we did great. We got the LX with just a roof rack and floor mats for $13260 and our trade. Sticker was $23.580. The only negative I can see so far is that pesky front/rear, wiper/washer stalk. I didn't know one stick could move in so may directions!
  • abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    Java,

I posted that question a few weeks ago and didn't get much of a response, though to your credit you tried. An MPV with a travel trailer? A tent trailer maybe, but a travel trailer, no way.... especially with an MPV fully loaded with family and belongings. Remember, that 3000 lb tow rating is probably optimistic and is calculated with only a single occupant. The weight of people and all belongings must then be subtracted from the 3000 lb tow rating to find your new rating. Then consider that many RVers subscribe to the 25% rule (don't tow more than 75% of your towing capacity) and there isn't a single travel trailer made that would be suitable for the MPV. I am interested, however, to hear of "real world" towing experience with the MPV. I'm still on the fence because I don't know if it can adequately tow my tent trailer.

-Brian
    Thx for your response abbanat. I'd think it'd tow a tent trailer tho, they're really light. I was looking at these cool pop-ups that weren't canvas-sided. Left the link at the office tho, woops. Starlight or something like that. They run about 1900# dry for the smallest of them, and I think that'd be pushing it when you load it up w/ gear, and like you said, all the people and stuff.

I too wonder if someone out there has towed with the new MPV. Our 1990 was a trooper. It pulled many things it wasn't supposed to, but it was rated at 5,500#. Prolly from a studier frame.

--javadoc
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    I must correct point #3 of maltb's post.

[ 3) If your van was sold with the RSES, the warranty on the whole system is 36/50k. If a factory system is installed after purchase of the vehicle, the warranty is 12/12k.]

I purchased Rosen system through my local Maz dealer (it was installed by Classic Soft Trim) simply because I did not like factory location of VCP. I received in writing from dealer & trim shop that entire system carries SAME warranty as the rest of the vehicle (NOT just 12 months/12K miles as you mention). I was told only because it is a Rosen system (same as factory unit).

I have to add that the quality of this system is amazing. Rosen is same mfr that makes small video screens found on commercial airlines. This system is worth every $$.
    I guess the dealer took it upon themselves to warranty the system. Mazda only warranties parts that are genuine Mazda. Make sure you keep your paperwork as it is the dealers responsibility, not Mazda's.

• sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    So from the replies I understand if I go for Rosen product then warranty might not be a problem. But if I go for something that mazda does not approve then warranty may be void right. If I call mazda directly will they be able to answer something about this.

BTW. Check the TMI theater system. It is a wireless system and does not intrude with any other part except that it takes power from 12v outlet.

Thanks in advance.
    That is not a correct understanding. My previous post was accurate and should be read carefully. Nothing will void your warranty unless it interferes with another vehicle system, but you have that assurance with the Mazda system. The Mazda system is built by Rosen but that does not mean that their aftermarket systems share the same specifications. If your dealer or whoever you buy the system from is willing to make up for any differences in warranty, that is their liability and make sure you have that in writing.

• abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    Java,

There are a few hard-sided popups out there. There are A-frames like Chalet and A-liner (www.chaletrv.com, www.a-liner.com, respectively) and then you have Tow-Lite, Hi-Low, and Trail Manor which are all essentially travel trailers that pop up. Finally there is the Palomino Mustang TXL which has hard sides that pop up and then your standard canvas bunkends. With a family and belongings only the Chalet and A-liner are probably appropriate for the MPV with its small motor and torque characteristics, but they are very small inside. But if you're really outdoorsy, they may be fine for you.

-Brian
  • alicecalicec Member Posts: 6
    I'm still annoyed that the vcp is installed in the middle of the floor. Anyone able to have one relocated elsewhere in the car by the Mazda dealer? I'm going to put in a call to our dealer and ask if this is an option. I'd have it done by the dealer if it's possible to avoid voiding the warranty.
    Thanks Brian, that's what I've been thinking...not enough oomph to tow. Maybe we should buy a nice used (small) RV instead for our weekend excursions into nature. I know, I should get her a 38' Class A Winne and a trailer to tow the MPV behind! Yeah, the bane of the interstate! I kid, I kid.

--javadoc