Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    My wife and I bought our Regal with intention to drive it 8 years or longer. For peace of mind we are mulling an aftermarket extended warranty, but we would do the same with any car, including Maxima.

Being about 30 or 40 year old, the 3800 GM engine is pretty much debugged, and have very good reputation. The same with transmission.

The supercharged version of the parts were around long enough (e.g. with Olds 88 LSS), without many major problems reported. Given we do not plan to push it even harder with aftermarket parts, I do not expect serious problems with the powertrain. And even with the smaller pulley, etc., I would rather expect problems with transmission than engine.

I wish to be so sure in the general quality of GM products. Struts, alternators, radios, etc. Though, according to published data, Buick is one of the top car makes concerning quality - low percentage of initial defects, etc.
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    ...well....except for that beloved dash rattle...
    No arguement here.

My point is, I've only experienced 3 issues
    that could be considered initial quality issues:

* dash rattle

* under car rattle (I think it's the air dam)

* occasional skip on the CD player

In my book, that's pretty good, and a world apart from another GM experience I had
    in '98 (another division, not Buick).
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    ...and just to add to the previous post, my car had 2 issues at time of purchase. The A pillar molding needed replacement (was missing a clip) and the glove box had a broken mounting screw (requiring the installation of a new box).

My sister-in-law's car had the exact same glove box issue (we bought our cars a few days apart). But she also had a headliner that was not as snug as should be (which was replaced).
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    When turning off the ignition, the a/c would come on with no way of turning it off until either I disconnected the battery or let the battery die. Must have been a somewhat common problem as there was a TSB on it.
    When the battery died, I tried to jump start the car to get it to the dealer. No dice as battery was completely drained. Being absolutely pissed off, I gave the jumper cable a hard jerk. It flew off the car and hit the front fender leaving a gouge about 3/8" x 3" all the way down to the metal. Told the dealer service advisor that when removing the jumper I damaged that area. He said no problem and that they would take care of it for free. Needless to say, I thought that this was a great dealership. That was until I saw how they repaired the gouge. Someone had taken a brush and some black paint and painted over the gouge. Didn't know what looked worse...the gouge or the horrible attempt to repair it. Also, I noticed on my service bill, they charged it off to warranty. $20 for the paint and $37.50 for half hour labor....A five year old could have done an equal to or better job than the tech did. Of course if the tech was a house painter, I could understand the broad brush strokes.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    You do seem bitter?
  • I too considered a Maxima SE. I was NOT impressed for a car at 29K, the Maxima sucks with auto trans, poor response. Nissan only offers one engine choice on this, if I get the top of the line I would expect a little more.

Referencing the Supercharger, I did alot of homework and talked with Pontiac (because of the Bonneville SSEi) service techs, who worked on my 94 Grand Prix, the top tech there said in his 7 years he has maybe replaced 3. Most of the time a beraing may just need replacing at an average cost. The Supercharger replacement cost mind you is $2500+ to replace.....that is what an extended warranty is for if you keep the car.

One definite drawback on all GM cars is altenators, in all my GM cars averaging about 75,000 miles on each I do 2-3 of them, (living in hot S. Fla in the summer kills 'em) with my 94 Grand Prix being the biggest headache at $575 to replace.
  • Picked up the Springfield,MO paper yesterday and the full line GM dealer at Aurora,MO has quite an inventory of Buicks.This is a town of (6500) people 30 miles SW of Springfield,MO.They have an inventory of over (1000) new and used vehicles and had (4) full page ads in the paper.

New Buicks in stock.
    (40) 2001 LeSabres
    (13) 2001 Centurys
    (9) 2001 Regals
    (7) 2001 Park Avenues
    That probably tells you that he sells (4) LeSabres to every (1) Regal.Alot of Buick dealers in our area have one or no Regals in stock.How can you get new people to buy them when they cant even look at one.

December 2000 was a disaster for car dealers in our area.Most dealers said that Dec 2000 was their poorest month ever in the entire history of their dealerships some going back many years.Lousy weather and a poor economy are to blame.

A friend of mine runs a used car lot and said he managed to sell (2) used cars in Dec 2000.A friend of his that has a large used car lot said Dec 2000 was the first month in (27) years of business that he never sold a single vehicle peroid.

Right now would be a great time to buy a new or used vehicle the way it looks.

I cant believe that anyone would be scared to buy a Regal GS because it has a supercharger.Keep the oil level up in it and it ought to run forever. I have a 1967 Oliver 1950 farm tractor thats factory powerd by a 4-53 Detroit Diesel.It has a supercharger that feeds air to a 2 cycle engine running 21 to 1 compression.The original owner told me the supercharger had never been touched and it has over 5000 hours on it which equals 250,000 miles if it were a car.We farm sometimes with a straight pipe on and you can easily hear that 4-53 Detroit for (10) miles.Several neighbors dont like me very good!I dont do it very often.

By the way if anyone does ruin a 3800 supercharger I have a website book marked where you can get brand new ones for $500.He also has complete new SC 3800 motors too at a good price.
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    Well, I went down to the dealership where I traded in the GS tonight and it was gone. The spot where it was sitting was empty. It didn't take too long at all....
    What kind of problems were sold "with" the car? I remember it needing repair work can't remember what it was for....

jackjt

No, not bitter. Just reminiscing the good old times with the GS...Did I tell y'all about the time the dash rattle was diagnosed as loose change in the ashtray?......
    Was gone for awhile. What did you replace the 96 with?
  • That happened to me too. Later on, in fact, I "met" my car at the local White Castle (it had very unique wheels on it)! Turns out, the dealership immediately wholesaled it to a car wholesaler. It happens all the time and it's likely that's what happened to yours.

Zathrus

96GS wrote:

Well, I went down to the dealership where I traded in the GS tonight and it was gone. The spot where it was sitting was empty. It didn't take too long at all....
  • We own a 2000 Regal LS. Concur with all the complaints about dash rattle and front end rattle.
    Otherwise, it's a nice car.
    We have another unusual problem. While listening to the radio, if the rear window defogger is turned on, radio reception becomes very weak--full of static. The dealer replaced the radio, with no effect. Now they want to replace the rear window. Don't know if I want them to do that. Might cause more problems with leaks and rattles.
    Has anyone else out there had this problem? Please let me know.
    I haven't had to use my window defogger
    yet but it's a good thing to check; next time
    I'm playing the radio (rarely) I'll try it.

Do you have the Monsoon sound system
    (with diversity antenna)?

I've been on this board for a while and haven't
    yet seen your complaint.

Should be interesting to see if anyone else
    has had that problem.

I too might feel a bit hesitant about letting a dealer pull/replace the rear window for fear of
    wind noise with the new window.
  • BjorBjor Posts: 7
    Heard that Buick is considering reviving the GNX with 270hp supercharger that is supposed to be as fast or faster than the 1986 version. This car will sure help turn the division's reputation around!
  • No, we don't have the monsoon stereo system. Just the CD/cassette system. Sounds good when playing CD's, and the rear defogger problem is only bad when listening to weaker signal radio stations.
    I tried to tell the mechanic that it sounds like a possible loose ground, but he was convinced that it was the radio. Don't think I'll let them mess with changing the window. Will just have to live with it, I guess.
    Thanks for your response.
  • Maxima owners have a good augument for their car being a better buy than the Regal only if the prices are equal. If you are paying more than $25,000, than obviously there are better cars than the Regal. Under $25,000, I feel the Regal is a top choice. I was fortunate to pay only $24,000 for a loaded GSE, so a Regal can definitly be had for under 25. I think Maximas are very nice cars and would put them at the top of my list for an import sedan. What I like about the Regal is I've yet to hear an owner who has a real dislike for the car. Seems like almost all owners are very pleased with their purchase.

P.S. I'm not at all worried about the supercharger. Should I be?
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    By chance, do you have any tinting on the rear window?

On to another topic, anyone read the (somewhat) positive article in the business section of todays (Sunday) Los Angeles Times? For those who haven't, check it out at <http://www.latimes.com/business/20010204/t000010384.html>

Interesting article. Let's hope Buick can pull it off.