Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    My wife and I bought our Regal with intention to drive it 8 years or longer. For peace of mind we are mulling an aftermarket extended warranty, but we would do the same with any car, including Maxima.

Being about 30 or 40 year old, the 3800 GM engine is pretty much debugged, and have very good reputation. The same with transmission.

The supercharged version of the parts were around long enough (e.g. with Olds 88 LSS), without many major problems reported. Given we do not plan to push it even harder with aftermarket parts, I do not expect serious problems with the powertrain. And even with the smaller pulley, etc., I would rather expect problems with transmission than engine.

I wish to be so sure in the general quality of GM products. Struts, alternators, radios, etc. Though, according to published data, Buick is one of the top car makes concerning quality - low percentage of initial defects, etc.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    ...well....except for that beloved dash rattle...
    No arguement here.

My point is, I've only experienced 3 issues
    that could be considered initial quality issues:

* dash rattle

* under car rattle (I think it's the air dam)

* occasional skip on the CD player

In my book, that's pretty good, and a world apart from another GM experience I had
    in '98 (another division, not Buick).
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    ...and just to add to the previous post, my car had 2 issues at time of purchase. The A pillar molding needed replacement (was missing a clip) and the glove box had a broken mounting screw (requiring the installation of a new box).

My sister-in-law's car had the exact same glove box issue (we bought our cars a few days apart). But she also had a headliner that was not as snug as should be (which was replaced).
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When turning off the ignition, the a/c would come on with no way of turning it off until either I disconnected the battery or let the battery die. Must have been a somewhat common problem as there was a TSB on it.
    When the battery died, I tried to jump start the car to get it to the dealer. No dice as battery was completely drained. Being absolutely pissed off, I gave the jumper cable a hard jerk. It flew off the car and hit the front fender leaving a gouge about 3/8" x 3" all the way down to the metal. Told the dealer service advisor that when removing the jumper I damaged that area. He said no problem and that they would take care of it for free. Needless to say, I thought that this was a great dealership. That was until I saw how they repaired the gouge. Someone had taken a brush and some black paint and painted over the gouge. Didn't know what looked worse...the gouge or the horrible attempt to repair it. Also, I noticed on my service bill, they charged it off to warranty. $20 for the paint and $37.50 for half hour labor....A five year old could have done an equal to or better job than the tech did. Of course if the tech was a house painter, I could understand the broad brush strokes.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    You do seem bitter?
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I too considered a Maxima SE. I was NOT impressed for a car at 29K, the Maxima sucks with auto trans, poor response. Nissan only offers one engine choice on this, if I get the top of the line I would expect a little more.

Referencing the Supercharger, I did alot of homework and talked with Pontiac (because of the Bonneville SSEi) service techs, who worked on my 94 Grand Prix, the top tech there said in his 7 years he has maybe replaced 3. Most of the time a beraing may just need replacing at an average cost. The Supercharger replacement cost mind you is $2500+ to replace.....that is what an extended warranty is for if you keep the car.

One definite drawback on all GM cars is altenators, in all my GM cars averaging about 75,000 miles on each I do 2-3 of them, (living in hot S. Fla in the summer kills 'em) with my 94 Grand Prix being the biggest headache at $575 to replace.
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    Picked up the Springfield,MO paper yesterday and the full line GM dealer at Aurora,MO has quite an inventory of Buicks.This is a town of (6500) people 30 miles SW of Springfield,MO.They have an inventory of over (1000) new and used vehicles and had (4) full page ads in the paper.

New Buicks in stock.
    (40) 2001 LeSabres
    (13) 2001 Centurys
    (9) 2001 Regals
    (7) 2001 Park Avenues
    That probably tells you that he sells (4) LeSabres to every (1) Regal.Alot of Buick dealers in our area have one or no Regals in stock.How can you get new people to buy them when they cant even look at one.

December 2000 was a disaster for car dealers in our area.Most dealers said that Dec 2000 was their poorest month ever in the entire history of their dealerships some going back many years.Lousy weather and a poor economy are to blame.

A friend of mine runs a used car lot and said he managed to sell (2) used cars in Dec 2000.A friend of his that has a large used car lot said Dec 2000 was the first month in (27) years of business that he never sold a single vehicle peroid.

Right now would be a great time to buy a new or used vehicle the way it looks.

I cant believe that anyone would be scared to buy a Regal GS because it has a supercharger.Keep the oil level up in it and it ought to run forever. I have a 1967 Oliver 1950 farm tractor thats factory powerd by a 4-53 Detroit Diesel.It has a supercharger that feeds air to a 2 cycle engine running 21 to 1 compression.The original owner told me the supercharger had never been touched and it has over 5000 hours on it which equals 250,000 miles if it were a car.We farm sometimes with a straight pipe on and you can easily hear that 4-53 Detroit for (10) miles.Several neighbors dont like me very good!I dont do it very often.

By the way if anyone does ruin a 3800 supercharger I have a website book marked where you can get brand new ones for $500.He also has complete new SC 3800 motors too at a good price.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    Well, I went down to the dealership where I traded in the GS tonight and it was gone. The spot where it was sitting was empty. It didn't take too long at all....
    What kind of problems were sold "with" the car? I remember it needing repair work can't remember what it was for....

jackjt

No, not bitter. Just reminiscing the good old times with the GS...Did I tell y'all about the time the dash rattle was diagnosed as loose change in the ashtray?......
    Was gone for awhile. What did you replace the 96 with?
  • zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    That happened to me too. Later on, in fact, I "met" my car at the local White Castle (it had very unique wheels on it)! Turns out, the dealership immediately wholesaled it to a car wholesaler. It happens all the time and it's likely that's what happened to yours.

Zathrus

96GS wrote:

Well, I went down to the dealership where I traded in the GS tonight and it was gone. The spot where it was sitting was empty. It didn't take too long at all....
  • buster27buster27 Member Posts: 28
    We own a 2000 Regal LS. Concur with all the complaints about dash rattle and front end rattle.
    Otherwise, it's a nice car.
    We have another unusual problem. While listening to the radio, if the rear window defogger is turned on, radio reception becomes very weak--full of static. The dealer replaced the radio, with no effect. Now they want to replace the rear window. Don't know if I want them to do that. Might cause more problems with leaks and rattles.
    Has anyone else out there had this problem? Please let me know.
    I haven't had to use my window defogger
    yet but it's a good thing to check; next time
    I'm playing the radio (rarely) I'll try it.

Do you have the Monsoon sound system
    (with diversity antenna)?

I've been on this board for a while and haven't
    yet seen your complaint.

Should be interesting to see if anyone else
    has had that problem.

I too might feel a bit hesitant about letting a dealer pull/replace the rear window for fear of
    wind noise with the new window.
  • BjorBjor Member Posts: 7
    Heard that Buick is considering reviving the GNX with 270hp supercharger that is supposed to be as fast or faster than the 1986 version. This car will sure help turn the division's reputation around!
    No, we don't have the monsoon stereo system. Just the CD/cassette system. Sounds good when playing CD's, and the rear defogger problem is only bad when listening to weaker signal radio stations.
    I tried to tell the mechanic that it sounds like a possible loose ground, but he was convinced that it was the radio. Don't think I'll let them mess with changing the window. Will just have to live with it, I guess.
    Thanks for your response.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    Maxima owners have a good augument for their car being a better buy than the Regal only if the prices are equal. If you are paying more than $25,000, than obviously there are better cars than the Regal. Under $25,000, I feel the Regal is a top choice. I was fortunate to pay only $24,000 for a loaded GSE, so a Regal can definitly be had for under 25. I think Maximas are very nice cars and would put them at the top of my list for an import sedan. What I like about the Regal is I've yet to hear an owner who has a real dislike for the car. Seems like almost all owners are very pleased with their purchase.

P.S. I'm not at all worried about the supercharger. Should I be?
    By chance, do you have any tinting on the rear window?

On to another topic, anyone read the (somewhat) positive article in the business section of todays (Sunday) Los Angeles Times? For those who haven't, check it out at <http://www.latimes.com/business/20010204/t000010384.html>

Interesting article. Let's hope Buick can pull it off.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    obyone: The ABS light was on and the salesman knew about it. They gave me almost 10K on the trade in. Not bad for a 5 year old car, especially since it was the old bodystyle. Man, it was a beautiful car though. I took lots of pictures of it. By the way, the dash never rattled, in fact, nothing every squeaked or rattled.

jackjt: I replaced it with a '98 Mustang GT. I know, it's a lot different than the GS, but I really like it. I still plan on getting the new generation Regal, when it comes out in three or four years.

My buddy posted a few pics of my new car on his website, you can see it here. >

http://www.dran4.homepage.com/joest.htm

• etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    The problem is probably with the rear window antenna grid itself. I have heard of ioslated cases of this and in the Cadillac forum someone had a similar problem and the rear back glass was replaced because of "fractures" in the grid. Keep on your dealer about this as the rear window defogger should not affect your FM performance. I've noticed nearly all car manufacturers are going to these integrated antennas and I just wonder if they are as good as an external mast antenna.

As for reliability of the supercharged 3800 versus the Maxima, I'd put the GM 3800(both versions) up against any Japanese engine in terms of durability and longevity. They have been supercharging this engine since 1992 and I have not heard of any major problems with the blower.
    Congrats on the car. Sure is a big change in handling, ride, performance. Especially with the stick shift. Must be fun learning....

Bushwack

Interesting article. When I had first leased my 97.5 SC Regal, only comments I received was.

"Your company's not doing to well?"

"You're being a tightwad. Can't take it to the grave with you..."

"Cheapskate"

"Now you've really done it. So what's the problem?"

"Why?"

I guess the article is somewhat true as everyone who made a comment is in the forty+ age group and into Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, and Volvo. They all also refuse to buy a MB. Not sure why.

The reason I leased one was that it was the first model year, I liked the way it looked (bought it without test drive), AND I really DON'T give a s**t what anyone else thinks.....
  • regal00lsregal00ls Member Posts: 7
    I too lose my FM reception when I turn on my rear defrost. Dealership replaced my radio with a new one, but still does not work correctly. Right now I am waiting for my new rear window to come in, but also for them to put my old radio back in as the new one has something wrong with the CD player. Keep me posted about yours and I will do the same. I was "glad" to see someone else with same problem, thought I was going crazy.
    Saw that new Stang of yours, beautiful! However you're going to have to change your username to 98GT :-)

I had an 88GT stick which was great fun. I am sure you will enjoy yours. But when you're stopped at a stop light and see a Buick GS slip in next to you, look out!
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I have the same problem in my '00 Bonneville. Just noticed it last week (only had the car 2 wks). The FM band cuts out completely when rear defroster is engaged. AM band gets a bit of static but nothing like the FM. Also appears that the middle section of the defroster grid does not heat well so may be breaks in the grid or something like that causing the problem. Will investigate with dealer. Interesting to hear of others with this problem across the GM family. BTW, a pic of my car is posted in Bonneville 2 forum and the "Showcase you car" forum under "News and Views". It would be nice to see some pics of your Regals sometime.

Buster27 - I see you also have a Suburban - in fact you've had a whole string of them! We love our 95 and use to pull the boat and haul the family on vacations etc. Great vehicle.

Best to all

Ken
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Member Posts: 50
    I had electrical interference with my FM radio while the rear window defroster was on in my 1999 Regal LS. The dealer replaced the rear window, and the problem was solved.
    I am surpised anyone would try replacing the radio, given the problem seems to be with the rear window defroster and the radio ant. in the rear window!!!
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I was looking at the Maxima SE as well. My biggest concern was price.. for my budget I was able to get in a 98 GS with much better miles for about $2000 cheaper than a comparable 1998 Maxima SE... this will more than pay for an extended warranty. I think the Regals seats are more comfortable, though I thought the Maxima had a more polished look to the interior. Regal could stand to lose some of the plastic issues on the inside...

1. What really bothers me is that damn screw in the middle of the door handle.. in a $25,000 car couldn't they have figured a way to hide that damn thing? It is the same as a Lumina, and the Regal GS should not be compared to a Lumina by any means.

2. Also the cup holder and center console isn't positioned well, I am always bumping the damn drink holder open.

3. And the Shifter button should not be on the top of the shifter, should be on the side, so us lazy people can rest our hand on it.

4. Back to the center counsel, its too damn deep, I'm going to get into a wreck trying to find something in there.

5. Cigarette lighter.... can't we replace this area with CD or tape holders? why should a person who doesn't smoke have to have this space wasted... let it be an option for smokers. Otherwise use a damn lighter....

6. Would be nice to have the automatic opener switch in the roof or better yet on the dash somewhere (somebody figure this out) These are the little conveniences that make a $25,000 car worth the money. And keep me from having 2 remotes stuck to my visor.

Just minor things could make the Regal GS a better car. At least its got the supercharger...
    Thanks to all for the response about our radio/defogger problem. If replacing the window fixes the problem, I guess I'll have the dealer go ahead and do it.

tpken- Yes, I guess owning 5 Suburbans in the past 20 years makes me a confirmed Suburban fan. Nothing better for hauling people or trailers. You can have your behemoth Excursions, and trendy Toyota Sequoias. They're all just trying to catch up with the Suburban.
    Thank God for that damn superchager, hey!

I agree with allot of your concerns. They are minor, however, for $25,000+ they should have been engineered out!
    Pick up the newest Motor Trend,,it has the GNX. Also Grand Prix G8 (which is a rear drive configuration of the current platform with 350 hp vette LS 1 engine). The Intrigue OSV. They said taht the only car close to production is Buick probably as Buick turns 100 in 2003, otherwise Olds is history and the Pontiac they say is far fetched.
    I considered a Maxima but did not care for it. Especially that the fully loaded SE has the same engine as the lower model GXE at 222hp. The car with auto trans did not feel like it had 222 horses.....a must for the 5 speed.

Supercharger worries...I did alot of homework, even talked to the tech at Pontiac when my 94 Grand Prix was serviced and her said in his 7 years he replaced 3. (Bonneville SSEi). He said for the most part it may only be a bearing that goes bad. The Supercharger is a 2500+ repair option if it needs replaced...BUT that is what an extended warranty. The one fault GM has is its altenators.
  • officerozofficeroz Member Posts: 25
    Hi Folks, I purchased a 2000 Buick Regal GS back in December after driving a lot of new cars, including the Sebring LXi sedan, the Mazda Millenia, Camry, Accord, Intrepid RT, and countless others. I really liked the Sebring sedan, but since it was so new, no dealers would give a break on them, and I don't pay retail, ever...This is actually my wife's car, and though she balked at buying a Buick, as the name relates to older folks, (which I am fast approaching) but I assured her this was NOT her daddy's Buick! After seeing it and driving it, she was sold, and here we are about 3,000 miles later really loving this machine. I have owned a lot of cars in my nearly 58 years, but for a comfortable, but quick sedan, this one is far and away the best! Her leased Camry had been a great car, in terms of reliability, but it was such a mundane, non descript car, I really didn't enjoy driving it. Being an automotive enthusiast all my life, (still am if you read my bio) this car just fits. I have been lurking on this list for a few weeks, and am happy to find that among this group, there have been few problems with this model. I am looking forward to at least 4 years of bliss with this car.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Interesting to see that several people have had the problem with interference when the rear defogger is turned on. I always wondered if that was a good idea or not. Remember years ago when GM had he FM antenna in the windshield? Personally, I think they should have stuck with the external mast antenna.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    On the Y2K Impala LS. I turned the rear window defroster while my radio was tuned to a FM station and didn't notice a single hiss, buzz or deterioration in reception quality. Could it be that GM corrected the problem in the Impalas?
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    My car lives outside and evey morning I have the front and rear defrosters on for at least 10 minutes while listening to FM radio. I have not had any radio reception problems. I live in a hilly area too.
    Reception fine with my 01 GS...
    on my '00 LS with Monsoon/Diversity Antenna.

Just for fun, even tried it in the garage with
    the defrost on. Sounded great!
    '00 GS with Monsoon/Diversity antenna. With every electrical device on (including interior lights), the sound comes through crystal clear.
    I appreciate all the feedback on the rear window defogger problem. Thought we were going nuts and glad to know that there are a few others out there with the same problem.
    As I mentioned earlier, you can only hear it when trying to listen to a weak signal station. A strong station is not effected by turning on the defroster. The mechanic thought he had fixed the problem because he had only selected local stations with a strong signal. Only when we selected the public radio station with the weak signal could he hear the static.
    Maybe the supplier just sent a bad batch of rear windows the week our 2000 LS was produced.
    Again, thanks for the info.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I echo Buster27's thanks since my '00 Bonneville SE is going to have to go in for a fix for that item - I'll be sure to take along the posts evidencing the fact that it is not a unique situation.

Many thanks

Ken
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Tried my 97 GS's radio with defrost on yesterday and it worked fine.
  • woodybuickwoodybuick Member Posts: 33
    99% of all regals will NOT have a radio problem. What happens is that there becomes a break in the antenna..so small you can't see it. Kind of like when one wire in the defroster goes bad. You can't see the break, but the line doesn't heat up. This is not a common problem on the W body cars.

Regarding availability on regals..how many would you like? I have about 12 GS's and 9 LS's in stock.
    Question: You have quite a number of Regals in stock---why? Have they sold well? What kind of buyer do you have buying the GS's ie age, sex, ...? What other cars have they looked at? What's their reason for buying the GS? What has been your buyer's level of satisfaction with the Regals?

Thanks for your input re the reception. It's been an interesting string.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    FYI, I am 30 yr.old professional, married man... who recently bought a GS. Mainly for the Supercharger, standard options and price... Performance is comparable to higher end imports.

Basically it was a matter of Bang for the Buck.
    and I think it is a nice looking car. One I can haul the kid around it and when I'm by myself have some fun with that supercharger if you know what I mean. I have no patience for idiots on the road and I can't pass them fast enough!!! Also seats were much more comfortable than the Pontiac I drove which I liked because i have a good 45 minute commute to work.

If that helps you. I think the interior is nice but could use some refinement, other than that no complaints yet... my GS is giving me about 20 MPG around town and I'm happy with that.
  • legcnelegcne Member Posts: 8
    I just picked up my Buick GS a couple of weeks ago but I've already got over 1500 miles on it. Really got a great price. There was an LA Auto Show discount in January, a Buick rebate, the dealer gave me invoice + and I had GM credit card earnings. This totaled up, gave me a 28% discount from sticker price.

In stop and go So. CA freeway driving, I am getting a little over 23 mpg. At freeway speeds with mixed terrain, I am getting a little over 29 mpg. Flatland, I am getting a little over 31 mpg. I love this mileage.

I also own a Mercury Sable. Comparable weight and engine size. I get around 15 mpg, 18 mpg and 23 mpg in the same conditions. Don't like this mileage but, this is my wife's car. She just drives it around town.

I agree that the Buick team hasn't caught up with the real world of cabin design, at least what So. CA drivers want. Still looks like it's a car from the '70s. Yes, I am afraid it still is my dad's kind of car. Of course, I am over 60. So, I guess it is my kind of car, too.

I compared the '01 Impala. The cabin design is a lot better in the Impala. Since I put on a lot of miles, comfort is a must. The Buick is the better sitting car, at least for me. The Buick doesn't have a lumbar support. I work around it. The Buick console could be a lot better and more convenient. I doubt they are going to anything about the cabine, until the next model design. They have a design studio in So. CA now.

I also agree that the Buick uses way too much plastic. But, I guess that's where the trade off comes in.

I can really tell the diference with the independant suspension and 4 wheel disk brakes. I find myself looking in the rear mirror a lot, wondering if the guy behind me has good breaks too....
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I sent you an E-mail yesterday......if you did receive it, please replay back to my 'weekend' address::: sfgranados@email.msn.com.

Thanks!
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    are overpowering my electrochromic rear-view mirrors. What's with these extremely bright, blue-white multi-unit headlights on many new cars? Just last night, a BMW 7-series sedan appeared in my mirror, with his low beams blasting my eyes. As he passed, I noticed the pattern of the lights in front of the car - they were the same as mine - a low pool of light directly in front of his car. Imagine what his high beams would have looked like! This on an unlighted stretch of four lane divided highway. It's bad enough when the oncoming traffic gets you. My Regal's auto-dim mirrors are fine for ordinary lights, even on high beams, but these Xenon babies are too much! Now I don't want to go back to the days when government regulations specified the exact "sealed beam" bulb manufacturers could install, but these gadgets, especially when mounted high up on an SUV, are making the roads less safe. What happens to the drivers of ordinary cars without self-dimming mirrors? And, is there some way I can boost the effectiveness of mine? End of rant. Thanks for listening.
  • pfeiffer85pfeiffer85 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how the fog lights can be used with high beams? What about using the fog lights with just the parking lights? Any help in this area would be appreciated.
  • pfeiffer85pfeiffer85 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where you can get a recalibrated PCM that removes the governor that limits the top speed? I've heard rumors about performance tuners who do this sort of thing, but I haven't been able to locate one.