Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The GM dealer who was trying to get me to buy the Denali was initially going to payoff the lease for me...but we all know that it would be rolled into the new price. So I told him to keep the deal seperate and let me worry about the Regal's lease. I had called GMAC to inquire on my payoff figuring it being three months would run me close to $1200. The lady that I spoke to asked how many miles, told her 28,000. She did some calculating and told me if I returned the Regal within the next two days and the odometer did not exceed 28,500, I would be responsible for a last payment of $350.00, so I hopped in the car and dropped it off at the GM dealer and jumped in the Denali, mailing the last check of $350 on the way home. Plus being the second lease with GMAC, you are not required to place a security deposit as with other leases. Careful though....the GMAC lease doesn't come with gap insurance.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Nice deal on the lease. But, no gap insurance? On both GMAC leases? Is that even legal? Or do some states require it and others do not? My GMAC lease has it here in NY. Good luck in the Denali; talk about bigger and better.
  • peufanpeufan Member Posts: 53
    I've never leased.

What the heck is "gap" insurance.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The gap insurance exists not only for leased cars. It covers the difference between the fair market value and the loan balance.

For example, a $25,000 car is totaled the next day after purchase. It was financed by a 60-month loan, one $1000 down. Without the gap insurance, the collusion/comprehensive insurance will pay a fair market value of a used car, i.e. something like 80% of its price, $20,000. The owner is without car, and still owe his bank the difference, $5,000 minus downpayment and the part first month payment going to pay-off, not interest. Something like $3,600.

The gap insurance covers the risk. It is especially important with low downpayment, the longer loans, and the cars, depreciating fast.

About the same is with lease, only somewhat more complicated.
    Thanks man.

Excellent description/definition.

Now what I find amusing is that you called
    it "collusion" insurance.

I know you have been in the US about 5 years
    and still are getting a command of our language. I commend you for that, I am
    humbled by that. In no way is what I'm about
    to say/or have said meant to be a put down,
    as I can tell from your many posts, you have
    a 12 cylinder brain compared to my 6.

Yet, I am amused at the irony of the error, as,
    for most of us, it feels like collusion on the
    part of the insurance company to make us
    buy policies that we don't need, or pay too
    much for them.

Now that I understand what gap insurance is,
    I can see where it is good to know you have
    that option.

Thanks again.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    The GMAC lease on my 98 Intrigue included gap insurance. I think all of their leases do.
    very similar as when a vehicle is totalled, it's contract is bought out and the vehicle sent to the junkyard. When buying out a lease, you consider payments left + residual value. It would be like running the lease to its end and buying it out. On both of my Lincoln Mark VIII's, Ford Motor Co red carpet least had gap builtin. I thought the same for GM. In fact the saleman also stated that it was builtin. Stupid me, after signing the contract and taking the vehicle, noticed the lack of gap the next day as I was browsing through the contract. Needless to say, the salesman was on my "sh*t list". But the bottom line....caveat emptor...buyer beware.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I could sure use a little help regarding purchasing a 2000 (not 2001) Regal GS.

Using various sites like GM BuyPower, Edmunds, CarsDirect, etc. to gather information,... according to CarsDirect, a loaded GS would cost about $24,000 AFTER the $2,000 GM rebate. But can one also go with the GM 3.9% 36 month finance program? Or is it a matter of choosing the rebate vs the 3.9% financing. Here in souhthern California there are still plenty of 2000 GS/GSE models on dealer lots. FWIW, a 2001 model seems to demand an additional $1,500 for the same options.

A quick response from anyone in 'the know' would be greatly appreciated. The car shopping starts this week! Thanks.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    obyone-

I think you should check it out with GMAC, but I have to agree with others here- I believe GAP insurance is included with every GMAC lease.

I have a question for those who are looking at 2001 models more than I am right now. Does the 2001 Regal GS have SEPARATE dual exhausts like previous models or is it just two pipes coming out on one side- the passenger side? Thanks.

fastdriver
    Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, this is a sort of errors the spell-checker cannot catch. Words are looking similar, but have very different meaning. Such mistakes often looks as a pun. Nothing specific with English: the same often happened in the former USSR with non-native Russian speakers.

Concerning the gap insurance. Unfortunately, it is not always easy available. Some insurance companies offer the options, other not. The same with finance packages: as you can see from other posts, it is not obvious, is the gap insurance included in GMAC lease, or not.

When buying the 2000 Regal with very low deductibles, I asked my insurer, if the gap insurance option is available. The answer was negative. The customer service suggested to buy the insurance from dealer, but I decided instead to take the risk. After all, I'd bear the same risk, would I put more down.
    It was very low downpayment, not deductibles.
    The 2001 Regal GS have a pair of pipes, side by side. You can see this here, if you have Quick Time installed:

http://www.buick.com/regal/vgallery/virtual.html

http://www.buick.com/regal/vgallery/videos.html

The same with the 2000 Regal GS.
    This is either-or incentive: either rebate, or low interest financing. To quote GM: Not available with cash allowance.

http://www.buick.com/regal/pricing/current.html

It is a pity you missed the October incentives.
    yurakm-

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm at the Buick site enough times. So, is it still a true dual exhaust or only made to look that way?

Why'd they do that? I like the true dual exhausts coming out the back. Now it reminds me of my 300M! UGH! Once I get rid of this thing, I don't want ANYTHING that will remind me of it!

fastdriver
    Have I got a deal for you...

I received a coupon from Buick (you probably
    will too, about 8 weeks after you buy or lease).

In any case, it is to "give to a friend".

It is for $500.00 off your best deal on a new
    2000 Regal (buy or lease). It can be combined with rebates/finance programs and of course GM dollars. Just can't be used by a GM employee.

It expires 12/31/00.

Anyway, I'm here in San Diego.
    Let me know if you want it.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    I think the last time dual exhaust was on a Regal was the old body style that ended in '88. The next generation had the same as todays current models, single muffler on the right side. The difference in the '89-'96 models was that the 3.1 equipped Regals had a single tip while the 3.8's had two tips. They weren't chrome tips though like todays GS's.
    You wrote: is it still a true dual exhaust or only made to look that way?

I do not know, but most probably not - if "true" dual exhaust is with pipes going from the engine. Two catalytics would be too expensive.
    The Regal's(both LS and GS) exhaust is basically a single exhaust system with dual outlets on the muffler. This is supposed to reduce back pressure some, but I think it is more for show than anything. Even notice most Japanese cars are like this. My Intrigue is the same way. I'd like to see a dual exhaust like the Grand Prix GT or Aurora has as these look better. But even these are only dual from the converter back. Can you image a supercharged 3800 with a true dual exhaust:)
    Maybe that's what I was thinking of- the GP GTP with the supercharged engine. Maybe I never even saw a Regal with duals! LOL... I just assumed that the supercharged engines all had duals like my 96 Riv had and the GTP. Thanks for clarifying it. I hate those two exhausts on one side. They should charge a little more and give us a true dual exhaust. It would most likely improve gas mileage too as evidenced by the gang in my 300M group who have added dual exhausts to their cars and have reported improved power AND great gas mileage!

fastdriver
  • sportsdad11sportsdad11 Member Posts: 3
    After reading hundreds of posts on several performance sedans over the past few weeks, I think I've found what I'm looking for. GS posts are more enthusiastic than anything I've read. The beauty of the GS is there aren't a ton of them out there (that's partly why it took me so long to consider the GS for purchase), even compared to 3-series bimmers, Lincolns, Lexus' and so on. I've found a pretty good deal on both a 97 and a 98. I like the 97 better and it has fewer miles. Has anybody heard whether the 97 (first model year) has any more problems than more recent models. Also, does anyone have actual performance numbers on the GS (0-60, slalom, 1/4 mile)? Thanks alot, my sports sedan search has come to an end.
    Have you ever noticed the 3800 has mini headers from the exhaust manifold? I don't think they would actually be considered headers, but there are six separate pipes coming out and extending about four inches from the block and then down towards the y-pipe. The DOHC 3.4 and my old 3.1 just had a regular restrictive exhaust manifold. I was kind of surprised to find that. I would guess that certainly adds some horsepower.
    0-60 in 6.6 seconds for the GS. It runs 14.8-15.2 in the quarter at around 93mph. I'm not exactly sure on slalom, but the stock tires are more for ride and sporty handling rather than racing. The Gran Touring Suspension is a nice compromise I think. As far as reliability, I have a '96, the last year for the old body style and I have not had too many problems. I had a MAF censor go bad and a water pump, but that was it. Ride is still perfect and the interior is quiet as a mouse, except when the stereo is blasting :). The newer designs are even better I'm sure.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    It's got about 300 miles on it and I absolutely enjoy it! Looked at LS's, 300's, BMW, Infinity I30, Maxima....and for the $, power, options and overall quality--the GS was my choice.

So far very happy!
    I had the first year 1997.5 model GS. There were three things that went wrong with the car.

1-When turned car off, a/c compressor would go on and kill battery. Fixed under warranty. TSB issued for correction

2-Passenger rear window failed

3-Most annoying rattle in dash. Never fixed as dealer tech proved less than capable.

That's about it...not bad for a first year....oh yeah one last problem. Driver's window moulding kept shifting to the rear making it difficult to close the driver door. Used a 2x4 and mallet to pound it back into place. Usually good for 2-3000 miles before requiring repeat. Dealer installed clip but that fell out so resorted to my old 2x4.

Good luck on yours...
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    For (16) years Buick Regals have been a part of our family.We have bought the following Regals all new,an 84 Limited,88 Limited,90 GS,95 Custom,and a 98 GS.Also in this peroid we have purchased a new 94 Dodge Intrepid(lemon),89 Toyota Camry(lemon),91 Regal Limited,and a 85&86 T-Type Regals.We currently have four liscensed Buick Regals,98 GS with 33,000 miles,91 Limited with 121,000 miles,86 T-Type with 92,000 miles,and a 85 T-Type with 90,000 miles.The T-Type Regals have the same turbo motors as the famous Grand Nationals.I'm known as Regal-Luvr on turbobuick.com which caters to owners of 78-87 Turbo Buicks.All four Regals are very dependable and I wouldnt be afraid to jump in anyone of them and drive anywhere.In (16) years we have never been left stranded by a Regal and have had only minor repairs such as a water pump,power window motor,and a brake caliper,etc.These cars rate well above average in my opinion.We love our SC3800 powered 98 GS as its a fun car to drive.We live in Missouri and in 1999 took a 6300 mile trip to the west coast in our 98 GS.There were (3) people,tons of luggage,we ran 80+mph with the AC on full blast,pulled mountain grades 3 miles at a time,and got 24MPG using 91 octane.I will catch some flack for this but sometimes we use 89 octane in the GS when we arent running it hard.Alot of stations only carry 87&89 octane these days.It makes me mad when car magazine experts say the push rod 3800 Buick motor is unrefined.I dont need a DOHC motor when a 3800 Buick will run 200,000+ miles with good maintenance.I hope Buick never drops the Regal from its lineup as at age (51) I still feel too young to drive a LeSabre.Recently my wife thought we should replace our 91 Limited with a 98-99 Dodge Intrepid ES.We looked at the Dodge section and I showed her that the 98-00 Intrepids were having lots of major problems so now we will be looking for a 97 GS or 97-98 LS Regal as we know they are dependable.Do you get the idea we love Buick Regals!
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Sportsdadl,
    My dealer Krazy - Glued the molding under warranty without my asking when I had my '99 in for servicing. So unhand that 2X4.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I own a 97 GS and other than a few annoyances it has been a good car. I have seen 0-60 times published in Car & Driver at 6.5 to 6.6 seconds. Other than its Grand Prix cousin, there is nothing in its class or most other sedan classes that can touch that performance. Just don't challenge anyone top end, it has a fuel cutoff at 111 mph.
  • 1nice95gs1nice95gs Member Posts: 7
    I am an 18 year old college student. I recently bought a 95 Buick GS Sedan and boy was I amazed. A couple of guys at work wanted to a drag after I boasted about the supercharged 3.8 V6. Lets just say that won't make fun of my Granny Sport anymore! It has been great but I have one question. If I run regular unleaded will I run into problems? I usually use mid octane but with gas prices the way they are I have had to go cheap. I have noticed some hesitation when using regular but otherwise hasn't affected performance.
  • barneyeabarneyea Member Posts: 20
    It is virtually impossible to install true dual exhaust on the transverse engine. You must get the exhaust from the radiator side around the engine. The factory method is to bring it over the bellhousing and connect it into the firewall side exhaust manifold.
    From that manifold to the exhaust header, there is a flexible joint. The transverse engine moves with torque and would damage the connection if it didn't move. look at the connection and you will see springs on the bolts that allow it to flex.

My '98 GS has a muffler after the converter that is long and round and looks like a glasspack then it curves around the rear suspension into the rear muffler that has two chrome outlets.

There was a post about a month back linking to a Pontiac site that had a cat-back exhaust for the Regal for about $400. The Regal (GNX)show car shown at SEMA had a Borla cat back system, don't know if it is available from them or just a one-off unit.
    You don't have the supercharged 3800, in fact, you have the first generation 3800 with 170 horsepower. Still a very smooth and powerful motor. The supercharger wasn't available until model year '97 when the horsepower went up to 240. In between in '96, the series II was introduced (not supercharged) that made 205 horsepower.
  • 1nice95gs1nice95gs Member Posts: 7
    I beg to differ. In fact my mechanic was the first to point it out to me when I got it checked out. When I asked the dealer if it was supercharged he had his mechanic check it out and it was. If indeed there is no supercharger I would like to know how a 6 cyl. would beat out a 96 Mustang GT
    Take a picture of the motor and post it if possible. If your car does have a super charger mybe it is aftermarket. At any rate the factory did not install it.
    Yes it would be aftermarket because no supercharger was available for a '95 Regal from the factory. I wish it was available though, I missed the supercharger by one year. :(
    didn't know that you were racing... ;)
    ...dry indeed....
    If yours is a 95 and it is supercharged, it is purely aftermarket. I would imagine that it would not be hard to drop a supercharged 3800 in one or possibly add a supercharger to engine. Does the engine have a large plastic cover that says "supercharged"? If so, an entire engine was probably dropped in. if it indeed is a series II supercharged 3800, you will have no problem keeping up with 96-98 Mustang GTs as they are no faster.
    Noticed your post in the Intrigue forum.

Also noticed the whacked out response
    from 1415. He's an odd bird.

I know you said MSRP and indeed are correct in what you stated. Just let it pass man.

When you wrestle with a pig all you do is get
    mud all over yourself and you annoy the pig.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Do any of you have any actual, real world times? From what I have read they seem to vary from 6.5 to 7.3sec?? What's the norm?

Thanks
    Car and Driver uses very accurate timing equipment and as a previous onwner of a very fast 5.0 Mustang I can tell you 6.5 seconds to 60 is very possible. Is every Regal made going to be that quick, probably not, but some may even be faster.
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    I have original sales lit for all Buick Regals built from 1980 to 2001.1997 was deffinitely the first year for the SC3800 to be offered in a Regal so if a 95 GS has one it was swapped in.Over on www.turbobuick.com we have discussed putting a SC3800 into a rear wheel drive vehicle but no one has ever seen it done.I have a nice 82 Regal body that I would love to drop a SC3800 motor in to make a 12 sec drag car.However,the SC3800 is built for FWD cars only so motor mounts are different plus I hear the tranny bolt patterns may only allow for a FWD tranny.Its too bad they didnt offer the SC3800 in Camaros or Firebirds.A S-10 Chev pickup would be a sleeper with a SC3800.Its a shame the SC3800 is offered only in FWD vehicles.I hear that in Austrailia GM builds RWD Holdens with the SC3800 in it.Those lucky Aussies!!I may have to put a 455 Buick in my 82 Regal.I want to keep it all Buick.
    Let me disagree with you in this respect.

My opponent was somewhat mis-informed concerning Regal GS, and nothing worse. He was genuine surprised by some data, and told this. Very natural.

As to "old birds", I like to talk with older people. Always did, from the time I was a small kid. My parent always sent me to my grand parents for the summer vacations. I was spending a lot of time with them and their friends.

Learned a lot from them: from the basic morale and the family (and country) history, and up to some obscure scientific theories which only recently started to go mainstream.

Yes, older people, in average, are complaining more often than younger ones. Does not mater for me.
    It is my belief that one should learn and
    obtain wisdom where wisdom is present.
    Especially wise is he who can learn from
    anothers mistakes without having to
    go through them himself.

Old, young or whatever.

In my post I stated he is an ODD bird.
    I think you may have misread it as OLD.

At the top of his post (which I was responding
    to) were the words "Back Off".

Since that was followed by his response to you, it was my (perhaps incorrect) assumption
    that he was directing "back off" to you.

Those are pretty strong words; (hostile) disproportionately strong in light of the fact that you were merely stating the MSRP of a car.

I read his response to your post which included you re-emphasizing MSRP and a
    link. Yes, it appears that he then genuinely
    reconsidered the facts as you stated them.

The thing I find disturbing is his attitude in the
    first place. If that post were an isolated incident, it would be one thing, but you and I
    both know from hanging around that forum, that it is not. He consistantly blasts (attacks)
    people based on his opinions, which at times
    are informed, and just as many times, are
    misinformed.

Given the delicate nature of this medium,
    as a gentleman, and someone of his experience and wisdom, one would think
    that diplomacy and giving one "the benefit of the doubt" is something he would have
    learned by now; but apparently not.

In any case, thank you for your post and all your posts. You are a gentleman and an
    asset to all the forums you post to.
    I indeed misread your posting, sorry.

And I indeed did not grasp yet more subtle aspects of English, like what wording is strong and what is soft.

Thank you for the explanations!
    yurakm-

Any word yet from GMAC about that insurance?

fastdriver
    No yet. But my dealer gave me papers, stating that the insurance was canceled.

I am waiting for the next bill. If the payment will not decrease, I will call GMAC.
    It's funny about the suspension...

In the "base" model LS the suspension
    is called "sport" suspension.

I test drove an LS with the "sport" suspension
    and it is as most people associate with Buicks; floaty.

Seems pretty odd (there's that word again)
    to describe floaty suspension as "sport".

Moving up to the "Gran Touring" suspension
    you get more of a firm ride (though I would like
    even more firm).

You mentioned a bushing as one of the differences between the two suspensions.

Are you aware of any other specific differences?
    Do you have any sales literature on the 1996 Gran Sport Coupes? I would be VERY interested in seeing it. I have looked far and wide and can't find anything that Buick put out as far as sales literature for the '96 Regal. I have checked all the local dealerships, they threw all their old sales brochures out. My car is very rare, take a look at it and tell me if you've ever seen one like mine before...

http://www.geocities.com/gs96_2000
    supercharger was introduced as a 1997.5 mid year model. I remember cause my '95 Mark VIII's lease expired in perfect timing with the introduction of the midyear SC Regal.

So where is the guy with the supercharged '95? Did he buy it used? Just wondering cause if he was the original owner and had a supercharger and didn't upgrade, then......
    A lady friend of mine swears by Lexus and only Lexus. She was taken by the looks of the 300M. I told her not to do it. She did about 3 weeks ago. I ran into her last night and asked about the 300M. I can't type her response. Needless to say, one way or another she will be in another Lexus by year end.
    Thats pretty bad if she is going on three weeks and already has complaints. I was about to have my father take a look at a 300M or LHS when he replaces his 95 Aurora, but after reading fastdriver's narative as well as others, I'm not going to mention it to him. He probably wouldn't have done it anyway as he has been burned by some of their early 90s offering and loves the V8 in the Aurora.