Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Regal

Comments

• yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    It was very low downpayment, not deductibles.
    The 2001 Regal GS have a pair of pipes, side by side. You can see this here, if you have Quick Time installed:

http://www.buick.com/regal/vgallery/virtual.html

http://www.buick.com/regal/vgallery/videos.html

The same with the 2000 Regal GS.
    This is either-or incentive: either rebate, or low interest financing. To quote GM: Not available with cash allowance.

http://www.buick.com/regal/pricing/current.html

It is a pity you missed the October incentives.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    yurakm-

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm at the Buick site enough times. So, is it still a true dual exhaust or only made to look that way?

Why'd they do that? I like the true dual exhausts coming out the back. Now it reminds me of my 300M! UGH! Once I get rid of this thing, I don't want ANYTHING that will remind me of it!

fastdriver
  • peufanpeufan Posts: 53
    Have I got a deal for you...

I received a coupon from Buick (you probably
    will too, about 8 weeks after you buy or lease).

In any case, it is to "give to a friend".

It is for $500.00 off your best deal on a new
    2000 Regal (buy or lease). It can be combined with rebates/finance programs and of course GM dollars. Just can't be used by a GM employee.

It expires 12/31/00.

Anyway, I'm here in San Diego.
    Let me know if you want it.
  • 96gs96gs Posts: 86
    I think the last time dual exhaust was on a Regal was the old body style that ended in '88. The next generation had the same as todays current models, single muffler on the right side. The difference in the '89-'96 models was that the 3.1 equipped Regals had a single tip while the 3.8's had two tips. They weren't chrome tips though like todays GS's.
    You wrote: is it still a true dual exhaust or only made to look that way?

I do not know, but most probably not - if "true" dual exhaust is with pipes going from the engine. Two catalytics would be too expensive.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    The Regal's(both LS and GS) exhaust is basically a single exhaust system with dual outlets on the muffler. This is supposed to reduce back pressure some, but I think it is more for show than anything. Even notice most Japanese cars are like this. My Intrigue is the same way. I'd like to see a dual exhaust like the Grand Prix GT or Aurora has as these look better. But even these are only dual from the converter back. Can you image a supercharged 3800 with a true dual exhaust:)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    Maybe that's what I was thinking of- the GP GTP with the supercharged engine. Maybe I never even saw a Regal with duals! LOL... I just assumed that the supercharged engines all had duals like my 96 Riv had and the GTP. Thanks for clarifying it. I hate those two exhausts on one side. They should charge a little more and give us a true dual exhaust. It would most likely improve gas mileage too as evidenced by the gang in my 300M group who have added dual exhausts to their cars and have reported improved power AND great gas mileage!

fastdriver
  • After reading hundreds of posts on several performance sedans over the past few weeks, I think I've found what I'm looking for. GS posts are more enthusiastic than anything I've read. The beauty of the GS is there aren't a ton of them out there (that's partly why it took me so long to consider the GS for purchase), even compared to 3-series bimmers, Lincolns, Lexus' and so on. I've found a pretty good deal on both a 97 and a 98. I like the 97 better and it has fewer miles. Has anybody heard whether the 97 (first model year) has any more problems than more recent models. Also, does anyone have actual performance numbers on the GS (0-60, slalom, 1/4 mile)? Thanks alot, my sports sedan search has come to an end.
    Have you ever noticed the 3800 has mini headers from the exhaust manifold? I don't think they would actually be considered headers, but there are six separate pipes coming out and extending about four inches from the block and then down towards the y-pipe. The DOHC 3.4 and my old 3.1 just had a regular restrictive exhaust manifold. I was kind of surprised to find that. I would guess that certainly adds some horsepower.
    0-60 in 6.6 seconds for the GS. It runs 14.8-15.2 in the quarter at around 93mph. I'm not exactly sure on slalom, but the stock tires are more for ride and sporty handling rather than racing. The Gran Touring Suspension is a nice compromise I think. As far as reliability, I have a '96, the last year for the old body style and I have not had too many problems. I had a MAF censor go bad and a water pump, but that was it. Ride is still perfect and the interior is quiet as a mouse, except when the stereo is blasting :). The newer designs are even better I'm sure.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    It's got about 300 miles on it and I absolutely enjoy it! Looked at LS's, 300's, BMW, Infinity I30, Maxima....and for the $, power, options and overall quality--the GS was my choice.

So far very happy!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I had the first year 1997.5 model GS. There were three things that went wrong with the car.

1-When turned car off, a/c compressor would go on and kill battery. Fixed under warranty. TSB issued for correction

2-Passenger rear window failed

3-Most annoying rattle in dash. Never fixed as dealer tech proved less than capable.

That's about it...not bad for a first year....oh yeah one last problem. Driver's window moulding kept shifting to the rear making it difficult to close the driver door. Used a 2x4 and mallet to pound it back into place. Usually good for 2-3000 miles before requiring repeat. Dealer installed clip but that fell out so resorted to my old 2x4.

Good luck on yours...
  • For (16) years Buick Regals have been a part of our family.We have bought the following Regals all new,an 84 Limited,88 Limited,90 GS,95 Custom,and a 98 GS.Also in this peroid we have purchased a new 94 Dodge Intrepid(lemon),89 Toyota Camry(lemon),91 Regal Limited,and a 85&86 T-Type Regals.We currently have four liscensed Buick Regals,98 GS with 33,000 miles,91 Limited with 121,000 miles,86 T-Type with 92,000 miles,and a 85 T-Type with 90,000 miles.The T-Type Regals have the same turbo motors as the famous Grand Nationals.I'm known as Regal-Luvr on turbobuick.com which caters to owners of 78-87 Turbo Buicks.All four Regals are very dependable and I wouldnt be afraid to jump in anyone of them and drive anywhere.In (16) years we have never been left stranded by a Regal and have had only minor repairs such as a water pump,power window motor,and a brake caliper,etc.These cars rate well above average in my opinion.We love our SC3800 powered 98 GS as its a fun car to drive.We live in Missouri and in 1999 took a 6300 mile trip to the west coast in our 98 GS.There were (3) people,tons of luggage,we ran 80+mph with the AC on full blast,pulled mountain grades 3 miles at a time,and got 24MPG using 91 octane.I will catch some flack for this but sometimes we use 89 octane in the GS when we arent running it hard.Alot of stations only carry 87&89 octane these days.It makes me mad when car magazine experts say the push rod 3800 Buick motor is unrefined.I dont need a DOHC motor when a 3800 Buick will run 200,000+ miles with good maintenance.I hope Buick never drops the Regal from its lineup as at age (51) I still feel too young to drive a LeSabre.Recently my wife thought we should replace our 91 Limited with a 98-99 Dodge Intrepid ES.We looked at the Dodge section and I showed her that the 98-00 Intrepids were having lots of major problems so now we will be looking for a 97 GS or 97-98 LS Regal as we know they are dependable.Do you get the idea we love Buick Regals!
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Sportsdadl,
    My dealer Krazy - Glued the molding under warranty without my asking when I had my '99 in for servicing. So unhand that 2X4.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    I own a 97 GS and other than a few annoyances it has been a good car. I have seen 0-60 times published in Car & Driver at 6.5 to 6.6 seconds. Other than its Grand Prix cousin, there is nothing in its class or most other sedan classes that can touch that performance. Just don't challenge anyone top end, it has a fuel cutoff at 111 mph.
  • I am an 18 year old college student. I recently bought a 95 Buick GS Sedan and boy was I amazed. A couple of guys at work wanted to a drag after I boasted about the supercharged 3.8 V6. Lets just say that won't make fun of my Granny Sport anymore! It has been great but I have one question. If I run regular unleaded will I run into problems? I usually use mid octane but with gas prices the way they are I have had to go cheap. I have noticed some hesitation when using regular but otherwise hasn't affected performance.
  • It is virtually impossible to install true dual exhaust on the transverse engine. You must get the exhaust from the radiator side around the engine. The factory method is to bring it over the bellhousing and connect it into the firewall side exhaust manifold.
    From that manifold to the exhaust header, there is a flexible joint. The transverse engine moves with torque and would damage the connection if it didn't move. look at the connection and you will see springs on the bolts that allow it to flex.

My '98 GS has a muffler after the converter that is long and round and looks like a glasspack then it curves around the rear suspension into the rear muffler that has two chrome outlets.

There was a post about a month back linking to a Pontiac site that had a cat-back exhaust for the Regal for about $400. The Regal (GNX)show car shown at SEMA had a Borla cat back system, don't know if it is available from them or just a one-off unit.
    You don't have the supercharged 3800, in fact, you have the first generation 3800 with 170 horsepower. Still a very smooth and powerful motor. The supercharger wasn't available until model year '97 when the horsepower went up to 240. In between in '96, the series II was introduced (not supercharged) that made 205 horsepower.
  • I beg to differ. In fact my mechanic was the first to point it out to me when I got it checked out. When I asked the dealer if it was supercharged he had his mechanic check it out and it was. If indeed there is no supercharger I would like to know how a 6 cyl. would beat out a 96 Mustang GT
    Take a picture of the motor and post it if possible. If your car does have a super charger mybe it is aftermarket. At any rate the factory did not install it.
    Yes it would be aftermarket because no supercharger was available for a '95 Regal from the factory. I wish it was available though, I missed the supercharger by one year. :(
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    didn't know that you were racing... ;)
    ...dry indeed....
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    If yours is a 95 and it is supercharged, it is purely aftermarket. I would imagine that it would not be hard to drop a supercharged 3800 in one or possibly add a supercharger to engine. Does the engine have a large plastic cover that says "supercharged"? If so, an entire engine was probably dropped in. if it indeed is a series II supercharged 3800, you will have no problem keeping up with 96-98 Mustang GTs as they are no faster.
    Noticed your post in the Intrigue forum.

Also noticed the whacked out response
    from 1415. He's an odd bird.

I know you said MSRP and indeed are correct in what you stated. Just let it pass man.

When you wrestle with a pig all you do is get
    mud all over yourself and you annoy the pig.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Do any of you have any actual, real world times? From what I have read they seem to vary from 6.5 to 7.3sec?? What's the norm?

Thanks
    Car and Driver uses very accurate timing equipment and as a previous onwner of a very fast 5.0 Mustang I can tell you 6.5 seconds to 60 is very possible. Is every Regal made going to be that quick, probably not, but some may even be faster.
  • I have original sales lit for all Buick Regals built from 1980 to 2001.1997 was deffinitely the first year for the SC3800 to be offered in a Regal so if a 95 GS has one it was swapped in.Over on www.turbobuick.com we have discussed putting a SC3800 into a rear wheel drive vehicle but no one has ever seen it done.I have a nice 82 Regal body that I would love to drop a SC3800 motor in to make a 12 sec drag car.However,the SC3800 is built for FWD cars only so motor mounts are different plus I hear the tranny bolt patterns may only allow for a FWD tranny.Its too bad they didnt offer the SC3800 in Camaros or Firebirds.A S-10 Chev pickup would be a sleeper with a SC3800.Its a shame the SC3800 is offered only in FWD vehicles.I hear that in Austrailia GM builds RWD Holdens with the SC3800 in it.Those lucky Aussies!!I may have to put a 455 Buick in my 82 Regal.I want to keep it all Buick.